PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Thirdmango
12-30-2011, 06:31 PM
here's my thoughts on each pinball table, it's a bit long but it might help out if you're struggling on each one.

EyesWideOpen
12-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Saints Row 3 is $34.99 on amazon right now. After all the game of the year buzz and those Tim and Eric directed ads I went ahead and ordered it.

megladon8
12-31-2011, 02:09 AM
here's my thoughts on each pinball table, it's a bit long but it might help out if you're struggling on each one.

I'm waiting :lol:

megladon8
12-31-2011, 02:10 AM
Saints Row 3 is $34.99 on amazon right now. After all the game of the year buzz and those Tim and Eric directed ads I went ahead and ordered it.

I wish Amazon.ca didn't suck so much.

Freaking $62.

Thirdmango
12-31-2011, 02:54 AM

oops

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/35365

Spinal
12-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Ugh. The announcing in Madden 12 is just unbearable. I never get sick of the commentary in NCAA 12. It flows well with the game and there's lots of variety. I've only played one and a half Madden games and I've heard Collinsworth make the same comment 4-5 times.

Spinal
12-31-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't know who the other guy is but he's shouting everything and it's really annoying.

Spinal
12-31-2011, 09:20 AM
I've turned the commentary off and I'm about ready to do the same to the menu music. Blech.

Rowland
12-31-2011, 10:51 AM
The first Super Mario Galaxy was one of my Christmas gifts, and so far it's a shitload of fun, clearly superior to Super Mario Sunshine.

...and that is all.

Skitch
12-31-2011, 12:08 PM
The first Super Mario Galaxy was one of my Christmas gifts, and so far it's a shitload of fun, clearly superior to Super Mario Sunshine.

...and that is all.

SMG is on my (stepdaughters) Christmas stack. I can't wait to (let her) play it!

Morris Schæffer
12-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Lol. I'm at the Lost island now in Just Cause 2. Approaching it by plane is impossible as it blows up spontaneously. There's a hatch somewhere too.:) :):D

EyesWideOpen
01-01-2012, 01:51 AM
I just ordered Skylanders. :eek:

megladon8
01-01-2012, 04:31 AM
I just ordered Skylanders. :eek:

You know, this looks like a helluva lot of fun. But I'm terrified of it because it looks like an addictive money pit.

I just know that it'd become one of my "gotta have ALL of them!" obsessions.

EyesWideOpen
01-01-2012, 05:25 PM
You know, this looks like a helluva lot of fun. But I'm terrified of it because it looks like an addictive money pit.

I just know that it'd become one of my "gotta have ALL of them!" obsessions.

Toysrus had the game on sale for $54 down from $70. But the figures are sold out pretty much everywhere. I went to three stores and all were sold out except for Target which had two of the figure 3 packs in stock which the guy told me they had just pulled out of the warehouse this morning which had been on hold for someone. So I bought those luckily one of the packs contained Drobot (Giant Bomb's Skylander of the year). So I'm about $100 in at this point.

Dukefrukem
01-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Fuck i just spent a lot of money on steam.

D_Davis
01-03-2012, 12:16 AM
I'll be damned if Castlevania Lords of Shadow isn't the best looking game I've played on the 360. Holy crap does it look good.

But why in god's name does it have to flash buttons and instructions on the screen at every single opportunity? It leaves absolutely nothing for the player to discover - every that you have to do is told to you on the screen, along with what buttons to press and when. The entire game is practically a QTE.

This trend in modern gaming has got to stop. It makes playing the game a real bummer.

Games - stop telling me what to do. Let me figure it out. Or, if I can't figure it out, let me decide when I want a clue.

D_Davis
01-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Kickass action game. Would love a sequel. Why?

Just picked it up. Pretty cool so far.

And it goes without saying that 2011's game of the year is Dark Souls, which also happens to be the best game I've ever played, which pretty much makes 2011 the best year of gaming ever.

Morris Schæffer
01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Which makes you the best person to ever walk the face of the Earth. :)

Dukefrukem
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Bayonetta might be one of the hardest games I've ever played. The boss battles are exhausting.

Morris Schæffer
01-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Bayonetta might be one of the hardest games I've ever played. The boss battles are exhausting.

That's what I remember, but I recall having more difficulty sometimes with the midlevel, and smaller, bosses than the really massive ones.

I was definitely reminded of God of War 1 and 2 sometimes.

D_Davis
01-03-2012, 02:28 PM

What I found hard about the game is that the action is constantly getting interrupted for a cut scene. It seemed like every time I was getting into a rhythm, a cut scene would play and totally knock me out of the zone.

Dukefrukem
01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
What I found hard about the game is that the action is constantly getting interrupted for a cut scene. It seemed like every time I was getting into a rhythm, a cut scene would play and totally knock me out of the zone.

I agree with this. It also didn't help that the cut scenes were close to meaningless and they arguably were more annoying than the MGS4 cut scenes.

Still, the most ludicrous and outragious (in a good way) plotline and gameplay I think I’ve experienced in a video game.

Dukefrukem
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
That's what I remember, but I recall having more difficulty sometimes with the midlevel, and smaller, bosses than the really massive ones.

I was definitely reminded of God of War 1 and 2 sometimes.

No way. GoW games are easy on the hardest difficulty. Getting a gold metal in Bayonetta on NORMAL is harder than playing GoW on the hardest difficulty.

D_Davis
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm getting a huge Bayonetta vibe from Vanquish, but I don't think Vanquish has as many cut scenes, or at least they don't play as often. Pretty fun game, but it might be just a tad too fast for my reflexes these days. :)

KK2.0
01-03-2012, 04:30 PM
LOL i definitely suck at playing bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden or DMC, those games are focused on stylish combat and i'm just not capable to do crazy combos, my skills on fighting games are pathetic. That said, i enjoy the God of War games over those because the focus is on the spectacle and levels are more varied.

My game of the year 2011 is easy: Dark Souls. Just like Demon's Souls was my 2009 goty, these From Software games embody the best of old-school gaming with innovative online aspects that may not suit everyone's tastes, but are perfect for mine.

I loved Uncharted 3 and Portal 2, Naughty Dog crew confessed that they had trouble to hit the deadline, but the game still showcases a level of polish and craft that is rare in the business. Portal 2 begins just like the first game but soon starts to surprise you, i was amazed at how Valve's Half Life universe still clicks with me, I even dusted off my old HL2 copy and started to play it again. My body soooooo ready for HL3 :(

Haven't finished yet but still deserves mention: Skyrim. I abandoned Oblivion around the 20 hour mark, but i'm past beyond 50 hours of Skyrim and wanting more, game has many flaws but the positives surpass those. However, i'm not buying bethesda console ports ever again.

Most anticipated for 2012 (hope some of them make it before 2013): Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Journey, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Darksiders 2, GTAV, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3 and The last Guardian (believe).

Dukefrukem
01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Every time I read the words "Half-Life 3" a feeling of sadness washes over me.

Morris Schæffer
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
No way. GoW games are easy on the hardest difficulty. Getting a gold metal in Bayonetta on NORMAL is harder than playing GoW on the hardest difficulty.

True, I rarely got a gold medal in Bayonetta, but completing is more important to me. I recall some GoW batles as very exhausting especially with all the button pounding, QTE events.

One of the levels, I believe the chase on motorcycle, has the soundtrack from Outrun. Very cool.

Morris Schæffer
01-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Every time I read the words "Half-Life 3" a feeling of sadness washes over me.

http://www.sweetslyrics.com/images/img_gal/9699_Mos%20Def.jpg

EyesWideOpen
01-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm getting a huge Bayonetta vibe from Vanquish, but I don't think Vanquish has as many cut scenes, or at least they don't play as often. Pretty fun game, but it might be just a tad too fast for my reflexes these days. :)

I enjoyed vanquish much more then bayonetta.

Dead & Messed Up
01-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Bought Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess with a $20 Best Buy gift card.

I don't exactly regret buying this. There've been some fun puzzles, and the NPC's in the game have a lot of personality (and great comic timing - Shiggy should make a movie), but I'm getting really, really annoyed by how lengthy the game is, and how directive the game is, and how redundant so much of the menus and messages are. I mean, this kinda feels like a game designed for idiots. Even after you learn how to fight on horseback, for example, there's a jousting match with button prompts for how to evade and strike - things you should know. And whenever you find rupees in a box, the game tells you exactly what kind of rupee, and how much it's worth, and if you can't hold it in your purse, the game explains (every damned time) that it's going to hold onto the rupee until you need it.

Maybe the problem is that I've been reading a lot of action-button-dot-net, and the guys there bring up some good points about game design in general.

I think the biggest thing is that I've been led from A to B to C to D to E to F for the past ten hours of game-time, and then a little kid said that he hopes to someday be a hero like me. But then I realized that my character isn't doing anything remotely heroic. I'm just doing what everyone tells me to do in the game. If choice were more of an option, if the game offered something beyond what essentially is a glorified laundry list, I'm sure I'd love the game.

A game like A Link to the Past can occasionally infuriate me with obtuse puzzles and little help, but I'd take that over this game any day of the week. That game didn't drag me by the hair from one trigger event to the next. I could explore and examine. I wasn't constantly harassed by a piggybacking AI (the loathsome Midna) telling me, "Hey, where are you going, we have to go that way!"

