PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Milky Joe
11-24-2019, 07:44 PM
This sounds like a terrible game.

It's not, not even close.

Dukefrukem
11-25-2019, 09:28 PM
The more I play Death Stranding, the more I feel like the game was designed so Kojima could see what he could get away with in a game.

There's a lot to be annoyed with...

Like the self-congratulations after delivering a tiny package is comical; there's like 37 different lines of measure you see every single time, that you eventually just skip through it all. From the dialog of the guy accepting the package to whatever you are being graded on; Quality of the package, time it took you to deliver, which THEN translate to your rewards and ranking system- which feels never ending. Normal ranking systems have what? 1-30, 1-60? With Recruit, Captain, Colonel, General etc etc? Not a Kojima game. It's ranking system goes from 1- 179+... from all kinds of different names like Veteran Porter, Expert Hiker, etc etc. I can't remember most of them because you can breeze through them with one large delivery.

If that wasn't complicated enough, lets make every city have a similar name so you can never remember which is which or where you are or where you need to go without looking at the Arial map, which btw is completely useless. You can't tell the different between a huge canyon or a giant mountain so good luck traversing until you come across an obstacle you wish you were aware of before you started on your journey. The names of places are: Capital Knot City, Mountain Knot City, Waystation Knot, Edge Knot City... wtf is this shit?

But hey... I'm still playing it I guess.

megladon8
11-25-2019, 09:50 PM
I reiterate my previous thoughts.

This sounds like a terrible game.

Irish
11-25-2019, 10:03 PM
Duke, what about the online, social aspect? Players building bridges or structures others can use, etc? Have you come across that yet?

Including multiplayer elements in a single player game sounded like an interesting design choice.

Dukefrukem
11-25-2019, 10:36 PM
Duke, what about the online, social aspect? Players building bridges or structures others can use, etc? Have you come across that yet?

Including multiplayer elements in a single player game sounded like an interesting design choice.

Yes, I dont really understand it fully. I just "like" everything I see and "donate" to every structure that is partially built. There's no real strategy that I can see. It takes so much effort to carry the materials needed to complete any given partially built structure that the end result of going out of your way to do so is redundant. Because the things you need to build are, 'brides across water that you can just cross slower' or 'freshly paved highways that just make a road on top of grass or gravel'... There's other stuff too, but it's essentially just using the things that are available from past players, like ropes, ladders and mailboxes.

Milky Joe
11-26-2019, 01:14 AM
It was about 13 hours before the game really clicked for me. Once you get to episode 3 the game opens up, you unlock better equipment and can hold more cargo. You can build vehicles and roads, unlock weapons, etc. It's beautiful dense weird fun, unlike any other videogame ever made.

In terms of online stuff, it's Kojima's version of a Souls game.

Idioteque Stalker
11-26-2019, 12:17 PM
BTW: Looking at your PSN handle, I had no idea you were such a huge gamer. Why don't you post more about stuff here?

I post about most games that really get me, but those seem to be more and more rare as times goes on. Years ago I would post my top games of the year, but these days I tend to pick a game and stick with it for a long time. So as far as 2019 releases go, I'm pretty out of it. Kinda seems like a weak year anyway. But if anyone wants to talk about Slay the Spire, Kingdom, or The Long Dark--I'm your man.

Aside from Death Stranding, other 2019 games I'll likely eventually play are Days Gone, Ape Out, and Untitled Goose Game. Those seem cool. Mayyybe Jedi: Fallen Order.

Scar
11-26-2019, 06:45 PM
I've got Dad of War and Monster Hunter loaded on the PS4. Suppose I should fire one up today.

Idioteque Stalker
11-27-2019, 03:47 AM
God of War

Scar
11-27-2019, 10:10 AM
God of War

Yeah, fired up Monster Hunter, wasn’t in the mood for it, then fired up God of War. Only played a little bit, but wow, that opening really hit home.

I only played a little bit because I was working on Turkey day prep, and wanted to give the game my full attention, not pausing it every fifteen minutes to check on something.

Dukefrukem
11-27-2019, 11:33 AM
As an avid God of War fan who's played every game in the series including the Vita games... I'm perplexed why I didn't buy God of War when it came out. Especially after all the praise calling it the best in the franchise.

bac0n
11-27-2019, 01:54 PM
Duke - you will definitely have a new perspective on it, now that you're a dad yourself. (assuming you haven't already played it)

Morris Schæffer
11-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Make sure you find all the valkyries and don't shy away from fighting them to the end. So insanely gratifying, tough as shit, but wow the elation. Especially the queen valkyrie.

Dukefrukem
11-27-2019, 07:28 PM
So when you hear this song in the game, it's pure bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnRUDMjw3y0

Irish
11-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Whelp on impulse I just bought Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and X-Com 2.

(And also 15lbs of rice but that has nothing to do with videogames.)

megladon8
11-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Wow.

Sekiro and rice?

Nice thinly veiled racism there, Irish.

How about next time you buy Mafia 3 and some canoles. Or Call of Duty and some freedom.

Idioteque Stalker
11-29-2019, 07:32 PM
Two seriously top-notch games. As long as you’re a glutton for punishment.

Ezee E
11-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Two seriously top-notch games. As long as you’re a glutton for punishment.

Dude's about to eat 15 lbs of rice. He won't need to leave the house for quite some time.

Irish
12-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Whelp on impulse I just bought Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and X-Com 2.

(And also 15lbs of rice but that has nothing to do with videogames.)

I ordered from Amazon & chose free shipping (not Prime) & didn't expect to receive this for a full calendar week. Nope! Got the package yesterday. Fuckin Amazon. Sometimes it's hard to hate them.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 02:56 PM
I ordered from Amazon & chose free shipping (not Prime) & didn't expect to receive this for a full calendar week. Nope! Got the package yesterday. Fuckin Amazon. Sometimes it's hard to hate them.

:D

The amount of shit I get next day (not 2 day...) is incredible. You don't what to know how many things I've ordered from them in 2019.

Scar
12-03-2019, 02:59 PM

So you’re going to start on Legendary Difficulty, Ironman and all DLC enabled on XCOM2 first time out, right?

:cool:

Irish
12-03-2019, 03:03 PM
So you’re going to start on Legendary Difficulty, Ironman and all DLC enabled on XCOM2 first time out, right?

:cool:

Of course. I'm also playing naked with a KA-BAR clenched in my mouth, as one does.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 03:25 PM
As anyone could probably predict, this is in teh works. And after my praise with RE2, I will absolutely be picking this up.

https://i1.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/resident-evil-3-remake.png?w=512&ssl=1

Ezee E
12-03-2019, 03:50 PM
I don't remember the story in RE3... Maybe I'll play that one.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 04:07 PM
I don't remember the story in RE3... Maybe I'll play that one.

It's between the events of RE1 and RE2 from Jill's perspective. It's basically an excuse to set a story inside Raccoon City (before they nuke it at the end of RE2).

I remember being so mad at that ending in RE2 because the setting was so awesome. I loved being in the streets of Raccoon City instead of confined to a mansion like in RE1. I wanted more street stuff.

Ezee E
12-03-2019, 04:30 PM
It's between the events of RE1 and RE2 from Jill's perspective. It's basically an excuse to set a story inside Raccoon City (before they nuke it at the end of RE2).

I remember being so mad at that ending in RE2 because the setting was so awesome. I loved being in the streets of Raccoon City instead of confined to a mansion like in RE1. I wanted more street stuff.

RE3 is between the events of RE1 & 2 you mean?

So like a Resident Evil 1.5?

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 04:38 PM
RE3 is between the events of RE1 & 2 you mean?

So like a Resident Evil 1.5?

Yeh, it takes place immediately after Jill leaves the mansion. (even though she flies away in a helicopter after RE1)

Irish
12-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Makes me wanna ask: What's the best game everyone has played this year?

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 07:00 PM

I've only played 8 games. (3 from 2019)

Division (One of the best games I've ever played)
Division 2 (Good followup but needs a lot of work to tweak balance of gear- Ubisoft continues to update)
Battlefield V - Bad; only played it with friends to fill the gap between Division and Division 2
Ghost Recon Wildlands (One of the best games I've ever played)
Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Missed the mark on some key features that were in Wildlands- Ubisoft is planning to address in future updates- Great story with Jon Bernthal as one of the characters)
Resident Evil 2 REmake (The scariest game I've ever played)
Inside (Excellent)
Death Stranding (mixed)

Idioteque Stalker
12-03-2019, 07:31 PM

2019 official release: Slay the Spire (though I played early access for a while)
Otherwise: The Long Dark

Really haven't played many games this year. Just bought Days Gone and Outer Wilds (not worlds). Excited to play Outer Wilds, and I'll continue to give Death Stranding more time.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 07:35 PM
I think we need more people to play Death Stranding here...

IS, what chapter are you on?

Idioteque Stalker
12-03-2019, 07:37 PM

Seriously though. Once you feel relatively comfortable with the game, Ironman is the only way to play. Also, make sure to name and customize all non-rookie soldiers after your favorite film directors, musicians, pro athletes, etc.

Ah, best game.

