PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Dukefrukem
02-25-2013, 05:52 PM
So some high tech dudes over at Eurogamer did an analysis of the Killzone 4 trailer and came up with this analysis. Basically it looks like the norm of everything showed off at the Sony event will run at 1080p@30fps, but also went on to say the PS4 could eventually do 1080p@60fps.

All material we have available suggests that the new PS4 Killzone runs at a rock-solid 30 frames per second at 1080p full HD resolution."

30FPS is the target for Killzone: Shadow Fall, and we don't detect a single dip in performance from this based on the uploaded gameplay feed - a fact mirrored in the 1080p trailer we also have available. It's fair to assume that 30FPS remains the console standard for next-gen. Update: note that all of the material we have available is limited to 30FPS, so if the game features an uncapped update, frames above this threshold cannot be measured. Guerrilla has indicated that the game operates at this level though, so there should be enough temporal resolution in the clip to give a good idea of performance. Also note that of course there is nothing to stop devs targeting 60FPS if they so wish.

Fast forward to the present, and we should take it as read that full HD is now the standard. Killzone: Shadow Fall is set to wave the 1080p banner when it arrives, and based on close, frame-by-frame scrutiny of the trailer, we can confirm this target is being realised fully here, giving us a crisp level of image quality we seldom see outside of PC gaming. But, while this leap gives us an impressive 2.25x pixel increase over the 1280x720 seen in Killzone 3, is this standard actually here to stay for all future releases?

Those hoping to see a trend of fluid 60FPS titles begin from day one will be disappointed, but for Shadow Fall the emphasis is placed on a cinematic spectacle rendered at 1080p30. The frame-rate is confirmed to be capped at 30FPS during interviews with the studio, and based on our feed we see this is absolutely 100 per cent stable throughout the entire demo

Based on specs alone, the PS4 clearly has far more to offer than what we're seeing, and it's worth remembering that Guerrilla would have developed a large chunk of Shadow Fall on incomplete hardware. Our understanding is that final kits based on actual PS4 production hardware are a relatively recent phenomenon, and now the developer has a fixed target to aim for, we may well see significant engine improvements. But if this stands as the level of technical quality we should expect for Shadow Fall's final release, we'll be due for one of the most technically compelling launch titles we've seen in a very long time.

ledfloyd
02-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Mutated Joker and busty Harley Quinn aside, Arkham Asylum was boatloads of fun.

megladon8
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Finished Dead Space 3 over the weekend. Decent game. Better than 2 not as good as 1.

I'm having a hard time getting through the co-cop campaign. Every time someone leaves, it asks me if I want to start from the last checkpoint or I can quit? I don't want to do either. I want someone else to join my group and I want to continue playing.

What did you think of the turns the story took in the final third, with the revelation of Rosetta and then the final boss reveal?

Kinda blew my mind.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2013, 06:40 PM
What did you think of the turns the story took in the final third, with the revelation of Rosetta and then the final boss reveal?

Kinda blew my mind.

Yeh. Pretty great.

Story wise I believe this game is light years better than the other two. Fantastic climax, emotionally resonating, satisfying, it had it all. It's the gameplay, and staging that I felt was weak and it's kinda hard to like a horror game that lacks a sense of horror. It is what it is though... an action game. Both 2 and 3 still failed to capture the pacing the first game did so well.

But I can tell I liked it better than 2 because I'm already on my second play through.

Despite EA grabbing it's tentacles around the franchise, they certainly know how to entice fans and keep them interested in this universe. With the multiple spin off games, digital comics, animes and movies that link around Issac Clarke, it's hard to stay away.

megladon8
02-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeh. Pretty great.

Story wise I believe this game is light years better than the other two. Fantastic climax, emotionally resonating, satisfying, it had it all. It's the gameplay, and staging that I felt was weak and it's kinda hard to like a horror game that lacks a sense of horror. It is what it is though... an action game. Both 2 and 3 still failed to capture the pacing the first game did so well.

But I can tell I liked it better than 2 because I'm already on my second play through.

Despite EA grabbing it's tentacles around the franchise, they certainly know how to entice fans and keep them interested in this universe. With the multiple spin off games, digital comics, animes and movies that link around Issac Clarke, it's hard to stay away.

I read a review in which the writer said he didn't understand the gripes people have about it "not feeling like 'Dead Space'". He said that, well, he completely agrees - it feels like "Dead Space 3".

I thought that was cool. Yes, the universe has expanded, and the gameplay has grown to be more action oriented, but that is not a bad thing. We've watched a series evolve. And there's nothing stopping them from making another entry in the series that goes back to being pure horror.

That being said, though, I did still find the game pretty darn creepy. That first level where you're on the Lunar Colony and the marker is activated, and everything is lit in blood red light - I found that really unsettling.

I also LOVED the alien city. It was the closest I've ever seen to a video game version of Lovecraft's vision in "At the Mountains of Madness" - impossible geometry, an eerie green glow emanating from God-knows-what. It was incredible.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Heh, yeh I need to replay the alien city. I ran through most of it because I was a little creeped out. So yeh, the part I said before about it not being a horror game? That part of the game was a horror game.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
I thought that was cool. Yes, the universe has expanded, and the gameplay has grown to be more action oriented, but that is not a bad thing. We've watched a series evolve. And there's nothing stopping them from making another entry in the series that goes back to being pure horror..

I'd also just like to make a point, I'm fine with evolution if it's done correctly. The problem with Dead Space, its a substandard action game and a mediocre horror game. When you combine those elements, it doesn't bode well for fans with high expectations, and the final result.

[ETM]
02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
So Tomb Raider is getting rave reviews across the board. Lowest I've seen is 8/10.

D_Davis
02-25-2013, 09:30 PM
;468039']So Tomb Raider is getting rave reviews across the board. Lowest I've seen is 8/10.

I know, and I'm shocked. Up until Dark Souls, TR1 was my favorite game of all time. And up until a few days ago everything I saw concerning the new game totally turned me off. However, from what I'm reading, the action (the part that they've been showing non-stop in all previews) is actually NOT the focus of the game. If that's true then CD has done a terrible job of promoting the game, because they've completely turned off the people that love the slow, atmospheric, puzzle-solving and exploration parts of TR1, 2, and Underworld.

The new game sounds amazing if the reviews are to be believed. I recently signed up for Gamefly, and I'm looking forward to trying it out in the future.

megladon8
02-25-2013, 09:35 PM
I'd also just like to make a point, I'm fine with evolution if it's done correctly. The problem with Dead Space, its a substandard action game and a mediocre horror game. When you combine those elements, it doesn't bode well for fans with high expectations, and the final result.

I disagree with it being a substandard action game. Perhaps the first one, as it was more interested in delivering scares.

With 2 and 3, though, the series steered away from horror and focused more on the action, and really reached a point where it sits comfortably among the best 3rd person shooters on the market. With 2 and 3 the aiming got tighter, the movement more precise, and everything just felt better.

number8
02-25-2013, 10:43 PM
I know, and I'm shocked. Up until Dark Souls, TR1 was my favorite game of all time. And up until a few days ago everything I saw concerning the new game totally turned me off. However, from what I'm reading, the action (the part that they've been showing non-stop in all previews) is actually NOT the focus of the game. If that's true then CD has done a terrible job of promoting the game, because they've completely turned off the people that love the slow, atmospheric, puzzle-solving and exploration parts of TR1, 2, and Underworld.

The new game sounds amazing if the reviews are to be believed. I recently signed up for Gamefly, and I'm looking forward to trying it out in the future.

Did you try the demo that was released last year? I don't think there was a single actiony moment in it. You're just exploring caves in the dark, figuring out some platforming puzzles. It's just a lot more realistic in the platforming environment than "giant switches and cogwheels some ancient culture devised for no reason."

Dukefrukem
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Ugh. Still can't play Dead Space 3 co-op without someone dropping. And then I sit around for hours waiting for someone to join my session.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
These are so funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCe8-1dbXZc

Dukefrukem
02-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Couple of other news posts-

Every Sony-Owned Studio is Working on PS4 Games (naturally)
Naughty Dog – Uncharted 4
SCE Santa Monica Studio – God of War 5
SCE San Diego Studio – MLB: The Show
SCE Bend Studio – Resistance 4
Sucker Punch Productions – Infamous (confirmed)
Evolution Studios – MotorStorm 4
Guerrilla Games – Killzone 4 (confirmed)
Media Molecule – LittleBigPlanet 3
There's a report that every PS4 game will have an available digital purchase

D_Davis
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Did you try the demo that was released last year? I don't think there was a single actiony moment in it. You're just exploring caves in the dark, figuring out some platforming puzzles. It's just a lot more realistic in the platforming environment than "giant switches and cogwheels some ancient culture devised for no reason."

No, I didn't even know there was a demo! Sweet! That's great to hear. Can't wait now.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Uncharted 3 multiplayer goes free to play today.