It's stunning to play this so shortly after playing the original Zelda. Was this where Miyamoto wanted the series to go? No sudden discoveries? No detours? No exploration for the pleasure of investigating nooks and crannies? These games have gotten too cinematic, too facile, too narrow.

God, maybe I do regret buying this.

Lucky
01-03-2012, 11:09 PM
DaMU, you're probably my favorite reviewer on this forum. I can read a dozen reviews on the same subject, but you always manage to bring in fresh points and perspectives. And you say it in a way that is more eloquent than I could ever hope to express. And it's rare when I don't agree with you.

Just felt like saying that, cheers.

Sycophant
01-04-2012, 10:50 PM
I've only spent about 3 hours with Skyward Sword (and do intend to play more--it's got some worthwhile qualities), but I can tell you that Ueda Fumito and the Souls team at From make games far more befitting the NES Zelda legacy than Nintendo does.

megladon8
01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I've only spent about 3 hours with Skyward Sword (and do intend to play more--it's got some worthwhile qualities), but I can tell you that Ueda Fumito and the Souls team at From make games far more befitting the NES Zelda legacy than Nintendo does.

I've read comments like this a lot with regards to "Dark Souls" - not so much comparing it to "Zelda" in particular, but with old-school gaming sensibilities.

Though I haven't played nearly enough of it (I admit I kind of abandoned it for "Skyrim" - but I will get back to it when I'm done with that, I promise :)) I think I agree. I can't think of another "modern" game that requires the player to invest in the game as much as "Dark Souls". Even though I haven't played it in about 6 weeks, I can still remember the type and placement of every single enemy in the game up to where I'm at. And I remember because I have to in order to progress.

The combination of memorization, technique and reflex required to succeed is something I haven't seen in a while.

D_Davis
01-04-2012, 11:11 PM
I didn't play Dark Souls for about 2 weeks, and I tried to play it last night and I totally sucked at it. I don't think I can get back into it because it really is like training - you have to work at to be good at it.

Morris Schæffer
01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
The beautiful pc game Trine 2 is coming to ps3. How beautiful? This beautiful:

http://media.gamer.nl/screenshots_thumbs/1484/148444-665.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_trine_2-17741-2080_0004.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_trine_2-16781-2080_0004.jpg

Dukefrukem
01-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Yes that is beautiful. I just bought it on steam.

Yxklyx
01-05-2012, 05:38 PM
XCOM remake in the works:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-05-firaxis-xcom-enemy-unknown-announced

number8
01-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Came across this cute video game store story.

http://sweetupndown.tumblr.com/post/15242399360/dear-customer-who-stuck-up-for-his-little-brother

In before the obligatory "should've bought Dead Island instead cause Mirror's Edge sucked" comment.

Dukefrukem
01-06-2012, 06:49 PM
HUGE RUMOR TODAY!

The next gaming consoles from Microsoft and Sony will be revealed at E3 2012, according to a new report from MCV.

The website says its unnamed sources claim that both consoles will be shown in some shape or form. "Microsoft has long been rumored to detail its next-gen plans at E3 2012, and MCV's third-party publishing sources claim the firm had signaled to partners this will happen," the reports says.

"The 360 is one of the longest-serving games consoles in history. But the real surprise is an early move from Sony. Execs at the PlayStation firm have made it clear to third-parties that they will not be left behind this time."

Prices and launch details are not expected to be revealed. Rival Nintendo previously stated it will re-unveil the Wii U at E3 as well.

Id also like to point out that this would make sense for a 2013 launch since Sony showed off the PS3 at E32005 and launched it a little over a year later in the holiday schedule.

A 2013 launch means a couple of things. 1. Unreal 4 engine is ready for game development starting... like.. yesterday. And 2. Although we are only 6 years into the PS3 life cycle (7 for xbox), that does not mean development on PS3 games will cease to their 10 year plan.

EyesWideOpen
01-07-2012, 04:47 PM
My Skylanders obsession is growing. I've got 16 of them now. I've been stopping at pretty much every store that sells them while I'm out driving at work. Some of them are selling for $150+ online which is pretty stupid considering they've already said they will be restocking them in the next couple weeks and the two store exclusive ones (the ones that are the rarest) are going to all stores when they restock.

EyesWideOpen
01-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I also have been playing the shit out of Rayman Origins. Easily in my top five games of the year. I finished the main game, got all the teeth (fuck those last two treasure chest chases), and am working my way through getting all the medallions. I'm taking a break from it for the next couple weeks to finally open up Saints Row 3.

megladon8
01-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I also have been playing the shit out of Rayman Origins. Easily in my top five games of the year. I finished the main game, got all the teeth (fuck those last two treasure chest chases), and am working my way through getting all the medallions. I'm taking a break from it for the next couple weeks to finally open up Saints Row 3.

I bought "Rayman Origins" for Jen last week. Should be here in a couple days :) She adores sidescrollers. I can't wait to play it, too.

Say, while on the topic of Jen gaming...I'm really trying to get her into 3D games because there are so many she really wants to play.

She's having a heck of a time getting used to the controls, though. She still has a very hard time working the combination of aiming and moving with two different sticks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for games that may help "ease" her into this control scheme?

I was thinking of maybe digging out the N64 and getting her playing stuff like "Goldeneye" and "Super Mario 64" for a simplified 3D experience, before moving into the more complex stuff.

To give you an idea of the trouble she's having - she tried to play "BioShock", and couldn't navigate her way out of the fiery water at the beginning. I'm pretty sure she would have found Atlantis before she found the stairway out of the water.

EyesWideOpen
01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Super Mario 64 is a good choice since that's the first game that really popularized that type of 3D gameplay.

D_Davis
01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Mario 64 is probably a great choice, although that control scheme doesn't translate onto many of today's controllers.

Personally I'd avoid Goldeneye - even at the time I thought that had terrible controls, and I imagine they'd be even worse by comparison today.

As far as using both sticks, some good training might be something like Katamari Damacy.

Morris Schæffer
01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Definitely not Dark Souls.

Ezee E
01-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Halo?

Morris Schæffer
01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Been playing Just Cause 2 for 48 hours now, blowing up clones and clones of villages, installations, airfields etc... And I just can't stop. Must get 100% on each one. Ridiculously addictive. For sheer value for money, this might be the best game I've ever bought. :)

number8
01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
HUGE RUMOR TODAY!

Id also like to point out that this would make sense for a 2013 launch since Sony showed off the PS3 at E32005 and launched it a little over a year later in the holiday schedule.

A 2013 launch means a couple of things. 1. Unreal 4 engine is ready for game development starting... like.. yesterday. And 2. Although we are only 6 years into the PS3 life cycle (7 for xbox), that does not mean development on PS3 games will cease to their 10 year plan.

Bogus.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/game/3328764/playstation-4-at-e3-story-is-bogus-says-sony/

Morris Schæffer
01-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Reliving my Amiga 500 days at the moment with the emulator winuae. I never could achieve truly satisfying results until right now due to lack of experience. But man, things are awesome right now. The games run spectacularly well. Got some cool visual filters to boost the graphics a bit. Some guy even created a monitor bezel that I'm using. Check it out:

http://eabmobile.abime.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29 061&d=1310320598

Ace stuff! Now excuse me, I'm booting up Turrican 2.

Dukefrukem
01-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Bogus.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/game/3328764/playstation-4-at-e3-story-is-bogus-says-sony/

:(

megladon8
01-10-2012, 12:40 AM
"Renegade Ops" is freaking awesome. Anyone with even the remotest of interest in top-down, dual stick shooting action needs to play it ASAP.

I played through the whole single player campaign today in a marathon run, and between the various characters and vehicles, leveling / upgrading system, and arcade style multiplier-based score system, there is plenty of incentive to play it again and again and again.

So much explosive fun, all in a slick, top notch presentation. Gorgeous graphics, pitch-perfect controls for both land and air vehicles, and the hilariously over-the-top story and comic book cutscenes rock.

This is definitely one of the best games I've played from 2011.

Sven
01-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Got some PS3 credit. What are a few essential DLC games? I'm a big fan of platformers and tower defense games, but am willing to try new things.

EyesWideOpen
01-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Flower is one of my favorite games ever. I highly recommend it.

Scar
01-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Flower is one of my favorite games ever. I highly recommend it.

This.

Skitch
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Flower was amazing, and I've only played the demo.

Spun Lepton
01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Flower shmower. Unless the flower makes people's heads explode, I have no interest!!

Scar
01-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Flower shmower. Unless the flower makes people's heads explode, I have no interest!!

Hell, our favorite police officer rather enjoys Flower.

Spun Lepton
01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Hell, our favorite police officer rather enjoys Flower.

{{CENSORED}} for fear of retialiation.

D_Davis
01-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Flower = gays

Milky Joe
01-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Got some PS3 credit. What are a few essential DLC games? I'm a big fan of platformers and tower defense games, but am willing to try new things.

I've been meaning to get Noby Noby Boy for a while. Might do that tonight actually.

vlMhthzbL1I

EyesWideOpen
01-11-2012, 01:34 AM
I thought I would love Noby Noby Boy and I didn't care for it.

Spun Lepton
01-11-2012, 03:51 AM
WTF?!