Idioteque Stalker
12-03-2019, 07:39 PM
I think we need more people to play Death Stranding here...

IS, what chapter are you on?

I haven't played since last we talked lol. Thanksgiving is a time suck for me, and tbh I'm not feeling super compelled to play. But I will battle on for a while longer.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 07:43 PM
I haven't played since last we talked lol. Thanksgiving is a time suck for me, and tbh I'm not feeling super compelled to play. But I will battle on for a while longer.

I hear ya. It gets kind fun when you unlock zip lines. But getting there.. oof.

Irish
12-03-2019, 07:52 PM
XBox has RE:2 on sale for $20.

Looked it up on Metacritic and it has stellar reviews. Never played the original.

Worth it, then?

ETA: Also I'm gonna take a look at The Division now too

Idioteque Stalker
12-03-2019, 08:12 PM
These are my favorite games of the decade. I've played games my whole life, but only "seriously" for the past 10 years or so. So these are also pretty much my favorite games "ever." But I'd probably give props to my childhood by including Rollercoaster Tycoon and a Final Fantasy game on a real list like that.

1. Dark Souls/Bloodborne
2. The Last of Us
3. Inside
4. XCOM 2
5. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6. Europa Universalis 4
7. Mass Effect Trilogy
8. The Long Dark
9. God of War
10. The Witcher 3

11. Red Dead Redemption
12. Slay the Spire
13. Super Mario Galaxy 2
14. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
15. Mad Max
16. Kingdom: New Lands/Two Crowns
17. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
18. This War of Mine
19. Until Dawn
20. Persona 4 Golden

Ezee E
12-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Hmm...

Red Dead Redemption 2 (one of best stories of all time for videogames. too bad the online mode sucks)
Madden 20 (Franchise mode is cut & paste. the new 'x-factors' are kind of cool, I guess... I do an online franchise with my brother and this is how we stay caught up with each other)
MLB The Show 20 (also just the same as before... can't see myself getting next year)

Umm... I think that may be it? RDR2 was a big deal for the first half of the year or so.

I do anticipate playing Death Stranding and maybe the Jedi Order game.

Ezee E
12-03-2019, 08:24 PM
18. This War of Mine

I bring this out every few months or so for a playthrough. I do wonder if there's a positive way to end this game...

Idioteque Stalker
12-03-2019, 08:37 PM
I bring this out every few months or so for a playthrough. I do wonder if there's a positive way to end this game...

Heh, you said "positive." Any time I've had characters survive to the end of the war, they were either severely injured, depressed/suicidal, or healthy but only at the cost of doing horrible shit to other survivors.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 09:17 PM

Looked it up on Metacritic and it has stellar reviews. Never played the original.

Worth it, then?

$20 is an excellent price point. You don't need to play the original. There's some nice nostalgic stuff and some misdirection events from fans of the original, but it's pretty much the most straight forward game of the year.

I would caution you with the Division; You can play it solo but some of the end game stuff heavily relies on co-op (and for the legendary missions, 4 player co-op). I also don't know how populated the servers are now since the Division 2 is out.

If you're the kind of guy who doesn't care about end game stuff, then the game might just seem like a generic shooter to you. But co-op makes it excellent. I love the environment, (basically the end of the world as if it happened during Black Friday in NYC), the way you come across things during your play that tell a story (audio files or the way bodies are propped up in a room) and the stellar gameplay.

It also has the best new multiplayer mode for this gametype called "Survival". I can get into it more if you're interested but it was my favorite thing to play in the game.

Its a Tom Clancy game, so the attention to detail is unworldly.

Idioteque Stalker
12-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Here are some games that I feel could have been among my faves of the decade had I played/finished them, or had they come out at a time I was more ready to vibe with them. Not really honorable mentions.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Outer Wilds
Disco Elysium
Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
Kentucky Route Zero
Nier: Automata
No Man's Sky

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 09:24 PM
These are my favorite games of the decade. I've played games my whole life, but only "seriously" for the past 10 years or so. So these are also pretty much my favorite games "ever." But I'd probably give props to my childhood by including Rollercoaster Tycoon and a Final Fantasy game on a real list like that.

1. Dark Souls/Bloodborne
2. The Last of Us
3. Inside
4. XCOM 2
5. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6. Europa Universalis 4
7. Mass Effect Trilogy
8. The Long Dark
9. God of War
10. The Witcher 3

11. Red Dead Redemption
12. Slay the Spire
13. Super Mario Galaxy 2
14. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
15. Mad Max
16. Kingdom: New Lands/Two Crowns
17. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
18. This War of Mine
19. Until Dawn
20. Persona 4 Golden

Oh man. We are making decade lists now? OK, TBD.

In the meantime, I just joined a Letterboxd Rip off for games and made my Top 20 Games of All Time list (https://www.backloggd.com/u/Dukefrukem/list/top-20-best-games-ever/).

So chew on that while I make a best of the decade list.

Ezee E
12-03-2019, 09:44 PM
Heh, you said "positive." Any time I've had characters survive to the end of the war, they were either severely injured, depressed/suicidal, or healthy but only at the cost of doing horrible shit to other survivors.

I can't really recall if I've even made it to the end of the war. Most disappear out of depression or die of sickness/injury.

I have the board game, but nobody to play it with :(

Irish
12-03-2019, 09:46 PM
I would caution you with the Division; You can play it solo but some of the end game stuff heavily relies on co-op (and for the legendary missions, 4 player co-op). I also don't know how populated the servers are now since the Division 2 is out.

Appreciate the heads up! I almost grabbed it because it's $10 on Amazon now.

I just joined a Letterboxd Rip off for games and made my Top 20 Games of All Time list (https://www.backloggd.com/u/Dukefrukem/list/top-20-best-games-ever/).

HL2 as #1 is entirely correct and also TWISTED METAL 2 FUCK YEAH

Irish
12-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Outer Wilds
Disco Elysium
Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
Kentucky Route Zero
Nier: Automata
No Man's Sky

Dug your all-time list but gotta say like half of these are either on my backlog (Outer Wilds, Hellblade) or my wishlist (KR0, Disco, Nier)

Scar
12-03-2019, 09:56 PM

Worth it, then?

Buy. It.

RDR2
XCOM2
RE2

I think the above three are where the majority of my video game time went.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Appreciate the heads up! I almost grabbed it because it's $10 on Amazon now.

I would play through it again with you if you wanted to get the full experience? (On Steam/PC of course) Or would you get it on PS4?

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 10:10 PM
OKay, here's my best of the decade list (https://www.backloggd.com/u/Dukefrukem/list/best-of-the-decade-2011-2020/). Preliminary and I need to shave 2 off to make it a top 20.

Comments welcome.

Irish
12-03-2019, 10:25 PM
I would play through it again with you if you wanted to get the full experience? (On Steam/PC of course) Or would you get it on PS4?

Damn dude that's a helluva nice offer. I'd love to do that but unfortunately I'm on XBox (and Switch). They still don't do crossplay, do they?

This reminds me: As much as I've enjoyed these consoles over the last 6 mos or a year ... I am in my heart of hearts a PC / desktop guy. I should looking into that (again) ...

Buy. It.

RDR2
XCOM2
RE2

I think the above three are where the majority of my video game time went.

Ha, okay then. Buying it.

(Also I want RDR2 but waiting until it drops below $30)

Irish
12-03-2019, 10:27 PM
OKay, here's my best of the decade list (https://www.backloggd.com/u/Dukefrukem/list/best-of-the-decade-2011-2020/). Preliminary and I need to shave 2 off to make it a top 20.

Comments welcome.

You have a healthy number of shooters on there so I was surprised to see Bastion and City Skylines!

Dukefrukem
12-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Damn dude that's a helluva nice offer. I'd love to do that but unfortunately I'm on XBox (and Switch). They still don't do crossplay, do they?

This reminds me: As much as I've enjoyed these consoles over the last 6 mos or a year ... I am in my heart of hearts a PC / desktop guy. I should looking into that (again) ...

I know there isn't crossplay on Division 2, so I'm willing to bet there isn't support for the first game.

Scar
12-04-2019, 12:57 AM

Ha, okay then. Buying it.

(Also I want RDR2 but waiting until it drops below $30)

I misread your post, thought RDR2 was 20. RE2 is definitely worth the 20. It’s a blast.

Idioteque Stalker
12-04-2019, 01:22 AM
I have the board game, but nobody to play it with :(

I played it solo. Very cool implementation.

Irish
12-04-2019, 02:24 AM
I am here to report that the tutorial stages of Sekiro are fucking amaaaaaaaaazing. Super fluid controls & the combat is way more fun than I expected.

I watched a few Lets Plays earlier in the year but they didn't do it justice. You swing around and stealth and backstab dudes or whatever like Batman with a freakin katana. It just feels great.

ETA: This is my first real attempt at a souls-like game. (I'm not counting Hollow Knight.)

megladon8
12-04-2019, 03:19 PM
I am here to report that the tutorial stages of Sekiro are fucking amaaaaaaaaazing. Super fluid controls & the combat is way more fun than I expected.

I watched a few Lets Plays earlier in the year but they didn't do it justice. You swing around and stealth and backstab dudes or whatever like Batman with a freakin katana. It just feels great.

