PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Morris Schæffer
09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Syndicate returns under Starbreeze Studios.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_image_and_press_release_o f_syndicate-11877_en.html

I remember playing the original. Pretty good, pretty unique on the Amiga 500, but a bit clunky maneuvering on the grid-like playing field. Still, the flamethrower was boss!

http://media.gamer.nl/screenshots_thumbs/3efe/3efeb0f3daddbbe6d073e27a0b3cb2 92-665.jpg

http://media.gamer.nl/screenshots_thumbs/bf99/bf9971a7f208a2b9153edb458a8590 6a-665.jpg

http://media.gamer.nl/screenshots_thumbs/60b7/60b7adae6cf6ca44b15ed4f661f7d4 24-665.jpg

http://media.gamer.nl/screenshots_thumbs/9b59/9b59d3150d6ddb136cd7fa149d463e 90-665.jpg

Dukefrukem
09-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Fallout 3 is really impressin me.

Ezee E
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Fallout 3 is really impressin me.
Duh. New Vegas is also great, but there's a lot of crashing and freezes in that game.

Dukefrukem
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Duh. New Vegas is also great, but there's a lot of crashing and freezes in that game.

I wrote it off after its release. For some reason it didn't catch my attention to well. I played it for about 2 hours and was done with it... until now. 25 hours in. :lol:

Morris Schæffer
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I wrote it off after its release. For some reason it didn't catch my attention to well. I played it for about 2 hours and was done with it... until now. 25 hours in. :lol:

That's what happened to me. Except nothing ever happened after the first 1-2 hours. Now I still think it's a game world far too big with very little interesting happening in it. I can't possibly know of course.

Dukefrukem
09-12-2011, 07:47 PM
That's what happened to me. Except nothing ever happened after the first 1-2 hours. Now I still think it's a game world far too big with very little interesting happening in it. I can't possibly know of course.

That's a good point. You do a lot of searching. But the good news is you only have to search once. Then you can quick-travel. A lot of Fallout fans will call BS on that and think quick traveling is lame, but there is no way I'm walkin across the map again just to talk to 1 person. The side quests really aren't that interesting, but the main quest is kinda neat so far.

Spinal
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM

They never fixed that? Shame, cause I think it's a far superior game otherwise.

Ezee E
09-12-2011, 08:11 PM
In the time I had it, no. I haven't played any of the DLC.

Otherwise, I figured they were on the same level. I was kind of hoping for more stories like in the beginning of New Vegas where you have to get the town together to stop the invaders. A small war that you would never be able to handle on your own. That was probably the best mission of all of Fallout.

Spinal
09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
The music in New Vegas is soooo good.

Thirdmango
09-12-2011, 08:26 PM
In the time I had it, no. I haven't played any of the DLC.

Otherwise, I figured they were on the same level. I was kind of hoping for more stories like in the beginning of New Vegas where you have to get the town together to stop the invaders. A small war that you would never be able to handle on your own. That was probably the best mission of all of Fallout.

really? Heh, that's in my bottom 3 of quests in that game.

As for DLC, the third one Old World Blues is the best DLC of both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. It's so incredibly good. It has like 20 mini bosses and it has the voice of Thaddeus Venture.

Spun Lepton
09-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Recent patches have fixed it for the most part. It still happens, but not nearly as frequently.

And, Duke, Fallout 3 is going to be a very short game if you don't do any of the side quests. There are a ton.

Qrazy
09-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I preferred the story of Fallout 3 to New Vegas. I liked both games though. I played all the DLCs and explored everywhere in the first but not in New Vegas. I did a lot of the quests in New Vegas but it kind of annoyed me that I couldn't do them all. I respect that approach to creating the game but I'm a completionist so that rubbed me the wrong way all the same.

Ezee E
09-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I never actually did make it into Vegas. Was having too much of a good time wandering around.

Scar
09-13-2011, 12:26 AM
I lost track of how many times I played Fallout 3 when I was unemployed a couple years back. I eventually Platinum'ed it.

I prefer the story and weapons of New Vegas to Fallout 3. I walked away from it initially, because the crashing drove me insane. When I revisited it, the issue seemed to be almost gone. I plan to play it once again since:

I've sided w/ Mr House and Caesar, and still need to side w/ the New Republic or what not.

Thirdmango
09-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I never actually did make it into Vegas. Was having too much of a good time wandering around.

Ah, see I was going to ask how far you got. If the first mission was your favorite you should keep playing cause the last hour or two is basically the first mission on steroids.

Ezee E
09-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Ah, see I was going to ask how far you got. If the first mission was your favorite you should keep playing cause the last hour or two is basically the first mission on steroids.

Why ya gotta tell me that?

:lol:

Don't know if I will though. FIFA 12 is around the corner, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Thirdmango
09-13-2011, 04:39 AM
if you haven't entered Vegas yet you still have a bunch of a wait. But yeah, steroids.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Recent patches have fixed it for the most part. It still happens, but not nearly as frequently.

And, Duke, Fallout 3 is going to be a very short game if you don't do any of the side quests. There are a ton.

I think I am doing a good job with the side quests. I make a point to do all of the ones I find. However, I failed one because I went in and killed all the vampire people known as "the Family". I didn't like the way they fed on humans. So when I went back to the town on the overpass, as it turned out I am now an enemy of them. So that was a bummer.

I think I found a bug though. I found a tape recording of some dead guy in the tunnels who talks about finding and delivering a "package". The package turns out to be some naughty underwear, but a quest never pops up on who I am supppsed to deliver it to. :confused:

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
I lost track of how many times I played Fallout 3 when I was unemployed a couple years back. I eventually Platinum'ed it.

I prefer the story and weapons of New Vegas to Fallout 3. I walked away from it initially, because the crashing drove me insane. When I revisited it, the issue seemed to be almost gone. I plan to play it once again since:

I've sided w/ Mr House and Caesar, and still need to side w/ the New Republic or what not.

Jesus it must have taken you forever to do that. I started playing on PS3 when it first came out... I got to as far as News Ratio before I gave up. Playing on console is just so damn tedious.

My replay is on PC and I could not be happier. I think that's why I was so turned off by it in the first place. Some console games just DO NOT traslate well. Same goes for Bioshock; looks like shit on console. Dog shit.

EyesWideOpen
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Jesus it must have taken you forever to do that. I started playing on PS3 when it first came out... I got to as far as News Ratio before I gave up. Playing on console is just so damn tedious.

My replay is on PC and I could not be happier. I think that's why I was so turned off by it in the first place. Some console games just DO NOT traslate well. Same goes for Bioshock; looks like shit on console. Dog shit.

You are fucking insane. I knew that before but this cements it.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
You are fucking insane. I knew that before but this cements it.

Nope. Anyone who doesn't have a PC would think this though. It's not your fault, you just don't know any better. The PC versions of these games look so much better it's not even funny.

number8
09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Please. I have the Holosynapse version of Bioshock hooked up to my 7th generation Dalefreyan quadview system. People who play the PC version think it's pretty good, but it's actually kangaroo shit compared to mine.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Well I'm benig serious about these multi-platform games. It's a general fact that my statement is true, regardless of what you believe. In fact, if you haven't played both version there's nothing really to discuss because you haven't experienced it. You're talkin to the guy who owns and has played/completed Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube, PS2 and PC (and soon to be PS3). Ask me which one was the best.

EyesWideOpen
09-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Nope. Anyone who doesn't have a PC would think this though. It's not your fault, you just don't know any better. The PC versions of these games look so much better it's not even funny.

Something looking better on pc does not mean that the console version looks like shit.

Since you're the type of gamer who only cares about graphics maybe you get off on them looking slightly better on one system over another. I couldn't care less.

number8
09-13-2011, 01:47 PM
You're talkin to the guy who owns and has played/completed Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube, PS2 and PC (and soon to be PS3). Ask me which one was the best.

