PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

megladon8
07-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah, that video of "Prince of Persia" definitely has me sold.

That looks fantastic.

I loved the guy's explanation that it "feels like you're playing a painting".

bac0n
07-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, that video of "Prince of Persia" definitely has me sold.

That looks fantastic.

I loved the guy's explanation that it "feels like you're playing a painting".

Totally. This game wasn't even on my radar until I saw that video. Now it's a must-buy. And the last time I played Prince of Persia... sheesh, it might have been on Amiga or something.

D_Davis
07-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Totally. This game wasn't even on my radar until I saw that video. Now it's a must-buy. And the last time I played Prince of Persia... sheesh, it might have been on Amiga or something.

You should definitely play PoP: The Sands of Time. It is incredible. Just don't touch the two sequels.

Milky Joe
07-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I dunno, I thought the third one was pretty good. Definitely forget Warrior Within even exists, though.

megladon8
07-27-2008, 12:28 AM
I never played either of the sequels, but I thought "Sands of Time" was fantastic back in the day of original X-Box'in.

I also loved the game "Otogi". That was a slam-bang action game.

D_Davis
07-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Otogi rules. The sequel kind of sucks though.

bac0n
07-27-2008, 05:18 AM
You should definitely play PoP: The Sands of Time. It is incredible. Just don't touch the two sequels.

Which console?

Morris Schæffer
07-27-2008, 09:10 AM
So what happened to that XBLA prince of Persia remake? Was it released? Any good?

And yeah, Sands of Time, the only new one I've played, was fantastic!

megladon8
07-27-2008, 01:21 PM
CBR posted new footage from "Spider-Man: Web of Shadows" (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17431)

Um..."holy crap" at the shot of a symbiote Wolverine.

D_Davis
07-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Which console?

Xbox was what I played it on. I don't know if it is backwards compatible on the 360.

Stay Puft
07-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Xbox was what I played it on. I don't know if it is backwards compatible on the 360.

It is, but if I recall you can't unlock and play the original Prince of Persia. Not that it's a big deal, it was just an easter egg and you can readily find it online or...

So what happened to that XBLA prince of Persia remake? Was it released? Any good?

Yup, the remake was released on XBLA a few months ago. I heard it was pretty good. Retains the core experience, polished with some nice 3D visuals. A friend of mine who never played the original bought the XBLA version and loved it. Haven't tried it myself, though.

EyesWideOpen
07-27-2008, 07:31 PM

And yeah, Sands of Time, the only new one I've played, was fantastic!

It's pretty fun. I've had it since it came out and made it about half way through the game but it's also incredibly hard so i'm at a spot which i can't pass.

Morris Schæffer
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm nearing the end of Metroid Prime: Corruption. The mind boggles with regards to how Retro is able to create such a vast, sprawling universe and make it all interconnect flawlessly. I'm hoping this won't be the last of Samus' 3-D adventures.

Skitch
07-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I played all three PoP on PS2...they are excellent, though none are perfect. The original is groundbreaking, though the fighting is really weak. The second the fighting is improved, the platforming insanely upgraded, but some of the levels/bosses are rediculously cheap and annoying. The third lightened up on that, but added some chinzy driving levels that were meh...and the end boss was disappointing. Still, I think all three are worth a play...especially since they are cheap now.

megladon8
07-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm nearing the end of Metroid Prime: Corruption. The mind boggles with regards to how Retro is able to create such a vast, sprawling universe and make it all interconnect flawlessly. I'm hoping this won't be the last of Samus' 3-D adventures.

Yep, this whole series is fantastic.

This is one of the classic franchises that I hope doesn't die off just yet. We need more good sci-fi games.

Dukefrukem
07-28-2008, 05:11 PM
CBR posted new footage from "Spider-Man: Web of Shadows" (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17431)

Um..."holy crap" at the shot of a symbiote Wolverine.

holy crap is right!!!

did they get the same voice of the guy in the animiated series? sounds like it.

megladon8
07-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Um, sorry, but "Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe" looks freaking awesome. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17480)

All you haters can blow me.

Ezee E
07-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Um, sorry, but "Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe" looks freaking awesome. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17480)

All you haters can blow me.
Batman looks like he's a wuss in that game.

Instant fail.

Flash looks like he'll kick ass though.

Dukefrukem
07-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Batman looks like he's a wuss in that game.

Instant fail.

Flash looks like he'll kick ass though.

agreed. plus it's rated T for Teen. EPIC FAIL FOR A MORTAL KOMBAT GAME!

Dukefrukem
07-29-2008, 01:47 AM
:o

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37673.html

megladon8
07-29-2008, 02:04 AM
agreed. plus it's rated T for Teen. EPIC FAIL FOR A MORTAL KOMBAT GAME!

Not really.

Did you watch the video?

The combat looks pretty great. And it's quite bloody.

Dukefrukem
07-29-2008, 02:44 AM
whoa it is rated M... did they change it? i swear it was rated T

megladon8
07-29-2008, 02:46 AM
whoa it is rated M... did they change it? i swear it was rated T

I don't know what it's rated.

But those clips show blood, and the characters getting very bloody/wounded.

The fighting looks like a lot of fun, and the character models are flippin' fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Sven
07-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Batman looks like he's a wuss in that game

I much prefer the classic approach to the outfit to the new super-slick sculpted stuff.

Game looks like any other silly fighter game. I like the falling stuff.

Qrazy
07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Who else is anticipating Fallout 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg9t7uXkLyA

I love post-apocalyptic settings and The Fallout series looks to be rebooting it's franchise in the same way GTA and Resident Evil rebooted theirs... that is to say keeping the good stuff but moving to a 3rd person action/adventure approach.

Qrazy
07-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Gameplay

http://pc.ign.com/articles/893/893437p1.html

Dukefrukem
07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Who else is anticipating Fallout 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg9t7uXkLyA

I love post-apocalyptic settings and The Fallout series looks to be rebooting it's franchise in the same way GTA and Resident Evil rebooted theirs... that is to say keeping the good stuff but moving to a 3rd person action/adventure approach.

The answer should be everyone.

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I am greatly looking forward to Fallout 3. An Oblivion-style game in a far more interesting world? Yes please. And even though the E3 demo was less than stellar, I anticipate that the final product will be awesome.

megladon8
07-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Trailer for "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2: Fusion" (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17489)

That's a DEFINITE BUY for me. The first one rocked the hiz-house.

Though I really don't understand the whole "fusion" idea from that trailer.

origami_mustache
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey dudes with PS3s, the PixelJunk Eden demo is out and it's one of the greatest things EVER MADE. Certainly the best game I've played on the system, as well as the most engrossing, fulfilling, and spiritually-nourishing game i've played since the almighty REZ HD.

I played the demo today...very unique and interesting game...I predict many gaudy graphic t-shirts will be designed after of this game.

Stay Puft
07-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Activision, having acquired Vivendi, is now deciding to drop pretty much every in-development Vivendi property, retaining only established brands of Crash Bandicoot, Ice Ago, and Spyro, as well as Prototype (so that one is still being published, anyways).

