PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Milky Joe
07-17-2019, 04:49 AM
yeah, it's basically endless mario levels in the styles of 5 different games.

watch GrandPooBear on Youtube, he's the best. watching BarbarousKing's videos designing levels is fascinating as well

Skitch
07-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Wow I saw that 1-1 level but assumed it was a youtube vid, not an actual playable. (Theres LOADS of those, I have a 5 and 7 year old, trust me, I KNOW.)

Super Mario Maker 2 sounds like the last Mario game anyone ever needs! I mean that like its the pinnacle.

StuSmallz
07-18-2019, 05:03 AM
yeah, it's basically endless mario levels in the styles of 5 different games.

watch GrandPooBear on Youtube, he's the best. watching BarbarousKing's videos designing levels is fascinating as wellI love Poo too, but my favorite MM streamer on Youtube will always be the one, the only, CarlSagan42, yo:

https://youtu.be/Hg4OjsC3Ty8

megladon8
07-18-2019, 10:38 AM
Everyone with a PS+ sub should download this month’s free game, Horizon Chase Turbo.

Colourful, incredible energy, super fast, tons of variety. It’s an amazing retro racer and great fun.

Irish
07-20-2019, 02:53 AM
Whelp. Appears co-op gear grinds from 2012 are exactly my jam.

Been playing a lot of Borderlands 2 this past week. Insane fun. Gearbox basically took Blizzard's model and applied it to an FPS. Insanely varied loot system, fun skill trees, huge maps, lotsa grinding. Glad I subscribed to GamePass because I wouldn't have given it a chance otherwise.

Only downside is that I still find playing shooters on a console awkward. You can't kite with a controller like you can with a keyboard and mouse. I miss that.

Also shocked to discover that they released yet another DLC this past June --- for a 7 year old game.

Officially psyched for 3 this fall but I'm a little worried they won't be able to replicate everything this game does so well.

Skitch
07-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Borderlands 1 and 2 are fucking great.

Dukefrukem
07-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Borderlands 2 is not just one of the best games ever made, it has the best villain and best DLC (Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep) ever made.

Can't wait to hear you thoughts on Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep Irish. Highly recommended you play it. It's filled with hilarity.

Irish
07-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Cool! I'm definitely playing all the DLC and as much of the base game as I can.

Last night I ran a FedEx quest that I swear to God coulda been straight out of World of Warcraft. Made me smile.

Dukefrukem
07-20-2019, 02:33 PM
You'll see a lot of those World of Warcraft references. :)

Have you met Tiny Tina yet in the main game?

Irish
07-20-2019, 02:36 PM
Haven't met Tiny Tina in the main game yet but I accidentally jumped into some level 30+ DLC area and saw her there (along with Mordecai and Brick, I think?)

Dukefrukem
07-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Haven't met Tiny Tina in the main game yet but I accidentally jumped into some level 30+ DLC area and saw her there (along with Mordecai and Brick, I think?)

Oh definitely do the main game before doing any DLC. Or try to at least.

Dukefrukem
07-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Leaked gameplay footage of Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. I think it looks OK and about what we would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=HJQKiOXlHgw

megladon8
07-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Is Borderlands 2 worth playing alone, or is it really a co-op only game?

Skitch
07-20-2019, 05:48 PM

I've only played it alone.

Irish
07-20-2019, 06:51 PM

Little of both.

I've only played alone and I'm having a blast, but it's also the sorta game that looks like a ton of fun to play co-op. (Very similar to Diablo 3, in that regard.)

bac0n
07-20-2019, 08:43 PM
I had a lot of fun with Borderlands 2, but never beat it. Got stuck on a particular mission, put it down, and never picked it up again.

Different note, looks like out of no where, we got a release date for Ghost of Tsushima, my most anticipated game right now. August 30th is what they're saying. I'm stoked it's coming out, but I probably won't get to it for a few months. Still playing RDR2 and I don't think that's going to be changing any time soon.

Morris Schæffer
07-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Leaked gameplay footage of Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. I think it looks OK and about what we would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=HJQKiOXlHgw

Lol at 1:33. Dude trapped under bus. Thor: "Are you hurt?" Dude: "No, just stuck". Reminded me of a cut scene in a 90's arcade game.

Anyway, looks fun and super slick, but it has potential to be insanely stupendous. And it probably won't reach that height.

Morris Schæffer
07-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Some quick thoughts on Isomniac's Spider-Man game. I've completed about 40% of the game so far, did quite a few side quests in particular such as collecting backpacks etc..

It's a ridiculously fast and entertaining game, traversing the city is a huge joy, it's a technically ace game too. Coming after God of War, the fights don't seem very taxing. Movement is so frenetic that jumping out of harm's way is always an easy alternative. It's fun, but I don't feel badass...so far. I can buy all kinds of new moves, but they seem there for show, I'm not sure I need them. God of War really made you feel the value of certain techniques and powers. I think that's good design although I guess I appreciate a lower difficulty, something less aggravating. Scanning the area always reveals new sidequests, backpacks, landmarks to be photographed, Harry's research stations and they're all marked with huge laser beams shooting out of their locations which means it's a bit less gratifying to actually find them. Not scanning the area makes it too difficult.

But it's a good game, story seems to go interesting places. Great fun!

Ezee E
07-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Some quick thoughts on Isomniac's Spider-Man game. I've completed about 40% of the game so far, did quite a few side quests in particular such as collecting backpacks etc..

It's a ridiculously fast and entertaining game, traversing the city is a huge joy, it's a technically ace game too. Coming after God of War, the fights don't seem very taxing. Movement is so frenetic that jumping out of harm's way is always an easy alternative. It's fun, but I don't feel badass...so far. I can buy all kinds of new moves, but they seem there for show, I'm not sure I need them. God of War really made you feel the value of certain techniques and powers. I think that's good design although I guess I appreciate a lower difficulty, something less aggravating. Scanning the area always reveals new sidequests, backpacks, landmarks to be photographed, Harry's research stations and they're all marked with huge laser beams shooting out of their locations which means it's a bit less gratifying to actually find them. Not scanning the area makes it too difficult.

But it's a good game, story seems to go interesting places. Great fun!

There's a few good boss battles that start to get a little challenging, but it was never overbearing. Had a blast going through it the entire time though.

Morris Schæffer
07-22-2019, 04:23 PM
There's a few good boss battles that start to get a little challenging, but it was never overbearing. Had a blast going through it the entire time though.

Yeah feels good to sort of power through it, but still do enough side shit as well. My backlog would entirely agree. :)

Morris Schæffer
07-23-2019, 03:35 PM
And spider-man just stopped being a colorful yarn. Wow wow wow! Shit got real.

megladon8
07-23-2019, 03:46 PM
I was very surprised by how strong the story telling was in Spider-Man.

Irish
07-26-2019, 02:09 AM
Anyone getting Wolfenstein: Youngblood?

megladon8
07-26-2019, 03:21 AM
Anyone getting Wolfenstein: Youngblood?

After those reviews? Nope.

megladon8
07-28-2019, 10:31 PM
Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale getting released on Xbone and PS4?

YES PLEASE VERY MUCH!!!

Irish
07-28-2019, 10:52 PM
After those reviews? Nope.

Good God, I'm so in the bag for Wolfenstein I forgot to look. That gives me pause.

Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale getting released on Xbone and PS4?

YES PLEASE VERY MUCH!!!

Switch, too, iirc. (At least, Baldur's Gate & Shadow of Amn are.)

I'd be much more hyped but the company that originally produced the revised/extended editions of these games is pure bottom feeder and did a terrible job of updating the games. Like, these dudes are pretty much 1 step away from being asset flippers.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2019, 03:40 PM
I feel like the Switch is becoming the hand held that I need. Lots of third party games coming to it. Is Nintendo finally woke?

