PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Dukefrukem
03-29-2009, 11:54 PM
You can't die in the latest Prince of Persia game. Verdicty: not a game.

You can't die in Wii Tennis. Verdict: not a game.

So floating around makes it a game? I didn't mean my post to be taken so literal (as it always is).. but there's just no real challenge involved when you're playing.

There's no score.
There's no death.
There's trophies.

If there wasn't trophies, there would be no point to playing. Aside from a an arguable standpoint that the game is extremely relaxing.

Dukefrukem
03-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Also I finished RE5 today. Worst game in the series so far.

Winston*
03-30-2009, 12:02 AM
So floating around makes it a game? I didn't mean my post to be taken so literal (as it always is).. but there's just no real challenge involved when you're playing.

There's no score.
There's no death.
There's trophies.

If there wasn't trophies, there would be no point to playing. Aside from a an arguable standpoint that the game is extremely relaxing.

There is a score, the flower on the windowsill changes depending on how many petals you've collected. If you collect them all the flower fully blooms. There are levels that you progress through in a linear order to advance the narrative and get to the end, which even has a final boss. Even evaluating this on a narrow definition of gaming, this is clearly a video game.

I'd be more inclined to use a definition like this:

Video game: An interactive experience for the purposes of entertainment played on an electronic screen.

EyesWideOpen
03-30-2009, 12:10 AM

There's no score.
There's no death.
There's trophies.

Have you actually played through the game? Because this post makes me believe that you haven't.

Dukefrukem
03-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Have you actually played through the game? Because this post makes me believe that you haven't.

:rolleyes: PSN: Dukefrukem

Sycophant
03-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Did you just ask him to look at your PSN profile instead of answer him "yes" or "no"?

D_Davis
03-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Did you just ask him to look at your PSN profile instead of answer him "yes" or "no"?

On the internet, where "pics or it didn't happen" is a common phrase, and people poke holes through reviews by checking the gamertag of the reviewer to see how far they got in the game, Duke's post makes sense.

Dukefrukem
03-30-2009, 03:40 AM
On the internet, where "pics or it didn't happen" is a common phrase, and people poke holes through reviews by checking the gamertag of the reviewer to see how far they got in the game, Duke's post makes sense.

rep for DD

D_Davis
03-30-2009, 03:44 AM
This discussion reminds a lot of the podcast I mentioned earlier. The discussion of the different ends of the gaming spectrum - games that are purely system-based versus games that are purely experienced-based - can be interesting.

But what is happening here feels more like a pissing match where people are bashing Duke for his own definition of what makes a game a game, as if his opinion on Flower is unique - the questioning of its gameyness as been raised by many people since its release, and not in ways that belittle the game, which I don't think he was doing.

Flower is more of an experience; yes it is a game, but it is more defined by the emotions it causes and by the world the player experiences, while not being defined by a rigid game playing system.

It's goal seems more to tell a tale and envelop the player in its world, while the trophy system adds a level of gameyness to it by creating objectives if the game player wishes to indulge him or herself.

So basically, it's the best of both worlds, and by adding the trophy system to the experience of the game, the developers have, in theory, expanded their audience and the game's appeal.

The ListenUp podcast had a great discussion on this game; John Davidson's perspective, and how his wife reacted to the game, are great. I believe he also discussed it on an episode of the What They Play podcast.

EyesWideOpen
03-30-2009, 05:02 AM
:rolleyes: PSN: Dukefrukem

I would have believed you, I just figured you hadn't since you said all you do is float. Their are levels, where to make progress in the levels you have to complete objectives. I don't comprehend how someone can say it is not at it's base a game. An artsy game yes, but a game nonetheless.

Dukefrukem
03-30-2009, 06:29 AM
I would have believed you, I just figured you hadn't since you said all you do is float. Their are levels, where to make progress in the levels you have to complete objectives. I don't comprehend how someone can say it is not at it's base a game. An artsy game yes, but a game nonetheless.

It's called exaggerating and of course it's a video game. :frustrated:

This discussion reminds a lot of the podcast I mentioned earlier. The discussion of the different ends of the gaming spectrum - games that are purely system-based versus games that are purely experienced-based - can be interesting.

But what is happening here feels more like a pissing match where people are bashing Duke for his own definition of what makes a game a game, as if his opinion on Flower is unique - the questioning of its gameyness as been raised by many people since its release, and not in ways that belittle the game, which I don't think he was doing.

Flower is more of an experience; yes it is a game, but it is more defined by the emotions it causes and by the world the player experiences, while not being defined by a rigid game playing system.

It's goal seems more to tell a tale and envelop the player in its world, while the trophy system adds a level of gameyness to it by creating objectives if the game player wishes to indulge him or herself.

So basically, it's the best of both worlds, and by adding the trophy system to the experience of the game, the developers have, in theory, expanded their audience and the game's appeal.

The ListenUp podcast had a great discussion on this game; John Davidson's perspective, and how his wife reacted to the game, are great. I believe he also discussed it on an episode of the What They Play podcast.

I question more the value of Flower. Is it worth $10? Now that is a more relevant discussion. I would have liked a few more landscapes.

EyesWideOpen
03-30-2009, 07:07 AM
I found more value in the $10 I spent on Flower then 95% of the games I spend $60 on.

Skitch
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Anyone play Army of Two?

Ezee E
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Anyone play Army of Two?
Didn't like it at all.

My roommate loved it though.

D_Davis
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Flower is most definitely worth $10. That's cheaper than going to a movie.

bac0n
03-30-2009, 01:32 PM

Right on. I would lump the latest Prince of Persia in with Flower as more of an experience as a traditional game. You could make an argument that Bioshock would fall into this category as well. I like this trend in videogames, as games that really envelope me and take me in are my version of a calgon bath.

Ezee E
03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
What is this new Prince of Persia game all about anyway?

Skitch
03-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Didn't like it at all.

My roommate loved it though.

I got it cheap...and Dead Rising cheap as well. Prolly crack one of 'em today.

Skitch
03-30-2009, 02:17 PM
What is this new Prince of Persia game all about anyway?

Give it a swing when its ten bucks.

Its really fun at first, then when you realize you can't die...it loses its challenge. Then it just gets repetitive.

bac0n
03-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Give it a swing when its ten bucks.

Its really fun at first, then when you realize you can't die...it loses its challenge. Then it just gets repetitive.

There are parts toward the end that it took me a while to get past, so there is a challenge. And some of the boss fights are tough. And no, you don't die - your sidekick rescues you and drops you off on the previous ledge. So, it's sorta like re-spawning in other games - the idea is the same, just the implementation is what's different.

Dukefrukem
03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I found more value in the $10 I spent on Flower then 95% of the games I spend $60 on.

Touche... I've been very disappointed with some of the big titles released lately. RE5, Fallout3, Far Cry 2...

Justin
03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Braid is an incredible game, I hate myself for not buying it earlier. I really see absolutely no faults in the game at all, just a perfect experience.

Winston*
03-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Braid is an incredible game, I hate myself for not buying it earlier. I really see absolutely no faults in the game at all, just a perfect experience.

That is the only game I wish I had an XBox 360 for. Hope it comes to the PSN or PC at some point.

EDIT: Well, hey it's coming out on Steam next week.

megladon8
03-31-2009, 12:14 AM
I love "Braid", but I admit I still have no idea what it means.

Dead & Messed Up
03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
Am I the only person on the planet that thought RE4 was fairly meh? It's sooo repetitive, the puzzles was brain-dead easy and much of the writing and delivery (I consider these important things) was soooo shit. A few good scares and set-pieces, but not really enough for me to outright champion the game as a masterpiece of the form. Also, gah! I hated the entire Ashley stuff. Nothing worse in game design than having to protect imbecile AI.

The Ashley stuff can be irritating, but I think it's mostly minimized, and luckily the game lets you lose her a couple of times. You should avoid the Wii version of Dead Rising. I wanted to crucify the survivors I had to protect.

I wouldn't call RE4 repetitive. The environments are continually changing, the enemies are continually changing, each boss is new and exciting. Even when you've seen it before (El Gigante), you have a new way to approach it and fight it. And with your constantly expanding arsenal, there's never a shortage of ways to attack.

You didn't love the knife-fight with Krauser? The Thing-inspired wolves? The fiery dungeon pit with enormous stone dragons hanging from the ceiling? The creepy mood in the Spanish village? The first time a chainsaw bastard cuts your head off?!