That means say goodbye to:

Brutal Legend
Ghostbusters
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Wet
World at Conflict
50 Cent's new game
new Leisure Suit Larry
etc.

Plus a bunch of XBLA games.

What a strange move, although most of those will almost certainly find new publishers. Still bad news, regardless. So many high profile games, too!

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Good thing people still buy Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon games.

My god - two of the worst mascot game franchises ever created. There's Wii shovelware I'd rather play.

Winston*
07-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Good thing people still buy Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon games.

My god - two of the worst mascot game franchises ever created. There's Wii shovelware I'd rather play.

I played all of the Playstation 1 games from those series I think and enjoyed them. Didn't keep going with them when Naughty Dog and Insomniac stopped making them, tho.

Lasse
07-29-2008, 08:43 PM
The first two (maybe three?) Crash games were awesome.

Winston*
07-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Also, Crash Team Racing was totally sweet.

Morris Schæffer
07-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Finished Metroid Prime: Corruption. I took my sweet time, but it was time incredibly well spent. Incredibly well spent!

I guess Metal Gear Solid 4 is next now. Who here has actually played this? What difficulty should I aim for?

Milky Joe
07-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I played it. I'd say start off on normal or hard, depending on your experience with MGS games. though the game plays pretty differently from the other ones so I don't know. I did it on normal and didn't have many problems. you might try hard.

Milky Joe
07-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Also, Crash Team Racing was totally sweet.

This and this. D's hate on Crash is totally unfounded. the PSone Crash games were outstanding platformers, and CTR was the best Kart game of the 32 bit era.

you might as well say that Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter are the worst mascot franchises ever.

Morris Schæffer
07-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Ok thanks Joe!

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
CTR is good, great even, the rest are awful. Totally uninspired, dull, and lifeless excuses for a mascot. It was Sony trying to be Nintendo. One of the best things Sony ever did was ditch the idea of using Crash as a mascot. that idea is a throwback to the 16-bet era.

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
you might as well say that Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter are the worst mascot franchises ever.

Uhm, how about no?

Because they aren't Crash and Spyro, and, more importantly they don't suck (although J&D 2 is really lame). Much better game design, although Ratchet may in fact be one of the most dull characters ever designed. Talk about a character put through focus testing. Might has well have been Poochie the rapping dog from gangster city.

A better comparison for Crash and Sypro would be Aero the Acrobat, Bubsy, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, and so on.

The best thing Crash had going for it was its great graphics. Can't really say anything nice about Spyro.

Milky Joe
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
How are they any different? Cute, fuzzy little bandicoot who spins = cute, fuzzy little dragon who breathes fire = cute fuzzy little... whatever Ratchet is who shoots guns = cute, fuzzy little human guy with a cute, fuzzy little rodent who shoots guns. It's the exact same concept, but with guns. You may think the PS2 games are better (which they are), but the concepts behind them are exactly the same.

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
In terms of level design, play mechanics, and over all game design, J&D (especially the first), and R&C are far better than any of the Crash or Spyro games.

That's what I'm talking about.

On the scale of stupid platform characters, they are all equally lame (except for Clank, he is pretty funny). However, with J&D, and R&C, it wasn't a case of Sony trying desperately to compete with Nintendo for a recognizable franchise/platform character. It felt more like they cared about making good games.

Crash and Spyro both felt totally manufactured, and the game play, IMO, suffered for this. These games were products of Sony not having found their ground yet - they were just trying to be Mario.

With J&D and R&C, it felt as if the games came first, before the need for a Mascot. Not so with Crash or Spyro.

At this time, it was felt as if a company had to have a Mascot. Nintendo had Mario, Sega had Sonic, and Atari had that little Tempest claw ( ;) ). Sony felt like they needed something, and tried way too hard with Crash. The fact that they give him 'tude is testament to this.

Plus, the Crash games just weren't very good. Limited 3D, levels where you ran towards the screen while things chased you from behind (never a fun idea), and totally forgettable characters...the list of things I don't like about Crash can go on and on.

Same for Spyro.

Spyro should have gone away with Croc, another terrible attempt at a mascot-platformer.

Or how about Gex?

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
When we moved out of the 16-bit era, I had just grown totally tired of cute, platforming mascot games. I wanted more out of my 32-bit gaming experience, and games like the first Tomb Raider, and Half Life on the PC, elevated my expectations. That companies were still (are still) trying to do these kinds of games just irks me.

At least it's not as bad as it once was, I mean, even corporate logos were being positioned as mascot platformers!

Dukefrukem
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
finished God of War 2... epic ending!

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
finished God of War 2... epic ending!

I need to get back into this game.

I quit at only about 1/4 way through, I think. I had just beaten that invisible dude in the water.

Winston*
07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh, the game I am playing atm the second Soul Reaver for PS2 btw. Just fyi.

"And then I gazed upon the something of something. What madness was this; some grim memory of the past, or a vision from a dark future yet to be forged?"

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I always wanted to buy the writers of the Soul Reaver games a copy of The Elements of Style, and underline, "Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell."

The games were, for the most part, fun and well made, but damn did they go overboard with the words.

:)

origami_mustache
07-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Never played Spyro, but I still think the Crash games are fun to play.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2008, 01:11 AM
I need to get back into this game.

I quit at only about 1/4 way through, I think. I had just beaten that invisible dude in the water.

There are some really fucking cool bosses after that too. You gotta get back in asap before GoW3 comes out.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 02:42 AM
The original "Spyro the Dragon" was a fantastic game.

EyesWideOpen
07-30-2008, 05:30 AM
The original "Spyro the Dragon" was a fantastic game.

Definitely. I'd much rather play through a mascot platformer then another boring WWII FPS.

Also got the email from Microsoft today and my 360 is on it's way back to me! Being without games for two weeks kind of sucks.

Skitch
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
There are some really fucking cool bosses after that too. You gotta get back in asap before GoW3 comes out.

The giant snake, and the two sister witches were incredible. I need to finish that game too...

Morris Schæffer
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
amazing:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37702.html

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Definitely. I'd much rather play through a mascot platformer then another boring WWII FPS.

I'd rather play neither, I especially don't like boring games.

Spyro was/is crap.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 02:35 PM
amazing:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37702.html

Go! Go! Go! Bionic!

Awesome.

This game can't come soon enough.

This is how to do a retro game.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
FINALLY finished "GTA IV".

That game was great, but man, the last 5 hours or so really dragged.

I was so, so very tired of hearing Niko talk about his past and the war and everything.

He may be the most sympathetic of all the "GTA" characters, but he's also the most annoying.

And I must say, the radio stations were a big letdown this time around. Too little content spread over too many stations.

So last night I started "Condemned: Criminal Origins" - maybe it's because the last few games I've played have looked incredible, but man, this game really isn't too good looking.

Great lighting effects...but the character models all look and move like apes.

Anyways, I'm really not finding it frightening at all, but it is fun so far, and pretty brutal.

