PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

Dukefrukem
06-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Steam sale in 5 minutes.

Dukefrukem
06-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Steam sale in 5 minutes.

Nevermind it's tonight.

Dukefrukem
06-26-2017, 06:21 PM
September 29th With 21 Games

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--e545kFQ---/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_ 800/nshbogihu5udx2ljai6w.jpg

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi’s Island

TGM
06-26-2017, 06:45 PM
September 29th With 21 Games

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--e545kFQ---/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_ 800/nshbogihu5udx2ljai6w.jpg

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi’s Island

And we'll never get to own one!

Ezee E
06-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Reading comments about that SNES is great.

Dukefrukem
06-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Until Dawn is a PS4 PS+ game of July. Nice.

megladon8
06-28-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm having a lot of fun with Injustice 2.

Gave up on The Surge temporarily. Corrupted save file 10 hours in, didn't feel like going through it all again.

Scar
06-28-2017, 10:08 PM
Until Dawn is a PS4 PS+ game of July. Nice.

Glad I got it on sale, sold it a month later, and now can get it again for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ezee E
06-28-2017, 11:54 PM
Beat it. Won't play it a second time.

megladon8
06-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Late to the game on this but anyone else think that was one of the more disappointing E3's of recent memory?

I think the only thing that caught my eye was Wolfenstein 2.

Nintendo had a better conference than Sony and Microsoft combined.

Dukefrukem
06-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Yes. It was very safe across the board. Biggest things that stood out for me:

Metroid 4 (which I honestly am only hyped about because other people are hyped) and the quality of the new Spider-man game (with respect to the Arkham games)

Everything else was bleh, especially from EA and Ubisoft.

bac0n
06-29-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm right there with ya. The only game that got on my radar was the Spidey game, which looks super fun. Thanks again to Duke for the coverage.

Idioteque Stalker
06-29-2017, 03:11 PM
The Mario rabbids xcom knockoff looks awesome.

Dukefrukem
06-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Biggest disappointment for me was no Red Dead and no Last of Us 2.

megladon8
06-29-2017, 10:07 PM
I was hoping to see SOMETHING from From. That was disappointing to me.

Morris Schæffer
06-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Half life 3 no show was a letdown.

Ezee E
06-30-2017, 06:31 AM
Biggest disappointment for me was no Red Dead and no Last of Us 2.

They aren't coming out until next year, anyway. Right?

Dukefrukem
06-30-2017, 12:15 PM
They aren't coming out until next year, anyway. Right?

Red Dead is Jan or Feb yeh.
And Last of US 2 probably won't come out until 2019.

Ezee E
06-30-2017, 08:59 PM
Red Dead is Jan or Feb yeh.
And Last of US 2 probably won't come out until 2019.

2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morris Schæffer
07-01-2017, 03:36 PM
I decided it was time to give myself a present so I bought a 65 inch OLED LG UHD/HDR television. Super stoked, the PS4 Pro is also coming soon, the TV next friday.

Future games such as Red Dead Redemption 2 are sure to be even more mouthwatering.

:cool:

Dukefrukem
07-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Sick. What brand TV did you get?

Idioteque Stalker
07-01-2017, 08:47 PM
What did people get on the Steam Summer Sale?

Rust
Subnautica
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition
Victoria Collection
Kentucky Route Zero

All I've been playing recently are survival games and Paradox grand strategy games.

Morris Schæffer
07-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Sick. What brand TV did you get?

LG OLED 65E6V, one of the last remaining 3D TV's.

Expensive, but I've been saving up for the better part of the last 15 months.

megladon8
07-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Injustice 2's loot and progression system is ripped straight out of Destiny. Keeps me coming back.

Have also started Wipeout 2048 from the Omega Collection. The "zone challenges" are insane. Once I pass Mach 1 going so fast I don't even know who I am anymore.

Dead & Messed Up
07-03-2017, 12:07 AM
The Gamecube talk here got me nostalgic, so I ran to Game Dude and picked up Rogue Leader. This game is a lot tougher than I remember.

Morris Schæffer
07-03-2017, 11:02 AM
The Gamecube talk here got me nostalgic, so I ran to Game Dude and picked up Rogue Leader. This game is a lot tougher than I remember.

Cool that you still have a Gcube. I wish I still did.

If only Nintendo would add some bigger games to the eventual Virtual Console for Switch such as Mario Sushine etc..

Or do a Switch remaster of the game altogether. This is the era of remasters after all and they've done it before with Zelda: TooT and Wind Waker.

megladon8
07-03-2017, 11:59 PM
I liked the GC the best of the three systems that gen.

Morris Schæffer
07-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Nex Machina anyone? Makers of Resogun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsHCOIzQds0

Know what's really cool? Eugene Jarvis has worked on this. Eugene who? He's the legendary arcade coder who made classics such as Robotron 2084, Smash TV, Defender etc...

So basically, Resogun = Defender and this new one is Smash TV. I may buy this later this week.

megladon8
07-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Infinite Warfare is the most fun I've had with CoD in a long ass time.

Morris Schæffer
07-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Bought The Witness on psn store. Let's see where this goes. Early impressions are sumptuous.

Lazlo
07-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Played SuperHot VR on the PS4 yesterday. It is so damn fun. It's like being in The Matrix. Physically moving your body around bullets is wildly satisfying.

Dukefrukem
07-22-2017, 12:11 PM
SuperHot is incredible. Superhot in VR sounds like a treasure.

Morris Schæffer
07-22-2017, 01:53 PM
I want Portal in VR but superhot sounds rad also.

Morris Schæffer
07-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Holy shit guys! I literally just stopped playing The Witness to type up these words. This game, although beautiful and normally quite relaxing is, giving me the biggest goosebumps I have ever had in years. It's crazy. It's crazy difficult, but I'm beginning to slowly trust all the reviews that are saying to trust in the environment, have faith in the structures and ideas Jonathan Blow has laid out. Everything has a purpose. Something really amazing just happened, I've no idea where it'll lead, I'll know soon, but I literally just felt like Indiana Jones discovering the secret of the map room. The atmosphere is as tick as in the tensest horror game.

You need to give this game a try if you haven't already. It's entirely possible I'll never see the end because it's gonna get too difficult, but there's no doubt a major spell's been cast.

megladon8
07-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Still loving Injustice 2, but I fear I will never be good enough (at fighting games in general) to pull off some of the most complex combos and specials. Especially stuff that requires many different directional inputs. I am not accurate enough with the stick, and end up jumping instead of hitting back, ducking instead of hitting forward, etc. Still it's fun.

However, developers who tie achievements/trophies to RNG's shluld be shot.

The 2015 Godzilla game is bad, but being a Godzilla fanatic I am having enough fun with it to justify its $7.49 price tag.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to use RB/LB to turn (instead of just the right stick) should be shot as well.

And just started Horizon: Zero Dawn. Hot damm this game is pretty.

Dukefrukem
07-27-2017, 12:57 PM
First evidence that GTA 6 is in development. (job listing)

megladon8
07-27-2017, 07:14 PM
I wonder if that dude will get in trouble.

Apparently he listed working on GTA 6 on his resume.

Dukefrukem
07-27-2017, 07:21 PM
Likely.

I need to finish Red Dead.

What should I do? Should I dig out my PS3 set it up and play through it normally? Or should I buy PS Now and play it on PS4? I'm not sure how much a sub is to PS Now...

D_Davis
07-27-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm still playing Dark Souls 2, Skyrim and Diablo 3.

D_Davis
07-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Anyone checking out Pyre?

megladon8
07-28-2017, 09:26 PM
I really want to check it out just don't have enough data left this month to download it.

D_Davis
07-28-2017, 09:31 PM
Looks really interesting. Supergiant is great.

ledfloyd
08-02-2017, 01:34 AM
I'm probably late to the party on this, but I'm currently hooked on The Witness.

Morris Schæffer
08-02-2017, 05:59 AM
I'm probably late to the party on this, but I'm currently hooked on The Witness.

Check my post previous page. :D

Morris Schæffer
08-02-2017, 06:01 AM
First evidence that GTA 6 is in development. (job listing)

has been debunked as bullshit by the same person.

