PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Scar
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
I picked up Resident Evil 5, Far Cry 2 and Street Fighter 4 today. Having a gaming weekend these next few days.

I might bust out RE5 with a friend on Saturday. Haven't played it in awhile, but I've got plenty of weapons unlocked/maxed out.

And I unlocked the chick's tribal outfit. Oh my.

bac0n
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
I picked up Resident Evil 5, Far Cry 2 and Street Fighter 4 today. Having a gaming weekend these next few days.

Play SF4 LAST. Once you partake of its awesomeness, all those other mere games will be quickly forgotten.

Saya
07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Well, my copy of Far Cry 2 isn't working. I'll have to go back to the store tomorrow, let's see if it can be exchanged. I'm getting unreadable disc errors when I put the game in, haven't had this error with any games before. Also, the disc looks brand new and has no dirt or scratches on it so it's weird that I get this error...

I also played a bit of RE5, I like it so far. Game looks really good. Just killed 1 enemy so far haha!

As for, SFIV....holy crap I must be the world's worst SFIV player. I cannot beat Zangief with Ryu on medium in arcade mode... he is kicking my ass so hard. I tried for half an hour and gave up! I'm horrible and really in need of some practice haha. I also have to get used to the controls. BTW, how do you guys play it, do you use the analog stick or the little pad on the controller to move?

bac0n
07-31-2009, 02:19 PM
As for, SFIV....holy crap I must be the world's worst SFIV player. I cannot beat Zangief with Ryu on medium in arcade mode... he is kicking my ass so hard. I tried for half an hour and gave up! I'm horrible and really in need of some practice haha. I also have to get used to the controls. BTW, how do you guys play it, do you use the analog stick or the little pad on the controller to move?

The Gief is tough. The best advice I have for dealing with him is what Dan Davis told me - keep jumping and stay the hell away from him as much as you can.

I personally use the analog stick. Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's WAY easier to pull off special moves with it. I might eventually pick up a joystick for it, but those are hard to come by, it would seem.

D_Davis
07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
My arcade stick broke three weeks ago - haven't touched SFIV since. I miss it dearly. I'm probably going to drop the $150 on the pro-stick.

bac0n
07-31-2009, 02:56 PM
My arcade stick broke three weeks ago - haven't touched SFIV since. I miss it dearly. I'm probably going to drop the $150 on the pro-stick.

Are those even in stock yet? Everywhere I checked, they were backordered.

Saya
07-31-2009, 03:08 PM
What is a good brand of stick? Is Hori good? What is considered the best one? :)

D_Davis
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
What is a good brand of stick? Is Hori good? What is considered the best one? :)

I had the Hori EX stick. It was good, but broke after around 200 hours of play. It's affordable (~$60), but all the parts are soldered to the CPU, so you can't replace them when they break (two of my buttons stopped working). The Madcatz standard stick is ~$80, but all the parts are easily changeable. So when the buttons break you can replace them with genuine Sanwa parts. Sanwa buttons are top of the line, and run ~$7 each. I've heard that out of the box the Madcatz stick feels a little cheap, but it is easily modified.

There are also better sticks for about $150 that come with all Sanwa parts.

D_Davis
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Are those even in stock yet? Everywhere I checked, they were backordered.

Amazon has them.

Saya
07-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I had the Hori EX stick. It was good, but broke after around 200 hours of play. It's affordable (~$60), but all the parts are soldered to the CPU, so you can't replace them when they break (two of my buttons stopped working). The Madcatz standard stick is ~$80, but all the parts are easily changeable. So when the buttons break you can replace them with genuine Sanwa parts. Sanwa buttons are top of the line, and run ~$7 each. I've heard that out of the box the Madcatz stick feels a little cheap, but it is easily modified.

There are also better sticks for about $150 that come with all Sanwa parts.

Thanks for this informative post. I can get a Hori EX stick for about 70 euro here. The Madcatz is about 90 euro. Is it hard to replace the parts yourself if a button breaks? I also saw a couple Mad Catz Street Fighter pads (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Street-Fighter-IV-FightPad/dp/B001M22WMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1249065166&sr=1-1), which look pretty interesting. I think I might get a pad or a stick...not sure yet which one.

D_Davis
07-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for this informative post. I can get a Hori EX stick for about 70 euro here. The Madcatz is about 90 euro. Is it hard to replace the parts yourself if a button breaks? I also saw a couple Mad Catz Street Fighter pads (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Street-Fighter-IV-FightPad/dp/B001M22WMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1249065166&sr=1-1), which look pretty interesting. I think I might get a pad or a stick...not sure yet which one.

The Madcatz ones can be modified easily - from what I hear. They have quick release wiring. The stick comes with a square gate (4-way). I prefer square gates, you may not. You can swap it out for an octo-gate.

http://www.eventhubs.com/articles/2009/feb/03/mad-catz-street-fighter-4-controller-faq/

It's Eventhubs, so it's gotta be legit.

Are these sticks easy to modify and replace parts?

Yes. One unique feature about how the parts are installed on both sticks is that they are connected to the main electronics PCB of the controller via quick disconnect wiring. Quick disconnect wiring is something that has been used in arcades for a long time now and allow for easy replacement of the existing buttons. As long as the measurements are the same (30mm), you’ll be able to easily unplug the existing button’s quick disconnect terminal, pop out the button and replace it with the new one you’d like to install, then plug the quick disconnect terminal back into the new button, and just like that, you have yourself an easy and painless mod.

The arcade stick portion of both FightSticks, have been engineered with a special mounting plate that is compatible with almost all Japanese style arcade sticks. Obviously it fits Sanwa JLF arcade sticks but it will also fit standard Seimitsu LS-32-01 arcade sticks. They connect easily using the standard 5 pin connector into the separate PCB of the arcade stick component.

If most of the terminology here is too geeky and far fetched for you to comprehend… The bottom line is that BOTH Street Fighter IV FightSticks have been designed for easy customization and the ability to swap out parts painlessly. It should be noted that opening up the FightSticks will void your warranty, but if you know what you’re doing you should be fine.

D_Davis
07-31-2009, 06:44 PM
I just ordered the standard Madcatz one (~$72). Should be here next week. I'll let you know how it is.

Kurosawa Fan
07-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Every MadCatz controller I've purchased has been a piece of shit. Here's hoping you guys have better luck.

D_Davis
07-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Every MadCatz controller I've purchased has been a piece of shit. Here's hoping you guys have better luck.

There were supposedly some problems with the first batch of the SFIV sticks (a loose washer on the stick that rubbed the PCB), but I've read that they've been corrected. Plus the fact that they can be modified with genuine Sanwa parts, so I think the price is OK.

But yes, you are correct. Madcatz has historically not been known for high quality,

Ezee E
07-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I've had the same problem. I'll never try them again.

Saya
08-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Resident Evil 5 is pretty cool so far, maybe a little bit too easy though. I play on normal at the moment. I just finished chapter 1 and made some progress in chapter 2. But it seems I cannot put stuff from my inventory to my archive? How do you do that? When I select an item and chose to move it I cannot move it to the archive, I can only move it to Sheva. Very weird..

Justin
08-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Resident Evil 5 is pretty cool so far, maybe a little bit too easy though. I play on normal at the moment. I just finished chapter 1 and made some progress in chapter 2. But it seems I cannot put stuff from my inventory to my archive? How do you do that? When I select an item and chose to move it I cannot move it to the archive, I can only move it to Sheva. Very weird..

I believe it is the remove option if I remember correctly that moves items into your archive.

Saya
08-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I believe it is the remove option if I remember correctly that moves items into your archive.

Ok, thanks! I'll try it later.

Also, in some SFIV news... I finally finished arcade mode with Ryu on medium haha. Zangief gave me less trouble this time. Afterwards, I tried to do arcade mode with Chun-Li but got stuck on the last boss Seth. I gave up after 90 minutes of getting my ass kicked. I got close to beating him a couple times though. Anyone have tips on beating him?

monolith94
08-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't know anything about SFIV, but I have to say that in terms of fighting games, I'm greatly enjoying competing with my g/f in our little DOA3 tournaments.

megladon8
08-01-2009, 05:58 PM
"Marvel vs. Capcom 2" is fucking wonderful.

Even better on XBLA than I remember it being at arcades.

Justin
08-01-2009, 06:40 PM
"Marvel vs. Capcom 2" is fucking wonderful.

Even better on XBLA than I remember it being at arcades.

We may have to duke it out on XBL.

KK2.0
08-03-2009, 07:58 PM
recent PSN purchase Shatter - a really cool Breakout variant, much more fun than i thought it would be, adds a bunch of shmup inspired elements and nice variations on the stages (left to right, circular, bosses), the new gravity/wind mechanic to manipulate the ball seemed like a cheat at first but it actually improves the experience, it's much faster paced and less repetitive than other breakout style games. Also, visuals and music are clearly inspired by Mizuguchi san's work, always a plus.

overall a nice surprise.

can't wait to get out of work and try Fat Princess and Wipeout Fury they'll entertain me while i wait for BLAZBLUE to arrive.

anyone here got the Blue? Let's Rebel!! :)

Skitch
08-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Finished RE5. End boss was lame. You guys were right...RE4>RE5.