Oh, you haven't played it on the Wii? Ah, well, I'm sure you had fun, too.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Something looking better on pc does not mean that the console version looks like shit.

Since you're the type of gamer who only cares about graphics maybe you get off on them looking slightly better on one system over another. I couldn't care less.

I should have been more clear. Compared to the PC version, the console version looks like dog shit. That's how much better the PC version is. Yes really.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Oh, you haven't played it on the Wii? Ah, well, I'm sure you had fun, too.

I'm not sure I wanted to play a port on console where my experiences of quality in graphics AND fun would actually decrease. ;)

megladon8
09-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I've played it on PC and I disagree.

megladon8
09-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Please. I have the Holosynapse version of Bioshock hooked up to my 7th generation Dalefreyan quadview system. People who play the PC version think it's pretty good, but it's actually kangaroo shit compared to mine.

Man, your power level must be over 9000!

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I've played it on PC and I disagree.

There's nothing to agree or disagree with. What I am stating is a fact. You can't disagree with 1+1=2.

megladon8
09-13-2011, 02:01 PM
There's nothing to agree or disagree with. What I am stating is a fact. You can't disagree with 1+1=2.

That's really dumb.

number8
09-13-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure I wanted to play a port on console where my experiences of quality in graphics AND fun would actually decrease. ;)

Well, I'd disagree, but there's nothing really to discuss because you haven't experienced it.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Well, I'd disagree, but there's nothing really to discuss because you haven't experienced it.

Har har. My general hate for the Wii will stand for any game, hence my ;) . But have you really played it and would recommend it?

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
That's really dumb.

Dude, what's your beef with math?

bac0n
09-13-2011, 02:17 PM
RRoD #2 for me! Man I hope the next gen of XBox has better hardware than this one...

number8
09-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Har har. My general hate for the Wii will stand for any game, hence my ;) . But have you really played it and would recommend it?

Yes, it's the best version.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 02:35 PM
RRoD #2 for me! Man I hope the next gen of XBox has better hardware than this one...

Devastating. Makes me wonder about all those 2nd and 3rd sales people give Microsoft. Factor those out of the running total and how many millions less would they have sold.

megladon8
09-13-2011, 04:17 PM

I'm with 8 on "RE4" Wii - definitely the best version.

EyesWideOpen
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM

According to duke the best version is the one that looks the best.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 04:32 PM
According to duke the best version is the one that looks the best.

Don't twist my words EWO. Graphics are not everything. But graphics do, even if you don't want to admit it, have an impact on a players ability to be immersed in the universe the game is trying to create. Imagine for a second playing Bioshock on the Wii. Getting immersed in the wet, damp atmosphere would be difficult, where attention to detail was so carefully thought of and not being translated with the Wii's gpu. Whereas playing the same game on a platform with better graphics, would help this idea. This is a lot like watching horror movies at night. During the day, they just don't appear to be that scary.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM

I'd consider playing it on the Wii if it were readily available to me. I don consider RE4 to be one of the best survival horror games ever made.

Morris Schæffer
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
With console games I've always been happy to be able to play on a nicely large display. Sure, I hooked up my laptop to my LCD and played the heck out of Crisis PC, but the whole setup was a bit unwieldy. In any case, PC gaming is pretty much dead to me. I'm perfectly able to be blown away by console graphics and sharpness although there are admittedly times when I wish consoles could do full HD as standard with FSAA. That would be gaming Valhalla.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 04:36 PM
With console games I've always been happy to be able to play on a nicely large display. Sure, I hooked up my laptop to my LCD and played the heck out of Crisis PC, but the whole setup was a bit unwieldy. In any case, PC gaming is pretty much dead to me. I'm perfectly able to be blown away by console graphics and sharpness although there are admittedly times when I wish consoles could do full HD as standard with FSAA. That would be gaming Valhalla.

This is why I have a 42 inch monitor as my display. 1920 x 1080p resolution in every PC game I play. It's also why I am able to directly compare console versions to PC versions. It's so easy to switch back and forth between inputs and see the difference.

EyesWideOpen
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Don't twist my words EWO. Graphics are not everything. But graphics do, even if you don't want to admit it, have an impact on a players ability to be immersed in the universe the game is trying to create. Imagine for a second playing Bioshock on the Wii. Getting immersed in the wet, damp atmosphere would be difficult, where attention to detail was so carefully thought of and not being translated with the Wii's gpu. Whereas playing the same game on a platform with better graphics, would help this idea. This is a lot like watching horror movies at night. During the day, they just don't appear to be that scary.

How am I twisting your words by repeating exactly what you said?

megladon8
09-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I dont't care about graphics from a technical point. I like the art design.

"Bioshock's" atmosphere was immersive and effective because it was so beautifully, evocatively designed. Not because of high-res.

Plus, honestly, it was the sound that really made that game, anyways.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 05:05 PM
How am I twisting your words by repeating exactly what you said?

Really?? Like, I need to be more clear? Where exactly did I say: "best version is the one that looks the best". Really.

Thirdmango
09-13-2011, 05:43 PM
goodness duke we get it, don't troll the video game thread, we're not on 4chan. You like PCs better and many people like Consoles better. I've played fallout 3 on Xbox and on PC and I prefer the controls of the Xbox a lot more then I do of PC. Graphics might be better but I've always preferred controls over graphics.

Also the naughty underwear is an unmarked quest. You can actually give it to the dude who lives next door to the girl who wants quantum nuka cola for 300 caps.

You may have hit a bit of a snag cause some small character named Lug Nut is supposed to come up to you asking for the nightwear, but I have heard in some games he just doesn't show up.

Morris Schæffer
09-13-2011, 05:50 PM
All right guys, enough with the bickering. One might even forget that Radiant Silvergun HD comes out tomorrow for XBLA!!

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
goodness duke we get it, don't troll the video game thread, we're not on 4chan. You like PCs better and many people like Consoles better. I've played fallout 3 on Xbox and on PC and I prefer the controls of the Xbox a lot more then I do of PC. Graphics might be better but I've always preferred controls over graphics.

Also the naughty underwear is an unmarked quest. You can actually give it to the dude who lives next door to the girl who wants quantum nuka cola for 300 caps.

You may have hit a bit of a snag cause some small character named Lug Nut is supposed to come up to you asking for the nightwear, but I have heard in some games he just doesn't show up.

No he did come up to me and I was able to successfully talk him out of taking it. I've visited that guy next to the Nuka Cola chick. He wants to jump her bones. But there's no option to give it to him.

And for the record, I'm not trolling. A troll would be someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ezee E
09-13-2011, 06:09 PM
So, FIFA 12 demo is out. Anyone gonna get the real thing?

Spun Lepton
09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
And for the record, I'm not trolling. A troll would be someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

A troll is somebody who makes statements with the express purpose of angering others.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
A troll is somebody who makes statements with the express purpose of angering others.

Oh thanks! Now I know the correct definition!

[/troll]

Acapelli
09-13-2011, 06:26 PM
So, FIFA 12 demo is out. Anyone gonna get the real thing?
yep

this is probably going to be the first time i ever buy the same game in consecutive years. you know if i'll be able to import my player from fifa 11 to 12?

Ezee E
09-13-2011, 06:34 PM
yep

this is probably going to be the first time i ever buy the same game in consecutive years. you know if i'll be able to import my player from fifa 11 to 12?
Haven't heard.

Best career mode ever in any sporting franchise though. Curious what the morale system will be like.

And the online mode is as addicting as hell too.

Thirdmango
09-13-2011, 07:28 PM
No he did come up to me and I was able to successfully talk him out of taking it. I've visited that guy next to the Nuka Cola chick. He wants to jump her bones. But there's no option to give it to him.

