PDA

View Full Version : Peaky Blinders Season 1

Mara
09-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Watched the first episode, and I'm going to recommend it. It's a BBC period piece about an organized crime family in post-WWI Birmingham. Succeeds fairly well in being appropriately grim and gritty, though sometimes trying a little too hard to shock. The Peaky Blinders is a fairly small family operation with a far reach (so far, into theft, "protection," and gambling.) When they accidentally become involved in a matter of national security, new enforcement comes to town in the person of Sam Neill, who is an aggressive and calculating enforcer who isn't interested in getting on the P.B. payroll.

Cillian Hinds (who I am so, so weirdly attracted to) is perfect in the main role as the power-behind-the-power of the crime family, and as always with the BBC the production values are top-notch. They do a great job of painting the narrow time and place of the action.

Side note: I hate the perfectly-2013 hairstyle of the blond Irish lady. Why would you do this to me? The other girls have period hair.

MadMan
09-17-2013, 09:40 AM
So that's the show that Sam Neil tweeted about working on. Cool. I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

Mara
09-17-2013, 11:51 AM
It has sat well with me. I think I like it more now than right after I first saw it-- I've been returning to it mentally.

Hugh_Grant
09-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Mara, did you mean Cilllian Murphy? A dear friend, who knows how much I love him, asked me if I had heard of this show. I had not.

Mara
09-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Mara, did you mean Cilllian Murphy? A dear friend, who knows how much I love him, asked me if I had heard of this show. I had not.

I DID.

I confuse the names of Cillian Murphy and Ciaran Hinds. They are both good actors, but you'd think I could keep them straight.

I'm an episode behind now, but I'm going to catch up soon.

Mara
09-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Ah, yes. I am going to like this.

The second episode sets up some long-term conflicts, shifting allegiances and character strengthening that I think are going to play out very well. The choice to incorporate modern music is weird, but their choices don't detract from the atmosphere.

Side note: these accents are impenetrable.

Mara
09-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Up through episode 3. Still really digging it, but I'm not sure I have a good grasp on Tommy's character. He's a criminal and violent, but has been mostly sympathetic until this past episode, where he was pretty much an asshole at the end.

Mara
09-28-2013, 10:33 PM
And please someone else start watching. Thanks.

Winston*
09-29-2013, 05:02 AM
Watching the first episode now. Dirty Three and Nick Cave music in the first 3 minutes. I'm in.

Winston*
09-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Watching the first episode now. Dirty Three and Nick Cave music in the first 3 minutes. I'm in.

Then it ends with a piece from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' Assassination of Jesse James soundtrack. Show's creator must be a big fan.

Anyway, this was pretty cool. Obviously trying to be the British Boardwalk Empire, but is more immediately compelling than that was. Sam Neill's fervent cop seems an improvement over Michael Shannon's fervent cop. Liked his monologue.

Hugh_Grant
09-29-2013, 12:53 PM
And please someone else start watching. Thanks.
Where are you watching this, Mara?

Mara
09-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Where are you watching this, Mara?

I'm being sneaky and justifying it by promising to buy the DVDs when they come out. I'll PM you.

Mara
10-07-2013, 11:42 AM
4th episode was seven kinds of cool. I am totally into this show.

Mara
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Apparently only two episodes left this season.

Winston*
10-17-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm a big fan of Nick Cave but I'm not sure I understand why all the contemporary rock music on the soundtrack is him and The White Stripes. Regardless, this show is very good. 3 episodes in.

Mara
10-17-2013, 11:42 AM
The fourth or fifth episode made great use of Tom Waits' "Time."

The fifth episode felt and seemed very much like a season finale... which makes me nervous for the sixth episode.

Winston*
11-03-2013, 07:25 PM
1 episode to go. Going to nominate Sam Neil for a Matchie next year. He is absolutely killing what could have been a nothing role.

Mara
11-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Personally, I really liked the last episode.

Although it got a tad overblown towards the ending. I would have had more respect for Tommy if he hadn't wavered in rejecting Grace, which seemed more in line with his character.

Totally going to watch the crap out of the next season.

Winston*
11-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Yeah I thought there were a few OTT moments in the finale. Sam Neil with the prostitute was really bad. The final shootout was on the corny side.

The show's not really doing anything new, but it's impressively mounted with some great acting and a strong sense of time and place. I appreciate the British 6 episode season format in keeping things moving. Definitely superior to other WWI era soap operas Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey.

That ending shot better not be a fake out

EyesWideOpen
10-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Season 1 of this just got added to Netflix as a Netflix Original.

Mara
10-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Season 1 of this just got added to Netflix as a Netflix Original.

!!!!

number8
10-04-2014, 10:03 PM
"That's why you should never pretend to be me."

This show is cool as shit.

Mara
10-05-2014, 01:56 AM
"That's why you should never pretend to be me."

This show is cool as shit.

I'm soooo happy more people are checking this out. I think it's due for a rewatch.

EyesWideOpen
10-22-2014, 01:48 AM
This was great. Murphy was the standout but really well acted all around.