Do you not like good things?

Spun Lepton
03-31-2009, 12:37 AM
I've been very disappointed with some of the big titles released lately. Fallout3

:crazy:

Dukefrukem
03-31-2009, 01:46 AM
:crazy:

When I beat it i'll give you my full thoughts.

number8
03-31-2009, 01:46 AM
And no, you don't die - your sidekick rescues you and drops you off on the previous ledge. So, it's sorta like re-spawning in other games - the idea is the same, just the implementation is what's different.

Yeah, I don't see the difference.

D_Davis
03-31-2009, 02:22 AM
In SFIV, since I've switched to Dan as my main, and I've started winning a few matches, I've had more rage quitters than ever before.

I just WORKED some dude playing as Gen, and he RC'ed before the first match was over.

I always send these jerks the same message: "You just lost to Dan, scrub!"

The Gen-dude replied back, "I'm not in the mood to play against cheaters."

SCRUB!

bac0n
03-31-2009, 04:51 AM
BUURRRRRNNNNNN!!!!!! :pritch:

Ezee E
03-31-2009, 05:04 AM
NHL '09 wins online are pretty damn satisfying. More than any other game I can think of right now.

bac0n
03-31-2009, 02:44 PM
I was playing SF4 online.... and my suckiness online was getting me really frustrated, which tensed me up and made my suckiness all the more sucky. Towards the end, I couldn't even pull off a simple Bison Scissor-kick. I was basically winning 1 out of every 4 or 5 matches. Why, one match, I was squaring off against somebody playing as Balrog. I was kicking his ass, a super combo away from winning outright, until he got me in a corner and spammed me with low-punches until my health was gone. ARGH!

It wasn't until I reverted to Sagat and started playing over the top aggressively that I started to win every once in a while. I think I even managed two wins in a row before I was through.

Ah, SF4, you are a cruel mistress. But I keep coming back to you...

D_Davis
03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
You need to face my Dan!

bac0n
03-31-2009, 05:20 PM
You need to face my Dan!

Yeah, that'll really boost my confidence, getting whupped by Dan. :P

D_Davis
03-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that'll really boost my confidence, getting whupped by Dan. :P

The best thing about playing as Dan is that if you win, it's totally awesome, and if you lose, well that's expected!

It's like a win-win, even if you lose.

And every single fight is an uphill battle - especially against Sagat and Gief. I can beat those dudes, but damn does it take forever. I have to hit them like 50 times just to do the damage they do on 5 hits. Crazy.

bac0n
03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
The best thing about playing as Dan is that if you win, it's totally awesome, and if you lose, well that's expected!

It's like a win-win, even if you lose.

And every single fight is an uphill battle - especially against Sagat and Gief. I can beat those dudes, but damn does it take forever. I have to hit them like 50 times just to do the damage they do on 5 hits. Crazy.

Good Gief!

Spun Lepton
03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Good Gief!

*kicks you*

megladon8
03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
I love "Okami".

It's wonderful.

megladon8
03-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Jeez, it's too bad to read about how awful "Wheelman" is.

I hope this isn't indicative of what we'll be getting with "Assault on Dark Athena". It's my most anticipated game so far this year...I hope they put as much TLC into it as the first game.

Amnesiac
03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
I just realized that a sequel to Mass Effect was announced and apparently, if you still have your save file from the original game, it will affect your character in the new game. Sounds like a cool idea.

I never actually got around to playing the first game, though. Was it really good?

D_Davis
03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
I hope this isn't indicative of what we'll be getting with "Assault on Dark Athena". It's my most anticipated game so far this year...I hope they put as much TLC into it as the first game.

Completely different developer, so I wouldn't worry.

megladon8
03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Completely different developer, so I wouldn't worry.

Really? I thought they were both by Diesel's Tigon Sutdios.

Oh and IGN has their review of "Assault on Dark Athena" in - 7.4.

D_Davis
03-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Really? I thought they were both by Diesel's Tigon Sutdios.

Oh and IGN has their review of "Assault on Dark Athena" in - 7.4.

Tigon doesn't actually make games - they develop ideas for Diesel to star in.

The new Riddick game is made by Starbreaze, the creators of the original.

number8
03-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Tigon doesn't actually make games - they develop ideas for Diesel to star in.

I'd like that job, please.

"Vin, Vinnieeee! Listen, listen, man. You. Are. Going. To. Love this. You know how you're this badass driver in Fast & Furious, and you know how you're a badass fighter in xXx? Okay, follow me here, Vin baby, you following? What if you star in a video game where you are a badass driver AND a badass fighter? You hear what I'm saying? Right? Right? What do you say? Dude, it'd be like Transporter--you know how you wanted those Transporter movies? It'll be just like that, but in a video game. Trust me, Vinnie D. It. Will. Be. HUUUGE. Just in time for the new Fast & Furious movie too. Double promotional strategy. BOOM. In the can, am I right or am I right? Let's make some money, bro! You leave it to me."

D_Davis
03-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Totally.

Maybe we should start one for Jason Stathom?

Stay Puft
04-01-2009, 12:19 AM
I never actually got around to playing the first game, though. Was it really good?

It was okay - and it does have some great moments, so it's worth checking out. It also has a lot of problems, though, and the sidequest content is generally worthless. If you're going to look into it now, I'd recommend getting the PC version, assuming you have a PC that can run it. It's supposed to fix quite a few problems, mostly performance related (the 360 version is plagued with performance issues like unstable framerates, loading problems, etc.)

D_Davis
04-01-2009, 03:05 AM
So I totally whupped this dude's Sagat, playing as Dan of course, and he messaged me accusing me of getting a boner.

Dan brings forth the rage - and the thing is, I'm really not that good with him.

D_Davis
04-01-2009, 03:07 AM
Mass Effect also has a terrible inventory system.

I lost interest in that game rather quickly, but I've been thinking about trying it again.

I'd rather see Bioware make a more focused game. Rather than presenting us a ton of planets, each with only a tiny little area to explore (as in ME and KOTOR), I'd rather if they made a game world concentrating on one city, and really fleshed it out.

Spun Lepton
04-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Damn, D. The moment any stranger messages me on the Sony network, I reply with, "We are not friends, do not message me." Striking up conversations with assholes on the Internet doesn't seem like a valuable use of my time.

Wait ...

:P

megladon8
04-01-2009, 03:49 AM

I lost interest in that game rather quickly, but I've been thinking about trying it again.

I'd rather see Bioware make a more focused game. Rather than presenting us a ton of planets, each with only a tiny little area to explore (as in ME and KOTOR), I'd rather if they made a game world concentrating on one city, and really fleshed it out.

This is something that bothered me in "GTA IV" as well. While I admit I had a lot of fun with it for a while, I found the whole city with all its burroughs was so huge that only small portions of it were interactive. They looked pretty, but you couldn't do anything in half the areas.

I wonder if that would be the next step in open-world gaming. A full city where every building, road and alleyway can be entered and explored.

Skitch
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
The demo of Wheelman was fun...reminded me of Driver.

Played the first couple levels of Army of Two last night...so far I'm diggin' it. Not perfect, but it was cheap. :)

megladon8
04-01-2009, 09:16 PM
"Re-imagining of the original 'Silent Hill' coming to the Wii. (http://wii.ign.com/articles/968/968741p1.html)

I'll pick it up for sure.

Spun Lepton
04-01-2009, 09:56 PM
After playing my roommate's Wii, I'm convinced it's less a video gaming system and more an extremely intricate and expensive toy. I hope Nintendo proves me wrong, but so far I am rather unimpressed.

Sycophant
04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Is this December 2006?

I've played video games on my Wii.

D_Davis
04-01-2009, 10:07 PM
"Re-imagining of the original 'Silent Hill' coming to the Wii. (http://wii.ign.com/articles/968/968741p1.html)

That's cool.

I've been wishing for a remake of the original 2 Silent Hill games - only I've been wishing for them to come on the 360 or the PS3. I'd love to see and hear these games with the power of these systems.

Dukefrukem
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM

April fooooooooooools!

Kurosawa Fan
04-02-2009, 03:34 PM
April fooooooooooools!

Where do you see that it's a joke?

Sycophant
04-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, it's not an April Fool's joke. Shit's for real.