Scar
07-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Fired up XCOM2 to get another silver trophy. Complete a mission on Commander + with soldiers all of the same class. My four rangers of the apocalypse handled it well.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2019, 07:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUOrDli_HXs

Irish
07-31-2019, 02:29 AM
Lately I've been watching this dude a coupla times a week when I get take out: https://mixer.com/covent

Does anyone here watch streamers regularly? I've been really getting into this shit since I bought the consoles. It's fun to have a stream running on my laptop when I'm playing.

Milky Joe
07-31-2019, 02:54 AM
I feel like the Switch is becoming the hand held that I need. Lots of third party games coming to it. Is Nintendo finally woke?

The Switch is awesome. It's the best Nintendo console since the GC. They have always been awesome at handhelds so it makes sense that their best console in forever is a home/handheld hybrid.

Skitch
07-31-2019, 03:19 AM
Lately I've been watching this dude a coupla times a week when I get take out: https://mixer.com/covent

Does anyone here watch streamers regularly? I've been really getting into this shit since I bought the consoles. It's fun to have a stream running on my laptop when I'm playing.

I always put a stream on my computer when I game. Something to look at during loading screens. Usually go to twitch and see what's happening, usually random.

Dukefrukem
07-31-2019, 12:26 PM

The only guy I watch regularly is a niche streamer named CarcinogenSDA. He usually does Resident Evil speed runs but also does some commentary on the development of the games.

Irish
08-01-2019, 11:00 PM
https://i.imgur.com/79Lcgda.png

lol, vox dot com: always on the cutting edge

Dukefrukem
08-02-2019, 12:43 AM
I'll be honest. I never heard of Mixer until today.

Irish
08-02-2019, 01:16 AM
I'll be honest. I never heard of Mixer until today.

Weirdo, yesterday you quoted a post where I mention them. :D

Dukefrukem
08-02-2019, 01:48 AM
Weirdo, yesterday you quoted a post where I mention them. :D

I know. And even though I read it, I didn't remember it. Not until it was associated with Ninja. Isn't marketing weird when it works?

Irish
08-02-2019, 02:21 AM
I know. And even though I read it, I didn't remember it. Not until it was associated with Ninja. Isn't marketing weird when it works?

LOL, very good point.

The guy I watch regularly has 5 times the viewers tonight because of the announcement. Whatever MSFT paid Ninja, they got him cheap.

Morris Schæffer
08-02-2019, 11:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUOrDli_HXs

Some cool memories playing the N64 version back in the day. Great soundtrack, one of the first games to use the N64 expansion pack to boost the resolution (but introduced frame issues), amazing weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObzyVBobrg

megladon8
08-02-2019, 11:25 AM
The cerebral bore remains one of the most amazingly bonkers weapons ever in a game.

Ezee E
08-02-2019, 07:57 PM
The cerebral bore remains one of the most amazingly bonkers weapons ever in a game.

So good. Went through the first game many of times just to shoot that thing around.

Irish
08-07-2019, 01:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsu9uDMlIMM

^ This is already out on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux and it's coming to the Switch next.

Can't wait. I am absolutely down for retro-90s shooters with good gameplay.

megladon8
08-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Yeah looks like such great fun.

I was amazed how well 2016’s DOOM captured that feeling. I’m hoping Eternal is even better.

For my money the best 90s shooter was Unreal.

I wish that franchise would be revived. Not Unreal Tournament, the original Unreal.

megladon8
08-07-2019, 09:54 PM
My god the writing in Gears 4 is awful.

Makes Gears 1-3 look like some Shakespearean shit.

And its occasional attempts at seeming “woke” and progressive are painful.

Skitch
08-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Quite enjoyed Gears 1 and 2. Recently picked up Gears 3. Quit halfway through. So repetitive and dull.

Scar
08-08-2019, 12:25 AM
Fired up Skyrim on a whim and right now I’m doing a Ranger build. After many hours of wandering, sniping, house building, etc, I started up the mountain to visit the Grey Beards. As is tradition, I had to deal with Angry Karl the ice Troll.

Now he’s Angry Karl the pin cushion.

bac0n
08-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Attaboy!

Irish
08-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Gears 4 is 115 gigs ... wtf?!

Curious about this especially since Gears 5 is coming out soon but I just don't know... that's nearly 3 times the size of Gears 1.

... also does anyone else find cover based mechanics annoying as hell? Not like "Ima move around this corner / pillar / crate so the mobs can't hit me" but like pressing a button so your character sticks to the wall and peeks around the corner kinda shit.

megladon8
08-08-2019, 11:35 PM
It’s definitely feeling a bit dated.

I feel like Binary Domain and Spec Ops: The Line might represent the best the genre has to offer.

Morris Schæffer
08-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Finished Spiderman. Good game with amazing visuals and controls.

Started Far Cry 5 now. Always liked the franchise, wonderful sense of freedom and, crucially, never a dull moment. Still sweet to scope out a compound and plan my approach, picking off baddies without alerting the rest. It feels far more spontaneous and freeform than a rdr2 with lovely pandemonium when shit hits the fan. Lotsa bugs though, though no gamebreakers...so far.

amberlita
08-11-2019, 11:46 PM
Finished the main portion of RDR2 earlier today. I cried. Not just once but multiple times. Admittedly I never finished RDR1 and I don't play many games on the whole, let alone ones with a real storyline, let alone finish those ones with a storyline (the last one may have been a Arkham City). But I didn't quite expect that deep of an emotional impact. I really came to love Arthur. And my horse, which I refused to switch and when the game forced me to use a temporary horse I would always audible an apology or gentle reassurance once reunited with my real companion.

I had dinked around for the first few chapters; dropped the game for months. Can't say why I decided to get back into it, and I still wasn't hooked. I like the nature of this game, but I don't love it. And I can't spent hours upon hours trying to gather pelts to make a new saddle that I don't even really want to use. But after Arthur found out he's dying I was riveted. Still made time to enjoy the world (love you, Rolling Block Rifle), but the story is where it was at for me. I felt the ending coming and kept telling myself I should stop and go finish finding rock carvings or dinosaur bones before it's too late, but I couldn't help it.

I wish I'd known what more I could have done with my money. Bit of a disconnect with Dutch constantly harping about needing more money and I'd want to be like "buddy I can fund us all to gtfo here".

Also wish I could've fucking found Gavin.

Morris Schæffer
08-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Sort of my trajectory and feelings with the game. In the end, it's great storytelling first and foremost, but not something which really, truly riveted me gameplay-wise.

Irish
08-13-2019, 07:45 AM
LOL, goddamn. More bad vibes from the Borderlands 3 launch: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/cpdrul/no_preload_for_borderlands_3_o n_epic_games/

Dukefrukem
08-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Yeh but in Epic's defense, it's still growing. Remember when steam had absolutely nothing but a painful way to launch games? It took them years to be loved and Epic already have cloud save support for some of their games. So they are adding features.

This is a very aggressive roadmap. (I'm still not getting BL3 at launch)

https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/WCCFepicgamesstoreroadmap.jpg

Irish
08-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I've heard that excuse before and I think it's a lame one. This is 2019 and we're talking about an established, billion dollar business. (And as noted in that thread, Steam had pre-loads when Half Life 2 was released in 2005.)

Epic has improved, but somehow they still don't have a shopping cart and the ability to take certain foreign currencies. This literally costs them business. They took pre-orders on BL3 and now they announce they can't pre-load it. I dunno how that's even possible from either a business or technical standpoint.

In the grand scheme, who cares, but jfc oth it's almost like they're trying to alienate their own customers.

Irish
08-14-2019, 03:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDuPDGZMlE

Meanwhile, has anyone played this?

Because it looks like it's deeply fucked up yet somehow hilarious if played co-op.