Enjoying the forensic side of things, though I wish I had more power over what I'm doing with regards to choosing tools and looking for evidence.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
I bet the divergence in opinions on the original Spyro game is a generational thing. The game came out in 1998 - 10 years ago. Meg, you were like 11 years old then (right?), the perfect age for that game. You probably have fond memories of it and look at it with positive nostalgia. I was around 23 when it came out, and had pretty much moved on from this kind of game - I was definitely not the target market for it.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
I bet the divergence in opinions on the original Spyro game is a generational thing. The game came out in 1998 - 10 years ago. Meg, you were like 11 years old then (right?), the perfect age for that game. You probably have fond memories of it and look at it with positive nostalgia. I was around 23 when it came out, and had pretty much moved on from this kind of game - I was definitely not the target market for it.

Yes, I'm sure this is very true.

Plus, you've never seemed like the platformer type of guy to me, anyways. You're always looking for new, exciting games that expand the medium and do something totally different.

"Spyro" was a great fun game with gorgeous art design, but even for its time it certainly wasn't anything new at all.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I like some platformers. The first Jak game is among my favorites (although not for the characters. The gameplay and the graphics are amazing though). My favorite game of all time is a hybrid-platformer - Tomb Raider 1. I think I'm just tired of the cutesy little furry characters, although I'm sure something will come along and change this opinion. Let's just say, without making generalizations (so I don't look like a total ass), that I don't like the Spyro or Crash games - for many reasons.

Morris Schæffer
07-30-2008, 04:21 PM
!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.creativecoffins.com/

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Iris@Gamer/200807/1217422806_0_3.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Iris@Gamer/200807/1217422806_2_3.jpg

megladon8
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I like some platformers. The first Jak game is among my favorites (although not for the characters. The gameplay and the graphics are amazing though). My favorite game of all time is a hybrid-platformer - Tomb Raider 1. I think I'm just tired of the cutesy little furry characters, although I'm sure something will come along and change this opinion. Let's just say, without making generalizations (so I don't look like a total ass), that I don't like the Spyro or Crash games - for many reasons.

Nah I totally get you, and I wouldn't have pegged you as a fan of either franchise anyways.

You got me into the "Half Life" series, so I'm eternally grateful :)

In gaming news...

Tobias Boon says MK Fatalities to be relaced with "Brutalities" in "MK vs. DC Universe". (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17504)

Sycophant
07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Cardboard coffins = not a bad idea

Those cardboard coffins = bad idea

Sven
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
"Spyro" was a great fun game with gorgeous art design

Really? The Spyro games have always struck me as quite ugly. It's all just blurry green hills and flat trees. There's no variation.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Really? The Spyro games have always struck me as quite ugly. It's all just blurry green hills and flat trees. There's no variation.

Did you play the first one?

That had some of the most beautiful and varied environments of any game I've played.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8281/spyro640wqo3.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5479/spyro2640wnu7.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5797/spyro7640woh4.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2369/spyro11640wbs0.jpg

I've only played this one, and from what I've read/heard the series went quickly downhill.

But I'd never say there's no variation in the environments in that first game. That was one of its greatest strengths - the huge variety in level designs and purdy colours.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Castle Crashes - August 27th - XBLA - finally.

I can't wait. That game rules. Alien Hominid meets Guardian Heroes.

Braid is also coming out next month. August is going to rule for XBLA.

Sven
07-30-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm still not too impressed. Look at the textures of the floor, the blankness of the walls, and the shapes of the buildings and landscapes. Yeah, the colors are slightly varying, but it all feels the exact same to me.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm still not too impressed. Look at the textures of the floor, the blankness of the walls, and the shapes of the buildings and landscapes. Yeah, the colors are slightly varying, but it all feels the exact same to me.

To be fair though, it is a PS1 game - the 32-bit era arguably sports some of the ugliest games around. Those first few years of console games in 3D were pretty hideous. Many SNES games look better.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 06:12 PM

But it's a PS1 game...it's 10 years old.

They didn't have a lot to play around with back then, and all PS1 games were very pixelated and chunky.

Sven
07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I understand that. A good enough reason, but not an excuse.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I understand that. A good enough reason, but not an excuse.

I don't understand this.

Should the game have somehow jumped ahead a few years in technology so that it had today's more varied level designs?

Actually, if anything, I'd say today's games are less interesting visually than the games of yesteryear.

I'd take colourful fantasy landscapes over the drab "everything's in a dark corridor" levels of today's games.

Where did the fun and excitement go? Where did the wildly varying art design, enemy selection and weapon designs go?

I look at a game like "Gears of War" - it is still touted as the best looking game on the 360, yet you look at the textures and colours there, and they only really needed to perfect about two different looks:

-Dark and muddy ruined city
-Dark and muddy caves

It uses brown and grey to evoke "realism", but reality is freaking boring sometimes.

If I wanted reality I'd get one of the millions of the WWII shooters out there, or something like "Call of Duty 4" which manages to bridge the gap between "real" and "interesting" very well with its visual design.

And "Gears of War" had, what, two types of baddies that you fought through 90% of the game?

I have the same problem with the "Halo" games. They're fun as hell, don't get me wrong, but the visual design is so limited. Back when I played the first game, I got really bored with how few enemies there were to fight. It was the same 2 or 3 types of goons barrelling at me over and over and over, with the occasional big, armored guy thrown in for a challenge.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I still like a video game to be a form of escapism.

I have no problem with the occasional realistic shooter - it can be envigorating to feel like you have more on the line, since you can't take 3000 bullets and you have real looking, sounding and feeling weapons and are fighting terrorists or some such thing. But I don't need that all the time.

I want variety in my games, and the variety seems to really be cut down lately.

/totally off-the-rails rant

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I like both, and there is a place for both.

I just got Blue Dragon from Gamefly.

trotchky
07-30-2008, 07:17 PM
PJE will be the second game I get when I get a PS3 - the first will be Everyday Shooter.

Do you have a PC? 'Cause you can get Everyday Shooter off of Steam, don't you know.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I like both, and there is a place for both.

I agree, I thought that seemed clear in what I wrote.

I just don't like that all shooters have this realistic overtone now.

Even the new "Turok" game (which is awful) employed the muddy, real-world textures, and the ability to only carry 2 or 3 weapons at a time.

I miss the days when I could carry 30 different weapons with millions of rounds for each.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Do you have a PC? 'Cause you can get Everyday Shooter off of Steam, don't you know.

Yeah, but I want to play it BIG!

Dukefrukem
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM

I own both Everyday Shooter on steam and the PS3 and it's 10000% better on the PS3... It looks way different... Just my opinion.

Ezee E
07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Back in the X-Box world again. What are the scary games for it?

number8
07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
^Hilarious

Also...

nearly 5-minutes of direct feed PoP in HD, single player walkthrough.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/890664/prince-of-persia-next-gen/videos/princeofpersia_hd_1.html

Holy crap. Best looking game I've ever seen. The art design is just stunning.

Absolute stunner. Game of the year, I think. Seriously.

Sven
07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't like the realistic-looking faces on those PoP characters, but otherwise, good gravy! That boss fight was pretty wicked.