Spinal
04-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm loving Civilization: Colonization. Fun spin on the normal Civ IV gameplay where you try to establish a colony, interact with the natives (peacefully or not), set up a local economy, build militarily and then declare your independence from the mother country (England, Spain, France or the Netherlands). Just won my first skirmish with the locals and I feel kind of guilty. But they attacked me! I gave them cigars at a reasonable rate. I thought we had something.

Fezzik
04-02-2009, 08:35 PM

Yep.

Luckily, the PC version of the game featured a much better inventory system.

I traded in the XBOX360 version after two weeks. Ive played through the PC version twice. I didnt realize how much the inventory system of the console version annoyed me until then.

Dukefrukem
04-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Where do you see that it's a joke?

I was just messin'. I was expecting them to say it eventually.

monolith94
04-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm loving Civilization: Colonization. Fun spin on the normal Civ IV gameplay where you try to establish a colony, interact with the natives (peacefully or not), set up a local economy, build militarily and then declare your independence from the mother country (England, Spain, France or the Netherlands). Just won my first skirmish with the locals and I feel kind of guilty. But they attacked me! I gave them cigars at a reasonable rate. I thought we had something.
If you can play civilization in a controlled and orderly manner, then you're a better man than me. I had to throw away my Civ 4 game disc.

Acapelli
04-02-2009, 11:42 PM
has this ghostbusters gameplay trailer been posted here?

http://www.gamecinemahd.com/game/ghostbusters_the_video_game/videos/18711/

i really want it

megladon8
04-03-2009, 12:55 AM
I hadn't seen that trailer yet, Acapelli, but I'm hoping it's a good game. I think a third film is an inevitably bad idea, so going with the video game route may be a good idea if its given the right treatment.

Still really enjoying "Okami". It's certainly not perfect, but it's fun and beautiful and a great take on the "Zelda" action/adventure with dungeons formula.

Not too far from the beginning of the game, there's a section I found a little tedious. You're given a mission to kill these 5 mischievous demons, and you have to do it at night becuase that's the only time they come out. They also appear randomly throughout the countryside, so you have to go from battle to battle hoping that one of them shows up at that one.

The problem is, the day-night cycle of the game is too quick. You only have about 5 minutes to go through battles looking for these guys, before it turns back to day time. And, of course, the day cycle is longer than the night cycle.

This wouldn't be as big a problem if it weren't for the fact that there's nothing else you can do at this point in the game. You don't have enough powers built up yet to get anywhere else, and there are no other missions that need to be carried out at this point. So during the day, you pretty much just prance around the fields waiting for night to come around. I found this to be a good time to take a bathroom break and just leave the game un-paused.

A very minor grievance, and after that one little bump it's been smooth sailing...but it kind of breaks one of the big rules in gaming - if you're looking for other ways to entertain yourself while playing a video game, there's something wrong.

Dukefrukem
04-03-2009, 04:22 AM
I expect that Ghostbusters game to kick serious ass. Esp on Co-op. RE5 co-op is actually quite fun.

Ezee E
04-03-2009, 04:57 AM
Yeah, Ghostbusters will be a must-buy barring an onslaught of horrible reviews.

Dukefrukem
04-03-2009, 05:12 AM
See, no one knows if that Silent Hill game is real or not. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/rumor-control/909119209/26834102/konami-prepping-silent-hill-remake-for-wii.html)

I Guess we'll find out monday.

Morris Schæffer
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Ghostbusters game looks better than most movie-related games.

Resident Evil 5 is pretty intense. I'm enjoying it a lot!

Dukefrukem
04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Ghostbusters game looks better than most movie-related games.

Resident Evil 5 is pretty intense. I'm enjoying it a lot!

I had mixed feelings about RE5 when i first started playing. I felt it wasn't scary and the writing was particularly worse than any previous RE game. But the co-op is so well done. After you beat the game, you get so many more unlocks and reasons to play through the game again.

megladon8
04-03-2009, 08:01 PM
See, no one knows if that Silent Hill game is real or not. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/rumor-control/909119209/26834102/konami-prepping-silent-hill-remake-for-wii.html)

I Guess we'll find out monday.

The article pretty much definitively says at the bottom that it is real.

Amnesiac
04-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks to those who responded to my question regarding Mass Effect.

Here's another question. Are the locales — in terms of design, atmosphere, ambience, mood, richness of detail, etc. — better in Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil 4?

I don't think anything will trump exploring the mansion and the police station. You know, I haven't played Resident Evil 2 in a long while... there's a lot I remember loving, but there's a lot I just don't remember at all. It'd be great if that one got a graphical re-haul and was re-released.

Dukefrukem
04-04-2009, 06:23 AM
The article pretty much definitively says at the bottom that it is real.

the point was that no one is really sure what to believe. yet

Dukefrukem
04-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks to those who responded to my question regarding Mass Effect.

Here's another question. Are the locales — in terms of design, atmosphere, ambience, mood, richness of detail, etc. — better in Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil 4?

I don't think anything will trump exploring the mansion and the police station. You know, I haven't played Resident Evil 2 in a long while... there's a lot I remember loving, but there's a lot I just don't remember at all. It'd be great if that one got a graphical re-haul and was re-released.

RE4 by far. Im drunk right nowl but by the time tomorrow comes, people will surely back me up, more later.

Morris Schæffer
04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
RE4 by far. Im drunk right nowl but by the time tomorrow comes, people will surely back me up, more later.

You beast!

Winston*
04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I decided to give Persona 3 a proper shot and now I am addicted to this game.

Spaceman Spiff
04-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Do you not like good things?

I severely dislike good things, I'll have you know.

Sycophant
04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I decided to give Persona 3 a proper shot and now I am addicted to this game.

Yes you are. When I was playing it, I just worked, ate, and played that one game for four weeks.

megladon8
04-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Currently Playing: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

One of the greatest side-scrolling actioners of all time.

Enjoy!

Winston*
04-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Yes you are. When I was playing it, I just worked, ate, and played that one game for four weeks.

Argh. Goddamn it developers, you're supposed to put a save point in front of a boss, you dicks.

Sycophant
04-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Argh. Goddamn it developers, you're supposed to put a save point in front of a boss, you dicks.

Where did that happen? I could've sworn P3 was really good about that.

Winston*
04-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Where did that happen? I could've sworn P3 was really good about that.

Boss on the second full moon. There was quite a a lot of cut scene before that. And also I hadn't saved it for a couple of days (they didn't give me the opportunity before the dungeon, like the previous one).

Skitch
04-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Played the first hour of Blacksite: Area 51...so far much better than I expected! Fun stuff...

Ezee E
04-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Boss on the second full moon. There was quite a a lot of cut scene before that. And also I hadn't saved it for a couple of days (they didn't give me the opportunity before the dungeon, like the previous one).
Eek...

I never finished one of the Final Fantasy games because that happened to me. I refused to play three hours of the same thing again.

Sycophant
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM

Ouch.

Tip: if you have to replay a story sequence, hold down the triangle button. It auto-skips text. You'll still have to watch the animation and stuff, but it will save time.

Morris Schæffer
04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
I might give Resident Evil Zero a whirl after I beat part 5 (which continues to be total fun).

Was that game (Zero) a worthy entry in the franchise?

EyesWideOpen
04-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I might give Resident Evil Zero a whirl after I beat part 5 (which continues to be total fun).

Was that game (Zero) a worthy entry in the franchise?

I thought it was fantastic, one of my favorites.

Scar
04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm having fun with Civilization Revolution. Not as in depth as previous versions, but plenty of fun. It was about 1200AD, and I found a temple that had a tank, a TANK in it. Next thing you know, Abraham Lincoln got pissy, so I sent to tank to take out the Americans.

After 3 victories, your unit becomes Veteran, and every 3 victories after that, it gains another ability. At one point my tank was called Ninja Tank for some reason. Damn near called bac0n.

Amnesiac
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I've always been curious about Resident Evil: Zero. I actually forgot it existed for a while, though.

megladon8
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM
"RE0" was great. I liked it better than the GC remake of the original game. It handled the team dynamic really well, and I'd say it's the last of the true survival-horror "RE" games.

"Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles" for the Wii begins with the same train sequence that "RE0" began with...but it's much more frustrating.

Winston*
04-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Eek...

I never finished one of the Final Fantasy games because that happened to me. I refused to play three hours of the same thing again.

It was okay. It was only like half an hour. Played through it in picture in picture while I was watching Baby Mama.

Sycophant
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
So, Persona 3's story begins on April 7, 2009, which was yesterday. There's a party of me that's very tempted to start a new game and play one day per day for the next year.