Dukefrukem
01-11-2012, 01:24 PM
I've been meaning to get Noby Noby Boy for a while. Might do that tonight actually.

vlMhthzbL1I

This game freaks me out. I stopped playing it when I reached the moon.

Skitch
01-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Finished Red Faction Armageddon. Its about half as awesome as Guerrilla. Unfortunate.

D_Davis
01-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Holy shit. The character designs in the FF games just keep getting worse.

http://www.ff-versusxiii.net/images/media/4f08acf4_Final-Fantasy-XIII-2-Alyssa-Model.png

What in the FUCK is up with that shirt? Why would I ever want to play a character that looks like that?

Absolutely hilarious.

Lucky
01-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Man, I know some of their characters have been purposely androgynous, but I honestly can't tell you if that's supposed to be a girl or a boy.

Spun Lepton
01-14-2012, 05:02 AM
Finished Red Faction Armageddon. Its about half as awesome as Guerrilla. Unfortunate.

I got, maybe 20% through it and put it down. You would think rampant destruction would be a lot more fun, but it wasn't.

I picked up Saint's Row The Third, and so far I'm loving it. If you liked the second, you'll probably like the third. I love the fighting combos. So much fun to attack random pedestrians and beat them silly. And, like the second, the soundtrack is, overall, much better than GTA's. The electronic and modern rock stations are favorites. They've even introduced me to a band (?) that I really like. "The Do."

EyesWideOpen
01-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Getting into Skylanders has been quite the profitable enterprise. I now own all the characters released but one and have spent over $300. Which you're probably saying is insane but I have been buying up extra rare ones while out driving for my job and selling them on ebay which has covered all the $300 I spent and also made me $200 extra profit.

bac0n
01-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Holy shit. The character designs in the FF games just keep getting worse.

Yeah, what is up with those pouches? Was Rob Liefeld in charge of designing the outfits?

Dukefrukem
01-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Fuck you Gabe. Fuck you.

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/valve/half-life/halflife30114-610.jpg

Morris Schæffer
01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
He kinda looks like a man who has been sitting on his arse all day doing fuck all.

Thirdmango
01-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Been playing Just Cause 2 for 48 hours now, blowing up clones and clones of villages, installations, airfields etc... And I just can't stop. Must get 100% on each one. Ridiculously addictive. For sheer value for money, this might be the best game I've ever bought. :)

The exact same thing happened to me. The game was highly addictive and I set out to do everything. I got if I remember correctly about 95% total, but I did get 100% in all of the areas. There are just a lot of boxes outside of actual areas and running around the map looking for those boxes is basically impossible. Someday in the future I will play it on the hardest mode to try and get the last achievements I don't have.

D_Davis
01-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Totally back into Dark Souls. :)

Got my main up to SL100. Just did an epic Anor Londo run with two summoned phantoms - we totally destroyed. And I've been spending lots of time fighting the Forest Bros. I'm definitely getting the hang of PVP now.

Morris Schæffer
01-15-2012, 07:51 AM
The exact same thing happened to me. The game was highly addictive and I set out to do everything. I got if I remember correctly about 95% total, but I did get 100% in all of the areas. There are just a lot of boxes outside of actual areas and running around the map looking for those boxes is basically impossible. Someday in the future I will play it on the hardest mode to try and get the last achievements I don't have.

You are right. There are some boxes that don't really belong to any place on the map. Also, best game explosions ever!!

D_Davis
01-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Man can you ever rack up the souls in PVP. Last night at one point I have over 500k. Crazy.

shaun
01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
The class storylines in The Old Republic are pretty great and I'm up to level 30 with my sith marauder. This game has by far the best implementation of crafting of any MMO I've played because you don't actually have to do any of it yourself. Just send your idle companions to farm tasks for you while you play. Good stuff.

Still having a lot of fun a month later which is usually when I quit these games.

megladon8
01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm taking a break from "Skyrim". Hit nearly 100 hours and was starting to feel a little burnt out. I completed the main quest which was pretty disappointing (unsurprisingly so) and only have the thieves' guild and the bards college left in terms of guild joining stuff.

I've moved on to "Dead Island", and it's pretty great. It's certainly immediately apparent that there's a certain lack of polish between a blockbuster like "Skyrim", and something just a level or two lower like this. Textures are less defined, controls aren't quite as sharp and intuitive.

But the weapon-building is pretty dang fun. I just made my first nail'd baseball bat and I've been effectively dealing out death with it.

Oh, another kind of bothersome aspect - I chose to play as the Asian woman, but the characters still talk to and refer to me as a man. It seems to me that it wouldn't have been very difficult to, short of recording lines twice, have the dialogue written without using any gender-specific addresses. Having that Australian dude with the Mike Tyson face tattoo constantly call me "mate" and refer to me as "him" when talking to his friend about my immunity to the infection is distracting and sometimes confusing.

But the world is impressive - some gorgeous vistas to be seen - and looting different pieces and parts to make new weapons is really cool.

I seriously doubt it'll hold me like "Skyrim" did, but it's a fun loot-based RPG on its own right, and I think I may actually prefer it to the "L4D" games, particularly since I can't play anything multiplayer at the moment.

Scar
01-15-2012, 06:57 PM
I initially enjoyed Dead Island, then it felt like a chore, and then I flat out blew up at the final section.

megladon8
01-15-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm really enjoying GiantBomb's piece on game criticism vs game reviewing (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/on-games-reviews-and-criticism-part-1/3912/).

Good stuff.

Scar
01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
I got, maybe 20% through it and put it down. You would think rampant destruction would be a lot more fun, but it wasn't.

I picked up Saint's Row The Third, and so far I'm loving it. If you liked the second, you'll probably like the third. I love the fighting combos. So much fun to attack random pedestrians and beat them silly. And, like the second, the soundtrack is, overall, much better than GTA's. The electronic and modern rock stations are favorites. They've even introduced me to a band (?) that I really like. "The Do."

Installing as I type.

D_Davis
01-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Just hit 1 million souls in Dark Souls. And I bought a butt-load of Twinkling Titanite.

Dukefrukem
01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
He kinda looks like a man who has been sitting on his arse all day doing fuck all.

But do you see what's in the background?

Ezee E
01-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Nobody really plays the sports games, but I'm into FIFA '12s Ultimate Team game mode right now and it makes the game even more addictive.

Trying to upgrade a team to have the best mix of talent/chemistry/personal favorites is just awesome. As opposed to the other sports games, there are so many players and nations in soccer that you face original teams all the time as well. In Madden, everyone has guys like Sproles...

megladon8
01-16-2012, 01:57 AM
Just hit 1 million souls in Dark Souls. And I bought a butt-load of Twinkling Titanite.

I think when I start playing this game again, I will start a new character.

I'm thinking that trying to jump right back in after months without play, in the middle of Blighttown, won't work out too well.

megladon8
01-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Nobody really plays the sports games, but I'm into FIFA '12s Ultimate Team game mode right now and it makes the game even more addictive.

Trying to upgrade a team to have the best mix of talent/chemistry/personal favorites is just awesome. As opposed to the other sports games, there are so many players and nations in soccer that you face original teams all the time as well. In Madden, everyone has guys like Sproles...

I hear that, apparently, that new "NFL Blitz" game (a downloadable title) is freaking amazing.

So much so that many reviews are saying it's better than almost all full retail priced football games of the past couple of years.

For me, personally, if I'm going to play a sports game it's usually something in the extreme sports line (snow/skate boarding), basketball, or a racing game.

Winston*
01-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Finished Batman Arkham City. Enjoyed it a lot, though I don't get how the graphics and grappling system can feel so flash but the boss battles don't feel much evolved than those in MediEvil or something on the PS1. Narrative was pretty weak too.

Ezee E
01-16-2012, 03:03 AM
I hear that, apparently, that new "NFL Blitz" game (a downloadable title) is freaking amazing.

So much so that many reviews are saying it's better than almost all full retail priced football games of the past couple of years.

For me, personally, if I'm going to play a sports game it's usually something in the extreme sports line (snow/skate boarding), basketball, or a racing game.
I'll have to try the demo out.

Would like a "FIFA Street" or something. If it were indoors, even better.

Acapelli
01-16-2012, 03:49 AM
nfl blitz rules. for those that remember the original blitz games, they've cut out the late hits at the nfl's behest, but it's still a lot of fun

just got it yesterday but i've already played it a ton

Morris Schæffer
01-16-2012, 09:20 AM
But do you see what's in the background?

Bloody hell! I came across the picture again yesterday and figured I should look at the background, but got distracted and didn't look.

So the game is completed and Gabe is just sitting on his fat arse pretending to be John Rambo?:)

megladon8
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
The picture is fake anyways, so who cares?

Dukefrukem
01-16-2012, 04:36 PM
It is?

Morris Schæffer
01-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Well, I suppose it must be right?

Dukefrukem
01-16-2012, 05:56 PM
I thought it was just Gabe teasing us.

number8
01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah, it's shopped. This is the original.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/716/photodak.jpg

"Half-Life 3" is sort of a meme. There are plenty of people on message boards making up fake clues and leaks. That's not even one of the more elaborate ones, unlike the fake website and the fake viral video clue or the fake staff t-shirt.

Morris Schæffer
01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Still, fuck you Gabe!