Ezee E
08-14-2019, 04:03 AM
It was a free game of the month, and I gave it a shot. The concept is there, but there's so many bugs and control issues that it's not worth my time.

Scar
08-14-2019, 02:21 PM
It was a free game of the month, and I gave it a shot. The concept is there, but there's so many bugs and control issues that it's not worth my time.

I invested a couple hours in it, and then came to the same conclusion. Glad I didn’t pay for it.

However, Sniper Elite 4 is a free game this month!

Dukefrukem
08-15-2019, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I've heard that excuse before and I think it's a lame one. This is 2019 and we're talking about an established, billion dollar business. (And as noted in that thread, Steam had pre-loads when Half Life 2 was released in 2005.)

Epic has improved, but somehow they still don't have a shopping cart and the ability to take certain foreign currencies. This literally costs them business. They took pre-orders on BL3 and now they announce they can't pre-load it. I dunno how that's even possible from either a business or technical standpoint.

In the grand scheme, who cares, but jfc oth it's almost like they're trying to alienate their own customers.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/15/epics-latest-store-update-brings-cloud-saves-to-more-games/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cu aW5vcmVhZGVyLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALxBPXez wX_cCoMpFIs8ZL7WQRUGRyYrSQ_XyY S3qzKReZqGwbSE9FoKQph0MnyDZ8B1 8i2ds8-2sJLIDuicfj2-z-N2jncGxFM4q_dXYnZFOmP5mA_kJub7 WyPr_KOUJE-OvwCtgThmi7aEGUvEkJ-2C1h78HbgoHqXkjisMxWu

Irish
08-16-2019, 12:55 AM
https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/15/epics-latest-store-update-brings-cloud-saves-to-more-games/

???

Cloud saves are nice but they don't bring in new customers and they don't incentivize anyone to spend money.

Dukefrukem
08-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Hotline Miami launching on Switch today??

OK... now I'm seriously looking into buying a Switch.

Dukefrukem
08-20-2019, 12:29 AM
Insomniac Games acquired by Sony. Wow.

Many Spider-man games incoming...

bac0n
08-20-2019, 02:07 AM
Any of you guys use an airport express wifi router with your PS4? I updated the firmware on the airport last week, and my PS4 hasn't been able to connect to it since (can't find the SSID).

I'm on the verge of getting a new router, but it's odd - the PS4 is the only device in the house that has trouble connecting to the wifi.

EDIT: Mystery solved - I had switched my router to 5Ghz to help with throughput, but I guess the PS4 I have only supports 2.4GHz (lame).

Milky Joe
08-26-2019, 01:07 PM

megladon8
08-26-2019, 09:32 PM
Any big handheld gamers here?

Irish
08-27-2019, 12:09 AM
I own a Switch. Does that count?

Irish
08-27-2019, 12:09 AM
Also oh God I forgot today is the day: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WoWClassic

megladon8
08-27-2019, 12:13 AM
I’m just trying to find out if a 3DS is worth getting while they’re still easy to find?

I have a DS and love it.

Should I just skip a gen and get a switch?

Milky Joe
08-27-2019, 03:06 AM
The 3DS was a great little system, but its time is done. It's worth buying if you get one cheap and as long as you aren't expecting anything more than what's already there—pretty sure Nintendo has moved all their efforts to the Switch. I have a feeling that all the best games on it will eventually be ported to the Switch (I hope, anyway... please give me Super Mario 3D Land on the Switch!!!). You won't be able to play the Sega 3D Classics in 3D anywhere else though.

But like, yeah, you should probably just get a Switch if what you want is the latest best handheld Nintendo stuff.

Irish
08-28-2019, 12:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfjFwKL3CQ

^ "Dark Souls with guns"

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UdjGDggN8Y

Tempted to give this a shot. It's $40 on Steam / PS4 / XBone.

Scar
08-28-2019, 12:23 AM
I suddenly feel like I was summoned here by Irish.

Irish
08-28-2019, 06:04 AM
@Scar: :D

@Meg: Switch Light might be something to consider. $200 US, handheld only. Sep 20. Review/ preview: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/8/27/20833573/nintendo-switch-lite-hands-on-handheld-console-portable-dpad-impressions-price

Dukefrukem
08-28-2019, 12:09 PM
I may be buying a switch this week....

megladon8
08-28-2019, 03:23 PM
@Scar: :D

@Meg: Switch Light might be something to consider. $200 US, handheld only. Sep 20. Review/ preview: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/8/27/20833573/nintendo-switch-lite-hands-on-handheld-console-portable-dpad-impressions-price

Yeah I’ve been reading about the Lite.

I might, I dunno...

I do like being able to play games on my TV.

I’m a complicated man.

Irish
08-31-2019, 11:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwNcWNvKwMQ

I guess Gearbox heard Duke was gonna buy a Switch?

Dukefrukem
08-31-2019, 11:35 PM
Oh shiiiiit.
Would have bought a shift today, but instead I bought a $600 stroller.

amberlita
09-01-2019, 05:00 PM
My Red Dead Depression has led me to a Red Dead Dilemma.

I can't decide if I should keep running around exploring details now that the game has ended, or restart the game.

On the one hand, I'm enjoying seeing some of the repercussions of my playthrough, even the tiniest moments that I thought were just to gain or lose honor points. Like I went back to Saint Denis for a bounty and, completely by accident, wound up in front of a plaque for Quincy Harris Memorial Hall:

It thanks Arthur Morgan as one of the donors. I whiplashed from giddy delight at this discovery to very nearly starting to cry. This game has just emotionally wrecked me. Am I just being a girl about this?

The game's attention to detail is staggering. But these little things are all I have left. I ran around Austin to uncover the full map. Found a couple more legendary pelts. Visited some graves. Hunted some bounties.

I really like John, but I miss playing as Arthur.

There is no way I'll reach 100% completion and I don't even want to try, because some of that shit is really boring (e.g., dinosaur bones). I really want to start a new playthrough, but am a little daunted at starting such a mammoth game again. So I can't decide what to do.

Seriously, how did this game only cost me $60? Months and hundreds of hours of play for half the price I spend getting a 1 hour massage, which I can continue to milk for unique experiences even after it's over. Video games are fucking cheap.

Anyway, I'm sure this is just my addictive tendencies. When I love something, I like to OD on it. Plus the fact that I never play video games anymore makes me want to savor the fact that I am in a rare position of having loved and finished one that I only want more of (a thing that hasn't happened since I played MGS4).

Did anyone else finish tRDR2 and/or restart another playthrough? Curious your experience.

amberlita
09-01-2019, 06:17 PM
Another amazing detail:

John keeps logging in Arthur's journal but he is not nearly as good a drawer, or as verbose a writer.

I just want to keep a list of all the times this game bumps the lamp.

megladon8
09-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Such a horrible story from start to finish...just a few days back, Alec Holowka (an indie game developer, credits include Night in the Woods)was recently accused of sexual harassment and abuse. The company he was working for at the time cut ties with him immediately, and cancelled the game he was working on.

Looks like he committed suicide yesterday. In a series of tweets by his sister (who also works in the industry), she said he “felt he had lost too much”.

Terrible ending to an already awful story.

Morris Schæffer
09-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Did anyone else finish tRDR2 and/or restart another playthrough? Curious your experience.

Oh no. No bloody way. And I say that with a lot of respect and admiration for what Rockstar achieved. Game is way too slow, and like you say sometimes boring in its side quests to even ponder another playthrough although there was a twinge of sadness saying goodbye to it when it ended. I have a lot of other games lying around so replaying RDR2 is something I admittedly don't have the time for.

I'm playing Far Cry 5 now. Similarly open and sprawling like RDR2, and unquestionably inferior in terms of story and characters, but far more of a game. It feels more freeform, more liberating, better in terms of the core gameplay mechanics.