You have to talk to him about his past and how he went and helped those guys. Then he asks you to go and find the stuff, then you can tell him you got it and give it to him. There are a bunch of those that weren't big enough to be granted it's own quest log.

megladon8
09-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Not sure how I'm feeling about "RDR".

From a story-telling point of view it's awesome, but many facets of the gameplay are less than intuitive. Even after a good 10 hours of playing, the horseback riding just doesn't feel right.

Morris Schæffer
09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Not sure how I'm feeling about "RDR".

From a story-telling point of view it's awesome, but many facets of the gameplay are less than intuitive. Even after a good 10 hours of playing, the horseback riding just doesn't feel right.

I had no issues with that at all. The somewhat repetitive, simplistic missions and the always nagging feeling that a bustling city lends itself better to the kinds of games that helped elevate Rockstar to the top echelons of game developers were more troublesome to me.

Scar
09-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Cruising in a stolen cop car w/ classical music blasting. Yep, SR2 knows what I like.

bac0n
09-13-2011, 10:25 PM
The only things that bothered me about horseback riding in RDR were that there was basically no way to slam on the brakes and just stop - at least none that I could figure out.

Spun Lepton
09-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Cruising in a stolen cop car w/ classical music blasting. Yep, SR2 knows what I like.

Recommendation: Do a ton of mini-games before going too deep into the story missions. Like, finish out the Saints missions, and then do as many mini-games as you can, then do the rest of the story missions. You get serious boons by completing mini-games, like infinite ammo for specific guns, infinite running ability, faster health regeneration, etc.

Scar
09-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Recommendation: Do a ton of mini-games before going too deep into the story missions. Like, finish out the Saints missions, and then do as many mini-games as you can, then do the rest of the story missions. You get serious boons by completing mini-games, like infinite ammo for specific guns, infinite running ability, faster health regeneration, etc.

Right now I'm getting cars for the chop shop while wearing a tux.

bac0n
09-14-2011, 03:05 AM
So, they wanna charge me 99 clams to repair their faulty XBox hardwire.

Um. No thanks. Bye XBox.

Ezee E
09-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Damn, the FIFA 12 demo is impressive in how much different it plays from last year, but still uses a similar engine.

The fluidity of it all, the improved A.I., and defense (even of your own team) is all the more impressive. The throw-ins are quicker instead of cutting away and having everyone change positions... Damn, I can't wait now.

Dukefrukem
09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
You have to talk to him about his past and how he went and helped those guys. Then he asks you to go and find the stuff, then you can tell him you got it and give it to him. There are a bunch of those that weren't big enough to be granted it's own quest log.

Okay, he did tell me to give the Quantum Nuka Cola to him and not her, but the chick was gonna give me schematics for the bottles. So I can only complete the underwear quest if I give the shit to him?

megladon8
09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
So, they wanna charge me 99 clams to repair their faulty XBox hardwire.

Um. No thanks. Bye XBox.

Whaaaaaat? Why?

I've had the RROD 4 times and every one they repaired for free.

bac0n
09-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Whaaaaaat? Why?

I've had the RROD 4 times and every one they repaired for free.

Do you have some sort of maintenance plan? Because all I had was the warranty which expired at the end of 2009. And when I got to the MS Support site for the XBox (https://myservice.xbox.com/en-us/Pages/Welcome.aspx), they wanna charge me 99 bucks for fixing the fucking thing. That's only 50 bucks less than buying an entirely new one!

Spun Lepton
09-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Okay, he did tell me to give the Quantum Nuka Cola to him and not her, but the chick was gonna give me schematics for the bottles. So I can only complete the underwear quest if I give the shit to him?

Duke, go to Google and search for "fallout 3 wiki." Immensely helpful.

I'd link straight to the site, but I'm at work, and gaming sites are blocked.

Thirdmango
09-14-2011, 04:09 PM
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Grady%27s_Package

Looking at it maybe you have to give to him after you give the nuka cola to him or her. I know you don't have to give to him to get the money. Nor would I recommend it.

Morris Schæffer
09-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Max Payne 3 trailer

bdnvc32YGpE

!!

Could be awesome, but its noirish aspect still seems heavily curtailed thanks to the switch to sunny Sao Paolo.

Dukefrukem
09-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Duke, go to Google and search for "fallout 3 wiki." Immensely helpful.

I'd link straight to the site, but I'm at work, and gaming sites are blocked.

Did you just tell me to google something :P Thanks the for link. This site is awesome.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Grady%27s_Package

Looking at it maybe you have to give to him after you give the nuka cola to him or her. I know you don't have to give to him to get the money. Nor would I recommend it.

Should I give it to him, then kill him, steal it back and then sell it back to the chick? :evil:

Dukefrukem
09-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Max Payne 3 trailer

bdnvc32YGpE

!!

Could be awesome, but its noirish aspect still seems heavily curtailed thanks to the switch to sunny Sao Paolo.

Hey! They explained why he's bald! I'm gonna play this.

megladon8
09-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Do you have some sort of maintenance plan? Because all I had was the warranty which expired at the end of 2009. And when I got to the MS Support site for the XBox (https://myservice.xbox.com/en-us/Pages/Welcome.aspx), they wanna charge me 99 bucks for fixing the fucking thing. That's only 50 bucks less than buying an entirely new one!

No, no plan or anything. I just told them I has the RROD and they UPS'd me a box to send them my system, they fixed it and sent it back. All on their dime.

Spun Lepton
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Did you just tell me to google something :P

So?

Dukefrukem
09-14-2011, 05:30 PM
So?

You must have missed it a few weeks back. :D

Spun Lepton
09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
You must have missed it a few weeks back. :D

Again, no straight answer. Whatever.

Dukefrukem
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Again, no straight answer. Whatever.

I was a dick when someone told me "google something" a few weeks ago. I snapped. Sorry if I didn't want to mention it again.

Morris Schæffer
09-14-2011, 05:58 PM
So I bought Radiant Silvergun HD. Anyone else gonna get it? Anyhow, off to try it out. Laterz

Morris Schæffer
09-14-2011, 06:18 PM
So I bought Radiant Silvergun HD. Anyone else gonna get it? Anyhow, off to try it out. Laterz

Predictably, I'm not getting it. What I mean to say is, I know this game is heralded for its deceptive depth pertaining to its chaining system and I'm sure that's where its real pleasures lie. I haven't reached that point yet.

Fezzik
09-14-2011, 07:38 PM
I bought Madden 12 today. It's the first console game I've purchased in about 4 years.

(Other than Rock Band)

Skitch
09-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Max Payne 3 trailer

Just hearing that music makes me want to replay the series again. :)

Dukefrukem
09-15-2011, 12:55 PM
:( My father just "died" In Fallout 3

Fezzik
09-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I bought Madden 12 today. It's the first console game I've purchased in about 4 years.

(Other than Rock Band)

I really, REALLY hope the game store lets me exchange Madden. It's fun, I guess, but the Superstar Mode is awful.

First of all, its boring. There's nothing to it. You create a player, distribute stat points, choose your traits (there's one called "Drop open passes" - seriously, would ANYONE select "yes" for that?) and then you're drafted.

No combine, no scouting, nothing. Just hey! you were drafted in the Xth round by this team!

And after that, its game/practice/game etc which is how you earn points to improve your character.

The problem is each practice is 10 reps. That's it. And in some, you don't get any touches at all.

Worse yet, in Superstar mode, there is the "Coordinator commentary," which is where your OC/DC 'talks' to you via helmet mic to explain your assignment on the play.

It's ok at first, but after about 6 plays he starts repeating himself..over...and over...and over...and while it is on, the usual play by play commentary is turned off.

