PDA

View Full Version : Are we still watching Survivor?

Gizmo
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
me? yes.

Why, i'm not sure. I guess just because I always have. I found myself bored much of watching Thursday's episode. On top of that, there was a time when I knew every past survivor and what season (and almost which episode the got booted). Now I barely remember who won last year. So when we've got 10 super fans (though I wonder if a couple of them have actually seen an episode) and 10 favorites (of whom I recognized 3 by face and 5 or 6 by name), I'm thinking "I hope they vote them off by 2s the first 5 weeks, to speed things up".

Anyone else still watching? Are you still enjoying the show? Why can't I just quit it?

When does Jack Bauer return so I can question my fandom there too?

MadMan
02-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Nope. I will admit I did watch Season 2 of the show though. After that I decided never to get hooked on the show again. I've grown to really hate reality TV over the years.

Spinal
02-10-2008, 03:38 AM
I have never watched a full episode of Survivor.

Sycophant
02-10-2008, 04:17 AM
I have never watched a full episode of Survivor.Me neither. Nor American Idol, 24, or Lost. Am I going to be deported?

number8
02-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Me neither. Nor American Idol, 24, or Lost. Am I going to be deported?

Only for the last one.

number8
02-10-2008, 04:27 AM
And I don't think I've watched a full 10 minutes of Survivor.

MadMan
02-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Me neither. Nor American Idol, 24, or Lost. Am I going to be deported?Okay I can understand the other shows, but why do you not watch Lost? Its an awesome show that's been constantly good throughout its first three seasons. How many shows can you honestly say that about? Hell even some of the past great shows had shaky starts.

Kurosawa Fan
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
And I don't think I've watched a full 10 minutes of Survivor.

This is what I was going to say. I still have no idea how that show works, and I probably never will.

Spinal
02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm still watching American Idol. Although I only got into it a couple seasons ago and I really don't care for the audition part of the show where they make fun of all the bad people.

number8
02-10-2008, 07:09 PM
This is what I was going to say. I still have no idea how that show works, and I probably never will.

Yeah, when it first came on, I just assumed that they dump people on some skeevy jungle and wait until everybody but one quits. The whole games and voting thing is just confusing. And lame. Just let them survive.

Kurosawa Fan
02-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm still watching American Idol. Although I only got into it a couple seasons ago and I really don't care for the audition part of the show where they make fun of all the bad people.

This is my favorite part. :sad:

I don't watch the show at all, but from what little I see of the auditions it seems to me most of the people go on there knowing that they're terrible, and they're just looking for their 15 minutes. Some of them are truly giving it their best and are just misevaluating their own talent, but when that happens the judges seem to notice and generally go easier on them.

The competition part of the show I find a complete bore, especially since, win or lose, all but two winners have fallen into obscurity almost immediately. They still treat it like it's this brilliant, life-altering event. The "drama" of the whole thing is so overdone and silly. Seems like a rather pointless exercise to me, and a whole lot of hype for nothing.

number8
02-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Plus, they play the same song every week for the one who gets voted out.

I don't know if it's still the same, but a couple of years ago when I was watching the show for Taylor Hicks, it was that "So you had a bad day" song. It was torture. Seriously. I genuinely felt bad for the contestants and didn't want any of them to be voted off, just because I didn't want to hear that goddamn song.

lovejuice
02-11-2008, 04:50 PM
The competition part of the show I find a complete bore, especially since, win or lose, all but two winners have fallen into obscurity almost immediately. They still treat it like it's this brilliant, life-altering event. The "drama" of the whole thing is so overdone and silly. Seems like a rather pointless exercise to me, and a whole lot of hype for nothing.

i'm a big fan of academy fantasia, and this same things happen. i don't understand why the winners of such shows don't do well in real entertainment biz.

