PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Spun Lepton
11-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Scar, why haven't you finished FFX-2, yet? Jealous of their faaaAAAAAbulous costumes? Can't see the screen through all the jealousy, is that it? You want to wear girl's clothes, hahahahahaaa --- AAAAACK!!

</mysteriously shot>

Dead & Messed Up
11-29-2008, 12:57 AM
I picked up Metroid and the original Zelda with that Wii virtual console thing. Shockingly fun, and, for five bucks a pop, they're easily worth it.

Scar
11-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Scar, why haven't you finished FFX-2, yet? Jealous of their faaaAAAAAbulous costumes? Can't see the screen through all the jealousy, is that it? You want to wear girl's clothes, hahahahahaaa --- AAAAACK!!

</mysteriously shot>

200+ miles, gotta be a record.

Acapelli
11-29-2008, 02:51 AM
portal is the shit

transmogrifier
11-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I haven't played a video game in about two years.

Sycophant
11-29-2008, 07:05 AM
I haven't played a video game in about two years.

About a year ago, the same was true of me.

D_Davis
11-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I started playing HL2, again, this time on the PC.

This is my fourth time through the game, and yet I am still impressed at almost every turn.

The distance by which this game separates itself from all others is enormous.

City 17 may be my absolute favorite virtual environment. It feels so lived in, and tangible. The color pallet is evocative and has since become iconic. And the level design is superb. The way the player is constantly funneled through the alleyways, side streets, subways, and water ways is flawless. Through subtle visual and audio clues the player can tell where to go without being shown a map. Everything we need to know about how to play the game is shown in context. The game's pacing, too, is perfect: the first half of the game the player is being chased, and the second half of the game the player is doing the chasing.

It's simply an extraordinary experience.

bac0n
11-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Man, I still need to get my hands on the orange box.

megladon8
11-29-2008, 06:38 PM
One of my favorite parts of the "HL2" games is how the story is told seamlessly within the gameplay.

Rarely is there ever a cutscene to progress the plot.

Saya
11-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I like HL2, but I wouldn't say the pacing is perfect though. I still think the vehicle sections are unnecessarily long and become too dull and repetitive after a while.

Amnesiac
11-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I like HL2, but I wouldn't say the pacing is perfect though. I still think the vehicle sections are unnecessarily long and become too dull and repetitive after a while.

Those sections are pretty exciting, actually. And they don't take too long (well, maybe the first time through).

Plus, once you arrive at Eli's... it really feels like you've gone on this long, epic journey to get there.

Saya
11-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Those sections are pretty exciting, actually. And they don't take too long (well, maybe the first time through).

Plus, once you arrive at Eli's... it really feels like you've gone on this long, epic journey to get there.

I didn't find those levels very exciting. Lowest point of the game for me. I always lose interest during those levels because they just drag on and on. Still, overall the whole experience of the game is pretty amazing.

I haven't played it in a while and probably won't until Episode 3 is released. I guess that would be sometime in 2010.

D_Davis
11-29-2008, 09:41 PM

Totally agree. It's the only game I've ever played that really makes you feel as if you have traveled a great distance. The scope of the vehicular levels is majestic, especially the buggy portions. Man, those vistas are just amazing.

Spaceman Spiff
11-30-2008, 04:47 AM
I started playing HL2, again, this time on the PC.

This is my fourth time through the game, and yet I am still impressed at almost every turn.

The distance by which this game separates itself from all others is enormous.

City 17 may be my absolute favorite virtual environment. It feels so lived in, and tangible. The color pallet is evocative and has since become iconic. And the level design is superb. The way the player is constantly funneled through the alleyways, side streets, subways, and water ways is flawless. Through subtle visual and audio clues the player can tell where to go without being shown a map. Everything we need to know about how to play the game is shown in context. The game's pacing, too, is perfect: the first half of the game the player is being chased, and the second half of the game the player is doing the chasing.

It's simply an extraordinary experience.

Play System Shock 2, if you can find it. It's the best FPS ever.

Morris Schæffer
11-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Totally agree. It's the only game I've ever played that really makes you feel as if you have traveled a great distance. The scope of the vehicular levels is majestic, especially the buggy portions. Man, those vistas are just amazing.

Yeah, one gets the feeling that he or she can look back and sort of pinpoint where it all began, the train station. And it helps to have the citadel in view or on the horizon for a huge chunk of the initial game to get one's bearings. And the boat section should have been even longer. That was utterly jaw-dropping!

Morris Schæffer
11-30-2008, 11:07 AM

I have the game, but understand that it requires some hocus pocus to get the game to run on XP.

In any case, it was insanely atmospheric, but based on what would you call it better than Half-Life 2? Admittedly, I've no argumentation of my own.;)

Saya
11-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Played two awesome L4D games on advanced last night and I saw a boomer jumping of a high building and exploding on impact. That was hilarious. :)

The Dead Air final is actually way easier if you use the closet strategy. Just keep everyone in the closet at the back of the level and have two guys crouched in front and the other two standing behind them. Just blast everything that comes your way and when you hear the tank music, run out to get ammo and kill the tank. After you kill it just run back to the closet and blast everything that comes again until you hear the tank music again. This is the part where you have to be a bit lucky with the spawns of the boss infected, because now you have to make your way to the plane and kill the tank on the way.

And someone is already busy with making a Dawn of the Dead '04 custom map.

Crossroads Mall - A Replica of the Mall in Dawn of the Dead (http://l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12:crossroadsmall&catid=2:news)

It's still in the early stages but it looks pretty sweet already. I just hope that Valve will release a DLC package for the 360 someday though.

Skitch
11-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm enjoying Conan more and more...

Ezee E
11-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Played two awesome L4D games on advanced last night and I saw a boomer jumping of a high building and exploding on impact. That was hilarious. :)

The Dead Air final is actually way easier if you use the closet strategy. Just keep everyone in the closet at the back of the level and have two guys crouched in front and the other two standing behind them. Just blast everything that comes your way and when you hear the tank music, run out to get ammo and kill the tank. After you kill it just run back to the closet and blast everything that comes again until you hear the tank music again. This is the part where you have to be a bit lucky with the spawns of the boss infected, because now you have to make your way to the plane and kill the tank on the way.

And someone is already busy with making a Dawn of the Dead '04 custom map.

Crossroads Mall - A Replica of the Mall in Dawn of the Dead (http://l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12:crossroadsmall&catid=2:news)

It's still in the early stages but it looks pretty sweet already. I just hope that Valve will release a DLC package for the 360 someday though.
That would be awesome.

Really, with the game designing, you could recreate entire blocks of cities.

D_Davis
11-30-2008, 02:41 PM

What makes you think I haven't?

D_Davis
11-30-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm enjoying Conan more and more...

It's cool when a little $10 game catches you by surprise. Discovering a game in a bargain bin that like is one of my favorite things. Low expectations couple with low price can make for a great experience.

SirNewt
11-30-2008, 09:13 PM
oh shit!

*rubs eyes*

I'm coming off a three day Civ bender. Man I haven't played a game for more than 45 minutes at a time in six months. I can't believe that game can still hit me like that. So much for working over the break.

megladon8
11-30-2008, 10:57 PM
For great, genre-bending FPS games, I still really love "Deus Ex", even despite my aversion to anything with EIDOS written on it.

Ezee E
11-30-2008, 11:48 PM
When are you going to give L4D another try Meg?

megladon8
12-01-2008, 12:01 AM
When are you going to give L4D another try Meg?

I'm not in any rush.

I'll pick up a copy when it goes down in price. Hopefully by that time there'll also be some DLC I can get to add on to the admittedly sparse content currently available.

There are other games I'm more interested in right now, like "MK vs. DC", and I also want to give "Gears of War 2" a go.

I'll be in NYC in a week, so maybe I'll come back with a game or two.

I'm still addicted to "Fallout 3". 45 hours in, and I've still only seen about half the map, and I gather I'm about halfway through the storyline (if that).

And after I'm done with it, I want to replay a few games. Everything in "The Orange Box", "BioShock", "Marvel Ultimate Alliance", and I'll still be playing "CoD4" online if I can find some decent matches without cheaters.

So yeah, my gaming plate's pretty full.

Ezee E
12-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Yup. I gotta get me some Fallout 3.

Morris Schæffer
12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh my frakkin' God! It's the original Half-Life, but you ain't never seen it like this:

http://www.gamer.nl/doc/48926/Klassieker-in-een-nieuw-jasje-in-Black-Mesa-trailer

click the small arrow where it says "video afspelen."

Amnesiac
12-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Nice. I'd seen some of that footage before but not all of it.

It seems like Black Mesa: Source has been in a development for a long while.

megladon8
12-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Sweet. I never got to play the first "Half Life", so this'll be my chance.

Though I hear the final boss is an absolute nightmare.

D_Davis
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Nice. I'd seen some of that footage before but not all of it.

It seems like Black Mesa: Source has been in a development for a long while.

Way too long.

Saya
12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I think Left 4 Dead is my favorite game of the year. It is one of the most satisfying games I've ever played. I can't get enough of it and I haven't really even started versus mode yet.

D_Davis
12-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I think Left 4 Dead is my favorite game of the year. It is one of the most satisfying games I've ever played. I can't get enough of it and I haven't really even started versus mode yet.

It's freaking great.