So, Fezzik, you say, why don't you just turn it off. Ah friends, if only it were that simple. In Superstar mode, you cannot turn it off. It even says so in the options.

Adding to the frustration is that you get points for every play you're on the field. If something bad happens, you may get negative points even if you were not involved. Yesterday, I had my guy on a screen route. The QB threw it to the tight end. He fumbled it. I lost points. Sooo frustrating.

The Road to Glory mode in NCAA was so much better its not even funny.

I'm just hoping the game store lets me exchange it for NCAA.

Dukefrukem
09-15-2011, 01:54 PM
FFXIII-2 release date set for Jan, 31st .... awesome.

Ezee E
09-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, the Superstar mode in Madden is awful. But it at least led to far better Superstar modes in FIFA, NBA 2K, and MLB The Show.

Kurosawa Fan
09-15-2011, 05:46 PM
I think Madden as a franchise is pretty terrible. They've made that game far more complicated than it needs to be. NCAA is such a better product.

Fezzik
09-15-2011, 06:11 PM
I think Madden as a franchise is pretty terrible. They've made that game far more complicated than it needs to be. NCAA is such a better product.

I had NCAA in my hand. The only reason I went to Madden was because the Superstar Mode could be played for more years with a single player.

I'm glad the store is taking it back and letting me exchange it. I would've been pretty incensed otherwise. I don't buy games for my console very often.

Ezee E
09-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Complicated how?

Dukefrukem
09-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Played Dead Island last night.

Talk about complicated games? Dead Island takes the cake. Over-complicating something so simple... "killing zombies". That's not say I didn't enjoy the 30 minutes I played it, far too little time to draw a reasonable conclusion.

Acapelli
09-16-2011, 04:11 PM
i am not nearly as good at fifa 12 as i was at fifa 11

i wasn't even that good at fifa 11

still fun though

Thirdmango
09-16-2011, 04:20 PM
There's a rockstar games sale on xbox for dlcs. I got all 3 red dead redemption packs for 1000 points. Gonna try them out today.

Ezee E
09-16-2011, 04:52 PM
i am not nearly as good at fifa 12 as i was at fifa 11

i wasn't even that good at fifa 11

still fun though
Yeah. It's pretty damn hard from the one game I tried. You can't just through ball it and hope the sprinter is faster then the defender now.

Acapelli
09-16-2011, 04:53 PM
you definitely have to be much more precise in your passing

Ezee E
09-16-2011, 05:00 PM
you definitely have to be much more precise in your passing
Which I like. Only thing I hope this doesn't mean is that it makes teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid impossible to beat.

Acapelli
09-16-2011, 05:38 PM
defending's harder too, but i think all these things are a positive

Fezzik
09-16-2011, 05:51 PM
NCAA is so much better than Madden its not even funny. The Road to Glory Mode is really engaging. So much so, in fact that it caused me to curse out my QB.

I made a player and decided to go to Michigan (go Blue!). I fought my way up the depth chart. My first start? Against Michigan State IN East Lansing.

Aww yeah. We're down 21-20 with less than 2:00 to play and we have the ball at the 35. Two running plays later, we're at the 15. I'm like "Ok, all we need is to hold onto the ball here and kick the FG...Upset, baby!"

The next play, the QB fumbled the ball during a designed draw and we lost the game.

my reaction (paraphrased): "Son of a BITCH! DAMMIT, DENARD!"

(No, his name in the game isn't Denard Robinson since they cant use the players' real names, but the number is the same).

Now, anytime the offense screws up (even if Im not on the field), my exclamation is "Denaaaaard!" just because it gave my roommate giggles the first time I did it.

EyesWideOpen
09-16-2011, 07:07 PM
There's a rockstar games sale on xbox for dlcs. I got all 3 red dead redemption packs for 1000 points. Gonna try them out today.

Just a heads up if you don't play multiplayer undead nightmare is the only pack with single player content.

Lasse
09-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey guys, my girlfriend and myself consider buying a used SNES console. But in the meantime, any good advise on how to emulate some SNES games on the PC? :)

megladon8
09-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, my girlfriend and myself consider buying a used SNES console. But in the meantime, any good advise on how to emulate some SNES games on the PC? :)

There's an emulator I used to use lots called ZSNES.

Try a Google search for that. Should yield lots of results.

Morris Schæffer
09-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah, ZSnes is pretty good.

In other news, Daytona USA may return on Xbox 360 or XBLA!

http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/3ee9cf339ddee09eca2575ca000be1 e3/99042a5f47346853ca25790c005d69 4a?OpenDocument

I'd settle for an arcade perfect port with online play for 40 players.

Morris Schæffer
09-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Deadshot to appear in Arkham City

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/119/1194783/deadshot_530x298_1316201649.jp g

Thirdmango
09-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Just a heads up if you don't play multiplayer undead nightmare is the only pack with single player content.

Yeah I know, Multiplayer was actually the stuff I was most interested in.

EyesWideOpen
09-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah I know, Multiplayer was actually the stuff I was most interested in.

Cool. Just didn't want you to be disappointed with the lack of story content.

Morris Schæffer
09-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Deus ex: human revolution is pretty great and I ain't even that far. Just breaking into folks apartments, seeing what it might yield.

Spinal
09-17-2011, 05:46 PM
5tCEXEuICWs

Qrazy
09-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I guess that's kind of cool but so utterly useless. I mean you can't even wear it as a costume.

KK2.0
09-18-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm so happy that Level 5 confirmed that their Studio Ghibli collaboration game will be localized in the west early next year. ^^

Pmk--fobkaI

EyesWideOpen
09-18-2011, 05:58 AM
I made it through about an hour and a half of Catherine before I had enough. I was not willing to play through anymore frustrating block puzzles to get to the actual stuff I was interested in the game for.

Ezee E
09-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Might be reason for me to get the PS3

Spinal
09-18-2011, 06:50 AM
I guess that's kind of cool but so utterly useless. I mean you can't even wear it as a costume.

Yep. Utterly impressive but also completely pointless.

Morris Schæffer
09-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Deus ex: human revolution is pretty great and I ain't even that far. Just breaking into folks apartments, seeing what it might yield.

After GTA IV, a great game, but with millions of unopenable doors, playing Deus Ex: HR, stumbling into an alleyway and finding doors that do open is incredibly exciting, liberating. I feel like Captain Picard who exclaims "lets see whats out there."

And I just found my penthouse apartment. It just screams Blade Runner what with the blinds that open and a sort of sunlight filters through. Sooooo atmopsheric!

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 12:50 PM

There’s a huge problem with that aspect of the game. I broke into every apt i could find. One time I broke into a place, and used it to store all the people I knocked out... turns out later in the game, I had a quest that brought me back to that Apt to talk to someone. When I came back to do the quest several hours later, the huge pile of bodies was still in the apt and the woman I had to talk to was walking around like they were invisible. It really took me out of the game. Duex Ex was fun, but it was 1) too short and 2) a little broken in this aspect. This happened several other times in different circumstances.

Morris Schæffer
09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Can be Duke, but I usually can forgive certain glitches when the ambition is clearly evident. But, ahem too short?! Of course, you can know, but i'm stunned that a person that broke into every apt can still find the game too short? Unless your standard is 25-30 hours of course.

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Can be Duke, but I usually can forgive certain glitches when the ambition is clearly evident. But, ahem too short?! Of course, you can know, but i'm stunned that a person that broke into every apt can still find the game too short? Unless your standard is 25-30 hours of course.

I have 21 hours logged on my Xfire and that started 5 days after release day (because Xfire always lags behind). So add a min of 5 hours onto that and that was around my total playing time. I was expecting Mass Effect numbers. 30-50 hours.