D_Davis
07-31-2008, 01:07 AM
I don't like the realistic-looking faces on those PoP characters, but otherwise, good gravy! That boss fight was pretty wicked.

All the fights in the game are one on one, and take advantage of those cinematic angles and stuff.

EyesWideOpen
07-31-2008, 01:33 AM

I was 19 when it came out and I loved it. I don't think age has anything to do with liking platfomers anymore than age has anything to do with liking animated films.

megladon8
07-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Yahtzee Croshaw's latest "Zero Punctuation" video talks about the trailers of E3. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/157-The-E3-Trailer-Park)

Overall I do have to agree with him.

As awesome as these games look, it's better to go in expecting them to be disappointing. It's a win-win situation, because if they actually are great, then, well, great. But if they suck, you haven't lost anything.

D_Davis
07-31-2008, 04:37 AM
I was 19 when it came out and I loved it. I don't think age has anything to do with liking platfomers anymore than age has anything to do with liking animated films.

Age often tempers nostalgia for certain things though.

And I think that age can have a major impact on liking certain kinds of platformers, or certain kinds of games in general. As an older gamer, I often look for a certain level of maturity, or complexity in my games, just as I do in the things I read and watch. While age doesn't dictate whether or not I will or should like an entire medium - like animation - it does persuade me to seek a certain kind of animation. For instance, while I many not like cartoons such as Skunk Fu, or Dora the Explora, I may like stuff like Ghost in the Shell or LAIN.

megladon8
07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Downloaded the original "Soul Calibur" on XBLA.

It's freaking awesome. Easily one of the best fighting games I've ever played - I can't believe I've shunned this series for so long.

That being said, it kind of pisses me off that the gave has everything unlocked from the beginning on the XBLA version. There's really nothing to earn or to play for.

Morris Schæffer
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Downloaded the original "Soul Calibur" on XBLA.

It's freaking awesome. Easily one of the best fighting games I've ever played - I can't believe I've shunned this series for so long.

Ah, this on the Dreamcast was mindblowing, but I was lucky to have a few pals who were into the game as well. Heated tussles were the results. Singleplayer beat'm-ups are quasi useless although the quest mode of Soul Calibur was a pretty cool extra.

But seriously, I recall seeing the arcade machine of Soul Calibur around the same time that it was released on Sega's console and holy improvement Batman!!

D_Davis
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
It seems as if there were more game announcements at Comic Con than there were at E3.

Between the games and the movies, do people still go to Comic Con for the comic books anymore?

megladon8
08-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Really enjoying both "Soul Cailbur" and "N+".

I could see it being very easy toget carried away purchasing stuff on XBLA.

D_Davis
08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Really enjoying both "Soul Cailbur" and "N+".

I could see it being very easy toget carried away purchasing stuff on XBLA.

N+ rules.

This month is going to rule for XBLA:

Geometry Wars 2 (out now)
1942 (out now)
Bionic Commando
Castle Crashers
Braid (next week)
Galaga Legions

That's awesome.

Dukefrukem
08-01-2008, 07:02 PM
finally on the 7th assassination in assassins creed...

trotchky
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I own both Everyday Shooter on steam and the PS3 and it's 10000% better on the PS3... It looks way different... Just my opinion.

I do too and they look identical to me. :\ Only difference is that keyboard controls SUUUUXXXXXXXX.

megladon8
08-02-2008, 01:18 AM
N+ rules.

This month is going to rule for XBLA:

Geometry Wars 2 (out now)
1942 (out now)
Bionic Commando
Castle Crashers
Braid (next week)
Galaga Legions

That's awesome.

I also really want to try "Aces of the Galaxy" - classic space shooters are totally my thing.

And I love the humor in N+. The sarcasm reminds me a bit of "Portal".

Dukefrukem
08-02-2008, 01:59 AM
I do too and they look identical to me. :\ Only difference is that keyboard controls SUUUUXXXXXXXX.

You playing on an HDTV?

Dukefrukem
08-02-2008, 01:59 AM
I suggest all wolfenstein fans watch this...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37742.html

megladon8
08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Boy oh boy, "N+" sure is a great game.

I've already gotten more than my money's worth, and I've barely scratched the surface. It's a better value than most full-price, store-bought games.

You really could buy a 360 and just buy XBLA games, and have a perfectly good gaming experience.

Winston*
08-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Finished Soul Reaver 2. Pretty half-arsed game on the whole. Step it up, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Interactive.

megladon8
08-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Finished Soul Reaver 2. Pretty half-arsed game on the whole. Step it up, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Interactive.

Never played this one, but the first one flippin' rocked.

Ezee E
08-03-2008, 10:55 PM
There needs to be more puzzle-based games like Portal.

megladon8
08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
There needs to be more puzzle-based games like Portal.

N+

Winston*
08-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Never played this one, but the first one flippin' rocked.
I really enjoyed the first one when I played years back, much more than the sequel. This one had no boss battles, the same fairly small world three times, the only abilities being learned being different coloured soul reaver keys, endless cut scenes (more so than the first one) and absolutely no fucking killing vampires in awesome ways. Disappointing, I say.

Ezee E
08-04-2008, 12:12 AM
N+
This is just on X-Box Live right? How much does it cost?

Stay Puft
08-04-2008, 12:50 AM

I think it's 800 points (or $10). I haven't downloaded it myself.

You can try the PC version for free here:
http://www.stickpage.com/ngame.shtml

Morris Schæffer
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4 is visually tremendous except for the fire effects. I cannot believe how drab that looks.

EyesWideOpen
08-05-2008, 12:33 AM

I'd recommend giving the demo a whirl first or trying the free version on the pc. I blind bought it due to all the positive buzz and was bored with it after 15 minutes.

megladon8
08-05-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm really interested in tryng "Braid".

Acapelli
08-05-2008, 03:12 AM
I think it's 800 points (or $10). I haven't downloaded it myself.

You can try the PC version for free here:
http://www.stickpage.com/ngame.shtml
don't forget that there's a mac version too

D_Davis
08-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Braid looks awesome. I like how it messes with established platform conventions.

megladon8
08-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Braid looks awesome. I like how it messes with established platform conventions.

Yeah, I'll be gettin' that one on the release day.

Wednesday, I think?

IGN says it's one of the best XBLA releases yet.

Dukefrukem
08-05-2008, 03:59 AM
if anyone cares, Uncharted now supports trophies on the PS3...

Skitch
08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I nabbed Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for the 360.

bac0n
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I just did something with a Lazarus Vector in Bioshock. Although it feels I've been playing a while, I can't help but feel I have a long, long way to go.

Ivan Drago
08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Ah, you guys can keep your Bioshock and XBLA. I'm staying old school with my Nintendo 64.

:plays Mario Kart 64:

megladon8
08-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Why is it that "N+" does not feature autosave?

I am getting pretty tired of doing the same levels over and over and over and over in order to advance.

D_Davis
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Why is it that "N+" does not feature autosave?

I am getting pretty tired of doing the same levels over and over and over and over in order to advance.