Ezee E
09-01-2019, 09:03 PM
No idea how people put in the time for the dinosaur bones. There's an infinite more interesting things to do.

Irish
09-02-2019, 01:52 AM
Such a horrible story from start to finish...just a few days back, Alec Holowka (an indie game developer, credits include Night in the Woods)was recently accused of sexual harassment and abuse. The company he was working for at the time cut ties with him immediately, and cancelled the game he was working on.

Looks like he committed suicide yesterday. In a series of tweets by his sister (who also works in the industry), she said he “felt he had lost too much”.

Terrible ending to an already awful story.

Way fucked up. I was legit shocked when I heard the news.

Little scary how quickly the conversation online (reddit etc) got nasty.

Irish
09-02-2019, 04:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8As7uwjHiKM

^ Review of DUSK. I am even more hyped to play this now. Sounds like it nails the full 90s FPS experience. (And the f'ing thing was developed by 1 dude!)

Scar
09-02-2019, 12:04 PM
No idea how people put in the time for the dinosaur bones. There's an infinite more interesting things to do.

I wiki’ed it and did it. The payoff wasn’t worth it.

I did start a second play through, got Arthur his alligator vest, now I’m not sure if I want to keep play it after his diagnosis. I might go back to my completed game to wander around, though.

Ezee E
09-02-2019, 02:54 PM

I did start a second play through, got Arthur his alligator vest, now I’m not sure if I want to keep play it after his diagnosis. I might go back to my completed game to wander around, though.

Some of those big scavenger hunts made me wish it opened some type of subplot for the amount of work one puts into it.

Holding on to the disc just in a rare hope that there's some single player DLC that'll be created, but sure doesn't look like that'll happen unfortunately.

bac0n
09-02-2019, 05:26 PM
My daughter has been monopolizing the ps4 over the summer, so very little RDR2 for me, but I’m hoping to get back into it now that school is back in session. Maybe I’ll even complete my 1st playthru one of these months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milky Joe
09-02-2019, 09:14 PM

^ Review of DUSK. I am even more hyped to play this now. Sounds like it nails the full 90s FPS experience. (And the f'ing thing was developed by 1 dude!)

Also check out Ion Fury for more retro FPS action

Irish
09-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Also check out Ion Fury for more retro FPS action

Holy shit! Thanks for the rec!

Wryan
09-03-2019, 12:48 AM

First I've seen of his channel, but this guy is an exceptional reviewer.

Irish
09-03-2019, 12:59 AM
First I've seen of his channel, but this guy is an exceptional reviewer.

Yeah, I dig him too. He does a very good job of describing exactly what playing the game is like.

Unfortunately, he doesn't update very often. I only found his channel by chance when searching for videos on Marathon, an old Mac-only shooter.

Milky Joe
09-03-2019, 01:43 AM
Marathon rules. Made being a Mac kid worth it back in the mid 90s.

amberlita
09-04-2019, 01:22 AM

I started a second play through. Decided on a few ground rules:

- Find and tame the white Arabian in the wild (done; endless comments from NPCs on how beautiful she is)
- Antagonize Uncle every time I can
- Never do anything for Strauss
- Leave Micah in jail (seriously, fuck that guy)
- Stay in Chaptee 2 forever
- Exclusively play while wearing my cowgirl hat

It’s going well.

Scar
09-04-2019, 01:30 AM
I don't know if we need RDR1 / RDR2 spoiler tags at this point, but....

I really do love how Rockstar Games kind of gave the fans the finger for their reactions to John Marston's death in RDR1 by making a better character in Arthur, and then having you play John after Arthur's death.

Ezee E
09-04-2019, 03:13 AM
Never found that horse.

Irish
09-04-2019, 11:33 PM

WOOT

Irish
09-05-2019, 12:58 AM
Holy shit there were a ton of Switch announcements today. Still trying to catch up.

Overwatch, Super Kirby Clash, Return of the Obra Dinn, Divinity Original Sin II, Jedi Knight II, 20+ SNES games on Nintendo Online. WTFFFFFFFFFFF.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/czrfbn/nintendo_direct_942019/

Milky Joe
09-05-2019, 01:02 AM
Maybe my most hyped Switch announcement which wasn't even in the Direct:

Scar
09-05-2019, 01:29 AM
Finished the RDR2 legendary fishing challenge today. The ending was worth it.

Stay Puft
09-05-2019, 02:04 AM
Deadly Premonition 2 is going to get me to buy a Switch.

Ezee E
09-05-2019, 04:53 AM
Finished the RDR2 legendary fishing challenge today. The ending was worth it.

hahaha. That's for sure.

Irish
09-06-2019, 01:41 AM
Started playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Digging it so far, despite wonky controls and awkward interfaces. But I've run into the same problem I run into in every open world / sandbox RPG: If there's hunting, fishing, or crafting involved, then I fuck off and do those, max them out, fill my inventory with useless stuff, rather than pay attention to the main plot or any of the sidequests.

I'm pretty much the GTA player who never finished any one of the those games because he spent all his time stealing different cars ("Hey, I've never driven a garbage truck before! Lemme try that!") and listening to the radio.

Last night I legit spent over an hour running around the German countryside in KCD picking flowers so I could max Herbalism, and later Alchemy. Right now I'm figuring out where I can find, buy, or steal a bow so I can hunt game. There's like rabbits, boars, and deer all around these HUGE European forests and I'm just supposed to ignore them because some usurper is on the throne and I'm duty bound to return a sword to some high lord??? Pfffft.

Howlongtobeat.com says this is like a ~50 hour game but I'm pretty sure I'll put 300+ into it and never see the ending.

Dukefrukem
09-09-2019, 04:42 PM
RE/L4D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlx6zWE5kIA

Irish
09-10-2019, 03:28 PM
I bought the Kingdom Come DLC because it includes a dog companion.

His name is Mutt. You can feed him treats and tell him he's a good boy. He'll also hunt rabbits and attack enemies for you.

This is Mutt:

https://i.imgur.com/v8BYAhT.jpg?1

:D

Idioteque Stalker
09-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Kingdom Come has always stuck out to me as maybe, just maybe, a game I would love. But I think I just want a super-hardcore (maybe even rougelike) game that lives in a similar universe. And with the huge time commitment of Kingdom Come... in the end its probably not the game I want.

Irish
09-11-2019, 06:52 PM
JFC. Gears 5 and Borderlands 3 in the same week.

(Might play G5 because it's on GamePass, waiting on B3 because of the weird, sketchy shit around it. And I'm still in the middle of Kingdom Come.)

Kingdom Come has always stuck out to me as maybe, just maybe, a game I would love. But I think I just want a super-hardcore (maybe even rougelike) game that lives in a similar universe. And with the huge time commitment of Kingdom Come... in the end its probably not the game I want.

It might be one of the best RPGs I've played. It's definitely one of the most ambitious. They tried mechanics that buck convention and while they function in-game just fine, they don't always translate into good gameplay or pure fun. But I like that they tried different shit. There's stuff in the game that's almost experimental for a wide release title.

Anyway, dunno if you were looking for response or recommendation but I'll throw in: I'd absolutely get it if you (1) are a superfan of roleplaying games and (2) want a different experience from the usual, aka Witcher and Skyrim and (3) can find it on sale for $25 or less (just to hedge your bet a little more).

Irish
09-11-2019, 06:55 PM
This reminds me, too, that I almost wanna build a basic Windows box so I can emulate old titles and play some of the weird shit on https://itch.io/

I think that'd be fun. I kinda roll my eyes at experimental stuff in other mediums (film, novels, etc) but I love it in the digital realm.

amberlita
09-14-2019, 08:16 PM
I don't know if we need RDR1 / RDR2 spoiler tags at this point, but....