Spinal
02-11-2008, 06:09 PM

I don't really care what happens after the show. I just like seeing people attempt to appeal to a mass audience under a pressure cooker. I like seeing how people strategize and craft themselves while attempting to cling to some sense of individuality.

number8
02-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't really care what happens after the show. I just like seeing people attempt to appeal to a mass audience under a pressure cooker. I like seeing how people strategize and craft themselves while attempting to cling to some sense of individuality.

I've been told that the best way to do this is to change your hair style every week.

Kurosawa Fan
02-11-2008, 07:02 PM

I just can't seem to get myself interested in a show in which the winner, in the end, doesn't win all that much. I mean, at least with Survivor and the like, you win a huge cash prize. American Idol winners acquire a quick trip down obscurity lane, and what's sure to be an appearance on a VH1 "Remember the American Idol Winners" show in 10-15 years.

Raiders
02-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I just can't seem to get myself interested in a show in which the winner, in the end, doesn't win all that much. I mean, at least with Survivor and the like, you win a huge cash prize. American Idol winners acquire a quick trip down obscurity lane, and what's sure to be an appearance on a VH1 "Remember the American Idol Winners" show in 10-15 years.

Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood disagree. Not to mention that they DO get a million-dollar contract to make a record on Simon Fuller's label. All the winners release an album. If they suck, well then that's on them. They still get the opportunity to make a studio album they never would have gotten otherwise.

Kurosawa Fan
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood disagree. Not to mention that they DO get a million-dollar contract to make a record on Simon Fuller's label. All the winners release an album. If they suck, well then that's on them. They still get the opportunity to make a studio album they never would have gotten otherwise.

Yes, my first post on the subject recognized Clarkson and Underwood. However, that million dollar contract doesn't give the contestant one million dollars. In fact, the contract is said to be pretty bogus. No one knows for sure because 19 Entertainment won't discuss the particulars, nor is any contestant on the show allowed to discuss it (if they do, they'll be sued for $5 million), but leaks have come and they say that Simon Fuller, as their "manager", gets close to 50% of their earnings, plus complete control of the creative process of their album. Standard manager rates are 15-20%. Plus, the contract included language allowing 19 to record and reveal information about the contestant of a "personal, private, intimate, surprising, defamatory, disparaging, embarrassing and unfavorable nature, that may be factual and/or fictional". Not only that, but Fuller has been known to force Idol contestants (since he also signs some of the runners-up) to record songs they don't want on their album, and then dump them immediately after one album struggles. Heck, they just dumped Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard, and Katherine McPhee in the same two week span. In fact, Clarkson and Underwood are the only two still signed to the label. Plus, the winner has to take place in a World Idol competition, where the prize is a whopping $1,400.

All of this information has been reported in the media (link (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=233540)). Again, it's pretty hard to get excited for a contest in which the winner doesn't win all that much most of the time.

number8
02-13-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm happy they dumped Taylor Hicks. The songs Fuller told him to do on his debut studio album was riping shit. Anyone who liked Taylor Hicks should immediately burn that CD and extinguish the fire with piss. What an insult.

Spinal
02-13-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm happy they dumped Taylor Hicks. The songs Fuller told him to do on his debut studio album was riping shit. Anyone who liked Taylor Hicks should immediately burn that CD and extinguish the fire with piss. What an insult.

I was never a Taylor Hicks fan. But I did give the album a listen because I saw it at the library and I was curious. It was indeed terrible. Really, really bad.

I liked that single that Elliott Yamin released though. You know, as far as pop songs go.

number8
02-13-2008, 02:30 AM
I was never a Taylor Hicks fan. But I did give the album a listen because I saw it at the library and I was curious. It was indeed terrible. Really, really bad.

Try and give this one a listen:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4b/Taylor_Hicks_Under_the_Radar.p ng/200px-Taylor_Hicks_Under_the_Radar.p ng

At least listen to the man's own written songs. Too bad no one would now because of that shitty career destroying crap of a "debut" album. I knew I was wrong to root for him to win Idol.