Also, would you not agree with me the character models were terrible? They used one female form for the entire game. Breasts were totally disproportioned.

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Mass Effect, all said and done was low 30 hours for me.

Fallout 3 though, that was beyond 40.

number8
09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Ha. Starting next month, DC Universe Online will be free to download and play on PC and PS3.

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Ha. Starting next month, DC Universe Online will be free to download and play on PC and PS3.
Ha. Suckers.

Fezzik
09-19-2011, 06:59 PM

oooh, cool.

I played the beta thanks to some invites. I liked the game alot, just didnt want to pay a monthly fee for it.

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Mass Effect, all said and done was low 30 hours for me.

Fallout 3 though, that was beyond 40.

I'm REALLY enjoying Fallout 3 right now. Can't put it down. I just got Fawkes as my bodyguard.

Can he die?? Or can he be healed?
Already 37 hours deep.

Scar
09-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I believe he can be healed, and I'm pretty sure he can die, just not as easily as, sniff, Dogmeat, sniff.

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
All of them can die. Only Dogmeat did for me during an unexpected clash with some raiders.. :(

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Which expansion is Dogmeat in? Or is he in the main game? I haven't seen him yet.

Is it possible to have 2 bodyguards?

Scar
09-19-2011, 07:51 PM

It will be a limited version.

Scar
09-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Which expansion is Dogmeat in? Or is he in the main game? I haven't seen him yet.

Is it possible to have 2 bodyguards?

He's in the main game. I know in Vegas you can have two companions, but I forget in 3.

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Just like LotR Online.

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 08:00 PM
He's in the main game. I know in Vegas you can have two companions, but I forget in 3.
I swore you could have two. But I might be thinking of New Vegas.

He's in a strange area if I remember right. A camping ground I think.

Spun Lepton
09-19-2011, 08:15 PM

A limited version of a crappy game.

What fun.

Spun Lepton
09-19-2011, 08:16 PM
I swore you could have two. But I might be thinking of New Vegas.

You're thinking of New Vegas.

number8
09-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Well, I prefer to think of it as an expansion pack to my Wasn't Gonna Buy It Edition.

number8
09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
This commercial is crazy as a whole, but I was understanding it fine until the final 30 seconds.

XYqS4lHZqI8

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow you can get 8 Followers. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_companions

A bunch are only available in the expansions tho.

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
This commercial is crazy as a whole, but I was understanding it fine until the final 30 seconds.

XYqS4lHZqI8

:lol::lol:

The 80s was great.

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Wow you can get 8 Followers. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_companions

A bunch are only available in the expansions tho.
Well yeah, but only one can follow you at a time. You leave the other one behind.

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Well yeah, but only one can follow you at a time. You leave the other one behind.

Per that link.

The player can have up to two companions in their party which consists of Dogmeat plus any one other companion, barring certain companion exploits.

Morris Schæffer
09-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Also, would you not agree with me the character models were terrible? They used one female form for the entire game. Breasts were totally disproportioned.

I haven't really noticed duke. Just glad streets are so crowded.

megladon8
09-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Duke has some of the strangest criticisms with games he doesn't like.

Winston*
09-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Never think games are too short these days. Often think they're too long.

Fezzik
09-20-2011, 12:52 AM
re: NCAA

still in freshman year. Just played Ohio State. Suck it Buckeyes! Go Blue! Rose Bowl bound :D

(I'm easily amused)

Dukefrukem
09-20-2011, 01:52 AM
I guess I have expectations that are rarely met.

megladon8
09-20-2011, 05:32 AM
No, you just nitpick the weirdest things at random. Stuff that gets a pass in any other game, you list as a flaw in a game you don't like.

Disproportionate breasts in a video game? My God, the audacity of "Deus Ex"!

Morris Schæffer
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Never think games are too short these days. Often think they're too long.

Same here although I don't necessarily think they're too long, just that I prefer them to be too short rather than too long. So many games, so little time.

Funny, I dinstinctly recall Duke complaining some time ago about having too many unplayed games lying around. He sounded even a little desperate at the time. :D

Dukefrukem
09-20-2011, 01:37 PM
No, you just nitpick the weirdest things at random. Stuff that gets a pass in any other game, you list as a flaw in a game you don't like.

Disproportionate breasts in a video game? My God, the audacity of "Deus Ex"!

Well for you Meg I'll post specific picture examples when I get home. It wasn't just the breasts- it was the fact they used 1 female character model for every female character in the whole game. And the obvious way they did this was depicted in the breasts.

Like 70 year old office secretaries who have double D breasts which are not in the correct place. Homeless women who are wearing rags but their breasts are the same size and shape. Police offers with the same model.

It’s distracting when a game is developed with so little attention to detail. (not by the breast, but how distractingly lazy the developers were)

Dukefrukem
09-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Same here although I don't necessarily think they're too long, just that I prefer them to be too short rather than too long. So many games, so little time.

Funny, I dinstinctly recall Duke complaining some time ago about having too many unplayed games lying around. He sounded even a little desperate at the time. :D

Yeh I still do. My backlog sucks, but I try to get everything. Fallout 3 is sucking all my gameplay time right now.

I found Dogmeat yesterday!

Spun Lepton
09-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Finished Saints Row 2 last night. Good fun. Two of the final missions are helicopter missions. God, I hate helicopter missions. Well, actually, they were tolerable after I disabled motion control.

Downloaded an expansion pack featuring Tera Patrick. Her character model is ... unfortunate. :lol: And she can't voice act to save her life, not that I expected any different.

Looking forward to 3.

megladon8
09-20-2011, 05:49 PM
If you want quality Tera Patrick voice acting, you have to check out her episode of "Aqua Teen Hunger Force", where about 90% of her "work" consists of the sounds of her fellating a corn dog.

Spun Lepton
09-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I think my next two purchases will be Dead Island and Deus Ex. Just to spite Duke. :D

Dukefrukem
09-20-2011, 06:26 PM
I think my next two purchases will be Dead Island and Deus Ex. Just to spite Duke. :D

I have no problem with you buying them. Hell I did. Liking them? That's another story.

number8
09-20-2011, 06:34 PM
If you get Assassin's Creed Revelations on PS3, one of the bonus features on the disc is the entire first game.

They had leftover space on the Blu-ray disc.

Dukefrukem
09-20-2011, 06:45 PM
If you get Assassin's Creed Revelations on PS3, one of the bonus features on the disc is the entire first game.

They had leftover space on the Blu-ray disc.

You're gonna see this is a lot with PS3 games. There was already 3 or 4 of these announced.

Spun Lepton
09-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I have no problem with you buying them. Hell I did. Liking them? That's another story.

http://www.ragemaker.net/images/Stupidity/seriouslyChan.png

Spun Lepton
09-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Let me ask, as my co-worker and I are arguing about this.

The new Deus Ex allows you to play stealthy or tank-y, however you prefer, correct? Or is it only stealth?

I can look it up when I get home, but at work those kinds of sites are blocked.

Dukefrukem
09-20-2011, 08:00 PM
If you really wanted to you could tank your way through it but the game is designed for stealth. If you set off alarms everywhere you'll level up very slowly. You get perks for not setting off alarms and not killing people.

But from the start of the game, you are asked whether you want a tranquilizer dart gun or a real gun. In short, no, it's not only stealth.

Spun Lepton
09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Maybe I'll pass on Deus Ex, then. Not a big fan of stealth.

Morris Schæffer
09-20-2011, 09:06 PM

He just said both approaches are possible. I cleared an entire area by shooting the baddies. Still, I think the stealth aspect works nicely. Great controls, lots of entry points.

One more thing, hacking terminals can be fucking tough, but I'm not yet very experienced when it comes to capturing nodes and the like. Just took me 12 attempts to hack one, but no luck. Arghh, I wanna know what's behind the door!!! :D

Spun Lepton
09-20-2011, 09:43 PM
He just said both approaches are possible.