It saves every 5 levels. Each episode. You can start from level 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.

megladon8
08-05-2008, 07:35 PM
It saves every 5 levels. Each episode. You can start from level 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.

No it doesn't. Or there's something I'm doing wrong.

I can start any episode, but it never saves my times after completing the episode.

When I turn the game off, the next time I play, everything is blank again.

D_Davis
08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
No it doesn't. Or there's something I'm doing wrong.

I can start any episode, but it never saves my times after completing the episode.

When I turn the game off, the next time I play, everything is blank again.

I see what you're saying.

It should be saving your times though.

At least, I think it should. I'll have to check my game when I get home.

Winston*
08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Now I'm playing Black for the PS2. This game's a pleasant antidote to Soul Reaver 2's interminable cut scenes. Nothing but shooting baddies. Have you played this game, Scar? It seems like a Scar kind of game.

Scar
08-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Now I'm playing Black for the PS2. This game's a pleasant antidote to Soul Reaver 2's interminable cut scenes. Nothing but shooting baddies. Have you played this game, Scar? It seems like a Scar kind of game.

Oh dear God yes. Loved that game.

EDIT: I typically would NOT use the full auto function, and would set the guns to semi-automatic, and shoot that way. Could still be damn near full auto, but better control.

Skitch
08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
I too, loved Black. I break it (and Killzone) out every time I just need to shoot some assholes. :)

megladon8
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Got through the first 6 episodes of "N+" last night. I was very pleased.

Came on this morning to continue, only to find that all the levels have, once again, returned to the "LOCKED" setting.

This is really getting on my nerves.

D_Davis
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Got through the first 6 episodes of "N+" last night. I was very pleased.

Came on this morning to continue, only to find that all the levels have, once again, returned to the "LOCKED" setting.

This is really getting on my nerves.

Yeah, I don't know what you're doing. Crazy.

Speaking of N+, holy crap are those new levels awesome. We played through a bunch of the co-op missions last night, and they are some of the most devious and well designed levels I've played in a game. So far there hasn't been a bad one yet.

We also played a bunch of Geometry Wars 2, and it totally rules. I can't believe how smooth everything is in that game, and the particle effects are out of this world. Like N+, G2 seems like a steal at the price.

megladon8
08-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely going to get "Geometry Wars 2". It's wicked.

I downloaded the demo for "Too Human", and talk about disappointing.

Terrible camera - I mean terrible - and the fighting controls are pretty weird.

It's such a cool concept, I just wish it'd been executed a little better.

D_Davis
08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I love the Too Human demo. Played through it about 9 times now.

12 more days until the game gets released - awesome.

It perfectly scratches that Diablo itch, and the combat really is the best way to emulate the mouse-clicks of Diablo. Instead of click, click, click, it's flick, flick, flick. It solves the problems of button-based attacks being dependent on facing, and gives you the freedom of true 360 combat. I love the loot - my God there is a lot of awesome stuff, even in the demo - and by combining the loot with glyphs and ruins I see a ton of possibilities. The skill tree looks pretty interesting as well, and I hear there is a second and perhaps third tree that gets unlocked at certain points in the game.

With the camera - just hit the LB button and it resets, or keep it pulled back to get a better view.

I think it is safe to say that this game appeals to me on a number of levels, and I imagine a lot of hours are going to get sucked away by it.

megladon8
08-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I would've much preferred the "Left Stick = Move, Right Stick = Camera" formula for this game.

And the camera system is borderline broken, anyways.

I would hold down LB so I could move the camera, only to find myself attacking. Even though there are no enemies around, and I was in a neutral position.

It's very frustrating. A 3rd person game should have simple camera controls, no "holding one button down while you maneuver another". That seems like bad design to me.

I'll whip it out again tonight and see if it's any better, but I was playing with it for a good 20 minutes last night, and I was just getting frustrated.

Though it could very well have been my "N+" frustrations carried over :P

D_Davis
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Though it could very well have been my "N+" frustrations carried over :P

I doubt it. A lot of people don't like it. I definitely seem to be in the minority on this one. I love loot-finding games, and I have been jonsin' for a more SF based one - something like the original Phantasy Star Online. Too Human is pretty much tailor maid for me.

I don't expect it to review very well, but I hope it sells enough copies for SK to finish the trilogy.

I don't understand why you need to move the camera so much, though.

EyesWideOpen
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm loving Braid so far, beautiful looking game. I'm through worlds 2 and 3 and have gotten all the puzzle pieces for them.

megladon8
08-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Trailer for a game called "Damnation" (http://c.pcmovies.ign.com/pc/video/article/896/896925/Damnation_080608_qtlowwide.mov )

Looks like it could be fun.

I really like the almost steam-punk style.

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm loving Braid so far, beautiful looking game. I'm through worlds 2 and 3 and have gotten all the puzzle pieces for them.

Nice. I dl'ed it, but I am on my way to band practice so I won't be able to play it until later.

It looks fantastic.

megladon8
08-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah, I, too, am enjoying "Braid" a lot.

The worls are gorgeous. I'm glad we haven't seen the end of 2D gaming, because this is where some of the most beautiful art design has come about, IMO.

And good luck and band practice, D!

Stay Puft
08-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Braid is, indeed, a gorgeous, atmospheric game. I love the way it opens cold, with a title screen that turns out to be the game itself, your character shrouded in darkness and slowly stepping into the lit house.

Also been playing a lot of the new Geometry Wars, Retro Evolved 2. Good fun, as always, and great music. Love the remix of the Retro Evolved theme.

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 05:25 AM
My friend came over last night, and, while logged into my XBL profile, he proceeded to score 42,000,000+ on G2 Evolved. So basically, I have a high score now that I will never be ever to actually get again.

:|

megladon8
08-07-2008, 12:47 PM
"Champions Online" is gonna rock.

bac0n
08-07-2008, 02:15 PM
"Champions Online" is gonna rock.

Word. I can't wait. Everything I've seen of this game has been VERY promising.

megladon8
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Word. I can't wait. Everything I've seen of this game has been VERY promising.

Yep.

Though I'm thinking it'll be a pay-by-month/year type of thing. I'm hoping the cost isn't too steep.

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
If Champions Online is half as good as Champions offline, we're in for one awesome game.

Speaking of awesome, Geometry Wars 2 is.

Pacifism mode is tops. Oh man is that ever fun. Got 24,000,000+ last night. I am totally addicted.

bac0n
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
If Champions Online is half as good as Champions offline, we're in for one awesome game.

Speaking of awesome, Geometry Wars 2 is.

Pacifism mode is tops. Oh man is that ever fun. Got 24,000,000+ last night. I am totally addicted.

I'll have to put that in the queue, right after Rez HD & N+... but in the meantime, I'm completely hooked on Bioshock.

If I knew the "XBox Experience" was this awesome, I woulda boughta one months ago.

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 03:25 PM
If I knew the "XBox Experience" was this awesome, I woulda boughta one months ago.