ETA: This is my first real attempt at a souls-like game. (I'm not counting Hollow Knight.)

Good luck with some of the later bosses.

I have beaten every Souls game multiple times. I gave up on Sekiro a little over halfway through.

Ezee E
12-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Turns out I had downloaded X-Com 2 when it was free one month. I'm going to break that out.

Irish
12-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Ha! Microsoft announced today that The Division is coming to GamePass on December 12. :D

This probably means there will be a fresh batch of people playing for the first time & maybe endgame will be doable.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Pretty good time to play I'd say.

Idioteque Stalker
12-04-2019, 05:50 PM
OKay, here's my best of the decade list (https://www.backloggd.com/u/Dukefrukem/list/best-of-the-decade-2011-2020/).

Hotline Miami is such a cool game. It almost made made my list as well.

Games from your list that I love:
Last of Us
Mass Effect 2
Inside
Hotline Miami
Shadow of Mordor
XCOM

I like:
The Division
Uncharted 4
Cities: Skylines

I'm curious about:
Resident Evil 2

Headscratcher:
Trine 2

Idioteque Stalker
12-04-2019, 06:08 PM
While Hollow Knight may indeed be a souls-like, to me there's nothing like the real thing: From Software. Like most of their games, Sekiro is on another level. I'm curious if you'll find it more or less frustrating than people like myself who are well-versed in souls. At first I adapted pretty well, but I didn't expect just how brutally some of the bosses would lean into the game's non-typical-souls mechanics. When I beat Genichiro, though, it wasn't a fuck fuck oh fuck oh fuck type situation, but actually quite calm. Really cool game. It's just so damn hard.

Irish
12-04-2019, 06:38 PM
While Hollow Knight may indeed be a souls-like, to me there's nothing like the real thing: From Software. Like most of their games, Sekiro is on another level. I'm curious if you'll find it more or less frustrating than people like myself who are well-versed in souls. At first I adapted pretty well, but I didn't expect just how brutally some of the bosses would lean into the game's non-typical-souls mechanics. When I beat Genichiro, though, it wasn't a fuck fuck oh fuck oh fuck type situation, but actually quite calm. Really cool game. It's just so damn hard.

I'm dying a lot but I'm not frustrated yet. I'm still getting used to the button layout and the basic mechanics.

The first real mini-boss gave me trouble but then, for some reason, I entered the zone and just Beat The Living Shit out of him in one go. It was extremely satisfying. :D

Wryan
12-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Headscratcher:
Trine 2

Away with you!

Milky Joe
12-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Sekiro
Death Stranding
Baba is You
Apex Legends
RE2

Idioteque Stalker
12-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Away with you!

Nothing against the game, really. I played and enjoyed it well enough. But it doesn't scream game of the decade to me, and it sticks out on Duke's list.

Idioteque Stalker
12-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Baba is You

Nice. I think it would break my brain.

Milky Joe
12-04-2019, 09:39 PM
I would be amazed to find a brain it didn't break. It has broken my brain repeatedly! If you like puzzle games it's a must-play

Dukefrukem
12-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Nothing against the game, really. I played and enjoyed it well enough. But it doesn't scream game of the decade to me, and it sticks out on Duke's list.

Yeh that's one I had a lot of fun with- especially the co-op but it's on the fence with Doom.

Preliminary list. More stuff will come to me.

Irish
12-06-2019, 03:43 PM
2 things I want that will never exist:

- A From Software "Star Wars" game

- 5 minute animated shorts on Adult Swim where different animators with different styles just riff on "The Mandolorian"

megladon8
12-06-2019, 04:10 PM
2 things I want that will never exist:

- A From Software "Star Wars" game

- 5 minute animated shorts on Adult Swim where different animators with different styles just riff on "The Mandolorian"

Jedi: Fallen Order is pretty much that!

Skitch
12-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Need help....a buddy was told he was getting xbox1 as gift. So he bought a few games. Then the xbox came....and it's a disc-less, drive-less version. Any way he can get digital versions for what he already bought?

Irish
12-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Jedi: Fallen Order is pretty much that!

Are you playing?

I've been watching this let's play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3hHylNQ6iU) and it def looks like something for me to pick up down the road ...

megladon8
12-07-2019, 08:00 PM
Are you playing?

I've been watching this let's play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3hHylNQ6iU) and it def looks like something for me to pick up down the road ...

I am, yes.

It’s Dark Souls-lite, with Tomb Raider exploration.

Combat is a carbon copy of From games, or more specifically Sekiro. The only weapon you ever use is your lightsaber, and parrying / blocking is based on strict timing. When you die, you respawn at your last visited “meditation circle”, and have lost all points collected so far to upgrade your skill tree. You can get them back by hitting (not killing, just one successful hit) the enemy who killed you.

Morris Schæffer
12-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis remake has been announced.

https://www.gamersyde.com/news_capcom_unveils_reimagined _resident_evil_3-21334_en.html

Dukefrukem
12-11-2019, 04:20 PM
I've been at a two day tech summit, so i havent had a chance to respond to that news.

Yay!

megladon8
12-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Really getting into Fallen Order now. Some cool set pieces and stuff.

But this game should not have been released in this state. So much of it is buggy and completely broken at times.

It screams “rush to get it out before Christmas!!”

Idioteque Stalker
12-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Another maverick list from Slant. (https://www.slantmagazine.com/features/the-25-best-video-games-of-2019/) I haven't even heard of several of the games in the top 10.

Irish
12-11-2019, 09:49 PM
I'd heard of everything but only because I routinely search Kotaku, Polygon, MetaCritic, and OpenCritic for their rolling best-of lists, mostly in desperate need of the new and different. This is only the second site I've seen recommend Hypnospace Outlaw and Manifold Garden, though.

Also extremely surprised that Control is suddenly getting good press? When that came out a lotta people shrugged at it. Then IGN named it GOTY. Now this. So wtf?

megladon8
12-11-2019, 10:42 PM
I thought so too, Irish (re: Control).

The IGN GOTY had never scratching my head. I mean, their review was certainly very positive, but nowhere near the hyperbole I’d expect from IGN for something they end up giving the award to.

Milky Joe
12-11-2019, 10:55 PM
I heard almost nothing but good things about Control from the people I trust (ie, not IGN). Aside from the technical aspects of its being too graphically intensive for the base PS4—I'm personally going to wait until the PS5 to play it for that reason, but I very much look forward to it.

That list seems pretty good though, cheers to slant's vg staff. Disco Elysium looks fantastic and I will be playing that as soon as it becomes available to me. Baba Is You is a work of genius.

Ezee E
12-11-2019, 11:04 PM
All about that Disco Elysium game when it comes out for PS4

Irish
12-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Reminder: Game Awards stream tonight!

https://www.twitch.tv/thegameawards

Coverage begins at 5:30 PM PT / 8:30 PM ET

lol

Ezee E
12-12-2019, 05:16 PM
Reminder: Game Awards stream tonight!

https://www.twitch.tv/thegameawards

Coverage begins at 5:30 PM PT / 8:30 PM ET

lol

LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES!

Irish
12-13-2019, 12:31 AM
Anyway, holy shit this was a terrible event. All awards shows are promotional but JFC. This one made it seem handing out the actual awards was the filler and the announcements, trailers, and straight up commercials were the main event.

What a huge waste of time. Why did I watch this. I am never doing this again, lol.

Game Awards 2019 starting now!!!!

ETA:

- Holy shit they have a 30 minute "pre-show" lol

- And their first promo is for Marvel Alliance DLC on Switch, a game that received mediocre reviews and reportedly didn't run well on the platform.

- Second promo is for Man Eater, where you play a shark and the goal is to ... eat people.

- Death Stranding wins Best Score

- The hostess is wearing what might be the ugliest outfit I've seen on television. The top half is like a prom dress crossed with bridesmaid nightmare. The bottom half is ... basic black slacks? I can't tell but JFC who told her to wear that.

- Why am I watching this

- Third promo is Humankind, which looks like a fairly typical indie world building 4X strategy type of thing.

- Next: NO MORE HEROES III. Holy shit. Extremely strange promo. Almost nonsensical but that's expected given the franchise. Release in 2020. Switch exclusive. [Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2nPg42xsXg)]

- Another Final Fantasy VII remake trailer. Looks amazing but not significantly different from what was shown at E3.

- Super Smash Bros Ultimate wins Best Fighting Game.

- Ninja is sitting right behind Reggie in the audience lol

- Jonathan Nolan (wtf???) presents Best Narrative to ... Disco Elysium *fuck yeah*

- Phil Spencer announces XBox Series X (I guess this is Project Scarlett??). Holiday 2020. It's shaped like a mini-tower PC lol.

https://i.imgur.com/qrR9szX.jpg?1

- In-engine shots from Hellblade II: Senua's Sacrifice running on XBox Series X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJWI4bkD9ZM

- Call of Duty: Whatever wins Best Audio.

- Fire Emblem Three Houses wins Best Strategy.

- New Warframe expansion called "Empyrean" out on PC now. Looks good but I'd guess anybody already playing Warframe already knows about this and is already downloading it.