Last night we were playing off-line co-op, Death Toll.

At the end of the third level, we got totally spanked by a vicious boss-horde combo. All four of us (including the AI-controlled players), were limping to the safe room....

I open the door, and I am the first to get in, I turn around to close the door and thats when I hear that all too familiar belching noise - yes, there was a boomer waiting for us in the safe house! My buddy Doug makes it in just in time for me to get vomited on, shoot the boomer, thus causing him to explode his juicy bits all over Doug. Then a smoker spawns outside and pulls Doug out of the safe room. He gets killed by a horde and then a horde rushes into the safe room and kills me.

It was totally epic.

bac0n
12-01-2008, 06:02 PM
It seems like the funnest thing about Left 4 Dead is getting killed.

Man, I needs to get me' hands on dis game.

Scar
12-01-2008, 06:03 PM

Are you saying I should take a bit of my severance check and pick up an XBOX 360 and L4D?

D_Davis
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM

The best thing about dieing in this game is that it always feels like it was your fault for playing poorly. It is amazing to see just how creative the AI Director gets with its spawning. You really get a sense that nothing is random. The levels are not randomly populated, the AI Director is truly placing the enemies with a strategy involved that changes based on how the PCs are playing.

Ezee E
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Yep. My last L4D adventure, we cruise through the first three stages of Dead Air without a problem. "A little too quiet," someone says.

Yup. A horde followed by a boomer, therefore another horde, just as everyone was slightly separated killed us all within a couple minutes. Gah!!!!!

Ezee E
12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
The best thing about dieing in this game is that it always feels like it was your fault for playing poorly. It is amazing to see just how creative the AI Director gets with its spawning. You really get a sense that nothing is random. The levels are not randomly populated, the AI Director is truly placing the enemies with a strategy involved that changes based on how the PCs are playing.
It really is. Every team death ends up being the fault of someone making a mistake, or going John Wayne, or running out of ammo at the wrong time. Every level feels different, no matter how many times you've seen it.

megladon8
12-01-2008, 06:52 PM
For some reason I am not levelling up anymore in "Fallout 3".

I'm only at level 20...but I'm not even getting any XP anymore.

Any suggestions?

Saya
12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
For some reason I am not levelling up anymore in "Fallout 3".

I'm only at level 20...but I'm not even getting any XP anymore.

Any suggestions?

The level cap is 20. :)

megladon8
12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
The level cap is 20. :)

Are you serious?

Because during the loading screens, it even shows that progress bar going from 20 to 21.

Why would they even write level 21 on the progress bar if you can't get to it?

That's kind of stupid.

Saya
12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Are you serious?

Because during the loading screens, it even shows that progress bar going from 20 to 21.

Why would they even write level 21 on the progress bar if you can't get to it?

That's kind of stupid.

Yeah, I don't get that either. Maybe they'll raise the level cap in their upcoming content patch.

Saya
12-01-2008, 07:28 PM
It really is. Every team death ends up being the fault of someone making a mistake, or going John Wayne, or running out of ammo at the wrong time. Every level feels different, no matter how many times you've seen it.

Yeah, the game definitely punishes persons who try to run ahead or get seperated too far from the group. I always know something goes wrong when someone says that he will make a fast trip back to the saferoom to get more ammo. :)

I like that the item locations are random in each run as well, even when you have to restart a level from a safe room. The game definitely makes sure that you explore all the rooms and on the higher difficulty settings you really need all the items you can find.

D_Davis
12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
And the witch's singing may be the scariest thing I've ever heard in a game.

bac0n
12-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Are you saying I should take a bit of my severance check and pick up an XBOX 360 and L4D?

You know what's gonna happen when you do that, right? The following day Valve and MS are gonna make nice and announce that L4D is slated for release on the PS3, with a release date of Q1 2009.

So, yes, you should definitely pick up an XBox & Left 4 Dead. :cool:

Scar
12-01-2008, 07:55 PM
You know what's gonna happen when you do that, right? The following day Valve and MS are gonna make nice and announce that L4D is slated for release on the PS3, with a release date of Q1 2009.

I have a feeling that Jess would lobby for a Wii before we consider an XBOX....

Spun Lepton
12-01-2008, 08:30 PM

My roommates got a Wii. Which means I'll be able to play MadWorld when it's released. This looks like the rightful heir to the Mortal Kombat franchise. I never would've expected a game as gratuitously violent as this on the Wii, but, hey, I'm certainly not complaining.

MadWorld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGoRBcRA6Y

Justin
12-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Doesn't Valve hate the PS3 though?

bac0n
12-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Doesn't Valve hate the PS3 though?

Last I heard, yes.

Ezee E
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Netflix though!

Dukefrukem
12-02-2008, 03:38 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/2nav38g.jpg

fucking awesome!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43231.html

if anyone hasn't played the first, get on it!

Dukefrukem
12-02-2008, 03:39 AM

same here btw. I can't get enough. and it's different every single time you play!

Milky Joe
12-02-2008, 06:37 AM
play this (http://www.retrosabotage.com/spacein/invasion.html)

Morris Schæffer
12-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Though I hear the final boss is an absolute nightmare.

Not only that, but the entire game derails spectacularly in the final 30-60 minutes. It's still plenty unforgettable as a whole.

Morris Schæffer
12-02-2008, 10:43 AM
And the more I read about L4D here, the more I wanna get it. Hope that when I do, I'll be able to join in the online fun with you guys even though I live in a different timezone.

live tag: Morris Schaefer

megladon8
12-03-2008, 11:01 AM
"The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena" (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/riddicks-dark-athena-butcher-bay-and-much-much-more/600/)

I must play this.

Saya
12-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Sweet, so the new Riddick game is finally coming out. The original was one of the best games on the Xbox.

megladon8
12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Sweet, so the new Riddick game is finally coming out. The original was one of the best games on the Xbox.

Indeed. It's crazy that a movie tie-in game was so bloody fantastic.

They say this is apparently a remake, but much more on top of that as well.

megladon8
12-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Wiat wait wait wait...maybe the wording of the article was off, but I just read something that said this whole "Black Mesa Source" remake of the original "Half Life" is fan made?

So is this ever going to see the light of day in stores, or is it just some little nerd project that people can download for shits-n-giggles, like "ZDoom"?

D_Davis
12-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I imagine Black Mesa will eventually find its way on to Steam, and I also imagine its creators will find themselves working for Valve. Valve has always supported the mod community. It's a PC mod, so it won't be out in stores or on the 360. It looks like one of the most ambitious mods I've ever seen.

D_Davis
12-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Here is a nice looking CGI trailer for the console version of The Witcher, coming out next year.

I hear it is to be a different game than it's PC brother.

http://kotaku.com/5101361/rise-of-the-white-wolf-teaser-trailer

I want to play the PC version soon.

Milky Joe
12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Wiat wait wait wait...maybe the wording of the article was off, but I just read something that said this whole "Black Mesa Source" remake of the original "Half Life" is fan made?

So is this ever going to see the light of day in stores, or is it just some little nerd project that people can download for shits-n-giggles, like "ZDoom"?

You say this as if it's a bad thing. Are games only good if you can buy them in stores?

Saya
12-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I just did a very nice L4D Dead Air run with two jittery Japanese guys and another guy. It was so funny to hear them shout the names of the infected with the Japanese accent like huneteru, boomeru, suumookeerru. One of them wanted to go for the crowned achievement (killing a witch with a headshot). So he went to position himself near a witch, but when he finally was ready a smoker's tongue grabbed him and dragged him over the witch he was standing at. The witch was startled of course and as we tried to shoot the witch off him someone shot the car she was standing next to and set of the alarm that attracted a fresh horde of zombies. Luckily for him we were playing on normal so he survived the attack. It was glorious.:)

I keep saying this but this game is amazing. My online co-op experience has been nothing but fantastic. The great majority of the people I've met were kind, worked together, healed each other and just understand that this is a teamwork game. Going rambo just doesn't work. And if you get in a bad group, you'll have no trouble finding another game.

Ezee E
12-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Heh, speaking of bad groups. There was one time where we all basically had a standoff in the safe room, all of us just killing each other, until one person was able to escape, only to make it five feet before being killed by someone still alive in the safe room on the ground.

Game restarted.

Everyone played as if nothing had happened. Hilarious.

megladon8
12-03-2008, 11:04 PM
You say this as if it's a bad thing. Are games only good if you can buy them in stores?

No, but I don't play games on my computer, so this pretty much renders my ability to enjoy "Black Mesa Source" null and void.

megladon8
12-03-2008, 11:40 PM
There's a much more revealing trailer for "Batman: Arkham Asylum" on the DVD of The Dark Knight.

It was pretty awesome.

Sycophant
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Okay, having a PlayStation 2 is amazing (I wrote a big long, rambling blog post (http://whatnot.bombdotcom.net/2008/11/my-first-week-with-sony.html) about it on Sunday if anyone's interested). This entire world of non-Nintendo games has opened up to me.

I was wondering if anyone here might be able to recommend some classic but still readily available (on the used market) and not terribly expensive original PlayStation games. Note that my tastes lean toward Japanese developers, but I'm open to all good games. Already have the three Final Fantasy games for the system.

Winston*
12-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Have you played Star Ocean: The Second Story, Sycophant? You'd dig that one.