Skitch
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Decided to conquer Viking: Battle For Asgard next. Have so many games on my stack that remain unplayed. I wanted something light. So far its like a (really) poor man's Fable. I kinda dig it, though!

Dukefrukem
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I just bought Mass Effect 2 on PS3 ($20). I've decided I am buying ME3 on PS3 so I need to replay ME2 for the saved game imports.

D_Davis
01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
So yesterday, in Dark Souls, while exploring the Tomb of the Giants, I found an entirely different route to take, and an entire new room of enemies with a very important item that I had never found before - all this after spending 300 hours in the game.

That's just crazy.

Ezee E
01-17-2012, 06:34 PM
When does 3 come out?

number8
01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Yo, they just put Shadow of the Colossus HD on the PSN. Twenty bucks.

ICO, too.

D_Davis
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM

ICO, too.

Nice. Glad I waited.

Lasse
01-17-2012, 07:21 PM
What are the best video game review sites that does video clips for reviews? Something like the Angry Video Game Nerd, but possibly with less cussing. Retro- and current games are equally interesting for me.

Lasse
01-17-2012, 07:22 PM

ICO, too.

Thanks. Might try them then. :)

D_Davis
01-17-2012, 07:31 PM
What are the best video game review sites that does video clips for reviews? Something like the Angry Video Game Nerd, but possibly with less cussing. Retro- and current games are equally interesting for me.

I love Giantbomb's video coverage.

number8
01-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Nice. Glad I waited.

Yeah, me too. The convenience of not having a disc aside, it's nice to buy it one of a time at the same price instead of having to buy the bundle.

D_Davis
01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah, me too. The convenience of not having a disc aside, it's nice to buy it one of a time at the same price instead of having to buy the bundle.

Yeah - I don't really want to play Ico again, but I really want to play SoC again.

Dukefrukem
01-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Gametrailers

Acapelli
01-18-2012, 04:09 AM
the ico/shadow of the colossus disc has been on sale a lot lately

i've seen it go from $20-30

megladon8
01-19-2012, 03:01 AM
Well, problems aside (and there are many, for sure), I am really having fun with "Dead Island". I've played for just under 10 hours now, am on Act II of the main story, and I'm still enjoying the zombie slaying.

Two new zombie types have been introduced - the "suicider" (I think that's what it's called?) who is a big, gross, gurgling mess of putrid flesh that gets near you and blows up. And then one who is a huge, hulking monster in a straight jacket.

I'm liking the ability to customize weapons. I've made a few neat ones (including some Wolverine claws which were a bit disappointing when I actually used them). My favorite so far has probably been a plain ol' baseball bat with nails stickin' out of it.

Morris Schæffer
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
I think I would enjoy this game also. I should get it soon enough from my brother. But first I need to blow up some shit in Just Cause 2. :)

Morris Schæffer
01-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Potentially awesome xbla game on the way: Deadlight

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_deadlight-18046-2420_0002.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_deadlight-18046-2420_0004.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_deadlight-18046-2420_0003.jpg

Morris Schæffer
01-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Just read an article on Naughty Dog's latest The Last of Us. Very promising stuff with much emphasis on character interaction. The facial expressions will be ahead of Uncharted in terms of nuance and subtlety. Here's a video which planted the seeds at Naughty Dog back when Uncharted 2 was completed and they were looking at new IP:

XpniCBZYEU8

Fuck, now that I've seen it, fuck. That looks scary.

PS: The score will be done by Oscar winner Gustavo Santaolalla (Brokeback Mountain)

Dukefrukem
01-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Just read an article on Naughty Dog's latest The Last of Us. Very promising stuff with much emphasis on character interaction. The facial expressions will be ahead of Uncharted in terms of nuance and subtlety. Here's a video which planted the seeds at Naughty Dog back when Uncharted 2 was completed and they were looking at new IP:

XpniCBZYEU8

Fuck, now that I've seen it, fuck. That looks scary.

PS: The score will be done by Oscar winner Gustavo Santaolalla (Brokeback Mountain)

Ah I love coincidences.

I’ve had that Planet Earth Blu-ray since I bought my PS3 back in 2006. After the Pats game last Saturday, my friends and I were drinking and around 2am we decided to watch the Jungle episode. It was the first time I watched this particular Blu-ray.. after seeing that parasite we all vowed never to go near a jungle.
If anyone is facebook friends with me, I posted a video about one of the birds mating dance. I thought it was the funniest fucking thing I’ve ever seen. Video below. This bird exists! (starts at 13 seconds)

c4WnGEufAWg

Morris Schæffer
01-19-2012, 01:44 PM
That is a coincidence! :)

number8
01-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Holy shit son of a bitch GODDAMMIT WHY.

http://gamerspack.com/?p=2828

http://gamerspack.com/gpEN/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/22.jpg

D_Davis
01-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Finally got Gravelorded in Dark Souls. Happened in the Duke's Archives. Some jerk turned three of the Crystal Golems into Dark Phantom versions. Super tough. I couldn't find the Gravelord's summoning sign, though, and thus I couldn't uncurse my world. It was pretty cool. I wish this happened more often. This game just keeps surprising me, and keeps getting better.

D_Davis
01-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Really enjoyed the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo. Terrible name aside, the game is a lot of fun, the combat especially. I wish Skyrim had combat like this. They totally got it right. Really looking forward to the game.

megladon8
01-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Really enjoyed the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo. Terrible name aside, the game is a lot of fun, the combat especially. I wish Skyrim had combat like this. They totally got it right. Really looking forward to the game.

Yeah this one looks really neat.

It kind of came out of nowhere, did it not? Is it a part of some long-standing franchise I'm not aware of or something? I'd never heard of it until like a week ago when IGN started doing crazy preview coverage for it.

EyesWideOpen
01-20-2012, 12:20 AM

I don't play demo's but yeah I'm really excited for it. I went ahead and pre-ordered it from amazon. The videos I've seen on giant bomb along with the podcast they did on it has me interested enough.

D_Davis
01-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Yeah this one looks really neat.

It kind of came out of nowhere, did it not? Is it a part of some long-standing franchise I'm not aware of or something? I'd never heard of it until like a week ago when IGN started doing crazy preview coverage for it.

It's been in development for forever. This is the game that Rich Gallup left Gamespot to help make with Curt Schilling's company, Big Huge Games. They hired RA Salvatore to come up with like 10,000 years of lore for this world, and then they're going to make a bunch of games set in the world, during different eras, including an MMO. One of the lead devs was one of the main devs on the pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls games.

megladon8
01-20-2012, 01:22 AM
It's been in development for forever. This is the game that Rich Gallup left Gamespot to help make with Curt Schilling's company, Big Huge Games. They hired RA Salvatore to come up with like 10,000 years of lore for this world, and then they're going to make a bunch of games set in the world, during different eras, including an MMO. One of the lead devs was one of the main devs on the pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls games.

Wow, I didn't know it had that much history.

I won't be playing the demo (not going to spend 14+ hours downloading it) but does it seem to live up to its lengthy development?

I'm weary of going into something with so much lore. Will the game be understandable to someone who hasn't done extensive research? Even more important, will the game be fun to play for said person?

D_Davis
01-20-2012, 03:43 AM
I skipped all the dialog and cutscenes that I could (hate them) and had a blast playing the game.

Stay Puft
01-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Schilling's company is 38 Studios.

Big Huge Games was founded a long time ago by Brian Reynolds (the guy who made Alpha Centauri) and other former Firaxis dudes. They developed the Rise of Nations franchise, and were bought by THQ in 2008. THQ then decided to close Big Huge Games in 2009, but 38 Studios bought them out and turned their currently in development RPG into a launching platform for their MMO, which is the Kingdom of Amalur stuff. The whole point of this game, Reckoning, is to introduce people to the world and the lore.

So yeah technically the game has been in development a long time, but it was a completely different game for almost half of that time.

There's other big name talent involved, too, such as Todd McFarlane doing art and Grant Kirkhope doing sound/music.

Morris Schæffer
01-20-2012, 07:27 AM
a1lEs5y4udA

!!!!!!!!

D_Davis
01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Schilling's company is 38 Studios.

Big Huge Games was founded a long time ago by Brian Reynolds (the guy who made Alpha Centauri) and other former Firaxis dudes. They developed the Rise of Nations franchise, and were bought by THQ in 2008. THQ then decided to close Big Huge Games in 2009, but 38 Studios bought them out and turned their currently in development RPG into a launching platform for their MMO, which is the Kingdom of Amalur stuff. The whole point of this game, Reckoning, is to introduce people to the world and the lore.

Ah, even more history.

Lucky
01-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Finished the first Mass Effect today. Not really understanding the ultra-hype for this series so far. I'm assuming the second entry in this series is a hands-down improvement?

PROS
+ The story is involving right from the start. Like the interaction you have with it and how you can shape your character with the paragon/renegade system. This is quite possibly the most cinematic video game I've ever played (aside from Xenosaga), but for this game, it works. I think this is the only game I've ever played where I was actually curious enough to probe characters about backstory and learn a bit more about the world.

+Battle system is fun and unlike any other title in this genre. Adjustable difficultly is a welcome feature. I am not ashamed to admit I turned it down to easy a handful of times.

+Graphics and backdrops for the main mission worlds are impressive.

CONS
-The simplicity of the battle system really makes the different classes of characters blend together. Could have used a wider ability chart or better customization options. Dragon Age's system worked this out to much greater effect (no pun intended).