I really do love how Rockstar Games kind of gave the fans the finger for their reactions to John Marston's death in RDR1 by making a better character in Arthur, and then having you play John after Arthur's death.

This is a really good point. It’s also fun how much people were bitching that Arthur seemed mean in the trailers and they were afraid they wouldn’t like playing him as much as Marston. :) Moreover, they made Marston a less likable character at the beginning of RDR2, and he grows more as a man over the course of RDR2 than he did in RDR1. He not only owes his life to Arthur, his redemption arc - which pales in hindsight to Arthur’s - is only possible because of Arthur. It’s really remarkable that Rockstar pulled that off, especially given how beloved Marston was (is).

The game has thwarted my attempts at maintaining ground rules for this second play through. They froze access to the ledger until I did that fateful deed for Strauss. I realized freeing Micah was the only way I could get the dual wielding holster. And Dutch has taken to complaining about how lazy I am for hanging around camp so much (“You used to be useful Arthur!”), even if I’ve just walked in to said camp with 3 animal carcasses to feed the gang! Asshole. Alas, proceeding with story missions was inevitable. On the bright side, the compliments levied at my Arabian show no signs of slowing and she handles like a breeze. In some ways I find her easier to handle than I do Arthur when he’s running. I never paid attention to the horse handling on my last play through but man it would’ve been easier if I’d tracked this horse down long ago.

megladon8
09-14-2019, 09:11 PM
I actually really like Dead Island.

Dukefrukem
09-23-2019, 01:28 PM

Irish
09-25-2019, 03:24 AM
Hey Joe, what would you recommend for someone with limited Mario experience outside Odyssey?

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe or Super Mario Maker 2?

Milky Joe
09-25-2019, 04:26 AM
If you've never played ANY Mario games outside Odyssey? I would say go for the classics: Super Mario World and SMB3. If you have a Nintendo Online sub (only $20 for a year), you can play both for free via the NES and SNES online channels. They're two of the best videogames ever made.

But between those two you mentioned, I'd go with Maker. There's an infinite amount of content there in a variety of styles/physics. I'm not the hugest fan of the New Super Mario physics, but NNSMBU Deluxe is definitely the best of that series. So it's good but not the best.

Idioteque Stalker
09-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Last of Us Part 2 preordered. No doubt in my mind it will be amazing. But I have to say, no multiplayer is super disappointing. Not because of value or anything—I just loved factions mode so much in the last game.

Ezee E
09-26-2019, 10:13 PM
That multiplayer was among the best I've ever played. That is a bummer but so good to see that the game is here.

Scar
09-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Starting to think RDR2 and XCOM2 have ‘ruined’ video games for me. Very hard to find something else to play.

EDIT: And the Souls series, obviously.

megladon8
10-01-2019, 10:20 PM
I’m having a hard time remembering the title of a game from my adolescence, and any help would be appreciated.

It was on PC, first person, a fantasy action/RPG.

Would have come out in the mid-to-late 90s (early 2000s is possible but very unlikely...would say 2000 at the very very latest).

I remember that it had really lukewarm-to-bad reviews, but I enjoyed it.

I could swear the title started with “Lords...”, and I think it was the 2nd or 3rd game in a series.

The box art had a monster with its mouth open, sort of lunging forward. Predominantly oranges/reds/pinks in the artwork.

Hope this helps. I’m dying to remember what it was.

Irish
10-01-2019, 10:25 PM
First person? Third person? Isometric? Single character or group?

Have you checked out the TSR Forgotten Realms stuff from that era? Might be something in there.

ETA: Wasn't Lords of Chaos was it? https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2013/12/game-128-lords-of-chaos-1990.html

megladon8
10-01-2019, 10:35 PM
If you read my post you’d see I said first person, Irish.

God.

Irish
10-01-2019, 10:44 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WcIbIXb.jpg?1

This meets almost all your boxart criteria :D

Irish
10-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Also lotsa interesting stuff in this thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/can-we-talk-about-old-school-first-person-dungeon-crawlers.469298/

(I kinda wanna play Lands of Lore now.)

megladon8
10-01-2019, 10:56 PM
You found it!!

Lands of Lore III!

Thank you so very kindly!

Irish
10-01-2019, 10:59 PM
LOL wtf are you serious? Holy shit that's cool! :D

ETA: GOG has the first 2 games for $6. I might get this just to play the first one.

https://www.gog.com/game/lands_of_lore_1_2

megladon8
10-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Yep that was it.

Seriously, thank you. Been driving me nuts.

I can’t give you any more rep, so...respek knuckles.

Irish
10-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Hey no problem. Glad I helped.

*fistbump*

Dukefrukem
10-02-2019, 01:47 AM
I miss video games.

Irish
10-02-2019, 02:28 AM
I'd sympathize but I'm too busy playing the Switch port of Doom '93 right now.

Ezee E
10-02-2019, 03:28 AM
So glad Last of Us 2 finally got a release. Outside of playing some sports games, I haven't played a story-based game since RDR2 around Easter time.

Skitch
10-02-2019, 11:37 PM
Picked up some games for a couple bucks each, all PS3: Thief, Dishonored, Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, Alien: Isolation. Anyone played any of these? Thoughts? Where to begin...

Scar
10-02-2019, 11:57 PM
I hear great things about Alien Isolation. I have it on the PS4, but need to be in the perfect frame of mind for a stealth / hide yo ass kind of game. IE, I never got into Last of Us.

Idioteque Stalker
10-03-2019, 01:26 AM
I really liked Dishonored. The abilities are a lot of fun, and there are incentives to do things in creative ways. The sequel is also really good.

Skitch
10-03-2019, 02:12 AM
I hear great things about Alien Isolation. I have it on the PS4, but need to be in the perfect frame of mind for a stealth / hide yo ass kind of game. IE, I never got into Last of Us.

I tried but my copy of Last of Us just crashes.

Skitch
10-03-2019, 02:13 AM
Thanks for thoughts!

Morris Schæffer
10-03-2019, 10:48 AM
TLoU 2 has pulse-pounding tech

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/1/20887764/last-of-us-part-2-heartbeat-technology-naughty-dog-interview

megladon8
10-03-2019, 01:19 PM
I really enjoyed Alien: Isolation, but I probably looked at it through rose coloured glasses because I’m a sucker for Alien, and its reverence towards the original movie won me over.

It goes on a little long, and at times it feels a little cheap (as in, like the game cheats against you).

But it has some awesome set pieces, it looks great, is creepy and tense as hell, and its in-canon story is really neat.

Dukefrukem
10-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Love Alien Isolation. Truly scary.

Dukefrukem
10-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Oh here's something nice that doesn't matter for me.

Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to PC on November 5th

Dukefrukem
10-04-2019, 05:27 PM
Oh here's something nice that doesn't matter for me.

Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to PC on November 5th

Also a Google Stadia launch title

Irish
10-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Dishonored 2 just hit GamePass. Do I need to have played the original?

Dukefrukem
10-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Dishonored 2 just hit GamePass. Do I need to have played the original?

No but its excellent in every regard.

Skitch
10-05-2019, 12:52 PM
No but its excellent in every regard.

Glad I bought it!

Irish
10-07-2019, 06:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z35Exu4TP28

^ Out this week for PC and Mac.

Surprised they didn't go with a standard FPS, but I guess that woulda been too obvious?

megladon8
10-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Maybe something is lost in the translation from gameplay to trailer, but nothing about that looks fun or exciting to play.

Irish
10-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Playstation 5 to be released late 2020. SSD, UI improvements, haptic feedback, etc etc.

Most everything you've already heard but now it's official: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

Dukefrukem
10-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Might be the first Sony console I dont buy at launch since the PS1.

The one nice thing... Every PS4 game is confirmed to be backwards compatible.