You get perks for not setting off alarms and not killing people.

Encourages stealth, discourages tank. Interest lost.

megladon8
09-21-2011, 01:23 AM

Gameplay, shameplay.

Disprortionate breasts and human sized vent shafts are what kill the game.

Thirdmango
09-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Encourages stealth, discourages tank. Interest lost.

Encourages stealth, discourages tank. Interest gained.

Morris Schæffer
09-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Good news for Shadow Complex fans. Cliff Blezinski has stated the sequel is nearly completed, but ahem, is looking for an extraneous developer to put the final touches to it since original developer Chair Entertainment has been reassigned on Infinity Blade.

Dukefrukem
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Gameplay, shameplay.

Disprortionate breasts and human sized vent shafts are what kill the game.

Keep mocking me.

megladon8
09-21-2011, 04:56 PM
So I'm really getting into "Red Dead Redemption" now. Still have serious issues with some of the controls, as well as some game-crashing glitches i have run into. But I feel that addictive sense of wonder at the world, just like the best of the "GTA" games - I can spend hours and hours just roaming around, accomplishing pretty much nothing.

Typical of Rockstar games, you are constantly encountering even the most minor of characters that you wish you could see more of. The dialogue and voice acting is all top notch.

Really digging it. I guess I won't be picking up "Gears 3" right away!

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2011, 12:09 PM
A few things:

* Forza 4's autovista mode - where one can gawk at, and step into, gorgeously modelled cars while listening to Jeremy Clarkson - is apparently limited to 25 top-of-the-line automobiles, although it includes Halo's Warthog (!) and Jay Leno's 1931 Bentley 8 Liter Sedan (!!). Still, only 25 cars. Bummer as autovista, with Kinect, looks jawdropping

* IoS game Hard Lines continues to thrill me no end on the Ipad. As one kills more lines and racks up more multipliers, my own lines becomes longer (snake-like) and gains considerably in speed. It's a colossal rush to stay alive and try to break one's high score.

Spun Lepton
09-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm sick today. Like, fever, pukey, shivering sick. I'm still tempted to run over to Gameslop and pick up Dead Island.

Scar
09-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Things I've learned in Dead Space 2 so far:

If a baby is crawling towards you, shoot it.

If something's bloated, it'll blow up.

When the game asks you to set the brightness scale so you can barely see the logo, you might want to raise the brightness scale a couple extra points.

Ezee E
09-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Things I've learned in Dead Space 2 so far:

If a baby is crawling towards you, shoot it.

If something's bloated, it'll blow up.

When the game asks you to set the brightness scale so you can barely see the logo, you might want to raise the brightness scale a couple extra points.
I do that on brightness for every game pretty much.

megladon8
09-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I need a few notches above the "suggested" brightness as well.

I don't know if they aren't calibrated properly for TV's or something (perhaps they retain the brightness levels meant for a computer monitor?) but I know with "The Darkness", I had to have it a good 20% above the suggested level, and even then I found myself squinting in some of the darker areas.

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey Duke, don't get Goldeneye Reloaded. It's a veritable smorgasbord of air vents during stealth sections! :D

Morris Schæffer
09-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Finally gotten to China in deus ex HR. Yeah, i'm taking my sweet time, but god what a brilliantly alive, visually striking metropolis. I can follow the radar, but that would feel like a waste when one can just get lost and explore. Duke, gonna sound like a broken record, but when one is shown such a spectacle, air vents are but the tiniest of footnotes. I'm off explorin' homes.:)

EyesWideOpen
09-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Everyone on my friends list is playing Gears of War 3 and I'm playing CSI: Fatal Conspiracy.

Skitch
09-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Three episodes into Alan Wake...I LIKE.

Skitch
09-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Count me among those that turn brightness a few notches above recommended. My living room has windows and lights, I'm not sitting in a pitch black abyss that allows to show off my excellent tele's difference between absolute black and very black.

Spun Lepton
09-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Well, I grabbed Dead Island. It's like somebody invaded my dreams and made the perfect game for me. There are some similarities to Left 4 Dead, I guess. You have 4-player online co-op, and you're running from point A to point B through zombies. Although, it's generally not mobs of them.

I played this sucker for hours last night. At least 5 or 6. And so far, I've only seen one handgun. With one bullet. All the other weapons are melee. Boat oars, planks of wood, baseball bats, meat cleavers, machetes, kitchen knives. All kinds of stuff.

Like Fallout, you have to repair your weapons. If you use a weapon until it breaks, you drop it for good. You can also upgrade weapons and modify them into new ones. For example, I pounded a bunch of nails into a baseball bat. (Although you need blueprints for each mod, but who needs blueprints to pound nails through a bat? Whatever. It's still insanely fun.)

So far, the overwhelming majority of zombies I've encountered were the staggering, lurching kind, called Walkers in the game. What's funny, is I'd see one and think, "No problem." Then, as I moved closer, I'd see four more scattered nearby and think, "Big fucking problem." In the last few hours, I started encountering more runners. They scream when they see you, and it's usually *just within earshot, so if you're battling say, three walkers when a runner sees you and you don't hear the scream -- holy shit. One managed to sneak up on me in the jungle and I actually screamed.

Something that never gets old is using a bladed weapon to lop off both of a Walker's arms and letting them chase me for a bit. Hilarious when they lunge to bite you.

There are a bunch of really minor bugs. And then I had a major one. I was battling a slow tank-like zombie, they're called Thugs. I was in a dark garage, using my flashlight to see the fucking thing. I ran around a truck to avoid it, and a Walker was right there. It killed me.

I respawned on the other side of the map and lost of a bunch of my best weapons. I was pissed.

Still, it's not enough to ruin the game. It's a ridiculous amount of fun.

EDIT -- Well, that was written like shit, but I don't care. Back to slicing up zombies!

megladon8
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Ugh...I caved in and got "Gears of War 3".

Gonna marathon it tonight, hopefully.

bac0n
09-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Spun - tell me, what's the atmosphere like on that game? That was one of L4D's main strengths, and I'm gonna need to something to fill that void now that I'm off the XBox.

megladon8
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Spun - tell me, what's the atmosphere like on that game? That was one of L4D's main strengths, and I'm gonna need to something to fill that void now that I'm off the XBox.

:sad:

bac0n
09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
:sad:

Sorry man. Not up for paying 99 bucks just for it to RRoD for me again a year or two down the road.

Dukefrukem
09-26-2011, 01:24 PM

It's the same as L4D without the piano music and brighter more exocit locations. Zombies are roaming around until you are spotted and then you are the main target for all zombies in the area. It does very little that L4D already does, unless your fix is RPGs.

megladon8
09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Sorry man. Not up for paying 99 bucks just for it to RRoD for me again a year or two down the road.

No worries. I can't play online anymore anyways because of where I live.

Maybe by the time I move back into town I'll have a PS3!

Spun Lepton
09-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Describe L4D's atmosphere for me.

bac0n
09-26-2011, 03:08 PM
It's the same as L4D without the piano music and brighter more exocit locations. Zombies are roaming around until you are spotted and then you are the main target for all zombies in the area. It does very little that L4D already does, unless your fix is RPGs.

Well, it does online 4-player coop, which means me want want want. now, if someone tells me one of the weapons is a cast iron frying pan then I am out the door to buy the game stat.

Spun Lepton
09-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Not true. Numerous times I'll battle one or two zombies, while other zombies in the area remain oblivious.

Dukefrukem
09-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Not true. One of my strategies was to get the attention of one or two zombies and lead them away from groups, with some success.