Of course, I'll either ultimately give up or just start playing it with dedication again, but I think I'm gonna start up a new file tonight.

Winston*
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Why don't you just get the sequel, Sycophant? Instead of WASTING YOUR LIFE.

Sycophant
04-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Dude, I played and beat Persona 4 back in December-January.

Then I beat Persona 3: The Answer at the end of January.

I'm currently making my way through Digital Devil Saga 2.

I'm actually aching to replay both P3 and P4, since P3 has become my FAVORITE GAME EVAR.

Sycophant
04-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Though I do have a copy of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment I should probably play.

The thing with the Persona 3 realish-time play would be that not doing it would be passing up an opporunity to do what would quite possibly be the DORKIEST THING I will ever do with my life outside of writing Rescue Rangers fanscripts.

Winston*
04-08-2009, 09:49 PM
It's stupid how you can't do anything much in the evenings if you don't go to Tartarus.

Sycophant
04-08-2009, 09:50 PM
It's stupid how you can't do anything much in the evenings if you don't go to Tartarus.

Are you playing FES or the original release?

Eventually, there are a couple social links you can do at the mall (social link availability is better balanced in FES). Or you can stat grind at the cafe or karaoke.

Winston*
04-08-2009, 09:52 PM
The original.

Sycophant
04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
The original.

Ah. You are primarily missing out, then, on the ability to dress characters up in outfits for their Tartarus adventures, the ability to change the music in Tartarus (after a certain point), and things to do at night besides Tartarus.

Oh, and one of my favorite social links, not available till way late in the game.

Sycophant
04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Popped in P3 again last night and was gonna start up a new save to play day--per-day, but after about 15 minutes, I was thinking about Digital Devil Saga 2 and how I could be making my way through the Airport dungeon and learning some skills there. Then after that, I've got a backlog of something like 40 games, some of which I'm sure I'll never really get to.

So I put it down and will save my replay for a later day.

Ezee E
04-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Close Range -- A Game of Simply shooting people in the face (http://www.break.com/tv-shows/onion-news-network/hot-new-video-game-consists-solely-of-shooting-people-point-blank-in-the-face-699701.html)

:)

shaun
04-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Close Range -- A Game of Simply shooting people in the face (http://www.break.com/tv-shows/onion-news-network/hot-new-video-game-consists-solely-of-shooting-people-point-blank-in-the-face-699701.html)

:)Complete with playable demo. Awesome.

http://www.closerangegame.com

D_Davis
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
My 360 died last night just as I was about to get hundred-hand slapped by E. Honda.

The power of Dan's psikyo-fu hosed my Xbox.

:(

Ezee E
04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Started Resident Evil 5. Died quickly by ax to head.

EvilShoe
04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Bioshock 2 gameplay footage:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/18945/1/MCP-DROWN-IN-THE-FIRST-BIOSHOCK-2-FOOTAGE/Page1.html

It's 10 years after the events of the first game. Jack has killed all the people who ran the underwater city of Rapture and taken away the Little Sisters. Rapture continued on afterwards but it was even more of a hellhole than before, without any source of ADAM. ADAM was what changed everything for the bizarre underwater city- drawn from stem cells harvested from a sea slug that enabled scientists to overwrite the human genome and change what it means to be human, it soon became an obsession for all its inhabitants. Girls called Little Sisters were raised and implanted with the slugs to be a steady source of ADAM for the city, and now that they're gone all those that are left are fighting for whatever scraps can be found.

Until a Big Sister shows up, bringing back Little Sisters who had escaped to the real world. You play a renegade Big Daddy who's fighting to get his share of ADAM.

I was hoping the game'd take place outside of Rapture... oh well.

megladon8
04-10-2009, 08:17 PM
My 360 died last night just as I was about to get hundred-hand slapped by E. Honda.

The power of Dan's psikyo-fu hosed my Xbox.

:(

That sucks.

RROD, or something else?

Well, fear not - Microsoft handles it all really well.

D_Davis
04-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Single red light - some kind of hardware failure.

Oh well.

I was spending way too much time on SFIV, so it will be a great break from games for a while.

Skitch
04-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I was hoping the game'd take place outside of Rapture... oh well.

I was skeptical at first of keeping it in Rapture, but Game Informer did a big article on it this month, and I'm convinced. Great article...sounds like a winner. We'll see...

EyesWideOpen
04-12-2009, 08:17 AM
My brother is on leave and staying at my house for a few days so I decided to buy Resident Evil 5 so we could play some co-op. We played through it straight from beginning to end on friday night-saturday morning and our play time was 8 hours. Today we played through it again with unlimited sniper rifle for me and unlimited magnum for him and beat it in under 5 hours. Such a fun game, we spent a ton of time just maxing out our weapons.

Acapelli
04-12-2009, 08:41 AM
oh man re5 has 2 player co-op?

looks like i'll have to get it

Morris Schæffer
04-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Dave Arneson has died.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58082

I'm not devastated on a personal level, but he did seem like a rather important dude.

D_Davis
04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
And Yet it Moves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QLp7q18iZk&feature=related

Amazing.

Now that my 360 is bricked, looks like I'll be spending more time on the PC. This looks extraordinary.

D_Davis
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh man...you guys just have to play And Yet it Moves

http://www.andyetitmoves.net/

Free demo, game is only $20. I'm buying it now.

http://www.andyetitmoves.net/screens/600/04-between-flowers.jpg

http://www.andyetitmoves.net/screens/600/05-inbetween-tentacles.jpg

http://www.andyetitmoves.net/screens/600/09-schraegerWald.jpg

Mara
04-13-2009, 04:20 PM
And Yet it Moves

Is it about Galileo?

Stay Puft
04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Oh man...you guys just have to play And Yet it Moves

Yeah, I downloaded this a while ago, but haven't found time to play it.

In terms of indie games, lately I've been trying to get into Spelunky. Only messed with it a little so far - seems cool, but I'm still trying to figure out bits of the gameplay system.

D_Davis
04-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes!

Thanks to the help of a towel, I have successfully turned my single red light 360 failure into a three red light failure, which means that MS will fix under the extended warranty!

Thanks towel!

bac0n
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes!

Thanks to the help of a towel, I have successfully turned my single red light 360 failure into a three red light failure, which means that MS will fix under the extended warranty!

Thanks towel!

Lemme guess. You need to have purchased the extended warranty for MS to fix your XBox should the seemingly inevitable Red Ring O' Death occur...

D_Davis
04-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Lemme guess. You need to have purchased the extended warranty for MS to fix your XBox should the seemingly inevitable Red Ring O' Death occur...

No - they extended the warrant on all 360s ONLY for the 3-red light problem.

At first I only had 1 red light.

So, I wrapped my 360 in a towel and left it on for awhile so it would overheat, thus creating the 3 red light problem.

:)

So now, they should fix for free.

D_Davis
04-13-2009, 09:49 PM
In terms of indie games, lately I've been trying to get into Spelunky. Only messed with it a little so far - seems cool, but I'm still trying to figure out bits of the gameplay system.

Isn't this basically Cave Story meets Nethack (a rogue-like)?

Looks pretty cool.

Lasse
04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks towel!

A hitchhiker should always bring his towel.

D_Davis
04-14-2009, 12:09 AM
A hitchhiker should always bring his towel.

Exactly.

Ezee E
04-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Playing through Resident Evil 5 pretty easily. Its kinda boring this time around. Been there, done that.

EyesWideOpen
04-14-2009, 01:30 AM
Heads up for anyone unaware. Amazon started selling XBLA games a week or so ago. And they have been having sales on them. Galaga Legions was $5 (half price) but that sale is over. The current sale is Pac-Man: CE for $5, Doom for $2.97, and Undertow for $5.

I already own the other two but I took the plunge on Doom, who knows I might want to play it again someday.

Justin
04-14-2009, 02:30 AM
Heads up for anyone unaware. Amazon started selling XBLA games a week or so ago. And they have been having sales on them. Galaga Legions was $5 (half price) but that sale is over. The current sale is Pac-Man: CE for $5, Doom for $2.97, and Undertow for $5.

I already own the other two but I took the plunge on Doom, who knows I might want to play it again someday.

Thanks for the heads up man, just bought Doom as well.

Morris Schæffer
04-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Batman: AA video

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_10530_en.html

Still pretty damn encouraging stuff!