Ezee E
08-04-2009, 03:37 AM
Bioshock is pretty awesome. Scary too. I like how guys try and creep up on you and shoot, instead of it just being a shootout at all times. Plus, TELEKINESIS. Sweet.

I think I'm going to love this.

I don't think I jumped at a game this hard since Silent Hill when I was looking through some cabinets, heard a voice, and panned to the right, only to see someone right there with a wrench in my face. I lit him on fire.

megladon8
08-04-2009, 03:40 AM
Bioshock is pretty awesome. Scary too. I like how guys try and creep up on you and shoot, instead of it just being a shootout at all times. Plus, TELEKINESIS. Sweet.

I think I'm going to love this.

I don't think I jumped at a game this hard since Silent Hill when I was looking through some cabinets, heard a voice, and panned to the right, only to see someone right there with a wrench in my face. I lit him on fire.

Are you playing on 360?

If so, try to ge your hands on a copy of the first "Condemned" game, subtitled "Criminal Origins".

That is quite possibly the scariest game I have ever played.

Saya
08-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Picked up a bunch of 360 games today: Conan, Mirror's Edge, Viking: Battle for Asgard and Tomb Raider Underworld. All on sale. Should be enough to keep me going for the next few months haha.

Skitch
08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Picked up a bunch of 360 games today: Conan, Mirror's Edge, Viking: Battle for Asgard and Tomb Raider Underworld. All on sale. Should be enough to keep me going for the next few months haha.

I had fun with Conan. Mirror's Edge is very short (thank god).

Saya
08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I had fun with Conan. Mirror's Edge is very short (thank god).

Yeah, I'm looking forward to play Conan. And I really am in the mood to play a new action hack 'n slash game, that's why I got Viking too. But I don't know if that one is any good though haha.

How short is Mirror's Edge btw?

Saya
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
New L4D DLC called Crash Course:

http://i30.tinypic.com/23r0p79.jpg

MORE LEFT 4 DEAD DLC ANNOUNCED

Crash Course Campaign Due in September

August 4, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the next major downloadable content (DLC) update for its co-operative zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead (L4D), the #1 new game title on Xbox 360 and PC in 2008

Entitled "Crash Course," the latest DLC delivers new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay to both platforms. Targeted for release in September, "Crash Course" bridges the gap between the end of the "No Mercy" campaign and the beginning of "Death Toll" in the original game, expanding the game universe with new locations, new dialogue from the original cast, and an explosive finale

While containing both Survival maps and a Co-operative Campaign, the primary goal of "Crash" is to deliver a complete Versus mode experience in just 30 minutes, resulting in a streamlined version of the game's existing Versus campaigns. A recharge timer for infected teammates has also been added, and item spawn behavior has changed for more balanced gameplay.

"Since the release of Left 4 Dead last November, the design team has been excited about creating new experiences for this world and allowing players to do the same, by releasing much of our internal toolset, like the Survival Pack and Authoring Tools," said Gabe Newell. "We're working with the fans toward the ongoing entertainment value of the product."

Left 4 Dead is an action horror game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games. Released in November of 2008, L4D has earned over 50 industry awards from outlets around the world and sold almost 3 million copies worldwide.

Left 4 Dead: Crash Course is targeted for release in September and will be available free of charge on the PC and for 560 Gamer points on Xbox Live.

Dukefrukem
08-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Finished RE5. End boss was lame. You guys were right...RE4>RE5.

Told ya

Ezee E
08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
1 map for 560 points? Good thing I returned it.

Skitch
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to play Conan. And I really am in the mood to play a new action hack 'n slash game, that's why I got Viking too. But I don't know if that one is any good though haha.

My roommate go Viking...it seemed pretty cool hack n slash. I haven't played it myself yet, though.

I finished Mirror's Edge in probably 5-6 hours on my first run through on normal. It was more than enough. It has fun parts, that are completely interrupted by fighting scenes where you die twenty times before getting lucky once. Then you run through the next couple parts like nothing, then get to a stupid scene again. Frustrating that some of it can be so dumb, because a good portion of it is quiet good.

KK2.0
08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
the best way to play Mirror's Edge is to avoid fights, but i agree that they should have left you with more options.

you are supposed to be powerless against these heavy armored guys, but the timing to disarm a machine-gun cop is ridiculously hard compared to all the others, i died a lot each time those guys showed up.

but i thought it was well worth my time, one of the most unique games this generation, loved the design.

EyesWideOpen
08-05-2009, 01:04 AM

Conan was decent but Viking is a far better game. One of the underappreciated games on the 360.

Saya
08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Conan was decent but Viking is a far better game. One of the underappreciated games on the 360.

Good to hear! I'm looking forward to playing it after I finish RE5.

So, today I finally unlocked all the characters in SFIV and tried to play some games online. I thought I was off to a good start with some wins but then my losing streak started and I got my ass handed to me by almost everyone haha. It was a lot of fun though. I also don't really have a main yet, so I just pick different characters depending on my mood.

Oh, and I returned my Far Cry 2 game because it wasn't working and changed it for Project Sylpheed instead.

Skitch
08-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I have Project Sylpheed. Only played a couple levels.

megladon8
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
"'Splosion Man" is just so much fun.

It's hilarious, it's incredibly challenging, the controls are perfect and it's awesome in every way imaginable.

It's pretty much "N+" with shiny graphics. I love it.

D_Davis
08-05-2009, 05:13 PM
"'Splosion Man" is just so much fun.

It's hilarious, it's incredibly challenging, the controls are perfect and it's awesome in every way imaginable.

It's pretty much "N+" with shiny graphics. I love it.

It is a lot of fun. Totally like N+, although I still prefer N+.

trotchky
08-05-2009, 09:06 PM
guys i have a quick question that i need i quick answer to: for xbox360, can oblivion, fallout 3, or mass effect be played with one hand? i have a broken hand and im bored and i figure rpgs are ideal for this situation. if those require two hands i guess ill have to go with, gulp, a jrpg, probably blue dragon.

D_Davis
08-05-2009, 09:16 PM
No on all 3.

You should get that one-handed controller for the PS1, and play some old JRPGs. That thing was awesome for smoking, drinking, and leveling up in Wild Arms.

Ezee E
08-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't see how any modern game can be played with just one hand.

trotchky
08-06-2009, 12:19 AM
wii sports resort, kororinpa, kororinpa's sequel, orbital, house of the dead overkill, and any other wii game that only uses the remote are modern games that can be played with one hand. any turn-based rpg or strategy game can be played with one hand because they basically require no motor skills. any stylus-only ds game can be played with one hand. flower, the best game on the ps3, can be played with one hand. pacman championship edition, one of the best games on the xbox360, can be played with on hand. basically every pc rts--company of heroes, dawn of war, etc.--can be played with one hand. plenty of freeware indie games, like the amazing jill off with one hand, can be played with one hand.

in conclusion, you see things incorrectly. there are a lot of modern games that can be played with one hand.

Skitch
08-06-2009, 01:03 AM
No to the first two, haven't played Mass Effect. While I'm thrilled that you're okay, and I sincerely mean that, I will make it my mission to seek you out some one hand only playable games. This strikes a bit of a chord with me, because I sliced my left index finger in twine some years ago while being a carpet layer, and being a guitar player, had to learn to play without it. This is most difficult.

Acapelli
08-06-2009, 04:11 AM
wii sports resort, kororinpa, kororinpa's sequel, orbital, house of the dead overkill, and any other wii game that only uses the remote are modern games that can be played with one hand. any turn-based rpg or strategy game can be played with one hand because they basically require no motor skills. any stylus-only ds game can be played with one hand. flower, the best game on the ps3, can be played with one hand. pacman championship edition, one of the best games on the xbox360, can be played with on hand. basically every pc rts--company of heroes, dawn of war, etc.--can be played with one hand. plenty of freeware indie games, like the amazing jill off with one hand, can be played with one hand.

in conclusion, you see things incorrectly. there are a lot of modern games that can be played with one hand.
that doesn't sound like a lot of modern games. especially since one of them is PACMAN

Spun Lepton
08-06-2009, 04:14 AM

Can you type needlessly condescending replies with one hand?

trotchky
08-06-2009, 05:02 AM
that doesn't sound like a lot of modern games. especially since one of them is PACMAN

pacman ce is not pacman. pacman sucks; pacman ce is one of the greatest games of all time.

and maybe it isnt a lot of modern games, but its a lot more than zero modern games.

your views on david lynch invalidate anything you could possibly have to say to me.

so that's a "yes."

Milky Joe
08-06-2009, 05:03 AM

modern games suck.

Morris Schæffer
08-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Good question! I can certainly try it. The tricky parts would be the gun upgrades and the suit upgrade options. But I suppose it could be done if you map them to the directional pad and use the analog for movement. Although I'm curious on why you would want to do this. FPS play so much better with a mouse and keyboard.