Yeh that's kinda lame. What L4D does to avoid this is add in the AI Director which can tell if you're taking your sweet as time getting from Point A to B. L4D forces to you hurry the fuck up. Which is how it should be in a zombie apocalypse.

bac0n
09-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Describe L4D's atmosphere for me.

Sure I will. Just as soon as soon as you tell me whether or not Dead Island has a Goddamn Cast Iron Motherfucking Frying pan.

megladon8
09-26-2011, 05:13 PM
I prefer the sounds of Spun's "lead a couple away from the horde" strategy to the clusterfuck that "L4D" frequently turned in to.

I like "L4D" and all, but it's so limited in so many ways. I always felt like Valve only scraped the surface.

Spun Lepton
09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeh that's kinda lame. What L4D does to avoid this is add in the AI Director which can tell if you're taking your sweet as time getting from Point A to B. L4D forces to you hurry the fuck up. Which is how it should be in a zombie apocalypse.

So, Dead Island's problem is it's not as fast-paced at L4D. Got it.

Earlier, weren't you complaining Dead Island was too much like L4D?

Spun Lepton
09-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Sure I will. Just as soon as soon as you tell me whether or not Dead Island has a Goddamn Cast Iron Motherfucking Frying pan.

Well, I may not have seen all the weapons, yet, but I would venture to say no.

Dukefrukem
09-26-2011, 07:06 PM
So, Dead Island's problem is it's not as fast-paced at L4D. Got it.

Earlier, weren't you complaining Dead Island was too much like L4D?

Yes and it still is.

Spun Lepton
09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Yes and it still is.

So, Dead Island's problem is it's too much like L4D in some respects and not enough like L4D in others. In other words, Dead Island's problem is it's not L4D.

I'm done with this conversation.

Dukefrukem
09-26-2011, 07:30 PM
So, Dead Island's problem is it's too much like L4D in some respects and not enough like L4D in others. In other words, Dead Island's problem is it's not L4D.

I'm done with this conversation.

It's a poor attempt at a copy-cat. What don't you get? That's typically what happens in copy-cat games. Ideas are stolen, they’re tried to make intuitive and fun and fail because the other game does it better.

Spun Lepton
09-26-2011, 07:39 PM
It's a poor attempt at a copy-cat. What don't you get? That's typically what happens in copy-cat games. Ideas are stolen, they’re tried to make intuitive and fun and fail because the other game does it better.

Duke Nukem was a poor copy-cat of Doom.

Ezee E
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Can you play Dead Island as a one-player and still have a good time with it? Or does it have to be online as a team?

Spun Lepton
09-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Can you play Dead Island as a one-player and still have a good time with it? Or does it have to be online as a team?

You can play single player. I did it for 6 hours. It was a blast.

Fezzik
09-26-2011, 08:16 PM

But it had sex jokes! Innovation!

bac0n
09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Well, I may not have seen all the weapons, yet, but I would venture to say no.

Well that's a drag. Are there any other melee weapons that make a nice loud noise when they connect with a zombie head? like a guitar for example?

Spun Lepton
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Well that's a drag. Are there any other melee weapons that make a nice loud noise when they connect with a zombie head? like a guitar for example?

So far it's been 99% melee weapons. Boat oars, shovels, baseball bats, machetes, cleavers, knives, umm ... planks of wood. Nothing really comical stands out. They've been playing it pretty serious so far.

Scar
09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
So, if bac0n gets this, and Spun has this, and I end up getting this, does this mean we get to kill zombies together?

Morris Schæffer
09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
According to Wats, I've been posting useless shit since 2007, but from yours truly, here's a cool scoop! :D

Dead Space 3 will be set on the fridig, wintery planes of Tau Volantis. Isaac Clarke crash lands here, meets a dying man who informs him there are more survivors, scattered to and fro. Ellie will return as well and enemies are referred as "The Hive Mind."

Dukefrukem
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM

:rolleyes:

Dukefrukem
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM

I'ts boring as fuck.

Dukefrukem
09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
According to Wats, I've been posting useless shit since 2007, but from yours truly, here's a cool scoop! :D

Dead Space 3 will be set on the fridig, wintery planes of Tau Volantis. Isaac Clarke crash lands here, meets a dying man who informs him there are more survivors, scattered to and fro. Ellie will return as well and enemies are referred as "The Hive Mind."

:frustrated:

Spun Lepton
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
So, if bac0n gets this, and Spun has this, and I end up getting this, does this mean we get to kill zombies together?

It does.

Spun Lepton
09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
I'ts boring as fuck.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dukefrukem
09-27-2011, 04:16 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As are ALL games built for co-op. That includes L4D, L4D2, Borderlands. Pointless to play single player.

Spun Lepton
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
As are ALL games built for co-op. That includes L4D, L4D2, Borderlands. Pointless to play single player.

Dead Island doesn't need to be played co-op. I've played Borderlands, and it's not the same.

Dukefrukem
09-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Dead Island doesn't need to be played co-op. I've played Borderlands, and it's not the same.

doesn't need to be played co-op or doesn't need to be played co-op to be fun? Because I agree with post above. ;)

Spun Lepton
09-27-2011, 04:58 PM
doesn't need to be played co-op or doesn't need to be played co-op to be fun? Because I agree with post above. ;)

I played for 6 hours on single-player and had a blast.

megladon8
09-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I think it can be agreed upon that Duke stands alone with many views on games.

Ezee E
09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
This is on Redbox. May rent it and give it a shot.

If Meg, bac0n, and Scar all get it... I'm definitely in for a session.

megladon8
09-27-2011, 05:35 PM

I don't have a PS3, I'd be getting it for 360.

Spun Lepton
09-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Redbox rents games??!

Eazy -- PM me your PS3 handle.

Scar
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Spun-

I was checking reviews online for Dead Island, and some people were talking about an autosave bug or the game deleting your save file? Has this happened to you?

bac0n
09-27-2011, 09:44 PM

I'd totally be down with that too.

Ezee E
09-27-2011, 10:15 PM
But I have X-Box 360 only as well. :(

Skitch
09-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I dislike mulitplayer themed games as well. I bought Left 4 Dead, beat the campaign in an hour, and was like "what the fuck?" Returned it. Didn't realize it was so multiplayer themed. Not for me.

Spun Lepton
09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Spun-

I was checking reviews online for Dead Island, and some people were talking about an autosave bug or the game deleting your save file? Has this happened to you?

No, but I've heard the same thing,

Ezee E
09-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I dislike mulitplayer themed games as well. I bought Left 4 Dead, beat the campaign in an hour, and was like "what the fuck?" Returned it. Didn't realize it was so multiplayer themed. Not for me.
Yeah, Left 4 Dead is definitely pretty fun, but the sequel is just more of the same. Couldn't get into that one.

I'm guessing Dead Island is going to be along those lines. Certainly not worth a purchase.

EyesWideOpen
09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
The Left 4 Dead series is far different than Borderlands or Dead Island. L4D's single player consists of you playing the multiplayer maps by your self with computer controlled teammates. Those games suck playing single player. Borderlands and Dead Island are huge sandbox games which you can play single player or multiplayer. I've put over 100 hours into Borderlands and I've played all of that time in single player by myself and I loved it.

Spun Lepton
09-27-2011, 11:27 PM
The Left 4 Dead series is far different than Borderlands or Dead Island. L4D's single player consists of you playing the multiplayer maps by your self with computer controlled teammates. Those games suck playing single player. Borderlands and Dead Island are huge sandbox games which you can play single player or multiplayer. I've put over 100 hours into Borderlands and I've played all of that time in single player by myself and I loved it.

Borderlands was not much fun alone. At least, I didn't think so. I could play Dead Island alone, no problem. (I'm certainly open to co-op, though.)

Or maybe I'm just biased toward zombies.