Idioteque Stalker
08-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Picked up Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. Weirdly excited. I'm not an FF nut, but the gambit system sounds cool.

ledfloyd
08-03-2017, 01:53 AM
Check my post previous page. :D
I'm curious what made you feel like Indiana Jones in the map room, but at the same time I don't want spoilers.

Discovering new ways of solving the mazes always feels extremely rewarding. I think it's more effective at making the progression of puzzles feel natural than Braid too.

Morris Schæffer
08-03-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm curious what made you feel like Indiana Jones in the map room, but at the same time I don't want spoilers.

Discovering new ways of solving the mazes always feels extremely rewarding. I think it's more effective at making the progression of puzzles feel natural than Braid too.

Let's see. The game has a desert setting, that's where it happened. It had nothing to do with any panels, but was an environmental thing. It wasn't there, and then suddenly it was. And when that happened, when I caught it in my peripheral vision, an idea formed in my mind. And when I tested the theory which had formed in my mind, there was actually a payoff. In short, I was on the right track. I got a staggering jolt of satisfaction there. I literally had to take a short break to fully savour and process that moment. (Probably) haven't fully figured out that puzzle yet, but I suspect part of it is certainly solved.

But man, believing that a panel is solved, and then hearing any door open with a hugely satisfying "CLANK!", knowing full well there won't be untold riches behind it but just another clue, is improbably exciting. Not sure I'll get to 100% with The Witness, but yeah this game owns.

Looks sublime on a 65 inch OLED with HDR activated also! :cool:

Ezee E
08-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Has anyone played Life Is Strange? I don't recall any discussion on here.

Two episodes in, and it's pretty good. Curious if decisions "actually" change the tide of the story or not, but there does seem to be more going on then in the Telltale stories. Themes are relatable to teen-college era demographic too, which is kind of cool. The story could almost exist without the time portal approach.

Skitch
08-06-2017, 06:55 PM
I LOATHE slide tile puzzles. My nemesis.

megladon8
08-06-2017, 10:10 PM
Horizon: Zero Dawn didn't hold my interest very long.

Beautiful for sure, but feel like I've played this 100 times before. Which wouldn't be a problem if I was interested in the story and world...which I'm not.

ledfloyd
08-13-2017, 04:49 PM
I thought the robots taking over the world story in HZD was great. Some of the other stuff, in regards to Meridian and such, not so much. I enjoyed the hunting and combat a lot, but I can completely understand how it would feel overfamiliar to someone who's played a lot of open-world games.

In other news, I just got the platinum trophy on the Witness, which has consumed much of my waking life since I started playing it. I'm still a bit away from 100-percenting it, though. I imagine I'll continue to come back to it and wander around looking for environmental puzzles. Though I'm missing some panels as well.

Idioteque Stalker
08-20-2017, 11:10 PM
FF12 is pretty great. I got really into it for a few days then got distracted by Darkest Dungeon again. I'm sure I'll get the JRPG itch again soon, and I'm glad it'll be there. The gambit system has a pretty steep learning curve.

So far, The Surge is a huge step up from Lords of the Fallen. It controls way better, and the mechanic of targeting limbs for specific loot works well. Progression also feels really good--instead of leveling up your stats it's all about finding and crafting different components of your exo-suit rig. I'm only one boss in, but it's probably the best soulslike I've played (not by From of course).

I'm also playing The Long Dark. Talk about challenging. It's a completely unforgiving wilderness survival game where you always have to weigh how hungry, thirsty, cold, and tired you are against the perils of searching for supplies (wolves, bears, blizzards... but mostly wolves). It's a really unique game that to the casual observer would look like a walking simulator but to the player feels like you're in near-constant crisis. One bad decision can mean permadeath. One missed rifle shot feels catastrophic. But finding a ragged wool scarf in a burned down cabin will make you cheer.

Also, I got the platinum for Resogun and am proud of myself. Only my third, along with The Last of Us and Shadow of Mordor. I'm close in Bloodborne (it's just so damn hard) and Defense Grid 2.

Skitch
08-20-2017, 11:34 PM
I started playing Prototype 2. I forgot how gory and cool the first game was. This is hardcore. Bit of a weird control scheme, but its instantly fun.

megladon8
08-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Currently playing Uncharted 4 (first time). It's good but far from being series best. Currently in the jeep section in Madagascar. Horribly laid out.

Traded in a few games at EB yesterday - The Surge, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and CoD BLOPS 3. Got a $77 credit and there were no games I was particularly interested in, so I got some cool Star Wars stuff.

Morris Schæffer
08-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Currently playing Uncharted 4 (first time). It's good but far from being series best. Currently in the jeep section in Madagascar. Horribly laid out.

Traded in a few games at EB yesterday - The Surge, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and CoD BLOPS 3. Got a $77 credit and there were no games I was particularly interested in, so I got some cool Star Wars stuff.

I think it's the best in terms of realism, characterization, storytelling, but yeah I prefer most of the others in terms of sheer gameplay.

megladon8
08-21-2017, 06:34 PM
I'm finding the story telling pretty weak compared to the others too.

I know it's a part that's had enough criticism already, but long lost brother? Really? Why have we never heard of this guy before?

Dukefrukem
08-21-2017, 07:31 PM

I know it's a part that's had enough criticism already, but long lost brother? Really? Why have we never heard of this guy before?

So odd that, THAT's your big criticism of the game, yet you are in utter love with the Halo franchise, the most generically laid out story of the 21st century.

megladon8
08-21-2017, 08:05 PM
Halo is more fun to play. I do enjoy the story and universe but after one playthrough of each game I pretty much skip all that stuff.

Uncharted puts story first and foremost. And up to this one the writing has been pretty stellar.

I'm still enjoying the game and it's better than most. But I expected more from Naughty Dog given their track record.

Oh and Halo being "the most genetically laid out story of the 21st century" is pretty much the very definition of hyperbole.

Morris Schæffer
08-22-2017, 10:50 AM

They were both troublemakers, it does not seem outside of the realm of possibility that they became alienated from each other although I do not remember the exact specifics of the fourth game.
That being said, I thought it was a nice touch, I thought it worked, it created a new dynamic rather than female sidekick #43.
It took three Indiana Jones movies to discover the man with the hat has a dad, but you won't hear me complain. Their chemistry was instantaneous and moving. :)

A Thief's End is more realistic and believable in terms of characters and story. Whereas previous games had what felt like an unlimited supply of villains for Nate to kill, the fourth game has longer stretches of desolation, just you vs. the environment. Everything feels more measured and possible rather than videogame-y. Cut scenes too feel startlingly real and just plain incredible to watch, the opening stretches literally feel like Nate and partner just, you know, eeking out an existence, working. Getting by. Like you and me. :) The ending too takes more time than usual and you're essentially just watching and I did. And not getting bored compared to say Metal Gear cut scenes.

Perhaps the quest itself isn't as memorable, I could agree with that. And as I already said, for sheer gameplay I prefer parts 2 and 3. Part 1 vs 4 not so sure.

megladon8
08-22-2017, 11:48 AM
We see Nate and Sam in prison together as adults shortly before Nate's adventures in the first three games. And with the events that occur in the prison, it seemed very strange that Nate (or even Sully) wouldn't have been mentioning his brother in the events of the first three.

A nitpick to be sure, but again, for a series that focuses so strongly on its characters and storytelling, it sticks out more than it would have in other games / series.

Dukefrukem
08-22-2017, 12:59 PM
We see Nate and Sam in prison together as adults shortly before Nate's adventures in the first three games. And with the events that occur in the prison, it seemed very strange that Nate (or even Sully) wouldn't have been mentioning his brother in the events of the first three.

A nitpick to be sure, but again, for a series that focuses so strongly on its characters and storytelling, it sticks out more than it would have in other games / series.

I still don't understand. On one of the four previous adventures you just expect Nate to drop some exposition about his brother?

megladon8
08-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Honestly yes.

No I wouldn't have wanted / expected paragraphs of expository dialogue about his relationship with his brother.

But Uncharted 4's beginning establishes Sam as being a huge part of Nate's life and how he got to where he is. Combine his brother's mentor-like relationship as kids with the way they parted ways in prison, and yeah, definitely should have been SOME mention of his existence in earlier games.