- Ikiri Nokamori is back!! I can't understand a word she is saying but she's awfully cute.

- Control wins Best Art Direction.

- JJ Abrams is doing a "Rise of Skywalker" promo inside Fortnite this Saturday. What the fuck.

- OTOH I do love how these people are absolutely shameless in running back to back commercials for multi-million dollar properties while handing out an "award" every 20 minutes or so.

- Freaky trailer for Sons of the Forest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAybpvqkuEs

- Also gotta love extremely lip synced musical performances. gg.

- Devil May Cry 5 wins Best Action Game, presented by our boy Norman Reedus.

- Reveal for co-op Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance. Looks sorta terrible? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mfjdNf0SDY

- Gris wins Games for Impact. I have no idea what that category label means.

- Luigi's Mansion 3 wins Best Family.

- Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled Best Sports/Racing.

- Call of Duty: Mobile wins Best Mobile. JFC.

- Weird West, an upcoming action RPG from the makers of Prey, looks good. Coming "soon": https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097350/Weird_West/

- Ninja is such a huge fucking embarrassment.

- Apex Legends wins Best Multiplayer.

- Gears: Tactics releases April 28, 2020. Turned based X-Com style strategy.

- Ghosts of Tsushima. Fighter? Action RPG? Summer 2020. PS4 exclusive? [Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbq7BnsQhrw)]

- Best Ongoing Game goes to Fortnite. Who cares? (meanwhile Sydnee Goodman is back on stage in her terrible dress)

- League of Legends wins Esport Game of the Year

- Beat Saber wins Best VR/AR

- Best Performance goes to Mads Mikkelson for Death Stranding

- Fire Emblem: Three Houses wins Fan Vote

- Not surprised so many mobile games are getting attention (and ad spots) but still feels gross to see them

- Also holy shit they've run 3x Samsung ads so far with that dork from Linus Tech Tips

- Okay admittedly Greenday doing a couple of songs was pretty cool.

- Reggie presents Best Indie to Disco Elysium. Stiff competition in this category. It was up against Outer Wilds, Slay the Spire, and Untitled Goose Game.

- Goldenboy wearing a gd necktie. Good for him.

- Death Stranding wins Best Direction.

- Michelle Rodriguez introduces promo for Fast & Furious: Crossroads. May 2020.

- HA! Vin Diesel is a surprise guest.

- But holy fuck could they drag this shit out even more? Now the orchestra is back and playing another set of theme songs. JFC. Just announce the goddamn GOTY winner already.

- SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE! wins!!!!

Ezee E
12-13-2019, 12:59 AM
thank you for your service.

Dukefrukem
12-13-2019, 01:01 AM
They have live performances now?

Dukefrukem
12-13-2019, 01:13 AM
Xbox.
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series X? Fire their entire marketing department.

Dukefrukem
12-13-2019, 01:16 AM
Wow. That Hellblade II trailer was incredible.

Like... jarring... disturbing... super effective.

Milky Joe
12-13-2019, 01:21 AM
Awards shows are uniformly terrible. I can't imagine how awkward a game awards show would be.

Irish
12-13-2019, 01:29 AM
They have live performances now?

Somehow they got Green Day, Chvrches, and Grime to show up and convinced Jonathan Nolan and Stephen Curry to present. I have no idea how.

Awards shows are uniformly terrible. I can't imagine how awkward a game awards show would be.

Dude you have NO idea, lol.

I've seen high school plays with better blocking and production values.

Irish
12-13-2019, 01:32 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJWI4bkD9ZM

Agreed!

Milky Joe
12-13-2019, 01:56 AM
Somehow they got Green Day, Chvrches, and Grime to show up and convinced Jonathan Nolan and Stephen Curry to present. I have no idea how.

I'll tell you: $$$$$$$$

Irish
12-13-2019, 03:45 AM
Best trailer was Hellblade II.

Interested in No More Heroes III and Weird West but want to see more.

I liked the show a little more this year but holy shit 3 solid hours of ads & promos tires me the fuck out.

It'd be less gross if they didn't include free mobile game shit & literally sell every inch of advertising space, right down to corporate sponsorships on individual awards.

Irish
12-13-2019, 03:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tUqIHwHDEc

^ Xbox SeX announcement.

MSFT has always sucked at industrial design and the mini-tower here makes me think "oh yeah this is just like an off brand PC but more limited." I think that might hurt them in some weird way.

megladon8
12-13-2019, 09:35 AM
I want its name officially changed to Xbox SeX.

Morris Schæffer
12-13-2019, 10:53 AM
I like the design. I was hoping for a metroid prime trilogy announcement for the Switch.

Morris Schæffer
12-13-2019, 10:54 AM

Stunning yes, but we've had some stunners this generation also. More persuasive stuff will probably be shown in the months ahead.

Skitch
12-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Not only have they outdone themselves with an even dumber name than before (who thought it was possible?), they designed it in a way that it is awkward for every existing tv stand. Unless you can lay that brick on its side, I guess.

Dukefrukem
12-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Not only have they outdone themselves with an even dumber name than before (who thought it was possible?), they designed it in a way that it is awkward for every existing tv stand. Unless you can lay that brick on its side, I guess.

Seriously. If you thought the Xbone was ugly.... I swear they just name these thing the first thing that comes to mind.

Irish
12-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Polygon names Outer Wilds GOTY

https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/13/21011871/outer-wilds-goty-best-games-of-the-year

Idioteque Stalker
12-13-2019, 08:05 PM
I didn’t watch the video game awards, and I have no doubt they were a bloated mess. Gotta say, however, the winners were really strong. Disco Elysium and Sekiro have the biggest nights? Hell yeah.

Morris Schæffer
12-13-2019, 08:06 PM

You can.

Wryan
12-13-2019, 09:01 PM
lolol that go-pro trailer for the DnD game was something else, lad.

The Maneater trailer looked hilarious.

Also, and I know this is supremely trivial, but can I just say how frustrating it is that all the big-titted female videogame characters get untold hundreds of hours of weird blender porn, but there's next to nothing for my boy Leon from RE or Peter Parker from the recent Spider-man or Dante from DMC? And soon enough there probably will be nothing for my other boy Cloud. Where's the equality? This is bullshit.

megladon8
12-13-2019, 09:30 PM
I wish Maneater was coming to consoles.

Irish
12-13-2019, 09:30 PM
you can always pay one of those furry people to do a commission, wry

Wryan
12-13-2019, 09:47 PM
Those hacks?

Dukefrukem
12-13-2019, 10:02 PM
All that award show does is make me sad I dont have that kind of time anymore. Those games look excellent. I might pick up Disco Elysium if Steam has a Christmas sale. Also Control isn't on steam yet, otherwise I'd already have bought it.

Irish
12-13-2019, 10:13 PM
That's one thing I like about the Switch and Nintendo first party titles: Pick up and play whenever you have time, go for 20 minutes or an hour and don't get back to it for a week then no worries,

I enjoy the XBox and GamePass but shit like Sekiro and Divinity Original Sin 2 are big time sinks and take research & or practice to play.

Ezee E
12-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Looks like Cyberpunk 2077 has an April release date.

megladon8
12-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Jedi: Fallen Order has a better SW story than the last 7 SW movies.

Skitch
12-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Looks like Cyberpunk 2077 has an April release date.

It should come out May 21st 2021, if we're really doing this lol

Dukefrukem
12-14-2019, 02:16 PM
don't get back to it for a week then no worries,

There's a lot of games where this is not feasible or easy to do.

Death Stranding is a perfect example.

Irish
12-14-2019, 04:07 PM
There's a lot of games where this is not feasible or easy to do.

Death Stranding is a perfect example.

Oh absolutely. I guess my priorities have changed tho. I used to really love huge RPGs with big storylines and lotsa playtime. Nowadays I find them exhausting.

I've dug everything I've played over the last year but more and more I'm drawn to shit that's simple. I think if I had to do it over again, I'd just stick with Nintendo first party titles and no bullshit shooters. Very simple stories, 20-30 hour games, insanely good mechanics.

Last night I played Super Mario World and then Doom for about an hour each and that was perfect.

Dukefrukem
12-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Oh absolutely. I guess my priorities have changed tho. I used to really love huge RPGs with big storylines and lotsa playtime. Nowadays I find them exhausting.

This perfectly defines my gaming carrer. I think I played through Final Fantasy VII 2 or 3 times. Sank 100 hours into one of them just so I could beat Ruby Weapon.

Not anymore.

These days I'll be lucky if I can play through a telltale game.

Irish
12-14-2019, 04:52 PM
OTOH I'm downloading The Division via GamePass right now lol

Skitch
12-14-2019, 04:54 PM
This perfectly defines my gaming carrer. I think I played through Final Fantasy VII 2 or 3 times. Sank 100 hours into one of them just so I could beat Ruby Weapon.

Not anymore.

These days I'll be lucky if I can play through a telltale game.

Welcome to phone gaming, parent.

Dukefrukem
12-14-2019, 05:14 PM
OTOH I'm downloading The Division via GamePass right now lol

https://media1.tenor.com/images/912ac802d03ccda8fe32db29bca503 67/tenor.gif?itemid=4476371

Irish
12-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Welcome to phone gaming, parent.