Ezee E
09-27-2011, 11:39 PM
What is there to do in the 1P world if you're not killing zombies though?

bac0n
09-28-2011, 01:03 AM

who cares?

EyesWideOpen
09-28-2011, 01:14 AM

It has a storyline and quests not unlike any other sandbox game. The Left 4 Dead games do not. You can play through all of L4D on single player in a couple of hours. That's not the point of that series. Dead Island takes 25-30 hours to finish. It's not a bite sized chunk game like the L4D series.

Ezee E
09-28-2011, 01:40 AM
So what is the storyline? What is it that you can do? I've read through a few reviews and people's thoughts, and nothing...

Scar
09-28-2011, 01:57 AM
I'm kind of on the fence until the multiplayer save glitch is fixed. I'll at least sleep on it.

megladon8
09-28-2011, 03:04 AM
So what is the storyline? What is it that you can do? I've read through a few reviews and people's thoughts, and nothing...

From what I understand it plays like "Fallout 3".

So, quests, loot and lots of exploration.

"Gears of War 3" is pretty impressive so far. Nearly done the first act (of 5). Definitely the most story and character driven of the three games. There was actually a moment where Cole Train remembers his glory days as a pro athlete that was kind of saddening.

Morris Schæffer
09-28-2011, 05:23 AM
"Gears of War 3" is pretty impressive so far. Nearly done the first act (of 5). Definitely the most story and character driven of the three games. There was actually a moment where Cole Train remembers his glory days as a pro athlete that was kind of saddening.

But the real question is, are the graphics colorful enough for ya? :D

megladon8
09-28-2011, 06:34 AM
But the real question is, are the graphics colorful enough for ya? :D

Actually, this one is surprisingly nice to look at. It's the best looking game in the trilogy from both a technical and artistic standpoint.

Morris Schæffer
09-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Actually, this one is surprisingly nice to look at. It's the best looking game in the trilogy from both a technical and artistic standpoint.

Allrighty!:) Can't wait to start playing it myself, but it's so easy to get sidetracked in Deus Ex: HR.

Spun Lepton
09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm kind of on the fence until the multiplayer save glitch is fixed. I'll at least sleep on it.

Honestly, I think if it happens to me, I won't have a problem restarting. Killing zombies never gets old for me.

megladon8
09-28-2011, 06:30 PM
So I've broken one of my big rules (only play one game at a time) and I've got three on the go, but I'm really digging all 3.

I picked up "Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine" yesterday and I played some last night.

It's got serious flaws, particularly with its pacing (cut scene, walk 10 steps, cut scene for 30 seconds, fight 3 bad guys, cut scene, walk 10 steps, cut scene) but man oh man is the gameplay fun.

You're just dealing out two-fisted death to monsters in brutal, oh-so-satisfying ways. It's like someone took "God of War" and "Gears of War" and mashed them together.

Great fun.

megladon8
09-28-2011, 07:45 PM
I hate how true this is...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4310/28vbk.jpg

Dukefrukem
09-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeh I don't buy DLC. Unless it comes with the GOTY edition.

megladon8
09-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeh I don't buy DLC. Unless it comes with the GOTY edition.

Yup. It's a big reason why I almost want to boycott "Batman: Arkham City". It's totally shameless.

I didn't buy "Borderlands" until the GOTY edition came out with all the DLC, and even then, I waited for it to go down in price.

Yxklyx
09-28-2011, 08:42 PM
So Deus Ex switches from FP to TP when you take cover? That sounds incredibly lame.

bac0n
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
only DLC I buy are songs for Rock Band. And by now I'm sure I've spent more on the songs than on the actual game itself.

Morris Schæffer
09-28-2011, 09:03 PM
So Deus Ex switches from FP to TP when you take cover? That sounds incredibly lame.

Works great. Stealth does play a huge role.

megladon8
09-28-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm truly stunned by all the retailer-exclusive DLC crap with "Batman: Arkham City".

Man do they have balls.

Ezee E
09-28-2011, 09:28 PM
It's just Costumes and Maps right? Doesn't seem too out of ordinary for a game.

EyesWideOpen
09-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Well there is a difference between DLC. If you're talking about items and maps then no I never buy that stuff. DLC is also new levels, single player content, story stuff, etc. If it's a game I really like then I will almost always buy that stuff.

megladon8
09-28-2011, 11:05 PM
It's just Costumes and Maps right? Doesn't seem too out of ordinary for a game.

There's so much stuff, all of it divided into one's and two's available only through certain retailers.

Ezee E
09-29-2011, 12:13 AM
There's so much stuff, all of it divided into one's and two's available only through certain retailers.
Yeah, but I don't think any of it is extra levels. Just silly costumes and map upgrades I think.

I get the Joker Carnival Map...

EyesWideOpen
09-29-2011, 12:50 AM
It's just costumes and challenge maps. Same thing with the first Arkham Asylum.

Ezee E
09-29-2011, 05:15 AM
It's just costumes and challenge maps. Same thing with the first Arkham Asylum.
Yeah. Missing out on nothing then. Can't wait for it to be out.

Lasse
09-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Finally bought a Super Nintendo console along with Super Mario Allstars and Donkey Kong Country.

Goodbye life.

number8
09-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Not exactly. They're FREE only through certain retailers, as a pre-order bonus. You'll be able to buy all of them later on through DLC.

Fezzik
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
NCAA '12 continues to be awesome. When you put so much effort into a Road to Glory character, you really become invested in the whole process.

I'm in the sophomore year of RtG. Michigan is 8-1. Our only loss? On the road at Alabama (28-26). The differences: A missed 2 pt conversion and a costly fumble by yours truly. DAMMIT. Denaaaaard.

The game sucks you right in.

Spun Lepton
09-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Anybody play The Darkness? I never did because it got mostly mediocre reviews. The trailer for The Darkness II made me all giddy, though.

number8
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I did. Fun but too easy. Got bored halfway through.

megladon8
09-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Not exactly. They're FREE only through certain retailers, as a pre-order bonus. You'll be able to buy all of them later on through DLC.

Yes, that's my point.

There's like 30 different things available, and each retailer has only one or two of them.

So if you don't (or can't) get what you want, then you have to shell out more money for it later. What especially irks me is that apparently it's one of those cases where all of the unlockables are on every disc, you just only get the code for whatever retailer. So you have to pay again for stuff that's already on the disc you bought.

That's a big load of bullshit.

Oh and Spun, "The Darkness" kind of blows. I could see you finding it particularly annoying because of the horrible, laughably bad dialogue spouted by the main character during EVERY LOADING SCREEN.

It's painful.

The gameplay itself is pretty bland. The Darkness powers are cool for the first bit, but having to smash every light to be able to use them to their full advantage becomes tedious, and revisiting old areas where the lights have re-spawned is annoying.

"The Darkness II" does look pretty cool, but I was not too impressed by the first, particularly when I had enjoyed the developer's "Chronicles of Riddick" game so very much.

Dukefrukem
09-30-2011, 12:39 AM
Anybody play The Darkness? I never did because it got mostly mediocre reviews. The trailer for The Darkness II made me all giddy, though.

Yes. Its awesome and has one of the most gratuitous scenes in video games. Unnerved me quite a bit.

megladon8
09-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Oh man, "Gears of War 3" is blowing me away.

Has had several moments where I said "whoa" or "holy shit" out loud.

The best of the trilogy, for sure.

megladon8
09-30-2011, 01:59 AM
I would absolutely love an HD remake of "Vice City".

Morris Schæffer
09-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Finally bought a Super Nintendo console along with Super Mario Allstars and Donkey Kong Country.

Goodbye life.

They don't sell next-gen consoles in Denmark? :D

Well, at least it brought forth nicolas motherfucking winding refn!!!