Stay Puft
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Evolution Studios – MotorStorm 4
Media Molecule – LittleBigPlanet 3

Evolution Studios is making DriveClub. I guess that's not to say MotorStorm 4 won't happen but weird that it would be overlooked by whatever your source was.

Also, the current rumor is that Sumo Digital is making LBP3.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Evolution Studios is making DriveClub. I guess that's not to say MotorStorm 4 won't happen but weird that it would be overlooked by whatever your source was.

Also, the current rumor is that Sumo Digital is making LBP3.

My sources was me. :lol:

Stay Puft
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Ah, well then. :lol:

When you said "news posts" I assumed you were collating this info from a news article or a rumor article or something.

megladon8
02-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Uncharted 3 multiplayer goes free to play today.

I don't understand...there was a subscription fee on this game?

Dukefrukem
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM

No.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Ah, well then. :lol:

When you said "news posts" I assumed you were collating this info from a news article or a rumor article or something.

The two bullets are the new posts. I am just guessing at possible projects.

number8
02-26-2013, 09:18 PM

It means you can download and play the multiplayer mode from the PSN for free without having to own the actual game.

Dukefrukem
02-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Rumor: Microsoft To Announce Next Xbox On April 26

megladon8
02-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Enormous sale on On Demand games on LiVE.

Morris Schæffer
02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Rumor: Microsoft To Announce Next Xbox On April 26

EA has let slip they'll launch close to each other. Also, the next Assassin's Creed game will be called Black Flag and be a pirate game starring Connor's Great-Grandfather.

megladon8
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm at chapter 15 (of 19) in "Dead Space 3" playing on "Classic Mode".

It's much harder, and resource management is getting more important as I progress. Playing the game in its regular settings, you never really have to worry about running out of ammo or health packs - not only do they show up quite frequently, but you are never short of resources to build your own.

However in "Classic Mode", resources are scarcer, enemies are tougher and more numerous, and you have to pull a really fine balancing act between spending your resources on making ammo and health packs, and using the resources to upgrade your RIG.

It is also tricky only having one weapon slot or the first half of the game. I defaulted to a suped-up plasma cutter. I now have that in one slot, and the Evangelizer in the other.

Morris Schæffer
02-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Holy crap! Combat in Mass Effect 3, on the penultimate difficulty setting is fierce, but exciting. I'm not even far yet. This game is going to be epic. I can feel it.

Morris Schæffer
02-28-2013, 05:27 AM
I recall there was some major talk a while back regrding pinball fx 2. I just read that some new star wars tables have been out for it. Reviews are great, all three tables (ten are promised) look slick with great art.

http://www.google.be/search?hl=nl&safe=off&q=pinball+fx2+star+wars&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.d2k&biw=1024&bih=644&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=kfguUaP1C8Sp0QWXvoDoCA

Dukefrukem
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
EA has let slip they'll launch close to each other. Also, the next Assassin's Creed game will be called Black Flag and be a pirate game starring Connor's Great-Grandfather.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2013/02/ac4bfps3uk2d-1362054374.jpg

Dukefrukem
02-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Just pre-ordered Tomb Raider and God of War 4 on Amazon.

God of War 4 was only $40 because of the promocode given to me when I bought Dead Space 3.
Tomb Raider was free because of my stockpile of Amazon points.

<3 Amazon

Dukefrukem
02-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh and this is pretty much exactly how I feel about Dead Space 3. I particularly like the bit about micro-transactions and the robbing the bank analogy. Oh btw, every EA game going forward will have micro-transactions. Fuck you EA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMOoJZTy1p0

megladon8
02-28-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't like the microtransactions either, but is there something stopping you from just not using them?

I've been falling out of love with Yahtzee's reviews lately because of issues that are very apparent in this review in particular - he has that same entitled viewpoint that a lot of the hardcore gamer community has, developing an idea in his mind of how a game is "supposed to be" and then criticizing it every time it deviates from his expectations.

If I hear/read another person complaining about "Dead Space 3" because "'Dead Space' is supposed to be a horror game!" I am going to crap myself.

The series has evolved to something new and different but still recognizable as "Dead Space". Faulting it for that is pretty dumb.

bac0n
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
EA can be rather insidious about them, though. Case in point: Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf. Starting with the last version, there were courses in the game that you had to pay a fee each time you wanted to play them. Fuck that noise.

Dukefrukem
02-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 skipping Wii U due to resource restraints

Winston*
02-28-2013, 11:40 PM
I've been falling out of love with Yahtzee's reviews lately because of issues that are very apparent in this review in particular

I don't like him at all. I think it's a bad outlook for a critic when their starting point is 'what negative things can I say about this thing?".

Dukefrukem
02-28-2013, 11:51 PM
I don't like him at all. I think it's a bad outlook for a critic when their starting point is 'what negative things can I say about this thing?".

Not all his reviews are negative.

TGM
02-28-2013, 11:57 PM

He actually did positive reviews earlier on, but they got such bad reactions from fans that he just stuck with finding negative things to talk about in his reviews. He's actually pointed this out himself in certain reviews, how he actually liked the game, but fans don't want to hear about that, so here's what he found bad about it. It kinda sucks, though, 'cause his positive reviews were actually quite good I thought.

megladon8
03-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Finished "Dead Space 3" on "Classic Mode". Lots of fun. Still can't believe how totally bonkers the game gets at the end - it rocks.

And speaking of bonkers, holy hell "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance", were you designed by a team of 12 year olds with ADHD and a steady supply of pixie sticks??

This game is insane. I just played the first level (of which there are only 7, and if the first level is anything to go by in gauging the length of the others, we're looking at about a 2 hour game here), and it starts at 11 on the insanity meter. I honestly don't know where else the game can go at this point, it's already so batshit insane.

I also really hope that the political "philosophy" (read: nonsense) being spouted left right and center is not meant seriously, 'cause man oh man, it also feels like it was developed by a 12 year old.

So far the main villain's reason for all the crap he's doing (including trying to overthrow an African government that finally has peace for its people) is summed up in the masterful line:

"Give war a chance, man!"

Dukefrukem
03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Duke's news for the day

Assassin's Creed 4 dated Oct. 29, confirmed for next-gen consoles
Rumor: Star Wars 1313 possibly put on hold due to the Disney acquisition
Mark of the Ninja $5 on Steam this weekend
Rumor: Current Gen cost of games will drop to $49 while NextGen will stay at $59
Metro: Last Light Coming This May

megladon8
03-01-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm really looking forward to "1313".

Ezee E
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
12 hours into Ni No Kuni. Story is kind of standard but what a neat world. Kind of what I said in the beginning, only now the guiding is over with thankfully.

Dukefrukem
03-01-2013, 05:57 PM
B4XZRe7abTs

Dukefrukem
03-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Tieg9y9w85M

Ezee E
03-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Is there a release date?

Dukefrukem
03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
No.

EyesWideOpen
03-01-2013, 08:46 PM
12 hours into Ni No Kuni. Story is kind of standard but what a neat world. Kind of what I said in the beginning, only now the guiding is over with thankfully.

I'm just about to hit hour 50.

Stay Puft
03-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Mark of the Ninja $5 on Steam this weekend

This is a great game, btw. People need to check it out if they haven't. $5 is a fucking steal for the amount of content, too.

Ezee E
03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm just about to hit hour 50.

Yeah, I saw where I was at in the game, and I have a LONG LONG way to go. Never realized it was such a long one. This will carry me into Last of Us.

D_Davis
03-01-2013, 10:22 PM
I wish I could see what you guys are seeing in Ni No Kuni.

Beyond the audio and visuals, I can't find a single thing that I like about it.

ledfloyd
03-02-2013, 02:38 AM
On break next week, so I picked up Mass Effect 2. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet, but I'm not very far in at all.

Watashi
03-02-2013, 02:43 AM
Did you play the first one?

megladon8
03-02-2013, 10:25 AM
"Metal Gear Rising" is neat in some places, but also feels very out-dated in others, particularly level design. I just played a level that takes place in a coastal town, and it's basically just a long corridor with sporadic enemies. The town itself is completely empty, no interactivity or ability to explore anything, no variation in scenery, and then it ends with a blue forcefield you can't pass.

Feels like N64 level design.

ledfloyd
03-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Did you play the first one?
nope.

number8
03-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Duke's still using the youtube tag, huh.

Dukefrukem
03-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Only for those two. For some reason something weird started happening on my PC at work yesterday. I cant press any of the buttons for images, videos or fonts without MC freezing. I tried it on my 2nd work PC and it worked fine. But my main rig is having issues with the site.

Any theories?

Neclord
03-03-2013, 01:03 AM
I am loving Mark of the Ninja.

Winston*
03-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Finished Final Fantasy VI. Awesome climax. I liked how it made you use all of your party, underscoring its importance of personal relationships themes. Kind of a less sophisticated Persona 3. Nice ending sequence too.

This is a game where you both watch a father deal with the death of his wife and son, and fight a talking octopus in an opera house. How much more can you want?

Skitch
03-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Any theories?

Everything working fine on my end.