Sycophant
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Have you played Star Ocean: The Second Story, Sycophant? You'd dig that one.Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I did pick up Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the PS2 already. But have heard great things about the earlier entries in the series, too.

Winston*
12-04-2008, 12:00 AM
I did pick up Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the PS2 already.

I got a decent way through that one, but my copy got scratched. It's okay, Star Ocean 2's much better IMO. On thing that really struck me about Star Ocean 3 is that it has some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard. Star Ocean 2 also has terrible voice acting but you only have to hear it during the battles.

D_Davis
12-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Okay, having a PlayStation 2 is amazing (I wrote a big long, rambling blog post (http://whatnot.bombdotcom.net/2008/11/my-first-week-with-sony.html) about it on Sunday if anyone's interested). This entire world of non-Nintendo games has opened up to me.

Awesome. Dude, I've been telling you this for like, 2 years or something. For your taste in games, the Playstation is the place to be.

For your tastes, I would try to track down (not all of these are cheap though):

Tomba 1 and 2 (get these NOW!) - adventure/playtformer (from the creator of the Ghosts 'n Goblins - brilliant games, especially the first)
Klonoa - platformer
Suikoden 1 and 2 - RPG
Wild Arms - RPG
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vandal Hearts - tactical RPG
Persona 1
Parappa the Rapper
Odd World 1 and 2 - adventure
Wild 9 - action
Heart of Darkness - adventure
Silhouette Mirage - action
Ape Escape - action platformer
Tail Concerto - adventure
Megaman Legends - adventure
Skullmonkeys - platformer
Brave Fencer Musashi - action RPG
Alundra - puzzle-based RPG
Lunar - RPG
Azure Dreams - dungeon crawl

There are a ton of awesome PS1 games out there.

Winston*
12-04-2008, 12:03 AM
I bought my brother The World Ends With You for the DS for Christmas. This is a good game, right? He has kind of Sycophanty tastes.

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
I bought my brother The World Ends With You for the DS for Christmas. This is a good game, right? He has kind of Sycophanty tastes.If his tastes are anything like mine, he should probably like it. I think it's the best game I have on the DS and easily one of the best I've played this year.

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Awesome. Dude, I've been telling you this for like, 2 years or something. For your taste in games, the Playstation is the place to be.

For your tastes, I would try to track down (not all of these are cheap though):

Thanks! I'll save the list for future reference when I hit some used game stores in the area.

I had a couple of people on the home front lobbying for me to get a PS2 for about as long. In two weeks, I've bought more games than I own for my DS. And I haven't even scratched the surface, it seems (though I'm trying to hold myself back a little--this backlog should last me into 2010).

Winston*
12-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Finished Resistance: Fall of Man. As a narrative experience it's about one step off Doom, but as a gameplay experience it's about 3 steps off Doom. What I'm trying to say is that it was pretty awesome. I liked shooting the aliens.

Saya
12-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I got Chrono Trigger for the DS today. I hope it's good.

Scar
12-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Finished Resistance: Fall of Man. As a narrative experience it's about one step off Doom, but as a gameplay experience it's about 3 steps off Doom. What I'm trying to say is that it was pretty awesome. I liked shooting the aliens.

I'm trying to remember which part of the game made me exclaim 'OH FUCK!'. It was one of the big creatures showing up for the first time. I've played it so many times that I forget.

I do remember my first time through I was painfully low on ammo at the end and ended up having to use my shotgun to finish off the reactors. Only had a couple rounds left when the game ended! That was awesome.

Spaceman Spiff
12-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Best game for the DS = Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Learn it. Love it. Live it.

D_Davis
12-04-2008, 02:54 PM
STALKER is pretty cool so far. I dl'ed it last night off of Steam, and checked it out this morning. As soon as a figured out how to shut off the annoying head-bob, I really started to get into the game. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I love the atmosphere, and I can see myself getting into this one.

Watashi
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I assume you've played both Kingdom Heart games, syco?

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I assume you've played both Kingdom Heart games, syco?

Considering I've had my PS2 for less than two weeks, I haven't spent much time with the first game, which I bought. Just the first hour or so. I must say, I was quite impressed, and am eager to play it between Persona 3 and Persona 4. Tetsuya Nomura knows how to make a game pretty. I'm sure once I complete it, I'll pick up KH2 and maybe even the new Re: Chain of Memories.

I can't wait to fight alongside Donald Duck. Just seeing him on the cover art for the game did my heart good.

Played a borrowed copy of Odin Sphere for half an hour last night and bought it this afternoon. Looks to be a good one.

number8
12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I got to play the Wanted video game a couple of nights ago. Wrote about it here (http://www.justpressplay.net/games/game-news/4408-hands-on-look-at-qwanted-weapons-of-fateq.html).

D_Davis
12-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I didn't like Odin Sphere. There is absolutely nothing beyond its pretty graphics. After about 10 hours with it I realized that I had made a huge mistake.

Watashi
12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Considering I've had my PS2 for less than two weeks, I haven't spent much time with the first game, which I bought. Just the first hour or so. I must say, I was quite impressed, and am eager to play it between Persona 3 and Persona 4. Tetsuya Nomura knows how to make a game pretty. I'm sure once I complete it, I'll pick up KH2 and maybe even the new Re: Chain of Memories.

I can't wait to fight alongside Donald Duck. Just seeing him on the cover art for the game did my heart good.

Played a borrowed copy of Odin Sphere for half an hour last night and bought it this afternoon. Looks to be a good one.
I'd recommend:

Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Dragon Quest VIII (Best JRPG I've ever played)
Lunar 1 & 2
The Sly Cooper franchise
Chrono Cross
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

D_Davis
12-04-2008, 09:51 PM
So I've actually been thinking about STALKER all day. I'm really looking forward to going home and playing it. It is clear to tell that it is designed by Eastern European developers, and so there is an air of mystery and fascination surrounding it. It possesses qualities and an atmosphere quite different from US, French, or Japanese developed games. I am curious to explore its world more - I think it will be a very rewarding experience.

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I didn't like Odin Sphere. There is absolutely nothing beyond its pretty graphics. After about 10 hours with it I realized that I had made a huge mistake.
So I've heard from some. Then there are others who loved it. I can see that I could get tired of the combat if there really isn't much variety. Guess I'm taking the risk.

But Lord, is it pretty.

I'd recommend:

Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Dragon Quest VIII (Best JRPG I've ever played)
Lunar 1 & 2
The Sly Cooper franchise
Chrono Cross
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Thanks, Wats. I've already picked up about a third of them, including DQ8. For some reason I was under the impression that Chrono Cross was not looked upon with much respect. Or is that just my circle of friends?

Watashi
12-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks, Wats. I've already picked up about a third of them, including DQ8. For some reason I was under the impression that Chrono Cross was not looked upon with much respect. Or is that just my circle of friends?

Are you a big Mitsuda fan? His work on Cross is the stuff of legends. Best video game soundtrack ever. The game itself is pretty fun too.

I would also check out Xenogears, but it's not a RPG for everyone.

number8
12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Speaking of KH, they're remaking the GBA one aren't they?

Watashi
12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKcr2OTgws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs2y4Nqku2o&feature=related

So glorious.

D_Davis
The soundtrack for Cross is, indeed, awesome.

Last episode of Retronauts is all about the 2 Chrono Trigger sequels: Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross.

Pretty interesting.

One of the guests was the fan-translator for Radical Dreamers.

Sycophant
Speaking of KH, they're remaking the GBA one aren't they?Yep. Just came out Tuesday (or maybe it's coming out next Tuesday) as Re: Chain of Memories for the PS2. Early word is that going 3D is beneficial to the game.

Winston*
12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Kingdom Hearts II was boring, didn't finish it. Dug the first one though.

D_Davis
12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Kingdom Hearts II was boring, didn't finish it. Dug the first one though.

The first few hours were atrocious. Ugh. So lame.

But then again, I didn't care for the first KH game either.

My wife loved the hell out of them both, though. It was fun watching her play.

Watashi
12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I prefer KH2 over KH1 mainly for Steamboat Mickey and Tron worlds.

Then, there is the music of course.

Watashi
12-04-2008, 10:14 PM
The beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2 is very slow and tedious, but the opening FMV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ3n0gOv9Is) is awesome.

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Video game music is terribly important, I've come to realize. Not only is it some of the best stuff composed today, but it's a really essential element to the experience of playing a game. For a while I had taken to playing Super Princess Peach with the sound off while watching television. It became a real bore to play. But when I turned the music (which isn't the greatest music, but still complementary to the gameplay) back on, I found myself enjoying the game that much more.

Watashi
12-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Video game music is terribly important, I've come to realize. Not only is it some of the best stuff composed today, but it's a really essential element to the experience of playing a game. For a while I had taken to playing Super Princess Peach with the sound off while watching television. It became a real bore to play. But when I turned the music (which isn't the greatest music, but still complementary to the gameplay) back on, I found myself enjoying the game that much more.
Have you played any of the Paper Mario games? Some great music there.

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Have you played any of the Paper Mario games? Some great music there.I played Super Paper Mario earlier this year. I found the dialogue and the hub world too obnoxious and long-winded to justify the repetitive gameplay. The music is lost to me. Been thinking about picking up the first game on VC, though.