And Terminator: Salvation:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_10533_en.html

Looking pretty solid too for a movie tie-in.

Winston*
04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Persona 3 can be such a cunt. Some random enemy kills you in one hit when you're on full health. It's not fair. There should be save points on every level of the stupid dungeon. I think I'm going to take a break from this game for a while so I don't break it in half.

D_Davis
04-17-2009, 02:43 PM
And Terminator: Salvation:

Looking pretty solid too for a movie tie-in.

Grin seems like a developer to watch. First the Bionic Commando remake, then the new BC, plus Wanted (which I hear is fun) and now Terminator, which also looks solid.

Amnesiac
04-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the commercially flush world of ultra-violent video games. I once watched my son Dylan play Grand Theft Auto, asking him at one point what kind of sick fuck would dream up the violent stuff in that game, but this is far worse. It's satanic. I'm asking HE readers to watch this footage (i.e., which is somehow linked to www.projectmanhunt.com) and try to convey in 25 or 30 words how it makes them feel.

This is the video he is referring to (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuhX5AmjuA). And here's the original post (http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/04/decline_and_fal.php) from Hollywood-Elsewhere.

D_Davis
04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Condemning violence in a video game while using language like "sick fuck" and "The guy who created this needs to be put in a damp dungeon, his leg chained to the floor, a pile of straw to sleep on. For life."

Nice.

Gotta love hypocrisy.

number8
04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Please pay no attention to Jeff Wells.

megladon8
04-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Something huge is coming to the Wii (http://wii.ign.com/articles/973/973423p1.html)

What could it bii?? What would it bii??

Spun Lepton
04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Still playing Fallout 3.

God damn, those Deathclaws are walking nightmares! Why must they spawn SO FREQUENTLY? I remember first running into the Giant Radscorpions and thinking those were insane, but they got nothing on the fucking Deathclaws. Most of my weapons barely do any damage to them, missle launchers and grenades are useless because they're on top of me before I can even change my equipment.

Anybody have any suggestions aside from backtracking feverishly and shooting it with my shotgun until one of us dies? (About 50/50 at this point.) My sneak skill is piss-poor, so I need to take them on like a tank.

megladon8
04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Still playing Fallout 3.

Matthew Perry says he ended up having to take medication for the pain in his hands due to playing this so much :)

God damn, those Deathclaws are walking nightmares! Why must they spawn SO FREQUENTLY? I remember first running into the Giant Radscorpions and thinking those were insane, but they got nothing on the fucking Deathclaws. Most of my weapons barely do any damage to them, missle launchers and grenades are useless because they're on top of me before I can even change my equipment.

Anybody have any suggestions aside from backtracking feverishly and shooting it with my shotgun until one of us dies? (About 50/50 at this point.) My sneak skill is piss-poor, so I need to take them on like a tank.

Yeah, I absolutely hate the Death Claws.

I always just whipped out the Alien Blaster which could kill them in about 2 shots, but I also hated wasting the ammo for that weapon.

Here's an IGN video that shows you where and how to get the Alien Blaster. (http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/882301/fallout-3/videos/ignstrategize_fallout3_112608. html)

Spun Lepton
04-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks, meg. I also have a plasma rifle. I wonder how that will do against them. I'll go on the hunt for the alien weapon tonight or tomorrow.

number8
04-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Top 10 Game Tunes Covers (http://www.bingegamer.net/2009/top-ten-covers-of-classic-gaming-tunes/)

#5 is wow.

megladon8
04-18-2009, 04:47 AM
Thanks, meg. I also have a plasma rifle. I wonder how that will do against them. I'll go on the hunt for the alien weapon tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, I levelled up in my ability to repair energy weapons, then collected a bunch of plasma rifles and levelled one up to max.

It was pretty awesome. I love how the enemies turn to piles of green goo :)

Amnesiac
04-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Something huge is coming to the Wii (http://wii.ign.com/articles/973/973423p1.html)

What could it bii?? What would it bii??

I really hope it's the next Zelda title.

Last E3 was really underwhelming, so I hope they actually do have a bigger presence this year.

Spun Lepton
04-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I levelled up in my ability to repair energy weapons, then collected a bunch of plasma rifles and levelled one up to max.

It was pretty awesome. I love how the enemies turn to piles of green goo :)

The Fallout wiki strongly recommended using the dart gun to slow the Deathclaw and then shoot it over and over with The Terrible Shotgun. I had the schematics for the dart gun, so I went to the minefield, collected the parts, and built it. I also already have The Terrible Shotgun from cleaning out a Raider camp.

Works like a charm. The Deathclaw slows to a crawl when you shoot it with the dart gun. Then you just blast it in the head over and over.

Speaking of schematics. Most of the weapons I've put together have been novel, but not very powerful. The Nuka-Grenade is probably the most useful schematic I've used. Those suckers pack a punch. The railroad spike rifle is funny, and probably second most powerful. The Rock-It Launcher is, again, novel, but not very powerful and heavy as hell. Admittedly, it's pretty funny to see a guy get his head taken off by a flying plate or bone saw. I was disappointed that the Shishkabob was a burning sword. I had no use for it, although it did seem pretty powerful.

megladon8
04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
I really hope it's the next Zelda title.

Last E3 was really underwhelming, so I hope they actually do have a bigger presence this year.

I wonder what the chances are that it might be a new "Resident Evil" game?

My dream come true would be a new "Metroid Prime", but I doubt that'll happen. I was a little disappointed with "Corruption", and I'd love to see it get a truly brilliant Wii entry. Part of me thinks I shouldn't expect a new game in that series any time soon, though.

Sycophant
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Didn't Retro Studios say they were done with the Metroid franchise? If it was brought back again, it would be someone else doing that, and you might like that even less.

Also, Capcom just made a whole slew of Resident Evil Wii announcements about a month ago. I wouldn't expect anything on that front.

E3's a weird animal. It's more a trade show at heart than it is a gamer's convention, so the gamers get all pissed off when they talk about sales figures and what's selling instead of the lolhardcore titles "real gamers" want.

Whatever it is, I just hope it's good and isn't rushed out the door. Guess we'll find out in about six weeks' time what's in store.

megladon8
04-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I did not know that about Retro and "Metroid". That's too bad. I wonder what they'll be moving on to - and whatever it is, I hope they bring the same TLC so we get another supremely high quality game.

I'm stumped as to what this game could be, then.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about a new "Zelda" game.

Watashi
04-19-2009, 05:23 AM
I am replaying WWF No Mercy on N64.

Best. Wrestling. Game. Ever.

Ezee E
04-19-2009, 11:42 AM

Easily.

bac0n
04-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Easily.

The Japanese version of it, Virtual Pro-Wrestling 2, is even better.

megladon8
04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
The two wrestling games I played like mad on my N64 were "WWF: War Zone" and "WCW/NWO: Revenge".

In the first, I loved making my own wrestlers. My favorite thing was making a massively fat wrestler who could move like a little guy.

And in the latter, I was always Rey Mysterio, Jr.

But the games that got the most play from me overall on the N64 would be...

Goldeneye
Super Mario 64
F-Zero X
Turok 1&2

Ezee E
04-19-2009, 08:51 PM
The best thing about No Mercy is that almost anyone in existance had a template available online, and it would only take about 15 minutes to make them. The Legends of Wrestlemania takes FOREVER to create someone new.

Lucky
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Top 10 Game Tunes Covers (http://www.bingegamer.net/2009/top-ten-covers-of-classic-gaming-tunes/)

#5 is wow.

I nominate this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJMujiJ-UQ).

megladon8
04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
I think when I get home I'm going to start playing through "GTA: Vice City" again.

That's still the very best of the series, IMO. Endless fun to be had there.

Ivan Drago
04-20-2009, 02:13 AM

YES.

bac0n
04-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Kinda sad that the closest thing we got to a rassling game that used same engine as WWF No Mercy was the first Def Jam game. Nothing since.

I would really love a game that plays like WWF No Mercy, but with more updated graphics, and full stereo surround with which to enjoy the lovely ringing sound of ramming X-Pac's face repeatedly into the ring bell.

Ezee E
04-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Kinda sad that the closest thing we got to a rassling game that used same engine as WWF No Mercy was the first Def Jam game. Nothing since.

I would really love a game that plays like WWF No Mercy, but with more updated graphics, and full stereo surround with which to enjoy the lovely ringing sound of ramming X-Pac's face repeatedly into the ring bell.
Legends of Wrestlemania has pretty simple controls and comes close, but there's a few annoying bits with the submissions and having to smash buttons fast to get out of a pin.

