PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Korra (Season 2)

Watashi
09-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Anyone watch the premiere tonight? How was it?

Mara
09-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Just watched. Good opening, I thought. I still don't feel quite the connection that I did to the original series, but I'm surprised bow much I missed this world.

Wryan
09-15-2013, 03:00 PM
I echo Mara. I really love this world. If ever someone invents some kind of POV virtual reality device that connects to your brain while you're dying and somehow can transport you to a world of your choice to live out years and years eternal after your bodily death...I would choose this world. Odd thought, but there you go.

Also, these were two rather slight episodes for a starter, but I trust it'll get firing soon enough. That seems to be the pattern. Korra's father is kinda meh, and the uncle seems a little on-the-nose so far.

I never trust people who can somehow calm rampaging beasts or tamp down wild weather or whatnot because most of the time they are the ones who spurred it in the first place, to make a point or demonstrate power etc. And! with the revelation that Uncle came to the throne in Dad's place because he was banished due to...rampaging spirits, well, seems rather fishy.

Mara
09-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Audrey Plaza only has one real schtick, but her voice acting was perfect here.

Lucky
09-15-2013, 09:08 PM
I understand where you're coming from with wanting to live in this world. I even go as far as to wonder what type of bender I'd want to be. I profusely enjoy this show as an adult, but its shining aspect is how it can tap into my childhood imagination like that.

While the show may be treading some common ground with its protagonist resisting authority figures and finding her identity, the world is always a marvel and unique. I don't think I'll ever tire of it, so the show will always have a leg up in that regard.

Winston*
09-16-2013, 06:58 PM
I like Korra as a protagonist, but the supporting cast still feels kind of dull. There's no Toph or Sokka or Iroh.

Mara
09-16-2013, 07:06 PM
I love Bolin, and I'm fond of Tenzin and Asami. Probably not at the level of the original series, but they're good people.

Winston*
09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
I like Tenzin and Asami too. Bolin just feel like a lesser Sokka to me.

Surprising voice cast in this show. Didn't know that Tenzin was played by J.K. Simmons, or that his wife and daughter were played by the comedian Maria Bamford and Sally Draper.

Wryan
09-17-2013, 02:00 AM
I love Tenzin unreservedly (part of this is probably because I love Simmons unreservedly). I also enjoy Bolin/Pabu and Asami. Mako tries, the dear.

We're also forgetting Lin Beifong from the first book. She is wonderful, and I really hope she has a good part in this book. I also really enjoyed Amon as an antagonist. I thought that throughline in the first book was as strong as it reasonably could have been given their intent to only have it play out in one book.

Winston*
09-29-2013, 12:50 AM
The stuff with Korra and her uncle has been kind of disappointing so far. Has gone exactly where you thought it would go when he first turned up. Hopefully there are some surprises to come.

Been enjoying the more low-key parts with Tenzin and his family more.

Wryan
09-29-2013, 01:54 AM
The stuff with Korra and her uncle has been kind of disappointing so far. Has gone exactly where you thought it would go when he first turned up. Hopefully there are some surprises to come.

Agree with this. That's been pretty simplistic thus far, although there have been other pleasures as well.

slqrick
10-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Can't help feeling like the animation is slightly subpar compared to last season. Not sure why exactly, but the action scenes feel a little less...fluid? Could just be my imagination.

This season has been good, but lacking the hook that the stuff with Amon had in the first season. I am enjoying Tenzen and his family quite a bit.

Winston*
10-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Can't help feeling like the animation is slightly subpar compared to last season. Not sure why exactly, but the action scenes feel a little less...fluid? Could just be my imagination.

First 6 episodes were done by a different studio apparently.

The latest mostly Korra-less episode was definitely the best one so far.

Winston*
10-19-2013, 09:45 AM
This double episode was done by the original studio and was fantastic. More like this please.

Qrazy
10-19-2013, 05:13 PM
This double episode was done by the original studio and was fantastic. More like this please.

Yep, really great ep.

Lucky
10-20-2013, 01:13 AM
Man, another half hour and that could have easily been a film. The style reminded me of a moving Hokusai painting. Stellar episode that I need to airmark for the Cutties next year.

