PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Stay Puft
09-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Duke Nukem 3D on XBLA Sept.24 bitches.

I'm pretty excited. 8 player deathmatch and co-op over XBLA will be awesome. I spent many hours playing with friends over LAN back in the day.

Saya
09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
New Fable 2 pics. The artstyle is so good, I love it. It's only a month away! :P

http://www.xboxygen.com/upload/Gallery/fable2133.jpg

http://www.xboxygen.com/upload/Gallery/fable2152.jpg

http://www.xboxygen.com/upload/Gallery/fable2154.jpg

http://www.xboxygen.com/upload/Gallery/fable2155.jpg

http://www.xboxygen.com/upload/Gallery/fable2168.jpg

http://www.xboxygen.com/upload/Gallery/fable2163.jpg

http://www.xboxygen.com/upload/Gallery/fable2156.jpg

http://www.xboxygen.com/upload/Gallery/fable2162.jpg

Sycophant
09-16-2008, 05:38 AM
Just started Beyond Good and Evil tonight (I ordered a copy some months ago and it finally arrived). A little over an hour in. Already, I'm in love.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Just started Beyond Good and Evil tonight (I ordered a copy some months ago and it finally arrived). A little over an hour in. Already, I'm in love.

One of the best games ever made.

I finally got around to listening to the last episode of GFW Radio, aka "The Brodeo," and it was quite sad. I am really, really going to miss Jeff Green's insight. As a person who is more interested in reading and learning about games and the game industry than actually playing games, I valued Mr. Green's intelligence, sense of humor, and opinion greatly. When I was the books sales manager at Tower Records, reading his monthly Greenspeak column was highlight of stocking the magazine racks. Loosing Green's unique voice is a huge blow for games journalism; in my opinion it is like loosing Ebert as a critic, or Stephen King as a writer. Green had become an industry staple, and he set the standard, and now we will no longer get to read or hear his input given so freely.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Rock Band 2 has reminded me of how much I hate Fleetwood Mac. Ugh. I wish you could turn some songs off so that they will never appear in a mystery set list.

Kurosawa Fan
09-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Fleetwood Mac > Daniel Lanois

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Fleetwood Mac = milquetoast mom rock

Kurosawa Fan
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Fleetwood Mac = milquetoast mom rock

Some would call Daniel Lanois the same, only replacing mom with dad, and rock with easy listening.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Some would call Daniel Lanois the same, only replacing mom with dad, and rock with easy listening.

Nah. He's way too sonically interesting and has been involved in far too many groundbreaking rock productions.

You know, I do like other musicians. You could pick on Brian Eno, Pink Floyd, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, and others as well. I like lots of music!

:lol:

I'm prepared for the Fleetwood Mac mom-squad backlash, bring it on! I am very secure in my disdain for this band.

bac0n
09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Nah. He's way too sonically interesting and has been involved in far too many groundbreaking rock productions.

You know, I do like other musicians. You could pick on Brian Eno, Pink Floyd, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, and others as well. I like lots of music!

I'm prepared for the Fleetwood Mac mom-squad backlash, bring it on! I am very secure in my disdain for this band.

Never been a big fan of Fleetwood Mac, tho I absolutely ADORE Lindsey Buckingham's solo projects.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Anywho, back to Rock Band 2.

So far, there are only 2 tracks I don't like.

While I like the song, Watcha' Want, by the Beastie Boys, it is incredibly boring to play. It is probably fun to sing/rap, but they could have picked a better B-Boys song, something off of Pauls' Boutique would have been awesome.

And while I hate-with-all-body the Fleetwood Mac song, it is, at least, kind of fun to play, and offers a pretty good challenge on the guitar.

The game is just amazing - there are so many little touches that make it exponentially better than RB1. While the core game is the same, these little things really elevate the experience to near perfection.

So far I like playing everything else I've come across.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh yeah, and I got to unlock Lush's Deluxe last night. Awesome. They really need a shoegazer pack, that would be cool. I would love to see more underground late-80s, early-90s alt-rock in the game. A whole 120 Minutes album would be awesome. Or a post-punk album, with some Gang of Four, early New Order or Joy Division, some Minute Men....man, there are so many bands and songs I would love to see in this game.

I would do a lot to get the first Stone Roses album...of course I can already play most of it on the real bass...

I love seeing the Duran Duran stuff in the game, and it's cool to hear those younger players talk about how amazing the bass lines are in these songs. It's incredible to think that, at one time, Duran Duran was totally commercial top 40; the amount of talent in that band is just incredible. Now we have stuff like Brittney Spears on the radio. Ugh.

Sven
09-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Bodhisattva!

Skitch
09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
My roommate just left to pick up his preorder of Star Wars Unleashed...can't wait to see it in action!

Sven
09-16-2008, 09:01 PM

You drop "sonically interesting" down on the table a lot, as though that were a solid defense of your opinion. And it is, no doubt. Q: Why do you like certain music? A: Because it sounds interesting.

However, when you pull that out in this context, what you're doing is you're imposing a weight of objectivity against the band you are opposing. Ie, you're saying that Fleetwood Mac is NOT sonically interesting. Here you're distancing yourself from your opinion by addressing Lanois in the positive as a tactical offensive against Mac.

Addressing the criticism itself, I don't know how someone, particularly someone like you with an ear for musical production, can dis on the Mac. Especially Rumours. That shit's genius, man.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
It's my phrase for the year. And I don't find anything interesting about Fleetwood Mac. I've heard Rumors, Tusk, and the Greatest Hits, and they all bored me to tears. I find their music to be the definition of dullsville. It's like the generic music you hear on those Time Life "Best of the '70s" commercials.

:shrug:

I'll live. Plenty of other awesome music out there to love.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Bodhisattva!

I haven't unlocked this one yet, I'm sure it's pretty hard though.

Sven
09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
It's my phrase for the year. And I don't find anything interesting about Fleetwood Mac. I've heard Rumors, Tusk, and the Greatest Hits, and they all bored me to tears. I find their music to be the definition of dullsville. It's like the generic music you hear on those Time Life "Best of the '70s" commercials.

:shrug:

I'll live.

I love you anyway. Always will. To get even, I'll just reiterate my boredom with Brian Wilson. :cool: Do you like The Cars?

And yeah, I haven't played the game yet, but my bro says that Bodhisattva is very tough, and this is a kid that gets gold stars on Flirtin' with Disaster on expert.

Non-sequitur plug: Did you see my latest entry on the top 100? I was thinking of you when I posted it, because you've been a vocal proponent as long as I've known you.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 09:33 PM
I love you anyway. Always will. To get even, I'll just reiterate my boredom with Brian Wilson. :cool: Do you like The Cars?

And yeah, I haven't played the game yet, but my bro says that Bodhisattva is very tough, and this is a kid that gets gold stars on Flirtin' with Disaster on expert.

Non-sequitur plug: Did you see my latest entry on the top 100? I was thinking of you when I posted it, because you've been a vocal proponent as long as I've known you.

:pritch:

I love The Cars - their first two albums, along with Duran Duran's first two albums, are among my favorites of the new wave. Amazing stuff - deceptively simple, and endlessly catchy: two ingredients for an amazing pop tune.

I've seen some of the note-charts from the Steely Dan song - it looks damn hard!

I haven't seen that thread yet...gimme a minute...

Sven
09-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I love The Cars - their first two albums, along with Duran Duran's first two albums, are among my favorites of the new wave. Amazing stuff - deceptively simple, and endlessly catchy: two ingredients for an amazing pop tune.

Funny that you speak of Duran Duran, because I've been on a mad DD kick over the last few days, completely unrelated to Rock Band. Have you heard their last album, Red Carpet Massacre? It's quite awesome. My favorite albums of theirs are The Wedding Album, Seven and the Ragged Tiger, and Notorious.

As for The Cars: have you heard Shake It Up? Shockingly good. Comparable to Candy-O, in my opinion. But then, I love Panorama as well. I might be a fanboy, I'm not sure. At any rate, did you download their album to play in Rock Band? That, along with the first Boston album, are pretty much all I need in that game.

D_Davis
09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Funny that you speak of Duran Duran, because I've been on a mad DD kick over the last few days, completely unrelated to Rock Band. Have you heard their last album, Red Carpet Massacre? It's quite awesome. My favorite albums of theirs are The Wedding Album, Seven and the Ragged Tiger, and Notorious.

As for The Cars: have you heard Shake It Up? Shockingly good. Comparable to Candy-O, in my opinion. But then, I love Panorama as well. I might be a fanboy, I'm not sure. At any rate, did you download their album to play in Rock Band? That, along with the first Boston album, are pretty much all I need in that game.

I have not heard the newest DD album. I've pretty much loved them since forever. Seven and the Ragged Tiger was the very first tape I ever purchased - I was in 3rd grade. I bought it and Weird Al in 3-D on the same day and never looked back. They are an absolutely amazing band, and one that does not get the serious and critical praise they so rightly deserve. John Taylor is the best rock bassist I've ever heard - period. That dude is skillful and plays with an uncanny taste for melody. Their first three albums are pure pop genius.