-Mako controls are pretty bad. I hated being stuck in that thing. I know I wasn't forced to use it, but walking those distances wouldn't have been much fun either.

-Exploring space is not nearly as fun as it should have been. Entire planets are reduced to one small map (with a possible mini-dungeon) and terrains start looking the same. My motivation to complete sidequests was very low. This "scale for the sake of scale" setting was reminiscent of traveling across Windwaker's sea.

-Length of elevator rides....is this really necessary?

So I guess my bottom line is that I enjoyed the main story and the bulk of what the game had to offer, but this wasn't really the kind of game that paid off to immerse yourself in. I'll more than likely be picking up the sequel in time for ME3's release unless all of you tell me it gets worse from here...

EyesWideOpen
01-21-2012, 03:13 AM
The Mako is pretty much gone away with in 2 and the elevator rides were to cover up loading times. I loved Mass Effect 1 but I consider 2 to be a better game.

Ezee E
01-21-2012, 03:32 AM
2 improves on all the cons you addressed. It's one of my favorite games.

Winston*
01-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Mass Effect 2 is definitely the better game, though I hope the third one has a stronger sense of overall narrative.

Lucky
01-21-2012, 04:10 AM
Glad to hear. That seems to be the common opinion.

One more CON:
-Where are the epic boss battles to match the cinematic scope of this game? The Thorian had me excited that they were finally throwing a giant alien monster at me, but I never got to fight it head-on. The largest creatures you ever encounter are the Thresher Maws (sp?) on sidequest planets. End boss was lame.

Morris Schæffer
01-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Finally made some progress in zelda: ocarina of time. The game is actually fairly vague and challenging in terms of informing the player what to do next. There is a vague sense of direction provided but beyond that, it's all a matter of exploration. I was getting frustrated with my limited ability to dive (only 3 seconds) , but lo and behold, accepting a stupid diving challenge from one of the zohra's has yielded a special gill that extends it to 6 seconds. And of course, now I can't wait to return to all the diving spots!! :)

It's special to see all those locations I still sort of remember from 12, 13 years ago on the N64. Time fucking flies guys.

EyesWideOpen
01-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Like I said before I usually don't play demos but I heard there was unlockable main game stuff in the Amalur demo (not to mention stuff for ME3) so I just played through it. I thought it was great. Fun combat, colorful environments and I made it through like 6-7 quests in the demo time.

D_Davis
01-22-2012, 03:07 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/400385_300281890022462_1000012 19601760_889704_2023531098_n.j pg

Scar
01-22-2012, 03:11 AM
I wonder if he's compensating for something....?

D_Davis
01-22-2012, 03:34 AM
I wonder if he's compensating for something....?

She.

But I have bigger ones.

KK2.0
01-22-2012, 04:56 AM
!!!!!!!!

I'm kinda split, I enjoyed the trailer a lot but wish for a more traditional Resident Evil game as well. The scenes with Leon at the start kinda brought memories of RE2, but then Chris shows up and everything goes boom.

Morris Schæffer
01-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm kinda split, I enjoyed the trailer a lot but wish for a more traditional Resident Evil game as well. The scenes with Leon at the start kinda brought memories of RE2, but then Chris shows up and everything goes boom.

This seems to be the consensus at the moment, but I never really had this feeling while playing Resident evil 5. I thought it was a kickass sequel which merely continued onwards from the fourth iteration, itself a more action-packed offering than the first three and universally loved by everyone. Still, there's no reason Capcom couldn't attempt a best of both worlds thing here. I mean, they must have been aware of some of the vitriol hurled at part five.

Scar
01-22-2012, 01:26 PM
This seems to be the consensus at the moment, but I never really had this feeling while playing Resident evil 5. I thought it was a kickass sequel which merely continued onwards from the fourth iteration, itself a more action-packed offering than the first three and universally loved by everyone. Still, there's no reason Capcom couldn't attempt a best of both worlds thing here. I mean, they must have been aware of some of the vitriol hurled at part five.

Just as long as you're saying that 4 was universally loved by everyone, not 5....

EyesWideOpen
01-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Resident Evil is one of my favorite gaming series and 4 is by far my least favorite. I just replayed it when it was re-released on 360 recently to see if my opinion changed and it hadn't I liked it even less.

D_Davis
01-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I like some of the RE games and 4 is my favorite; 5 is my least favorite. I haven't played some of them, like the light gun games.

EyesWideOpen
01-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I like some of the RE games and 4 is my favorite; 5 is my least favorite. I haven't played some of them, like the light gun games.

I meant the main game series not the little side shoot stuff.

Morris Schæffer
01-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Just as long as you're saying that 4 was universally loved by everyone, not 5....

That's what I was saying. :)

Rowland
01-22-2012, 10:30 PM
My favorite Resident Evil is the RE1 remake for the GC, which fleshes out the original game in innumerably clever ways, and it's fucking gorgeous and scary to boot, followed probably by RE2, which I must have played through a dozen times through its various scenarios back in the day. RE4 was a pretty great game, but I've never been compelled to play it again after that single run-through, I haven't played RE5 but I watched my former roommates playing it co-op and it just looked like a generic action game, RE3 was okay but kinda uninspired in my estimation, ditto RE0.

Rowland
01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
I just finished Super Mario Galaxy with 120 stars, and I'm very satisfied, as this was an obvious improvement over the sporadically brilliant but very flawed Super Mario Sunshine. There is still room for improvement though, particularly in its sometimes-uninspired methods of padding out the game to 120 stars, especially with some of the special comet zones appearing tossed-off and thus feeling merely tedious.

Rowland
01-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Did anyone play the Dual Shock edition of the Resident Evil Director's Cut for the PS1? Everyone hated its updated soundtrack, but I actually really (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wft07hr6D2c&feature=related) liked (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AINuqfwr0XA&feature=related) it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiKienmRiQ&feature=related).

Morris Schæffer
01-23-2012, 08:31 AM
When I get the Wii U l'll probably buy super mario galaxy 2 and the Metroid Prime collection as I understood the Wii U to be backwards compatible.

Dukefrukem
01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Resident Evil franchise is my favorite franchise. I like how we are going back to some real zombies.

Dukefrukem
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Couple of free games headin my way

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/Goozex.jpg

megladon8
01-25-2012, 07:36 PM
The bugs are starting to get a little more aggravating in "Dead Island". A lot of inventory bugs - unable to pick up another med kit because my inventory is full, even though I already have a medkit slot (where it should just add another one); quests disappearing off my quest list.

Also, the pacing is pretty bad. I've been directed to corridor-shooter sewer levels three times in the last two hours. Starting to remind me of "Half Life 2: Episode 1".

But, despite these problems, I still cannot agree with Yahtzee Croshaw and others that it's one of the worst games of last year. The zombie killing is incredibly satisfying particularly with the dismemberment system, and creating / modifying weapons is super cool.

My favorite weapon at the moment is a machete which I put the "shock mod" on, so if I get a critical hit the enemy flails around in a huge, smoking, electrocuted mess.

megladon8
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Oh and the new X-Box next fall may be the first time I buy a system right at release.

I've usually waited for a system to be a couple of years old before I purchased it, but this one sounds pretty awesome right off the bat.

Can't wait to see what it's capable of.

D_Davis
01-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Hopefully the rumors of it not playing used (or borrowed for that matter) games is untrue. If that is true, I won't be buying one at all.

Ezee E
01-25-2012, 10:25 PM
How would an Xbox know if it's been used or not?

D_Davis
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
How would an Xbox know if it's been used or not?

It would match, through some kind of unique digital code, one disc to one console. That disc could only be played in the console to which it is matched.

This way, if you wanted to play a used, borrowed, or rented game, you would probably have to download and activation code via XBLA (much like how EA now sells online passes for used games). This is so that the publisher continues to see a profit.

It's bullshit, and hopefully the rumors are untrue.

http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-the-next-xbox-will-play-blu+ray-may-not-play-used-games-and-will-introduce-kinect-2

Winston*
01-25-2012, 10:35 PM
The video game company argument against second hand games is ridiculous. Furniture makers aren't making any money when I buy a second hand chair and they don't bitch about it.

Spun Lepton
01-25-2012, 10:39 PM
All right, so I'll admit that Postal 2 was a guilty pleasure. I picked up Postal 3 last weekend, and my strongest recommendation is to stay far, far away. What a crap game. Serious buyers regret.

Skitch
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
And considering how many records were broken on income of first day sales of games this generation, they should shut the fuck up.

D_Davis
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
The video game company argument against second hand games is ridiculous. Furniture makers aren't making any money when I buy a second hand chair and they don't bitch about it.

Yeah - what about every single item in a thrift store, or on Craigslist?

Secondary markets exist. Deal with it.

D_Davis
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
I just hope that, if it ends up beings true, gamers are smart enough and strong enough to vote with their dollars and not support the Next Box.

EyesWideOpen
01-25-2012, 11:28 PM
I just hope that, if it ends up beings true, gamers are smart enough and strong enough to vote with their dollars and not support the Next Box.

I would still buy it day one. I get most new games for less then they sell for used. If you're checking for deals you can get good prices and it still supports the game industry. I'm not saying that I never buy used or rented a game but I can fully understand why they want to do everything in their power to stop used game sales. The next next systems will be download only "no physical discs" so then the problem will have solved itself.