Lucky
10-20-2013, 01:41 AM
This series, and I include the original as well, has a way of sucker punching you with moments of genuine emotional rush. The final moment with Juan is one of those moments. I'm still kind of dumbfounded how affecting that episode was following a character we just met.

This one gets a save on the DVR.

Mara
10-21-2013, 05:04 PM
This is awesome.

I am really enjoying this series, although it looks online like some fans like it except for the character of Korra. I actually really like her.

Winston*
10-21-2013, 07:26 PM
My brother told me that people on the internet were angry at the clichedness of the amnesia plot line at the end of the last episode. Hilarious that it ended up being just a vessel for the best episode the show has produced.

slqrick
10-22-2013, 12:17 AM
The only big problem I've really had with this season has been the animation, and wow, was that remedied with that two parter. Just a really incredible hour of television.

Qrazy
10-22-2013, 12:45 AM
I liked Korra in Season One but find her shrill, thoughtless and lacking nuance in this season.

Qrazy
10-22-2013, 12:48 AM
I didn't realize but apparently the Zuko's mom (http://mikedimartinostory.com/2013/03/20/you-really-want-to-know-what-happened-to-zukos-mom/) question has been answered in some graphic novels.

Winston*
11-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Another fantastic episode. They're really making up for the lackluster start of the season.

The rest of the episodes are going to be animated by the Korean studio that did the first season, the two-part Beginnings and this episode. so it should end well.

Mara
11-10-2013, 10:21 AM
This was a weird and wonderful and beautiful episode.

slqrick
11-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Echoing the sentiments, really incredible episode.

I think what made it so striking for me was the great character development for Korra.

Wryan
11-14-2013, 04:19 AM
The last four episodes, from the two-parter to the most recent cliffhanger, have really brought the show back on its feet again. Really beautiful and affecting, especially with Tenzin's spiritual impotence and the journey to the spirit world with Jinora. Finally getting back to some heavy shit again. Love it.

Qrazy
11-18-2013, 05:14 AM
This wrapped up quite well but I have a few quibbles. SPOILERS for the last four episodes of the season.

There was no real sacrifice. I know it's a kid's show but really someone or multiple people should die. There should be some sense of the weight all this carries. Those deaths could have also wrapped up some of these love triangles in a more compelling fashion.

I would have liked to see the reign of the dark avatar for an entire season. Have the show go into post-apocalyptic mode with rebel factions. Instead of making the realization immediate make Korra have to search out and find Raava in a longer arc. As it stands it feels both rushed and certain one liners ('Be careful dear!') seem completely out of place.

On another note now that Vaatu is no longer imprisoned where do you guys think he is? Is he inside Korra now? What was that deus ex machina light ball that Jenora brought down? Was it Raava or just something that generated Raava's regrowth in Vaatu?

Qrazy
11-19-2013, 04:44 AM
What the hell guys? Watch the rest of the show so we can chat about it.

Lucky
11-19-2013, 05:08 AM
Doesn't the finale air next Saturday? I don't have it on my DVR yet.

Qrazy
11-19-2013, 06:02 AM
There was an early internet release (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Legend_of_Korra_ep isodes#cite_note-bryankonietzko.tumblr-30).

Thirdmango
11-24-2013, 10:34 PM
That felt a lot more like a series finale then a season finale. I hadn't actually thought of a bunch of the stuff you brought up there like Vaatu being inside of her (That's awesome if he is).

Qrazy
11-25-2013, 04:54 AM
That felt a lot more like a series finale then a season finale. I hadn't actually thought of a bunch of the stuff you brought up there like Vaatu being inside of her (That's awesome if he is).

There's two more seasons so my guess is that plot thread will be left on the back burner for next season and then we'll see Vaatu return in some manner in the last season.