Hold Back the Rain is a favorite song of mine.

I don't think I've ever heard Shake it Up. I only have the first 2 albums. I'll check it out. I did by the album on Rock Band, and, unfortunately, it's not as fun to play as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I love the music to listen to, but it's just not very much fun to play with in Rock Band - they desperately need a key board, or at least they should have charted the kb parts to a guitar.

Sven
09-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Hold Back the Rain is a favorite song of mine.

Great song. My favorite is Is There Something I Should Know. One time, on a Saturday, I took my bicycle and rode it through the halls of my last college at full speed with that song on repeat. Such an incredible memory.

Biff Justice
09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
I'll get in on the RB2 talk since its been my obsession since picking it up on Sunday.

Loving the majority of the songs and the new changes. Its so much easier to follow the charts now, not that I noticed it being difficult before, but after playing 2 for a couple days, I don't think I could go back.

The song list, as I said is great, but a little more strum happy than the first one on guitar which I don't particularly like, not finding nearly as many songs that are just plain "fun" as in the first one.

But, my expertise is vocals, and here I'm having a great time. The list as a whole is much, much better for vocalists in my opinion. The only gripe I have is that they seemed to have fixed the "talking parts" a little too well. I really didn't have a hard time with them like many in the first game, and now they are just ridiculously easy. Doing "Give It Away" last I had a minor coughing fit at one point, and it still registered me as doing the song fine, I gold starred it and got 100% on Expert when there were two lines I didn't even sing since I was choking.

Favorite songs so far (I haven't unlocked nearly everything): Pump It Up - I've been wanting Elvis Costello in Rock Band since it came out, Spirit in the Sky, Aqualung, My Own Worst Enemy, and the one that surprised me... Nine in the Afternoon.

Saya
09-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Shawn Elliot is also leaving 1UP for 2K Boston. That's it for 1UP.

Skitch
09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Ohhhhh, I got Lost Odyessy for 360 yesterday.

...can't...put...down....need. ......fooooood...

D_Davis
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Shawn Elliot is also leaving 1UP for 2K Boston. That's it for 1UP.

Man.

That blows. Oh well, good for those guys.

I still miss Jeff Green.

bac0n
09-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Last night, I sat down in front of the TV, and my wife made me as a golfer in Tiger Woods 09. It looks so much like me, it's sorta disturbing. :eek:

Scar
09-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Last night, I sat down in front of the TV, and my wife made me as a golfer in Tiger Woods 09. It looks so much like me, it's sorta disturbing. :eek:

We tried using the GameFace option on '08, but the servers pissed me off so much we just made our own.

I nickname Jess' character 'Chesty McChesty'.....

Stay Puft
09-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot. Damn. The enthusiast press just lost two of its most intelligent and talented writers. Their absence will definitely be felt.

bac0n
09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
We tried using the GameFace option on '08, but the servers pissed me off so much we just made our own.

I nickname Jess' character 'Chesty McChesty'.....

Things aren't any better for '09. I tried multiple times to do the GameFace, but I got network errors each time and decided to give up and have Traci build one from scratch.

D_Davis
09-19-2008, 12:48 PM
So Sean Elliot is not leaving 1Up - his blog was just a joke.

This was the last episode of GFW though. I hope those guys do another podcast.

bac0n
09-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Downloaded a demo for Pure last night - fun game! It's kinda like Freekstyle, but replace the nu-metal with Billy Squire and the suck with awesome. I might need to pick it up once it hits the cheap rack.

Saya
09-19-2008, 01:39 PM
So Sean Elliot is not leaving 1Up - his blog was just a joke.

This was the last episode of GFW though. I hope those guys do another podcast.

How do you know that?

He said in the last podcast that he is leaving (he first says it was a joke about 3 minutes in, but later confirms he is leaving) and will be working on the new Spiderman game from 2K Boston under Ken Levine. Also, Skip and Jeff Green already have posted on their blogs about this.

D_Davis
09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
How do you know that?

He said in the last podcast that he is leaving (he first says it was a joke about 3 minutes in, but later confirms he is leaving) and will be working on the new Spiderman game from 2K Boston under Ken Levine. Also, Skip and Jeff Green already have posted on their blogs about this.

Oh, dammit! I haven't finished the podcast yet!

:)

D_Davis
09-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Downloaded a demo for Pure last night - fun game! It's kinda like Freekstyle, but replace the nu-metal with Billy Squire and the suck with awesome. I might need to pick it up once it hits the cheap rack.

I've heard it's like SSX on ATVs; is this a good description?

If so, I'll pick it up.

Saya
09-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh, dammit! I haven't finished the podcast yet!

Ahh... I thought he pulled another prank on us! :P

bac0n
09-19-2008, 04:27 PM
I've heard it's like SSX on ATVs; is this a good description?

If so, I'll pick it up.

From the one track I've played, yeah, that comparison is fair. Specifically, it's like SSX3 on ATVs - wicked air, controls that are easy to pick up (I was pulling some tricks after about 10 minutes), and some pretty crazy tricks, tho not the variety of tricks you would see in SSX. It makes up for that, tho, with some pretty awesome wipeouts, hehe, and lets not forget, Billy Squire.

Sven
09-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Mr. Davis, Stone Roses's Love Spreads is coming to Rock Band next Tuesday!

D_Davis
09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Mr. Davis, Stone Roses's Love Spreads is coming to Rock Band next Tuesday!

Nice! While I would prefer just about anything from the far superior first album (like, say, the whole damn thing), Love Spreads will be a fun song to play in RB. I saw that this song is in the new Guitar Hero, and I was a bit jealous - but now, I don't need to be!

Saya
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Just downloaded Braid on XBL and played the first two worlds. It's just brilliant! Worth every penny.

Ezee E
09-22-2008, 12:25 PM
My roommate is trying out gamefly.

First game: Condemned.

Milky Joe
09-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Mega Man 9 came out today!!

Dukefrukem
09-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Wipeout HD is coming out this Thursday on the PS3...

Sycophant
09-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Mega Man 9 came out today!!I knew there was a reason I wanted to go home tonight.

Sycophant
09-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Okay, Mega Man 9 is freaking awesome. So awesome, I felt the need to write a rambling 1,000 word blog post (http://whatnot.bombdotcom.net/2008/09/mega-man-9-and-platform-as-genre.html) about why I believe this is a brilliant choice both for Mega Man and for video games, explain a bit of my personal history with one of my favorite video game series, and use a lofty headline that I didn't really address as well as I should have. But you don't have to read it. I played it for two hours tonight, only beat one of the bosses, and can't get to the checkpoint in half the stages. Not yet, anyway. I have the first six games in the series pretty much imprinted in my memory, so I'm pretty much experiencing something awesome I haven't had in the last ten years.

Morris Schæffer
09-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Okay, Mega Man 9 is freaking awesome. So awesome, I felt the need to write a rambling 1,000 word blog post (http://whatnot.bombdotcom.net/2008/09/mega-man-9-and-platform-as-genre.html) about why I believe this is a brilliant choice both for Mega Man and for video games, explain a bit of my personal history with one of my favorite video game series, and use a lofty headline that I didn't really address as well as I should have. But you don't have to read it. I played it for two hours tonight, only beat one of the bosses, and can't get to the checkpoint in half the stages. Not yet, anyway. I have the first six games in the series pretty much imprinted in my memory, so I'm pretty much experiencing something awesome I haven't had in the last ten years.

Is this a new game in the series, but with 8-bit graphics?

Saya
09-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Is this a new game in the series, but with 8-bit graphics?

Yep!

Damn, it's not out for the 360 yet.

Morris Schæffer
09-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Yep!

Damn, it's not out for the 360 yet.

Ah so it's coming for the 360. Cuz I still haven't taken the time to figure out how to download all the classics on the Wii. I'm sure it's real simple.

Morris Schæffer
09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Shadow of the LittleBig Colossus:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/23/parsons-students-create-shadow-of-the-littlebigcolossus/

Sycophant
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
MM9 is coming to the PS3 also. Everyone with a current-gen console can get on this awesome action.

Though there's something simply wonderful about playing it on Nintendo's machine, with the 1 and 2 buttons and the classic D-pad.

D_Davis
09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Shadow of the LittleBig Colossus:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/23/parsons-students-create-shadow-of-the-littlebigcolossus/

I cannot even begin to fathom how awesome Little Big Planet is.

If it is half as good as I think it is based on the stuff I've read and seen, it could very well be one of the greatest games ever made.

Skitch
09-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I finally bought Condemned. Unfortunately, I think it's gonna be sitting a while...I'm diggin Lost Odyessy. :)

Milky Joe
09-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Yes, yes yes. This game does not fuck around. I managed to beat Galaxy Man and Plug Man. The level design is fantastic.

Sycophant
09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes, yes yes. This game does not fuck around. I managed to beat Galaxy Man and Plug Man. The level design is fantastic.I beat Galaxy Man (on my first try, no less) last night, got to Plug Man about four times, and nearly killed Cocnrete Man once. That's the best I've got so far, though I'm continually getting a little farther in most levels.

I don't know if a Mega Man title has ever actually felt this tight in terms of level design. It feels much more precise than even the best entries.