Sorry for the belated reply. I will be purchasing a Sony Vaio laptop tomorrow and hope that it will allow me to play Crysis with nice detail. So rather than pound my laptop, which is more fragile than a real keyboard, I thought of using a gamepad. And I haven't gamed with a mouse for eons anyway.

Skitch
08-06-2009, 11:07 AM

Yes, but with no capitals. :)

Dukefrukem
08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Sorry for the belated reply. I will be purchasing a Sony Vaio laptop tomorrow and hope that it will allow me to play Crysis with nice detail. So rather than pound my laptop, which is more fragile than a real keyboard, I thought of using a gamepad. And I haven't gamed with a mouse for eons anyway.

You can always get an external USB keyboard. Don't count on Crysis running too well btw.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 01:33 PM
pacman ce is not pacman. pacman sucks; pacman ce is one of the greatest games of all time.

You say some funny things sometimes.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 01:33 PM
modern games suck.

:|

Dukefrukem
08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
modern games suck.

I actually sorta agree with this. Unless you're including Valve. Then i'd throw acid in your face.

Saya
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Just beat RE5. I enjoyed the game overall, but this game doesn't even come close to RE4. Still, I had a great time with it. Now it's time to collect all the weapons and other bonus features.

Milky Joe
08-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I actually sorta agree with this. Unless you're including Valve. Then i'd throw acid in your face.

Wasn't, but I'd dodge it anyway. :)

You say some funny things sometimes.

He's right, though.

megladon8
08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
You know what else sucks? Any movie after the year 1940.

And any book that's written in the English language after the year 1860.

I'm l33t.

Milky Joe
08-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Because that's completely the same thing, right?

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Modern things are lame.

Once the SNES introduced 6 button controllers, things went downhill. Who needs 6 buttons? Gimme 1 8-way joystick and a single button, thank you.

Good thing I kept my original Atari 2600 - because that's the place where games are the best.

Sycophant
08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
How is it that all of my favorite threads are being reduced to insufferable sniping, glibness, elitism, and anti-elitism? For Chrissakes, guys. We're better than that.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 05:45 PM
How is it that all of my favorite threads are being reduced to insufferable sniping, glibness, elitism, and anti-elitism? For Chrissakes, guys.

Deal with it.

Sycophant
08-06-2009, 05:46 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb160/emmieloveshim/peace.jpg

Dukefrukem
08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Modern things are lame.

Retro is way lamer.

Milky Joe
08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Modern things are lame.

They are, for the most part.

I don't see how this is even a debate. 95% of the games that are made and released are shit, just like with films, and just like with books. It's always been this way.

Anyway, my original post was a knee-jerk reaction to Acapelli's own knee-jerk reaction that Pac Man CE somehow isn't "modern." If that isn't modern gaming, I want no part of what is.

Dukefrukem
08-06-2009, 05:48 PM
You guys are confusing Lame with shity.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I like video games!

From all eras!

Old ones, new ones, simple ones, complex ones.

I like games on consoles, and on the PC!

I'm even thinking about buying a Wii to play Wii Sports Resort and Sin & Punishment 2.

Games are fun!

I like board games more though.

I like all kinds of board games.

Euro ones, and Ameritrash ones.

I like family board games, and nerd board games.

I also like card games! Even some CCGs!

I like to have fun with friends, and playing games is a great way to have fun.

Let's have a fun time!

Right on!

The best time for games is right now, because you can play the new ones and the old ones!

Awesome!

Milky Joe
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
I like video games!

From all eras!

Old ones, new ones, simple ones, complex ones.

Point taken, you're an optimist. But what about BAD ONES? Terrible, soul-destroying ones, even? Because that is most of them, I'm sorry to say.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Point taken, you're an optimist. But what about BAD ONES? Terrible, soul-destroying ones, even? Because that is most of them, I'm sorry to say.

I do whatever I can to avoid playing bad games, reading bad books, watching bad movies, and listening to bad music. Sometimes something bad sneaks in, but when that happens I quietly dispose of it and move on.

Even with all the bad stuff out there, there is not enough time in one life to experience all that is great and worthy of my time. For every life changing album I've heard, there are 10 that I haven't. For every great game I've experienced there are dozens that I don't have time for.

It's just the way it is. I choose to ignore the bad because of the abundance of good there is to experience.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Sturgeon's Law says that 99% of everything is crap.

However, within that 1% of greatness is so much amazing stuff that it would be impossible to experience it all in a single life time.

That's awesome.

Sycophant
08-06-2009, 06:05 PM
The 95-99% crap figure seems greatly exaggerated.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I ended up canceling my Madcatz joystick order.

Instead I ordered one of the cheaper fight pads. It just came today, so I'll let you all know how it works out.

I've never, ever played SF with a game pad, so it's going to take me many, many hours to build this new muscle memory.

I'm betting that I don't like it.

However, I'm going to put some stuff together to sell in order to buy a really nice Hori stick in the future, one with all Sanwa parts.

This fight pad is just a temporary solution.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 06:09 PM
The 95-99% crap figure seems greatly exaggerated.

I don't know. I haven't actually counted everything.

Ezee E
08-06-2009, 06:13 PM
It's okay. I'd be mad when it takes ten minutes to write that with one hand.

Sycophant
08-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Just saying, of the couple hundred movies that get American theatrical releases every year, I watch probably 10-30% of them. And I usually at least kinda like more than half of them and would throw the "crap" label at maybe 10-20% of those. Either the 95-99% figure is woefully pessimistic or I have objectively awful taste.

Things that are neither "crap" nor "amazing" are undervalued as well.

Milky Joe
08-06-2009, 06:16 PM
It's just the way it is. I choose to ignore the bad because of the abundance of good there is to experience.

I understand you, but life is ugly, and it's full of disease and heartache and loss and pain and ass-backwards ideologies and bad art and bad games and bad people. To ignore half of all existence seems to me... unhealthy, in some abstract way, and not just on a personal level but for everybody. You won't find anyone who appreciates the beauty of experience more than me, but let's be realistic here.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd say that within the 1% of stuff really worthy of your times is a broad range of quality ranging from merely adequate to totally awesome.

Some of my favorite games are merely adequate in terms of design and play mechanics.

I definitely don't need something to be AAA quality across the board for me to enjoy it. Sometimes some flaws add character.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I understand you, but life is ugly, and it's full of disease and heartache and loss and pain and ass-backwards ideologies and bad art and bad games and bad people. To ignore half of all existence seems to me... unhealthy, in some abstract way, and not just on a personal level but for everybody. You won't find anyone who appreciates the beauty of experience more than me, but let's be realistic here.

I agree. But I wasn't really talking about real life things like hunger, disease, bad people, war, and all that jazz. I was mainly just talking about stuff like games and movies. I don't ignore that real stuff - on the contrary, I do what I can to tackle those things head on.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Is everybody (anybody?) here a member of the ECA?

http://action.theeca.com/t/2858/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=2865

bac0n
08-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I ended up canceling my Madcatz joystick order.

Can't say as I blame ya. SF4 actually works pretty well with the regular Xbox Controller, once you get used to the Hard Kick/Hard Punch being the right trigger and bumper buttons, respectively.

D_Davis
08-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Can't say as I blame ya. SF4 actually works pretty well with the regular Xbox Controller, once you get used to the Hard Kick/Hard Punch being the right trigger and bumper buttons, respectively.

We'll see how this fight pad works out, until I save the $$$ for a super joy stick.

I just have years of joy stick experience built up, and my muscle memory is very strong with these motions. It's going to take awhile to relearn.

The fight pad seems nice, though. I like the oversized D-pad and buttons.

Acapelli
08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
They are, for the most part.

I don't see how this is even a debate. 95% of the games that are made and released are shit, just like with films, and just like with books. It's always been this way.

Anyway, my original post was a knee-jerk reaction to Acapelli's own knee-jerk reaction that Pac Man CE somehow isn't "modern." If that isn't modern gaming, I want no part of what is.
well i assumed it was just the old pac man with updated graphics as these things usually go

Spun Lepton
08-06-2009, 11:28 PM
your views on david lynch invalidate anything you could possibly have to say to me.

so that's a "yes."

Oooh nooo, the guy who got drugged up and crashed his family's car doesn't think my opinion is valid! Mine life is destroyed!!

Rowland
08-07-2009, 01:43 AM
I've been playing the original Pac-Man on my DS every time I use the toilet, and sometimes to help me fall asleep. That game is still addicting, especially once you achieve a high score that seems impossible to crack! That's it, I'm getting a new score tonight... possibly while shitting.

Also bought Tomb Raider: Legend for the PS2 tonight, hope it's fun.

Amnesiac
08-07-2009, 02:34 AM
That's it, I'm getting a new score tonight... possibly while shitting.