Hell, Uncharted 3(?) began with a sequence in Nate's childhood around the same time/age as the beginning of 4, and again, no mention.

It's established that Sully and Sam had a tumultuous relationship. No mention of that either.

The games are littered with dialogue. Nate rarely stops talking for a long period of time, and it's a lot of anecdotal stuff. Strange he never mentioned his brother.

TGM
08-23-2017, 04:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8ZnDghWAY

Cool ad, but I can't help but wonder what the purpose of it is. What's the point of making a commercial generating interest in a product that's already essentially sold out, and that most people who would be interested in it won't ever actually be able to get their hands on one anyways? Like, this just feels like Nintendo mocking their own fanbase at this point. :\

Dukefrukem
08-23-2017, 01:13 PM
I'm super late to the party on this, but the Witness is magical.

megladon8
08-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Duke I ask you this every once in a while since you're much more in the know than I am with VG news...

Heard anything about anything at all going on with the Dead Space series?

Dukefrukem
08-23-2017, 01:29 PM
No. :( Two huge EA properties that appear to be dead in the water, Dead Space and Mass Effect.... like, seriously... it's so hard to fuck up a franchise and EA has managed to do it twice.

Visceral Games is rumored to be working on the canceled Star Wars 1313 game- revamping the gameplay and story from what was already developed before it was canceled. But that's all I know. I'm guessing they are trying to line up the release with one of the upcoming movies.

Dukefrukem
08-23-2017, 01:39 PM
No. :( Two huge EA properties that appear to be dead in the water, Dead Space and Mass Effect.... like, seriously... it's so hard to fuck up a franchise and EA has managed to do it twice.

Visceral Games is rumored to be working on the canceled Star Wars 1313 game- revamping the gameplay and story from what was already developed before it was canceled. But that's all I know. I'm guessing they are trying to line up the release with one of the upcoming movies.

I mean, i suppose if a company released a product that sold $136 million worth of product, and their follow up only sold $36 million, that would be cause for concern. Which is why they made the studio focus on a sure thing- like Battlefield games. It's basically equivalent to what Disney does with their live action remakes, while a separate studio they focuses on new IPs.

It's been almost 5 years since Dead Space 3's release... I want another DS game now.

megladon8
08-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info, my man.

Total bummer though. Freaking loved that series.

Hell at this point I would settle for one of those HD remake packages of the trilogy.

Dead & Messed Up
08-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Treated myself to Donkey Kong Country Returns yesterday. Playing through, and it's fairly fun - think it plays too much on nostalgia with an barely-updated SNES soundtrack and even same-named levels, but the level design is satisfying, plenty of hidden trinkets to infuriate you. Really wish you could alternate between the two heroes like in the originals, but instead Diddy is more like a weapon expansion. Highlight so far has been two stages that make use of an enormous octopus and his tentacles.

I'm heartbroken because DKC: Tropical Freeze is supposed to be a step up in terms of platforming, and it brought back original SNES composer David Wise to create new tracks. But I don't wanna buy a WiiU for one damn game.

"Mining Melancholy" from Donkey Kong Country 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qp0_NE8M1c

"Seashore War" from Tropical Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boqy0Q-4c_M

Dukefrukem
08-23-2017, 04:43 PM

Hell at this point I would settle for one of those HD remake packages of the trilogy.

I would buy that too actually.

D_Davis
08-23-2017, 06:23 PM
I recently started a re-play of Tomb Raider Anniversary, the remake of the original TR. The last time I played it was on the PS2. This time I'm playing the HD reversion on the PS3.

TR1 is my all-time favorite game, and damn does it ever hold up.

In the first full area (4 levels), you only fight and kill a single human enemy. The entire focus is on platforming, puzzle solving, mystery and atmosphere. The game is so quiet, and slow. The level design is incredible, creating a real sense of exploration and a real sense of place.

I absolutely hated the last Tomb Raider reboot game, especially after having read how it was supposed to be "return" to the more tomb-orientated exploration of the original series. What a huge lie that was. There was more killing and action in that than in the original reboot game.

I'm so happy that the original still holds up. Not only does it hold up, but it is still a shining example of exploration-focused game play.

Morris Schæffer
08-24-2017, 10:51 AM

Same here. Dissecting aliens never got old. Still, eventually it will return. All good things do. That means we'll eventually get a new Half-Life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morris Schæffer
08-24-2017, 10:54 AM
I'm super late to the party on this, but the Witness is magical.

Closest any game has come to capturing the television show Lost. I've been doing other things the past weeks, but I'm hoping to crack a few more puzzles soon.

It's a real goosebumper of a game, I doubt I'll get to 100%

Morris Schæffer
08-25-2017, 04:26 PM
https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/blob/master/Epistle3_Corrected.md

Half-Life Episode 3 story bits as penned down by HL writer Marc Laidlaw.

It's the next best thing to actually playing it. :D

D_Davis
08-26-2017, 07:36 PM
So looking forward to Absolver this week.

D_Davis
08-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Oh man...cannot wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eypGqZtEQ

Dukefrukem
08-28-2017, 06:01 PM
First I've heard of that game DD. What particularly catches your interest? Open world RPG element?

D_Davis
08-28-2017, 06:05 PM
First I've heard of that game DD. What particularly catches your interest? Open world RPG element?

It's pretty much just a fighting game set in an open world, with a totally customizable move set (called a Fighting Deck). You learn new moves by fighting other players, and there are hundreds of different moves in 4 different fighting styles.

The kung fu in the game looks amazing. First time I've seen a fighting game that looks like an actual kung fu movie.

D_Davis
08-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Check out this 1 v 1 duel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kixl_H1nX8M&t=102s

Dukefrukem
08-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Ah. I can totally see why this would interest you. Very Dark Souls-ish. Definitely your kind of game.

megladon8
08-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Yeah Absolver looks glorious, but it's not feasible with my current internet connection and it doesn't seem to have a single player mode :(

D_Davis
08-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Yeah Absolver looks glorious, but it's not feasible with my current internet connection and it doesn't seem to have a single player mode :(

It has a single player mode. There are 3 main bosses, and 6 mini bosses to track down throughout the world. It's pretty cool, actually. You kind of have to play the single player to really get into the multi-player. You will gain experience and movies by fighting, and find new gear by exploring.

Not sure if it's worth full price for that, though.

The game itself is good so far. I've never played anything else like it. For a fighting game, it really does feel like something new. It reminds me a bit of the adventure mode in Tobal No.2, a game that never got it's fair share. The fighting is even more strategic than something like Street Fighter. If you button mash, you will lose. It's all about managing your stamina, and choosing the right time to attack, block and dodge. When you take someone out in a clean fight, it feels incredible, and looks even more awesome. The fights feel like playing a Corey Yuen or Lau Kar Leung fight.

And the building of the Combat Deck is totally overwhelming. So many choices, especially for a fighting game that only uses 2 buttons for attacks. It's all about how the moves chain into one another, and in how each of the 4 different stance begins with a certain move, before moving into another set. I can see myself spending hours putting together move sets, similar to organizing your power cards in Phantom Dust.

The game is a combination of Tobal No. 2, Phantom Dust, and Journey. If that sounds like an interesting combo, definitely check it out.

Idioteque Stalker
08-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Kentucky Route Zero coming to Switch. Major cred.

megladon8
08-31-2017, 06:27 PM
Honestly looking forward to Uncharted 4 being over at this point.

By far the worst in the main series.

Pacing is just bloody awful. I'm completely bored with all the climbing at this point.

D_Davis
08-31-2017, 07:00 PM
I liked Uncharted 4 up until the part with the jeep in the desert. Quit playing at that point.

megladon8
08-31-2017, 07:38 PM
Yeah that was godawful. The level design for the desert section was horrid.

Just got to the "big twists" in the story and man, this game has gone full retard.

Amy Hennig was clearly the brains behind these games.

D_Davis
08-31-2017, 09:35 PM
The level right before the Jeep part was freaking awesome. Total old-school Tomb Raider.

I like these games when they're confined to tombs/temples/caves, and feature exploring mysterious environments.

megladon8
08-31-2017, 09:51 PM
The level right before the Jeep part was freaking awesome. Total old-school Tomb Raider.