Milky Joe
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
I beat Galaxy Man (on my first try, no less) last night, got to Plug Man about four times, and nearly killed Cocnrete Man once. That's the best I've got so far, though I'm continually getting a little farther in most levels.

I don't know if a Mega Man title has ever actually felt this tight in terms of level design. It feels much more precise than even the best entries.

It seems Galaxy Man is the one to start out with, because I beat him on my first try too. And yeah, the level design is ace, really well thought out. I like how most of the levels are based around a certain concept, which is introduced early on in an innocuous way, and then expanded on as the level progresses. And then from what I hear the Wily stages do all sorts of things to fuck with your expectations.

Saya
09-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Crap, the XBL releasedate for MM9 is October 1st. :sad:

EyesWideOpen
09-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I cannot even begin to fathom how awesome Little Big Planet is.

If it is half as good as I think it is based on the stuff I've read and seen, it could very well be one of the greatest games ever made.

I've probably read and watched more about Little Big Planet then anyone without a PS3 should and i still have no idea where all this hype is coming from.

When I pay a developer money by buying his game i expect him to make the game for me not for him to give me the tools and then i make my own game.

D_Davis
09-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I've probably read and watched more about Little Big Planet then anyone without a PS3 should and i still have no idea where all this hype is coming from.

I don't think it's hype - seems like the praise is worthy to me.

When I pay a developer money by buying his game i expect him to make the game for me not for him to give me the tools and then i make my own game.

There is a full-fledged huge game in addition to the ability to make everything.

You can play this for dozens of hours without ever having to create anything, and continue to play without creating by downloading user and developer generated content.

Milky Joe
09-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Beat Jewel Man, Hornet Man, and Splash Woman today. Magma Man and Concrete Man are hard. I still haven't even made it to Tornado Man. This game is mega fun (wow no pun intended honestly, that just came out), and makes me really happy that I bought the MM Anniversary Collection a few months ago. Look forward to revisiting MM2 after this.

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Man, never thought Megaman was so revered by some. Perhaps I'll get the 360 release although there's no element of nostalgia for me. Will it still work its charm?

Scar
09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Started up GTAIV again last night. As soon as I got the cell phone, I entered in a few cheat codes. Nothing like rescuing your cousin using an assault rifle instead of your fists! :lol:

Justin
09-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Duke Nukem 3D just got released today on the XBLA. Sweet, sweet nostalgia.

D_Davis
09-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Man, never thought Megaman was so revered by some. Perhaps I'll get the 360 release although there's no element of nostalgia for me. Will it still work its charm?

I'll be the voice of dissent and say no. Even with nostalgia (I still remember the day I bought the first game - saved up allowance for that game with the terrible cover) I simply cannot muster any amount of enthusiasm for this game. I would much rather see a new Mega Man Legends game, or at least an updated 2D game in which new techniques and modern game play conventions are utilized.

Who knows though, you may discover a new-found love for MM. At least there will be a demo on the 360 so you will be able to see for yourself.

Does Wiiware offer demos?

Stay Puft
09-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Duke Nukem 3D just got released today on the XBLA. Sweet, sweet nostalgia.

Indeed. Just finished a handful of dukematches online. It was good old fun.

Saya
09-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Just finished Braid. Great puzzle game. Definitely check it out if you have XBL.

Also, there is a countdown on Bungie' site. 10 minutes left from now. Let's hope it's a new game announcement.

Saya
09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Damn, no new game. It's something Halo 3 related, maybe an expansion or something. The teaser trailer doesn't reveal much.

Ezee E
09-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Damn, no new game. It's something Halo 3 related, maybe an expansion or something. The teaser trailer doesn't reveal much.
I got some update online. Faster times or something. Was that it?

Saya
09-25-2008, 03:03 PM
I got some update online. Faster times or something. Was that it?

That was another thing. I think you meant this update (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=15545)?

The countdown thing is supposedly some kind of new campaign experience or something. It's all still very vague. Here's the link to the new teaser trailer. (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=15574)

D_Davis
09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Jack Thompson....

Disbarred!

http://kotaku.com/5054772/jack-thompson-disbarred

Lucky
09-26-2008, 02:55 AM
I also beat Galaxy Man first. Then I went to Jewel Man and completely lucked out with him being weak against Galaxy Man's weapon. Anyone want to hint me about who's weak against the jewel shield? I know it's not Concrete Man...he killed me in about 7 seconds.

Saya
09-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Studio Ghibli will start making games now as well. They are working together with Level 5 on a RPG for the DS called Ninokuni. And Joe Hisaishi is doing the music for the game.

Here are some screenshots:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1218381_1124.html

It does have the Ghibli look.

Stay Puft
09-26-2008, 08:08 PM
And Joe Hisaishi is doing the music for the game.

:eek:

Sycophant
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Finished off the eighth robot master in Mega Man 9 yesterday (Magma Man; first try). Played around with Wily's stage a bit, but decided I'd pulled out enough hair for one day.

So I've been playing the Mega Man X Collection and polished off Mega Man X. Hope the series stays as fun as it is.

Skitch
09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I paid full price for the my first video game since Perfect Dark for N64...preordered Fable 2. Yes!

Saya
09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, the NDA for Gears of War 2 just lifted and lots of screenshots and info is being released now.

I'm really looking forward to this game. Partly because it features a new multiplayer mode called Horde (http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/gears-of-war-2/preview/horde-gears-of-war-2s-most-exciting-multi-player-addition/a-20080926142827921042/g-2007031211164597054). It's basically a mode where you fight wave after wave of enemies alone or with a group of players. It's kinda surprising that a multiplayer mode like that hasn't been done more before in other games. It's so simple and sounds awesome.

Interview with Cliff Bleszinski about Gears 2 and Jazz Jackrabbit (http://www.insidegamer.nl/xbox360/gearsofwar2/videos/8614) (lots of new footage)

Also, screenshots:

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9476/1560_0004.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9476/1560_0005.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9476/1560_0010.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9476/1560_0015.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9478/1560_0004.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9476/1560_0014.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9476/1560_0012.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9476/1560_0013.jpg

Morris Schæffer
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm probably going to play some more Braid and Bionic Commando Rearmed inthe coming weeks, but starting November I'll be gearing up for uhm, Gears of War and Mirror's Edge.

Saya
09-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Don't forget Left 4 Dead. :)

Morris Schæffer
09-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Don't forget Left 4 Dead. :)

I'm unable to determine just how awesome that's gonna be.

::waits for the first person to say "but, but it has zombies!"::

D_Davis
09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
There are too many potentially awesome games coming out:

Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3
Dead Space
Midnight Club Los Angeles
Farcry 2
Banjo Kazooie
Left for Dead (it's from Valve, that's all you should need to know)
Tomb Raider Underworld (my most anticipated)
Prince of Persia

All within the next 3 months, and these are just for the 360!

That's awesome.

Saya
09-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Yep, and that's doesn't even include the Arcade titles. Good times. :)

Also, you guys remember Alan Wake (the game inspired by Twin Peaks / In the Mouth of Madness for the 360)? We haven't heard anything about it for a long time, but there's a rumor that on October 17th a new gameplay trailer will be released. I'm glad that is seems that this project isn't dead.

The last trailer of this game was released in 2006. (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10520.html)

Ivan Drago
09-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3
Dead Space
Farcry 2
Banjo Kazooie
Prince of Persia

That's awesome.

Yeah...and I'm still stuck with a PS2. :sad:

Ezee E
10-01-2008, 01:44 AM
All those games are reruns or sequels. :(

monolith94
10-01-2008, 02:13 AM
And I've never owned a console.

D_Davis
10-01-2008, 04:58 AM

Yakuza 2 just came out (or is coming out soon).

That's supposed to be awesome.

Morris Schæffer
10-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3
Dead Space
Farcry 2
Banjo Kazooie
Prince of Persia

That's awesome.

I only go for Triple AAA titles or at least titles that offer something entirely new such as Mirror's Edge. Dead Space for instance looks like generic sci-fi survival horror such as Cold Fear from 3-5 years ago. I'll keep an open mind though and await the reviews.

Saw a video of Banjo-Kazooie yesterday that looked tremendous with objects hidden away in all kinds of deviously located nooks and crannies.

I'm also hoping for Quantum of Solace to finally put to pasture Rare's Goldeneye 007 as the defacto standard for Bond Games.

hahahahaha yeah right!

Saya
10-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Mega Man 9 is up on Xbox Live now. :pritch:

Saya
10-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I played MM9 for a bit today and Galaxy Man was pretty easy. Jewel Man's level kicked my ass though! Haven't tried the other stages yet.

Good game!

http://i34.tinypic.com/300fw1v.jpg

Sycophant
10-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Galaxy Man was shockingly easy compared to pretty much every other level and boss. It felt a bit more like a Mega Man 5 or 6 level. I guess Splash Woman's level was pretty easy (except for some tricky jumps right near the end).

number8
10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20081001.jpg

Saya
10-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Man, I love Penny Arcade.

Nintendo announced the DSi today during their conference.