Whenever someone accuses you of coming across as too affected/sounding like a rigid movie newspaper advertisement or whatever... you should just quote this.

trotchky
08-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Oooh nooo, the guy who got drugged up and crashed his family's car doesn't think my opinion is valid! Mine life is destroyed!!

that's a pretty fucking tacky thing to say.

also, i wasn't on drugs, you twit.

Scar
08-07-2009, 12:00 PM
that's a pretty fucking tacky thing to say.

also, i wasn't on drugs, you twit.

If he didn't, someone else would have.

megladon8
08-07-2009, 05:01 PM
:confused:

So anyways...

"'Splosion Man" is getting mighty hard. But I am steadfast in my resolve to never skip any levels. I've beaten everything so far, and I'm on level 3-2 now.

Unlike "N+". I think I quit that at about world 4, it got too damn frustrating.

KK2.0
08-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Fat Princess is probably the first online game that grabbed my attention, quick and simple to get into (after Titan Studios solved most connection problems from the first days of course), it feels like a chaotic mayhew at first, but once you get the hang of things and players are acting with a little coordination, it becomes immensely enjoyable.

Hopefully they'll add more content or it may get old pretty fast, though, since it's a small downloadable game it has very few maps and modes.

I don't know. I haven't actually counted everything.

me neither, i'm too busy playing great games, new and old.

trotchky
08-07-2009, 07:45 PM
If he didn't, someone else would have.

oh

Acapelli
08-08-2009, 06:19 AM
arkham asylum is pretty fun, if a little uninspired

Saya
08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Just finished my first speed run of RE5. It took me 4:00:54. Fast enough to be rewarded with the infinite rocket launcher! This will make veteran and professional difficulty a whole lot easier I think. :)

Ezee E
08-08-2009, 12:51 PM
arkham asylum is pretty fun, if a little uninspired
That's out already?

Anyone got Halo Wars? My roommate got it yesterday. Pretty fun.

D_Davis
08-08-2009, 01:57 PM
That's out already?

Demo.

Ezee E
08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Demo.
NICE.

Love these demos. If Ghostbusters' demo came out earlier, I don't think I would've bought it. On the flip side, if Halo Wars didn't have a demo, I'd never have recommended my roomie to buy it.

D_Davis
08-08-2009, 04:52 PM
NICE.

Love these demos. If Ghostbusters' demo came out earlier, I don't think I would've bought it. On the flip side, if Halo Wars didn't have a demo, I'd never have recommended my roomie to buy it.

Yeah - demos are one of my favorite things of this generation.

EyesWideOpen
08-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I've played maybe one demo in the whole time I've had a 360/PS3. I avoid them for games I'm interested in the same way I avoid when they put up the first ten minutes of a movie as a preview online.

number8
08-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Wow. Gabe (from PA of course) did this epic D&D battle where the party falls straight to the center of the earth while fighting a dragon in free fall.

This is how they did the board:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/uploads/2009/08/04/fall_0.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/uploads/2009/08/04/fall_5.jpg

EyesWideOpen
08-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Wow. Gabe (from PA of course) did this epic D&D battle where the party falls straight to the center of the earth while fighting a dragon in free fall.

This is how they did the board:

http://www.match-cut.org/showthread.php?t=2140

Sycophant
08-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Okay, Little King's Story is pretty great. 5 hours in and kind of in love with it. If you have a Wii, you should buy this.

Ezee E
08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I wonder if one of the characters was Winston*

Scar
08-08-2009, 09:25 PM
If you've prepped your party for Emerald and Ruby Weapon, Sephiroth is a cream puff, even w/o Knights of the Round Table.

Quadra Slash for the win, yo.

Winston*
08-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Good deal on Indie games in Steam this weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/indiesale

I already have a few of the big one's so I probably won't partake.

Acapelli
08-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Yeah - demos are one of my favorite things of this generation.
demos were part of the previous two generations too. i couldn't wait for each issue of the official playstation magazine, and only because of the demo disc that came with it each month

i mean it's great now that they're free

Ezee E
08-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Jesus, Bioshock is intense. I think I've been "killed" a hundred times in this.

And the Big Daddy's. Sheesh.

megladon8
08-09-2009, 03:30 AM

Yeah man, glad you're diggin' it. Love the sound design so much. The Big Daddys are amazing, too. Very intimidating to go up against those guys.

number8
08-09-2009, 03:50 AM
http://www.match-cut.org/showthread.php?t=2140

We should really just consolidate.

Morris Schæffer
08-09-2009, 10:55 AM
You can always get an external USB keyboard. Don't count on Crysis running too well btw.

Well, I've got 4 gigs of ddr2 ram, a geforce 9600 GT and a 2.53 ghz CPU. Is that really too feeble?

The Crysis manual btw has a page on how to configure an xbox 360 joypad. Pretty cool.

Rowland
08-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I started Sly Cooper 2 today for a few hours, and so far it seems considerably improved over the original, with less of an emphasis on collecting items and platforming mechanics (i.e. Jak) than a developed sense of actual stealth design, with a single, wide-open environment to contend with and multiple characters with unique strengths to play as, all while carrying over the appealing visual design and sense of humor. Sly Cooper as a series feels like it has really found its voice here, so I'm looking forward to delving further into the game.

megladon8
08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Holy crap.

Just played a level in "'Splosion Man" that was very, very difficult. I love that this game has nothing cheap in it - nowhere do you feel like "wow, this is impossible". Anything you can't beat, it's simply because you're not good enough or fast enough.

I just went through one series of jumps and platforms that took about 20 tries. Wow, that was killer.

KK2.0
08-10-2009, 04:11 AM
My Blazblue copy arrived and i'm having a blast.

It's been a long time since a fighter held my attention, Soul Calibur 4 was a letdown to me, and while i enjoyed SF4 i'm not a great player and thankfully BB it's an easier game to get into, and offer a fresh experience while SF had more of a nostalgic feel to it. Controls are responsive and combos are executed with forgiving timing, very satisfying gameplay with enought depht in it to last for a long time.

Lovely high def 2D and 3D artwork, if a bit busy, but i guess it will be appreciated more by those into anime. I'm loving the oddball cast of fighters, which one plays very differently from each other and offer a huge variety of play mechanics.

there's still several stuff to see, i haven't touched online and story modes yet.

megladon8
08-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Awesome, KK.

That's a fighting game I really want to try out.

bac0n
08-10-2009, 07:06 PM

Yeah, no kiddin' - I think I was able to fight those guys without dying, maybe once, and that one time involved meticulous trap setting, chickenshit running and gunning, and most of all, dumb luck.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, I've got 4 gigs of ddr2 ram, a geforce 9600 GT and a 2.53 ghz CPU. Is that really too feeble?

I'm sorry to say Yes.

Ezee E
08-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, no kiddin' - I think I was able to fight those guys without dying, maybe once, and that one time involved meticulous trap setting, chickenshit running and gunning, and most of all, dumb luck.
Dumbluck is right. I was hoping to electrocute one while it was in water, but it recovers far too quick.

Sycophant
08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Little King's Story is pretty much the only thing I played over the weekend. I got about six hours in (20ish game days). I'm rather smitten with it. Every aspect of the game just exudes charm. The music is beautifully arranged and effectively used. I sometimes finding myself wishing I could either use the Wii remote as a pointer to direct my citizens or have some sort of Zelda-style targeting system, because the little nuances of analog stick movements can get really iffy when directing from a distance, especially when the king's trying to dodge projectiles. And I've had some frustrating minutes trying to get my guard to follow me up some stairs. Otherwise, the execution of this is pretty great.

I also sort of wish that I wasn't able to rely on Over-There Beach (a resurrection beach where slain citizens sometimes wash up alive the day after a battle) so much, since I haven't yet had an actual citizen death. I was really panicked after I beat Onii King last night, since my only casualty was a footman named Mike, who's dating an animal hunter named Alice, and the thought of her losing him was kind of upsetting. I was thinking I'd actually reset and try again. But then he washed up on the beach and I was like "Oh, okay, whatever."

Also, I like that the game is pretty much entirely in real time. If you stop moving, the clock still counts down.

D_Davis
08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
I've heard that the music in Little King's Story is excellent.

I picked up that Viking game for the 360. Just got it, haven't played it. Looks fun. I like this time of the 360's lifespan - it is now possible to find games for cheap that were overlooked, or that are older and worth playing.

Morris Schæffer
08-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry to say Yes.

The demo was sorta playable on my previous pc with modest detail. (AMD 3500+ 2.2 ghz / Geforce 6800 Ultra / 1 gig ram).

Last night the game chugged like crazy in the opening intro with the airplane. I turned it off.

How odd when every aspect of this laptop is more powerful than my previous PC. U yourself indicated that a Geforce 9600 GT > Geforce 6800 ultra.

Dukefrukem
08-11-2009, 12:09 PM
The demo was sorta playable on my previous pc with modest detail. (AMD 3500+ 2.2 ghz / Geforce 6800 Ultra / 1 gig ram).

Last night the game chugged like crazy in the opening intro with the airplane. I turned it off.

How odd when every aspect of this laptop is more powerful than my previous PC. U yourself indicated that a Geforce 9600 GT > Geforce 6800 ultra.