Watashi
12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I played Super Paper Mario earlier this year. I found the dialogue and the hub world too obnoxious and long-winded to justify the repetitive gameplay. The music is lost to me. Been thinking about picking up the first game on VC, though.
Man, you are missing out. Paper Mario 1 and 2 are classics.

And here, I thought you played way more games than me.

Rowland
12-04-2008, 10:26 PM
So I'm a few hours into Twilight Princess, and so far, I like OoT more. The storytelling here is less compelling, the flow of the gameplay is more stilted (those fucking twilight world segments!), and the atmosphere is more flat. I hope it picks up. I remember when the gaming community went bananas over a less-than-9.0 score from Gamespot. Yeah, well so far...

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Twilight Princess is the least of the 3-D console Zeldas (haven't played through Phantom Hourglass yet). I think the game actually picks up steam toward the end, but between the two, Ocarina is, IMO, clearly the superior game.

Man, you are missing out. Paper Mario 1 and 2 are classics.

And here, I thought you played way more games than me.
I only came back to video games about a year ago. I hadn't really played anything between 2005 and 2007 at all, and even then I had only picked up about seven games between 2002 and 2005.

Watashi
12-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm waaay behind in the Zelda franchise.

I still haven't beaten Windwaker and never played any of the GBA games.

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
I remember when the gaming community went bananas over a less-than-9.0 score from Gamespot. Yeah, well so far...

That's because the "gaming community" is composed almost entirely of fucktards.

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm waaay behind in the Zelda franchise.

I still haven't beaten Windwaker and never played any of the GBA games.
Wind Waker and Link's Awakening (for the original GB) are my two favorite Zeldas. They have a quality of storytelling very well suited to their media, work their hardware to the max, have charm to spare, and are a blast to play.

Amnesiac
12-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Wind Waker and Link's Awakening (for the original GB) are my two favorite Zeldas.

Plus, Ganondorf is really at his best in Wind Waker. In terms of character depth and aesthetic design. There's a bit more thought put into him in this game.

I'm not saying he's a really well-nuanced and meticulously layered character... there's just a bit more to him than the usual one-note characterization based around 'I like power and I want more of it'.

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Plus, Ganondorf is really at his best in Wind Waker. In terms of character depth and aesthetic design. There's a bit more thought put into him in this game.

I'm not saying he's a really well-nuanced and meticulously layered character... there's just a bit more to him than the usual one-note characterization based around 'I like power and I want more of it'.'Tis truth. Also, the final battle in this game is so gripping, I've gone back to specifically play it several times since completing the game.

Spun Lepton
12-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Still building my level in Little Big Planet.

Anybody else have this game?

Winston*
12-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Still building my level in Little Big Planet.

Anybody else have this game?

Been thinking of getting it but I'm not sure how interested I am in building my own levels. How's the regular story mode or whatever?

Kurosawa Fan
12-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Should I buy a PSP after Christmas? Are there any major issues with it, such as freezing or anything like that? And can I hook it up to my TV and play games if I want?

I figure this is the last gasp for me and video games. I want to play Madden, NCAA, and MLB games, but I don't want to shell out the cash for a PS3. Plus, this way I can take it with me and play during down time or lunch breaks at work or something. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. I don't want a DS because I don't want to bother with a touch screen and I want better graphics.

Scar
12-04-2008, 11:58 PM
My day consisted of Fallout 3, and a few beers.

megladon8
12-05-2008, 12:09 AM
My day consisted of Fallout 3, and a few beers.

Sounds like a good day to me!

How is the game going? What are you doing in it right now?

Rowland
12-05-2008, 12:26 AM
I don't remember Gananondorf's depth in Wind Waker. Please elaborate sirs.

I liked Wind Waker okay, but I had too many problems with how the overworld was designed, and the dungeons, while frequently beautiful, didn't strike me as all that innovative in their design. Kinda perfunctory for the most part. Oh yeah, and that whole triforce quest was poorly conceived, implemented merely to pad out the game's length because it was rushed out for a Christmas release.

Scar
12-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Sounds like a good day to me!

How is the game going? What are you doing in it right now?

I think I'm near the end.

I met the president.

I'm 'Evil Incarnate', but I still try to be good.

Spun Lepton
12-05-2008, 03:08 AM
Been thinking of getting it but I'm not sure how interested I am in building my own levels. How's the regular story mode or whatever?

There's no real narrative to the game, it's a just a creative platformer. So, if you like platformers, it'll probably be right up your alley. There have been a few levels that made my jaw drop.

Saya
12-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I think I'm near the end.

I met the president.

I'm 'Evil Incarnate', but I still try to be good.

Tip: Make sure you create an extra save game after you get out in the world again after meeting the president. Because you are indeed almost at the end and you cannot continue playing after finishing the game. So, if you want to do some sidequests and other stuff, you have to reload an older save.

Saya
12-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Is Metal Gear Solid coming to the 360 or iPhone or DSi?

http://www.tg-media.net/upload/images/nazo.jpg

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/mgst/?ref=kjp_jp

Morris Schæffer
12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Gonna focus on Call of Duty 5 and probably Left4Dead in the coming month. I will espesh play me some multiplayer. Fallout 3 looks too sprawling and I fear that I will get bored with it too soon. Speaking of boring, the finale of Gears of War 2 was a disgrace. The rest rocked my world.

Scar
12-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Tip: Make sure you create an extra save game after you get out in the world again after meeting the president. Because you are indeed almost at the end and you cannot continue playing after finishing the game. So, if you want to do some sidequests and other stuff, you have to reload an older save.

'sank you!

I'm definately planning on playing it again as a good guy. I shoulda just made a saved game right before nuking megaton so I can watch it over and over.

Kurosawa Fan
12-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Should I buy a PSP after Christmas? Are there any major issues with it, such as freezing or anything like that? And can I hook it up to my TV and play games if I want?

I figure this is the last gasp for me and video games. I want to play Madden, NCAA, and MLB games, but I don't want to shell out the cash for a PS3. Plus, this way I can take it with me and play during down time or lunch breaks at work or something. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. I don't want a DS because I don't want to bother with a touch screen and I want better graphics.

Anyone own one who can give me some advice one way or the other? Anyone?

Raiders
12-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Anyone own one who can give me some advice one way or the other? Anyone?

Do you already own an Xbox 360, or are you only wanting a Playstation console? I ask because you can get an Xbox 360 for $199.99, so I don't know why you would pay anywhere from about $120-170 for a PSP.

I realize you like the portability, but I just don't know if the trade-off is worth it. Plus, you shouldn't be playin' games at work, anyway.

D_Davis
12-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't like portable gaming.

I've owned a DS for years and have barely touched it.

The only portable game I ever got into was the original Pokemon games.

I would rather spend the money on a home console.

D_Davis
12-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I think this new Mirror's Edge DLC looks more fun than the actual game. This may be the first time that DLC has made me want a game.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-daily-hotness-run-run-run--113644.phtml

megladon8
12-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Sorry, KF. I'm really not into portable games either, so I can't help you out.

Unrelated - "Fallout 3" is probably my number 1 game of the year at this point.

50 hours in, I'm sill constantly discovering new things, being challenged by new enemies (damn those Death Claws are tough mothers!), and meeting new people who help me out on my quest.

It outdoes "GTA IV" in every way when it comes to sandbox gaming. For as huge as the map in "GTA IV" is, and as much fun as I had with it, after about 20-25 hours I was getting sick of it. The world - while big on the outside - has very little depth. Only pivitol buildings can be entered, and only crucial characters spoken to.

In "Fallout 3", it's rare that you come across a building you can't enter or explore. In the larger metropolitan areas of DC, there are sections of buildings that are unexplorable, yes, but then there's that entire network of subway tunnels directly underneath.

It's probably the most detailed, comprehensive game world I have ever played in, and despite having maxed out my character, I never get tired of the VATS combat system, or of exploring every nook and cranny.

I love checking out all the different vaults, and how each one seems to be the victim of some twisted scientific experiment gone horribly wrong.

I was actually really creeped out in one of the vaults, where you occasionally have your vision tainted blue and you see people and objects that aren't there. The way it's integrated into the game, I actually thought it was a glitch at first. It wasn't until I got down to the lower levels of the vault that I found a computer terminal loaded with notes about this experimental gas being leaked into the vault, one of the side effects being your vision turning blue.

With such an incredible world here, I'm drooling at the mouth thinking of what Bethesda will be able to do with the next generation of consoles.

Kurosawa Fan
12-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Do you already own an Xbox 360, or are you only wanting a Playstation console? I ask because you can get an Xbox 360 for $199.99, so I don't know why you would pay anywhere from about $120-170 for a PSP.

I realize you like the portability, but I just don't know if the trade-off is worth it. Plus, you shouldn't be playin' games at work, anyway.

I had an Xbox 360, but sold it. With kids, I'm limited in the time I can play it. Some games I obviously can't play until they go to sleep, and when they're awake, we're usually doing something else. Not only that, but when they go to sleep, that's the only time my wife and I have alone together, and she doesn't like video games. Portable gaming is really the best opportunity for me to play. Like I said, I can squeeze in a game of Madden or something on my lunch break, or in the slower months when there isn't as much to do around the store.