Nintendo DSi

http://i33.tinypic.com/2rzqfis.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2uysv1e.jpg

- 3.25 inch screens (DS = 3 inch)
- Has an inside and outside camera, 0.3 megapixels
- Has SD slot on right-hand side.
- Has onboard memory
- Comes with web browser
- Comes with app to detect some DS hotspots
- Has Apps store like iPod
- Apps are free/300/500/800 points
- Other apps include an app that allows you to make flipbooks using the cameras
- No GBA slot
- 18900 yen
- 1000 points for free if you buy before march 2010
- Possibly minorly upped resolution
- November in Japan, 2009 elsewhere.
- Black and white versions.

Some Wii news:

- storage solution involves making SD card easier, coming in spring 2009
- you get 500 points if you help a friend set up their wii online
- wii comes with video explaining wii online functions

And the sequel to one of the best games ever is coming to the Wii in 2009. Sin & Punishment 2. :pritch:

You can watch a montage of upcoming 2008/2009 games for the Wii/DS here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/index.html (scroll down a bit, the link is under the "Nintendo Conference" heading

Morris Schæffer
10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Also on the Nintendo front:

http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/09/30/new-wii-due-by-2011/

Ah yes, Metroid Prime 4 or 5 in true high-def.:cool:

Saya
10-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Couple new screenshots from Oboro Muramasa (Wii). I think it looks awesome and it's from the guys that made Odin Sphere for the PS2.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20081002/wiiss71.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20081002/wiiss72.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20081002/wiiss73.jpg

D_Davis
10-02-2008, 05:39 PM
That does look nice.

Hopefully the game is more fun and better conceived than Odin Sphere.

D_Davis
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Sin and Punishment 2, awesome.

Sycophant
10-02-2008, 06:16 PM
I want Oboro Muramasa so bad.

And is Sin & Punishment really that good? I may have to download it from Virtual Console.

Also, I don't understand why more people aren't celebrating the ability to run games off the SD cards, which is apparently what the storage solution does (some slight ambiguity there, but I'm pretty confident that's what they mean). A lot better than Nintendo charging us $150 for a special 30 gig hard drive or something.

Sadly, the DSi won't be coming to America till some time well into 2009. The really exciting thing about it as far as I'm concerned is that there will be a DS shop equivalent to the Wii shop. Does this mean Game Boy-era VC? If so, I'm in.

Oh, America's also getting Club Nintendo, the special exclusives club American Nintendo fans have been jealous of for ages.

D_Davis
10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
And is Sin & Punishment really that good? I may have to download it from Virtual Console.

It's my favorite game on the N64.

Get on it man!

D_Davis
10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Reading about Oboro Muramasa leaves me less than thrilled. From what I gather, it's basically Odin Sphere with different graphics. While that game looked great, there was nothing to the game play - one of the most vapid gaming experiences in recent memory. It was like trying to get full of cotton candy. The eye candy was out of control, but there was nothing beyond that.

Hopefully Vanillaware can inject some good gameplay into this to back up their amazing art direction.

Saya
10-03-2008, 06:15 PM
22 new Resident Evil 5 screenshots. Damn, this game looks so hot and the screens are all in-game.

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0001.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0002.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0003.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0004.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0005.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0006.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0007.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0008.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0009.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0010.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0011.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0012.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0013.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0014.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0015.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0016.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0017.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0018.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0019.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0020.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0021.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9500/857_0022.jpg

Morris Schæffer
10-03-2008, 06:24 PM
It's going to blow even Mega Man 9 outta of the water! Outta the dang water I tell ya!!

bac0n
10-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Wow. I am SO looking forward to RE5.

Skitch
10-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Holy hell.

Hurm, lot of dual lifebars. Hopefully not too much escort.

"Follow me!"

"Leon!"

"Wait!"

"Leon!"

Sycophant
10-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Hurm, lot of dual lifebars. Hopefully not too much escort.I think the majority of the game, you have an NPC partner who fights zombies with you.

Milky Joe
10-04-2008, 02:18 AM
PUNCH OUT!! (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40745.html)

And made by Next Level games, makers of Mario Strikers Charged, one of the best games on the Wii.

Saya
10-04-2008, 08:45 AM
First new screen of Alan Wake. It's a screenshot of the trailer that will be released soon. I think it looks great.

http://i34.tinypic.com/30rqtfk.jpg

Also, an interview with one of the developers of Alan Wake. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170347)

1UP: Can you talk about the themes of the game and more about the television show/DVD box set inspired story-telling? How is this evident in the actual game?

SL: The game is a psychological action thriller, and as such, everything revolves around the mind of the main character -- the things that lurk in the depths of his subconscious mind. How an artist transports what's inside him, in this case his fears, to the outside world through his art. Themes that many writers have explored -- Stephen King for one, Paul Auster, Bret Easton Ellis, and so on.

We think of Alan Wake as Alan Wake season one; the game is the DVD box of a season of a television series turned into a videogame. The experience is divided into episodes with cliffhanger endings and there is a supporting cast of characters around Wake himself.

Saya
10-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Holy hell.

Hurm, lot of dual lifebars. Hopefully not too much escort.

"Follow me!"

"Leon!"

"Wait!"

"Leon!"

I think these screens are mostly from co-op mode. And I'm also pretty sure that Sheva is no Ashley. She can actually use a weapon, so she's not completely useless if you play a solo game I guess. :P

Ezee E
10-04-2008, 01:34 PM
There hasn't been a game since the Playstation 1 days that I'll go out of my way and play right when it comes out. Resident Evil 5 will change that.

Stay Puft
10-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I think these screens are mostly from co-op mode. And I'm also pretty sure that Sheva is no Ashley. She can actually use a weapon, so she's not completely useless if you play a solo game I guess. :P

Yeah, in an interview the designer mentioned that Sheva was created as a response to Ashley, which they recognized as being problematic for many players. The idea of co-op has got me excited for this game all over again. Of course, we can only hope that, in playing solo, the AI for Sheva won't be lacking. And it's probably too much to hope that, in its portrayal of characters such as Sheva, the game might actually be progressive (or moreso than videogames are wont to be).

Morris Schæffer
10-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Fuck, Quantum of Solace looks cool:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40833.html

Graphics are perhaps not quite astounding, but pretty good. Some neat ideas also such as the picture-in-picture.

What I hate is Craig's entirely expressionless face. How hard can it be to come up with a fully articulated face?

Sycophant
10-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Staying up tonight till I beat Mega Man 9. On the allegedly last Dr. Wily stage. Here goes!

Morris Schæffer
10-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Deus Ex 3 details emerge:

You're cast as average joe Adam Jensen, who works as a private security officer at a technology lab specialising in biomechanical augmentations, a forerunner to the sort of nanotechnology shown in the original Deus Ex. One day the path of his life is unexpectedly altered as a team of black ops commandos break into his company's HQ, and using a security plan from Jensen's own hand, a mass slaughter ensues and the conspiracy begins.

It sounds like Eidos Montreal isn't leaving anything to chance; a "powerful, layered" plot is promised for the third game - which has been confirmed as a prequel set in 2027- and the dev has even drafted in the consultative talents of original writer Sheldon Pacotti, while also gaining the blessing of both Harvey Smith and Warren Spector on the project.

Eidos Montreal says it's more than aware of fan reaction to controversial second game, Invisible War, and promises mistakes, such as limiting ammo types to just one, won't be repeated.

This said, they are doing their utmost to please newcomers as well as existing fans. Perhaps controversially this time around combat won't be influenced by stats, but will rely purely on your personal marksmanship skills. Instead stats will influence "a vast array of fully upgradeable and customisable weapons", and you'll be able to tailor your arsenal to your play style with mag upgrades, scopes and other add-ons.

What's more, stealth will now rely on a cover system rather than shadows, and damage will be dealt with by a very Call of Duty-style auto-heal. There's probably going to be some debate over those two.

Augmentations have been bumped up and sound fantastic. 20 have been promised for the final game, ranging from 'bungee jump' tentacles that shoot from your back and anchor to a wall when you jump off a building, and the ability to punch through walls to grab enemies in neighbouring rooms.

Sycophant
10-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Staying up tonight till I beat Mega Man 9. On the allegedly last Dr. Wily stage. Here goes!
Beat it. It was awesome. Natch.

Saya
10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Beat it. It was awesome. Natch.

Cool!

I don't think I'll ever finish this game, it's kicking my ass so far. I can only play it for about 20 minutes each time before I get too frustrated and angry. :)

Sycophant
10-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Cool!

I don't think I'll ever finish this game, it's kicking my ass so far. I can only play it for about 20 minutes each time before I get too frustrated and angry. :)
I actually didn't beat it last night, because in my assault on Wily, I used my last Energy Tank and then died. What's really fantastic is watching myself improve in response to the game mechanics and the patterns of the levels and enemies. There are 4 Wily stages, and the first 3 took me about two or three hours to get through the first time, each with numerous game overs. Then this morning, I blew through all of them, died only twice, in about twenty minutes.

I think I'll play it through again as Proto Man. His mode becomes available for $2.00 on WiiWare tomorrow. Probably gonna be a little easier too.