Lucky
03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Finished Final Fantasy VI. Awesome climax. I liked how it made you use all of your party, underscoring its importance of personal relationships themes. Kind of a less sophisticated Persona 3. Nice ending sequence too.

This is a game where you both watch a father deal with the death of his wife and son, and fight a talking octopus in an opera house. How much more can you want?

Hah! Yes, my favorite entry of the series. The layout of the completely open-ended second half is brilliant. I also liked the split party areas although I would cheat and use the moogle charm with one of the groups. Speaking of the moogle charm, I've never made it up that 70 floor cult tower without it.

ledfloyd
03-03-2013, 04:49 PM
It doesn't get much better than FFVI. Still one of the best games ever.

Winston*
03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Hah! Yes, my favorite entry of the series. The layout of the completely open-ended second half is brilliant. I also liked the split party areas although I would cheat and use the moogle charm with one of the groups. Speaking of the moogle charm, I've never made it up that 70 floor cult tower without it.

I never got a moogle charm. The boss at the top of the cult tower was a fucker. You think you've beaten him and he casts ultima and kills your whole party. Had to do the whole damn tower again, remembering to cast re-raise. Found it pretty easy the second time though. Put reflect rings on everyone and ultima'd the shit out of every encounter.

Didn't find the finale particularly difficult either. Only died a couple of times with my weakest party, and unlike say FFVII there's save points all over the place.

Watashi
03-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I never cared for FFVI. I've played 2/3rds of it and never really had any energy to finish it. I just never found the characters any interesting.

FFIX will always be my favorite.

Winston*
03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Oh, I definitely prefer 7 to 10. Hard to gauge though. I played those games when they were new in my teens, whereas I was playing this 20 years after it came out on my phone.

Kefka is obviously no Sephiroth.

12 and 13 are lame.

Watashi
03-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Ni No Kuni is the last great JRPG I've played in years (though it's one of the only RPGs I've played). Since this new generation is moving away from the classic turn-based JRPGs and becoming more online and action-oriented. As much as I like the Mass Effect franchise, I really miss the good ole days of late 90's on PSX. Wild Arms 1 & 2, Xenogears, FFVII-IX, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, Lunar 1 & 2.... all within a few years of each other.

Lucky
03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I never got a moogle charm.

It's hidden in the spot you get Mog in that cave after the world changes. No random encounters when it's equipped.

Scar
03-03-2013, 06:14 PM
VI is available on PSN, yes?

Winston*
03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
VI is available on PSN, yes?

Yup. Old Final Fantasies were half price their recently Not sure if they've gone back up.

Scar
03-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Yup. Old Final Fantasies were half price their recently Not sure if they've gone back up.

Thanks, hopefully will be able to check it out later next week sometime.

Morris Schæffer
03-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Is there a reason to bitch about Mass Effect 3? I know Duke did if I'm not mistaken, but me? Nah, this is a thrilling adventure on the harder difficulty setting. I'm not far yet, but digging it tons.

EyesWideOpen
03-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Ni No Kuni is the last great JRPG I've played in years (though it's one of the only RPGs I've played). Since this new generation is moving away from the classic turn-based JRPGs and becoming more online and action-oriented. As much as I like the Mass Effect franchise, I really miss the good ole days of late 90's on PSX. Wild Arms 1 & 2, Xenogears, FFVII-IX, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, Lunar 1 & 2.... all within a few years of each other.

There have been a few great turn based JRPG's this gen. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are at the top for me much more so then Ni No Kuni. I'd even put Final Fantasy XIII & Final Fantasy XIII-2 over Ni No Kuni although just slightly.

D_Davis
03-03-2013, 08:35 PM

Persona 4, dude.

If you haven't played it, do it. You'll love it. All the the best parts from dungeon crawls, turn-based JRPGs, collection games (Pokemon), dating sims, and life sims. I got back into it this week. Believe the hype - there's a reason why it's one of the best rated games of all time.

I'll also add some love for Wild Arms - one of my favorites. The '90s on the PS1 were the golden years for the genre.

Skitch
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Finished Darksiders again. I was getting my ass handed to me by the final boss until I went and found the rest of the abysmal armor. Then I laid waste to him with ease.

Ezee E
03-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Is Persona 4 on PS3?

megladon8
03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I would love to play some of the older JRPG's now that I am older.

I just couldn't "get" those games when I was young. I really found turn-based games difficult as a kid (and still do...strategy is just not my thing).

I remember loving "FF VII" but I got to this fight in an elevator that I just could not pass. I must have tried 20 times.

Watashi
03-03-2013, 09:17 PM
That fight is in the first few hours of gameplay when you're still in Midgar. You have the whole game ahead of you.

D_Davis
03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Is Persona 4 on PS3?

I don't think so. PS2 and Vita.

Winston*
03-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Not sure I'll play Persona 4. I loved Persona 3, but my brother played through both and said that while there were gameplay improvements, the follow up was less artistically coherent than its predecessor.

D_Davis
03-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I played through about 1/2 of 3 (maybe a little more), and I'm about 1/4 into 4, and so far I like 4 on the Vita (the Golden version) a lot more. It basically takes everything that was great in 3, makes it better, and adds a ton of new things to it that also make it better. Golden streamlines a lot of the mundane aspects, adds the online features, and because it's on the Vita you can suspend the game at any time making it easy to pick up and play in small chunks or long sessions.

megladon8
03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
That fight is in the first few hours of gameplay when you're still in Midgar. You have the whole game ahead of you.

Which shows you how much I sucked :lol:

Winston*
03-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Which shows you how much I sucked :lol:

Thunder spells, bro.

Winston*
03-03-2013, 11:41 PM
I played through about 1/2 of 3 (maybe a little more), and I'm about 1/4 into 4, and so far I like 4 on the Vita (the Golden version) a lot more. It basically takes everything that was great in 3, makes it better, and adds a ton of new things to it that also make it better. Golden streamlines a lot of the mundane aspects, adds the online features, and because it's on the Vita you can suspend the game at any time making it easy to pick up and play in small chunks or long sessions.

Yeah, he said the gameplay's better but the game is significantly worse in using its gameplay to illustrate its themes.

Acapelli
03-04-2013, 06:19 AM
finished spec ops: the line and max payne 3 pretty recently (the former first, then the latter)

spec ops was a decent run of the mill 3rd person shooter with cool environment specific set pieces that were few and far between. was kind of annoyed by the whole violence desensitization angle that was just hammered at the player over and over

loved max payne 3. shoot dodge and bullet time is still a really fun gimmick. loved the plot too

Winston*
03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Bought Darksiders II for super cheap on the PSN. Looking forward to giving it a go. Enjoyed the first one.

D_Davis
03-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah, he said the gameplay's better but the game is significantly worse in using its gameplay to illustrate its themes.

Interesting. I'd like to hear more of this. Tell him to write something up!

Winston*
03-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Interesting. I'd like to hear more of this. Tell him to write something up!

Doubt he'd do that, but his point was that Persona 3 uses its human connection framework to try to say something about the importance of human connections whereas Persona 4 kind of awkwardly tries to use the same framework to say something else.

Skitch
03-04-2013, 08:09 PM
PS Plus users get Vanquish for free. Still riding out a free month, so I'll give it a shot.

Winston*
03-04-2013, 08:11 PM
PS Plus users get Vanquish for free. Still riding out a free month, so I'll give it a shot.

Got that on PS + in January. It's neat.

number8
03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
At a recent interview at Sony’s Santa Monica studios to discuss upcoming thriller “The Last of Us” — a game whose main character is an older male charged with transporting a 14-year-old girl through a post-apocalyptic landscape — game director Bruce Straley was asked if the roles could have been reversed? “Yeah, there’s no reason why not,” he said.

But could he could actually sell that game to a publisher? Asked more directly if making a game with a female would have been more difficult, he said, “Some time, off the record, we could talk about that all day long and can rip on the industry and enjoy that stuff. But we think we’re doing a good job with the characters and the worlds we’re creating.”

Pratchett did have a theory why there weren’t more Croft-like characters. “The industry tends to be risk-averse, and the current climate hasn’t helped,” she says. “They see mid-20s, white, gravelly voiced protagonist in X game, and X game sells boatloads. So they feel safe having that male character.”

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/tomb-raider-lara-croft-now-battling-video-game-stereotypes/

D_Davis
03-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Doubt he'd do that, but his point was that Persona 3 uses its human connection framework to try to say something about the importance of human connections whereas Persona 4 kind of awkwardly tries to use the same framework to say something else.

He's definitely looking at these games on a completely different level than I am. LOL. I'm looking at them more in utilitarian ways, which is how I usually look at video games - good mechanics, good gameplay, etc. not so much themes and story.

Winston*
03-04-2013, 09:29 PM
He's definitely looking at these games on a completely different level than I am. LOL. I'm looking at them more in utilitarian ways, which is how I usually look at video games - good mechanics, good gameplay, etc. not so much themes and story.

