PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock (Season 3)

Mara
01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/tumblr_mvsosxKLlX1qdrbf4o1_500 .gif

number8
01-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Haha, I knew it. I had a feeling they weren't actually going to reveal it. That first five minutes slayed me.

That restaurant scene... :lol:

amberlita
01-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Before the spoilers start flying, how did you guys get a hold of this? I assumed I had to wait until Jan 19th for the PBS airing.

Mara
01-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Before the spoilers start flying, how did you guys get a hold of this? I assumed I had to wait until Jan 19th for the PBS airing.

I haven't found it yet, but I'll pm you when I do.

number8
01-01-2014, 10:05 PM
I usually just watch BBC shows through the official iPlayer using a proxy that makes it think I'm in the UK. Here, it's already up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01dmfz6/Sherlock_Series_3_The_Empty_He arse/

I watched the livestream, though.

[ETM]
01-01-2014, 10:14 PM
It's up on the usual clandestine places now...

Mara
01-02-2014, 12:39 AM
OOOh, this was fun.

ledfloyd
01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Yes, lots of fun.

number8
01-02-2014, 03:47 PM
I really want to make the near kiss either my avatar or my Facebook cover photo but I don't want to spoil it for people.

Kurosawa Fan
01-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Loved this. Such a fun way to bring them back together. I was a bit worried the show would become hyper-serious in the wake of the last finale. Soooo glad they decided to keep things fun.

Wryan
01-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Mostly awesome, but I think I've reached my limit on the "Watson isn't gay" thing, and the conversation between Sherlock and Mycroft about normal people being boring didn't reach much beyond what they've talked about before a few times. I like the little extra shading for Mycroft, though. Fun and funny overall though. Looking forward to the next two. The survival scenarios got me every time. I was so ready to rant and froth at the silliness, especially the one where they throw a body on the ground (from the street level) for little apparent reason, only to replace it almost immediately with "another."

Mara
01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
I liked that Mycroft and Sherlock both thought Sherlock was dim until they met other people.

And everything-- EVERYTHING-- with their parents was hysterical. My favorite was Mycroft calling and crying to Sherlock about them while we can hear them watching Les Miserables in the background.

Mara
01-05-2014, 10:55 PM
GUYS. GUYS.

Those are Benedict Cumberbatch's real parents. And you absolutely must read this interview where the interviewer meets them: THEY ARE A HOOT.

http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/50180070958/scans-of-caitlin-morans-article-about-benedict

ledfloyd
01-05-2014, 11:42 PM
God, that bachelor party scene.

number8
01-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Wow. Knockout episode. Moving, hilarious, plus a locked room mystery? Perfect.

That best man speech... "Did I do it wrong?"

Mara
01-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Just watching now. Sheesh that speech practically got me crying.

Qrazy
01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Hrm personally I found it very fan service-y and a lot of these mysteries don't hold up to much scrutiny. Sherlock's deductions are so often just arbitrary leaps of faith. Here he randomly picked the two mysteries to speak of in his speech which would help him solve the case. I also thought the would be murderer was telegraphed too explicitly.

number8
01-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I've always felt that way about Doyle's stories, though one thing that the show is now using as a crutch is Sherlock's instant reads. They don't even bother explaining how he comes to those conclusions anymore, so they're just writing him as if he's literally psychic. In the stories, Sherlock's always loved explaining his deductions to be cocky, and half the time they're huge leaps, but they're fun to read and go "ahhh" with. I miss all that stuff he used to do in the first season, which is why the hat scene between him and Mycroft was much appreciated.

D_Davis
01-06-2014, 06:56 PM
I think it's good that they should cut down on the stuff that shows how he comes to his conclusions. We should get it, by now. Those moments became kind of tedious during the first 2 seasons, with the flashy editing, text on screen, fast-slomo super-closeup stuff. I get it - he's hype aware of things, and I accept that fact of the character, and I don't need to be shown that stuff. Should leave more time for more interesting things.