Skitch
10-08-2019, 03:42 PM
I adore you meeting parenthood :D:D:D.

I'm just teasing. It's a bitch tho init?

Wait till school. Then teenagering

Dukefrukem
10-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Definitely a jarring change.

Morris Schæffer
10-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Doom Eternal goes to March 2020.

Ezee E
10-08-2019, 08:36 PM
There will be enough PS4 games to last me at least another year before I'll hop on the new one I figure. Heck, unsure what I'll want to play after Last of Us 2 anyway.

Skitch
10-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Definitely a jarring change.

My unsolicited advice...and I know this may be impossible for a tech guy like you...adapt to being a gen behind. All the games still exist. You can pick up everything for nickels. The only sacrifice is online play, and really, who gives a fuck who was the god of some game two years ago? The internet is over it 37 seconds after whatever new online game comes out. I just bought four games for PS3 for two bucks a piece, and one of them you called a masterpiece (Dishonored).

The race to beat the newest game is stupidity.

Dukefrukem
10-08-2019, 09:06 PM
My unsolicited advice...and I know this may be impossible for a tech guy like you...adapt to being a gen behind. All the games still exist. You can pick up everything for nickels. The only sacrifice is online play, and really, who gives a fuck who was the god of some game two years ago? The internet is over it 37 seconds after whatever new online game comes out. I just bought four games for PS3 for two bucks a piece, and one of them you called a masterpiece (Dishonored).

The race to beat the newest game is stupidity.

The biggest challenge of my life begins...

Skitch
10-08-2019, 11:56 PM
The biggest challenge of my life begins...

Only the first year is tough. After that its a breeze.

For context, when the Panasonic 3DO price was slashed in half, I dived. Spent a whole summer working my ass off to pay back my dad that 425$. But for one summer I was the cutting edge with my friends. Six months later they went bankrupt and Gamestop offered me 25$ for the system. Fuck them all. Buy late, keep everything, online play is for losers. Still have every system I ever bought.

I'll never buy brand new upfront again.

Dukefrukem
10-09-2019, 02:09 AM
online play is for losers.

The only thing I can't endorse.

Irish
10-09-2019, 03:02 AM

Hey man I'll give you $2 for that signed Roddy McDowell "Fright Night" LaserDisc :D

Skitch
10-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Hey man I'll give you $2 for that signed Roddy McDowell "Fright Night" LaserDisc :D

I get it, but imagine what it wouldve cost in 1996...it would've been 100$ for disc without the sig...

Skitch
10-09-2019, 08:37 AM
The only thing I can't endorse.

:p drinking, insomnia, kids, dogs...my comment was too harsh. Nothing against the online crowd. I'm just too busy. And I'll take the one player campaign over the online every time.

Note: I did not say multiplayer. Gimme the multiplayer in room all day. I dont play with people that cant get punched for talking shit. Been a part of some epic LANs.

Milky Joe
10-09-2019, 11:51 PM
this looks beautiful

https://youtu.be/2cxjIgqWEb8

Scar
10-10-2019, 12:16 AM
Color me intrigued. Need something XCOM’esque in my life.

Dukefrukem
10-10-2019, 01:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z35Exu4TP28

^ Out this week for PC and Mac.

Surprised they didn't go with a standard FPS, but I guess that woulda been too obvious?

Looks glorious.

Milky Joe
10-10-2019, 02:26 AM
Like Tim says in that video, a tactics action game makes more sense than a FPS or something similar given John Wick's relentlessly methodical murder skills.

Irish
10-10-2019, 02:41 AM
In one sense, yeah, it does but in another, it doesn't at all. The appeal of the John Wick movies are physical, not intellectual, and it's the same with FPS games.

megladon8
10-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Started Uncharted again (if my save times are accurate, it’s been about 3 years since I last played them).

My goal was to get platinum on the first, as the trophy list looks pretty doable. I’m checking off the weapon and combat based ones pretty quickly and easily.

But I don’t know that I’m going to be able to beat it on Crushing. Shit is hard.

Dukefrukem
10-10-2019, 06:33 PM
I have the first three Uncharted Platinumed. Love that series to the bone.

megladon8
10-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Don’t 2 and 3 have multiplayer components that require trophies to platinum?

Dukefrukem
10-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Don’t 2 and 3 have multiplayer components that require trophies to platinum?

They do. Unsure if those multiplayer servers are still up.

Dukefrukem
10-16-2019, 03:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYjQZ2k2Hu0

Morris Schæffer
10-24-2019, 05:21 PM
The last of us 2...has been moved to May now.

Dukefrukem
10-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Is it official? I heard there were rumors.

megladon8
10-24-2019, 05:53 PM
Ordered Pillars of Eternity and The Sinking City.

Ezee E
10-24-2019, 10:53 PM
The last of us 2...has been moved to May now.

Source?

Wondering if they're working on the Multiplayer that was cried upon.

Which btw, is one of my favorite multiplayers ever.

Dukefrukem
10-24-2019, 11:12 PM

megladon8
10-27-2019, 09:41 PM
The Sinking City is one seriously unpolished experience.

Looooong load times, bad framerate, terrible texture pop in, a couple of times where the loading from area to are had me thinking the game had crashed.

But hot damn is it fun to play, and I am loving how it doesn’t hold your hand with the investigating.

Irish
10-28-2019, 12:47 AM
Anybody playing OUTER WORLDS, the new Fallout / New Vegas unofficial sequel from Obsidian?

Scar
10-28-2019, 12:49 AM
Gran Turismo skills do not necessarily translate to SNES Classic Mario Kart.

Dukefrukem
10-28-2019, 01:22 AM
Anybody playing OUTER WORLDS, the new Fallout / New Vegas unofficial sequel from Obsidian?

Waiting for steam circa Sept 2020.

Ezee E
10-28-2019, 03:10 AM

Didn't even know of its existence. Interesting.

megladon8
10-28-2019, 11:24 AM

I’m dying to.

It’s just strangely absent from Amazon.ca

Dukefrukem
10-28-2019, 12:37 PM
I’m dying to.

It’s just strangely absent from Amazon.ca

https://www.epicgames.com ?

megladon8
10-28-2019, 01:06 PM
I’m console.

And I can’t download games because of my crappy internet. Would take a month.

But thanks!

bac0n
10-28-2019, 01:35 PM

I'm jonesing to play it too. Will probably be the next game I play after RDR2. All the reviews had to do to sell me was to say it was like Firefly: The Game.

Irish
10-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Well shit I played it over the weekend and was gonna crow again about GamePass but now I feel bad nobody else is playing

Dukefrukem
10-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Too busy playing Breakpoint.

Also

Idioteque Stalker
10-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Obviously wider availability is good news for gamers in general. But I’m annoyed at myself for wanting Death Stranding to stay a Sony exclusive.

megladon8
10-28-2019, 08:07 PM
With Death Stranding I just...don’t care.

Like, at all.

Nothing about it looks appealing to me. From concept to gameplay to visuals. It’s just...obviously made for not me.

Dukefrukem
10-28-2019, 08:10 PM
Obviously wider availability is good news for gamers in general. But I’m annoyed at myself for wanting Death Stranding to stay a Sony exclusive.

It's going to be a big decision for me whether I get this or Red Dead 2. I've got a very long Christmas break coming up...

Skitch
10-28-2019, 08:32 PM
WHY DON'T I HAVE MORE ONIMUSHA GAMES??

Dukefrukem
10-29-2019, 04:55 PM
Didn't think I'd see the day.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/29/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-ea-access-games-steam/

Morris Schæffer
11-01-2019, 12:38 PM
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/death-stranding?ref=hp

Well, Death Stranding is certainly not a bad game. Reviews are very strong.