How far've you been able to get?

Saya
10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Not very far. I beat Galaxy Man and I got too the end of Splash Woman's level but didn't make it. Jewel Man and Concrete Man's stages both kicked my ass as well. I haven't tried the other stages yet though. Maybe I should try Hornet Man's stage because I heard his weapon is very useful against the other bosses.

Sycophant
10-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Hornet Man's weapon is one of the most useful in any MM game. He's tough as hell though.

Saya
10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
More Oboro Muramasa:

http://www.gpara.com/files/contents/p_l1223300906.jpg

http://www.gpara.com/files/contents/c_l1223300906_0.jpghttp://www.gpara.com/files/contents/c_l1223300906_1.jpg

http://www.gpara.com/files/contents/c_l1223300906_5.jpg

http://www.gpara.com/files/contents/c_l1223300906_6.jpg

http://www.gpara.com/files/contents/c_l1223300906_10.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20081002/wiiss72.jpg

D_Davis
10-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Great art!

Skitch
10-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Whoa! Nice!

Milky Joe
10-07-2008, 07:45 AM
So, Endless Mode came out today in Mega Man 9. It is excellent. This in itself would make for a truly amazing game if it were done for real.

Morris Schæffer
10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Timesplitters 4 artwork:

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Stranj/200810/1223369101_2_3.jpg

Winston*
10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
I've been getting temptations towards purchasing a PS3. Please convince me not to buy one, Match Cut, so these temptations will go away.

bac0n
10-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I've been getting temptations towards purchasing a PS3. Please convince me not to buy one, Match Cut, so these temptations will go away.

Please don't buy a PS3, cuz if you do, you will need to buy a big 1080p TV on which to view its awesome graphics and watch awesome blu-rays that will make your eyeballs explode such as speed racer. And then you'll have to get rid of your crappy entertainment center cuz it can hold a TV no larger than 32 inches across, and way to go douchebag, the TV you bought is over 50 inches across. And oh, you'll need to buy a new receiver cuz the one you got don't support no stinkin' HDMI. And worse, you'll need to spend USD $500 on that five foot HDMI cable to connect to your TV.

After spending all that money, you'll have no money left to spend on donuts and porn. And then where will you be?

Sycophant
10-07-2008, 05:33 PM
So, I was all like, with the charge shot, the shield, and the slide, Proto Man is gonna be easier than Mega Man! Wrong. Proto Man takes twice as much damage, is bumped back twice as far when hit, only allowed two bullets on screen at a time, and can't buy things from the shop. In other words, it's harder, and a somewhat different game. And I think I'm gonna try to clear it with him.

Stay Puft
10-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Gears 2..... the gore..... Jesus Christ.....

http://www.dko5.com/gow2_chainsaw.gif

http://www.dko5.com/gow2_shotty2body.gif

http://www.dko5.com/gow2_dualheadshot.gif

Saya
10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Hehe, Gears 2 looks so awesome. It's really gorey, but the game has an content filler to turn this stuff off if you want.

However, a new point of negotiation will become a factor this year; Gears of War 2 includes filters for both the violence, and the language. Microsoft informs us that the violence filter "turns the blood into sparks," while the language filter "takes out all the swear words."

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080811.jpg

Winston*
10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Please don't buy a PS3, cuz if you do, you will need to buy a big 1080p TV on which to view its awesome graphics and watch awesome blu-rays that will make your eyeballs explode such as speed racer. And then you'll have to get rid of your crappy entertainment center cuz it can hold a TV no larger than 32 inches across, and way to go douchebag, the TV you bought is over 50 inches across. And oh, you'll need to buy a new receiver cuz the one you got don't support no stinkin' HDMI. And worse, you'll need to spend USD $500 on that five foot HDMI cable to connect to your TV.

After spending all that money, you'll have no money left to spend on donuts and porn. And then where will you be?

I don't know what half of this means, but I think you've convinced me. No Playstation 3 for Winston*.

Scar
10-07-2008, 06:51 PM

I see someone's forgotten the oath they took on Saturday night....

And my TV is not over 50 inches!

:P

Dukefrukem
10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
First new screen of Alan Wake. It's a screenshot of the trailer that will be released soon. I think it looks great.

http://i34.tinypic.com/30rqtfk.jpg

Also, an interview with one of the developers of Alan Wake. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170347)

fuck beans that looks good.

Saya
10-08-2008, 10:06 AM
For all the podcast listeners:

Although GFW is dead, 1UP has a new PC podcast now. Ryan Scott is the new host and is joined by Tina Sanchez, Anthony Gallegos aka Chuff and Matt Chandronait. It's no GFW, but I thought the first episode was actually a lot better than I expected. Ryan was a pretty good host.

The podcast doesn't have a name yet though, but they are looking for name suggestions.

D_Davis
10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
For all the podcast listeners:

Although GFW is dead, 1UP has a new PC podcast now. Ryan Scott is the new host and is joined by Tina Sanchez, Anthony Gallegos aka Chuff and Matt Chandronait. It's no GFW, but I thought the first episode was actually a lot better than I expected. Ryan was a pretty good host.

The podcast doesn't have a name yet though, but they are looking for name suggestions.

Very cool.

I've recently gotten into Gamers With Jobs, which is fantastic, and the Player One Podcast, which is OK.

D_Davis
10-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Ryan Scott talks more in this one podcast than he did in the entire 3-year run of CGW/GFW Radio.

I hope they get Roberto Max-Chill to stop by sometimes.

Stay Puft
10-09-2008, 02:00 AM
TGS is gearing up. New RE5 trailer:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21840

number8
10-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Best cake ever:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/legobatmancake.jpg

Stay Puft
10-09-2008, 02:53 AM
No More Heroes 2:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41032.html

Milky Joe
10-09-2008, 03:16 AM
The stuff I'm hearing about Little Big Planet is making me seriously froth for a PS3. I'm not sure I consider this a good thing.

Sycophant
10-09-2008, 05:59 AM
No More Heroes 2:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41032.html
Yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

I really couldn't hope for better video game news.

Saya
10-09-2008, 07:54 AM
TGS is gearing up. New RE5 trailer:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21840

That looks so awesome!

Saya
10-09-2008, 08:01 AM
39 new Oboro Muramasa pics here (http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr29225_oboro-muramasa-youtouden-nouvelles-images.html).

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60871520081009_045615_32_big.j pg

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60871520081009_045612_11_big.j pg

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60871520081009_045616_35_big.j pg

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60871520081009_045615_28_big.j pg

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60871520081009_045615_31_big.j pg

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60871520081009_045614_24_big.j pg

Wow.

EvilShoe
10-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Bioshock was indeed awesome. Not sure how I feel about a sequel being made though.

I'm currently going through Dead Rising. It's enjoyable. Not very fond of the save option.

Morris Schæffer
10-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, those Oboro pictures look fabulous!! But eh, is there anything happening in this game? It looks so sparse. Even the main character looks uncharacterystically huge.

Morris Schæffer
10-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Yakuza 3:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_8933_en.html

This has never been on my radar, but dang!

Morris Schæffer
10-09-2008, 11:00 AM
What the Goddamn fuck?!!

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7195_en.html

R-Type Dimensions for XBLA that's what!!!!!!

Saya
10-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, those Oboro pictures look fabulous!! But eh, is there anything happening in this game? It looks so sparse. Even the main character looks uncharacterystically huge.

It's a fast action game. Here's some gameplay footage (shitty quality of the video though):

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41056.html

I don't get the huge character though. I think they look normal. Just right the size I would say. :P

Morris Schæffer
10-09-2008, 11:02 AM
And more XBLA miracles:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7196_en.html

We've got bloody Arkanoid!!!!!

Saya
10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Heh, the Monster Hunter 3 booth at TGS:

http://i37.tinypic.com/im81e0.jpg

4 hour waiting line to play the game. Crazy. But then again, the Monster Hunter series is absolutely massive in Japan. :)

Saya
10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
And more XBLA miracles:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7196_en.html

We've got bloody Arkanoid!!!!!

Sweet! I have no idea what is happening on those Shadow Assault screens, but it does look interesting.

Saya
10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Hmm, it looks like Tekken 6 is also no longer PS3 exclusive. It's coming to the 360 too in the fall of 2009. That's pretty cool. I do hope they have the tag mode in this new game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198775.html?tag=topslot;title ;1

Skitch
10-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Whoa. Too bad the 360 dpad is the worst crap ever.

D_Davis
10-09-2008, 01:05 PM
What the Goddamn fuck?!!

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7195_en.html

R-Type Dimensions for XBLA that's what!!!!!!

Hopefully it's more R-Type Delta, and less R-Type Final.

D_Davis
10-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Heh, the Monster Hunter 3 booth at TGS:

4 hour waiting line to play the game. Crazy. But then again, the Monster Hunter series is absolutely massive in Japan. :)

I used to be such a Japanophile when it came to games, so jealous of the things they got and we didn't, so quick to dismiss western developers. Now, I look at things that Japanese gamers love and I can't conjure an ounce of enthusiasm for much of it.

Monster Hunter is one of those things.