Maaaaan I remember playing Civ Revolutions and Bastion in 2009? 10? and thinking that was the future. Play anywhere. Low prices, great design, simple mechanics.

And then the entire ecosystem became a never-ending deluge of absolute crap.

Ivan Drago
12-15-2019, 04:22 AM
I'm too old for video games, said the 31-year-old wrestling fan.

Irish
12-16-2019, 11:52 PM
Upon closer inspection, it appears that "Xbox" is the make and "Series X" is the model --- as if the name going forward for Xbox consoles is simply "Xbox."

It turns out there's a good reason for that.

"The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider, "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X."

Like the first Xbox generation, the next one is simply named "Xbox."

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-only-using-xbox-name-going-forward-2019-12

Confirms my suspicion that they wanted to mimic a luxury/car branding style ("BMW Series 3") but of course, being Microsoft, fucked up the message.

Skitch
12-16-2019, 11:56 PM
So now everyone gets to be confused about what Xbox everyone has. Brilliant.

Irish
12-17-2019, 12:04 AM
I think they'll try iterative updates every 2-3 years. Like the Pro and One X but with more machines.

Console makers must have spent the last generation looking at the phone market and drooling.

Dukefrukem
12-17-2019, 02:12 AM
Boy is Microsoft going to be in for a surprise when Sony releases the console-less platform.

Irish
12-17-2019, 03:43 AM
Sony might be able to do a streaming service in Japan and Korea but no way will they be able to do it in the United States or Europe. The infrastructure support isn't there.

Besides, these dudes are seriously wedded to their hardware. Lock-in defines these platforms.

Dukefrukem
12-17-2019, 12:55 PM
My post was a bit tongue and cheek. It seems Microsoft is always a step behind Sony. Here they are proclaiming their new Xbox line brand... And Watch Sony do the exact opposite.... Then Microsoft struggles to realign.

I will say, it's fresh to see Microsoft release their games on Windows now. At least they smartened up a bit.

Dukefrukem
12-17-2019, 05:15 PM
I'm re-playing Star Wars Jedi Knight; Dark Forces II and it's glorious.

https://www.twitch.tv/dukefrukem

Irish
12-20-2019, 06:17 PM
If you've never played ANY Mario games outside Odyssey? I would say go for the classics: Super Mario World and SMB3. If you have a Nintendo Online sub (only $20 for a year), you can play both for free via the NES and SNES online channels. They're two of the best videogames ever made.

But between those two you mentioned, I'd go with Maker. There's an infinite amount of content there in a variety of styles/physics. I'm not the hugest fan of the New Super Mario physics, but NNSMBU Deluxe is definitely the best of that series. So it's good but not the best.

Gotta give you big thanks, Joe, as this is one of the best recs I've received.

Super Mario World is incredible game and still looks and sounds great after 30 years. It might be my new favorite of the era. Definitely worth the $20 online subscription.

What do you think of the Yoshi and Kirby games? Are those worth checking out?

Dukefrukem
12-20-2019, 07:28 PM
So you're saying I should take Joe off my ignore list?

Skitch
12-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Mario World is THE best Mario game, and one of the greatest games of all time.

Ezee E
12-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Anyone remember Earthworm Jim?

That's not to be a part of the best video game talk, the name literally just came to my mind for some reason.

Skitch
12-20-2019, 08:32 PM
Of course.

Irish
12-21-2019, 04:12 AM
Super Mario World is THE best Mario game, and one of the greatest games of all time.

Obviously not fair to compare them but Odyssey runs a very close second.

But I think World has more replay value, maybe? Not sure yet. Still feeling my around the who Mario-verse.

Milky Joe
12-21-2019, 05:21 AM
Gotta give you big thanks, Joe, as this is one of the best recs I've received.

Super Mario World is incredible game and still looks and sounds great after 30 years. It might be my new favorite of the era. Definitely worth the $20 online subscription.

What do you think of the Yoshi and Kirby games? Are those worth checking out?

Glad to hear! Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2) is amazing, full of dense psychedelia. It's one of the best platformers ever - plays a little differently than mainline Mario though. Not familiar with any other Yoshi games.

Kirby is fun and light but not amazing. Most of my experience with Kirby games was on the old Game Boy actually. Kirby also has a bunch of different genre games like Kirby Dream Course which is like a miniature golf game almost, and very fun.

Definitely play SMB3 though! It's the best.

Skitch
12-21-2019, 11:18 AM
But I think World has more replay value, maybe? Not sure yet. Still feeling my around the who Mario-verse.

Having played it when it came out, and in the last couple years with my kids, can confirm replay is awesome. That cape is so damn much fun.

I havent played Odyssey.

megladon8
12-21-2019, 12:18 PM
I really enjoyed the Paper Mario games, too.

Wish they’d make a new one.

Dukefrukem
12-21-2019, 01:08 PM
I got my tabs crossed up and I meant to post this in here and not the Last Jedi thread..., Was in a story warsy feel so I replayed Jedi Knight this week. Was an awesome 90s throwback. I miss 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Kxs84qgos

Ezee E
12-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Paper Mario was def great.

megladon8
12-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Which Star Wars game was it that was an on-rails shooter? Where you’re in a ship?

Skitch
12-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Wasn't that for the wii?

megladon8
12-31-2019, 12:37 AM
Screw it, I bought a Switch.

Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe.

Irish
12-31-2019, 02:01 AM
Woohoo! Enjoy the platform!

Breath of the Wild is fucking amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing

Ezee E
12-31-2019, 05:17 AM
Got started on Jedi: Fallen Order... The controls are a bit wonky so far which is always a dealbreaker for me. We'll see how this goes.

Dukefrukem
01-01-2020, 11:21 PM
Whoa. PS+ is giving away Uncharted Collection in January. Late Christmas present for those that haven't played them.

Morris Schæffer
01-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Whoa. PS+ is giving away Uncharted Collection in January. Late Christmas present for those that haven't played them.

Not part 4 though. Still nice tho.

megladon8
01-03-2020, 01:38 PM
I would do unspeakable things for a new Dead Space game.

I would do slightly less unspeakable but still raunchy and demeaning things for a remaster set of the trilogy.

Dukefrukem
01-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Me too Meg. Me too. I would definitely play the first game on PS4. Skip the second. And go right for the third.

megladon8
01-05-2020, 08:31 PM
I’m at what I believe is the final boss in Jedi: Final Order, and it is giving me flashbacks to Genichiro in Sekiro.

This is maddening.

Ezee E
01-06-2020, 04:19 AM
Currently at the beginning of Episode II of Death Stranding.

DO I EVER GET TO PLAY THE GAME?

Irish
01-06-2020, 07:20 AM
lol, never thought to ask but did Duke ever finish that one?

Dukefrukem
01-06-2020, 12:09 PM
lol, never thought to ask but did Duke ever finish that one?

Still working through it. Obsessed with making zip lines everywhere now.

I'm on chapter 6 i think.

megladon8
01-09-2020, 02:19 PM
W00t w00t. Finally beat the final boss of Fallen Order.

I'm so glad I didn't have the ending completely, 100% spoiled for me because it was pretty cool.

I'm maybe possibly going to try to Platinum this one.

megladon8
01-09-2020, 10:29 PM
I would also like to state that Second Sister is both more threatening and more interesting than Kylo Ren.

Irish
01-11-2020, 02:50 AM
Meg, Joe --- HUGE sale right now on Nintendo digital store, including some first party games:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

https://slickdeals.net/deals/nintendo-switch/

Milky Joe
01-11-2020, 04:21 AM
Right on... might get a few cheaper indie titles. Donut County for 6.50 sounds good.

If you haven't played Downwell, it's going for pocket change and it's one of the best mobile games ever (I played it on an iPad).

Dukefrukem
01-11-2020, 12:35 PM
I really like watching speedruns, but most gamers are introverts and boring as fuck. But this guy is a fucking stud. He even uses props to explain how he does his speedruns.

He just marathoned.... all of the fallout games... in 2 hours. That's right. He beat Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 in 2 hours. WTF. All for charity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ekogf10P-c

Skitch
01-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Thats insane. Followed.

megladon8
01-14-2020, 07:47 PM
I've vowed to platinum Fallen Order before even touching one of my switches.

Morris Schæffer
01-14-2020, 08:36 PM
He exploits bugs?

Scar
01-14-2020, 08:41 PM
I've vowed to platinum Fallen Order before even touching one of my switches.

I my last XCOM2 trophy is beating the final level using only conventional weapons (weapons you start with). I think if I want to do that I need to make a shit ton of maxed out psionicists. Not really my style, but we’ll see.

Good luck.

megladon8
01-14-2020, 08:46 PM
I my last XCOM2 trophy is beating the final level using only conventional weapons (weapons you start with). I think if I want to do that I need to make a shit ton of maxed out psionicists. Not really my style, but we’ll see.

Good luck.

It blows my mind how good you are at that game.

I am just not smart enough to do well. I had a blast with it, but it's one I can't beat.

Skitch
01-14-2020, 08:50 PM
He exploits bugs?

