PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Season 1)

Ezee E
10-25-2013, 03:49 PM
I checked out the first episode yesterday and was pretty entertained the entire way through. I think there may be something good here.

Terry Crews' burst was the highlight of the episode, but plenty of other laughable moments throughout.

Henry Gale
10-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Well if you enjoy it now, it's basically improved with every episode so far. They've already started experimenting with its storytelling and comedic rhythms and have been having new unexpected pairings of characters in plotlines each week, something other ensemble comedies struggle to do until it's something of a necessity to shake things up. Very happy that FOX is putting a lot of confidence in it, already giving it a full season and the post-Superbowl slot with New Girl. It's strong stuff.

And as much as I don't want to nitpick to have the thread title redone, the show is titled Brooklyn Nine-Nine[/B] instead of Brooklyn 99 (even though the latter does technically make more sense). But the constant #brooklyn99 hashtag in the corner of every scene does it best to make me second guess this.

number8
10-26-2013, 03:43 PM
And as much as I don't want to nitpick to have the thread title redone, the show is titled Brooklyn Nine-Nine[/B] instead of Brooklyn 99 (even though the latter does technically make more sense). But the constant #brooklyn99 hashtag in the corner of every scene does it best to make me second guess this.

It's ok, it bothered me too.

number8
10-26-2013, 03:51 PM
The Halloween episode was so great.

Everyone keeps picking Lo Truglio, Crews, or Peretti as the MVPs, but I'm gonna go with Braugher. He takes his straight man role to such an extreme that I find myself laughing madly every time he says things with a deadpan face.

"I'm considering it. I'm interested. I agree to participate."

Ezee E
10-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah, Braugher is pretty great. I didn't know he was in the show, and laughed out loud bigtime at many of his moments.

You know, come to think of it, probably more then Crews, Crews just had the funniest spot.

Mara
10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Braugher's delivery on this line: “I went to Barbados with my husband. We wove hats out of palm fronds and swam with the stingrays. I’ve never been happier.”... was hysterical.

number8
10-27-2013, 02:57 AM
I love this:

SCHUR: We found out Andy had left SNL, and suddenly it was like, “Oh, that could work.” We went to Fox and said, “What would you think about Andy Samb-?,” and before we finished his name they were like, “Yes, go get him!” We pitched the show to him, and as we were explaining the character in this verbose, florid way, he said, “Oh, it’s comedy McNulty.” We were like, “Yes … that’s the two-word version of our rambling description.” We said later, “He’s totally the right guy for the job, because he was able to distill it in that way.”

Mara
11-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Interaction between Braugher and Crews was the highlight of this last ep. They're great together.

Winston*
11-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Interaction between Braugher and Crews was the highlight of this last ep. They're great together.

Crews stifling a yawn.

Mara
11-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Crews falling asleep while doing pull-ups was genuinely frightening. I was waiting for his arms to tear off.

number8
11-07-2013, 01:22 PM
This show is killing it. The characters are all really likable to the point where they can mix and match pairings and have them still work, and on top of that, they actually try to have them solve decently compelling cases.

"What are you talking about, my hair is a mess."

Mara
11-07-2013, 01:38 PM
It actually takes some pretty skilled writing to break up a large ensemble into groups with different subplots every episode. They're testing out the chemistry, and so far everyone is hitting it out of the park.

For the record, Trophy Wife is having similar success with its ensemble.

Dead & Messed Up
11-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Caught up with the last two episodes. Good times. Braugher's killing it.

Lucky
12-13-2013, 04:57 PM
I know there's not much acclaim associated with the Globes, but it's a nice surprise to see them throw this show in the mix. Certainly the best new comedy of the season. Samberg is deserving of his nomination as well.

Henry Gale
12-13-2013, 06:19 PM
I know there's not much acclaim associated with the Globes, but it's a nice surprise to see them throw this show in the mix. Certainly the best new comedy of the season. Samberg is deserving of his nomination as well.

Yeah, I don't think it's odd for people like us who barely value their awards very much to still feel delighted to see it get some love from them, especially if it means those who do view the GGs as prestigious in any way give the show more attention as a result of it. Not to mention how it might have other guilds and associations consider potentially awarding it further.

number8
12-19-2013, 04:56 PM
The back to back Thanksgiving/Christmas episodes made me so happy.

Kurosawa Fan
12-19-2013, 05:30 PM
The back to back Thanksgiving/Christmas episodes made me so happy.

Yeah, both were phenomenal. This is easily becoming one of my favorite current comedies.