I like these games when they're confined to tombs/temples/caves, and feature exploring mysterious environments.

Agreed 100%, but I find there's significantly less puzzle solving or actual exploration in this one. It feigns exploration by just having tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of climbing. But I'm not finding nearly as much cool stuff as previous games.

And I'm at another jeep sequence. Ugh.

This thing controls like the Mako.

Morris Schæffer
09-01-2017, 10:48 AM
I think that they really wanted to emphasize the cinematic part and so it charges forward with nary a challenge - action or cerebral - but it's not the best playing Uncharted game.

That being said, quitting was never on the cards for me.

Dukefrukem
09-01-2017, 01:01 PM
The best Uncharted game is Uncharted 2.

megladon8
09-01-2017, 06:18 PM
The best Uncharted game is Uncharted 2.

Hear! Hear!

Watashi
09-02-2017, 04:36 AM
The epilogue of Uncharted 4 is one of my favorite gaming moments ever.

Dukefrukem
09-02-2017, 12:27 PM
The epilogue of Uncharted 4 is one of my favorite gaming moments ever.

True!

D_Davis
09-05-2017, 06:49 PM
I am digging the hell out of Pillars of Eternity. So glad it came to the consoles. I'm surprised by how good it plays with a controller. The port is pretty solid.

It's been well over ten years since I've played a game like this - since the second Icewind Dale game.

I'm playing it on the easiest setting, because I don't really care about the strategic combat. But exploring the world, the dialog and story is all great.

megladon8
09-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Finally done Uncharted 4. What a plodding experience that was. I have replayed the original 3 several times and surely will several more, but it's going to be a long ass time before I feel like going through that again.

Completely boring, and the ending really lost any gravitas at all by not having the balls to have SOMEONE die. The whole point of the adventure was that Drake is realizing this stuff is not worth the risk anymore. That's all for nothing when everyone gets out completely unscathed and they CONTINUE DOING IT.

Sure the epilogue was cute, but man. This missed the mark big time.

And I am so. Tired. Of. Climbing.

Dukefrukem
09-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Rockstar continues to troll us by announcing L.A. Noire on next gen consoles. No Red Dead though.

Idioteque Stalker
09-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Games aren't always fair, the magic lies in making you think they are. (https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/8/16263050/game-design-magic-tricks)

Crazy cool Polygon article about the tricks game designers use to make us feel a certain way. Contains some light neuroscience, a lot of specific examples from popular games, and this quote from The Prestige:

"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

If you want to be fooled, seriously don't read. But if you don't mind then you'll find out stuff like in Bioshock, the first shots from enemies always miss.

megladon8
09-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Man Darksiders holds up really well.

Skitch
09-11-2017, 12:37 AM
Man Darksiders holds up really well.

No shit.

D_Davis
09-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Games aren't always fair, the magic lies in making you think they are. (https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/8/16263050/game-design-magic-tricks)

Crazy cool Polygon article about the tricks game designers use to make us feel a certain way. Contains some light neuroscience, a lot of specific examples from popular games, and this quote from The Prestige:

"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

If you want to be fooled, seriously don't read. But if you don't mind then you'll find out stuff like in Bioshock, the first shots from enemies always miss.

Great article.

Dukefrukem
09-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Darksiders is fantastic.

Morris Schæffer
09-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Haven't bought a lot of 3DS games, 2 in fact, but Metroid: Samus Returns is getting great reviews. Looked slick also.

Idioteque Stalker
09-22-2017, 05:32 PM
On a whim just now I bought a Switch with the Mario/Rabbids game for $340 on ebay. So excited.

Morris Schæffer
09-23-2017, 09:58 AM

I went back to this earlier post since I'm playing Lost Legacy. It's a hugely playable game and when one thinks of it as an expansion pack, it's possibly one of the best ever, but really, the jeep sections are a chore in this and I'm definitely more receptive to it than during the previous game. As far as I'm concerned, open sections are out for this franchise.

Idioteque Stalker
09-23-2017, 01:04 PM
My favorite part of Uncharted 4 is the clock tower.

bac0n
09-25-2017, 07:44 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Rockstar is teasing a big announcement regarding Red Dead Redemption on Thursday.

Dukefrukem
09-26-2017, 12:02 AM
Saw it. But I dont what to get my hopes up that Red Dead is coming to PS4 and/or PC.

Morris Schæffer
09-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Naughty Dog sure has a hard-on for waterfalls.

Idioteque Stalker
09-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Saw it. But I dont what to get my hopes up that Red Dead is coming to PS4 and/or PC.

It's coming to PS4. You about gave me a heart attack.

Milky Joe
09-27-2017, 12:12 AM
On a whim just now I bought a Switch with the Mario/Rabbids game for $340 on ebay. So excited.

do yourself a solid and get the Zelda game now. it is glorious.

Idioteque Stalker
09-27-2017, 01:27 AM

I've played it and loved it on the Wii U. Will eventually buy again on Switch I'm sure. Fantastic game.

Milky Joe
09-27-2017, 01:44 AM
Ah, gotcha. Well then, Mario's right around the corner! :)

Dukefrukem
09-28-2017, 03:13 PM
F. M. A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F63h3v9QV7w

D_Davis
09-28-2017, 04:27 PM

This is the hardest game I've ever played.

I've 1cc'ed most Cave/Atlus shmups.

I 1cc'ed Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga back in the day.

Can easily beat all the Soulsborne games.

After 40 hours of Zelda I was still getting one-shotted by enemies and I had no weapons. I absolutely HATE that game! I've never sucked at a game so bad. I absolutely have no idea how to play it. LOL! Probably the single most frustrating game I've ever played.

Morris Schæffer
09-28-2017, 07:32 PM
F. M. A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F63h3v9QV7w

I'm cautiously excited. The open, go-anywhere expanses in these games lend themselves less to sandbox than something like GTA or Just Cause so I hope there's enough to keep me off the beaten path this time and I hope the missions show a bit of variety and challenge. Red Dead Redemption got samey after a while regardless of whether it nailed the western atmosphere. Which it unquestionably did.

bac0n
09-28-2017, 08:23 PM
On the contrary, I think RDR nailed the sandbox better than anybody except Skyrim. I can't tell you how many hours I spent with the game just horsebacking through the forest north of Blackwater.

I'm looking forward to more of the same with RDR2.

Morris Schæffer
09-28-2017, 08:33 PM
On the contrary, I think RDR nailed the sandbox better than anybody except Skyrim. I can't tell you how many hours I spent with the game just horsebacking through the forest north of Blackwater.

I'm looking forward to more of the same with RDR2.

That's where I disagree although these things are personal. This is a game, therefore I expect...gameplay. Everything was barren, devoid of interesting things to do and although that comes with the territory of a realistic, lived-in cowboy gameworld, it didn't keep me fully engaged throughout and it took some effort to simply reach the end. I think the main missions could have been more varied and exciting also.

A sandbox game to me is one rife with opportunities, fucking about, experimentation etc... just horsebacking through the forest sounds as boring as it reads. :D Glad it worked for you though.

Dukefrukem
09-28-2017, 09:38 PM
If you wanna talk barren, play GTAV and expect something to happen in the ocean other than getting eaten by a shark.

They give you a fucking submarine and there's literally nothing to explore.

megladon8
09-28-2017, 09:48 PM
I'm finding myself pretty tired of open world games. The schtick is old.

Skitch
09-28-2017, 10:28 PM
I'm finding myself pretty tired of open world games. The schtick is old.

I like the non-massive ones...Prototype, Infamous, Arkham...freedom to explore without feeling overwhelmed by travel time.

D_Davis
09-28-2017, 10:47 PM
I like open world games when there is a lot of stuff to see, explore, and experience. Skyrim strikes the perfect balance of open space, and stuff to do. That's why I'm sill playing it.

Scar
09-29-2017, 12:14 AM
I lost track of the piles of grizzlies and buffalo I piled up in Red Dead.

Ezee E
09-29-2017, 01:42 AM
Is there any multiplayer approach to it?

D_Davis
09-30-2017, 04:14 AM
Oh my god you guys. Hob. I am in heaven.

D_Davis
09-30-2017, 05:29 AM
Hob might be the best game I've played since the original Dark Souls. It's totally blowing my mind.