Yeah not wild about that, but still interesting. Which leads me to (I guess we can call it "game twitter"?) Mike Matei's comment that went a bit viral...
If you use the “rewind feature” that’s now standard on many NES and SNES games available on Switch, you DID NOT by any stretch of the imagination beat the god damn game.
I agree. I have nothing against such features, but no bragging rights.

Milky Joe
01-14-2020, 08:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzRdyF7fCo

awesome! finally get to play La Mulana on a TV.

megladon8
01-15-2020, 12:38 AM
I've never heard of those games in my life.

Good?

Milky Joe
01-15-2020, 01:19 AM
I haven't actually played them (no PC), but know it was originally a retro 8-bit MSX styled, intensely difficult yet rewarding 2D Metroidvania, that was sort of Cave Story's heavier, harder older brother. Then it got remade with more 32-bit style graphics but same gameplay. Then a sequel was crowdfunded. Basically the Dark Souls of 2D indie platformers.

Dukefrukem
01-15-2020, 04:24 PM
I won't be waiting a year to play this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swbEiGWakZE

Milky Joe
01-16-2020, 06:56 AM
Switch owners, if you're looking for what is basically a perfect videogame, get the Sega Ages Virtua Racing port. It has never played better, like absolute 60 fps 90s arcade butter. And cheap. A perfect Switch game.

Morris Schæffer
01-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Switch owners, if you're looking for what is basically a perfect videogame, get the Sega Ages Virtua Racing port. It has never played better, like absolute 60 fps 90s arcade butter. And cheap. A perfect Switch game.

When I saw that game in the arcades for the 1st time, I was gobsmacked. This was in the london funland arcade at the Trocadero early 90's. But herein lies a problem for me. So much with those games, so much of what I remember is the cabinet and the force feedback steering wheels and pedals. h

A few years ago Sega released Daytona USA on Xbox live Arcade. Although the visuals were spot-on, the control and feel was totally not what I recall with cars seemingly gliding over the road surfaces.

But thanks for the tip. Now I hope we get Scud Race and Daytona USA 2. :)

Dukefrukem
01-16-2020, 05:16 PM
'Cyberpunk 2077' delayed until September 17th

Ezee E
01-16-2020, 05:21 PM
'Cyberpunk 2077' delayed until September 17th

Well darn.

Dukefrukem
01-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Plenty to do before then.

Scar
01-16-2020, 05:40 PM
I’ve still got Ace Combat and Dad of War waiting for me in the basement.

megladon8
01-16-2020, 06:16 PM
If they were really smart they would release it the same day that Matrix 4 and John Wick 4 come out.

Skitch
01-16-2020, 09:31 PM
If they were really smart they would release it the same day that Matrix 4 and John Wick 4 come out.

Didnt I say this? If not, get out of my head meg

Irish
01-18-2020, 10:38 PM
Inspired by the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, this from twitter:

"Games and narrative storytelling are fundamentally incompatible - the defining feature of video games as a medium, their interactivity, make meaningful storytelling impossible so stories are just awkwardly stapled on top of gameplay in most cases."

https://twitter.com/mtsw/status/1218290416505716737

One interesting follow-up:

"i think that fixating on games as a storytelling medium does them a disservice as art, even. the thing that makes mario amazing is that it's immaculately designed, not that its about a guy fighting a dinosaur"

https://twitter.com/corbinasmith/status/1218617652173606914

I found most of the responses strange as people flat-out denied the premise.

I'd much rather play a game as close to the metal as possible --- one that has a great loop and doesn't get in the way of its own gameplay. (Mario, yes, but also things like Doom).

Eg: I just finished "Steamworld Quest," a pretty fun deck building RPG with solid combat ... but holy shit, the game repeatedly interrupted the action with an inane, too-typical fantasy story and rambling dialogue sequences. I just wanna play the card, man, I don't wanna listen to some bullshit about how my team of characters if the Last Hope to save the world from A Terrible Evil.

Dukefrukem
01-19-2020, 02:16 AM
Yeh I'm torn on the subject. I dont know why it needs to be one way or the other. I've played games that the story is interwoven into the gameplay. A game like Portal, where there are no cut scenes, no real characters, just rooms and rooms of puzzles that ultimately tell a story as you progress.

Then there's stuff like Final Fantasy, where you spend 99% of your time reading text bubbles. And the other 1% inventory management.

And then there's The Last of Us or Uncharted. Gameplay separated by interwoven cutscenes or playable cutscenes.

And then there's Hotline Miami. Repetition IS the game.

I've been immersed in all these things and never once found them awkward or broken. There are just different ways to tell stories.

Ezee E
01-19-2020, 05:57 AM
Precisely what Duke said. And then you add in sports games which is another element in itself. It's a separate artform.

Idioteque Stalker
01-19-2020, 04:05 PM
To say that "video game stories are awkwardly stapled on top of gameplay" indicates to me this person's conception of video games (and storytelling, for that matter) is needlessly limited. I'm guessing this is the type of person who would say Dark Souls, Inside, or maybe even Gone Home don't have stories because there's never a sequence where you put the controller down and watch characters speak to each other.

[ETM]
01-20-2020, 12:12 PM
Need to vent a bit guys... Wife and I work at the same video game company, as you may remember. Today we had to sign away 30% of our paychecks for the next 6 months in order to keep the company afloat. This is company-wide and includes all departments and the owners themselves. The idea is to bridge us over the next period as we finalize negotiations with large publishers for our two upcoming projects, stuff we've been shopping around for a while now. We still make hidden object games, but we've forked over to core gaming a few years back when the hidden object market started to dwindle. Our first big game, Pagan Online, basically flopped in August and I guess the money ran out before our new stuff secured funding...

This is just a shitty situation for us... I can't even disclose what I'm making because, obviously, even my full paycheck wouldn't even cover gas money in the US, but after being frustrated for months over not getting a raise and anticipating switching to a much better and more creative position within the team only to be told the whole thing is on hold the morning it was supposed to happen, I'm finding it really hard to get into a mindset where I don't feel like an idiot and the biggest sucker ever.

I've given six years to the job (veteran age in the gaming industry) and I'm 40 now, with vague gaming development experience and skills in a young people industry, and almost nothing to show for it. The period ahead is uncertain and I'm going to have to make some tough decisions.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Dukefrukem
01-20-2020, 12:45 PM
ETM, I see reports of this kind of thing going on all the time in the video game industry. It's almost like developers run their business completely separate from every other company on the planet.

Back in 09 I went through a similar situation. I had just been laid off at the beginning of the recession. Ended up finding a job that paid 10% less than what I was making. Took the job. 2 weeks later there was a mandatory 10% pay cut for the entire company just so the company could meet their earnings projections on wallstreet. So that was a rough 6 months for me adjusting to the new salary and then an additional cut.

As a type 1, alpha, planner myself.... uncertainty is the biggest fear of mine and what helps me get through it, is putting everything down on paper with numbers. Then you can clearly see, mathematically where you are and what decisions to make.

I can help you set this kind of thing up if you're interested. I have a template you might find useful.

[ETM]
01-20-2020, 01:58 PM
That's really nice of you, Duke, but it's okay. We have some money saved up and we'll weather this. We've always been thrifty and bought as much as possible on sales even when we have enough money not to care. I'm not sure if we'll have anything left each month while this lasts, but we'll be okay, as long as things work out with the publishers. I am, however, starting the job hunt anyway, ASAP. Not gonna be a fool anymore. We've already lost three people today, from what I hear in the office.

Dukefrukem
01-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Well if you change your mind you know where to find me.

You can use my template more as "where we are and what am I spending my money on?" type of tool. Puts things in perspective on subscriptions, utilities, long term loans etc.

Morris Schæffer
01-21-2020, 10:57 AM
I was going to say that there are rumours PS5 might be shown as early as this February.

But in hindsight, hope things work out for you and the wife ETM. If not immediately, then after this tough period.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear that ETM. I didnt know you and your wife were in that industry. Have you said what company? It's cool if you dont want to.

megladon8
01-21-2020, 12:57 PM
So sorry to hear that, ETM. What a strange way to run an industry.

I'm sure you guys will make it through okay.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 12:58 PM
Let's just hope it's not Telltale.

[ETM]
01-23-2020, 07:39 PM
So sorry to hear that, ETM. What a strange way to run an industry.

I'm sure you guys will make it through okay.We should be okay. Our main local competitors, who at their biggest had 400 employees (we had 170 at most) laid off over 100 people with no advance notice (Telltale style) a few years ago, and recently they were bought out by a Russian company who makes those generic cutesy mobile games, losing a further chunk of employees. Our owners chose to not fire anyone. We did lose almost ten good people already, anyone who has any other plan isn't gonna wait this out.

Idioteque Stalker
01-23-2020, 10:39 PM
There really, really needs to be a game developers union.

Ezee E
01-24-2020, 02:48 AM
There really, really needs to be a game developers union.

Surprised there isn't.

bac0n
01-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Speaking as a guy who's worked in tech for over 25 years, most of them as a developer, I am not. Programmers have absolutely zero leverage. If they become too expensive, their jobs get shipped overseas.