The thematic stuff is what I appreciated the most about Persona 3. The year fixed timeline means that, unlike other RPGs, you can't achieve everything in the game. To make one personal connection means the possibility of not making another.

I think it's a much better example of 'game as art' than, say, Braid (which I still like).

Idioteque Stalker
03-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Finally got Windows working on my Mac. Just in time for SimCity. :pritch:

Dukefrukem
03-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Beat Dead Space 3 on Classic Mode. Moving on to Pure Survival Mode (enemies will not drop health or ammunition, ALL items must be crafted at the bench, and the difficulty setting is locked to 'Hard'.)

megladon8
03-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Beat Dead Space 3 on Classic Mode. Moving on to Pure Survival Mode (enemies will not drop health or ammunition, ALL items must be crafted at the bench, and the difficulty setting is locked to 'Hard'.)

I'm probably going to skip "Pure Survival Mode" and try my hand at "Hardcore".

Though I honestly feel like it may be impossible.

ledfloyd
03-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Warming a bit to Mass Effect 2. If nothing else, the scope of this game is admirable.

Dukefrukem
03-05-2013, 01:56 AM
I'm probably going to skip "Pure Survival Mode" and try my hand at "Hardcore".

Though I honestly feel like it may be impossible.

Yeh but it could be worse. It could be Hardcore mode in Dead Space 2. Dead Space 3's hardcore mode is still so fuckin hard, but definitely easier than 2's.

Dead Space 3: "checkpoints disabled, infinite saves but the player will not be able to reload save upon death."
Dead Space 2: "checkpoints disabled, allowed 3 saves but the player will not be able to reload save upon death."

Sven
03-05-2013, 03:35 AM
Finally got Windows working on my Mac. Just in time for SimCity. :pritch:

Just got a PC tonite and am similarly jazzed.

Dukefrukem
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Looks like I'll be putting movies on hold for a while with two more Dead Space runs to complete, Tomb Raider released today and God of War released next week. Reached Chapter 4 in Dead Space Pure Survival Mode. It's a lot easier than the description makes it out to be. So you don't get ammo or health drops on enemies, but they still drop resources to make ammo and heath. This wasn't clear originally. I thought maybe you would only get resources in crates and storage lockers and stuff. So instead of getting a random drop of everything, you're just getting resources 100% of the time. Between benches you have almost triple the resources you would have without getting 100% resources. So it's almost impossible to run out of ammo.

Dukefrukem
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Well, even though I'm highly critical of the franchise, I hope this report is wrong.

EA is effectively bringing an end to the Dead Space series after canning Dead Space 4 in pre-production, VideoGamer reports. According to the site, who spoke to an anonymous source familiar with the unannounced project, the publisher terminated the development of Dead Space 4 in light of Dead Space 3 failing to achieve its sales targets.

VideoGamer's source claims EA executives informed Visceral Montreal last month of the cancelation along with details of the company's restructuring plans. Two weeks ago, EA did announce layoffs at its studios in Los Angeles and Montreal. The source also claims Dead Space 3 "was almost canceled" mid-development, and that EA told Visceral to bring in a wider audience than previous series entries did by focusing more on action than horror.

EA believed Dead Space 3 could comfortably outsell its predecessors, with company CEO John Riccitiello saying he could see the game selling 5 million units. EA announced Dead Space 3 pre-orders were "outpacing" those for Dead Space 2 in January's earnings call, although the publisher didn't disclose by what margin

Dukefrukem
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Tomb Raider Reviews

Digital Spy (100/100): "With a well written cast of characters, mightily impressive production techniques, sumptuous visuals, tight platforming and surprisingly enjoyable combat, Tomb Raider is most definitely a release to be treasured."

GamesRadar (90/100): "Its expert sense of pacing, captivating setting, and dark tone create a truly memorable experience that's further enhanced by an immense level of detail. Lara Croft, the old Lara Croft, is dead. In place of a dolled-up gunslinger is a do-what-it-takes survivor - and we hope she hasn't had her fill of adventuring just yet."

Polygon (90/100): "It's easy to point out the many ways that Tomb Raider borrows bits and pieces from other popular games of the last five years, but Crystal Dynamics has blended these disparate strengths into something remarkable. It's cinematic yet open, intense yet laid-back, fresh yet polished."

GameSpot (85/100): "The single-player campaign here is the main attraction, and it is excellent. It doesn't try to rewrite the book on third-person action adventure games. But with its excellent controls, engaging heroine, thrilling combat, and fascinating setting, it doesn't need to."

Edge (80/100): "Whether she's huddled up against the cold or sending five men to their doom with an explosive arrow, this is still Lara Croft, one of gaming's most distinctive heroes - and now she has a personality that extends far beyond the bounds of her bra straps. If the purpose of a reboot is to redefine a character and set them up for the future, then this is a job well done."

Dukefrukem
03-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Spec Ops the Line free on PS+ this month.

Fezzik
03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
So I figure, with the downtime, I'll buy a game. I didn't realize that both Sim City and Tomb Raider were out (and both for PC at that).

I think I'd get more playtime out of SimCity, but I've been really looking forward to TR, so I'm not sure which way to go.

Dukefrukem
03-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Try to avoid paying full price on EA games. Go with TR.

megladon8
03-05-2013, 04:07 PM
:lol:

megladon8
03-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Finally starting to get a hold on the combat in "Revengeance". Parrying can be freaking difficult, but it's really satisfying to pull off.

I just wish more work had been put into the world. It feels so freaking empty.

Spun Lepton
03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
There will be no Dead Space 4.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/05/report-dead-space-4-canceled-after-poor-dead-space-3-sales/

D_Davis
03-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm going to pick up TR tonight. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm pretty sure that they've turned the Lara from TR1 and 2 into a Nathan Drake murder-machine. I'm betting that Lara kills more humans in this game than in the first and last 2 TRs combined. I'll probably have same reservations about her as I do the Drake character; how they present her will be very different than they how they want me to perceive her. However, the exploration segments look fantastic, and I love that there won't be blight-yellow colored pipes and ledges marked off to show me the way. I've heard it has some actual exploration - that's cool.

What I love most about TR1 is how few enemies there are. I mean, it was a big deal when you fought two or three wolves or gorillas together, and the big action set pieces were small and tense.

I'm going to try to go in with the most open mind possible, but it'll be hard given my love for the original game, and the last couple of entries, which have been fantastic.

D_Davis
03-05-2013, 11:19 PM
There will be no Dead Space 4.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/05/report-dead-space-4-canceled-after-poor-dead-space-3-sales/

I bet there will be.

EyesWideOpen
03-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm going to pick up TR tonight. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm pretty sure that they've turned the Lara from TR1 and 2 into a Nathan Drake murder-machine. I'm betting that Lara kills more humans in this game than in the first and last 2 TRs combined. I'll probably have same reservations about her as I do the Drake character; how they present her will be very different than they how they want me to perceive her. However, the exploration segments look fantastic, and I love that there won't be blight-yellow colored pipes and ledges marked off to show me the way. I've heard it has some actual exploration - that's cool.

What I love most about TR1 is how few enemies there are. I mean, it was a big deal when you fought two or three wolves or gorillas together, and the big action set pieces were small and tense.

I'm going to try to go in with the most open mind possible, but it'll be hard given my love for the original game, and the last couple of entries, which have been fantastic.

Brad on the last Bombcast said he was only half way through the game and had already killed hundreds of people.

EyesWideOpen
03-05-2013, 11:24 PM
I love the Dead Space series but I don't care if they make another one. They've made three (and two side games) in 5 years. I'd much rather these developers make original games instead of being forced to keep making sequels for the rest of their lives.

ledfloyd
03-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I love the Dead Space series but I don't care if they make another one. They've made three (and two side games) in 5 years. I'd much rather these developers make original games instead of being forced to keep making sequels for the rest of their lives.
Yeah, the Uncharted games are some of the most fun I've had playing video games, but I was kind of disheartened to see Naughty Dog's first project for the PS4 is going to be Uncharted 4.

Winston*
03-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Yeah, the Uncharted games are some of the most fun I've had playing video games, but I was kind of disheartened to see Naughty Dog's first project for the PS4 is going to be Uncharted 4.

It should be Jak and Daxter.

EyesWideOpen
03-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Even though a sequel I would at least be more fine with that because it skipped a generation.

Winston*
03-05-2013, 11:40 PM
One of the problems with keeping these big series going periodically is they can't escalate with every game. Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted 2 were big step ups from the previous games but then their follow ups don't continue the trend, which helps you see through their tricks when you're experiencing them them again.

Winston*
03-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Death looks pretty stupid in Darksider's II but he's voiced by Michael Wincott, which is neat. I like how they've made him more slender and agile than War was in the previous game, changing how the game controls.

I enjoy being in this world more than God of War's. It's less ugly.

megladon8
03-06-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm very much looking forward to more "Dead Space".

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Brad on the last Bombcast said he was only half way through the game and had already killed hundreds of people.

Yeah - which is completely stupid. But I've heard that the quiet exploration parts make up for it. We'll see.