Nonetheless, it's the best wrestling game since No Mercy.

Sycophant
04-20-2009, 05:59 AM
I finished Digital Devil Saga 2 last night. Pretty solid. The first game was a bit better. But together, they tell a pretty good (if, ultimately, surprisingly typical) story and they tell it well, and each one's a nice 30-hour RPG.

Today, I started up Odin Sphere, which I've heard gets tiresome, but I sunk 3 hours into it and had a blast all through.

Also fought my favorite Colossus thus far, #8, which was the anklyosaur-looking bastard in the tall coliseum. Good stuff.

Morris Schæffer
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Didn't Retro Studios say they were done with the Metroid franchise? If it was brought back again, it would be someone else doing that, and you might like that even less.

Let's hope this is 500% true.

Sorry Meg. I sold my Wii. ;)

In other news, Resident Evil 5 continues to be a staggering blast to play!

I'm now in the underground temple with the laserbeams created by sunlight.

Saya
04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
New Fallout game next year. :)

Bethesda Softworks announced that Obsidian Entertainment is developing a brand-new Fallout game titled Fallout: New Vegas, to release next year on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Gamasutra was at Bethesda's event in London to hear the game announced by marketing and PR VP Pete Hines, who provided few specifics on the game's engine, gameplay or perspective -- but did note the game's neither a Fallout sequel nor a spin-off.

"It's not Fallout Tactics -- it's not Brotherhood Of Steel," said Hines. "It has no impact on what [Fallout EP] Todd Howard and his guys are planning."

A number of Obsidian staff are veterans of Black Isle's original Fallout games. "We've really been enjoying working with [Obsidian] on it," Hines said.

"That is all we're going to say about it right now," he added.

D_Davis
04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Heh..just came here to post the same thing!

(Morning Kotaku rader?)

bac0n
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Legends of Wrestlemania has pretty simple controls and comes close, but there's a few annoying bits with the submissions and having to smash buttons fast to get out of a pin.

Nonetheless, it's the best wrestling game since No Mercy.

There were a couple of great Japanese games that were never released stateside that I would give that title to, such as the FirePro and King of Colosseum games. Man, those were fun, but catered more to the hardcore wrestling nerd that I was at the time, rather than the more casual WWE fan that plays games like the SmackDown series.

As for Legends of WM - I might check out the demo if I get the chance. I've pretty much lost all interest in rasslin' these days, so it's pretty low on the to-do list.

D_Davis
04-20-2009, 02:44 PM
The final match of the international SFIV tourny here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xev531_uB_M&feature=player_embedded

Justin Wong (Rufus) gets slammed by Daigo (Ryu), of course.

Daigo's skill at SF is beyond amazing.

Saya
04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Heh..just came here to post the same thing!

(Morning Kotaku rader?)

Haha, nope I just read it on NeoGAF. I usually get all my gaming news from there.

Dukefrukem
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
New Fallout game next year. :)

saw that. so not interested. Playing Fallout3 now and not very impressed. I know I'm in the minority.

Ezee E
04-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Hmm. I'll all for new Fallouts, especially since I think the DLC stories are a bit lame, all action with not much story.

D_Davis
04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Back in the early '00s, X-Entertainment was the place to go for funny crap in the internet.

They used to review arcades and game rooms, and this one is a classic:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0887/

megladon8
04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
There's also a "Fallout" MMORPG in the works.

Count me out for that one, but "New Vegas" sounds like it could be cool.

I'm still dying to know about this huge Wii game coming this year. I'll have to mark it on my calendar to make sure I have $60 disposable cash this fall/winter

D_Davis
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
There's also a "Fallout" MMORPG in the works.

More than likely, this is canceled.

megladon8
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Really? I thought I read some about some progress on it just the other day.

May have been an old article.

Amnesiac
04-21-2009, 01:59 AM
I finally have access to my 360 again. I think I'll give the Resident Evil 5 demo a try and anything else that might be worth a look from the Marketplace.

Spun Lepton
04-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Really? I thought I read some about some progress on it just the other day.

May have been an old article.

Bethesda threatened to sue Activision if they attempted to go through with it.

EDIT: Sorry, Interplay, not Activision.

D_Davis
04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
The below video is of the (reportedly) hardest boss ever in a shmup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nscP9QpXoFM

My God - talk about bullet hell.

I wish all these great J-shmups on the the 360 would come out here in the US. The Japanese 360 is giving the Sega Saturn and DC a run for their money in the shmup department.

Dukefrukem
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM

I haven't heard it was. links?

D_Davis
04-21-2009, 04:36 PM
I haven't heard it was. links?

Saw this on Kotaku last week.

http://kotaku.com/5214020/bethesda-to-take-action-against-interplay-over-fallout-mmo

While it doesn't state that it is outright canceled, given the circumstances surrounding the development, the current state of the economy, and the fact that most traditional subscription-based MMOs fail to gain a foothold against the WoW juggernaut, I predict the Fallout MMO will not see the light of day.

number8
04-21-2009, 06:15 PM
It needs to be said that the first two Def Jam games are two of the best wrestling games ever.

Dukefrukem
04-21-2009, 07:13 PM
It needs to be said that the first two Def Jam games are two of the best wrestling games ever.

haha no. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCW_vs._nWo:_World_Tour)

bac0n
04-21-2009, 07:19 PM

I enjoyed the first one cuz it played so much like WWF No Mercy, but the second one bored me quickly and I wound up selling not too long after picking it up.

And, no Duke, WCW Revenge is not the best Wrestling Game. It's not even the best WCW Wrestling Game.

Dukefrukem
04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I enjoyed the first one cuz it played so much like WWF No Mercy, but the second one bored me quickly and I wound up selling not too long after picking it up.

And, no Duke, WCW Revenge is not the best Wrestling Game. It's not even the best WCW Wrestling Game.

Revenge?

D_Davis
04-21-2009, 07:31 PM
You're all wrong.

Best wrestling game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xcHtI4U9iM

bac0n
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Revenge?

Oops. Should have typed WCW vs. NWO World Tour. :eek:

bac0n
04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
You're all wrong.

Best wrestling game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xcHtI4U9iM

HAhaha! I remember that game. They actually made a MUSCLE game for the GameCube which was sorta fun. Sorta.

Justin
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
I personally think the second Def Jam game is easily one of the best games to be released on the Xbox, my roommates and I play that game all of the time. Just so much fun throwing Snoop Dogg into an Escalade.

megladon8
04-22-2009, 03:14 AM
While I still haven't tried out "SF IV", here's a Capcom fighting game I can really get excited about! (http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/26856213/new-marvel-vs-capcom-2-teased.html)

I played the first at an arcade on campus nearly every day in my last year.

number8
04-22-2009, 08:05 AM
I personally think the second Def Jam game is easily one of the best games to be released on the Xbox, my roommates and I play that game all of the time. Just so much fun throwing Snoop Dogg into an Escalade.

Word.

Morris Schæffer
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM

That's insane!!!!!!!! :eek:

Morris Schæffer
04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
While I still haven't tried out "SF IV", here's a Capcom fighting game I can really get excited about! (http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/26856213/new-marvel-vs-capcom-2-teased.html)

I played the first at an arcade on campus nearly every day in my last year.

I have the DC version and it sure has an amazing roster of characters! I espesh liked Jill Valentine summoning an undead.

Ezee E
04-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I just played a Contra-like game on my cell phone. Only it had Chuck Norris and I could pick up jeeps to swing at infidels.

Dukefrukem
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I played the new Left 4 Dead survival pack last night for 5 hours. It was good to play video games again. Hadn't played in 2 weeks.

Ezee E
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I played the new Left 4 Dead survival pack last night for 5 hours. It was good to play video games again. Hadn't played in 2 weeks.
No new map was disappointing.

Survival Mode is great though.

bac0n
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM

Who needs a new map when you have Blood Harvest? :cool:

Dukefrukem
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM

There's a new map for Survival Mode. It's fantastic.

Ezee E
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
There's a new map for Survival Mode. It's fantastic.
Oh? I shall play this immediately.

D_Davis
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Old school Sierra adventure games: play them in your browser, for free

http://sarien.net/

And BONUS! It's multiplayer, with chatting.

Hilarious and fun.