Plus, my 360 constantly froze. Especially with Madden, which I was lucky to get through a game and be able to save. I just gave up on it. For the Wii, Madden kind of sucks. The graphics are mediocre, and the Wii controls are lame and annoying. The PSP seems like the best option, as the DS also has mediocre graphics and an annoying touch screen. I've also been told that you can connect component cables from the PSP to an HDTV and play the games that way without losing much resolution, so if I wanted to play at home on the big screen, I still have that option.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, but I wanted to make sure that the PSP isn't too buggy or have any annoying issues.

EvilShoe
12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
My brother has a PSP.
I find it to be fairly lame.

Get a Nintendo Game Boy. Those things were badass.

D_Davis
12-05-2008, 03:57 PM
The DLC for F3 is going to be great. They are releasing a whole new mini-campaign set in Alaska, and then another mini-campaign with the Brotherhood of Steal.

Oh, and that new Riddick game? It's no longer just an HD remake. In addition to the old game being completely remade - new engine, new play mechanics, and new stuff added in - the Dark Athena part of the game is a whole new game with just as much to do as in the first part. So basically, we're getting a complete overhaul of one of the best games ever made plus its direct sequel (Dark Athena takes place mere hours after Butcher Bay) on the same disc, all for $60.

That is damn awesome.

Morris Schæffer
12-05-2008, 04:22 PM
It's a me, Mario!!

http://www.gamer.nl/doc/49018/Lolbroek-speelt-real-life-Mario-Kart-met-bananen

:lol:

megladon8
12-05-2008, 04:29 PM
The DLC for F3 is going to be great. They are releasing a whole new mini-campaign set in Alaska, and then another mini-campaign with the Brotherhood of Steal.

That's amazing.

I forget - did you get "Fallout 3"? Have you played it?

If so, what'd you think?

Oh, and that new Riddick game? It's no longer just an HD remake. In addition to the old game being completely remade - new engine, new play mechanics, and new stuff added in - the Dark Athena part of the game is a whole new game with just as much to do as in the first part. So basically, we're getting a complete overhaul of one of the best games ever made plus its direct sequel (Dark Athena takes place mere hours after Butcher Bay) on the same disc, all for $60.

That is damn awesome.

I agree. This is up near the top of my list for 2009 games.

Vin Diesel should stick to game design :)

But I would still love to see the "Riddick" universe explored further in the movies. I really enjoyed both, and it's the most interested sci-fi movieverse to come around in a long, long time.

Saya
12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
'sank you!

I'm definately planning on playing it again as a good guy. I shoulda just made a saved game right before nuking megaton so I can watch it over and over.

It's definitely a cool moment in the game. Best looking explosion as well. I just wish they would've put some more megaton atomic bombs in the game to blow up.

D_Davis
12-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Apparently, Diesel and Twohy are still working on parts 2 and 3 of Chronicles.

I have not played F3 yet, but I will in the future.

Right now, I am playing:

Titan Quest and STALKER - both of which should take some time.

I've given up on Fable 2; I've come to realize that I really don't like it. More to come on this later.

I also need to finish Dead Space.

D_Davis
12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
It's a me, Mario!!

http://www.gamer.nl/doc/49018/Lolbroek-speelt-real-life-Mario-Kart-met-bananen

:lol:

I just watched this this morning, and was laughing my ass off. Hilarious.

megladon8
12-05-2008, 04:34 PM
"Dead Space" was great, but like "RE4" I didn't find it scary.

Had some jumps, and was unsettling at first...but nothing that made me want to both turn it off, and play 'til I finished the game like the first "Condemned" did.

And how's "STALKER"? It looks awesome.

Dead & Messed Up
12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
RE:4 Wii Edition came in the mail today - nice. It was only ten bucks on Amazon during Black Friday.

Too bad this work shit has to get in the way...

D_Davis
12-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I find Dead Space scary, but I am easily scared by games because I get really into them. Playing it alone, in my basement, at night, with head phones on - yeah, it can be scary.

STALKER is great. It's a totally different kind of FPS experience. It feels a little unpolished, and it is. However, it's also just different because of its Eastern European roots. It has a different kind of design aesthetic than what I am normally used to - and it's totally cool.

I'm looking forward to playing The Witcher for these same reasons.

Saya
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
There is a new blogpost up on the L4D site. The Moviemaking Process: Left 4 Dead's Intro Movie (http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=2081).

I think it's pretty cool how many gameplay elements they managed to fit into this short movie.

megladon8
12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Some footage from "Ghostbusters: The Game" (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/hands-on-ghostbusters/608/)

Ezee E
12-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Resident Evil 4, while not scary at all, is still one of the best games I've played.

I think I may get Fallout 3 sometime this weekend. Getting tired of the football games.

megladon8
12-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Resident Evil 4, while not scary at all, is still one of the best games I've played.

I totall agree with everything you said.

When I say it's not scary, I don't mean it as a detractor at all. I saw it as an action game anyways, and the action is so, so satisfying, and very tense.

I think I may get Fallout 3 sometime this weekend. Getting tired of the football games.

Hope you like it!

Remember this - VATS is your friend :)

Ezee E
12-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I know nothing of VATS, but I'm a good listener, and welcoming to new friends as always. Ha.

Rowland
12-05-2008, 07:12 PM
RE4 was pretty good, but way too repetitive. By the time the island rolled around, I was growing tired of the game, and I've never made it through a replay. I prefer REmake. The Mercenaries mini-game kicked ass though.

Sycophant
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't remember Gananondorf's depth in Wind Waker. Please elaborate sirs. Perhaps "depth" isn't quite the right word, but it felt like he had more of a presence and place in the game than ina lot of Zelda games. Again, he didn't have a lot of "depth," because he is ultimately a pretty standard issue representative of evil, but he felt more integrated into the story and game world. With more scenes in which he interacts with Link, he comes off a bit rounder and more fleshed out.

But on further reflection, perhaps Ocarina of Time does just as good a job, with seeing his mortal origins.

Dead & Messed Up
12-05-2008, 10:25 PM

It's the Aliens to RE2's Alien, substituting atmosphere with intensity.

Ezee E
12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
It's the Aliens to RE2's Alien, substituting atmosphere with intensity.
Pretty much. Nice way to sum it up.

Amnesiac
12-05-2008, 10:59 PM
With more scenes in which he interacts with Link, he comes off a bit rounder and more fleshed out.

There is also a slightly tragic facet to his character that is effectively presented. This is the result of his back-story: the fact that he and his people had suffered some really cruel misfortune within the desert. This raises notions of justice and undeserved nemesis. Thanks to this, Ganondorf's actions become more understandable. Not justifiable, but understandable. It also adds a human element to his villainy. Thus, Wind Waker presents him as something more than a mere caricature of power-hungry antagonism. Consider what he says in the game:

"My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose..."

I think this is much more thought-out than any of Ganondorf's prior motivations.

EyesWideOpen
12-05-2008, 11:41 PM
There's a gamestop 20% off used 360 games coupon floating around the interwebs which can be combing with the 10% edge discount for some good deals. I picked up today Left 4 Dead for $38.99, Too Human for $24.49, and the Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Disc (contains Pac-Man: Championship Edition, Uno!, Boom Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy, Luxor 2) for $3.49.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I find Dead Space scary, but I am easily scared by games because I get really into them. Playing it alone, in my basement, at night, with head phones on - yeah, it can be scary.

STALKER is great. It's a totally different kind of FPS experience. It feels a little unpolished, and it is. However, it's also just different because of its Eastern European roots. It has a different kind of design aesthetic than what I am normally used to - and it's totally cool.

I'm looking forward to playing The Witcher for these same reasons.

Agreed agreed and the Witcher is a MUST play for all RPG lovers. And it's now on Steam!

Dukefrukem
12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
20 Minutes after I made this Left 4 Dead video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5BBcpYIJGg), they released an update that prohibited this.

D_Davis
12-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Agreed agreed and the Witcher is a MUST play for all RPG lovers. And it's now on Steam!

As soon as I beat Titan Quest, I am going to get The Witcher Enhanced Version.

Ezee E
12-06-2008, 05:03 PM
20 Minutes after I made this Left 4 Dead video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5BBcpYIJGg), they released an update that prohibited this.
For those that would rather not watch the video, what is it?

Dukefrukem
12-06-2008, 06:14 PM

I just bought that off steam. How is it?

D_Davis
12-06-2008, 06:45 PM
I just bought that off steam. How is it?

It's incredible. The best Diablo 2 game I've played that isn't Diablo 2.

Dukefrukem
12-07-2008, 12:47 AM
It's incredible. The best Diablo 2 game I've played that isn't Diablo 2.

I installed it and started playing. Wow is it fun. Level 3 baby.

Saya
12-07-2008, 01:26 AM
That were some fun L4D versus games tonight, EyesWideOpen!

You were kicking ass in that Blood Harvest versus match. I think it was the second level. The one with you and the 3 AI partners. We just couldn't get to you. :)

EyesWideOpen
12-07-2008, 04:17 AM
That were some fun L4D versus games tonight, EyesWideOpen!

You were kicking ass in that Blood Harvest versus match. I think it was the second level. The one with you and the 3 AI partners. We just couldn't get to you. :)

Yep, good times. Today was actually my first time playing versus, i've mainly been sticking to campaign. I wish we could get together a group to play online from MC.

Ezee E
12-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Davis, myself, saya, and you could make for a campaign at least.

Saya
12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm up for that. Maybe next weekend? Or just shoot me an invite when I'm online. I'll join you then.