Kurosawa Fan
01-25-2012, 11:58 PM
How could that possibly be true? No one will ever be allowed to rent or borrow a video game again? Wouldn't that put GameFly out of business? I can't imagine a scenario where that doesn't completely ruin the video game industry.

Dead & Messed Up
01-26-2012, 12:01 AM
When I get the Wii U l'll probably buy super mario galaxy 2 and the Metroid Prime collection as I understood the Wii U to be backwards compatible.

Good look finding Metroid Prime Trilogy for a reasonable price.

The GCN Resident Evil remake is lovely and clever, but I still prefer Resident Evil 2 and especially Resident Evil 4.

Winston*
01-26-2012, 12:02 AM
I would still buy it day one. I get most new games for less then they sell for used. If you're checking for deals you can get good prices and it still supports the game industry. I'm not saying that I never buy used or rented a game but I can fully understand why they want to do everything in their power to stop used game sales. The next next systems will be download only "no physical discs" so then the problem will have solved itself.

I like to sell my games after I've completed them. No sense keeping something I'm not going to use again.

Irish
01-26-2012, 12:13 AM
How could that possibly be true? No one will ever be allowed to rent or borrow a video game again? Wouldn't that put GameFly out of business? I can't imagine a scenario where that doesn't completely ruin the video game industry.

My guess is that there will be an account "authorization" system similar to what Apple has done with iTunes, Amazon has done with the Kindle, and Valve has done with Steam. This could allow limited, time based sharing across devices (so DLC on your Xbox could be played on your phone).

If they do it right, you'll barely notice and won't care. If they do it wrong .. ugh.

Skitch
01-26-2012, 12:56 AM
This would cut my gaming by 90%. All my purchases are used. I simply cannot afford to spend that much. I know gamers that want a game, look for it used, if its not available, they buy new. Me buying a used copy means there's one less there, and some else buys it new.

This is just horrible idea all the way around. What next, movies?

D_Davis
01-26-2012, 01:23 AM

Publishers have been trying, unsuccessful, to figure out ways to kill the used and rental markets. They view each rental and used sell as a lost sell, even though all the evidence points towards the opposite being true.

It's just another example of a legacy industry being totally disconnected from reality.

D_Davis
01-26-2012, 01:24 AM

So are you also anti-thrift stores?

Every buy a used car?

Will you only ever buy newly constructed houses?

D_Davis
01-26-2012, 01:25 AM
Remember the RIAA's fight against Warehouse and used CDs?

megladon8
01-26-2012, 01:28 AM
It won't happen. There are too many exceptions that the system and the company would have to make - like friends borrowing and lending games - that it just won't work.

I'm also not nearly passionate enough to turn it into some political movement if it does happen. I'll buy the system because X-Box has the franchises I enjoy and follow most. And to be honest, I don't really buy used games anyways.

I don't really buy anything used, actually.

EyesWideOpen
01-26-2012, 01:40 AM

Every buy a used car?

I said right in my post that you quoted that I've bought used. I just can understand why as a publisher they would rather make money off a customer then making $0.

Ivan Drago
01-26-2012, 03:07 AM
Oh and the new X-Box next fall may be the first time I buy a system right at release.

Well, that was a fun 2-3 years of the Xbox 360. Maybe it'll be more if the 720's too expensive once in launches.

Dukefrukem
01-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Hopefully the rumors of it not playing used (or borrowed for that matter) games is untrue. If that is true, I won't be buying one at all.

Holy shit. I hadn't heard about this until now but I am strongly apposed to any console doing that. I like the system that is out there right now for Sony. If you buy it used or borrowed, you need to buy a $10 key to play online (or access to content like Catwoman in Batman AC). But a digital code that comes with each disc is absolutely the shitiest thing I've ever heard.

Dukefrukem
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Good look finding Metroid Prime Trilogy for a reasonable price.

The GCN Resident Evil remake is lovely and clever, but I still prefer Resident Evil 2 and especially Resident Evil 4.

That RE game has been sitting next to my boxed up GC for years. Every time I see it in my closet, I think to myself, "I should play that".

Dukefrukem
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
I like to sell my games after I've completed them. No sense keeping something I'm not going to use again.

Goozex (http://www.goozex.com/)Baby. Better deals for your games.

number8
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Every buy a used car?

Wait, are you saying that if Amazon is selling a brand new game for $40 and some guy on Craigslist has a used copy for $50, you'd be morally compelled to spend an extra $10 for the used copy?

D_Davis
01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Wait, are you saying that if Amazon is selling a brand new game for $40 and some guy on Craigslist has a used copy for $50, you'd be morally compelled to spend an extra $10 for the used copy?

I didn't say that at all.

number8
01-26-2012, 03:30 PM
I didn't say that at all.

Well, that's the thing about voting with your dollars. If you choose to get the game for $10 cheaper, you'd be giving your money to the publishers, which is what you were advocating against. What EWO was saying was that if he could get a new game in a deal for less than what a used copy would go for even two months later, he would be giving his money to the big publishers on release.

D_Davis
01-26-2012, 03:39 PM
What I'm arguing against is having a choice being taken away from a consumer.

Right now, we have the choice - new or used. I hope that choice continues into the future.

If it doesn't, then I will vote with my dollar by not continuing with the hobby. Like movies, games will become something that I won't participate much in any more.

Also, game publishers aren't special. There are secondary markets for all kinds of used things. They don't own me, nor do they have any right to expect my money. They're lucky that I've chosen to participate in the entertainment they provide. But I can do just fine without them. They, however, cannot do fine without consumers/customers. They need us, we don't need them.

Sycophant
01-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Is there for sure gonna be a new MS console next year? I really don't want another console generation. I really hoped the Sony people were right about this one lasting ten years.

Dukefrukem
01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm with ya Syco. Back in the day when there were four or five big developers we waited years for titles to be released. Now, with XBL, PSN, independent gaming and an industry that’s saturated with developers, the sensory overload of games is crazy. I’ve come to realize I’ll never finish my backlog.

D_Davis
01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm with both'ya. I can't really see the need for new consoles right now. The 360 and PS3 are still powerful enough for me. And there's still a ton of games on both systems that I want to play. It'll be well into the next console cycle before I purchase one. Heck, I just bought a PS3 a few months ago.

Skitch
01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Count me in on that too.

Irish
01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Is there for sure gonna be a new MS console next year? I really don't want another console generation. I really hoped the Sony people were right about this one lasting ten years.

When Sony says 10 years, they really mean 6 or 7 (remember the PS2 was sold & supported long after the PS3 was introduced). Mostly, they're talking about support, though.

I wouldn't trust a baseless Internet rumor, especially when it comes to anything being produced in Redmond.

Even if this rumor is 100% true right now, October 2013 really means June 2014 in real world development cycles.

Morris Schæffer
01-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Look forward to 1080p as standard though. Should remove some more jaggies. Anyhow, Xbox 720 is set for end of 2013 as far as I heard. Frankly, that's 7-8 years after the release of the 360. A human life is short enough and I wouldn't even complain if there was a new console every 3 years.

number8
01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
When you get down to it, it doesn't really matter if a new console is released. It only matters if developers stop making games for the current consoles. I imagine that even if the PS4 comes out this year, there will still be new PS3 games for another 3-4 years. So there's no issue there as long as you stop convincing yourself that you need the new shit.

D_Davis
01-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah - they're still making PS2 games. So its 15-year life cycle that Sony claimed will probably be true, or close to it.

Sycophant
01-26-2012, 05:13 PM
A human's life is short enough, I don't want to feel compelled to spend $400 for a game box every 5 years. Especially of the leap isn't gigantic, which I'm pretty confident the next generation won't be.

Granted, I'd wait a few years before buying a PS4 or whatever, just like I did for the PS3, which I bought in '09. Still.

A big concern for me is that developing for consoles is already much more expensive than it was in the DVD era. Enough developers have shit down or have stopped taking as many risks with weird little games. I don't want that to get even harder, when I don't think this generation has been mastered quite yet.

Dukefrukem
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
A human's life is short enough, I don't want to feel compelled to spend $400 for a game box every 5 years. Especially of the leap isn't gigantic, which I'm pretty confident the next generation won't be.

I dunno bout that

RSXyztq_0uM

number8
01-26-2012, 06:02 PM
I've seen that before, but the fact that the video presents itself like a cutscene to me undercuts the idea that next-gen graphics will look like current-gen pre-renders. Would've been more effective if they do a mock gameplay video.

megladon8
01-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I've seen that before, but the fact that the video presents itself like a cutscene to me undercuts the idea that next-gen graphics will look like current-gen pre-renders. Would've been more effective if they do a mock gameplay video.

I've been saying this for a while now - I've noticed that just about every new console generation has graphics that look like the cutscenes from the previous gen.

I would say that if we started getting gameplay that looked like the cutscenes in, say, "Left 4 Dead 2", that would be pretty exciting.

shaun
01-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Steam is finally available on both iOS and Android.

http://kotaku.com/5879667/steam-gets-a-mobile-app-for-droid-and-ios

D_Davis
01-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Gotta love the Bottomless Box glitch in Dark Souls. Now I can start a brand new character with all the gear my main has found. Makes starting over even more fun. Just rang the first and second bells and did a bunch of PVP in the Undead Parish. Still not bored of this game.