[ETM]
01-24-2020, 05:22 PM
We are the "overseas". Only now they're beginning to ship our jobs to even lower paying countries.

megladon8
01-25-2020, 01:44 PM
I just read an interview with the dude who left Bungie to start V1, and he was talking about crunch time and how brutal it is.

What I don't get, though, is that he said that crunch time was people "spending upwards of 50 hours a week".

I thought it would be much, much more than that.

50 hours is my normal work week.

Skitch
01-25-2020, 01:54 PM
I just read an interview with the dude who left Bungie to start V1, and he was talking about crunch time and how brutal it is.

What I don't get, though, is that he said that crunch time was people "spending upwards of 50 hours a week".

I thought it would be much, much more than that.

50 hours is my normal work week.

Yeah 50 hours isnt crazy at all. I remember hearing some programmers work 120 hours a week.

Dukefrukem
01-25-2020, 04:54 PM
Yeh if they're complaining about 50 hours a week that's weak. Welcome to life.com.

Ezee E
01-25-2020, 05:38 PM
I've never heard of anyone working 120 hours a week. Can't even fathom how it'd work.

Dukefrukem
01-25-2020, 05:43 PM
I've never heard of anyone working 120 hours a week. Can't even fathom how it'd work.

Technically, firefighters do it all the time.

Skitch
01-25-2020, 05:44 PM

I've had people at my company pull those kinds of hours. Rare, but its happened. Routine is pushing 80+.

megladon8
01-25-2020, 08:04 PM
I worked a couple of 80+ hour weeks at WalMart, and I felt like I would rather die than continue pushing.

120 hours seems impossible. I'm not saying it is, I mean for me.

megladon8
01-26-2020, 12:37 AM
Plan 8 looks wild.

Milky Joe
01-26-2020, 01:55 AM
Videogame programmers to all other industries:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0d/d0/41/0dd04139be49aa3b8926ef46e0d150 d6--noel-fielding-english-comedy.jpg

Ezee E
01-26-2020, 07:25 AM
Technically, firefighters do it all the time.

48 on, 96 off, unless you make some type of trade.. And I've been there... And those hours at the fire station aren't exactly daunting.

megladon8
01-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Got my 4th Platinum trophy last night, with Jedi: Fallen Order!

megladon8
01-28-2020, 09:43 PM
Have started Breath of the Wild, and WOW. This game is something else.

Still haven't set a Switch up in docked mode, only playing portable.

I have to say, I really hope Nintendo makes good on their hinting at a trophy / achievement system of their own in the future. I love that stuff - achievement hunting, marking my progress with them, the satisfaction of "completing" a game.

I know we've only had it for the last 2 generations of systems, but I can't imagine not having it now.

amberlita
01-31-2020, 11:07 AM

I'm doing this right now, though maybe more around 110 hrs a week (and I don't work in the gaming industry). This is how it works for me anyway:

- I work a 14 hour day, typically 7a-9p or 8a-10p
- Go home and eat an extremely late dinner, maybe try to clear my brain by watching a youtube video or calling my mom, who only proceeds to ask me to rehash my day
- Spend another 1-2 hours doing more work on my computer at home while watching TV (this is what really gets you near the 120 mark)
- Fall asleep on the couch while working
- Wake up and spend about 30 minutes browsing news or MC while drinking my morning coffee
- Rinse and repeat everyday, including weekends

I've had to do this before and I'll have to do it again; it's the nature of my job. When it happens, it's usually a 2-3 week burst, though this particular time is more unpredictable than the others. That said, I do believe that if at any point I needed a break from this, I could let my leadership know and they would find a way to rotate someone else in. It helps that I don't work in the private industry. These game developers don't have that option; or at least are too afraid to seek it out.

Dukefrukem
01-31-2020, 01:06 PM
What line of work are you in? You don't work in a private industry suggests you work a government or state job?

Ezee E
01-31-2020, 02:02 PM
I have some doctor friends that work crazy hours, but it works out, because then they'll spend 2-3 weeks on some other continent.

megladon8
01-31-2020, 03:35 PM
That's incredible, amberlita. Kudos to you being able to do that.

Anything more than 60-70 and I start to shut down.

Has your health not taken a toll at all? Especially this time of year?

Wryan
01-31-2020, 11:19 PM
Will be buying this at my earliest convenience:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades

Same company that did Bastion, Transistor and Pyre. A rogue-like/lite with clean, snappy combat and sweet visual design, with the usual rpg elements and progression thru runs. In early access unfortunately, but given the company's track record, I don't mind putting my trust in them. Watched someone play it for several hours the other day, and it looks terrif. Given that I'm also a soft touch for mythology, this is an easy one.

Skitch
02-01-2020, 01:41 AM

Even pushing 60 makes me crazy, double since I added kids to the mix.

My dad worked like a dog my whole life. Wasn't around for much because he was working. His theory was if he works super hard now he wont have to work later. So then I'm 17 and hes like, "Lets hang out". That doesn't really work with any 17 year old I've ever heard of. I'm not trying to dog my dad, he was a thousand times his father, but I'm just trying to do better. Yeah I'm probably not gonna have much of a retirement, but I'm gonna be around for my kids growing up, the little things. Besides, my luck, if I worked a 100 hours a week until I reached retirement age, I'd get hit by a car the next week. Tomorrow is never promised.

megladon8
02-01-2020, 02:43 AM
Yussssss. Their games are something else.

Been a fan of Greg Kasavin since his days as a gamespot reviewer.

amberlita
02-01-2020, 03:53 AM

Thanks. It definitely has taken a health toll. And a personal one -- I've torpedoed a few relationships because of my lifestyle. The bad thing is that the effect it takes is long term, so it's hard to see it happening. You look back and realize the gradual decline that has occurred.

I don't find too much issue with the short term effects. I'm an ID doctor. They don't put it on the curriculum, but part of the training for any physician is functioning through the immediate effects of fatigue and codifying a certain work ethic. In truth, I bet anyone could do it because the training requires you to. Sure, if you jumped into those hours right now you'd collapse but that's because you aren't used to it! I am. I left clinical practice to work at the CDC about 5 years ago, and part of the reason I have thus far decided not to go back to clinical practice is because the 80-100 hr work weeks were not in brief bursts - it was all the time.

I don't love working this much. But I love what I do - both infectious diseases and public health. I think it's important and meaningful, and it's personally rewarding to me to work hard at something I believe is impactful. Like today - I just got home about an hour ago. It was a 16-hour day. I'm tired. I'm don't know if I did everything right, I don't know how others feel that I handled situations. But I feel content knowing that, at the very least, when the stakes are high I refuse to be out-worked.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread...how about all these 2020 game delays, huh?!! WTF?!!

Ezee E
02-01-2020, 04:38 AM
I don't love working this much. But I love what I do - both infectious diseases and public health.

This is the most important part of it all. Thanks for sharing.

Skitch
02-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Oh wow amberlita. That's amazing. That's another profession that demands insane hours. Should we move to Random Thoughts or another thread, I'd love to hear your take on this Corona virus.

amberlita
02-01-2020, 12:11 PM
Oh wow amberlita. That's amazing. That's another profession that demands insane hours. Should we move to Random Thoughts or another thread, I'd love to hear your take on this Corona virus.

Let’s take that to PM instead.

megladon8
02-01-2020, 12:29 PM
Thanks. It definitely has taken a health toll. And a personal one -- I've torpedoed a few relationships because of my lifestyle. The bad thing is that the effect it takes is long term, so it's hard to see it happening. You look back and realize the gradual decline that has occurred.

I don't find too much issue with the short term effects. I'm an ID doctor. They don't put it on the curriculum, but part of the training for any physician is functioning through the immediate effects of fatigue and codifying a certain work ethic. In truth, I bet anyone could do it because the training requires you to. Sure, if you jumped into those hours right now you'd collapse but that's because you aren't used to it! I am. I left clinical practice to work at the CDC about 5 years ago, and part of the reason I have thus far decided not to go back to clinical practice is because the 80-100 hr work weeks were not in brief bursts - it was all the time.

I don't love working this much. But I love what I do - both infectious diseases and public health. I think it's important and meaningful, and it's personally rewarding to me to work hard at something I believe is impactful. Like today - I just got home about an hour ago. It was a 16-hour day. I'm tired. I'm don't know if I did everything right, I don't know how others feel that I handled situations. But I feel content knowing that, at the very least, when the stakes are high I refuse to be out-worked.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread...how about all these 2020 game delays, huh?!! WTF?!!

That's very admirable.

I'm happy people like you are in these positions, helping all of us.

I love what you wrote in your second last paragraph. While I'm just a mere retail worker, I too love that sense of pride of getting home after a wild, long day and knowing I worked hard and didn't give up. While its nothing compared to what you're doing, retail can be damn stressful, yo! :D

Idioteque Stalker
02-01-2020, 02:52 PM
As a fan of rogue likes and that particular studio, I’m interested in Hades. Isometric games are rarely favorites, tho... not sure why I have a hard time with that perspective.

Dukefrukem
02-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Now I need a switch.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/31/21117435/ps4-survey-remote-play-xbox-switch

Ezee E
02-01-2020, 06:26 PM
I have Apple, so I couldn't play this, but I watched someone play it on youtube... and I really want to play the full game when it comes out

If you have windows and 20 mins of time...