Morris Schæffer
09-30-2017, 07:37 AM
If you wanna talk barren, play GTAV and expect something to happen in the ocean other than getting eaten by a shark.

They give you a fucking submarine and there's literally nothing to explore.

To be fair, it's not a diving simulation. And I recall pictures of a huge ship wreck lying on the bottom of the ocean.

Morris Schæffer
09-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Anyone at all interested in Cuphead? It's a tough game apparently, but even in an era when many stunning side-scrollers have been released, Cuphead looks absolutely, mouthwateringly beautiful.

Dukefrukem
09-30-2017, 12:55 PM
To be fair, it's not a diving simulation. And I recall pictures of a huge ship wreck lying on the bottom of the ocean.

That's part of a main quest.

D_Davis
09-30-2017, 02:11 PM
Anyone at all interested in Cuphead? It's a tough game apparently, but even in an era when many stunning side-scrollers have been released, Cuphead looks absolutely, mouthwateringly beautiful.

Id buy it in a heartbeat if it comes to PS4.

Idioteque Stalker
09-30-2017, 02:24 PM
I was very scared after so many years of development and the pressure of being an Xbox One exclusive that Cuphead would be released and get something in the 70s on metacritic and be viewed as a massive bomb. But instead it got something in the 80s and everything is okay.

Gaming criticism is so fucked up.

Stay Puft
09-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Oh my god you guys. Hob. I am in heaven.

Hob might be the best game I've played since the original Dark Souls. It's totally blowing my mind.

I hadn't heard of the game until your posts. Thanks for the heads up, this looks really cool.

D_Davis
10-01-2017, 01:33 AM
Hob is blowing my mind like every ten minutes. Some of the most jaw dropping moments I've experienced in a video game. To make an easy comparison, imagine Bastion meets Abe's Odyssey meets Zelda. But more esoteric and mysterious. One of the most interesting and imaginative worlds I've ever explored.

Dukefrukem
10-01-2017, 12:40 PM
F. M. A.

Ezee E
10-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Has to be Superman or Justice League, right?

bac0n
10-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Looks like Dragons Dogma is being remastered and released on the PS4. Worth my time?

megladon8
10-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Eh, I didn't like it at all.

It tried to be part Skyrim, part Dark Souls, and fails miserably at both.

Frankly I found it really boring.

D_Davis
10-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Looks like Dragons Dogma is being remastered and released on the PS4. Worth my time?

Yes. If you approach it for what it is. The combat is great. Especially he ranged and magical combat. It can be frustrating and annoying but it can also be a really cool experience. It's the most D&D like video game I've played. The included DLC is supposed to be incredible. I haven't tried it yet.

It does have some super annoying dialog and characters though.

megladon8
10-04-2017, 12:21 AM
Any big FF enthusiasts around here?

Dukefrukem
10-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Final Fantasy? I played them all through XIII (even XI)

megladon8
10-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Any recommendations where to start in the series so I can give it a real, serious go?

Dukefrukem
10-04-2017, 01:14 AM
Wow. That's a tough one! Not really sure how to answer it. But I'll just rank them as I can remember.

I guess I would start with what I would say is the best first, and tell you to ignore the XIII series, and work your way through? You're talking about hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay.

So if I had to rank them.

VII- My all-time favorite game ever (Materia System - one of the hardest / most complicated in the series)
VI- Job system
VIII- Best Music and Junction system is super easy to use
IX- Excellent Story and Tetra Master (card game) system was fun- but frustrating
IV- Active Time Battle system
XII - Introduces open world to Final Fantasy - Made me miss the random battles- I never finished it.
V- Job system - fight battle sequences
III
II
I
XIII -Hated the "Paradigm" system- works as a spider web basically
X- Hated Blitzball and the Sphere Grid

megladon8
10-04-2017, 11:02 PM
Awesome info Duke, thanks so much :)

FF7 is one I tried when it first came out on PS1, but had absolutely ZERO experience or knowledge of RPGs, turn based combat, or how to play either.

There was a sequence in an elevator with several fights that I could never pass.

Does the game still hold up? I mean, I know that's hard to request an unbiased answer for seeing as you said it's your #1 of all time. Just wondering if you think it's aged well?

Dukefrukem
10-04-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. I haven't played it since 1997 on PSX. I've been waiting for the remake (as others have as well). I purchased it on steam last year but still never installed it.

It's one of those games that I'm afraid to replay, because I dont want those nostalgic memories altered. There hasn't been a game released that has had this big of an impact on me . (maybe Metal Gear) I have been tempted to setup my steambox and play it though.

I own one of the rare misprinted PSX packaging too. Currently sells for $165 on amazon.

Scar
10-04-2017, 11:45 PM
Awesome info Duke, thanks so much :)

FF7 is one I tried when it first came out on PS1, but had absolutely ZERO experience or knowledge of RPGs, turn based combat, or how to play either.

There was a sequence in an elevator with several fights that I could never pass.

Does the game still hold up? I mean, I know that's hard to request an unbiased answer for seeing as you said it's your #1 of all time. Just wondering if you think it's aged well?

Hold up? Ehhhhh...... Like Duke, I've invested a shit ton of hours into it. I would always get giddy when the dark music would kick in, and even more giddy when the true Sephiroth theme would kick in, and don't get me started on the final fight music.

It was great in the day, but even back then the game graphics were blocky, but the cut scenes were awesome. I do miss the turn based combat system. If you have no problem playing old video games, give it a go. There is a multi chapter remake release coming out one of these years.

EDIT: The elevator fights are a bit of a challenge. In this day and age, look online for how to beat it.

Dukefrukem
10-04-2017, 11:51 PM
The cut scenes were so cutting edge for it's time. And honestly, I dont remember the character being blocky. When did you first play it Scar?
The music was phenomenal. Still echos in my head sometimes. I still feel FF8 has the better soundtrack though.

Whatever you do, don't defeat Yuffie. She's such a pain in the ass. Run away!

Scar
10-04-2017, 11:55 PM
The cut scenes were so cutting edge for it's time. And honestly, I dont remember the character being blocky. When did you first play it Scar?
The music was phenomenal. Still echos in my head sometimes. I still feel FF8 has the better soundtrack though.

Whatever you do, don't defeat Yuffie. She's such a pain in the ass. Run away!

I played it on PS One back in college ('97 maybe?) And yes, FF8's sound track is phenomenal. It was one of the first Playstation games I got, as well as Gran Turismo and Bushido Blade.

I :heart: Yuffie.

Idioteque Stalker
10-05-2017, 12:24 AM
I loved the FF games in middle school. Played and beat 7, 8, 9, and 10. My favorite was 9, but I enjoyed them all. Kinda doubt I would love them today. I've been sort of playing the remaster of 12 though and it's really cool. So is Type-0.

Skitch
10-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Wow duke, I'm kinda shocked. As someone who came to FF late, I would say X is a great jumping off point. Easy to get on board with. Because of X, it was easy for me to fall in love with 9, 8, and 7. 7 is amazeballs, but its really old school at this point. It was better for someone like me who didn't know the series, to get an understanding of the dynamics via X and then work backwards.

Neclord
10-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Start with Final Fantasy Tactics

Dukefrukem
10-05-2017, 12:46 AM
Wow duke, I'm kinda shocked. As someone who came to FF late, I would say X is a great jumping off point. Easy to get on board with. Because of X, it was easy for me to fall in love with 9, 8, and 7. 7 is amazeballs, but its really old school at this point. It was better for someone like me who didn't know the series, to get an understanding of the dynamics via X and then work backwards.

I hated Blitzball so much. So so so so much.

But I admit, I'm not the one to ask where to start in the franchise if you're coming in cold. It's been a long gradual evolution for me. And quite frankly, I haven't been all that impressed with the most recent releases.

Ezee E
10-05-2017, 04:21 AM
What's the one with the jawa looking guy?

I remember going into a library and fighting against a big book. I had played for hours that day, and this was a small little task, so didn't seem like a big deal. Fucking book wiped me out. I think I was in the third disc. Never finished...

Morris Schæffer
10-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Final Fantasy VIII is my attempt at enjoying these games. I must have gotten halfway through when I gave up. I must say, I found it quite spectacular, but it is possible the unskippable special move sequences began to take its toll.
Furthermore, the more dynamic RPG battles of Mass Effect and The Division are far more my thing.