I'm actually surprised the demo played better on your first PC. Believe me, I've tested this game on practically every mobile graphics card AND desktop GPU imaginable. The best it's ever played on was two nvidia 280s in Sli. I'm running it on a Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 and I can't even run it on Ultra. I don't even get 60 fps on High.

Saya
08-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Finished RE5 on pro mode today. Had to use the infinite rocket launcher to get me out of some tough areas though (mostly boss fights). Especially that Jill/Wesker fight near the end was driving me crazy and it didn't help that the AI was constantly being killed in 1 hit by Wesker. Now I just need to S rank a couple chapters and then I will move on to another game. :)

Skitch
08-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm working my way through Dead Space at a snail's pace. I got it weeks ago and I'm still only on the third chapter. I just finished turning the engine on.

Still, great game.

I finished Dead Space then beat RE5, then went back to DS. I'm currently playing to games on DS, a round two medium up to chapter 10, and a hard round one up to round 6 I think.

Dukefrukem
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm working my way through Dead Space at a snail's pace. I got it weeks ago and I'm still only on the third chapter. I just finished turning the engine on.

Still, great game.

I looooooooove the sound effects in that room after you turn it on. Gives off a great atmospheric experience.

bac0n
08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
For those maybe 2-3 of you who care, I managed to get into the Champions-Online open beta over the weekend. For the unaware, CO is a superhero MMO built by the same folks who built that other superhero MMO, City of Heroes. CO is supposedly coming out for the 360 sometime in the as of yet undisclosed future (tho I would be surprised if it were to show up before Q1 next year). Still no solid word on when that 360 release is gonna be, tho rumors abound of everything from late september to never. In the meantime, it's slated for a 9/1 PC release, so I decided to see how it would work on my crappy PC laptop.

Well, it works, but the graphics card on my laptop isn't up to snuff, so the graphics look PS2-ish. Still, I was able to play the game. The controls are very similar to City of Heroes - the movement keys are the same, the power keys are the same, tho now it's more arcadey, inasmuch as you don't walk up to the bad guy, press 1 which causes power 1, then press 2 while you wait for one to recharge, press 3, press 1, press 4, get a beer from the fridge, press 1, press 3, go to the bathroom, press 5.

Here you need to hit your basic attack, usually a simple punch or a low powered ranged attack, to build up an energy meter which you can then use to hit your bigger attacks. The good thing about this is that it makes the combat much more fast paced, a good thing. The bad thing is that it eliminates specialized roles. You have either brawlers or shooters, and they both fight the same way - hit your basic attacks until your energy meter is filled up, then throw in a big attack. Support classes like healers and controllers, well, they're kinda SOL, cuz they're going to have to enter the fray to build up enough energy to heal and control, which kinda defeats their purpose, being staying back and helping out the good guys (healers) or hurting the badguys (controllers).

So, the upside is the combat is gonna be more exciting because it'll be more quick paced, no auto-blocking and dodging, but the teaming is probably gonna be not as fun, as there'll be less variety in the types of heroes teaming up.

Still, the game shows promise. I'm still looking forward to the hopeful 360 release.

D_Davis
08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
So B...

The best part about the HERO System is the robust character development process. By picking disadvantages and advantages you were able to make some amazing characters. I remember one time I actually made Tetsuo and Akira, and during the campaign they both exploded thus destroying the entire world.

I also made a character that was basically the most powerful being in the universe, but he was deathly afraid of the sun and air. It was a total blast to role-play.

How is the CC process in this? Is it even really a HERO system game?

bac0n
08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
So B...

The best part about the HERO System is the robust character development process. By picking disadvantages and advantages you were able to make some amazing characters. I remember one time I actually made Tetsuo and Akira, and during the campaign they both exploded thus destroying the entire world.

I also made a character that was basically the most powerful being in the universe, but he was deathly afraid of the sun and air. It was a total blast to role-play.

How is the CC process in this? Is it even really a HERO system game?

Supposedly, advantages and disadvantages are in the game, but I didn't see it. Maybe because they're saving that for the release version, maybe it comes after release, maybe it's a load of bull, I don't know. The character creator is pretty robust, but 95% percent of that robustness is in the appearance generator. The rest of it's pretty bare bones - you pick two powers, go with the default attributes or pick one of 8 possible combos and away you go. I really hope that granularity comes in, though. I like my heroes to have a few chinks in their armor as well.

D_Davis
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
So that Viking kind of reminds me of a mix between Fable II and Mark of the Kri. I only played about an hour of it, but it's kind of cool.

Morris Schæffer
08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm actually surprised the demo played better on your first PC. Believe me, I've tested this game on practically every mobile graphics card AND desktop GPU imaginable. The best it's ever played on was two nvidia 280s in Sli. I'm running it on a Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 and I can't even run it on Ultra. I don't even get 60 fps on High.

Hm. I also found this online:

Asus showcased its limited edition gaming laptop “G1S Crysis Special Edition” during World Game Master Tournament 2007 event in Korea. Powered by a 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 processor, the powerful 15.4-inch WSXGA (1680×1050) notebook PC features a 2GB of DDR2 main memory, a 160GB of 5,400rpm SATA HDD, a DVD burner, and a 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600M GT Core graphics engine that supports the latest DirectX 10 technology. Moreover, along with the cool Crysis artwork at its cover, the laptop also sports the ability to display new email arriving, schedule, MSN message notification and battery remaining time through a direct messenger window, even while playing the game.

Why would Asus release a special edition Crysis gaming laptop that was inadequate to play the game? And my Sony Vaio is more superior in every way than the one mentioned above.

Here's what i found however that explains my lamentable framerates. The guy here did exactly as I did using the "optimal settings" button. Some bits from a forum:

Hello,

My brother just bout a new Asus G71 notebook today, but he cannot play on Crysis on the optimal settings at all. The game presets them to High, but he can only play the game on low settings on a very low resolution.

I updated the Nvidia driver and Vista drivers, then the game ran fine on high settings . . . for about 30 seconds. Next I updated the game to 1.21 and it is still unplayable at medium and crashes on high settings.

Here are his specs:

Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53ghz
6GB Ram
GTX 260m 1GB gpu
500GB hard drive
Windows Vista 64

Hypothetically he should be getting better than 2 to 8 FPS on high settings, and at least playable frame rates on medium.

JTP709 06-29-2009 at 05:48:25 PM Show message
- 0 +
well, i got it to work, and boy do I feel stupid . . .

The default power setting was "power saver" . . . I'm not used to trying to game on a laptop lol. Once its set to high performance everything runs great

Reply to JTP709
TheGreatGrapeApe 06-30-2009 at 01:30:26 AM Show message
- 0 +
I was going to ask if it was plugged in or running off battery, but then thought better of it. Surprisingly this is a common thing where default when plugged in is 'balanced' and not 'performance'.

Glad you caught it though.

I changed my laptop settings needless to say, but have yet to test the game. Soon. :)

Skitch
08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
So that Viking kind of reminds me of a mix between Fable II and Mark of the Kri. I only played about an hour of it, but it's kind of cool.

I need to buy that.

Saya
08-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Played Conan for the 360, but I can't really get into it. The gameplay feels very clunky and the combat is not working for me.

I also got some other new games, one of which is 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. And after playing 3 levels I have to say that to my surprise that this game is pretty good. It's very arcade-y which I always like and it's very silly and over the top. Also the dialogues and one-liners are so awful, they become hilarious.

D_Davis
08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I need to buy that.

I got mine for $12 - and I have no complaints.

megladon8
08-13-2009, 09:43 PM
"Doom II" headed to XBLA. (http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/101/1013852p1.html)

Sweeeeet.

Winston*
08-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Has anyone played eternal sonata? I'm thinking of buying it.

Been playing Resistance 2. This game is awesome. Non stop actions.

megladon8
08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Has anyone played eternal sonata? I'm thinking of buying it.

Been playing Resistance 2. This game is awesome. Non stop actions.

Yeah, "Eternal Sonata" is really good if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm not a big JRPG fan, but I still enjoyed it mostly due to it's freaking divine beauty.

KK2.0
08-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Awesome, KK.

That's a fighting game I really want to try out.

if you enjoyed the Guilty Gear games you'll feel right at home, i was never much of a GG enthusiast so my approach to BB was cautious, but i'm pretty happy with it. They share similar fight systems, but BB reminded me more of Capcom´s Darkstalkers, and i've found it more acessible than both.

check out IGN's overly enthusiastic review if you haven´t yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUxh8sDIJg0

My only gripe is that character roster is kinda short (12) but to learn each one of them will take time, and their repective story modes are kinda extensive, with multiple alternative paths. It's almost safe to bet that Arc will release additional DLC charaters in the future, GG had several revisions.

Acapelli
08-16-2009, 03:39 AM
chinatown wars is a lot of fun

Saya
08-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I finished 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand a couple days ago. I kinda hated the game at the end and I'm happy I'm done with it.