Last night was also my first extensive play of versus mode. I really like it so far. I still suck at most of the special infected though. I thought playing as a tank would be easier, but it's pretty hard. Love playing as a boomer and getting a bunch of people covered in puke. The smoker is also pretty cool and it's fun to grab people when they stray a little bit too far from the group.

D_Davis
12-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Davis, myself, saya, and you could make for a campaign at least.

I'm down.

Sycophant
12-07-2008, 05:55 PM
For the last two weeks, I've done pretty much nothing but work, sleep, and play Persona 3. And I'm hoping to get it finished in the next couple weeks so I can start on Persona 4.

This is seriously like the greatest game I've ever played. Such a complete and rewarding package.

D_Davis
12-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I knew you'd like the MegaTen games Syco. Too bad the Digital Devil Saga games are so expensive and hard to find. Same universe, different kind of story.

I pre-ordered P4 yesterday even though I never beat P3.

In other news, Titan Quest is just about my favorite game right now. It's basically Diablo 2 minus the only thing I always hated about D2 - repairing equipment. Degrading weapons and armor is probably my least favorite thing about these kinds of games, and I am so glad that TQ did away with this aspect. This really is an extremely polished and well-made game, and it is a shame that Ironlore, it's developer, has gone out of business.

Winston*
12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
I always wondered why Nintendo has never made a proper console Pokemon RPG. Seems like it would be a sure hit. Folklore's kind of like what one might be if it were more fantasy and story based. It's pretty cool, really dig the design. I wish all the cut scenes were proper cinematics though.

D_Davis
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I always wondered why Nintendo has never made a proper console Pokemon RPG. Seems like it would be a sure hit.

This has forever been a mystery to me. Seems like such a no brainer. Especially with their desire for GBA/DS-Console connectivity.

Winston*
12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe they think once people have it for their consoles they won't want to buy DSs to play the portable version or something. I don't know, Nintendo seems to make a lot of stupid buisness decisions.

Also played a bit of MGS 4 and Bioshock. Both seem like they'll be excellent games.

MGS4 is really hard. The enemy AI is much better than in the other games so they kept spotting me and once that happens it's difficult to get away from them. Maybe it would be easier if I just pulled a Scar and killed everybody.

D_Davis
12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't know, Nintendo seems to make a lot of stupid buisness decisions.

I think so to, and yet they are the most successful VG company to date; just shows to go ya. It baffles my mind. It really is as if they can do no wrong.

Winston*
12-07-2008, 08:55 PM
You know what's strange? When you get these top 100 games of all time lists and Super Mario Bros. is at the top. This just seems objectively crazy to me. It doesn't make sense that people could think the best game of all time could've be made 25 years ago.

Milky Joe
12-07-2008, 09:05 PM
You know what's strange? When you get these top 100 games of all time lists and Super Mario Bros. is at the top. This just seems objectively crazy to me. It doesn't make sense that people could think the best game of all time could've be made 25 years ago.

:rolleyes: I suppose you have the same reaction when Citizen Kane is at the top of every 100 best films list?

Winston*
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
:rolleyes: I suppose you have the same reaction when Citizen Kane is at the top of every 100 best films list?

Not comparable. Games have changed a lot more in the last 25 years than films have in the last 85. There isn't much that separates Citizen Kane from a movie made today.

Milky Joe
12-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Not comparable. Games have changed a lot more in the last 25 years than films have in the last 85.

I don't agree. All that's really changed is the amount of pixels/polygons. Solid mechanics are still solid mechanics, and Super Mario Bros. is still easily one of the most impeccably designed games ever made.

Ezee E
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't agree. All that's really changed is the amount of pixels/polygons. Solid mechanics are still solid mechanics, and Super Mario Bros. is still easily one of the most impeccably designed games ever made.
Pong?

Morris Schæffer
12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Okay. I was skeptical. I mean, WW 2 again? Treyarch back at the helm?!

But boy Call of Duty: World at War is insanely exciting all over again! I love it! And those graphics!!

Milky Joe
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Pong?

More an experiment than an actual game. Historically very important, but not the beacon of classical game design that is SMB.

D_Davis
12-08-2008, 01:38 AM
While it's true that games, more than films and other forms of entertainment, do continue to get better and better as the technology and craft improves, that doesn't mean that something like Super Mario Bros. or the first Zelda should be passed up in favor of something new. There is a pure gaming quality to these old titles that makes them more than worthy to be included on top-whatever lists. Platforming games really haven't gotten any better than Super Mario World, for instance.

Milky Joe
12-08-2008, 02:24 AM
WPlatforming games really haven't gotten any better than Super Mario World, for instance.

Yoshi's Island might beg to differ. Or SMB3. Or even SMB2j!

D_Davis
12-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Yoshi's Island might beg to differ. Or SMB3. Or even SMB2j!

Nah, Super Mario World is the best Mario.

:)

D_Davis
12-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Okay. I was skeptical. I mean, WW 2 again? Treyarch back at the helm?!

But boy Call of Duty: World at War is insanely exciting all over again! I love it! And those graphics!!

This is definitely on my buy-when-it's-~$20 list.

Justin
12-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Anyone play the new Prince of Persia yet?

D_Davis
12-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Anyone play the new Prince of Persia yet?

Not yet.

It's on my x-mas list.

Actually, it is my x-mas list.

Sycophant
12-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Or even SMB2j!

Her?

I still believe SMB3 to be the best among the Mario platformers. But SMB1, 3, and World are all among the best representatives of the genre.

Milky Joe
12-08-2008, 05:16 AM
Her?

Funny, I was thinking of saying the very same thing in reply to Davis about World.

SMB2j is like SMB on acid.

Sycophant
12-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Funny, I was thinking of saying the very same thing in reply to Davis about World.

SMB2j is like SMB on acid.

I think I'm stuck on World 5 in SMB2j. Game is tough as fucking nails. Though I did beat the version that came out on Game Boy Color some nine years ago.

SMB is the superior game, methinks, if for no other reason than that it can be conquered and even mastered without necessarily becoming an insane person.

Saya
12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Chrono Trigger on the DS still holds up very well. Overall I am having a really great time again with this game. The music is still fantastic and the game just looks great. I'm about 3 hours in now and just made it to the End of Time. I'm glad I just finished the Future part though, because that sucked. It's kind of a boring part, because all the environments are so bleak and grey and the dungeons are not very interesting. And every time you want to walk to other side of the map you have to do this stupid race.

This game also reminded me that I vastly prefer JRPG's without random battles. I want to see the enemies on screen and I want to have the choice to fight them or not.

D_Davis
12-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Next week's episode of the Retronauts is going to be about the Persona series, and they are going to have a couple of the localizers as special guests. Should be very cool.

Morris Schæffer
12-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Call of Duty: World at War is actually more exciting and memorable than the previous one if you can believe that sort of thing. The airplane level, though on rails, is tremendous especially when the player has to switch gunner positions. Call of Duty 6 needs a submarine level with all the patience and suspense that comes with the job.

Spaceman Spiff
12-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Yes! The Witcher is amazing.

Yxklyx
12-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Call of Duty: World at War is actually more exciting and memorable than the previous one if you can believe that sort of thing. The airplane level, though on rails, is tremendous especially when the player has to switch gunner positions. Call of Duty 6 needs a submarine level with all the patience and suspense that comes with the job.

How many hours of gameplay do they both have?

Dukefrukem
12-08-2008, 09:29 PM
God damn Titan Quest is addicting...

btw, what's everyone's steam name?

megladon8
12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I always felt like I was really missing out on the "Diablo" craze. I was given the Battle Chest (#1 and #2 and all expansions) for Christmas one year, and I just couldn't get into it at all.

Of course, now that I feel I could appreciate it, I don't have it anymore :sad:

Amnesiac
12-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Has anyone here played through Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts yet? I remember someone mentioned it was his most anticipated of 08 a few weeks back...

I'm not going to be playing it for a while, but I've heard some pretty mixed things about the game. The review scores are all over the place, too. :sad:

Milky Joe
12-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Has anyone here played through Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts yet? I remember someone mentioned it was his most anticipated of 08 a few weeks back...

I'm not going to be playing it for a while, but I've heard some pretty mixed things about the game. The review scores are all over the place, too. :sad:

The people in this thread (http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=17060) all seem pretty in love with it. It'd be on my to-buy list if I had an Xbox360.

D_Davis
12-08-2008, 09:54 PM
God damn Titan Quest is addicting...

btw, what's everyone's steam name?

twincamakiko

I wonder how TQ is multi-player?

That game is just too addicting. Oh man.

Hit level 14 last night...almost done with Greece.

I think you get to go to Asia at some point, can't wait!

D_Davis
12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
I always felt like I was really missing out on the "Diablo" craze. I was given the Battle Chest (#1 and #2 and all expansions) for Christmas one year, and I just couldn't get into it at all.

Of course, now that I feel I could appreciate it, I don't have it anymore :sad:

They're definitely not for everyone.

I love these kinds of mindless click-fests; I just never get tired of killing monsters, collecting new loot, and exploring new dungeons.

Morris Schæffer
12-09-2008, 10:36 AM
How many hours of gameplay do they both have?

I think that in terms of length they're about solid. Maybe 7-10 hours each.