Dukefrukem
01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Steam is finally available on both iOS and Android.

http://kotaku.com/5879667/steam-gets-a-mobile-app-for-droid-and-ios

Only to closed beta users.

Spun Lepton
01-27-2012, 04:33 PM
In Saints Row 3, I stole a tank and stored it in my garage. NOW I HAVE A TANK WHENEVER I WANT IT!! MUAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

shaun
01-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Gat Mobile for life! You can also customize a street sweeper with side mounted spinning saw blades, which is pretty ridiculous since the thing only goes like 10 mph.

Spun Lepton
01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Gat Mobile for life! You can also customize a street sweeper with side mounted spinning saw blades, which is pretty ridiculous since the thing only goes like 10 mph.

WAT!!!! DO WANT!!!

number8
01-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Started playing Shadow of the Colossus again. Killed the first two colossi last night. Ahhh, the nostalgia. Seven years later, I still shriek and get so excited to cling on their damn ass hairs.

Thirdmango
01-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah that internet rumor posted about the 720 definitely scares me. I know some people have said they can see it working but what it really will do is completely shut out casual gamers. 99% of the games I own have been played previously on someone else's console. The only games I bought new have been the fallouts and skyrim, and before that I'm pretty sure Shadow of The Colossus when it first came out was the last game I bought new. If the verification were put in they would definitely see a hit in their profits.

EyesWideOpen
01-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah that internet rumor posted about the 720 definitely scares me. I know some people have said they can see it working but what it really will do is completely shut out casual gamers. 99% of the games I own have been played previously on someone else's console. The only games I bought new have been the fallouts and skyrim, and before that I'm pretty sure Shadow of The Colossus when it first came out was the last game I bought new. If the verification were put in they would definitely see a hit in their profits.

How will they see a hit in their profits when you're admitting that you've only bought a handful of "new" games since the PS2? They don't make a dime off you playing games at a friend's house or buying them used. Examples like yours are exactly why they are are wanting to switch over to this verification program.

Kurosawa Fan
01-28-2012, 10:41 PM
How will they see a hit in their profits when you're admitting that you've only bought a handful of "new" games since the PS2? They don't make a dime off you playing games at a friend's house or buying them used. Examples like yours are exactly why they are are wanting to switch over to this verification program.

If Sony is smart, Microsoft will lose a ton of profit on the system when those on the fence decide to buy the PS4 because it allows for borrowing and renting games.

Thirdmango
01-28-2012, 10:46 PM
because people like me won't buy their system in the first place. Think if 25% of the people who buy the system don't buy it because they no longer have a reason to.

My example was based purely on system buys, and they can't sell games to people who don't have systems.

megladon8
01-28-2012, 10:51 PM
A big thing for me will be price point.

I went with a 360 in the first place because it was significantly cheaper than Sony's system right out of the gates.

EyesWideOpen
01-29-2012, 04:48 AM
Companies don't make their money on systems. Most video game systems are sold for a loss for the first few years. They make their money on games and accessories.

EyesWideOpen
01-29-2012, 04:52 AM
because people like me won't buy their system in the first place. Think if 25% of the people who buy the system don't buy it because they no longer have a reason to.

My example was based purely on system buys, and they can't sell games to people who don't have systems.

But the number of games they sell will make up for the number of systems they don't sell. People will buy new versions of games instead of the used version just to save $5.

And to clarify I don't believe any of this verification stuff has even the slightest chance of actually happening. I'm just commenting based on the rumors.

Winston*
01-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Deus Ex Human Revolution is set in the future of the eighties.

Morris Schæffer
01-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Some vague rumours are beginning to emerge that Nintendo is considering a name change for their upcoming Wii U console. Seems the current name doesn't quite make the case that it's an entirely new console. Hardcore gamers of course will know, but casual families might just stick with the console that doesn't have a "u."

Morris Schæffer
01-29-2012, 11:11 AM
How awesome is this?

YtBZ68Fx1Kw

D_Davis
01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
LOL

http://i.imgur.com/4RXYU.png

Irish
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Anyone here playing SW:TOR?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Curious to hear your thoughts.

shaun is. And I've been tinkering on the idea of checking it out. I keep seeing commercials for it, but I played it at PAX last year and it didn't seem too great. Felt a lot like KOTOR only playing with real people. Not sure I want to invest in a game like that.

shaun
01-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Curious to hear your thoughts.I have a 43 sith marauder and have played it pretty much since launch. It's essentially a single player game until you you reach 50, where from what I understand you spend most of your time in group instanced content and PVP.

There are 8 classes to choose from but technically only 4 because each one has a mirror on the other side, i.e. Jedi Knight (Republic) = Sith Warrior (Empire). Each of those classes can choose one of two Advanced Classes at level 10. Sith warriors can choose between Juggernaut (close range tanking, single lightsaber) or Marauder (close range DPS, dual sabers) and from there, each adv class can spec in a 3 talent tree system similar to most MMOs post-WoW.

The leveling itself is standard theme park mmo, go here, kill x number of droids here so you can defeat Elite MOB X, gain exp. This brings you from planet to planet following their storylines while also following your main class quest. You're granted multiple companions along the way that fight alongside you. Some tank, some are strictly DPS, one of mine is a healer which I never use. The ones you're not actively using, you can send off to complete tradeskill missions and collect materials so you dont have to do it yourself. If you're into that sort of thing.

My marauder class quest is pretty engaging My master is having me start wars and break treaties in order to scheme his way onto the Dark Council. I assume he'll betray me and I'll be forced to kill him. Relationships are pretty fleeting on the Sith side. and I don't think I've heard any complaints from my friends who are leveling other classes. BioWare is good at that stuff.

I think it's worth a playthrough. I might level a Republic character after this one because I can see getting pretty bored at 50 if the only thing to do is instanced content in order to get better gear.

Ezee E
01-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Pay per month I assume?

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Yes. How long did it take you to get to lvl 43? (hours)

Irish
01-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks for The responses, guys.

@Duke - feel the same way you do. Looks cool, tempted .. But after playing WoW for ~5 years I'm a little burnt out on the whole instance/raid/shitty unbalanced PvP thing.

@Shaun - Do you think it's worth buying for single player alone? I'm pretty much convinced at this point that max level MMOs have to suck by definition. But if the single player pre-50 stuff is as engaging as KOTOR, I could see myself buying it for that & then just canceling the sub when I hit max level.

shaun
01-30-2012, 06:39 PM
It's one month free and then $15 or whatever after. My /played time is probably like 70ish hours. I think I read 100 hours is pretty standard to 50 by just doing storyline quests.

One game mechanic that annoys me and this is probably because of my years playing EQ, is that even trash mobs are essentially "encounters" and what I mean by that is you'll be sent to a cave full of Talz on Hoth. Every 15 yards or so there will be a group of 3, 1 strong 2 normal or a group of 2 strong and nothing else. Or a strong roamer. Or the elite in the corner. I guess my complaint is that you can basically see everything you're going to fight ahead of time. And you can't single pull anything unless it's a single "encounter" i.e. the lone elite mob. You aggro one in the group, the others will also attack. I wish it was more varied.

@Shaun - Do you think it's worth buying for single player alone? I'm pretty much convinced at this point that max level MMOs have to suck by definition. But if the single player pre-50 stuff is as engaging as KOTOR, I could see myself buying it for that & then just canceling the sub when I hit max level.Definitely. I don't even know if I'll be interested in doing any of the post-50 group and gear stuff but I've already enjoyed enough hours on my class quests that it was worth it for me.

One guy I know played to 50, hated the unbalanced PVP, and just never re-subbed. I did the same with Rift when it came out.

D_Davis
01-30-2012, 06:43 PM
On the recent 8-4 play podcast, they said that Kaz Hirai stated that Sony will not be showing the PS4 this year at E3, which pretty much means that MS will not be showing the next XBOX since Sony previously said that they would not let MS beat them to the punch again.

That's a lot of saids.....

Anyhow, I'm betting that we won't see new consoles from Sony or Microsoft until 2014.

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks for The responses, guys.

@Duke - feel the same way you do. Looks cool, tempted .. But after playing WoW for ~5 years I'm a little burnt out on the whole instance/raid/shitty unbalanced PvP thing.

@Shaun - Do you think it's worth buying for single player alone? I'm pretty much convinced at this point that max level MMOs have to suck by definition. But if the single player pre-50 stuff is as engaging as KOTOR, I could see myself buying it for that & then just canceling the sub when I hit max level.

Id be willing to pick it up and play through a few levels with you if you're interested. I hate starting MMOs by myself. I feel like it defeats the purpose. I could just play KOTOR again. This way we can be confused together.

Shaun, what server are you on?

shaun
01-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Canderous Ordo, character's name is Ozu.

I can play around on a new class with you guys if you get it.

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
I think I'm gonna check it out. It's not on steam is it? Only on Origin?

It's $46.89 on Amazon for me. Is it cheaper if I get it through Origin? (no access right now)

Irish
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Haha! Canderous Ordo! I was gonna go for that or Ebon Hawk, just because of the Kotor associations. :D

Okay, I'm pretty much sold for at least the month.