Right now I'm playing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I'm on the 5th mission I think and I like it so far, butr the combat isn't all that and the camera is horrible. Killing enemies with the lightsaber and force powers is a lot of fun though.

Morris Schæffer
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Shadow Complex trailer:

http://www.gamer.nl/doc/53418/Shadow-Complex-knalt-van-het-scherm

Epic, gloriously epic.

D_Davis
08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Dangit these reviews have me stoked for Shadow Complex.

Hurry up please!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/shadowcomplex

Saya
08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Finished The Force Unleashed. It's too bad the game is filled with bugs, glitches, horrible platforming and a terrible camera system, because this game sure has potential. Playing with the force powers and saber is just a lot of fun. And the game looks great too, it just sucks that it is so unpolished. I thought the story was a lot better than any of the movies of the new prequel trilogy.

So after finishing the Star Wars game I started a little bit on Afro Samurai. Played for about an hour. First impressions: the game looks amazing. I love the art style, it's sort of a cell-shaded style. Voice acting is great too so far. Combat is ok, except for the camera which is inverted and driving me crazy and I haven't found the option to change that yet.

Sycophant
08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Persona 3's been announced for the PSP (in Japan) with an optional alternate female protagonist (and matching bishonen Elizaboy) and some new features (such as full party control).

So gonna get this when it comes to the States.

Saya
08-18-2009, 05:37 PM
The PS3 Slim was just announced at Gamescom conference. 299 Euro / 299 dollar. Available in the first week of september.

http://images.scribblelive.com/2009/8/18/d8e33901-d8ac-4f92-9849-f5c76af4fec1_400.jpg

Sycophant
08-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Oh, shit.

I think I'm gonna buy that.

Skitch
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm all over that.

Saya
08-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Here is a better pic of the new console:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/ps3-slim-big-1.jpg

Dukefrukem
08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
They got rid of the gloss. Fail.

Sycophant
08-18-2009, 06:10 PM
They made it smaller (and now it's cheaper). Win.

Kurosawa Fan
08-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Is it still a Blu-Ray player in the slim format?

D_Davis
08-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Is it still a Blu-Ray player in the slim format?

Yes.

Kurosawa Fan
08-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Yes.

Wow. Might have to make the leap this fall. At that price, it seems like a no brainer.

bac0n
08-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah. Damn.

EyesWideOpen
08-19-2009, 03:13 AM
The gloss is the worst part about the PS3 design so it's a smart decision in my book. It's almost impossible to keep dust and fingerprints off the damn thing.

Morris Schæffer
08-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Goddam, Just Cause 2 looks awesome:

http://www.gamer.nl/doc/53467/Vliegen-varen-en-schieten-in-Just-Cause-2

Click play

Morris Schæffer
08-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Uncharted 2 new trailer:

http://www.gamer.nl/doc/53499/Proef-de-sfeer-in-Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves-trailer

Fantastic!

Dukefrukem
08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Uncharted 2 new trailer:

http://www.gamer.nl/doc/53499/Proef-de-sfeer-in-Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves-trailer

Fantastic!

Jesus fuck!

Morris Schæffer
08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Well, Shadow Complex is quite something! Lots of fun, aiming takes some getting used to. Some. Oh how XBLA games have grown over the years.

megladon8
08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
"Shadow Complex" is freaking awesome.

Saya
08-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Finished Afro Samurai. Technically it's a very average game but I enjoyed it somewhat for a couple runs. The one thing that bothered me the most, besides the horrible camera is the fact that the game has unskippable cutscenes. I can't stand that. And some scenes are pretty long so it gets annoying if you have to replay a part of a level only to sit through the scene again and again.

Just started X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's pretty cool that you can see the damage on Logan's body when he gets hurt and over time it regenerates again. Also, the game is very gory and brutal. Am only at the first level so far, but it's looking good!

megladon8
08-21-2009, 04:48 PM
"Batman: Arkham Asylum" is getting rave reviews all-round.

IGN even calls it the greatest comoc-book based video game of all time.

I'm stoked.

Saya
08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
"Batman: Arkham Asylum" is getting rave reviews all-round.

IGN even calls it the greatest comoc-book based video game of all time.

I'm stoked.

Yeah, I didn't expect that. Good news! I hope I can get it in a couple weeks.

megladon8
08-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I didn't expect that. Good news! I hope I can get it in a couple weeks.

Oh I expected it.

A lot of people put in a LOT of very hard work and genuine passion to make a great game here.

The whole team who made it were people who saw how crappy most superhero games are - in particular, how there hasn't really been a noteworthy Batman game ever - and tried desperately to change that.

Plus, bringing in the voices from "The Animated Series" (Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hamill as The Joker, etc.) was one awesome move.

I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Saya
08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Oh I expected it.

A lot of people put in a LOT of very hard work and genuine passion to make a great game here.

The whole team who made it were people who saw how crappy most superhero games are - in particular, how there hasn't really been a noteworthy Batman game ever - and tried desperately to change that.

Plus, bringing in the voices from "The Animated Series" (Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hamill as The Joker, etc.) was one awesome move.

I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

That is great. I didn't really pay attention to any news about the game, because like you said there hasn't been a noteworthy Batman game yet. So I kinda expected this one to suck too. But now after reading some reviews and impressions, I'm stoked to play it too.

I think the exclusive content sucks though, it seems the PS3 version has additional Joker stuff that the 360 version doesn't have.

Scar
08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I was far from blown away with the Batman demo.

I may get it someday, but at a very reduced price.

megladon8
08-21-2009, 09:36 PM
You suck, Scar. :P

Scar
08-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Somebody has to dislike it. :P

bac0n
08-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Not much into the Batman cannon, but the idea of perching atop a gargoyle, swooping down and taking out thugs standing guard one at a time, and then swooping back up again before the other thugs even know what happened is very appealing.

Ezee E
08-22-2009, 01:59 AM
Not much into the Batman cannon, but the idea of perching atop a gargoyle, swooping down and taking out thugs standing guard one at a time, and then swooping back up again before the other thugs even know what happened is very appealing.
Yeah, as long as the game doesn't do that the entire length, it seems promising.

megladon8
08-22-2009, 03:05 AM
It doesn't. It's quite the awesome balance between stealth, brutal hand-to-hand combat, and exploration/detective work.

Spun Lepton
08-22-2009, 04:06 AM
Bat ... man? Who is this Bat ... man person you speak of?

/end of the day at work
//a little loopy

Acapelli
08-22-2009, 04:23 AM
I was far from blown away with the Batman demo.

I may get it someday, but at a very reduced price.
i felt the same

Winston*
08-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Finished that Resistance 2, ending was a bit disappointing but great fun overall.

Bought eternal sonata, played a little bit. Very handsome looking game, this is.

Scar
08-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Finished that Resistance 2, ending was a bit disappointing but great fun overall.

Bought eternal sonata, played a little bit. Very handsome looking game, this is.

I'm very tempted to pick up Resistance 2.

I also played the Wolverine demo yesterday. I wasn't impressed in the first 30 seconds, but then began giggling like a schoolgirl while creatively dismembering and disembowling people.

It felt like God of Wolverine, but thats not necessarily a bad thing...

Saya
08-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm playing the Wolverine game now and the combat is great. It's fast, bloody and gory there are a decent amount of moves to perform. The bad thing is the lack of enemy variety and the environments are very boring and repeat themselves a lot. The gameplay makes up for it though. Also, this Wolverine is about 100 times more violent and crazy than the movie version. Great game, and one of the better movie tie-in games I've played.

Winston*
08-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm very tempted to pick up Resistance 2.

It's like the first one except bigger and better. Also you fight essentially Godzilla at one point.

Scar
08-22-2009, 12:14 PM
It's like the first one except bigger and better. Also you fight essentially Godzilla at one point.

I think I hear bac0n running over here now....

Scar
08-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Flower is amazing.

megladon8
08-22-2009, 01:38 PM
There really needs to be a great Godzilla/Kaiju game this generation.

It seems like such an easy formula to create a satisfying gaming experience, but no one can figure it out.

Stop making kaiju fighting games. That's not how to pull it off.

Do an action game "AvP" style. Two separate campaigns, one as a giant monster and one as the military trying to stop the giant monster.

D_Davis
08-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Shadow Complex is so, so good.

megladon8
08-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Shadow Complex is so, so good.

You've earned a week's worth of rep from me.

D_Davis
08-22-2009, 04:52 PM
You've earned a week's worth of rep from me.

I don't want to jump the gun, but this could very well end up one of my all time favorites. It's Super Metroid meets Symphony of the Night by way of Out of This World and Flashback, but with better graphics and modern touches.

Love it.

I'm going to be gone all day doing something fun, but I wish I could just stay home and play this game all the way through in a single sitting.

Morris Schæffer
08-22-2009, 05:32 PM
@DukeFrukem (or anyone else):

Which graphics NVIDIA card is more powerful?

The Geforce 9600 GT or Geforce 120 GT

??

Danke!