New trailer for the Batman game:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_9682_en.html

bac0n
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Wow, looks like Atari has acquired Cryptic Studios, the developer shop behind City of Heroes/Villains, and the upcoming Champions Online (my most anticipated game so far this gen).

This has sorta toned down my excitement for Champs Online, inasmuch as Atari has on several occasions forced developer studios to rush out unfinished, poorly tested, and buggy games so that they can get them out there quicker and get a quick buck. I hope they don't try and pull this shit on Cryptic.

D_Davis
12-09-2008, 04:35 PM
With Phil Harrison at Atari now, I'm sure things will run more smoothly. He's been totally revamping the company, and is mostly responsible for bringing them back from the dead.

Spun Lepton
12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
With Phil Harrison at Atari now, I'm sure things will run more smoothly. He's been totally revamping the company, and is mostly responsible for bringing them back from the dead.

Next up, E.T. 2: The Friendening

Saya
12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Is anyone else getting a lot of disconnections from the servers while playing Left 4 Dead lately?

I got disconnected yesterday while playing a versus game with a couple Match-Cut guys and all the other versus games I joined later on as well. It's just so annoying when you get disconnected from a fun match.

EyesWideOpen
12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Is anyone else getting a lot of disconnections from the servers while playing Left 4 Dead lately?

I got disconnected yesterday while playing a versus game with a couple Match-Cut guys and all the other versus games I joined later on as well. It's just so annoying when you get disconnected from a fun match.

Cool I thought it was just me. I got disconnected like 6 times yesterday afternoon.

megladon8
12-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Lots of info on the future "Fallout 3" DLC. (http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/937/937202p1.html)

Skitch
12-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Finished Conan last night.

Whole game was simple easy hack and slash (though quite fun), end boss was cheap and tough! God, I'm sick of that. Took some time, but I managed to kill his ass.

Saya
12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Lots of info on the future "Fallout 3" DLC. (http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/937/937202p1.html)

Cool! Pics here:

http://i35.tinypic.com/34o53c4.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/xeqsno.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/fum35x.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/2r63daa.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/2afc4nn.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/29y1i4w.jpg

And a little summary of the new info:

- Operation: Anchorage will be about 4-5 hours long
- New weapons and perk
- Combat/stealth oriented
- 800 MS Points
- Update (bug fixes) for all versions of Fallout 3 coming
- Second DLC, The Pitt, will take place in Pittsburgh
- Third DLC, Broken Steel, will increase the level cap

I don't understand why the third content update will increase the level cap and not the first one. :confused:

EyesWideOpen
12-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Gamefly has been good to me these holidays. I've gotten pretty much every major release i wanted within a week of release. (Mirror's Edge, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Scene It: BOS, Too Human, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead) I just sent back Mirror's Edge and they just shipped out Prince of Persia. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Winston*
12-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Tried out that PS3 Home thing. I'm don't think I understand what it's for. You can make your avatar do the robot in front of a bubble machine, maybe that's what it's for.

Spun Lepton
12-12-2008, 03:43 AM
Tried out that PS3 Home thing. I'm don't think I understand what it's for. You can make your avatar do the robot in front of a bubble machine, maybe that's what it's for.

It's up and working?! Excellent, I have to check it out when I get home and when I get Home.

heh heh ...

Sony's positioning it to be the PS3 answer to Second Life. Apparently you're able to meet friends and join games together. People will have "rooms" where they can display videos, slideshows, etc. Sony has also said that they're toying with the idea of adding a "Red Light District" for users who want to show off pr0n. Perfect for those folks with the sixaxis VibroPhal and VibroVag.

Winston*
12-12-2008, 05:48 AM
Sony has also said that they're toying with the idea of adding a "Red Light District" for users who want to show off pr0n. Perfect for those folks with the sixaxis VibroPhal and VibroVag.

Doubt it. Too much potential for PR disaster.

"They have what on the Playstation now?! Well we're certainly not getting Timmy on of those for Christmas anymore. We'd better go with a more wholesome family brand, like Microsoft".

Sxottlan
12-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Anyone know the name of the Sigur Ros song that plays in the commercials for the latest Prince of Persia game? Thanks.

EyesWideOpen
12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Doubt it. Too much potential for PR disaster.

"They have what on the Playstation now?! Well we're certainly not getting Timmy on of those for Christmas anymore. We'd better go with a more wholesome family brand, like Microsoft".

Exactly. Their is zero chance of Home having that feature.

Saya
12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Scene It: BOS

How was this game?

I'm thinking of buying it, because a movie trivia game like that seems like a lot of fun. However, I'm afraid that the amount of questions in that game is too limited. After a while you just know all the answers to the questions and then there is no point of playing it again I guess.

EyesWideOpen
12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
How was this game?

I'm thinking of buying it, because a movie trivia game like that seems like a lot of fun. However, I'm afraid that the amount of questions in that game is too limited. After a while you just know all the answers to the questions and then there is no point of playing it again I guess.

I mainly got it since it's a game me and my wife can play together and she liked the first 360 Scene It game. We've played it about two times a week since it came out and haven't had any repeats yet.

I noticed a few reviewers claming that the questions repeated after like their second playthrough which i seriously doubt since like the first game it saves which questions you've done to your gamertag and doesn't show them again unless you've exhausted the other thousands of questions. I think what confused them is that it will repeat movie clips sometimes but ask you a completely different set of questions about that movie.

It's worth about 8-10 hours of fun and i definitely recommend a rental at least or if you can find it cheap. I used the buy it now on gamefly and bought it for $22.

Saya
12-12-2008, 11:55 AM
That's great to hear and 8-10 hours of entertainment is a lot for this type of game. I think I'll get this for the holidays, so we can have some movie quiz fun with the family.

D_Davis
12-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Anyone know the name of the Sigur Ros song that plays in the commercials for the latest Prince of Persia game? Thanks.

I love the band, and I don't a single name of any of their songs.

:)

Sorry!

In podcast news....

This week's Giant Bombcast was hilarious.

And on this weeks Retronauts, the topic is Persona! And as a special guest they have one of the localizers who works for Atlus.

D_Davis
12-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Fun fact:

The drummer for my band was a lead programmer on the original Scene It on the 360.

Stay Puft
12-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Haven't seen the commercials, but if it's the same one they were using in the trailer a while back, it's Saeglopur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBTH2E5QPEE).

Ivan Drago
12-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Yep, it's Saeglopur, from their Takk album. Phenomenal song and album.

Spun Lepton
12-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Signed on to Home last night. Went to the bowling alley. It wasn't long before some teenaged dirtbag came in and started insulting people and yelling profanities for no reason. I love humanity.

number8
12-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Signed on to Home last night. Went to the bowling alley. It wasn't long before some teenaged dirtbag came in and started insulting people and yelling profanities for no reason. I love humanity.

AMAZING! Just like a real bowling alley!

Spun Lepton
12-12-2008, 11:32 PM
AMAZING! Just like a real bowling alley!

But, without the ability to clobber somebody with a bowling ball.

EyesWideOpen
12-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Today's penny arcade article :

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Spun Lepton
12-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Today's penny arcade article :

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Dead-on.

number8
12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Hah.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20081212.jpg

Ezee E
12-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Started Fallout 3 today... this will be taking a lot of time.

Spun Lepton
12-13-2008, 03:25 AM
Wired article:
Games Boost Brainpower in Elderly

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/12/study-games-boo.html

A recently published study conducted by the University of Illinois psychology department finds that time spent playing videogames actually improves the mental prowess of older people.

After submitting a group of older people (specifically, 40 60+ year olds) to almost 24 hours of Big Huge Games' real-time strategy title Rise of Nations, the group exhibited notable improvements in a number of cognitive tests.

"As a group, the gamers became significantly better -- and faster -- at switching between tasks as compared to the comparison group," the study reports.

"Their working memory, as reflected in the tests, was also significantly improved. Their reasoning ability was enhanced. To a lesser extent, their short-term memory of visual cues was better than that of their peers, as was their ability to identify rotated objects."

Sycophant
12-13-2008, 03:29 AM
The word "real-time strategy" needs to be permanently affixed to the word "game" when discussing that study. Methinks the results of playing an FPS might not be quite the same.

But good, useful information nonetheless. Games aren't all mindless. Most good ones aren't.

Saya
12-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow, some of those Home avatars are really freaky and disturbing looking.

Justin
12-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Don't know if it has already been posted, but Team Fortress 2 for PC is only $10 this weekend on Steam. I think the sale ends today.

megladon8
12-14-2008, 07:00 PM
"TF2" is the only game on "The Orange Box" that I never got into.

I tried several times, but it's one of those games where everyone playing online is already so good that I just had no chance in hell. And it didn't catch my interest the same way that "CoD4"'s multiplayer did, so I didn't have the desire to spend hours and hours gettin' my skillz in order.

Oh well...4 amazing games out of 5 for the price of 1 game. Still the best deal ever.

EyesWideOpen
12-14-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm about 4 hours into Prince of Persia and loving it so far. The movement and platforming is really fluid.

Saya
12-15-2008, 08:48 AM
God of War 3 trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43622.html)

Sycophant
12-15-2008, 08:53 AM
OMG Persona 3 is the best game ever. I can't be too far from the end now.

Saya
12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Hmm, Valve has to patch the map exploit in No Mercy. It's not much fun when the infected team blocks the elevator exit and all 4 of the survivors are trapped inside.