I also recently ordered the TR HD Trilogy pack on the PS3, so at least I can go back and play the good ones if this one doesn't do it for me.

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 12:17 AM

I'd love a new JaD game, so long as it's more like the first one - light hearted, action platforming. No dark Jak!

Winston*
03-06-2013, 01:23 AM
I'd love a new JaD game, so long as it's more like the first one - light hearted, action platforming. No dark Jak!

The GTA stuff was the worst, but I still enjoyed the sequels especially the third.

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 01:26 AM

Well the whole reason why they made Dead Space to begin with was because they were pushing for more original IP and less sequels back in 2007.

We got: Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mirror's Edge and Army Of Two as part of EA's new transformation plan. You can see where we ended up though...heh.

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Oh and....

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/square-enix/eidosmontreal/thief4/cover-reveal6654321/cover610.jpg

EyesWideOpen
03-06-2013, 02:50 AM
I didn't know that final Mass Effect 3 single player DLC was already out. I thought they just showed off a trailer. Downloading now!

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 04:08 AM
I am loving the new Tomb Raider. The presentation is absolutely slick.

It has a really cool level system, and while the areas themselves are small and compact, there is a ton of stuff to explore and discover in each - lots of ways to go and secrets to find. Also, no glowing paths! (that is, unless you press R2, which is a stupid "help I'm dumb, show me the way" button - games, stop with these. But at least it's optional) And, after the first 30 minutes or so, the game stops shoving hints and tips down your throat - something that Far Cry 3 and Ni No Kuni could have done.

The mix of action of exploration is perfect. And, while I've already killed like 12 guys (probably more than I killed during the entire game of TR1), at least the bad guys aren't bullet sponges like they are in Uncharted. The action is quick, and not bloated. So far, the action has really just been the punctuation at the end of great exploration and discovery sequences (although I'm sure it will become more action focused, and worse for it, as time goes).

I'm buying Lara's transformation into a survivalist more than I thought I would. It's by no means perfect, heck, it's probably not even good, but for a video game it's handling the emotional parts quite well - still, though, I'm finding that the way the devs want me to feel and act is often at odds with the way the game is requiring me to play; so yeah, it suffers from some of the same problems I had with Uncharted. We'll have to see who has murdered the most people at the end - Nathan Drake, or Lara Croft?

I'm also to the level with the first of the optional tombs to raid. Really looking forward to these. I hear this is where the game really shines, and harkens back to the good old days of puzzles and atmosphere.

Oh, and my favorite part so far as that the score keeps teasing with motifs and themes from the first game. The first time I heard those first few notes of the menu music from TR1 (my favorite all-time game music), I got chills up my spine. And they keep playing a little more of the familiar tunes as I'm progressing - very cool.

Morris Schæffer
03-06-2013, 05:29 AM
I'm also to the level with the first of the optional tombs to raid. Really looking forward to these. I hear this is where the game really shines, and harkens back to the good old days of puzzles and atmosphere.

i've heard the opposite. That they're just one puzzle, not at all like the tombs found in the assassin's creed games.

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Oh, and my favorite part so far as that the score keeps teasing with motifs and themes from the first game. The first time I heard those first few notes of the menu music from TR1 (my favorite all-time game music), I got chills up my spine.

This is how I feel about Metal Gear Solid 4 that most people don't get.

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Chapter 11 Dead Space 3 on Pure Survivalist. It's cake. Should finish it up tonight and then moving on to Hardcore.

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 12:43 PM
EA denies Dead Space series cancellation

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
I had to force myself to go to bed last night at about 11:30, and wanted to stay up all night to keep playing. That's a pretty good sign that TR is a great game. It plays like a dream. Even the few QTEs, a thing that I hate, are handled well. The reason is that everything is so impeccably balanced - there is a perfect amount of each part, and no one part ever over stays its welcome. It is a marvel of pacing. I've also a ton of places that I'll need to come back to when I get certain items; the levels open up in a Metroidvania-like fashion. I've also found myself gripped by the cut scenes, something that never happens to me in a game. There are some handicam shots that are expertly executed; the dialog feels natural, the actors are good, and the drama rings true. I know the reviews are saying that these parts aren't nearly as good as their Uncharted counterparts, but I completely disagree; I'm finding them far more effective in making Lara an interesting character that I care about.

Spun Lepton
03-06-2013, 02:51 PM
D, your comments are making me seriously consider picking up TR.

Any other PS3 owners have suggestions for some decent $20 games that I could get for my nieces and nephews? Oldest on is 11, so no M-rated games. I think the most mature game they own is Arkham Asylum. Right now I'm looking at Little Big Planet 2, but I'd like some other suggestions.

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 03:01 PM
You should probably take my comments with a grain of salt; they are, after all, coming from a huge fan of the games. However, up until about 2 weeks ago, I wanted nothing to do with the new one. They really went out of their way in all the various previews and interviews to make this look completely unlike a TR game. Maybe part of me is just really happy that it is a good TR game - I honestly can't tell if the game is really that great, or if I simply had unfairly low expectations. I can say that purely based on mechanic things, the game plays very, very well. So that's one thing that already makes it better than a lot of other games.

Kurosawa Fan
03-06-2013, 03:20 PM
D, your comments are making me seriously consider picking up TR.

Any other PS3 owners have suggestions for some decent $20 games that I could get for my nieces and nephews? Oldest on is 11, so no M-rated games. I think the most mature game they own is Arkham Asylum. Right now I'm looking at Little Big Planet 2, but I'd like some other suggestions.

List of games my sons (age 11 and 7) love to play:

Lego anything, particularly Lord of the Rings and Star Wars
Burnout: Paradise
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Dirt Showdown
3D Dot Game Heroes
Driver: San Francisco
NCAA Football '11
FIFA '11
Little Big Planet
Modnation Racers
The Uncharted games (my oldest)
Arkham Asylum & Arkham City

There are more, but those are the titles that jump to mind when I try to envision them playing the PS3.

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
The Lego games are great.

Watashi
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Bayonetta. You know... for the kids.

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 04:01 PM
@Spun Lepton SSX, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, Starhawk, The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 04:25 PM
According to Gabe Newell, prototypes of Valve's Steam Box are expected in three to four months!

Kurosawa Fan
03-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Boy, the fact that I didn't think of SSX says more than I ever could about how flat that game fell at my house.

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Boy, the fact that I didn't think of SSX says more than I ever could about how flat that game fell at my house.

I just bought it this weekend. It's merely OK. It sure doesn't look as good as I would have liked. Some of it looks flat out last gen.

Spun Lepton
03-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I just bought it this weekend. It's merely OK. It sure doesn't look as good as I would have liked. Some of it looks flat out last gen.

Series took a nosedive after Tricky.

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 05:30 PM
No Tricky was the dive.

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Series took a nosedive after Tricky.

SSX3 is my favorite. Not sure where that falls. But boarding from the top of the highest peak to the bottom is one of my favorite things in all of video games.

Idioteque Stalker
03-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Now I understand why people got so upset about Diablo 3. I planned to marathon Sim City but due to server problems have only been able to play a couple hours, and never without some kind of hassle. The global market better be worth it.

Spun Lepton
03-06-2013, 07:04 PM
No Tricky was the dive.

I CUT YOU.

SSX3 is my favorite. Not sure where that falls. But boarding from the top of the highest peak to the bottom is one of my favorite things in all of video games.

I CUT YOU ALSO.

(Actually, SSX3 was good, but I still prefer Tricky.)

megladon8
03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah, "Tricky" was most definitely the series' high point.

I loved how wacky some of the levels got. I really like sports games that go hyper-real. I'm not too into sim sports video games...I'm left feeling "why wouldn't I just go outside and play baseball/hockey/basketball?"

My favorite sports games of all time would include "NBA Jam", "SSX Tricky", and "Tony Hawk 3".

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 08:34 PM
For everyone who thinks Tricky was the best.... did you not play the original? It was the same fucking game with a different soundtrack and 2 new tracks. If that was done in a game today it would be shamed and memed to death.

Dukefrukem
03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
SSX3 was the best and therefor DD wins.

D_Davis
03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah - that's what I always heard, that Tricky was just a remixed version of the first game. Very limited in scope when compared to SSX3.

megladon8
03-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Never played the first, so I'm pretty much fine in thinking "Tricky" rocked.

Watashi
03-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Snowboard Kids > Any SSX

Acapelli
03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
For everyone who thinks Tricky was the best.... did you not play the original? It was the same fucking game with a different soundtrack and 2 new tracks. If that was done in a game today it would be shamed and memed to death.
that sounds more like a personal problem. i don't care if it was the "same game" (it wasn't but whatever), i based my purchases back then on demos, was unimpressed with the ssx demo so i didn't give it a chance. loved the tricky demo (uber moves rule)

it is objectively an improvement over the first one. i don't really care if you felt ripped off because enough didn't change for you

bac0n
03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Tricky had a lot of the same courses as the original, but they were all very extensively overhauled. Also added were new characters with celebrity voice overs (Jim Rose as Psymon = BRILLIANT!) and interactions between them as they went down the hill as well as afterwards, something I wish SSX3 would have kept.