Sycophant
08-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Um, so I actually ordered one of these damned PS3 things. I also preordered Demon's Souls (which I think is the main reason I bought the system). I'm gonna buy a couple of games like Mirror's Edge and Stranglehold as well as Valkyria Chronicles that I've been interested in. Also, some games from PSN.

But what other retail games would those of you who know something about my video game tastes (especially my preference toward non-FPSes and Japanese-developed games) recommend?

Saya
08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Um, so I actually ordered one of these damned PS3 things. I also preordered Demon's Souls (which I think is the main reason I bought the system). I'm gonna buy a couple of games like Mirror's Edge and Stranglehold as well as Valkyria Chronicles that I've been interested in. Also, some games from PSN.

But what other retail games would those of you who know something about my video game tastes (especially my preference toward non-FPSes and Japanese-developed games) recommend?

Tales of Vesperia will be out for the PS3 next month. It's a JRPG. So you could check that out. I don't have a PS3 myself yet, but I always thought Siren: Blood Curse looked very interesting. Its a survival horror game.

Skitch
08-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I don't want to jump the gun, but this could very well end up one of my all time favorites. It's Super Metroid meets Symphony of the Night by way of Out of This World and Flashback, but with better graphics and modern touches.

Love it.

I'm going to be gone all day doing something fun, but I wish I could just stay home and play this game all the way through in a single sitting.

YOU SAID FLASHBACK! REP!

Skitch
08-22-2009, 07:19 PM

I would hesitate with Mirrors Edge, sir...unless its pretty darn cheap.

Sycophant
08-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Tales of Vesperia will be out for the PS3 next month. It's a JRPG. So you could check that out. I don't have a PS3 myself yet, but I always thought Siren: Blood Curse looked very interesting. Its a survival horror game.

Alas, I don't think Vesperia's confirmed for coming to America any time soon. I'll look into Siren, though.

Watashi
08-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I've only played Rock Band around 3 times, yet I'm really excited for Beatles Rock Band.

Stay Puft
08-22-2009, 10:10 PM
I would hesitate with Mirrors Edge, sir...unless its pretty darn cheap.

Should be. I bought a new copy a few months ago for $20. I've seen copies for $10 lately.

Also, Syco, check out Noby Noby Boy (from the Katamari Damacy guy).

Dead & Messed Up
08-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I picked up Alien 3 for SNES and Spider-Man 2 for GCN (by way of my Wii) today. The former's supposed to be quite good, and I used to own the latter, which was incredibly fun, what with all the swinging and what have you.

number8
08-22-2009, 11:30 PM

It seems like such an easy formula to create a satisfying gaming experience, but no one can figure it out.

Do an action game "AvP" style. Two separate campaigns, one as a giant monster and one as the military trying to stop the giant monster.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Earth_defense_force_2017_box_a rt.jpg

Acapelli
08-23-2009, 12:20 AM

did you ever play war of the monsters for the ps2? one of my favorite fighting games ever and would love to see a sequel for this generation

EyesWideOpen
08-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Anyone who hasn't played Earth Defense Force 2017 needs to buy it immediately.

Morris Schæffer
08-23-2009, 10:04 AM
I picked up Alien 3 for SNES and Spider-Man 2 for GCN (by way of my Wii) today. The former's supposed to be quite good, and I used to own the latter, which was incredibly fun, what with all the swinging and what have you.

Alien 3 is great. The soundtrack in particular.

Saya
08-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Alas, I don't think Vesperia's confirmed for coming to America any time soon. I'll look into Siren, though.

Aww, yeah you're right. I thought it was coming to America as well. Maybe you could check out Folklore instead. It's one of the few RPGs on the system.

Kurosawa Fan
08-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I was a mere few steps away from beating Super Mario Galaxy, and my oldest son informed me this morning that my youngest deleted my file last night. I'm trying not to be too angry, because I'm sure it wasn't malicious. He had no idea what he was doing. But man, I'm really pissed off right now. It's not a game I play often (because I don't play any game often), but I was really looking forward to beating it sometime this year. Not gonna happen now.

Scar
08-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I was a mere few steps away from beating Super Mario Galaxy, and my oldest son informed me this morning that my youngest deleted my file last night. I'm trying not to be too angry, because I'm sure it wasn't malicious. He had no idea what he was doing. But man, I'm really pissed off right now. It's not a game I play often (because I don't play any game often), but I was really looking forward to beating it sometime this year. Not gonna happen now.

Hug?

Kurosawa Fan
08-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Hug?

I'm still at the point where I'd squeeze with a bit too much force. Maybe a bit later.

Skitch
08-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Anyone who hasn't played Earth Defense Force 2017 needs to buy it immediately.

Really? Huh, I never thought it was anything. Cool, it will be my next purchase.

Stay Puft
08-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, EDF2017 is one of my favorite 360 titles. Great co-op game.

Saya
08-23-2009, 10:00 PM
After SFIV it's really hard to play Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. I'm not feeling the controls yet (for example blocking with R2 and jumping with L2). That feels weird to me haha. Maybe I should play it a bit more though.

monolith94
08-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by Kurosawa Fan View Post

Wow. I thought that sort of thing only happened in movies & stuff. You have my sympathies...

megladon8
08-24-2009, 02:27 AM
When I was about 7 I deleted my brother's "Donkey Kong Country" saved game at 95% completion, as revenge after he punched me in the gut.

Spaceman Spiff
08-24-2009, 02:36 AM
EDF2017 is a fucking great game.

D_Davis
08-24-2009, 03:44 AM
I'll be the voice of dissent with EDF. I found it to be merely OK. Had I paid full price for it, I would have been disappointed. But as a rental, it was a blast. I'd probably be happy with it as a $10 purchase.

megladon8
08-24-2009, 03:48 AM
I bought it used for $15 and I thought it was fuckin' terrible.

bac0n
08-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Ya know, I think if they took the Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee formula and honed it a little (okay, a lot), they'd have something. The thing about that game was how pick-up-and-playable it was, which made it great for parties. When you have four players controlling four kaiju, it is such exquisite chaos, it's awesome.

The only faults I would have with that game (and its sequel) was that the combat was pretty simplistic and rewarded button mashing; the monsters were too similar in terms of how they played; and the environments weren't interactive enough. The latter point is the biggy. Part of the fun of watching Godzilla films is watching the huge apocalyptic explosions, watching buildings explode and rubble flying all over the place. If a game could capture that, it would be awesome. Even better would be if you could use buildings as weapons, for example knocking a building onto another monster, or pushing a monster into a building and watching it crumble around him.

You could actually knock buildings onto other monsters in War of the Monsters. That was a pretty awesome game, actually. Kinda wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.

D_Davis
08-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Shadow Complex continues to blow my mind with awesomeness.

If you have a 360, this is the game you should be playing. The amount of polish and craftsmanship put into this game is incredible. It's going to give SFIV a run for the money when it comes to my game of the year.

It is absolutely perfectly paced. Each new carrot is dangling just out of reach from the last, making it nearly impossible to put down. The devs have spaced things the optimum distance apart from one another. Every 5-15 minutes you're discovering something new, something awesome, and something that keeps you wanting to play. The only other game I've ever played that understands pacing as well is Diablo 2.

Skitch
08-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Picked up some vacation prep today...

FFVII: Crisis Core (psp) - $10
GOW: Chains of Olympus (psp) - $15
Viewtiful Joe (GC) - $2.50
Rampage World Destruction (GC) - $5 (drunken four player fun)

number8
08-24-2009, 05:21 PM
I think what I'd really love to see is a Godzilla game from the POV of a pedestrian, making it sort of a Cloverfield type of plot where you run through Tokyo to rescue someone as Godzilla tears it apart. You'd have set-pieces like the giant boss battles in Resistance 2.

Skitch
08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
That would RULE. Imagine the first level of GOW2 at ten times the size and completely underfoot.

Sven
08-25-2009, 01:44 AM
I bought StarCraft yesterday. I'm so bad at it, but it's very fun.

Sycophant
08-25-2009, 01:45 AM

Be wary of going online. I took Warcraft II to Battle.net a few times and found myself just completely demoralized.

Sycophant
08-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Really enjoying Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner. It's pretty easy and has some annoying fetch quest adventure gamey bullshit, but it's got a great atmostphere and feels good.

SMT: Devil Survivor is a pretty great SRPG and on Day 5, it's starting to go very interesting places, narratively. It's like the best parts of SRPGs plus a good SMT style battle system. That battles only last about 5-15 minutes is a plus (I'm looking at you Final Fantasy Tactics Advance).

I just overcame a difficulty roadblock in Little King's Story, so I'm eager to play more of that.

Starting to get my initial line up of PS3 games. Started with Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Mirror's Edge. Think I'll also be picking up Lost Planet soon, and be getting Noby Noby Boy from PSN as soon as I can.

Sven
08-25-2009, 01:52 AM
Be wary of going online. I took Warcraft II to Battle.net a few times and found myself just completely demoralized.

Yeah, I doubt this will ever happen.

Winston*
08-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Get Valkyria Chronicles and Flower, Sycophant. These two games are awesome and you would love them.