Mara
01-06-2014, 07:30 PM
I think this was the lightest-hearted episode yet. Sherlock's drunk read of the room was hysterical.

ledfloyd
01-06-2014, 08:00 PM
I think it's good that they should cut down on the stuff that shows how he comes to his conclusions. We should get it, by now. Those moments became kind of tedious during the first 2 seasons, with the flashy editing, text on screen, fast-slomo super-closeup stuff. I get it - he's hype aware of things, and I accept that fact of the character, and I don't need to be shown that stuff.
To some extent I agree, but that's also why the drunk scene was so wonderful.

Qrazy
01-06-2014, 09:50 PM
I think it's good that they should cut down on the stuff that shows how he comes to his conclusions. We should get it, by now. Those moments became kind of tedious during the first 2 seasons, with the flashy editing, text on screen, fast-slomo super-closeup stuff. I get it - he's hype aware of things, and I accept that fact of the character, and I don't need to be shown that stuff. Should leave more time for more interesting things.

You don't even have a detective story at that point though. The more interesting things it's making room for are just him going to his mind palace and looking constipated as he forces himself to think his way out of any possible situation with tenuous information.

[ETM]
01-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Just watching now. Sheesh that speech practically got me crying.

Practically? We were in tears for various reasons all the way through. Such a great episode.

D_Davis
01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
You don't even have a detective story at that point though. The more interesting things it's making room for are just him going to his mind palace and looking constipated as he forces himself to think his way out of any possible situation with tenuous information.

I've always found that the mysteries are the least important parts about detective stories, and the detective stories I like the best are the ones in which the mystery is just a catalyst for good character interaction.

Mara
01-06-2014, 10:11 PM
I think John and Mary should move into the basement flat at Baker Street. You know... where they found the shoe.

Qrazy
01-06-2014, 10:31 PM
I've always found that the mysteries are the least important parts about detective stories, and the detective stories I like the best are the ones in which the mystery is just a catalyst for good character interaction.

Fair enough, I like good puzzle solving.

D_Davis
01-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Fair enough, I like good puzzle solving.

http://blog.toddstadler.com/img/20060904/slylock.gif

Wryan
01-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Was this the most bizarre (and brightest, holy fuck) Sherlock episode yet? I'm going with yes. It was great though. John going up for the high five after "CRIME SCENE!" almost put me on the floor.

EDIT: And seriously...how awesome is Mary. She's adorable and perfect. I'm loving her.

Mara
01-07-2014, 11:33 PM
She's Martin Freeman's real-life long-term partner and mother of his kids. They have such a great dynamic.

Wryan
01-08-2014, 12:01 AM
She's Martin Freeman's real-life long-term partner and mother of his kids. They have such a great dynamic.

Awesome. That makes everything just so much better. And they do have great chemistry together.

number8
01-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Haha yes. I don't care how silly that was.

ledfloyd
01-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Well that was some shit.

Mr. McGibblets
01-13-2014, 12:29 AM
This entire show is basically fan service now.

ledfloyd
01-13-2014, 12:49 AM
I did not mean that it was shit. Just that, wow.

I liked it a lot. If it's fan service this fan is OK with being serviced.

amberlita
01-13-2014, 04:55 AM
I thought Sherlock was ending after this season.

edit: nevermind. guess there's a 4th series commissioned and possibly a 5th. not sure where I read that (or misread as might be the case)

Mara
01-13-2014, 03:55 PM
I was spoiled on twitter within ten minutes of airing. Grumble.

Gonna watch now.

number8
01-13-2014, 04:22 PM
I really do think it might be a fakeout, though. Perhaps his "web" using old prepared footage to keep the boogeyman going.

Qrazy
01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
I hope not. I enjoy the Moriarty episodes the most and they still have yet to give us a satisfactory explanation for what happened on the roof.

EvilShoe
01-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Maybe Moriarty had an evil Watson setting this up? I would watch.

Acapelli
01-27-2014, 03:32 AM
http://www.avclub.com/article/its-elementary-sherlock-how-the-cbs-procedural-sur-200870

:crazy:

Thirdmango
02-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Being someone who's watched all of Sherlock and all but the most recent two episodes of elementary I wholly disagree with that avclub article. There have been about 2-3 strong episodes of elementary but by and large I've been on the verge of quitting it for a while. The man playing Sherlock is the only shining spot of elementary and this supporting cast the person seems to love is quite flat.