PDA

View Full Version : Escape From Tomorrow (Randy Moore)

EyesWideOpen
10-13-2013, 10:43 PM
imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2187884/)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/gothamcentral79/escape_from_tomorrow_poster-_zps9d9e7685.jpg (http://s213.photobucket.com/user/gothamcentral79/media/escape_from_tomorrow_poster-_zps9d9e7685.jpg.html)

EyesWideOpen
10-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Up on Amazon Instant Video for anyone who this is not playing near.

eternity
10-14-2013, 04:46 AM
Seeing this Tuesday.

Ezee E
10-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Playing at a theater that doesn't take MoviePass. Annoying.

eternity
10-16-2013, 03:19 AM
A very reluctant yay. It's very funny but overwhelmingly misogynistic, and the whole thing really feels like a half measure. Every interesting concept or idea that it explores is only touched upon, hinted at, or is a red herring. If it took place at a fictional park, it probably would not work at all.

wigwam
10-19-2013, 08:59 PM
:|

Rowland
10-19-2013, 09:04 PM
http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showthread.php?14-28-Film-Discussion-Threads-Later&p=496910&viewfull=1#post496910

I didn't much care for it, gents. Ta... How far into this did you last? I thought it was lousy as well (comparisons that I've read with Eraserhead are obscene), but at least some stuff starts happening in the second half to break up the tedium.

eternity
10-19-2013, 09:21 PM
How far into this did you last? I thought it was lousy as well (comparisons that I've read with Eraserhead are obscene), but at least some stuff starts happening in the second half to break up the tedium.

Comparing this to Eraserhead, or any Lynch film for that matter, feels lazy to me. It's black and white and "weird" (whatever that means) but that's where the similarities end.

wigwam
10-19-2013, 11:28 PM
How far into this did you last?

40 mins or an hour? Maybe just 30, i dont remember - what happens? is he crazy or did they go vampires/zombies/disease outbreak?

eternity
10-19-2013, 11:36 PM
40 mins or an hour? Maybe just 30, i dont remember - what happens? is he crazy or did they go vampires/zombies/disease outbreak?

Both, but in the most anti-climactic way possible. He gets spit on by one of the French girls and proceeds to get "cat flu" ... but then there's another him that lives on and unironically wears a fedora...I don't know.

wigwam
10-20-2013, 12:42 AM
sounds like the traffic jam home was the better choice

Dukefrukem
10-22-2013, 12:12 AM
I thought this was phenomenal. Way better than my expectations led me to believe it would turn out. Even the CGI was really well crafted in the manner they used it. I didn't think it dragged or was boring at all; in fact this is one of the few movies this year where I really thought it ended too soon.

number8
10-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Hey, this shit is pretty funny. Especially the last 30 minutes where it went nuts. The initial hype didn't really do it any favors by calling it arthouse surrealism. I was expecting it to be a lot more oblique and flowery based on the reviews, and very much anticipated a sluggish middle. Definitely didn't expect it to be so straightforward, briskly paced, and full of B-movie humor. "Cat flu" slayed me. Kinda felt like Guy Maddin making a movie for Banksy. Or maybe Hanksy.

number8
10-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Not sure why I found the "intermission" card to be funny, but I laughed pretty hard when it randomly popped up.

number8
10-23-2013, 03:59 PM
A very reluctant yay. It's very funny but overwhelmingly misogynistic, and the whole thing really feels like a half measure. Every interesting concept or idea that it explores is only touched upon, hinted at, or is a red herring. If it took place at a fictional park, it probably would not work at all.

I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and say that that stuff is intended to be a satire of good old Disney sexism, since the film borrows quite a few Disney fairy tale imagery and tropes. Can't really defend it with conviction, though.

I give it credit for actually making the fact that it's shot in Disneyworld a significant part of the movie and not just a production gimmick, since a lot of what it's about would be even more inert if it's just generic theme park. Hell, it even addresses the popular Disney urban legends.

Ezee E
10-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Ew...

Grouchy
04-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Yeah, this was great. What 8 said - it's really a B movie throughout, with some really broad and (to me) hilarious humor. People shouldn't really be comparing it to Lynch, but Polanski doesn't seem like such a stretch to me.

I really don't wish to hear why someone would call this "mysoginistic"... That criticism of things just gives me headaches.