D_Davis
10-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Have you guys heard of Good Old Games: http://www.gog.com/

I just got a beta key. Seems pretty cool.

They've got a bunch of older PC games for dl, $5.99 each. The best thing is that the games come with a launcher pre-packaged with everything you need to run them on new PCs - no need to hunt for patches and hacks.

It looks like all they have is Interplay stuff, but there are a ton of classics: Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Giants, Sacrifice, MDK, MDK 2, Earthworm Jim...

I'm definitely going to play through Fallout, I've never played the whole game.

Saya
10-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Have you guys heard of Good Old Games: http://www.gog.com/

That looks pretty neat. Kinda sucks that they don't seem to have any games for the Mac though. Just like Valve's Steam service. :sad:

D_Davis
10-09-2008, 04:28 PM
That looks pretty neat. Kinda sucks that they don't seem to have any games for the Mac though. Just like Valve's Steam service. :sad:

Games...on a Mac?

You mean like shareware?

monolith94
10-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Games...on a Mac?

You mean like shareware?

Ever played Escape Velocity?

No?

Didn't think so.

D_Davis
10-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Ever played Escape Velocity?

No?

Didn't think so.

No, but I've played the hell out of Dark Castle and Return to Dark Castle.

Oh, and Fool's Errand.

monolith94
10-09-2008, 05:13 PM
My friend, you're missing out. Oh, how many hours I frittered away on that supreme example of space action/sim. Heavily moddable too!

D_Davis
10-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh and the first Might and Magic on the Mac was awesome.

I never had a color Mac - I was old school, 512 baby.

monolith94
10-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Never played M&M. Now, Heroes of M&M, on the other hand. I shudder to think how many hours were spent on the second and third incarnations of that particular series.

Saya
10-09-2008, 06:20 PM
My friend, you're missing out. Oh, how many hours I frittered away on that supreme example of space action/sim. Heavily moddable too!

That was such a great game. I loved flying around and taking over solar systems and exploring that huge map. I always imported the ships from Star Wars and customized the Death Star with the best weapons available. Good times.

megladon8
10-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Been playing "CoD4" online obsessively the last two days.

Ezee E
10-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Been playing "CoD4" online obsessively the last two days.
Its strangely more addicting then other shoot-em-up games online.

Morris Schæffer
10-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Astounding Killzone 2 footage:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_8978_en.html

Especially the opening of that video! It really does look as immersive and spontaneous as that 2005 E3 video.

origami_mustache
10-10-2008, 01:46 PM
I work for a post-production house and our biggest client is The Ant Farm which does a ton of video game trailers...so I saw the new 2 minute Spiderman Web of Shadows launch trailer about a bazillion times. I'm not that into videogames, and don't even really like Spiderman, but the new trailer is fucking awesome...it's better than a lot of movie trailers I've seen...it should be out soon I guess.

megladon8
10-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Its strangely more addicting then other shoot-em-up games online.

It's the constant leveling up and unlocking.

"Halo 3" gets you up'ing in rank, but if I remember correctly it doesn't really do anything - it's just an online pissing contest.

But with "CoD4" you have all the unlockables like weapon modifications, perks, etc.

And the astounding thing is that none of these unlockable make the game "cheap" - it's not like someone who's at level 45 is impossible to beat, and someone at level 2 is a pushover.

It's really well balanced, and surprisingly deep.

megladon8
10-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Surprised no one's mentioned the new "Halo 3" game yet, "Halo 3: Recon" - comes out next fall.

Info. and trailer here. (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/everything-we-know-about-halo-3-recon/343/)

Can't figure out, though, if it's an expansion pack or a whole campaign.

Though, with the length of the "Halo" games, it's not like there'd be much of a difference. ZING!

Stay Puft
10-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Stand-alone expansion. So a new campaign.

megladon8
10-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Stand-alone expansion. So a new campaign.

Yeah but like, are we talking 3 new levels? Or a full game's worth of story/content?

Stay Puft
10-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Yeah but like, are we talking 3 new levels? Or a full game's worth of story/content?

The latter.

megladon8
10-11-2008, 04:00 AM
Thinking about buying a new game.

Can't decide between...

-Dead Space
-Battlefield: Bad Company
-Civilizations: Revolution

I'm thinking "Dead Space", because I could use a new horror game, and it's supposed to be bloody fantastic.

But "CoD4" has me in a war-game state of mind, and the whole "blow lots of shit up" factor has me intrigued.

And "Civ: Rev" is one I've been eyeing for a while.

I hate making decisions.

Saya
10-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Some info from the conference of my favorite developer Blizzcon 2008:

http://i34.tinypic.com/etw5dw.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/oifjr.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2yzcy0n.jpg

This inflatable thing is pretty funny if you've played WoW:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2rz5hrm.jpg

Starcraft 2 is now a trilogy:

StarCraft 2 Now A Trilogy, Three Campaigns to Be Split Into Separate Games (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55267)

Blizzard today announced that StarCraft II will be released as a trilogy of separate games, each concentrating on one of the universe's three factions.

The first game in the trilogy will consist of the Terran campaign, and is set to be titled "Terrans: Wings of Liberty."

The second Zerg-focused title will be "Zerg: Heart of the Swarm," with the third game being "Protoss: Legacy of the Void."
"[The second and third games] will be like expansion packs, but we really want them to feel like standalone products," said Blizzard's Rob Pardo.

Each campaign will be very different, with Pardo announcing the Zerg campaign will contain RPG elements. The Protoss campaigin will likewise be differentiated by elements of diplomacy. In addition, the Terran campaign will feature a Protoss mini-campaign.

The campaigns are planned as concentrated, epic storylines, with enough content to justify a full release. As a result, the games will now feature more in-game cinematics and story content.

Blizzard added that the plans for the multiplayer component are unchanged by the splitting of the campaigns. However, some units will now be unique to the campaigns and will not be playable in multiplayer.

Pardo noted that the decision was necessary to maintain the quality of the product, the alternatives either being a long delay of the game, or a scaling back of the campaigns.

Some new Starcraft 2 screenshots (kinda huge so I've put them in spoilertags):

http://i34.tinypic.com/6ru73b.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2yvkqdd.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qnm5ht.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/296ky9z.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/7139k2.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ngc2tf.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2akmiiq.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/amh4.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/16h4zkh.jpg

Diablo III has a new character class: The Wizard (http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/characters/wizard.xml)

And a short introduction movie for the Wizard (http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/movies/wizard.xml). It has some gameplay too and the spells look pretty neat.

from MMO-Champion:

12:00 Blizzard's "secret project" confirmed to be a new MMO with a brand new universe, but we won't hear anything about it before a while.

bac0n
10-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Can't decide between...

-Dead Space
-Battlefield: Bad Company
-Civilizations: Revolution

I can't speak to the other two, but I've been enjoying Civ:Rev.

On a different note, my buddy is on the beta for Little Big Planet, and we spent some time last night playing it.

All I can say is: it's kinda making me regret having purchased an XBox rather than a PS3...

Stay Puft
10-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Damn, it's still a month away and yet some people already have Gears 2. This guy (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gears-of-war-2) is currently playing through Horde mode.

Saya
10-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Damn, it's still a month away and yet some people already have Gears 2. This guy (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gears-of-war-2) is currently playing through Horde mode.

How did he get it? Has it leaked to the internet already?

Stay Puft
10-11-2008, 04:00 PM
How did he get it? Has it leaked to the internet already?

No, it hasn't leaked - and he won't say how he got it. There are discs circulating, however. The game is already finished, of course, and members of the enthusiast press are actually playing it for review this week. I guess he simply "knew a guy."

Saya
10-11-2008, 04:06 PM
No, it hasn't leaked - and he won't say how he got it. There are discs circulating, however. The game is already finished, of course, and members of the enthusiast press are actually playing it for review this week. I guess he simply "knew a guy."

Ah, right ok. I knew the game went gold earlier this week.

He's a lucky guy though. I watched a little bit of that stream and it looked amazing. I'm not going to watch anymore, I'll just have to wait patiently for November. :)

Stay Puft
10-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Oh, and he started playing the campaign, so if you don't want any spoilers you may want to not click that link.

Stay Puft
10-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I watched a little bit of that stream and it looked amazing. I'm not going to watch anymore, I'll just have to wait patiently for November. :)

Yeah, I watched for a couple minutes and then turned it off before he started up the campaign. I've been trying to avoid as much media as possible. I already know exactly what I'm doing Nov. 7 - waking up, heading out for my weekly GA meeting, then walking to EB and grabbing a copy, taking it home and jumping online.

Ivan Drago
10-11-2008, 05:39 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2yzcy0n.jpg

The Sword of 1000 Truths?

Scar
10-11-2008, 07:33 PM
All I can say is: it's kinda making me regret having purchased an XBox rather than a PS3...

Let me beat Metal Gear Solid 4 before I get it?

Saya
10-12-2008, 12:25 PM
The Sword of 1000 Truths?

Nah, it's some other sword from the game.

Saya
10-12-2008, 12:34 PM
More from Blizzcon 2008: the first two minutes of the opening cinematic of Starcraft II (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41395.html?type=)

Blizzard really makes some of the best CG cinematics in games. It looks fantastic.