Skitch
10-05-2017, 11:44 AM
I hated Blitzball so much. So so so so much.

But I admit, I'm not the one to ask where to start in the franchise if you're coming in cold. It's been a long gradual evolution for me. And quite frankly, I haven't been all that impressed with the most recent releases.

Yeah, blitzball wasn't good but they all have some stupid games in them.

I haven't been able to wrap my brain around the new fighting methods since X. As a late comer to RPGs in general, I NEED that time of turn-based to figure out what the hell to do. I played a few hours of XII and got frustrated. XIII has been on my shelf for years and I haven't popped it in.

Dukefrukem
10-05-2017, 12:18 PM
What's the one with the jawa looking guy?

I remember going into a library and fighting against a big book. I had played for hours that day, and this was a small little task, so didn't seem like a big deal. Fucking book wiped me out. I think I was in the third disc. Never finished...

hahahah that's FF9

Dukefrukem
10-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Yeah, blitzball wasn't good but they all have some stupid games in them.

I haven't been able to wrap my brain around the new fighting methods since X. As a late comer to RPGs in general, I NEED that time of turn-based to figure out what the hell to do. I played a few hours of XII and got frustrated. XIII has been on my shelf for years and I haven't popped it in.

I'm in this boat too. There was something special about turn based fighting. Hearing Lightning clop around in an open world is exhausting, annoying and unfun when you can see the enemies you are about to fight....

D_Davis
10-05-2017, 01:49 PM
FF9 is so good. I'd way rather have a remake of that than of 7.

I remember buying the original on the NES the day it came out here. My buddy and I spent he better part of a year playing it. Still remember that giant fold out map with all the enemies printed on the other side.

Dukefrukem
10-05-2017, 03:06 PM
OMG the fold out map!

Ezee E
10-05-2017, 03:16 PM
I think I played through a few discs of VII and VIII too, but can't really remember a thing about it.

megladon8
10-05-2017, 06:11 PM
I always thought XII looked beautiful.

And I own XV but played about an hour before the Bloodborne DLC finished downloading and I dropped it like...something...that gets dropped?

I think part of my resistance to the series (aside from quitting VII due to frustration as mentioned earlier) is that I've always been under the impression they were all connected and told some grand, weaving, convoluted story that I could never penetrate.

I didn't know until very recently that it's actually the opposite - while there are a few recording characters and themes (and winks for long time fans) the games are almost all stand alone.

D_Davis
10-05-2017, 06:22 PM
FFXII is pretty cool. Neat world.

Tactics is probably the one I would recommend the most today. That game is fantastic.

Watashi
10-05-2017, 10:00 PM
IX > X > VII > VI > IV > VIII >>>>>> XIII

Haven't played XII or XV though I've been mildly curious about them.

Watashi
10-05-2017, 10:01 PM
I would love to see a proper sequel to Tactics.

megladon8
10-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Finished Darksiders and jumped right into Darksiders 2.

Forgot how ouch of a tonal shift the second one is.

The first is eoic, cartoonish action. Number 2 is almost somber in tone. I love it.

Idioteque Stalker
10-09-2017, 08:11 PM
With WB doing some shit DLC and microtransactions, plus many reviews pointing out that it doesn't really do anything new, it feels to me like maybe Shadow of War isn't going to be the big hit the first one was. Not affecting me, for the record. I'm so pumped to play this evening.

Idioteque Stalker
10-11-2017, 03:04 AM
Shadow of War is awesome so far. I'm getting to know my nemeses really well since I'm playing on hard mode. It pretty much forces you to exploit their weaknesses and mind their strengths, even if you're otherwise good at the game.

Just now entered the second region--an epic level orc named Bagga the Survivor (named because he survived me before but now has metal strips keeping his brains in his head) has actually followed me from one distinct map to another. "You'd think I'd let you get away so easily," he said. "Think again!"

A major difference so far from the first game is that "good guys" have ranks too. This one human sergeant I saved showed up during an otherwise hopeless last stand and in turn saved my sorry ass. Didn't feel like deus ex machina at all--it was just an awesome development that had me cheering.

Dukefrukem
10-13-2017, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txvKrTplOVs

bac0n
10-13-2017, 05:13 PM
Some of the reviews have really piqued my interest in Shadow of War. Then I started to wondering: will I be able to understand what's going on without having first played Shadow of Mordor?

Then I started wondering: why the hell don't I just play Shadow of Mordor? The GotY edition is on Amazon for 25 bucks.

Then I started to wondering: where are my pants?

Dukefrukem
10-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Fuck Meg.

EA is shutting down its Visceral Games....

Skitch
10-17-2017, 08:33 PM
What the hell did Meg do?

Buy a comma! :p

Dukefrukem
10-17-2017, 09:53 PM
I'll take commas for $500.

Morris Schæffer
10-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Fuck Meg.

EA is shutting down its Visceral Games....

Does that necessarily imply that franchise is dead?

Dukefrukem
10-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Does that necessarily imply that franchise is dead?

Yes. Unless someone buys the rights from them. This is the worst news I've heard in gaming in a long time on multiple reasons. Put it this way:

In EA's statement, they are literally saying they are halting production on all single player immersive games and focusing on "games as a service". This means every game they decide to develop will be based around the Destiny platform. Expect tons of DLC, loot creates and micro-transactions.

Put it this way, the lead on the Uncharted series left Naughty Dog to develop the single player action Star Waars game for EA. This news cancels the game. That's how little faith they are putting in their ROI after 3 years of development! EA is saying games like Uncharted will still exist in first party areas like Sony, but Sony will chalk those games up as loss as they all focus on this games a service model. The development times are too expensive and market analysis believe that $60 games (which has only risen $10 in 20 years) isn't enough to sustain the development costs and they don't believe the market would accept games that cost more than $60 a pop. So that leaves 2 options: Cut development costs. Or find another revenue model.

The sad truth is there will be three times of AAA games moving forward: Destiny, GTA and Battlefield.

It's time for indie developers to step up... big time.

D_Davis
10-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Activision was just granted a patent that helps facilitate the sell of microtransactions in games through the practice of matchmaking people in multi-player games who have more stuff, better character skills, with players who have less stuff to entice those who have less stuff to buy the things they see the other players with.

To read the patent, go to:

https://www.pat2pdf.org

(https://www.pat2pdf.org)
Abstract
A system and method is provided that drives microtransactions in multiplayer video games. The system may include a microtransaction arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. For instance, the system may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player.

Search for Patent No. 9789406 (https://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat9789406.pdf)

This, coupled with EA's push away from single player, towards all games being services, and Shadow of War's loot boxes and upselling in game menus is quickly killing any love for the hobby I had left.

megladon8
10-18-2017, 10:02 PM
So video games are dead.

Glad I got onto the tabletop gaming wagon in time.

D_Davis
10-18-2017, 10:16 PM
What we need are more companies like From Software. Companies who make games that are great to play, but may not have the best technical aspects, so they can keep their budgets relatively low. The major developers have completely lost sight of what makes a great game great.

Idioteque Stalker
10-19-2017, 02:01 AM
This, coupled with EA's push away from single player, towards all games being services, and Shadow of War's loot boxes and upselling in game menus is quickly killing any love for the hobby I had left.

Because you are historically such a huge fan of EA, Activision, and WB.

(Sorry, I'm still defensive of my hobby.)

Idioteque Stalker
10-19-2017, 02:08 AM
As an art form, video games are in their infancy. Every so often people proclaim the "death of video games" because things are trending in the wrong direction. Remember how PS3/360 was supposed to be the last console cycle because the app store was gonna take over the world? Money talks, and while publishers are currently frothing at the mouth for GTA Online and Destiny money, the overriding feel I've gotten from industry folks and hardcore gamers like ourselves is that this business model will ultimately receive a backlash that helps balance the ecosystem out again.

Also, 2017 is IMO the best year for gaming in quite a while. That's gotta mean something.