I played the demo of Ninja Gaiden, seemed rather shite. Mirror's Edge is good.

Sycophant
08-25-2009, 02:00 AM
I'll do that Winston*. Thanks.

I read somewhere that Ninja Gaiden Sigma was a good enhanced remake of the Xbox game, and this friend of mine's been telling me I need to play the Xbox game forever, and it was $20, so I was like, okayfine, I'll try it.

Winston*
08-25-2009, 02:05 AM
I think you'd like Uncharted actually, even though it's an American game with shooting in it. Fun narrative.

megladon8
08-25-2009, 02:10 AM
I think you'd like Uncharted actually, even though it's an American game with shooting in it. Fun narrative.

:lol:

EyesWideOpen
08-25-2009, 02:12 AM
I really disliked Noby Noby Boy, but Flower on the other hand singlehandedly made my PS3 purchase worthwhile.

Watashi
08-25-2009, 03:48 AM
I've been playing a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 recently. My God... I'm horrible at this game. I can't even beat the computer on easy. :(

I've been doing a lot of training and that still doesn't help. Am I just using the wrong characters (Wolverine/Sakura/Gambit)?

Acapelli
08-25-2009, 05:06 AM
just started playing the first professor layton game

love the aesthetic

Saya
08-25-2009, 08:10 AM

I love that game. I replay the single player campaign every once in a while because its so much fun. Did you get the expansion pack, Broodwar, as well?

Skitch
08-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Lost Planet was a nice surprise for me, Syc. Not a perfect game, but fun and different.

Bought two more games yesterday, bringing my total to six in one day. :) A bowling game for Gamecube and EDF 2017. See if ya'll were right. ;)

Dukefrukem
08-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Lost Planet was a nice surprise for me, Syc. Not a perfect game, but fun and different.

YOu play it on Xbox?

Skitch
08-25-2009, 04:24 PM
YOu play it on Xbox?

Yep.

Dukefrukem
08-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Yep.

I played it on PC. Maybe that's why I hated it.

monolith94
08-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Sven View Post

http://www.youtube.com/user/KlazartSC

Just to get you started on the pro-scene. I pretty much follow all pro-starcraft that comes out of Korea, be it WCG, OSL, MSL, or Proleagues…

number8
08-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Holy shit, who came up with Ghostwire? What a fucking stupid concept.

Morris Schæffer
08-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Shadow Complex continues to blow my mind with awesomeness.

If you have a 360, this is the game you should be playing. The amount of polish and craftsmanship put into this game is incredible. It's going to give SFIV a run for the money when it comes to my game of the year.

It is absolutely perfectly paced. Each new carrot is dangling just out of reach from the last, making it nearly impossible to put down. The devs have spaced things the optimum distance apart from one another. Every 5-15 minutes you're discovering something new, something awesome, and something that keeps you wanting to play. The only other game I've ever played that understands pacing as well is Diablo 2.

Yesterday the base appeared completely flooded and I had just acquired the scuba gear. Restoration soldiers were floating everywhere, classical music was playing. Yeah, that was incredible. The game still doesn't pose much of a challenge, but it is tons of fun.

bac0n
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
ack! too many games, too little time! and here I am wanting to get one of those PS3 slims too. :eek:

D_Davis
08-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Yesterday the base appeared completely flooded and I had just acquired the scuba gear. Restoration soldiers were floating everywhere, classical music was playing. Yeah, that was incredible. The game still doesn't pose much of a challenge, but it is tons of fun.

Yeah - the flood part was awesome. Great use of music to add to the atmosphere.

It's not very challenging, no, but that's cool. I've died a few times.

Scar
08-26-2009, 09:21 PM
ack! too many games, too little time! and here I am wanting to get one of those PS3 slims too. :eek:

Its only a matter of time before a Wii graces the Scar household.

Watashi
08-27-2009, 05:21 AM
What's this about a new Final Fantasy game coming out this week?

number8
08-27-2009, 05:38 AM
What's this about a new Final Fantasy game coming out this week?

It's a fighting game. All the main characters and villains from FF 1-12.

Watashi
08-27-2009, 05:48 AM
It's a fighting game. All the main characters and villains from FF 1-12.
Ew.

number8
08-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Ha:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2009/20090826.jpg

Sycophant
08-27-2009, 06:15 AM
It's a really weird fighting game. Running around buildings, flying in the air, stealing "bravery" to do high HP damage. I played the demo. I didn't quite know what to make of it.

Acapelli
08-27-2009, 09:09 AM
It's a really weird fighting game. Running around buildings, flying in the air, stealing "bravery" to do high HP damage. I played the demo. I didn't quite know what to make of it.
i remember's square's fighting game for the psone ehrgeiz was pretty weird too. and that one had characters from ff7

Saya
08-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Finished Prince of Persia for the 360. I liked the casual platforming a lot and the artstyle, but that was about it. I think this game has the worst combat system I have ever experienced in a game. The prince is supposed to be an agile guy but he moves like a tank and all the fights in the game are QTE fests. The button input doesn't alway register and the time you get to click a button is way too short.

Sycophant
08-27-2009, 03:23 PM
There's must've been another reprint of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. If you want one of the greatest RPGs ever made, you can snag this one now on Amazon new for $30.

D_Davis
08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
There's must've been another reprint of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. If you want one of the greatest RPGs ever made, you can snag this one now on Amazon new for $30.

Nice!

It's strange that things such as video games, things printed on digital media that can be reprinted indefinitely, wind up being "collectors" items. It's really silly. Especially when the original devs and publishers don't see any of the money being made on the secondary market.

So it's good to see a quality game back on the market for an affordable price.

Dukefrukem
08-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Finished Prince of Persia for the 360. I liked the casual platforming a lot and the artstyle, but that was about it. I think this game has the worst combat system I have ever experienced in a game. The prince is supposed to be an agile guy but he moves like a tank and all the fights in the game are QTE fests. The button input doesn't alway register and the time you get to click a button is way too short.

Agreed on the combat system. It's bad.

Sycophant
08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Nice!

It's strange that things such as video games, things printed on digital media that can be reprinted indefinitely, wind up being "collectors" items. It's really silly. Especially when the original devs and publishers don't see any of the money being made on the secondary market.

So it's good to see a quality game back on the market for an affordable price.

Yeah, I actually picked up a second copy. Not to squat on it and turn a profit, but rather to have a second copy to lend and I think sell to someone I know who wants it but hasn't had the money for it recently.

megladon8
08-27-2009, 07:38 PM
I would totally buy all those "Shin Megami Tensei" games if I had a PS2.

I was very disappointed when I read that PS3 is not backwards compatible, because I was hoping to stock up on all the PS2 games I missed.

I refuse to buy both the PS2 and PS3, so I dunno. Maybe I'll just get neither and continue enjoying my 360 and Wii.

Sycophant
08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Man, if I had to get rid of every system I owned but one, I'd save the PS2.

Dukefrukem
08-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Man, if I had to get rid of every system I owned but one, I'd save the PS2.

I'd save my PS3 since it also plays PS2 and PS1 games.

Scar
08-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I'd save my PS3 since it also plays PS2 and PS1 games.

My original PS3 took a shit awhile back, and needs its hard drive redone by Sony, according to the engineers at my wife's work. They can do a lot to fix PS3's, 'cept for redoing the harddrive. I'll be damned if I'm gonna send it in to Sony, and pay $150 just for them to look at it, plus whatever else its gonna take to take care of the hard drive.

So, my current PS3 does not play PS2 games, but I have a PS2 hooked up to the TV downstairs.

Skitch
08-27-2009, 08:57 PM
I hear Sony is working on some firmware to make all PS3's backward compatible.

Dukefrukem
08-27-2009, 09:00 PM

That would dominate.

Dukefrukem
08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
My original PS3 took a shit awhile back, and needs its hard drive redone by Sony, according to the engineers at my wife's work. They can do a lot to fix PS3's, 'cept for redoing the harddrive. I'll be damned if I'm gonna send it in to Sony, and pay $150 just for them to look at it, plus whatever else its gonna take to take care of the hard drive.

So, my current PS3 does not play PS2 games, but I have a PS2 hooked up to the TV downstairs.

Very unfortunate. I've logged maaaaaaaannny hours on my 60GB PS3. Works wonderfully.

Scar
08-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Very unfortunate. I've logged maaaaaaaannny hours on my 60GB PS3. Works wonderfully.

Oh, many an hour was logged into my old tank. Took a shit during RE5.

Spun Lepton
08-27-2009, 10:05 PM

I guarantee if my PS3 shits itself, I will not buy another. I may buy a Blu-Ray player, but I will not get another PS3. (This is not me saying, "I'll go buy an Xbox instead!" It's me saying I'm tired of the general direction these video gaming companies are going.)

Morris Schæffer
08-28-2009, 07:39 AM

Has in the past week been denied by a Sony Head honcho as "ain't gonna happen."

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/20/koller-bc-on-ps3-wont-be-returning/