Idioteque Stalker
11-01-2019, 03:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHUY-nVXKU

Amazing, hour-long review thing.

Idioteque Stalker
11-01-2019, 03:40 PM
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/death-stranding?ref=hp

Well, Death Stranding is certainly not a bad game. Reviews are very strong.

It should be noted that not everyone is in agreement. Seems to me Death Stranding is more divisive than your average well-reviewed-across-the-board game.

Irish
11-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Open Critic: https://opencritic.com/game/7816/death-stranding

"Mighty," with an 86 total score and 83% recommending.

It should be noted that not everyone is in agreement. Seems to me Death Stranding is more divisive than your average well-reviewed-across-the-board game.

This is a good point but tbh these days I'm a little suspicious of media that receives universal praise.

(Mostly because a recent game I found deeply fucking boring got cheers and acclaim from nearly everyone.)

(otoh I should really know better than to trust youtuber critics)

megladon8
11-01-2019, 05:28 PM
What I’ve been reading has been very mixed.

An entire game of fetch quests with tedious traversal doesn’t sound appealing.

Dukefrukem
11-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Ummmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bRWIdOMfro

Milky Joe
11-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Tim Rogers' review is the only one that matters.

Irish
11-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Wonder how quickly Reddit's sense of moral outrage faded once they saw a 9 minute Diablo trailer.

Dukefrukem
11-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Wonder how quickly Reddit's sense of moral outrage faded once they saw a 9 minute Diablo trailer.

Are you referring to the last time Blizzard announced something?

That trailer was superb.

Irish
11-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Are you referring to the last time Blizzard announced something?

To Blizzard's terrible handling of the Blitzchung "Free Hong Kong" event.

The gameplay trailer looked great but it's disheartening how many fans are on board as soon as they see a flashy trailer.

Dukefrukem
11-01-2019, 07:33 PM
To Blizzard's terrible handling of the Blitzchung "Free Hong Kong" event.

The gameplay trailer looked great but it's disheartening how many fans are on board as soon as they see a flashy trailer.

Ah gotcha. Yeh agreed there.

As for the trailer, I think Diablo is a franchise you can get excited for any release (as long as it's not on phones).

megladon8
11-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Thank the lord they went back to the darker tone and look.

Don’t get me wrong, I had a heckuva lot of fun with 3. But it felt more like Harry Potter than Diablo.

Wryan
11-01-2019, 08:06 PM
I'm unsure if I'll buy D4, even tho I'm a massive Diablo fanboy and that cinematic was unbelievably good. Just outrageously gorgeous.

I hope Blizzard does more to apologize and make amends for their shitty reaction to The Situation.

Incredible art: https://imgur.com/a/0AAwXRA

They remain one of the best in the business when it comes to art design and cinematics.

Skitch
11-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Hell yeah that Diablo cinematic looks sweet. I'd watch an animated movie of that.

Idioteque Stalker
11-01-2019, 10:47 PM
This is a good point but tbh these days I'm a little suspicious of media that receives universal praise.

(Mostly because a recent game I found deeply fucking boring got cheers and acclaim from nearly everyone.)

Totally agree. My point, in its own way, is a defense of the game.

Btw, what game are you referring to here? I'm curious. The only game I've played all year (The Long Dark) has been around for a long time with middling reception, and I totally get why.

Scar
11-01-2019, 11:16 PM
And here I was wondering what my next massive time suck game would be.

Irish
11-02-2019, 03:55 AM
Btw, what game are you referring to here? I'm curious.

Outer Worlds.

There isn't anything wrong with the game. It's competently made, there are no bugs afaik, the controls are smooth, the interface intuitive ... but playing it is like stepping back into the mid-2000s. The story and the quests are uninspired and everything from the loot to the characters to the mechanics feels lifted from old-style RPGs.

So my reaction was, well, it's fine and all but I've already played this game multiple times and that was 10 or 15 years ago.

Wryan
11-04-2019, 09:21 PM
if anyone wants, an upscale (machine learning) 8k version of the D4 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQl3DY2RLwc&feature=youtu.be

And an uncompressed 2gb version: https://mega.nz/#!oQkg3YrR!c7BqMD8pEkegrZZ0cz7 lW8fq2yTeMlDGYxHfFA4ypf8

I downloaded the second and played it in VLC. Looked pretty incredible.

Irish
11-08-2019, 08:52 PM
please tell me one of you ps4 goons will be playing death stranding this weekend ... i must know what it's like for real!!!

Dukefrukem
11-08-2019, 08:55 PM
please tell me one of you ps4 goons will be playing death stranding this weekend ... i must know what it's like for real!!!

Getting it on the 20th

Irish
11-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Both Hotline Miami games for $12.50

Worth it?

Dukefrukem
11-11-2019, 04:57 PM
I played the fucking shit out of Hotline Miami. So fun. Excellent soundtrack. I bought the sequel and never played it. :-/

Irish
11-11-2019, 04:58 PM
On pc or console?

Dukefrukem
11-11-2019, 04:59 PM
PC (Steam)

Milky Joe
11-11-2019, 08:28 PM

I'm playing it. It's good. Watch Tim Rogers' review on Kotaku if you want an idea of what it IS.

megladon8
11-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Anyone getting Jedi: Fallen Order?

D_Davis is enjoying the hell out of it. Describes it as Tomb Raider meets Dark Souls.

Scar
11-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Eh, maybe some day. Was half drunk on the couch last night, and YouTube decided to show me the last twenty minutes of the game.

Scar
11-17-2019, 08:46 PM
God of War is 20 bucks on the PSN if anyone hasn’t played it yet, like me.

bac0n
11-18-2019, 01:29 AM
Dad of War is easily the best of the series. I can bring my copy over if you want, Scar.

megladon8
11-18-2019, 10:00 AM
I’ve never before seen a game plagued so badly by online spoilers as Jedi: Fallen Order.

Morris Schæffer
11-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Half-Life rumblings:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T7Dke__WLzyTzDg1omSrSzy5alzbU hsC8kZZ8anAhqk/preview

Next game is VR and called Half-Life: Alyx

Likely not a true sequel though.

Dukefrukem
11-18-2019, 12:24 PM
I'm still staying far away from VR.

Morris Schæffer
11-18-2019, 03:34 PM
I'm still staying far away from VR.

Sounds like you're proud of that. When Half-Life 3 VR comes out, and it's another milestone, resistance will be futile buddy. :)

Ezee E
11-18-2019, 05:19 PM
I haven't really heard of a must play VR game. They all look so buggy at this point.

The only things that have worked in VR from my perspective is more of the 360 worlds that you can interact win playing out in real-time.

Dukefrukem
11-18-2019, 05:35 PM
I haven't really heard of a must play VR game. They all look so buggy at this point.

The only things that have worked in VR from my perspective is more of the 360 worlds that you can interact win playing out in real-time.

The Rick and Morty game I played was super fun. But definitely not a killer app.

Lazlo
11-18-2019, 06:42 PM

SuperHot in VR is the let-me-be-in-The-Matrix game I've always wanted. So fun.

megladon8
11-18-2019, 06:56 PM
Astro Bot Rescue Mission is an absolute must play.

The best platformer since Mario 64.

Freaking masterpiece of game design.

Milky Joe
11-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Heck yeah brother. I felt the exact same way - I haven't felt that JOY of a toy feeling since Mario 64. I cannot wait for the sequel (which I assume is in the works).

Superhot is another must play. VR is awesome.

megladon8
11-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Yeah, JOY is the best way to describe it.

It’s pure, unfiltered fun from minute one right to the end.

Graphics are technically impressive and the art design is wonderful. Pitch perfect controls.

Just an amazing experience, and the first thing I show anyone who wants to see VR.

Morris Schæffer
11-18-2019, 09:31 PM
Lone Echo is supposed to be top notch.