SENTIENT (https://www.alphabetagamer.com/sentient-playable-teaser-download/)

megladon8
02-04-2020, 03:49 PM
Cannot get over how much I'm enjoying Breath of the Wild.

Dukefrukem
02-06-2020, 12:17 AM
Don't show scar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO7ZEvizL2Y&feature=emb_title

Scar
02-06-2020, 12:37 AM
Haven't touched Fallout 76. Half tempted to fire up Fallout 3 again after beating New Vegas again.

Dukefrukem
02-06-2020, 02:28 AM
Haven't touched Fallout 76. Half tempted to fire up Fallout 3 again after beating New Vegas again.

This is supposed to be the update that makes Fallout 76 good.

Scar
02-06-2020, 10:40 AM
This is supposed to be the update that makes Fallout 76 good.

Intriguing....

bac0n
02-06-2020, 12:58 PM
I still have zero interest in Fallout 76, especially after fuck-up after fuck-up after fuck-up with this epic disaster of a game. Couple that with the fact that I really don't have any interest in MMOs. I tried getting into Elder Scrolls Online, for example, but couldn't; it just kills the immersion of a game when you see a bunch of elves scattering about with names like 3xtr3m3K1LLALOL.

Scar
02-06-2020, 02:04 PM
I still have zero interest in Fallout 76, especially after fuck-up after fuck-up after fuck-up with this epic disaster of a game. Couple that with the fact that I really don't have any interest in MMOs. I tried getting into Elder Scrolls Online, for example, but couldn't; it just kills the immersion of a game when you see a bunch of elves scattering about with names like 3xtr3m3K1LLALOL.

Besides, you won’t finish RDR2 until 2025.

Dukefrukem
02-06-2020, 02:06 PM

Well this is the update that adds in NPCs. I'm at least way more interested now than at launch. Especially if you can play through the game co-op (which they should have added in Fallout 4).

It doesn't matter for me right now anyway. I have one night a week I can dedicate for gaming and I always end up playing some random shooter that I can drop in 15 minutes rather than try and get immersed in any RPG.

My gaming days are close to dead.

bac0n
02-06-2020, 07:28 PM
Besides, you won’t finish RDR2 until 2025.

Ha! You're not wrong. :eek:

And welcome to parenthood, Duke. Positive side is, you can get a single game to stretch out for mooooooonths. I'm STILL on Act 4 in RDR2.

Dukefrukem
02-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Ha! You're not wrong. :eek:

And welcome to parenthood, Duke. Positive side is, you can get a single game to stretch out for mooooooonths. I'm STILL on Act 4 in RDR2.

Then why am I still buying games??

bac0n
02-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Because SOMEONE has to pick up the slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dukefrukem
02-10-2020, 09:09 PM
More video game industry shenanigans

https://www.destructoid.com/the-whole-system-shock-3-team-might-have-been-let-go-580222.phtml

megladon8
02-12-2020, 05:30 PM
I really need decent internet to make it's way to where I live.

Its only a matter of time before consoles become completely free of physical media.

Morris Schæffer
02-12-2020, 05:33 PM
Well this is the update that adds in NPCs. I'm at least way more interested now than at launch. Especially if you can play through the game co-op (which they should have added in Fallout 4).

It doesn't matter for me right now anyway. I have one night a week I can dedicate for gaming and I always end up playing some random shooter that I can drop in 15 minutes rather than try and get immersed in any RPG.

My gaming days are close to dead.

You wouldn't have any time during weekends?

Dukefrukem
02-12-2020, 06:07 PM
You wouldn't have any time during weekends?

Weekends are filled with baby time.

Skitch
02-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Nap times become the only free times. Or after everyone goes to bed in the evening...so you can then fall asleep on the couch and spill your drink in you lap 20 minutes later. This is my life lol

Morris Schæffer
02-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Weekends are filled with baby time.

God that sounds awful. I mean, from my perspective. Not a father yet, but I'm mortified of this happening to me.

How can something be a major hobby/passion and then not finding any time in the weekend? as in zero time. Maybe you're perfectly content with this, if so great man! Wish you all the happyness.

Still, if you wanna game more, couldn't your wife cover a little bit for ya?

bac0n
02-13-2020, 01:23 PM
When I became a dad, my entire world view changed in an instant. Literally the second my daughter and I met eyes for the first time and I saw that "oh that's the guy who was singing to me all this time" look in her eyes. I could feel the circuits of my brain reconnecting. Simply put, it was no-longer about me, nor would it ever be again. Time for anything is whatever is left over after family time is done. Simple as that. And that's perfectly fine.

I hardly ever play video games until after the kids are in bed, which nowadays that that girl is now a teenager and I'm often in bed before she is, translates to I hardly ever play video games. That's why I'm still on my first pay-through of Red Dead Redemption 2, despite having gotten it the day it came out back in November 2018. And that is perfectly fine.

Mr. McGibblets
02-13-2020, 05:47 PM
With one kid, I would game in the evening (from like 9:00 to 11:00) on days when I didn't have anything else to do and on the weekend when she took naps. With two little kids, I might get an hour a week when they're both asleep and I don't have something else that I have to get done.

Scar
02-13-2020, 07:46 PM
When I became a dad, my entire world view changed in an instant. Literally the second my daughter and I met eyes for the first time and I saw that "oh that's the guy who was singing to me all this time" look in her eyes. I could feel the circuits of my brain reconnecting. Simply put, it was no-longer about me, nor would it ever be again. Time for anything is whatever is left over after family time is done. Simple as that. And that's perfectly fine.

I hardly ever play video games until after the kids are in bed, which nowadays that that girl is now a teenager and I'm often in bed before she is, translates to I hardly ever play video games. That's why I'm still on my first pay-through of Red Dead Redemption 2, despite having gotten it the day it came out back in November 2018. And that is perfectly fine.

Added bonus- She’s dominating Skyrim.

Skitch
02-14-2020, 08:18 PM
First time in months I sit down to play a new game. Maybe I'm wrong, but I though Alien: Isolation got good reviews? Hour in, this game is GARBAGE. Angry I wasted this much free time on it.

Dukefrukem
02-14-2020, 08:21 PM
First time in months I sit down to play a new game. Maybe I'm wrong, but I though Alien: Isolation got good reviews? Hour in, this game is GARBAGE. Angry I wasted this much free time on it.

Yeh this opinion is wrong.

Skitch
02-14-2020, 08:25 PM
Yeh this opinion is wrong.

I can't figure out where to go, the diversionary tactics the game promotes do NOT work, getting my ass killed by the very first enemies I encounter (an hour into the game), the control scheme is shit, I can't unequip stuff...

Dukefrukem
02-14-2020, 08:40 PM
I kinda want to play this game the same time as you now.

megladon8
02-14-2020, 08:45 PM
I loved the game, but I'll agree the controls were a bit wonky.

Irish
02-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Haven't played "Alien: Isolation" yet (I downloaded through GamePass tho) ... but bad controls are an absolute dealbreaker for me.

I bought "River City Girls" on Switch a few months back & it's hilarious & fun & exactly what I want from a throwback beat-em-up. But you can't re-map the controls at all, and the controls are awkward. This alone made me stop playing a game I otherwise enjoyed.

I wish to hell more reviewers would mention this in their reviews. They'll talk about framerates and "smooth gameplay" endlessly but they won't mention something as simple and important as the control scheme. It drives me nuts & more than once I've hesitated to buy something because I was afraid the controls would suck.

Skitch
02-14-2020, 09:17 PM
I kinda want to play this game the same time as you now.

You'll be playing alone, because I'm done.

Ezee E
02-14-2020, 10:03 PM
Just wait until you see the cyborgs.

Dukefrukem
02-17-2020, 12:36 PM
After all the talk about not being able to play much, the wife let me sit down for a couple of nights and catch up on my backlog.

I think I'm finally done with Far Cry 5. I completed the Mars DLC that came with my purchase and can finally de-install that game. I still it's the best in the franchise.

I'm having the most fun imaginable playing Dusk. It's a 90's throwback to FPS and boy is it brilliant. Optimized for 1080p but still emphasizes the pixel enemies without them being sprites. Level design is super creative. It's a blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbqNRDPd5_k

Morris Schæffer
02-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Enjoy Duke!:)

Irish
02-17-2020, 08:06 PM
I'm having the most fun imaginable playing Dusk. It's a 90's throwback to FPS and boy is it brilliant. Optimized for 1080p but still emphasizes the pixel enemies without them being sprites. Level design is super creative. It's a blast.

Absolutely jealous. Been waiting for this one on Switch for awhile.

Dukefrukem
02-17-2020, 09:27 PM
Absolutely jealous. Been waiting for this one on Switch for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo9E8axNJcM&feature=emb_title

Irish
02-17-2020, 09:36 PM
lol fuck you duke you absolute basterd :D :D :D

megladon8
02-17-2020, 10:20 PM
It's great to hear that that one's good. Freaking love me some retro shooters.

I hated Shadow Warrior, though.