I heard you can be a lightsider in the Empire. Is this true? Playing darkside in Kotor was fun & funny sometimes ("I'm going to destroy you & tell her you're still out here." "Whaaa? You .. you monster!") but other times it just made me feel like an asshole ("I killed your daughter, and I'll kill you too if you tell anyone about this!").

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 07:33 PM
awww you both want to go Empire? I want to be on the good guys team.

Irish
01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Duke, just FYI, I'm seeing it for $42 on Amazon here (standard edition):

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2

And yeah, every Bioware release from now on (Mass Effect 3 too) is going to be Origins only, no Steam.

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Duke, just FYI, I'm seeing it for $42 on Amazon here (standard edition):

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2

And yeah, every Bioware release from now on (Mass Effect 3 too) is going to be Origins only, no Steam.

Says $46.89 for me. What the heck?

Irish
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
awww you both want to go Empire? I want to be on the good guys team.

Haha only said that because Ozu is Empire. Personal preference is to go Republic. They're assholes & I hate the Jedi Council, but at least they're not as schmucky as the Sith. :P

Otoh, if you can play lightsider in the Empire, that could have a lot of cool possibilities.

Irish
01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Says $46.89 for me. What the heck?

Showing as $41.97 for me. I guess Amazon loves me more than you? If so, that's weird because I haven't ordered anything from them outside of ebooks in yeaaaaars.

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Showing as $41.97 for me. I guess Amazon loves me more than you? If so, that's weird because I haven't ordered anything from them outside of ebooks in yeaaaaars.

Wait. I see a $41.97 + $3.99 shipping from a 3rd party vendor called Mister Money. Is that what you're looking at?

I was looking for Amazon Prime eligible prices. (the main price on the product page)

I was worried that Amazon might start charging me more for things because I use Prime so often.... Kind of what Netflix does to heavy user by throttling back shipping time.

Irish
01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Lol yeah I just noticed that. Mister Money wants $4 shipping, fuck him.

There's a regular listing for ~$46 bucks or so.

shaun
01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I heard you can be a lightsider in the Empire. Is this true? Playing darkside in Kotor was fun & funny sometimes ("I'm going to destroy you & tell her you're still out here." "Whaaa? You .. you monster!") but other times it just made me feel like an asshole ("I killed your daughter, and I'll kill you too if you tell anyone about this!").Long answer. The story interactions and answers you give affect 2 different factions, 1) Light Side/Dark Side and 2) your companion's approval of you.

The Light/Dark meter allows you to use weapons and armor that have a minimum requirement of, for example Dark III or Light III. Just know that your total is a net, so if you have 800 Dark Side points and choose to not allow Republic slave children play with boobytrapped explosives, and you get +100 Light Side because of it, now you're at 700 Dark. There's really no benefit to mixing viewpoints. Pick a mindset and stick with it.

Also, companions have different personalities and likes. I have a Twi`lek ex-slave smuggler that hates (negative points) any time I don't stick up for the little guy whereas an apprentice sith of mine likes (positive points) every answer that involves killing and wanton destruction. Better faction with your companion grants additional quests and they time to complete tradeskill tasks is faster.

Short Answer: You can play an "Light Side" Sith that spares lives and negotiates their way out of bad situations, or you can just kill everyone. Same with the Republic. I like the idea of a evil Lord saving kittens or an assholish Jedi though.

Irish
01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Oh man that sounds cool. (Kotor was the same way. There was little advantage to playing the middle of the road, which to me was ultimately a downside -- It's one thing to stik to a play style, but another when that required you to be either a Mother Theresa style walking saint or an aggressive homicidal thug in order to min/max your character).

Anyway, ordering today, should have the game by the end of the week!

Spun Lepton
01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
I've used a ton of side-activities in Saints Row 3 to uber-fy my character. She's now invincible to bullets and rockets. I got into a 2-hour gunfight with a rival gang last night. They didn't stand a chance until I started running out of ammo.

Irish
01-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Btw, Duke, did you see the Penny Arcade pic of Gabe's SWTOR set up? He hooked up his laptop to the 60" tv in his living room.

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Btw, Duke, did you see the Penny Arcade pic of Gabe's SWTOR set up? He hooked up his laptop to the 60" tv in his living room.

No but that sounds awesome. I don't think I'd go above 40'' which is where I am now. Any bigger and the stuff on screen makes me move my head too much.

I should posts pics of my setup.

Morris Schæffer
01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
The neo geo lives!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/30/neo-geo-analogue-cmvs-slim-hands-on

:cool:

Skitch
01-31-2012, 11:19 AM
I finished the infuriating Viking: Legend Of Asgard (I was too far in to quit, and I had to show that bitch who was boss), now on to the new Medal Of Honor. Played the first level last night, man this is looking great! The HD version of Frontline that came with it will be worth the $5 I paid, so its a win even if the new MoH turns to crap.

Dukefrukem
01-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Fuckin A. Pre-ordering Final Fantasy XIII-2, off Amazon gave you a $10 credit to Amazon. Buying it after release gives you a $20 credit to Amazon. WTF?

Spun Lepton
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Finished Saints Row 3 last night. I was hoping the game would be a little longer, but I may actually play through it again. It's insane fun.

This tidbit is for bac0n:

Luchadors on Mars, dude. Luchadors on Mars.

shaun
01-31-2012, 04:25 PM
I assume you played through both endings? They just released the Genkibowl VII DLC and I'm debating whether to pick it up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55380/

My initial playthrough I let Shaundi die because she was annoying. I didn't know about the Gangstas in Space thing until I went back did the alternate.

Spun Lepton
01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
I assume you played through both endings?

Not yet. I wanted to save the alt ending for tonight. :)

Irish
01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Okay, now I've spent waaaaay too much time watching SWTOR videos & reading various forums.

I think I'm going with a non Jedi toon to start. Vanguard looks interesting -- ranged tanking sounds like a helluva lot of fun.

Got a free month of AMZN PRime, so I should get the game by tomorrow.

Dukefrukem
01-31-2012, 06:47 PM
I didn't buy it yesterday and the price shot up to $52... fak.

megladon8
01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
I would be totally into "The Old Republic" if it was on consoles.

Dukefrukem
01-31-2012, 06:58 PM
I would be totally into "The Old Republic" if it was on Xbox.

Fixed. ;)

Irish
01-31-2012, 07:16 PM
I would be totally into "The Old Republic" if it was on consoles.
TBH, would have loved Bioware doing a straight up KOTOR3 single player game, but I'll take what I can get.

Ezee E
01-31-2012, 09:14 PM
TBH, would have loved Bioware doing a straight up KOTOR3 single player game, but I'll take what I can get.
Mass Effect 3 instead.

EyesWideOpen
01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Finished Saints Row 3 last night. I was hoping the game would be a little longer, but I may actually play through it again. It's insane fun.

This tidbit is for bac0n:

Luchadors on Mars, dude. Luchadors on Mars.

I feel kind of bamboozled by the video game media on Saint's Row 3. I do not care for open world gangster games. I've played Saints Row 1 and most GTA games and I get bored after two or so hours. But all of the game of the year awards and talks of how crazy SR3 was prompted me to give it a shot. Now don't get me wrong I had some fun with it but it is exactly the type of game I thought it was and the media way oversold the craziness. 90% of this game is the exact same nonsense and mission structures that are in every other game of this ilk. Giant Bomb kept talking about how great the text adventure part is and it literally lasts less than a minute. Even the cool stuff like the Decker final area and the Luchadores on Mars plays exactly the same as any other mission structure just with different visuals. You move forward, enemies spawn, you kill them, move to the next section, enemies spawn, you kill them, repeat for 30 minutes.

It is cool that by the time you get to the end of the game you unlock/buy a ton of awesome stuff. I bought the upgrades where I cannot take damage from anything and I have unlimited ammo for every weapon with no reloading. It makes getting all the side stuff a lot easier.

Spun Lepton
01-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Well, from day one I was calling it a GTA clone. It's a shameless clone. But, if you like GTA and you're looking for something that's not as self-serious, SR2 and SR3 are definitely your games.

Winston*
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
I bought the second Saints Row, got up to the part where you have to beat a bunch of homeless people to death, thought "what am I doing with my life?", and then never played it again.

D_Davis
01-31-2012, 10:30 PM
I bought the second Saints Row, got up to the part where you have to beat a bunch of homeless people to death, thought "what am I doing with my life?", and then never played it again.

Yeah - why waste your time doing that in a vg when you can do it IRL.

Spun Lepton
01-31-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm seriously considering Old Republic. I may check my laptop to see if it can run it.

Spun Lepton
01-31-2012, 10:39 PM

You're looking for morals and ethics in a video game about being a sociopathic gangster?

megladon8
02-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Well, from day one I was calling it a GTA clone. It's a shameless clone. But, if you like GTA and you're looking for something that's not as self-serious, SR2 and SR3 are definitely your games.

I've always found the "Saints Row" games to be like a video game version of a parody movie.

What Weird Al Yanokovic did to films like Rambo and Gandhi in UHF, "Saints Row" does to the "Grand Theft Auto" and "Mafia" games.

I can't wait to check out number 3. I'm almost done with "Dead Island", then I want to spend more time with "Dark Souls". "SR3" will probably be up next.

Anyone else have "Darksiders 2" at or near the top of their list for 2012?