Scar
11-18-2019, 11:14 PM
Dad of War is easily the best of the series. I can bring my copy over if you want, Scar.

Thanks. I think the Greatest Hits (including Dad of War) are going to be 10 bucks around Black Friday on PSN. Might finally break down and buy Monster Hunter.

megladon8
11-18-2019, 11:40 PM
Thanks. I think the Greatest Hits (including Dad of War) are going to be 10 bucks around Black Friday on PSN. Might finally break down and buy Monster Hunter.

Share what you think of it if you do!

Morris Schæffer
11-19-2019, 10:40 AM
Half-Life rumblings:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T7Dke__WLzyTzDg1omSrSzy5alzbU hsC8kZZ8anAhqk/preview

Next game is VR and called Half-Life: Alyx

Likely not a true sequel though.

WOW WOW WOW, Half-Life: Alyx has been officially announced by Valve.

Will be unveiled Thursday!!

megladon8
11-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Jedi: Fallen Order is neat.

A little surprised by the lacklustre visuals and tech (holy moly the game is buggy and visually glitchy). Expected much more from such a hotly anticipated AAA title.

That being said, if the story is as strong throughout as its first few hours, it might be the best Star Wars story we’ve seen since the OT.

I’ve said for many years that Dark Souls style combat would work beautifully in the Star Wars universe, and it does. But it’s dumbed down just a little too much.

In fact, everything is dumbed down. The Souls style combat and death cycle, the Metroid-style exploration with areas you can’t access until you have certain abilities, the Uncharted-style traversal and puzzle solving. Your hand is held tightly through all of it.

Dukefrukem
11-21-2019, 03:55 PM
I'm off work until the 2nd... so my wife is letting my buy Death Stranding. :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Morris Schæffer
11-21-2019, 05:05 PM
Saw the half life alyx VR reveal. I want to jump back into that universe.

Morris Schæffer
11-21-2019, 05:06 PM
https://youtu.be/O2W0N3uKXmo

Dukefrukem
11-21-2019, 05:29 PM
Saw the half life alyx VR reveal. I want to jump back into that universe.

Sure looks good. I'm not sure I like the idea of a prequel though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2W0N3uKXmo

megladon8
11-21-2019, 05:32 PM
I'm off work until the 2nd... so my wife is letting my buy Death Stranding. :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Are you okay?

Dukefrukem
11-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Are you okay?

I am if okay is excited.

megladon8
11-21-2019, 09:46 PM
I am if okay is excited.

No I mean, because you said you’re off work. Are you all right?

Scar
11-21-2019, 10:17 PM
No I mean, because you said you’re off work. Are you all right?

Paternity leave and / or Turkey vacation.

Dukefrukem
11-22-2019, 04:03 AM

This.

Morris Schæffer
11-22-2019, 11:17 AM
Sure looks good. I'm not sure I like the idea of a prequel though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2W0N3uKXmo

I can't let this go. A new Half-Life game in little under 6 months and I can't play it. :(

And I'm willing to bet it's gonna be stupendous. It's also confirmed length of the game is close to Half-Life 2.

If it was just the headset I'd probably plonk down the cash, but my PC needs upgrading also.
Damn.

bac0n
11-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Haha, I have fond memories of playing Street Fighter 4 online with my youngest (now 11) strapped to my chest in a baby bjorn. I wonder what the guys kicking my ass would have thought would they have known they were whupping a 30something under-slept Dad rocking back and forth with a baby and singing gotosleep songs.

Idioteque Stalker
11-22-2019, 03:32 PM

I’ll start playing now too.

Dukefrukem
11-22-2019, 07:15 PM
I’ll start playing now too.

How do you like it so far?

Milky Joe
11-22-2019, 10:48 PM
It's not a game I would picture you liking Duke, but I could easily be wrong

Idioteque Stalker
11-23-2019, 11:16 PM
How do you like it so far?

I'm a little bit into episode 2. Three hours in, it kind of feels like I'm about to take my first real mission. But I hear it doesn't REALLY open up until ten hours in/episode 3. So we'll see about that.

I feel like I've done very little gameplay so far, so jury's out on "fun factor," but the presentation is outstanding. It's a unique sci-fi world, and richly detailed. Gotta give Kojima Productions props for setting out and doing their own thing. BB is the best character so far--the flashbacks are really potent. Running to and from places isn't very fun yet, but that's probably cuz I'm still essentially in the tutorial.

Dukefrukem
11-24-2019, 12:58 PM
I'm a little bit into episode 2. Three hours in, it kind of feels like I'm about to take my first real mission. But I hear it doesn't REALLY open up until ten hours in/episode 3. So we'll see about that.

I feel like I've done very little gameplay so far, so jury's out on "fun factor," but the presentation is outstanding. It's a unique sci-fi world, and richly detailed. Gotta give Kojima Productions props for setting out and doing their own thing. BB is the best character so far--the flashbacks are really potent. Running to and from places isn't very fun yet, but that's probably cuz I'm still essentially in the tutorial.

That sums up the game nicely. It's definitely a Kojima game; where he thought of a premise that makes very little sense in a practical world. It could just be a game about being a postal worker in 2019 who encounters ghosts on his route, but it has to be the most overly complicated nonsensical plot ever. I've played every single Kojima game (MGS and MGS4 being my all time favorite) and there is usually a sense of accomplishments between the gameplay and the overly long cinematic and dialog trees... but this game feels way more tedious in the ladder. You nailed the presentation aspect though; that opening gameplay segment with the music playing as you're running through the green open fields. That was beautiful. I just fixed up the bike, so my route's between bases will be quicker. But god damn it's still a game about delivering packages. lol.

I found my Vita yesterday and eventually hooked it up to remote play to my PS4... so I think I'll be able to play this a lot more than I originally thought.

BTW: Looking at your PSN handle, I had no idea you were such a huge gamer. Why don't you post more about stuff here?

Dukefrukem
11-24-2019, 03:34 PM
I just reached episode 3, right after you are thrown into the most convoluted, obscene boss battle ever convinced by man, and my game is hung on the loading scene. Time for a break I suppose.

Oh and protip, don't try and ride your bike through a BT area. Doesn't work.

megladon8
11-24-2019, 03:36 PM
This sounds like a terrible game.

Irish
11-24-2019, 03:37 PM
It does but I'm fascinated by it and I really want to play it.

I wish there were more games out there that took crazy gambles like this one seems to have.

Dukefrukem
11-24-2019, 04:05 PM
It does but I'm fascinated by it and I really want to play it.

I wish there were more games out there that took crazy gambles like this one seems to have.

My next post was going to be exactly this. This game is a metaphor to everyone in cinema saying we need more original ideas and less super hero films. In 2019, this game is equivalent to Under the Silver Lake.

Dukefrukem
11-24-2019, 04:14 PM
That sums up the game nicely. It's definitely a Kojima game; where he thought of a premise that makes very little sense in a practical world. It could just be a game about being a postal worker in 2019 who encounters ghosts on his route, but it has to be the most overly complicated nonsensical plot ever.

Like, I still find it fucking hilarous that after I travel what is equivalent to 1/10th the distance across the United States (it's only refereed to as "America" in the game, which is also hilarous), plop my delivery down on the conveyor belt as it gets processed through a bunch of elevators and hooks, a nifty little hologram boots up and tells me how valuable I am to rebuilding "America"... I look around these giant delivery facilities and realize there isn't another soul in these buildings. Everyone is communicating to me remote via hologram or codec (gee Kojima, still can't get past the codec from MGS eh?) . Like, we have the technology for holograms, for these BB devices, giant beautiful structures, weird ass vehicles, but can't figure out how to deliver supplies across the country unmanned? They do reference drones at one point but I forget the reason why they stopped using them.