And the two new courses they added were awesome. Alaska to this day remains IMO the best track in the entire franchise.

Acapelli
03-06-2013, 09:21 PM
ssx3 made the same mistake that burnout paradise did. add open world to a game that didn't need it

both games sucked and ruined the franchises for me

number8
03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
I think the only snowboarding game I was ever into was the one on Wii Fit.

bac0n
03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
I liked the open world. Few things as chill as snowboarding down the entire mountain.

Skitch
03-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Shaun Palmer Snowboarding ftw

Dukefrukem
03-07-2013, 01:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l37xM-X1Rkc

Dukefrukem
03-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Beat Dead Space 3 on Survival Mode. On to Hardcore.

megladon8
03-07-2013, 02:06 AM
I've finally really gotten a hold on the combat in "Metal Gear Rising". I've all but mastered the parry system, and am trying to work as many different moves and combos into my combat as possible.

I've started seeing a lot more ranks of "A" and "S" after battles, rather than "B" and "C", so I'm clearly improving.

The story is just so dumb I can't decide if it's amazing or terrible.

Some totally wacky character design, too. One enemy cyborg (named "Monsoon") is able to break himself apart into many pieces and recollect wherever he wants, so that made fighting him a challenge because I couldn't get my sword to connect anywhere. I felt like I was fighting an Agent from The Matrix.

The music is awesome, too, if you're into that sort of thing - super hyper techno/metal, in the vein of Trivium on speed.

EyesWideOpen
03-07-2013, 05:37 AM
Snowboard Kids > Any SSX

Yep. Never could get into any SSX games.

Related: Just picked up Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed for the WiiU today and it's bringing back the Mario Kart 64 nostalgia hard. Played about an hour and a half and having a great time.

Watashi
03-08-2013, 03:10 AM
Is Persona 2 a good jumping point in the series? I noticed that it was added to PSN recently.

Sycophant
03-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Persona 2 is an entirely different game from Persona 3 and 4, which are very similar to each other.

Persona 2 is interesting, but I think 3 and 4 are more interesting over all and a lot more fun. I'd recommend starting with 3.

Dukefrukem
03-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I almost died at the Drill Scene in Dead Space 3 hardcore. :pritch:

D_Davis
03-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Persona 2 is an entirely different game from Persona 3 and 4, which are very similar to each other.

Persona 2 is interesting, but I think 3 and 4 are more interesting over all and a lot more fun. I'd recommend starting with 3.

I agree.

I never played 2, but 1 was one of the first games I purchased for the PS1. Good game, but 3 and 4 are much better.

Dukefrukem
03-08-2013, 06:51 PM
God of War Ascension- Reviews are favorable

Destructoid - 90 - God of War has never looked or played better than this. Kratos has never been as deep or interesting as this. They've set the bar so high that I have no idea how they'll be able to follow this one up. Sony Santa Monica should be proud. Series fans should be proud.

Machinima - 85 - While many find the God of War series to be repetitive in its formula, it continues to deliver a refreshing take that satisfies the core fan base. And though the campaign is shorter and the number of epic boss fights leaves you wanting more, this is the most human we have ever seen Kratos and the story compels you to him unlike ever before.

GameTrailers - 83 - Combines bold action with a certain level of restraint, taking a few chances but still hewing close to the familiar. The unexpected multiplayer arenas will click with some, while others may not even touch it, and only the server logs, written on ancient papyrus scrolls, will show if it has staying power.

GameSpot - 80 - The multiplayer's a bust, but God of War: Ascension's campaign is a gloriously bloody adventure filled with exhilarating combat.

(Im not sure how they can rate the multiplayer yet when it's not online but... whatever.)

Sven
03-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Got new Tomb Raider for free today. So far, so good, but what, in God's name, is the logic behind allowing the Y axis to invert, but not the X? Re. Tarded.

number8
03-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Why the heck would anyone want to invert the X axis?

Sven
03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Why the heck would anyone want to invert the X axis?

Why would anyone invert one but not the other? It's only a semi-conversion to cranial pivot simulation.

Dukefrukem
03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Ahhhhh fuck. Died on hardcore in Chapter 14.

Ezee E
03-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Has there ever been a game with inverted X-Axis?

Sven
03-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Has there ever been a game with inverted X-Axis?

Many. Options > Invert X Axis. I don't imagine it's too difficult to program. Less difficult than me learning how to play a game where the camera does not emulate the motion of my head.

number8
03-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Why would anyone invert one but not the other? It's only a semi-conversion to cranial pivot simulation.

I have never heard of anyone inverting the X axis. AFAIK, most people invert only the Y axis, if at all. It's not about cranial simulation, it's habit carried over from old flight simulation games like Starfox and Ace Combat where the Y axis was inverted by default. You pull the joystick to go up.

Sven
03-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I have never heard of anyone inverting the X axis. AFAIK, most people invert only the Y axis, if at all. It's not about cranial simulation, it's habit carried over from old flight simulation games like Starfox and Ace Combat where the Y axis was inverted by default. You pull the joystick to go up.

Still lame that it's not an option because cranial motion is what both inversions affect. If you're holding a camera and want it to move right, the back of your head, which you are steering, pulls left. A natural extension, very easy to control.

This is an old song, so I'll shaddap. But last thing: it's more ridiculous that X-inversion is not an option than it is to prefer it. And googling, I'm stunned by the number of people that lambast the preference.

Ezee E
03-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Many. Options > Invert X Axis. I don't imagine it's too difficult to program. Less difficult than me learning how to play a game where the camera does not emulate the motion of my head.

I don't know. Name one. Majority of shooter and plane games all have the Invert Y Axis option.

Sven
03-08-2013, 10:51 PM
I don't know. Name one. Majority of shooter and plane games all have the Invert Y Axis option.

Ratchet and Clank series.

Thirdmango
03-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Got Arkham Asylum for 10 bucks the other day, played through it in about 4 days, a lot shorter then I would have thought. Still fun little game. I would have been super pissed if I bought it for 60 four years ago.

Sven
03-08-2013, 11:00 PM
A quick googling shows that many games have the feature. Splinter Cell, Persona, Gears of War, Goldeneye, etc.

EyesWideOpen
03-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Got Arkham Asylum for 10 bucks the other day, played through it in about 4 days, a lot shorter then I would have thought. Still fun little game. I would have been super pissed if I bought it for 60 four years ago.

Not really sure what you mean. It's like a 12 to 15 hour game that's double the length of probably 90% of retail releases.

Ezee E
03-08-2013, 11:31 PM
A quick googling shows that many games have the feature. Splinter Cell, Persona, Gears of War, Goldeneye, etc.

Well I'll be darned.

Skitch
03-08-2013, 11:32 PM
For third person shooters I've seen the x axis inverted. It depends on how you instinctually pivot...left is left like a head turn, or right is left as though the avatar is the pivot (I think of this as a virtual camera pivot). I saw much more relevance to this option in N64/PS1 days, as the third person games were a little all over the place, but I think in-game camera fluidity has improved to where left is left pivot is most naturally selected.

Thirdmango
03-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Not really sure what you mean. It's like a 12 to 15 hour game that's double the length of probably 90% of retail releases.

Not any of the retail releases I've been getting then. Most games I buy for 50-60 are at least 40+, but I guess I only go for super long games. 12-15 feels like the kind of thing you get off of xbox arcade for 10 dollars right when it comes out.

Thirdmango
03-08-2013, 11:52 PM
I feel like the only reason people really liked Arkham Asylum was because it was Batman. It was a fairly fun game and the puzzles were the reason I stuck around, but if I can get 100% in 15 hours without looking anything up then I don't think of it as a successful game.

EyesWideOpen
03-08-2013, 11:57 PM
I feel like the only reason people really liked Arkham Asylum was because it was Batman. It was a fairly fun game and the puzzles were the reason I stuck around, but if I can get 100% in 15 hours without looking anything up then I don't think of it as a successful game.

So you base video game success on how long the game is?

Winston*
03-09-2013, 12:17 AM
So you base video game success on how long the game is?

Thirdmango's favourite film is Andy Warhol's Empire.

megladon8
03-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Yeah, that's a weird reason to see a game as unsuccessful. If you had fun with it for all 15 hours then it's succesful.

Scar
03-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Inverting X just sounds wrong.

Skitch
03-09-2013, 01:17 AM
Inverting X just sounds wrong.
Running towards the camera is wrong too, but they do it a fair amount.

Thirdmango
03-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Yeah, that's a weird reason to see a game as unsuccessful. If you had fun with it for all 15 hours then it's succesful.