Zerg vs. Terran trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41334.html)

Protoss vs. Terran trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41337.html)

Some more Starcraft II pics:

http://limitedgaming.com/files/125/Blizzcon08/Kerriganprerendered.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/125/Blizzcon08/Zeratulprerendered.jpg

http://limitedgaming.com/files/125/Blizzcon08/singleplayer_Screenshots05.jpg

EvilShoe
10-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Dead rising was fun, but the ending pissed me off.
I stayed inside the security room for a few hours, because I didn't want to miss my helicopter. When I arrived at the helipad on time, I got the ending where the helicopter pilot believes I've died because I'm not there.

Apparently I should've gotten a call by Isabella, and that would've allowed me to go into overtime and achieve the true ending. The only thing I can do now is to replay the game, which I'm not in the mood for as of now.

Saya
10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Yep, that ending sucked hard. I think you would like the true ending a lot more. It's a lot more action packed and epic. The final fight is pretty awesome. :)

I think it's funny that you can play the game by staying up in the security room and only do the main cases and still finish the game. You don't have to save any survivors if you don't want to.

Also, if you start a new game all your stats carry over, so you won't have to start from zero.

Saya
10-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Sweet!

Marvel VS. Capcom 2 has been rated by ESRB for the 360 and PS3. So that mean it will either be a downloadable title or maybe a HD remake?

Morris Schæffer
10-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Sweet!

Marvel VS. Capcom 2 has been rated by ESRB for the 360 and PS3. So that mean it will either be a downloadable title or maybe a HD remake?

Ah yes. I had this for the Dreamcast. The eye candy was sensational, but from what I vaguely remember, the game was more of a special powers festival rather than a technique-based brawler.

Incredibly varied character roster however. Fucking Jill Valentine summoning the undead! Strider Hiryu!!

number8
10-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Dead rising was fun, but the ending pissed me off.
I stayed inside the security room for a few hours, because I didn't want to miss my helicopter. When I arrived at the helipad on time, I got the ending where the helicopter pilot believes I've died because I'm not there.

Apparently I should've gotten a call by Isabella, and that would've allowed me to go into overtime and achieve the true ending. The only thing I can do now is to replay the game, which I'm not in the mood for as of now.

You should play again. The Overtime levels and boss fights are pretty fun.

Dukefrukem
10-13-2008, 04:53 PM
You should play again. The Overtime levels and boss fights are pretty fun.

agreed. I love that game.

Saya
10-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Ah yes. I had this for the Dreamcast. The eye candy was sensational, but from what I vaguely remember, the game was more of a special powers festival rather than a technique-based brawler.

Incredibly varied character roster however. Fucking Jill Valentine summoning the undead! Strider Hiryu!!

Yeah, definitely a game that was all about special powers and crazy combos with tag teams. It was fast and it looked great as well.

It seems they pulled the info from the ratings site now. They probably didn't want anyone to know it's coming out. A HD remake + online would be fantastic really.

I would rather see a Marvel vs. Capcom 3 get made, but that will probably never happen again because of licensing issues.

EyesWideOpen
10-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Sweet!

Sorry to ruin everyone's boat but that doesn't actually mean much of anything. Like it says in the article tons of games get rated by the ESRB and they never actually get released.

megladon8
10-13-2008, 11:10 PM
So...anyone else picking up "Dead Space"?

Ezee E
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah, definitely a game that was all about special powers and crazy combos with tag teams. It was fast and it looked great as well.

It seems they pulled the info from the ratings site now. They probably didn't want anyone to know it's coming out. A HD remake + online would be fantastic really.

I would rather see a Marvel vs. Capcom 3 get made, but that will probably never happen again because of licensing issues.
What licensing issues? It's just two companies behind them, unless they attempt to get Ed Norton and Tobey Maguire likenesses.

EyesWideOpen
10-14-2008, 12:05 AM

It's on my gamefly queue is that close enough?

megladon8
10-14-2008, 12:09 AM
It's on my gamefly queue is that close enough?

Yep :)

I have it on back-order (I think Amazon.ca only orders in a handful of games at a time), so let me know if I'm in for a treat.

It looks like it could be this year's "BioShock".

EyesWideOpen
10-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Yeah i hope for good things. The only games I plan on buying off the top of my head this year is the new Scene It, Mirror's Edge, Banjo Kazooie and Prince of Persia. All the other one's i'm really interested in will be rentals first.

I've already added a bunch to my gamefly queue (Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Legendary, Golden Axe: Beast Rider, Bionic Commando, Fable II, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon)

origami_mustache
10-14-2008, 09:28 AM
here's the new Spiderman: Web of Shadows trailer (http://www.g4tv.com/trailers/videos/29220/SpiderMan_Web_of_Shadows_Full_ Length_Launch_Trailer.html) I was talking up earlier.

Saya
10-14-2008, 09:57 AM
What licensing issues? It's just two companies behind them, unless they attempt to get Ed Norton and Tobey Maguire likenesses.

I don't think it is that easy. I believe some Marvel characters are exclusive to videogame companies. Like Spiderman and Activision. And Sega and the Hulk. But I'm not 100% sure about this though...

Saya
10-14-2008, 10:07 AM

I'm not sure if I should. There are so many interesting games coming out now.

Definitely let us know how it good it is when you have it. :)

Morris Schæffer
10-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Perhaps I'll pick up Dead Space. It looks like a genuinely interesting contender in the survival horror genre.

Skitch
10-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I am anticipating some reviews of Dead Space. I think the game looks sweet.

bac0n
10-14-2008, 02:44 PM
The video review for Dead Space on IGN looks pretty frickin' choice. Sounds like I would enjoy the game quite a bit. The only thing that gives me pause with the game is this: once you beat the game, you can start the game over again, carrying your upgrades & guns & stuff from a previous game. That's cool. What's not is the fact that you're stuck running the same difficulty as the game from which you imported your stuff. That's not. If I have better guns, I want more monsters to blast, which means a higher difficulty level. Still, it's not a deal breaker. I might get ahold of it at some point.

Scar
10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Dead Space definately looks choice. However, I've got a backlog of video games, but I'll definately get that one some day.

megladon8
10-15-2008, 03:06 AM
And...I'm starting to get pretty sick of "Call of Duty 4", because of all the cheaters on there.

I was playing tonight in a Team Deathmatch, and on the other team was a guy with a modified controller. He has two new buttons - one that instantly gives him pick-ups from up to 10 feet away, and one that gets him headshots no matter where he's aiming on someone. I watched my "Kill Cam" once, and he was aiming at my foot, and got a headshot.

Playing against people like this - who then go on to brag about how amazing they are at the game - really takes all the fun out of it.

Ezee E
10-15-2008, 03:14 AM
And...I'm starting to get pretty sick of "Call of Duty 4", because of all the cheaters on there.

I was playing tonight in a Team Deathmatch, and on the other team was a guy with a modified controller. He has two new buttons - one that instantly gives him pick-ups from up to 10 feet away, and one that gets him headshots no matter where he's aiming on someone. I watched my "Kill Cam" once, and he was aiming at my foot, and got a headshot.

Playing against people like this - who then go on to brag about how amazing they are at the game - really takes all the fun out of it.
Damn, I never knew that existed.

EvilShoe
10-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Also, if you start a new game all your stats carry over, so you won't have to start from zero.
Yeah, but unfortunately I'd have to do all the cases again.
I'd rather have done some other missions the second time around.

Morris Schæffer
10-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Valve's Doug Lombardi seems to have hinted that HL: Episode III could well be another 15 months away. Bummer!

Is anyone else anticipating this one as severely as me?

Scar
10-15-2008, 11:24 AM

Eventually. I've get Metal Gear Solid 4 waiting patiently for me at home.

megladon8
10-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Eventually. I've get Metal Gear Solid 4 waiting patiently for me at home.

Awesome! I have a friend who just got that one last week, and I haven't heard from him since. :lol:

Skitch
10-15-2008, 11:47 AM

This is why I don't have online play. I just get mad. At least with lan play when someone is a dick you can walk across the room and punch them.

monolith94
10-15-2008, 06:00 PM

This is why people need to play on LANS.

Dukefrukem
10-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Dead Space is great! everyone pick it up for whatever platform you choose!

megladon8
10-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Dead Space is great! everyone pick it up for whatever platform you choose!

I pre-ordered it on Amazon.ca three weeks ago, then I got an e-mail yesterday that says "sorry, the game is on back-order, and you will not be receiving it for 3-6 months".

So yeah, I'll get it as soon as I can. :sad:

Skitch
10-15-2008, 11:44 PM
This is why people need to play on LANS.

Wurd.

Dukefrukem
10-16-2008, 01:18 AM
I pre-ordered it on Amazon.ca three weeks ago, then I got an e-mail yesterday that says "sorry, the game is on back-order, and you will not be receiving it for 3-6 months".

So yeah, I'll get it as soon as I can. :sad:

ouch!!!