The 360 is awesome. So many good games. Right now, there are too many, with at least one awesome XBLA game coming out every week. It's insane. And were not even to the holiday season yet!

number8
08-07-2008, 06:42 PM
I've never done this for a video game before, but I've decided to not watch a single trailer or gameplay video for Fatal Frame III, because I want every scare in the game to be new when I play it.

Ezee E
08-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Are the Fatal Frame games for X-Box 360?

number8
Haha, Tycho (from Penny Arcade):

I've been reserving a portion of my consciousness for Fatal Frame on the Wii, with the thought that its core gameplay (killing ghosts with cameras) would be vastly improved by a pointing device. I always forget when I buy these Goddamned games how horrifying they are, and watching a few videos of the new one has convinced me not to buy it, so maybe this isn't good marketing. The menacing spectres often have something about them that is... wrong, on some level, which is how Japanese horror in general does its business. The sympathy the game evokes for these things is inexplicably potent. But it was the audio in those clips, just as it was in previous games, that made playing the game impossible. I pulled the second Fatal Frame out of the disc tray and threw it across the room, once. I had to make absolutely sure that it wouldn't get back in.

number8
Are the Fatal Frame games for X-Box 360?

The second one was out for the original XBox. This new one will be on 360.

Morris Schæffer
08-07-2008, 08:20 PM
I've never done this for a video game before, but I've decided to not watch a single trailer or gameplay video for Fatal Frame III, because I want every scare in the game to be new when I play it.

You will get it for the Wii or Xbox 360? I think I'm going to buy it as well. It does sound rather terrifying, the absence of firepower refreshing. What's odd is that I've checked both gamerankings.com en gametrailers.com and neither mention a new Fatal Frame for next-gen consoles except one for the Wii, Mask of the Lunar Eclipse.

http://www.gametrailers.com/search.php?s=fatal+frame

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/itemsearch.asp

??

number8
08-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I think I was mistaken. I seem to remember that they were going to release it for 360, but apparently it's a Wii exclusive since Nintendo is publishing it. Cool by me, since that's the one I was planning to get anyway. :P

Also, I kept calling it Fatal Frame III when it's Fatal Frame IV. I remember why now. Fatal Frame III was sort of disappointing and I forgot I played it.

Morris Schæffer
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
There you go. Still, perhaps another reason to dust off the Wii because after Metroid Prime: Corruption, I wasn't sure what else was on the horizon.:)

megladon8
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Can someone shed some light on Amazon's mind-boggling way of stocking/selling video games?

It seems like they only order in a few copies of each game, and when those sell, they are never re-stocked.

Battlefield: Bad Company (http://www.amazon.ca/Battlefield-Bad-Company/dp/B000WSE2WM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1218148145&sr=8-2)

Skate (http://www.amazon.ca/Skate/dp/B000P0XA4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1218148310&sr=1-1)

Call of Duty 4 (http://www.amazon.ca/Call-Duty-4-Modern-Warfare/dp/B000TG530M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1218148372&sr=8-1)

Rainbow Six: Vegas (http://www.amazon.ca/Tom-Clancys-Rainbow-Six-Vegas/dp/B000G7PMXC/ref=pd_sbs_vg_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1218148372&sr=8-1)

GRAW 2 (http://www.amazon.ca/Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Advanced-Warfighter/dp/B000LXIO6I/ref=cm_lmf_tit_6_rdssss0)

Most of these are fairly new games...I see no reason why they should already be unavailable.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Can someone shed some light on Amazon's mind-boggling way of stocking/selling video games?

It seems like they only order in a few copies of each game, and when those sell, they are never re-stocked.

Battlefield: Bad Company (http://www.amazon.ca/Battlefield-Bad-Company/dp/B000WSE2WM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1218148145&sr=8-2)

Skate (http://www.amazon.ca/Skate/dp/B000P0XA4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1218148310&sr=1-1)

Call of Duty 4 (http://www.amazon.ca/Call-Duty-4-Modern-Warfare/dp/B000TG530M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1218148372&sr=8-1)

Rainbow Six: Vegas (http://www.amazon.ca/Tom-Clancys-Rainbow-Six-Vegas/dp/B000G7PMXC/ref=pd_sbs_vg_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1218148372&sr=8-1)

GRAW 2 (http://www.amazon.ca/Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Advanced-Warfighter/dp/B000LXIO6I/ref=cm_lmf_tit_6_rdssss0)

Most of these are fairly new games...I see no reason why they should already be unavailable.

Do you have a problem buying from NON Amazon people?

megladon8
08-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Do you have a problem buying from NON Amazon people?

You mean the Amazon marketplace?

Yes. Because they're all in the USA, and I'm in Canada, and they charge ridiculous amounts for shipping.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2008, 10:40 PM
You mean the Amazon marketplace?

Yes. Because they're all in the USA, and I'm in Canada, and they charge ridiculous amounts for shipping.

Ahhh. That makes sense then. I never really thought about that but is just seems like Amazon is lazy to restock games.

D_Davis
08-07-2008, 10:41 PM
CoD4 costs $149 in Canada?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B000TG530M/ref=dp_olp_2/701-9502297-3069117?ie=UTF8&qid=1218148372&sr=8-1

Holy shit.

I'd move.

bac0n
08-09-2008, 05:40 PM
So, last night I played the demo of Geometry Wars 2 I had downloaded off of XBLA. Cool game, although I had to stop playing after awhile lest the acid flashbacks I was having graduate to full-blown aneurysms.

:cool:

Does the game play very in the purchased version, or is it just you scampering around a room as progressively more and more things show up to try and kill you? Do the rooms change? Do the enemies change? Why does it hurt when I pee?

Ezee E
08-09-2008, 07:13 PM
X-Box live is activated. Please PM me your names.

bac0n
08-09-2008, 07:24 PM
X-Box live is activated. Please PM me your names.

And while you're at it, if any of you wanna PM me your names too, that would be most appreciated.

D_Davis
08-09-2008, 11:36 PM
So, last night I played the demo of Geometry Wars 2 I had downloaded off of XBLA. Cool game, although I had to stop playing after awhile lest the acid flashbacks I was having graduate to full-blown aneurysms.

:cool:

Does the game play very in the purchased version, or is it just you scampering around a room as progressively more and more things show up to try and kill you? Do the rooms change? Do the enemies change? Why does it hurt when I pee?

Just buy it - it rules.

Second best $10 you'll spend on an XBLA game (first being N+).

megladon8
08-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, "Geometry Wars 2" looks amazing on the new TV.

I just need to get a an extension cord so I can plug the 360 into the receiver and use surround sound. The sound from the TV speakers isn't too good.

megladon8
08-10-2008, 03:33 AM
"Geometry Wars 2" is proving to be one of the most addictive games I've played since "N+"! :)

Would it be wrong of me to say I find its visuals more impressive than something like "Gears of War"?

Sven
08-10-2008, 03:41 AM
So tell me what the best XBLA games to get are. I've got N+, Geometry Wars, Ikaruga, and Rez. I am planning to get Geometry Wars 2 in the very near future. Any other staples?

megladon8
08-10-2008, 03:43 AM
So tell me what the best XBLA games to get are. I've got N+, Geometry Wars, Ikaruga, and Rez. I am planning to get Geometry Wars 2 in the very near future. Any other staples?