Sorry, I meant to add in the concept of the price. If I paid 10 dollars for it and it gave me 15 hours of fun then yes it's successful. I'm entirely confused that people loved this game when it came out and they paid 60 dollars for it. Fallout 3 I paid 40 dollars for and I've sunk over 200 hours into because there's so much to do and tons of replay ability. If I can finish everything in 15 hours there's not really a point in replaying it. Costume Quest was fun, it took me 7-8 hours and I paid 10 dollar for it, I'll never replay it because there was nothing extra to it, but it came out on the xbox live arcade and was never intended to be a big game. This is a "big" game and it was so small. It's not successful in my terms of success if you can't get your monies worth.

If you guys are buying games at 60 dollars a pop, playing them for 10 hours, getting mild entertainment out of them, and then never playing it again, and think that's okay, then I think you're mildly insane.

Thirdmango
03-09-2013, 04:45 AM
In talking with friends about this I can understand buying Call of Duty or Halo for 60 dollars even if the one player is only 10 hours because it has hours and hours of multiplayer. Arkham Asylum doesn't have multiplayer. It has some challenge modes but I've beaten all of those already. I could try and spend time to be the fastest but I don't see the point. The games I buy for 60 dollars are games such as Fallouts, Ender Scrolls, and Assassins Creeds, games which to do everything you really need 80+ hours. I still haven't done everything in Just Cause 2 and it's still super fun and I only paid 20 dollars for that one.

Morris Schæffer
03-09-2013, 06:51 AM
So the new Sim City is, according to ign, "unplayably broken"!?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/simcity-burning-a-warning-to-microsoft-sony-and-all-publishers-on-the-dangers-of-always-online-drm

Skitch
03-09-2013, 11:11 AM
So the new Sim City is, according to ign, "unplayably broken"!?

Five star review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3BQ88T77DIPNS/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3BQ88T77 DIPNS

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps me zone out, March 7, 2013
By
Sim Lover
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SimCity - Limited Edition (DVD-ROM)
I was looking for something new for my computer, when I stumbled upon this game on Amazon and decided, what the heck, lets give it a shot!

I have to say it far exceeds my expectations.

Thankfully, the game never actually loads. I was looking for a program where I could zone out, and stare at my computer screen in a meditative state for hours on end with no interuptions.

There's no actual gameplay, sound effects, or graphics to distract you from your meditation.

You may be forced to run the same "Tutorial" over and over again, but don't worry about that minor problem, because as soon as you exit the tutorial you'll be returned to a program that blissfully crashes or just, never logs onto any server succesfully, once again giving you peace and quiet.

Incredible job EA, will there be a sequel?

:lol:

Morris Schæffer
03-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Lol!

Idioteque Stalker
03-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Sim City continues to frustrate. At least I can play the game consistently.

In concept it seems so great. For instance, I created two extremely prosperous cities in a region: one specialized in education and electronics, the other in industry, services and coal. They complemented each other well. I began creating a solar farm great work (one of the end-game goals), which requires insane amounts of resources. I optimized my supply chain to produce said resources, and then watched my trucks deliver them to the solar farm. It was all really fun.

But then nothing happened. The resources just disappeared without allocating to the great work. :frustrated:

So apparently I get a free game because Sim City has been such a disaster. Really though, I just want it to work.

Skitch
03-09-2013, 10:36 PM
I would love to play a new Sim City, but I'm not going anywhere near that.

Thirdmango
03-10-2013, 12:32 AM
I love the fact that things like these bundles or different companies keep your records on file for having bought games. I bought World of Goo back in 08 and my computer was stolen in 09. I was looking through old emails last night and found the link to my game and was able to download it again for free. Huzzah.

Sven
03-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Manned up and learned dumb X axis. Actually kinda comfortable with it now. Extremely addictive game. Stuck on fire arrow assault because I suck at games, but I'm still lovin' it.

Acapelli
03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
steambox is gonna be $1000

who is this supposed to be for?

megladon8
03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Winston* said it perfectly about the "MGS" games, and it applies to "Rising" just as much.

There are too many instances off horribly long, overwrought cinematics full of "why can't I be controlling this?" moments.

Why is 90% of the final boss fight a cinematic?

Dukefrukem
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
That's not a steambox. That's a company that is jumping on the steambox train marketing the "big picture display".

It's just using the same tech that could be found in a steambox.

D_Davis
03-11-2013, 05:32 PM
And to confuse matters even more, there will be multiple Steamboxes released over the next few years. So it is A Steambox, it's just not THE Steambox, but there may not even be a THE Steambox.

Stupid.

D_Davis
03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Tomb Raider continues to impress. I'm sure at least 1/4 of my play-time is being spent just looking at things. The game is absolutely beautifully, with the best scenery and levels I've ever seen; there are many, many moments where I just look around, and take everything in.

There is, however, too much action, and too much killing. I'm pretty sure I've already killed more guys than I did in every single other Tomb Raider combined, times 50. It's ridiculous. Especially considering the juxtaposition of Lara's character in the story and exploration segments. CD does an amazing job of making her feel like a real person in these moments, and for the first time in my gaming life I'm actually somewhat moved by some of the drama; it's exemplary stuff.

Unfortunately, none of this amounts to anything because the Lara Croft I'm playing is a murdering SOB, who is constantly killing and maiming foes in gruesome and terrible ways. What's more, there is so much action that it is starting to become boring. In the best of the old TR games, when I would hear an action music-cue, my heart would beat faster, I'd tense up, and proceed with caution - Core new how to build suspense and dread. Each new action sequence was something to look forward to, even if I was only fighting 3 wolves and a couple of bats. There is no suspense or tension here, because the action is over-used. When the music cues kick in, all you have to do is run in guns blazing, mowing down dozens and dozens of dudes.

It's ridiculous and very stupid, and totally schizophrenic.

This, coupled with the few puzzles found in the optional tomb side missions and the beautiful levels to explore (the best parts of the game) make for a frustrating experience; it's too easy to see what the game could have been, and to become ultimately disappointed with what they made it into.

megladon8
03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
D, your post starts by saying one thing and seems to end with you saying something completely different :lol:

Unrelated: I'm at a point where I may give up on "Metal Gear Rising" at the final boss.

There are few things in games that annoy me as much as a sudden difficulty spike.

Every level and boss up to this point has been challenging but easily beatable once I understood the attack patterns and mastered parrying their specific attacks.

Suddenly this final boss seems impossible. And to make matters worse, I am stuck at the final boss with no repair gel, so I only have one life bar. I cannot even get 1/4 of his health down.

His attacks are random, and several of them are unblockable.

This is terrible game design. It has nothing to do with whether or not the player is good at the game.

D_Davis
03-11-2013, 05:54 PM
D, your post starts by saying one thing and seems to end with you saying something completely different :lol:

Everything about it is impressive and well made. But it's frustrating because of the Uncharted syndrome.

The game itself is flawless (controls, plays, sounds and looks perfect), it's just not the game I would go to when I'm in the mood for a Tomb Raider experience.

Acapelli
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
And to confuse matters even more, there will be multiple Steamboxes released over the next few years. So it is A Steambox, it's just not THE Steambox, but there may not even be a THE Steambox.

Stupid.
ah ok

and yeah it still sounds real dumb

Skitch
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
There are few things in games that annoy me as much as a sudden difficulty spike.

My absolute biggest pet peeve.

Morris Schæffer
03-11-2013, 06:20 PM
I've learned, on numerous occasions, that whenever I thought there was a huge difficulty spike, it basically came down to me losing my cool and freaking out. In reality, the game was simply throwing me a different kind of challenge that possibly required something new and outside-of-the-box to master. Not saying that's the case here, but it could be. Taking some time off and returning with a fresh perspective sometimes did the trick.

megladon8
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
I've learned, on numerous occasions, that whenever I thought there was a huge difficulty spike, it basically came down to me losing my cool and freaking out. In reality, the game was simply throwing me a different kind of challenge that possibly required something new and outside-of-the-box to master. Not saying that's the case here, but it could be. Taking some time off and returning with a fresh perspective sometimes did the trick.

I thought this too because I spent an hour and a half trying to beat the boss last night, and couldn't. Came back to it today and I still can't.

It's very frustrating because when I look up tips on the 'net, there seem to be two camps of people with this issue:

Camp 1: Those who find the boss so easy that they can beat him in under a minute without even taking any damage.

Camp 2: Those who cannot even get through his first stage.

I'm in Camp 2.

I'm using all the techniques demonstrated in their videos, have the appropriate moves unlocked and am using them. And yet when I watch their videos and then play it myself, everything unfolds differently.

He's using different attacks on me than he is in their videos, and his attacks can be easily dodged or parried in the videos, yet while I'm playing I am unable to block or dodge anything - he just breaks right through.

Obviously there is something I am doing wrong, but I cannot figure it out, and as I said before this sudden enormous spike in difficulty is driving me up the wall.

It's not like I don't know how to play the game. I've been consistently getting grades of "A" or "S" in all my fights prior to this.