Hugh_Grant
12-19-2013, 11:31 PM
I'll admit I first watched this show only because of Andre Braugher's presence. For the first few weeks of the season, my husband was DVRing it because he was watching that superhero (or whatever it is) show. He gave up on S.H.I.E.L.D., but we've continued to watch (and enjoy) Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Mara
01-15-2014, 05:02 PM
This was great. The show is starting to show some genuine heart without losing its humor.

number8
01-16-2014, 01:40 PM
This was great. The show is starting to show some genuine heart without losing its humor.

They have such a good handle on all the characters already this quickly that they instinctively know exactly how to insert punchlines into genuine moments without ruining it, something that even Parks and Rec took a while to develop. I love the scene in the coat room.

Hugh_Grant
01-20-2014, 12:50 AM
The "Rosa died eight years ago" line made me in stitches.

Gittes
01-20-2014, 01:12 AM
The "Rosa died eight years ago" line made me in stitches.

So good.

Raiders
01-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Rewatching "The Slump" reminded me how awesome watching Terry Crews put together a toy castle was.

"WHERE DO I AFFIX THE PRINCESS TOWER?"

"The fairy princess castle has defeated me. I'm a grown man, with man hands and a man brain. I should be able to put together a dollhouse in less than four hours. Why does it have to be so hard? Look. This screw has three pointy sides and nowhere to screw it in. And there's wheels. What kind of castle has wheels?"

Mara
02-03-2014, 05:47 PM
This episode was not good.

Mara
02-05-2014, 05:26 PM
THIS episode was hilarious, though. Much truer to form.

Henry Gale
02-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Really enjoyed their ret-con explanation to this:

In the latest Brooklyn Nine Nine, Terry Crews says that his favourite cop movie is Francois Truffaut's Breathless. If the mistakes are intentional, that's a pretty weird joke.

He obviously considers film to be a writer's medium!

number8
02-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Yeah, that callback was unexpected and welcome.

I died at "Oh my god, it's black Tom Selleck and white Sidney Poitier."

Winston*
02-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Really funny episode. The ending was sweet.

Raiders
02-06-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm very confused. I swear I tuned in on Tuesday, and they were re-airing the pilot... I thought Sunday's episode was the only new one this week. WTF?

EDIT: DAMMIT. I missed the time shift.

Mr. Pink
02-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Disregarded this initially for no real reason, but gave it a shot after seeing the comments on here and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

The episode from last night was probably my favorite so far, or at least close to it. Samberg's response when his date mentions the Die Hard shirt was hilarious.

Even the lesser episodes are watchable, so I don't think I'll be giving up on this one any time soon.

Henry Gale
02-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Yeah, it has such an effortlessly watchable vibe, and even when I can predict a punchline or the timing of a gag to a tee, it's still so affably funny. Also, the more Chelsea Peretti, the better.

I just can't believe there's only five episodes left in the season (and that they're having the finale in March). At least the positive attention FOX and everyone else has given it makes a Season 2 seem likely despite its ratings. I'd hate to see it go.

number8
03-18-2014, 09:10 PM
You know, for a show that's actually made in LA, they do the best NYC in-jokes.

Henry Gale
03-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Not sure I've ever experienced a 22-episode season (debut, network, comedy, or otherwise) fly by so consistently in time and effortlessly in quality. I can't believe it's already over just as much as I can't believe they took next to no breaks in the schedule. I'm pretty sure they even aired two episodes during the Superbowl week.

At least we know it has another season and that it's a very hard ensemble to undermine. Most first seasons of comedies either have a short season that re-tools itself immediately after (Parks and Rec, The Office U.S.), or takes a little while to find its niche within their first year (Community, 30 Rock), but this show figured itself out so quickly, and if it can find ways of becoming even better with a more nuanced tone, then I am even more excited for next year. But I mean, I also wouldn't be at all mad at another 22 episodes of this sort of stuff.

Not sure how much of Season 2 will focus on Jake's FBI work, especially since it seems like a perfect device to justify the core cast being split apart for the duration of our real-time hiatus. We might just catch up with the tail-end of that before things go back to normal.

number8
04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Well, they said the work will take 6 months, which is exactly how long they'll be away. I'm betting that S2 will start with Jake's first day back at the NYPD, and we'll only see the FBI stuff in flashbacks.

dreamdead
09-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Picked up Hulu Plus for Criterion streaming and this--been very pleased with the consistency of this so far. A lot feels like a carry-over from Parks and Rec character design, but there's still a sweetness to it that it works. It helps that the women here feel legitimately interesting, a fact that few comedies get right.

Just finished the Thanksgiving episode--skimming this makes me excited for the Christmas ep.