Skitch
10-19-2017, 04:21 AM
As an art form, video games are in their infancy. Every so often people proclaim the "death of video games" because things are trending in the wrong direction. Remember how PS3/360 was supposed to be the last console cycle because the app store was gonna take over the world? Money talks, and while publishers are currently frothing at the mouth for GTA Online and Destiny money, the overriding feel I've gotten from industry folks and hardcore gamers like ourselves is that this business model will ultimately receive a backlash that helps balance the ecosystem out again.

Also, 2017 is IMO the best year for gaming in quite a while. That's gotta mean something.

One time, long ago, a young lad nicknamed Skitch said he's tired of always being last to the cutting edge, so when the cutting edge took a 50% price drop he got a loan from his dad and dropped just over $400 dollars to be ON the cutting edge. It was a pretty cool couple of months.

I still own my Panasonic 3DO, and will likely never be on the cutting edge again.

Watashi
10-19-2017, 05:29 AM
I would love to support more indie games if they weren't so damn difficult. I want more games like Journey and Firewatch rather than Cuphead.

Dukefrukem
10-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Remember how PS3/360 was supposed to be the last console cycle because the app store was gonna take over the world?

No.

bac0n
10-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Hey, if it makes any of you guys feel any better, I'm really enjoying the first few hours of Shadow of Mordor. I've spent hardly any time advancing the plot; I'm having too much fun sneaking up behind and killing Uruk Hai, as well as chasing down and killing their captains.

Why, I had a pretty fun fight going with Glῧb The Arse-Faced before he summoned his flunkies on me, turned tail, and ran. I wound up chasing him half way back to The Shire before I caught up with him and finished the job.

I guess, if there is a point to be had with this little screed, it's that even if the newer games start coming out with this proposed EA/Activision nickle-and-dime-you-to-death model, the upside is:

1) I'll be saving myself some money on account of me not buying any of these new games.
2) This will be a great opportunity for playing some of the games I've been meaning to get to this gen but never was able to. And i have a big enough backlog to keep me going for years. And all of the games in that backlog will be 25 bucks or less.

D_Davis
10-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Because you are historically such a huge fan of EA, Activision, and WB.

(Sorry, I'm still defensive of my hobby.)

Hey now!

I liked a lot of EA's games, or at least I liked a lot of the games made by companies they acquired and killed off. Activision not as much, except for Blizzard stuff. WB? Maybe? The first Batman Akrham game?

I get it. Companies need and want to make money, and as much as possible. That's fine. I just don't like where the big companies are focusing their attention. I'm glad we're seeing the rize of the mid-sized game again. These mid-sized games were always the undiscovered gems during the PS1 and PS2 eras, so if we see more of these, that's great.

D_Davis
10-19-2017, 02:51 PM
I would love to support more indie games if they weren't so damn difficult. I want more games like Journey and Firewatch rather than Cuphead.

There are far more games like the ones you like than there are games like Cuphead.

D_Davis
10-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Wats, seriously, check out Hob. It is incredible. One of the best games I've played in years.

Idioteque Stalker
10-19-2017, 05:24 PM
No.

I should clarify that it was near the end of the PS3/360 cycle that this was a fear. It seems like a long time ago, but there was a lot of trepidation leading up to the launch of the PS4 and XBONE. Here's a Variety article (http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/how-apple-will-kill-gaming-consoles-1200571398/) that reminds me of a lot of what I was hearing back then. People were scared that casual gamers had overtaken the market and "soon-to-be-console-quality" iPads, etc. were the future.

Dukefrukem
10-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Oh man. That article is hilarous. "Why buy a $400-$500 box that is going to be obsolete within a couple of years when we have desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones all over the place?"

Because desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones are somehow obsolete proof.

Trying running iOS 11 on a 2010 iPhone. I dare you.

Skitch
10-19-2017, 09:36 PM
I should clarify that it was near the end of the PS3/360 cycle that this was a fear.

I remember people talking about/like that. I scoffed. I've seen real death of video games (see post Atari, pre NES years), so I'm not scared any more. Video games have taken a complete foothold in society thanks to Mario, and it hasn't barely dipped since imo. Go completely to phones? Nah. There will always be audience for each section.

One of my favorite quotes of all time about Halo (can't for the life of me remember who, could've been a MCer), "People that think Halo is revolutionary haven't played an FPS on PC in a decade."

I'm not a PC gamer. I'm a console guy. And the numbers of sales show its not going anywhere imo.

Watashi
10-20-2017, 10:55 PM
Wats, seriously, check out Hob. It is incredible. One of the best games I've played in years.

I'll check it out.

Any other recent-ish indie to recommend that aren't overly difficult?

Ezee E
10-20-2017, 11:03 PM
I'll check it out.

Any other recent-ish indie to recommend that aren't overly difficult?

Fortnite is free and fun.

Morris Schæffer
10-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Finished Uncharted The Lost Legacy. Solid fun, spectacular vistas, but I can't say ND was struck by a flash of inspiration. Which is putting it real mildly.

Starting Watch Dogs 2 now. Didn't quite get into part 1, but this one is supposed to be better.

Dukefrukem
10-24-2017, 04:43 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/D4X_PVaFUON_zOSAWldCyhU_44s=/0x427:2420x1788/640x360/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/57290595/9188sExeZ6L._AC_.0.jpg

Skitch
10-24-2017, 08:14 PM
I know its but said before, but it really irritates the shit out of me that in a time when we have the biggest tvs we've ever had, split screen gaming is almost completely non-existent anymore. All those hours squinting at teeny tiny Goldeneye 1/4th screens...

megladon8
10-25-2017, 12:07 AM
Oh man, this is great. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=48&v=UZWDTLsQhEk)

(Sorry, can never get videos to embed properly).

bac0n
10-25-2017, 03:06 AM
I'm pretty sure somewhere there's a story to this Shadow of Mordor game, but right now I'm having way too much fun climbing up top of buildings and hunting Orcs like I'm Batman in Arkham City, albeit with a sword, and gleefully unencumbered by that whole no-kill clause.

Dukefrukem
10-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Hey everyone. The Kinect is dead and likely will come down to the reason that ruined the Xbox One's chances. It's up there with the Virtual Boy and Wii-U now for interesting attempts gone wrong.

Idioteque Stalker
10-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Between Zelda and Mario, I've never seen so many perfect scores. Nintendo dominated 2017 and there hasn't even been a holiday yet. A healthy Nintendo is good for gaming. Can't wait to play Mario tomorrow.

Skitch
10-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Hey everyone. The Kinect is dead and likely will come down to the reason that ruined the Xbox One's chances. It's up there with the Virtual Boy and Wii-U now for interesting attempts gone wrong.

GOOD

Morris Schæffer
10-27-2017, 06:16 AM
Between Zelda and Mario, I've never seen so many perfect scores. Nintendo dominated 2017 and there hasn't even been a holiday yet. A healthy Nintendo is good for gaming. Can't wait to play Mario tomorrow.

Nintendo is really going to town with their key characters. Bodes well for Metroid Prime 4.

Morris Schæffer
10-27-2017, 06:24 AM
The new Wolfenstein is also getting raves. Many are praising its...humanity and emotional resonance.

megladon8
10-27-2017, 06:55 AM
The new Wolfenstein is also getting raves. Many are praising its...humanity and emotional resonance.

Have you played the first?

I would give it the same praise.

One of the best FPS action adventure games I’ve ever played. It’s stunning.

Morris Schæffer
10-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Have you played the first?

I would give it the same praise.

One of the best FPS action adventure games I’ve ever played. It’s stunning.

Oh yeah kickass but surprisingly textured, moving. The old blood was decent fun.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2017, 04:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-idSP5Ztaw

megladon8
10-27-2017, 06:14 PM
I’d forgotten how amazing the atmosphere in Darksiders 2 is, and it’s 90% the INCREDIBLE music.

One of the best game soundtracks of all time, for sure.

It sets such a solemn mood, which is so perfect.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2017, 09:20 PM
wow, great read

https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Skitch
10-27-2017, 10:44 PM
I’d forgotten how amazing the atmosphere in Darksiders 2 is, and it’s 90% the INCREDIBLE music.

One of the best game soundtracks of all time, for sure.

It sets such a solemn mood, which is so perfect.