Morris Schæffer
03-11-2013, 06:36 PM
sucks dude! Hope you make it assuming you persevere.

number8
03-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Game developer's 3 year old daughter asks why she can't play Donkey Kong as the princess and save Mario instead. Awesome dad makes it happen by switching the sprites on the ROM, posting progress updates online along the way. Internet calls the daughter a feminist and says horrible things about her and her dad. Because that is always the trajectory of these stories.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/donkey-kong-pauline-hack/?cid=6310524

megladon8
03-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Feminism starts in the womb.

Dukefrukem
03-11-2013, 07:29 PM
It's also youtube. The worst comment section on the internet with the eception of 4chan and reddit.

number8
03-11-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm pretty sure youtube comments are worse than 4chan and reddit combined.

D_Davis
03-11-2013, 07:37 PM

It's true - probably because Youtube has a bigger subset of the entire human population.

megladon8
03-11-2013, 09:33 PM
The annonimity of the internet is an astoundingly terrible thing.

Hey D_Davis, you're a big stupid head.

Dukefrukem
03-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Yeh you're prob right.

D_Davis
03-11-2013, 10:22 PM
The annonimity of the internet is an astoundingly terrible thing.

Hey D_Davis, you're a big stupid head.

I know where you live.

Sven
03-12-2013, 12:33 AM
and for the first time in my gaming life I'm actually somewhat moved by some of the drama; it's exemplary stuff.

:lol: You're insane.

I give this one a pass re: mass murder because at least the game is not attempting "charming wisecracker" in its hero. That was the real misstep with Uncharted.

Dukefrukem
03-12-2013, 12:36 AM

I give this one a pass re: mass murder because at least the game is not attempting "charming wisecracker" in its hero. That was the real misstep with Uncharted.

No you have a 21 year old model doing it this time around. :rolleyes:

D_Davis
03-12-2013, 12:37 AM

Relative to other video games. ;)
I'm not moved to tears or any nonsense, but I feel for Lara in the situation she's in. It's good genre drama, and it's executed with skill.

This is true, and is part of what I meant before. They do a good job with Lara as a character, for the most part - at least in the cut scenes and exploration moments.

Also, her facial expressions are excellent.

Have you gotten to the shantytown yet?

Watashi
03-12-2013, 12:43 AM
You've never been moved by a game before, Sven?

Sven
03-12-2013, 05:25 AM
Relative to other video games. ;)
I'm not moved to tears or any nonsense, but I feel for Lara in the situation she's in. It's good genre drama, and it's executed with skill.

I won't deny you what you find effective, but I've been amused that every single line of dialogue is a total cliche, and that the soundtrack is constantly fluttering with Lara's silly throat noises.

Have you gotten to the shantytown yet?

Yeah. It's definitely a good-looking game. I like the combat system a lot. I've never played a game where I had to simultaneously move, cycle through guns, aim, and fire that has felt this natural.

megladon8
03-12-2013, 05:29 AM
I finally beat it.

And yeah, there is a control that is intrinsic to beating this boss which is never explained or demonstrated previously in the game, nor in the VR missions.

What a frustrating game. So much good about it, bogged down by so much crap.

Also, the visual style and the story/dialogue are pretty much the epitome of everything I dislike within Japanese gaming and anime.

Sven
03-12-2013, 05:30 AM
You've never been moved by a game before, Sven?

... I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I'm not opposed to the idea. I was just amused at the idea that this game, which is essentially a thinly strung out series of crashes and shootings tied together by a plot and dialogue recycled from every movie ever made, is the game that crested Davis's emotional membrane.

megladon8
03-12-2013, 05:35 AM
"Spec Ops: The Line" is probably the most recent example of a game that affected me emotionally.

I also felt a little tug at the heartstrings with the "Minerva's Den" DLC for "BioShock 2".

I've never been moved to tears by a game, though.

Watashi
03-12-2013, 05:43 AM
There's a moment in Ni No Kuni that got me. Not to tears or anything, but it moved me. I think it had to with the music mostly. Joe Hisaishi can do that.

Watashi
03-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Oh yeah, this moment in Mass Effect 3. I mean... fuck.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120505050515/masseffect/images/c/c9/MordinDeathSmile-Tuchanka.png

Morris Schæffer
03-12-2013, 06:41 AM
I've never been truly moved by a game either. Maybe Braid came closest. Mayble I'll cry when I see next-gen games in full HD, 60 fps and FSAA.

Dukefrukem
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
MGS4 was very emotional. And of course, the Walking Dead.

Dukefrukem
03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Here ya go:

Valve disassociates itself from xi3

Valve declared it's not working on any current projects with Piston creator Xi3. Speaking to Eurogamer, Valve's Doug Lombardi said his company "began some exploratory work with Xi3 last year, but currently has no involvement in any product of theirs."

Alongside the Piston's reveal earlier this year, the device designed specifically with Steam support in mind, Xi3 announced Valve had invested in the PC company, which may in part be what Lombardi referred to in his statement. However, Valve later made it clear Xi3's Piston is not its own much-anticipated Steam Box, of which boss Gabe Newell said last week Valve aims to have prototypes for customer evaluation in three to four months.

As for Xi3's $999 Piston, the shiny miniature box is now available for pre-order, with the device expected to ship "in time for" the holiday season this year.

And believe it or not.. this movie is smart to be first to market. There are plenty of people who would pay for $1000 PC with stream over a $500 PS4 or 720.

Remember what we have so far is; $550 (rumored premium PS4 price) + $60 for an extra controller + $60 per game = $670 launch cost minimum.

If you get your $1000 PC, you already have your games and accessories purchased. $330/60 is only 6 more games before the cost is greater than the xi3.

megladon8
03-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Did anyone else take advantage of XBox LiVE's super mega sale last week?

I got...

"El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron"
"Mortal Kombat vs. DCU"
"Resident Evil 5"
"Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 HD"
"Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker HD"

All for $30.

I started playing "Mortal Kombat vs. DCU" and its great fun. Surprisingly deep fighting system, great character designs, and the new take on Test Your Might is pretty nifty.

I like that the MK franchise has really hiked up its boots and made it more about the combat and less about the fatalities. I now have a reason to play and master characters, rather than just playing a round against a lifeless bot so I can see a fatality.

Winston*
03-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I downloaded the latest Mortal Kombat when it was free on PSN, played it for 5 minutes and deleted it.

megladon8
03-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I downloaded the latest Mortal Kombat when it was free on PSN, played it for 5 minutes and deleted it.

Cool!

Winston*
03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Cool!

You're cool.

number8
03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
I didn't bother to download it at all. Which I suspect makes me coolest.

D_Davis
03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
You're cool.

Thanks, man.

number8
03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks, man.

You're welcome. :)

Sven
03-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Implosion imminent.

I beat Tomb Raider at 80%. Don't think I'm gonna bother getting all the stuff. It was good. Now I am done.

D_Davis
03-13-2013, 01:15 AM
Nice! I'm trying to collect all the stuff. That's my favorite part of the game, because it involved the most platforming and exploration.

megladon8
03-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Beat the DCU half of the story in "MK vs. DCU". This game is really great. The fighting systrm is stellar.

I'm surprised how excited I am for the new "Gears" game this coming Tuesday. I'm excited to see all the changes to the formula. The tower defense levels sound like they could be great.

Dukefrukem
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
All that work put into Dead Space to find a glitched trophy. Fuck you EA.

D_Davis
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Did everyone here like God of War III?

Dukefrukem
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Loved it. The level design is perfect for this kind of action game. Esp when Kratos is running up the Titan and when he meets Daedalus and solves teh Labyrinth.

I played through the first Chapter of GoW: Ascension and it looks like they've met and possibly exceeded the same kind of creative level design.

number8
03-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Out of the three, it's the one I replayed the most. Fun stress-free button-masher, nothing more.

Dukefrukem
03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Fucking finally. This is going to be the game of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4JDb_XBEu4

megladon8
03-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Is "Ascension" considered the next full entry in the series, or is it almost an expansion turned into a full release (like "ODST" and "Reach" were in the "Halo" series)?

Scar
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM

Very fun. Plenty of gratuitous violence.

D_Davis
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Is "Ascension" considered the next full entry in the series, or is it almost an expansion turned into a full release (like "ODST" and "Reach" were in the "Halo" series)?

From the way it's been advertised, and from the way people are talking about it, it's a multiplayer game with tacked-on single player campaign.

Dukefrukem
03-14-2013, 05:06 PM
C'mon DD no one is saying that. I posted four reviews a couple of pages back. Stop it now.

EyesWideOpen
03-14-2013, 05:58 PM
C'mon DD no one is saying that. I posted four reviews a couple of pages back. Stop it now.

Every mention I've heard of the game matches up with D Davis.

Dukefrukem
03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
That it's a multiplayer game with a tacked on single player?? Not the reverse?

D_Davis
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
All I've seen and heard, including the demo, has been about the multiplayer.

That's not a bad thing. It just seems to be the focus of this particular GOW game.

I've read that the multiplayer is a lot like Power Stone - so that's super cool.

EyesWideOpen
03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Ignore my previous comment. I misread and thought you guys were talking about the new gears of war not the new god of war.