Wryan
12-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I thought the last episodes were pretty good, although I liked the lead up to them better, actually. I think the overall spirit arc was handled pretty well, made sense, gave us a lot of pretty great visuals, gave Korra (and some other characters) something to struggle with and grow past, so on. I miss Beifong having a more prominent role. I thought the "BE CAREFUL!" line was hilarious, actually, although I agree that I just do not get what they're doing with Jinora. Presume that will be developed too in the near future. Can't get behind the voice actor who did Vaatu. Some terrible line readings, trying too hard for portentous and malevolent. First season was stronger overall, I think, but I enjoyed this one plenty.

Winston*
12-04-2013, 11:17 PM
There was lots of stuff in the finale that it didn't feel like they adequately established could happen.

Korra growing huge, Jinora appearing out of nowhere etc.

number8
12-23-2013, 01:49 PM
I watch on Hulu so I'm always a month behind, but the finale really does capture what I feel superhero stories should be. Saving the world should be an emotional rush, and that's something these guys always understood. I get teary at the big moments of this universe, and that's exactly how it should be done.

I did wonder if they were going to drag out the 10,000 years of Dark Avatar thing, but I think it would have been somewhat pointless to do that, since there are still a lot to this new era left to be explored without plunging it into the post-apocalypse. As it is, the fact that Korra can no longer access her past lives and that spirits now freely roam the world are enough of a gamechanger to make the next Book interesting.

BTW, it's really confusing, but this is technically still Season 1, production-wise. Book 3 will be the start of Season 2.

Lucky
12-23-2013, 03:26 PM
They originally planned this as four seasons, correct? So we're only a fourth in?

Thirdmango
12-23-2013, 03:41 PM
They originally planned this as four seasons, correct? So we're only a fourth in?

number8 is right, but only in a weird way. Production codes are the only thing saying this is still season 1. It's still halfway through the series and still after book 2, and so basically everyone still refers to it as season 2. It could also end up maybe only being 2 DVDs or 4, who knows. But the production code stuff isn't really confusing beyond it just being there especially considering there was a 15 month break in between books 1 and 2.

We've done 26 episodes, there are 26 episodes left.

number8
12-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Anyway, speaking of high profile voices, Glenn from Walking Dead killed it as the first Avatar.

number8
12-23-2013, 04:19 PM
number8 is right, but only in a weird way. Production codes are the only thing saying this is still season 1. It's still halfway through the series and still after book 2, and so basically everyone still refers to it as season 2. It could also end up maybe only being 2 DVDs or 4, who knows. But the production code stuff isn't really confusing beyond it just being there especially considering there was a 15 month break in between books 1 and 2.

We've done 26 episodes, there are 26 episodes left.

It's going to be 4 DVDs, since they're releasing it per Book. Streaming-wise, Hulu lists Book 2 as Season 1 episodes 13-26, while Amazon Instant lists Book 2 as Season 2.

The reason for this nonsense is that the show was originally produced as a 12-episode miniseries. In the middle of production, because of the huge hype it received after its announcement, Nickoledeon changed it to a full season order. In animation, a full season is 26 episodes, so they were given 14 additional episodes. Rather than prolonging the story they've written or create filler episodes, the production team decided to just make a 14 episode sequel, which became Book 2. Then, after the series premiered and became Nickelodeon's highest rated program, they ordered another 26 episode season, which the production team is dividing into two 13-episode Books. It's really all just financial shuffling, similar to what AMC did with the final seasons of Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Television episode orders are weird, man.

Qrazy
12-24-2013, 05:08 AM
I watch on Hulu so I'm always a month behind, but the finale really does capture what I feel superhero stories should be. Saving the world should be an emotional rush, and that's something these guys always understood. I get teary at the big moments of this universe, and that's exactly how it should be done.

I did wonder if they were going to drag out the 10,000 years of Dark Avatar thing, but I think it would have been somewhat pointless to do that, since there are still a lot to this new era left to be explored without plunging it into the post-apocalypse. As it is, the fact that Korra can no longer access her past lives and that spirits now freely roam the world are enough of a gamechanger to make the next Book interesting.

BTW, it's really confusing, but this is technically still Season 1, production-wise. Book 3 will be the start of Season 2.

Yeah, but the post-apocalypse is bad ass. Also nothing says season finale like the end of the world.