Sycophant
04-22-2009, 04:39 PM
That's pretty awesome. I'm gonna have to reacquaint myself with all the old Sierra titles I had/watched/read about when I was a kid and see how well they hold up. The only one I ever got very far into was King's Quest VI and I didn't get very far into that at all.

Sycophant
04-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Guys, I'm enjoying the hell out of Odin Sphere.

Dukefrukem
04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Oh? I shall play this immediately.

it's nice. It's called the Lighthouse. Very fun and very hard.

D_Davis
04-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Guys, I'm enjoying the hell out of Odin Sphere.

Seems like your type of game. (I don't mean this in any kind of condescending way - it genuinely seems like a game that you would enjoy.)

Beyond the first hour, I hated every thing about it.

Totally not my kind of game.

Lasse
04-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Uhm... why would someone create a boss like that? I mean, shouldn't one be able to beat a game?

megladon8
04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Uhm... why would someone create a boss like that? I mean, shouldn't one be able to beat a game?

This is how I feel, too.

I like a game to be challenging, but that's just stupid.

Dukefrukem
04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Like Jaws for NES?

Ezee E
04-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, screw that.

D_Davis
04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
I love bullet-hell games, but, yes, that one looks a little extreme.

Sycophant
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm pretty bad at bullet hell shmups. There was a little shmup side game in Digital Devil Saga 2 and I palyed it for like 2 hours and didn't even get a twentieth of the way to the mimumum "high score" setting. But I want to be better. I look at that and I see a fucking mountain to be conquered.

Stay Puft
04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
That's not even the last boss in the game, as I recall. And there is in fact a video out there of someone beating that boss without losing a life.

I don't want to say it's not hard, because I don't have any skill myself, but it looks worse than it plays. A lot of what you see is simply pattern memorization. Despite that, they're a lot of fun.

number8
04-23-2009, 12:43 AM

Well, the guy in the video did beat the boss, so I don't see how your waaaaah works. :P

bac0n
04-23-2009, 05:51 AM
After playing some more SF4 online battles and getting my ass handed to me about 75% of the time, I've come to the conclusion that I really need to stay offline. All I'm accomplishing is making a fool of myself.

Lasse
04-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Well, the guy in the video did beat the boss, so I don't see how your waaaaah works. :P

But he used continues, didn't he?

And after watching the video a few times yesterday, I have that creepy voice, and especially the laugh in the back of my mind most of the time. :frustrated:

Maybe it's just because I dislike games like those. I just don't have the patience.

D_Davis
04-23-2009, 02:42 PM
After playing some more SF4 online battles and getting my ass handed to me about 75% of the time, I've come to the conclusion that I really need to stay offline. All I'm accomplishing is making a fool of myself.

Play as Dan - then even when you lose, you win.

bac0n
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Play as Dan - then even when you lose, you win.

I might just start having to.

Amnesiac
04-23-2009, 08:51 PM
So, I haven't seen Gears of War 2 get discussed here in a while.

What was the consensus on that one?

I'm thinking about renting it, but I'll only have access to my 360 for another 10 days or so and I don't know if I'd actually be able to beat it with all my other commitments.

Spun Lepton
04-23-2009, 08:51 PM

Sounds like a marked improvement over the 100% losing rate you had when you played SF2 against me, punk! :P

/ah, the good ol' days
//but seriously

I played some Mortal Kombat online once upon a time, and, yes, 15 year old kids with brand new reflexes would wipe the floor with me the vast majority of the time.

/get off my lawn

Dukefrukem
04-24-2009, 04:45 PM
So, I haven't seen Gears of War 2 get discussed here in a while.

What was the consensus on that one?

I'm thinking about renting it, but I'll only have access to my 360 for another 10 days or so and I don't know if I'd actually be able to beat it with all my other commitments.

Its the same as GoW1 only bosses are more epic.

Lasse
04-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I just wated to say Football Manager games FTW.

That is all.

megladon8
04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Was playing "GoW2" last night with some friends. We played Horde Mode, which is great fun.

lovejuice
04-26-2009, 01:02 AM

This is how I feel, too.

I like a game to be challenging, but that's just stupid.

I love bullet-hell games, but, yes, that one looks a little extreme.
i might be wrong, but it looks like arcade game. so as long as you have coins to spend, it's possible to beat that boss.

and i think, the bullet pattern is chaotically cool.

Acapelli
04-26-2009, 02:22 AM
went bargain bin hunting since gamestop has that "buy 2 get 1" going. i found elite beat ages for $10 and got it since it's a game i've been meaning to play. its fun as hell, and i even like the song selection

i also picked up haze and dark sector. haze for it being a two player co-op title for only $13 from a developer that made one of my favorite fps's (that being timesplitters 3), even if the reviews are mostly terrible. i want to give them a chance and at that price i could bite

Dead & Messed Up
04-26-2009, 06:11 AM
I picked up Super Street Fighter II for my SNES today. It's surreal to know that I rented this game fifteen years ago.

Jesus Christ, time flies. And yet, my SNES still works.

Winston*
04-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Finished Persona 3. Thank God. Go back to your watery hell, Goggleor.

EyesWideOpen
04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm not a fan of stealth games or Metal Gear Solid but I'm giving MSG4 a shot. I'm trying to play some of the PS3 exclusives so we'll see how it goes.

Winston*
04-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Anyone played the demo for the latest Red Faction game? It's awesome. You can use a sledgehammer to just smash the shit out of everything.

Amnesiac
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Anyone played the demo for the latest Red Faction game? It's awesome. You can use a sledgehammer to just smash the shit out of everything.

Is it on the 360 Marketplace?

Sycophant
04-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Go back to your watery hell, Goggleor.

I have no idea what this means.

Scar
04-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm not a fan of stealth games or Metal Gear Solid but I'm giving MSG4 a shot. I'm trying to play some of the PS3 exclusives so we'll see how it goes.

MGS4 is a helluva lot less stealthy than its predecessors.

Winston*
04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Is it on the 360 Marketplace?
Don't know. It's on the PSN though

I have no idea what this means.

It's an obscure non sequitur refererence to the video game Psychonauts.

D_Davis
04-27-2009, 12:21 AM
My 360 has been fixed, and it was sent back to me on Saturday...

Should be here in a few days.

Man have I ever missed SFIV.

megladon8
04-27-2009, 01:00 AM
My 360 has been fixed, and it was sent back to me on Saturday...

Should be here in a few days.

Man have I ever missed SFIV.

Glad they fixed it and everything.

I thought Microsoft was really good about this, both times it happened to me.

Dead & Messed Up
04-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I picked up Super Street Fighter II for my SNES today. It's surreal to know that I rented this game fifteen years ago.

Jesus Christ, time flies. And yet, my SNES still works.

My friends and I played thirty rounds of this last night. Insane. My roommate Sarah was waxing us all as Chun Li. Then I put her in her place with some well-timed HA-DO-KEN!

megladon8
04-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey, I think I asked this question before so forgive me... but is Gears 2 a short game? I'm only going to have access to my 360 for a few more days and I figured I could make use of the thing and try out a quick game.

Yeah, I think the campaign is comparable in length to the original (so like 6-8 hours).

But if you want a bloody brilliant quick game, play "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" if you haven't already.

Scar
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I picked up Dragonball Z Burst Limit for $15 awhile ago, and picked up Soul Calibur 4 for $10 on Sunday. Both are definately getting some play when friends are over! They are both rather fun.

Skitch
04-27-2009, 08:30 PM

Skitch. Want.

Morris Schæffer
04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Gears of War 2 had a hideously pitiful final boss battle. Otherwise, pretty epic game!

Amnesiac
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I decided to try Gears 2 out. It's been pretty fun so far. I'm at the run-down facility/warehouse/whatever where that "semisentient" security system, Niles, is talking to you and you're shutting down all the security lasers.

Going inside that giant worm was pretty neat. I haven't seen that sort of idea explored in a game since Lord Jabu Jabu back in Ocarina of Time (one of the better parts of that game).

megladon8
04-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I never heard what that "huge game announcement" for the Wii was (the one that's supposed to be coming out later this year), and now I can't find anything on it.

Anyone read anything more about what that is?

Sycophant
04-29-2009, 12:21 AM
With E3 a month away, I'd expect you've got at least four weeks to go before you hear much more about whatever this announcement is supposed to be.

Meanwhile, I preordered Muramasa: The Demon Blade today.

Hoping I pick up the pace on Odin Sphere soon. But BSG keeps eating my evenings.

But Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is awesome. I don't know how long the game's going to end up being, but I'd wager I'm about a third to halfway done with it. This game does atmosphere very well.

megladon8
04-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Ah, for some reason I thought the announcement was 6 days away, so I thought it was out already.

And yeah, "Symphony of the Night" is a great game.

Morris Schæffer
04-29-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_10658_en.html

An incredible boss battle from Capcom's Lost Planet 2.

I recall playing the demo for Lost Planet eons ago and thinking it was insanely astounding. Then the reviews came and for some reason decided to skip it.

Is there a consensus on that one here?

Dukefrukem
04-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Lost planet sucked. The story made zero sense and there was no point in caring about the characters. I suspect they realized the mistakes they made and improved on the 2nd game.

Morris Schæffer
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Lost planet sucked. The story made zero sense and there was no point in caring about the characters. I suspect they realized the mistakes they made and improved on the 2nd game.

Does anybody really ever care about videogame characters? In Gears of War 2? In Call of Duty 4? in GTA IV?

But yeah, I heard about the wobbly story.

Ezee E
04-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Does anybody really ever care about videogame characters? In Gears of War 2? In Call of Duty 4? in GTA IV?

But yeah, I heard about the wobbly story.
I would like to care about them. Fallout 3 had some interesting characters such as the cyborg on the run, and the child that you rescue from the scorpions. Final Fantasy kept me playing for hours because I wanted to see where the story went (unfortunatly, I'd get frustrated by not saving; dying; and never playing again).

So, yes, character development has its advantages in video games.

Sycophant
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
I want more games that make me cry. Should be possible.

Morris Schæffer
04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
So, yes, character development has its advantages in video games.

Oh no doubt. And developers should keep trying!

D_Davis
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I want more games that make me cry. Should be possible.

The Countdown to Tears (http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6362)

"Countdown to Tears"

Five years ago, prophecies by Steven Spielberg and EALA's Neil Young charted a course of new, untold emotional resonance, and the future of video games was irrevocably changed. As Game Developers Conference 2009 approaches, the clock ticks ever closer to the video game singularity: Prepare for the countdown to tears.

Neil Young - Can Games Make You Cry? (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135770.html)

monolith94
04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Does anybody really ever care about videogame characters?

Ummm... yes?

For example, in Myth 2, if you survived a map, all of your surviving warriors went on to the next map with you, leading them to become more experienced over time. You really start to care about your soldiers if you can't simply replace them with just-as-good clones.

D_Davis
04-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Ummm... yes?

For example, in Myth 2, if you survived a map, all of your surviving warriors went on to the next map with you, leading them to become more experienced over time. You really start to care about your soldiers if you can't simply replace them with just-as-good clones.

But is this you caring about the characters, as in their personalities, their arcs, their desires (like you would in a book or movie), or is this you caring about the system in which they operate - if they die it makes the game harder for you because you have to build up other pieces.

It's like chess. Do you care about losing the Queen because she is a queen, a married woman, important to the kingdom, or because she is a piece with great offensive capabilities?

bac0n
04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
When I was building up my character in the MMO City of Heroes, I had a tremendous amount of time invested in him by the time I stopped playing - many hundreds of hours worth of leveling, tweaking, filling in backstory, rounding out his powerbase, so you're damned right I cared about him.

D_Davis
04-29-2009, 04:57 PM
When I was building up my character in the MMO City of Heroes, I had a tremendous amount of time invested in him by the time I stopped playing - many hundreds of hours worth of leveling, tweaking, filling in backstory, rounding out his powerbase, so you're damned right I cared about him.

MMOs offer up a very different set of experiences and circumstances because of the time investment and the social aspect.

Did you care more about your time investment, gear, and lelves, or the meta-story you built up around your character?

Did you ever actually role-play as the character, or did you just play the game as you using your character only as a visual avatar?

Sycophant
04-29-2009, 04:57 PM
But is this you caring about the characters, as in their personalities, their arcs, their desires (like you would in a book or movie), or is this you caring about the system in which they operate - if they die it makes the game harder for you because you have to build up other pieces.

I can't speak for Myth 2, but it seems to me that having a mixture of both "traditional" narrative elements connecting the player to the character and impacting the way the game is played is the best way to establish an emotional connection with the player.

Actually, I've played quite a few JRPGs that do this well, particularly Persona 3 and Persona 4.

monolith94
04-29-2009, 06:19 PM

It's like chess. Do you care about losing the Queen because she is a queen, a married woman, important to the kingdom, or because she is a piece with great offensive capabilities?

I think it's a little bit of both. First of all, the units in Myth 2 are given names, which is remarkably different than most RTS games. In addition, the inter-level storytelling, which tells the tale of the army and its leader and the people they meet from level to level, supports the care you come to feel for your men. The two spheres, interactive game-play and passive story-watching, build upon each other. Making Myth 2 one of the best games ever made, but now I digress.

monolith94
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Also, I checked out the trailer for final fantasy 13's gameplay, and I just have one question...

Where's the fantasy?

Ezee E
04-29-2009, 06:22 PM
We are getting into the aspect of video games that is the main weakness when people discuss the idea of video games as the next wave of storytelling.

monolith94
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Did I cry in Myth 2? No, of course not. But you don't have to cry to care, and you don't have to cry to be moved.

bac0n
04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
MMOs offer up a very different set of experiences and circumstances because of the time investment and the social aspect.This is true. It is not uncommon for people to continue playing a particular MMO for years at a time. Just take a look at WoW - there are people with 4+ years worth of time invested in that game. I played CoH for a mere three months, and managed to get a single guy up to about level 35. In this time it was not uncommon for me to run across people who had been playing on a regular basis for over 2 years and were working on their 3rd, 4th or even 5th characters, having maxed out all their previous ones (level 50 in the case of CoH).

Did you care more about your time investment, gear, and lelves, or the meta-story you built up around your character? I would say about an even split, understanding that leveling was a means to an end, that end being getting more powers/abilities which add more dimension to the character and avail one of more epic, challenging missions - which themselves add to the sort of meta-story of the character. So, now that I talk it out, I guess the latter is true.

Did you ever actually role-play as the character, or did you just play the game as you using your character only as a visual avatar?I gave the old college try, but some times the nature of the character, and playing to that nature, detracted from the experience.

My guy was slow, plodding, methodical, kind of like The Juggernaut from comics. He would lumber straight forward, head first, into the line of fire, telling everyone on his team to get behind him, never in a hurry to get anywhere as a result. To this end, I at first decided to have him walk, not run, at all times - which quickly grew tiresome, as the City of Heroes world is HUGE - it could take you up to 15 minutes to get from point A to point B, and that's if you knew all the shortcuts and had some sort of travel power. So, I rapidly found myself ditching that idea, running until I acquired super jump, and from there, jumping all the hell over the place, cuz I didn't want to blow hours traveling between missions.

And as far as role-playing goes, I generally did - and was usually the only one doing so. But oh well - whatever floats your boat.

Dukefrukem
04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Does anybody really ever care about videogame characters?

:eek:

Yes.

Play Uncharted. The most likable hero in recent memory. It's pretty much Nathan Fillion in a video game. Exact same look and humor to him.

I can't fucking wait for the sequel.

megladon8
04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I've never actively cared for a video game character, really. Actually, I cared for the dog in "Fallout 3", but that's because he was a dog, and I love dogs more than most people.

I think my biggest problem with video game stories is that because of their linear nature, even the most epic RPG feels like I'm just being told a story, and my avatar is one of the characters in this predetermined narrative. I don't really have any power over the outcome of the game, because it has to end in the way (or one of the ways) that the writers/programmers put on the game.

With sandbox gaming and stuff like "Fallout 3" to use that example once again, we're starting to enter new territory, and I guess that's part of why I find games like this so exciting.

But I've always found that RPG's have very little role-playing involved (particularly in JRPG's) because you're playing through the story the way it was all intended to be played. There's very little impactful decision-making on the player's part, because in the end you're going from point A to point B in a pre-written story.

But I'll say again what I said in Thirdmango's thread - gameplay is king. I don't care how great a game's story is if I'm not having fun playing it.

Scar
04-29-2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.animecutie.com/gg_data/images/8/sephiroth-kills-aerith-217.jpg

Dukefrukem
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
http://www.animecutie.com/gg_data/images/8/sephiroth-kills-aerith-217.jpg

God I loved Aeris and Cloud.