"Braid" definitely. A really cool puzzle game, with gorgeous 2D graphics.

And if you like fighting games, I'm really enjoying "Soul Calibur".

If you're into RPGs and/or puzzle games, apparently "Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords" is pretty great. I've never played it, myself.

EyesWideOpen
08-10-2008, 04:09 AM
my favorite XBLA game hands down is Puzzle Quest. i put more hours into that game then the other 30 or so XBLA games i own combined.

Morris Schæffer
08-10-2008, 09:41 AM

From this wednesday, it could very likely be Bionic Commando Rearmed. Perhaps not as unique as "Braid" and "Rez" but it looks like the hawtest XBLA release evah!

megladon8
08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't really give a flying fart about "Street Fighter IV".

Also, who the hell is this? Freaking Doc Manhattan?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/677/12ba0.jpg

number8
08-10-2008, 07:22 PM
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't really give a flying fart about "Street Fighter IV".

That's unfortunate. It's going to be teh rulz.

Morris Schæffer
08-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Playing Streetfighter 2: The World Warrior for the Snes sixteen years ago was one of the great gaming moments of my life. As an experience, an eye-opener (arcade-perfection at home!!!) it was unmatched by any of the successors. Indeed, most beat'em sequels are all about perfecting an existing formula, adding a few new names, a few new stages etc... Lord knows there have been numerous Streetfighter games.

Streetfighter 4 doesn't appear to stray from that path, but it sure looks dazzling. Perhaps I'm gonna get it after all for the Xbox 360, but I will expect nothing less than arcade perfection.

Skitch
08-10-2008, 08:33 PM
That's unfortunate. It's going to be teh rulz.

It's the first one I've been excited about since Alpha.

megladon8
08-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Would someone mind helping me out a bit with "Braid"? I just can't seem to "get it".

I haven't been able to finish any of the worlds. For example, in World 2 (the first one you get to explore), the second or third stage is called "The Cloud Bridge".

In this stage, you first collect a key so that you can jump up and unlock the door that allows you to use the cloud bridge.

Near the end of the level, there is the jigsaw puzzle. And right after the jigsaw puzzle, there is the end of the stage, and two puzzle pieces - one is up high on a ledge, and the other is just out of jumping reach, above the door to the next stage.

How the hell do I get these last two pieces in this stage? What am I missing about the game mechanics? I just can't figure it out.

D_Davis
08-11-2008, 12:32 AM

Assault Heroes 1 and 2 are both good shooters.

Puzzle Quest is awesome - but I've only played the DS version.

Lumines is amazing if you like puzzled games and cool music (made by the dude who made Rez)

I also like the Mutant Storm games - fun, but nothing great.

Castle Crashers is coming out very soon, and that is going to rule - hard.

Pac Man CE is pretty cool.

Stay Puft
08-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Lumines is great, as is Pac Man CE. Two of my favorite XBLA games.

How the hell do I get these last two pieces in this stage? What am I missing about the game mechanics? I just can't figure it out.

Ah, this was the coolest surprise so far. I don't really want to spoil it, but...

The painting (or jigsaw puzzle) itself can be used to your advantage. Study it closely.

D_Davis
08-11-2008, 03:35 AM
Ah, this was the coolest surprise so far. I don't really want to spoil it, but...

The painting (or jigsaw puzzle) itself can be used to your advantage. Study it closely.

Yep.

I just finished the first two worlds completely. It's awesome how stuff just dawns on you, and you have an "A ha!" moment.

Remember, stuff that is flashing in green is not effected by time manipulation.

Morris Schæffer
08-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Download Braid just now. Will give it a go soon.

Winston*
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Finished Black. Died like a dozen times at the final bit. I liked the bit of the game where I shot the dudes with the guns. Also liked how it was short so I could finish it in the week I had it out from the video store without too much play. I give it the Winston* thumbs up!

Scar
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Finished Black. Died like a dozen times at the final bit. I liked the bit of the game where I shot the dudes with the guns. Also liked how it was short so I could finish it in the week I had it out from the video store without too much play. I give it the Winston* thumbs up!

First time I played the Bridge sequence near the end, I cleared half of it, came running off the top of the bridge right into a bunch of land mines.

Yeah, I was pissed.

megladon8
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
"Braid" is just starting to piss me off now.

I feel like Lisa in that episode of "The Simpsons" where everyone got the puzzle except her.

I still can't even figure out "The Cloud Bridge" level in World 2, or the level right after that called "Hunt".

I think I'm too stupid for this game.

D_Davis
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Braid Clues

The Hunt - clue - if you jump on an enemy from a higher distance, you get more bounce.

The Cloud Bridge - I think you have to return to it after you get 2 certain puzzle pieces from the other levels in the same world.

I'm stuck on the second Hunt right now, in the forwards backwards world.

My God this world is wicked.

D_Davis
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Man, I can't believe how good that Dead Space game looks.

megladon8
08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm going to resist looking at the spoilers until later today. After I'm done working on the computer for a bit, I'm going to go give it another shot.

If I get mind-numbingly frustrated again, I'll come back here and look.

I just really don't have the mind for this game.

Though it's definitely gorgeous. I might even say it's one of the best looking 360 games, XBLA or not.

megladon8
08-11-2008, 02:55 PM
And "Geometry Wars" continues to be more addictive than the drugs it makes you feel like you're on.

Dukefrukem
08-11-2008, 04:29 PM
god damn. I'm trying to be uncharted on CRUSHING mode.. it's so hard it's not even fun now....

D_Davis
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
And "Geometry Wars" continues to be more addictive than the drugs it makes you feel like you're on.

Yep.

By the way, as stated earlier, that 45 mil on Evolved mode is not my score - it is my jerk ass friend who played on my profile and had the best game he's ever had. I can score around 10, tops on that mode.

I deleted the game from my HD and tried to reset the scores, but apparently the scores are stored on some server.

Sucks.

The 94 mil on Pacifism is mine though. I love this mode. My friend is closing in though with 88 mil. I need to get past 100 mil this week.

megladon8
08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
YES!

I finally beat World 2 of "Braid", and am onto "World 3".

It felt like something just suddenly "clicked" and I got the way the game is trying to get you to think.

It's really a totally different way of thinking about solving a 2D platformer puzzle. Very outside the box, as cliché as that statement is.

"World 3" has me stuck again, but at least now I know that there's an answer in sight, and I can get it if I am patient.

I love the music in the levels. Fits the visual style nicely, and is surprisingly evocative, emotionally.

megladon8
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Finished "World 3", and onto "World 4" now - with only one piece to go before I complete it.

It's a tricky game, and I've wanted to smash the controller a few times, but it's so satisfying when you figure out a puzzle that's been tormenting you.

number8
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Haha, Gears of War 2 has a content filter which turns blood sprays into sparks and changes the dialogue to an alternate family-friendly audio track, effectively turning it into a T game.