Ezee E
12-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Moving through the sewers in Fallout 3 is pretty damn creepy. Especially since I took on the more "intelligent" skills instead of "soldier" skills. I can get hurt pretty quickly.

Love throwing Frag Grenades though.

Saya
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Moving through the sewers in Fallout 3 is pretty damn creepy. Especially since I took on the more "intelligent" skills instead of "soldier" skills. I can get hurt pretty quickly.

Love throwing Frag Grenades though.

You made the right choice though. High intelligence will pay off in the long run, because you get more points to distribute every time you level up, plus it will boost your medicine, science and repair skills.

Ezee E
12-15-2008, 02:21 PM
You made the right choice though. High intelligence will pay off in the long run, because you get more points to distribute every time you level up, plus it will boost your medicine, science and repair skills.
One thing I don't understand is the hacking system for the computers. Are we suppose to just guess one of those words?

Scar
12-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Iäm gonna trying beating Fallout 3 as the uber good guy, but Iäm pretty sure next time Im going as ultra-evil, and try to use my fists as much as possible.

Ezee E
12-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Iäm gonna trying beating Fallout 3 as the uber good guy, but Iäm pretty sure next time Im going as ultra-evil, and try to use my fists as much as possible.
I have no certain path I'm taking. Whatever instinct I like the most. The sheriff in the one town is pretty badass, unlike the cowardly guy who wants me to blow up the city. I went with cool.

However, when I walked into a junkie's house, I killed her, and stole everything in that place.

Saya
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
One thing I don't understand is the hacking system for the computers. Are we suppose to just guess one of those words?

Yep, you have to guess one of the words. Also, you can get a some additional tries if you select the words that are between these characters "(-)" or "<->". Sometimes a dud word will be removed instead of getting fresh tries to guess a word.

D_Davis
12-15-2008, 03:50 PM
OMG Persona 3 is the best game ever. I can't be too far from the end now.

Glad to hear how much you are liking this game.

Amnesiac
12-15-2008, 06:11 PM
In about a week I'll have myself some free time and I'll be checking out Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Left 4 Dead and Gears 2.

And maybe that Little Big Planet game.

Providing I even have time for all of this.

Sycophant
12-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Glad to hear how much you are liking this game.
It's near-perfection, at least by my video game standards. Fully engaging and immersive story (unlike most, I like how I can't entirely control my other party members, because it furthers the impression that I'm playing the main character and only the main character). Stunningly composed visuals, immaculatley presented. Exceptional writing and voice acting (if these guys did a Persona 3 anime dub, I'd be happy with it, which I can say of almost no other video game or anime dub outside of Suda51's games). A remarkable turn-based, strategy-oriented battle system that is so sleek that it feels like an action RPG. A brilliant and varied musical score (sometimes silly English rap lyrics aside). One of the best dating/social sims I've encountered. And good Lord, does the game ever do a great job of making you feel the badass when taking out a tough enemy. That I've played through 74 hours already (with at least another 10 to 20 to go, I think) and am not bored with any of it is quite a feat. In fact, as the calendar winds down and I can feel the game coming to an end, I'm panicked because I didn't do everything (and talk to everybody) I wanted to.

And from what I hear from my friend who's begun playing it, Persona 4 looks to be just as good if not better. Just got my copy in the mail today, and I'm planning to pick up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne promptly.

D_Davis
12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
And from what I hear from my friend who's begun playing it, Persona 4 looks to be just as good if not better. Just got my copy in the mail today, and I'm planning to pick up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne promptly.

I hear P4 is the best in the series.

And lucky for you, Atlus recently reissued Nocturne and DDs so you won't have to pay $100+ for "collector's" copies.

You should listen to the latest episode of Retronauts - tons of cool MegaTen stuff.

Spun Lepton
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I finished and posted my LittleBigPlanet level, to be met with 2/5-star ratings, with questions like, "Did you even do a run-through?!" Uh, yeah, dude, I ran through the fucking thing around 50 times.

After looking at some of the amazing levels that others have built, however, it doesn't come as much of a shock any more. I will say that it is the first and last level I will ever make for that game. BUNCHA INGRATES!! hehe...

In case anybody wants to stumble through my level, it's called "Fall from Grace." You get to a cliff and you step off, and you fall -- there are some things to catch on the way down -- then, when you're at the bottom, you go up! Simple and short, really -- but not very pretty to look at. ;)

KK2.0
12-16-2008, 12:15 AM
I got the Home closed beta a few weeks before release, and my experience was actually enjoyable... met a few friends from my list and had a chat in the arcade while playing Pool. I guess people expect different things, all i expected from this service was a way to meet my gaming friends that are mostly from several different cities and countries.

The open beta however had a lot tehcnical issues that closed didn't, mine crashed or disconnected several times, i thought all the delay went to assure that this wouldn't happen.

Oh, and i'm addicted to fallout 3, the overall design is much more involving than Oblivion and the universe is much cooler, with a lot more personality as well. Quite posibly one the best RPG's i've ever played, asian or not.

Spun Lepton
12-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Hilarious pair of videos demonstrating PlayStation Home's fundamental problems:

It's a sausage fest.

http://gizmodo.com/5109634/female-avatars-are-not-safe-in-sony-home

(Be sure to watch the second video.)

D_Davis
12-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Penny Arcade's charity, Child's Play, has earned over $1 million so far.

That is awesome.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2008/12/15/you-will-feel-heat/

Gamers are very generous.

Morris Schæffer
12-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Deux Ex 3

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Daeda/200812/1229463300_3_3.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Daeda/200812/1229463300_0_3.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Daeda/200812/1229463300_1_3.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Daeda/200812/1229463300_2_3.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Daeda/200812/1229463300_4_3.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Daeda/200812/1229463300_6_3.jpg

EvilShoe
12-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Has anyone here played F.E.A.R.? Any good?

(I just ordered it, along with The Orange Box.)

D_Davis
12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Deux Ex 3

Yes please.

Amnesiac
12-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm going to have a lot of free-time to get into a few games soon enough. Thus, I'm trying to think about how to prioritize as I own all 3 systems and it seems there is a lot of good stuff available. Well, at least when it comes to the PS3 and especially for the 360.

And, actually I don't really know of any games on the Wii that interest me at this moment.

As I mentioned before, I'm thinking about Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Left 4 Dead, Gears 2, Little Big Planet and... that's it. I'd appreciate any further recommendations.

Also, I noticed in IGN's Holiday Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.ign.com/2008/uk/xbox360/), on the 360 list, Tomb Raider: Underworld is #2 after Left 4 Dead. I didn't think Tomb Raider games were a thing of quality anymore (or ever).

D_Davis
12-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Also, I noticed in IGN's Holiday Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.ign.com/2008/uk/xbox360/), on the 360 list, Tomb Raider: Underworld is #2 after Left 4 Dead. I didn't think Tomb Raider games were a thing of quality anymore (or ever).

Ever? Are you serious?

The first Tomb Raider is my favorite game of all time, and I've been playing games since the Atari 2600 was new! This game, along with Mario 64, pushed gaming into the realms of 3D and completely changed the way we play games.

Many people actually like the 2nd one the best, but I am not one of those.

The recent 'reboot' with Legends was a good thing, and that game is great. The remake of the first game, TR: Anniversary, is also good, and has since supplanted the original for me. I've never experience better level design than what is found in these levels.

From what I hear, the newest one is pretty good - if a bit truncated. Supposedly, the 360 is getting some exclusive levels as DLC that will make the game more complete. I am waiting for these to be released before I buy the game.

(However, that IGN list doesn't appear to be in any kind of order...)

Sycophant
12-17-2008, 04:39 PM
That's good to know about Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Davis. I've been thinking about picking up some TR game (haven't played any since I played the PC demo level obsessively back in 1996 or 1997), but was kind of overwhelmed by what's out there and confused by which one would be a good place to start. A remake of the first adventure seems like a good candidate.

So now I just have to pick a system on which to play it.

D_Davis
12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
That's good to know about Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Davis. I've been thinking about picking up some TR game (haven't played any since I played the PC demo level obsessively back in 1996 or 1997), but was kind of overwhelmed by what's out there and confused by which one would be a good place to start. A remake of the first adventure seems like a good candidate.

So now I just have to pick a system on which to play it.

PS2 would be my choice, simply because of the controller. TR just works with the PS controller.

I would pick up Legends and Anniversary - both are fun. The mechanics still feel a little dated, but I think the core game is still awesome.

Morris Schæffer
12-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Has anyone here played F.E.A.R.? Any good?

(I just ordered it, along with The Orange Box.)

It's a rather strong first-person shooter that excels in the area of atmosphere and superbly exciting shooting action courtesy of the option to slow down time to mow down baddies. The story isn't too bad either.

I played the PC version however and it was quite some time ago so I'm not sure how cutting edge FEAR still is.

Sycophant
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
PS2 would be my choice, simply because of the controller. TR just works with the PS controller.

I would pick up Legends and Anniversary - both are fun. The mechanics still feel a little dated, but I think the core game is still awesome.

Noted. I'll pick it/them up next time I see it/them.

And Amnesiac, the impression that a lot of people ended up with that the games were cheap, Mario-with-gun knockoffs with T&A was really never true. I've seen and played parts of the games. They're frequently solid.