I loved that game so much I rebought the first one for PS3 (used to own on 360 that redringed a dozen times). I almost fired it up after finishing part 2, but decided to let it breathe. That says a lot that I can finish a game and IMMEDIATELY want to stay in that playground.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2017, 06:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzdNECcio54

bac0n
10-30-2017, 06:59 PM
If that the trailer where it starts out with two people dragging someone? if so, couldn't make it through. Too brutal.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Yes

D_Davis
10-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Man, the new Assassin's Creed looks so damn good. Haven't been this stoked about an AC game since the first one. Can't wait to pick it up this week. It's a full-on RPG now, with tiered loot, quests, and numbers flying off enemies when you hit them. I LOVE it when numbers fly of of enemies!

Ezee E
10-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Is there a release date for Last of Us 2? Looks absolutely brutal and tough as a story goes. Might take it to a territory that I feel hasn't been done in a game.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2017, 08:38 PM
No release date yet.

Idioteque Stalker
10-30-2017, 09:21 PM
That is one bold trailer. New characters only, brutal as hell, very little hint as to what's actually going on. I think I love it. Somehow that world seems to be in a much worse place than the last game.

Ezee E
10-30-2017, 09:31 PM
That is one bold trailer. New characters only, brutal as hell, very little hint as to what's actually going on. I think I love it. Somehow that world seems to be in a much worse place than the last game.

I would not have seen it otherwise, sadly.

Although we do know that the original characters will be back.

D_Davis
10-30-2017, 09:31 PM
That trailer completely turned me off from the game. Seemed totally try-hard. I didn't care much for the first one though, but found some of what I played interesting, and it was undeniably well made.

megladon8
10-30-2017, 10:08 PM
I don’t care much about more The Last of Us at this point.

Stay Puft
10-30-2017, 10:20 PM
I'm much more interested in the new Sucker Punch game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSKgVBM0xMU

D_Davis
10-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Really looking forward to Monster Hunter World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbvCbujoqbk

megladon8
10-31-2017, 12:34 AM
I can’t wait til I can afford to pick up Wolfenstein 2.

Skitch
10-31-2017, 07:11 PM
I'm much more interested in the new Sucker Punch game.

Hell yeah! I wish they would make new Onimusha games. All three on the PS2 are classics.

Morris Schæffer
11-01-2017, 07:25 AM
wow, great read

https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Yes!

Morris Schæffer
11-01-2017, 07:57 PM
https://youtu.be/dKUc9MYVWGE

Shadow of the Colossus remake looks really amazing! Well done! May just buy this again.

megladon8
11-02-2017, 05:23 PM
I’d completely forgotten that you fight frickin’ Cthulhu in Darksiders 2. So awesome.

Going to try out MGS V next. A little weary, as Ground Zeroes did nothing for me. But hey, at least it’s free.

D_Davis
11-02-2017, 05:39 PM
MGSV is still the best playing game I've ever played. It feels so damn good. It's way too long for its own good, but for about 20 or so hours, it's the best video game. I've never played a game that felt better to play.

D_Davis
11-02-2017, 05:40 PM
New Assassin's Creed is great. Best one in the series I've played, by far. The combat is finally good. I can already tell I won't come close to finishing it - the world is way too big. But I know I'm going to have a few dozen hours of fun with it.

megladon8
11-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Do I have to have played any of the previous MGS games to understand what’s going on?

D_Davis
11-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Do I have to have played any of the previous MGS games to understand what’s going on?

I had no idea what was going on and I didn't care. It's all about the moment to moment game play.

But I never care about what's going on in a video game.

One of my favorite things about the new Assassin's Creed is that I can skip all the cut scenes.

megladon8
11-02-2017, 05:59 PM
I’ve only played the original MGS and that was nearly 20 years ago.

I understand MGS has a crazy convoluted lore.

Just wondering if you think I need to have played through the previous games before I try this one?

D_Davis
11-02-2017, 06:04 PM
You should probably play every video game made before MGSV before playing MGSV, just to make sure you get all the references.

megladon8
11-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I’m looking forward to giving it a try. Just worried about not catching on to what’s going on since I’m not well versed in the series lore.

Think I’ll have trouble?

Ezee E
11-02-2017, 06:21 PM
I'm doing the same thing since it was free. I played MGS2 until it went to the other character and killed the momentum.

megladon8
11-02-2017, 06:25 PM
My main worry is that I won’t be able to follow what’s going on, since I don’t know the lore well.

I’ve only played the first and it was a long time ago.

Ezee E
11-02-2017, 06:29 PM
My main worry is that I won’t be able to follow what’s going on, since I don’t know the lore well.

Oh.

Skitch
11-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Ha, meg, your comment made me snort out loud. Not at you, but because MGS is absolutely so damn convoluted its hard to nail down the details of any one entry in any sort of succinct manner. :)

I've never been able to succeed in playing more than an hour in any of them, but enjoy watching friends play who are good at them. Last one I got see was that badass one on PS2. Sons of Liberty? The one on the oil platform. Damn was that a cool game. Then chirp chirp, Snake! I've got to tell you an hour of plotty stuff while you hide in a locker! lol

Dukefrukem
11-02-2017, 11:13 PM

I've played them all and I have no idea what MGSV was about.

Dukefrukem
11-02-2017, 11:15 PM
If you can stomach it, Gametrailers did a 10 part retrospective on the entire franchise. It's incredible how intertwined the story is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw9dQh9uXZU

Scar
11-02-2017, 11:59 PM

I played the shit out of IV, had no idea what the fuck was going on, and loved the shit out of it, and replayed it numerous times.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2017, 12:04 AM
I had my favorite gaming memory of IV. It literally brought tears to my eyes.

Morris Schæffer
11-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Cod WWII is getting strong reviews. I'm ready to return to WW2.

bac0n
11-03-2017, 12:04 PM
This is a pretty good month for gaming if you love killing nazis - and who doesn't love killing nazis?

okay, don't answer that.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2017, 12:29 PM
I'm amazed you guys (or anyone for that matter) are still excited by fucking COD. Let it die.

In other more exciting and more better rumor/news;

"Game Informer cover game will be revealed next week...It will be Rocksteady’s Superman game. The scale and the ambition of the game is massive, you all will be blown away by the details. Can’t wait to see your reaction, lads."

Skitch
11-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Sweet!

megladon8
11-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Infinite Warfare was pretty neat.

bac0n
11-03-2017, 01:24 PM
"Game Informer cover game will be revealed next week...It will be Rocksteady’s Superman game. The scale and the ambition of the game is massive, you all will be blown away by the details. Can’t wait to see your reaction, lads."

I predict lots more hoops to fly through, each of them exquisitely & ornately detailed, and much better particle effects on the fog enshrouding Metropolis.

Skitch
11-03-2017, 01:39 PM
And underground flying with mystery destination elevator/warp thingies.

Ezee E
11-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Legit, I'm guessing you can fly to different planets probably.

D_Davis
11-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Played ACO for almost 5 hours last night. Game is brilliant. It's too bad people seem to be passing this one up, but that's what happens when a franchise is run into the ground. Better than Black Flag, which was the best AC game by far. The combat is so good, and the environments are super interesting to explore.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Assassin's Creed 2 is the best AC game. Brotherhood a close second. Story is by far the most superior. Everything about the Ezio trilogy is great but the incremental improvements game to game is what makes them the most fun. They are not overly complicated as they start to get when Black Flag hits.

megladon8
11-03-2017, 06:46 PM
AC is a series that just never captured me. Black Flag was fun for a while but overstated its welcome. The Ezio trilogy did nothing for me.

The lore is so damn silly but takes itself so damn seriously, it loses me.

I’m also finding open world games less and less appealing. Maybe it’s due to the fact that I rarely have several hours to sit and play a game. I’ve put 15 hours into Darksiders 2 and that has taken me 3 weeks, whereas back in ‘14 I put ~300 hours into Dark Souls 2 in a little over 2 months.

I’ve been finding myself drawn more to fairly linear games, or at least ones where I can make some progress in an hour of play time.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2017, 06:59 PM
What about the lore of AC don't you like?

Games actually take place in the future, but you spend 99% of the time in the past, trying to uncover a secret society that has covered up an alien race predominately on Earth in every major civilization across the planet. That doesn't sound silly to me. It sounds interesting as hell.