It's very Resident Evil like... A lot of the monsters are kinda rip offs of the monsters in RE 4 and RE 2. But there's some great stuff going on in this game. Weapon upgrades, the gameplay, no HUD, and some awesome zero-G jumping!

Saya
10-16-2008, 10:57 AM
There is a Bioshock 2 teaser on the PS3 version of Bioshock that just came out. Here are some pics of it:

http://i33.tinypic.com/wcbgq8.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/2jf5ls.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/2vv25c9.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/f35rav.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/246qoi8.jpg

Skitch
10-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Drooooooooooool. I L O V E D Bioshock.

bac0n
10-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm so down with the Bioshock. I freakin' loved that game.

Saya
10-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Hmm, the sequel is called BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams and here's here's a shaky cam version of the teaser trailer. (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/your-first-glimpse-of-bioshock-2-sea-of-dreams/380/)

Stay Puft
10-16-2008, 07:23 PM
This is supposed to be a prequel, isn't it? I remember reading that somewhere.

Yxklyx
10-17-2008, 03:15 AM
I've been playing the old XCOM games from the mid 90s. Still excellent after all these years. Only $2.45 from Steam.

megladon8
10-17-2008, 03:28 AM
I've been playing the old XCOM games from the mid 90s. Still excellent after all these years. Only $2.45 from Steam.

Those always looked great!

Maybe I'll test out Steam with the first one...

Milky Joe
10-17-2008, 05:46 AM
The MOTHER 3 fan translation is coming out at the end of this week, and I celebrated by finally buying a flashcart so I can play it on my DS. It will be glorious.

Saya
10-17-2008, 11:51 AM
This is supposed to be a prequel, isn't it? I remember reading that somewhere.

Yeah, I think I read something like that too.

Someone mentioned that the sequel could have Rapture somehow rise up out of the water, as suggested by the buildings rising up from the sand in the trailer. I thought that was an interesting idea as well.

I think we'll get more info about this game soon.

Saya
10-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Those who were anticipating Little Big Planet have to wait a little while longer. Little Big Planet is delayed by Sony because of some lyrics in a song that is featured in the game. It's a worldwide delay...

SCEE has just confirmed to VG247 that shipped LittleBigPlanet units are to be recalled on a global level thanks to a licensed track in the game containing two “expressions” from the Qur’an.

SCEE has made a just made a statement on the issue, saying the game will be delayed as a result of the issue, but hasn’t confirmed a new release date as yet:

During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur’an.

We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused.

It was thought this afternoon that shipped units of the game were to be pulled back in Europe, but the move will be made “worldwide,” Sony’s just told us.

When asked how many units are to be recalled, a SCEE rep said, “We haven’t been given any figures.”.

Apparently the Arabic words that were in the song are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

Lasse
10-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Those who were anticipating Little Big Planet have to wait a little while longer. Little Big Planet is delayed by Sony because of some lyrics in a song that is featured in the game. It's a worldwide delay...

Yeah, that's a pain in the ass for the ones of us that work in game stores. :evil:

number8
10-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't understand what the problem is.

SirNewt
10-17-2008, 07:34 PM

Apparently the Arabic words that were in the song are:

Oh those rebellious game designers. They're precious.

KK2.0
10-17-2008, 07:42 PM
just got Wipeout HD and Burnout Paradise at PSN. As a foreign gamer, it`s a blessing not to pay those heavy import taxes. Maybe downloadable game purchases are finally here.

anyone playing them online? add my PSN ID - amjr72

Awesome! I have a friend who just got that one last week, and I haven't heard from him since. :lol:

ahahahaha please remeber to feed him once in a while. :lol: I`m not into the MGS series that much, and the game still blew my mind, the hype was pretty much deserved this time around. For the first time i didn't bother watching long cut scenes, the production values on some of them are pretty impressive, i wonder how much was spent on the game.

Ezee E
10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
So The Force Unleashed kinda sucks, but that first level is replayable over and over again as you are Darth Vader and can throw Wookies over cliffs.

Dukefrukem
10-17-2008, 08:04 PM
just got Wipeout HD and Burnout Paradise at PSN. As a foreign gamer, it`s a blessing not to pay those heavy import taxes. Maybe downloadable game purchases are finally here.

anyone playing them online? add my PSN ID - amjr72

I am. PSN Dukefrukem

SirNewt
10-17-2008, 10:38 PM
New Brothers in Arms is leaving something to be desired: I'm not sure what. The XBOX games were much better for some reason.

SirNewt
10-17-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm so down with the Bioshock. I freakin' loved that game.

meh

Oh yeah! I'd pay good money for a remake of these. Hell not even a remake, just something with high res art and a cleaner interface and I'd be sold, doubly sold.

Morris Schæffer
10-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Every once in a while I start pondering the "why" of not having completed Bioshock. I was sure I was going to love it, and there is much that is awe-inspiring, but my interest started to wane after the 50-60% completion rate. Perhaps I shall try it again.

megladon8
10-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Woo-hoo - I got "Dead Space"!

And much cheaper than I expected! Just $49.99 at a video rental place up the street!

I also got "Rainbow Six Vegas" from $5 on the Amazon Marketplace.

D_Davis
10-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Every once in a while I start pondering the "why" of not having completed Bioshock. I was sure I was going to love it, and there is much that is awe-inspiring, but my interest started to wane after the 50-60% completion rate. Perhaps I shall try it again.

It's too long.

At least for me.

Dukefrukem
10-19-2008, 01:53 PM
It's too long.

At least for me.

It's an average length game. 10-12 hours.

D_Davis
10-19-2008, 02:03 PM
It's an average length game. 10-12 hours.

Still, too long for the game it contained.

Skitch
10-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Only two days till Fable 2...

*pant pant*

monolith94
10-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Pshaw! 10-12 hours isn't a game, that's a demo!

Saya
10-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Only two days till Fable 2...

*pant pant*

Yeah, it's gonna be good. The initial reviews and feedback are all very positive.

Don't forget to to do the minigames on this site if you want some extra money and items for in the game.

http://fable2.xbox.com/Experience.aspx

SirNewt
10-19-2008, 09:18 PM

Maybe it's because once you realize the Vita chambers make you invincible the game ceases to be scary or challenging.

Pshaw! 10-12 hours isn't a game, that's a demo!

Yeah, 12 hours won't even get you past the first boss in a Dragon Quest title. Then again that's probably the reason I haven't beat a Japanese RPG in the last 18 months.

megladon8
10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I can't imagine finding "BioShock" too long.

More shooters should give you a nice, lengthy campaign, and like "BioShock", do it without falling into monotony.

Having recently played "CoD4", I can say that, yes, it's a great experience, but still much too short. And talk about anti-climactic.

number8
10-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Most FPS focus more on online multiplayer nowadays. BioShock put more effort in the campaign.

D_Davis
10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
So in Dead Space, are there any direct references, besides your character's name (Isaac Clarke), to classic SF lit?

Ezee E
10-20-2008, 12:19 AM
So in Dead Space, are there any direct references, besides your character's name (Isaac Clarke), to classic SF lit?
Sure sounds like a ripoff of Alien.

megladon8
10-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Sure sounds like a ripoff of Alien.

I don't think so, at all. In fact I don't know where you get that from other than it being a horror in space.

To answer your question, D, yes, though a lot of the references are visual. A few nods to The Thing, Event Horizon, that kind of stuff.

megladon8
10-20-2008, 01:51 AM
What is one of the main reasons why I am excited to play "Spider-Man: Web of Shadows"?

The symbiote Wolverine...

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3294/77753789cp9.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8766/15858764zt5.jpg

megladon8
10-20-2008, 02:41 AM
I'm interested in "Far Cry 2", but while some of their realism stuff sounds really cool (things catching fire and flames spreading realistically, fluid animations for every single action in the game), other stuff sounds like it could potentially be very annoying.

Having guns break down and jam, or having vehicles randomly overheat...eh, this could get really annoying.

D_Davis
10-20-2008, 03:24 AM
Having guns break down and jam, or having vehicles randomly overheat...eh, this could get really annoying.

Yeah - this kind of realism is lame.

What's fun about that? It's like a robot that transforms into a building.

They should make it so if the gun breaks down you can eat the gun and then shoot metal flechettes out of your finger tips. Now that would be awesome.

megladon8
10-20-2008, 07:53 AM
So "Dead Space" is pretty neat. Very creepy. The jump scares are telegraphed a little too much, but the overall mood is great.

Graphics are fantastic, as are animations for the characters.

Weapons are interesting. Since you're an engineer, you have to use your tools as weapons, such as the main weapon, a device that uses plasma blasts to chip away at minerals. It's the game's version of a handgun.

I'm totally getting a "Scar vibe" from it - I know how much you liked "RE4", and you're a huge fan of The Thing...well, put those two together, set it in space, and you've got this game.

I also downloaded the two extra suits available on LiVE, and they're neat, though I actually like the regular suit better. Only problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to go back to the regular suit...once I put one of the extra suits on, it seemed I could only switch between the two, not go back to the default one.

Saya
10-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Picked up Kameo and Tomb Raider Legends for a few bucks and pre-ordered Fable II, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead and Dead Space today. I'm all set now for this year. :)