PDA

View Full Version : Enough Said (Nicole Holofcener)

dreamdead
10-19-2013, 01:11 AM
http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/3618920/Poster-art-for-Enough-Said_event_main.jpg

dreamdead
10-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Really impressed with Holofcener's film. I've seen most of her films, but this one particularly worked. There are still a few stray bits of overt comedy, but Holofcener generally laces the narrative with a fearfulness of aloneness that grounds the observations and asides about age, divorce, and attempts to make one's partner "better" with a sincerity that enables the material to become more fully textured. Great performances from the leads, and one of the stronger emotional sequences of the child going away to college motifs.

Gandolfini will be rightly nominated for a ton of awards this season.

wigwam
10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
:|

EyesWideOpen
02-14-2014, 01:22 AM
I was kind of blown away by this. Easily one of my favs of the year.

Ezee E
02-14-2014, 03:20 AM
I was kind of blown away by this. Easily one of my favs of the year.

I can see enjoying, but blown away??

dreamdead
02-14-2014, 05:42 PM
I can see enjoying, but blown away??

Everything with Dreyfuss and Gandolfini is pretty exceptional. Where the story falters are those areas where Holofcener focuses on the secondary characters, especially Keener and and Dreyfuss's best friend, as those characters resonate less as fully realized and more as stock characters.

Still, I can easily get behind this as one of the year's best simply because the Dreyfuss/Gandolfini segments are so richly and realistically presented...

EyesWideOpen
02-14-2014, 06:07 PM
I also really liked the scenes between Dreyfus and her daughter and her daughters friend.

DSNT
07-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Damned iPad. I accidentally clicked Nay instead of Yay. Is there a way to change votes?

I haven't been much of a fan of Holofcener's work, but this was decent, mostly thanks to Dreyfuss.

Irish
07-22-2014, 01:49 AM
Love the performances here. My biggest problem with this film is the central conflict. It's ridiculous. It plays like something straight out of a sitcom. A retread plot right out of Friends or Three's Company.

Kurosawa Fan
08-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Love the performances here. My biggest problem with this film is the central conflict. It's ridiculous. It plays like something straight out of a sitcom. A retread plot right out of Friends or Three's Company.

This pretty much nails it, but the chemistry between Dreyfus and Gandolfini, as well as their charm, wins out for me. I spent most of the film either laughing or smiling, so its faults are generally forgiven.