Saya
08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Finally bought Rock Band (game only), but it seems that the wireless headset is not working as a mic. I can't connect it as a controller. :sad:

Morris Schæffer
08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I can't believe the final hour of Metal Gear Solid 4 actually got to me, cut scenes and all. The final fight against Liquid was rather clunky - not exactly a Kojima version of Soul Calibur - but seeing these two legendary opponents slug it out, complete with a slow-mo denouement was fucking epic!

Heck, I'd love to see a kickass Metal Gear movie. Now more than ever.

EDIT: But the epilogue goes on and on and on and on and on and on. Goddamit! End already!!

EDIT 2: Lol. Still going. STOP!!!!!!!!!

Justin
08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I am doing the Quake Live beta test, and wow. This game runs unbelievably smooth for a game being run in a browser. Not to mention it shows off the fact that Quake 3 Arena still looks pretty good to this day.

Scar
08-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Picked up Tiger Woods 08 on the cheap. I rarely, if ever, golf, but I love the hell out of these games.

Milky Joe
08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I can't believe the final hour of Metal Gear Solid 4 actually got to me, cut scenes and all. The final fight against Liquid was rather clunky - not exactly a Kojima version of Soul Calibur - but seeing these two legendary opponents slug it out, complete with a slow-mo denouement was fucking epic!

EDIT: But the epilogue goes on and on and on and on and on and on. Goddamit! End already!!

Heh, this post is pretty similar to my reaction. At first I thought, "why the hell are they fighting?" But then I realized, "because that's what they fucking do."

megladon8
08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Jeez, "Condemned" is really starting to creep me out.

I believe it was Chapter 4 where I was inside a condemned (HUZZAH!) mall, and when I walked by an escalator I heard a loud thump, and turned around to see a body had been thrown down, and it had a piece of paper stapled to it with "LEAVE" written on it.

That was pretty unnerving.

Sycophant
08-12-2008, 09:43 PM
When Rock Band or some similar program gets a heavy dose of ELO either bundled or DLC, then I'm in.

bac0n
08-12-2008, 09:59 PM
When Rock Band or some similar program gets a heavy dose of ELO either bundled or DLC, then I'm in.

Oh man. Don't Bring Me Down in Rockband? That would blow my mind.

Sycophant
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Oh man. Don't Bring Me Down in Rockband? That would blow my mind.
This is what I'm saying.

Feel free to replace "Don't Bring Me Down" with "Sweet Is the Night," "Poor Boy," "Do Ya," "Mr. Blue Sky," or pretty much any ELO song.

Would buy full discography DLC.

Ivan Drago
08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Oh how I would love ELO in Rock Band.

But I'm STILL waiting for Layla to be in either Rock Band or Guitar Hero: World Tour.

monolith94
08-13-2008, 05:53 AM
To whomever recommended that people play "n game": damn you. My sore, sore wrists blame YOU. Ow, ow, ow, this is one of the few times a game has physically hurt me.

Right now I'm stuck on this screen:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/monolith95/capture.jpg

I know HOW to do it, I just can't seem to get it all together. I can do each individual part of the problem, I just can't seem to get them all in one attempt.

Morris Schæffer
08-13-2008, 09:50 AM
BIONIC COMMANDO REARMED IS AVAILABLE ON XBLA!!!

origami_mustache
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM

the split screen sequence towards the end was one of my favorite video game moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJTnsPZpBnI&feature=related

Morris Schæffer
08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
the split screen sequence towards the end was one of my favorite video game moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJTnsPZpBnI&feature=related

Ah yes, this one. :) Not sure I applaud the, uh, odd gameplay, but it definitely elicited an emotional response from me. Great soundtrack too!

megladon8
08-13-2008, 11:43 AM
When it comes to ELO, there's only one way to go.

Evil Woman

Dukefrukem
08-14-2008, 02:32 PM

LOL!

So when you say it got you... you mean you loved it right?

megladon8
08-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm realling enjoying "Bionic Commando: Re-Armed".

Not "the best XBLA game ever" as IGN touts it, but it's a pretty great little sidescroller with some nice looks.

shaun
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Changed the cover insert of my Madden to a clearly more awesome version.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/madden/madden09/pdf/favre/179863_C4_SLP_clean_ps3.pdf

Ezee E
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Changed the cover insert of my Madden to a clearly more awesome version.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/madden/madden09/pdf/favre/179863_C4_SLP_clean_ps3.pdf
A Jet on the cover of Madden. Who'd have ever thought

Saya
08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Sweet, Mikami and Suda are working together on a new game. Can't wait to see what happens.

Morris Schæffer
08-15-2008, 09:43 AM
LOL!

So when you say it got you... you mean you loved it right?

Well, I mean that it genuinely tugged a little at my heartstrings. That whole futility of war thing. Basically, I found myself surprisingly engaged by the plethora of cutscenes toward the end except for the last one with Big Boss.

megladon8
08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I find the mission structure of "Bionic Commando: Re-Armed" pretty confusing.

Area 1...then Area 4...then Area 13...do the Japanese count differently than us, or something?

megladon8
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Woo-hoo! I beat World 5 in "Braid"!

On to World 6.

Loving this game so much. I don't know why some reviews have stated that it has no replay value - I could see playing through this many, many times, just like "Portal".

megladon8
08-15-2008, 08:24 PM
It was announced a little while ago that Eidos is working on "Batman: Arkham Asylum" - a detective/melee combat game, with a script written by Paul Dini.

And these screens were released...

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/5818/16noscalexa6.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5679/03noscaleqj9.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2144/05noscaledf7.jpg

This looks awesome.

EyesWideOpen
08-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Theirs a huge article in the latest issue of Game Informer on it and it looks and sounds fantastic. According to the developers the game is going to focus heavily on his detective skills and use a sort of scanning objects system similar to the Metroid Prime series.

megladon8
08-15-2008, 08:51 PM
It'll be nice to have a Batman game done right for once.

*crosses fingers*

Morris Schæffer
08-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Woo-hoo! I beat World 5 in "Braid"!

On to World 6.

Loving this game so much. I don't know why some reviews have stated that it has no replay value - I could see playing through this many, many times, just like "Portal".

I share your enthusiasm wholeheartedly. Today I had some real eye-opening moments. Things suddenly clicked although I've little doubt some real mindfucks are yet to be hurled my way in worlds 3~6. Still, it's dying all the time that usually frustrates me in videogaming. Stuff like Braid I find immensely stimulating. There was a bit in the game with a puzzle on the landscape like this here, but a different area:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/822/822327/braid-20070921080610622.jpg

The puzzle was nearly complete and I thought little of it, thinking it was merely a piece of decoration. There was a puzzle fragment on the other side of a platform and the gap was too wide to attempt a jump. There was a critter nearby and I naturally assumed that I had to jump on its head to propel me higher up. To no avail however. Then I jumped again out of desperation and my jaw dropped. I was standing in the puzzle! A platform in the puzzle was an actual part of the landscape and rotating it in the correct position allowed me to reach the other side!

The batman pics look promising, but because The Dark knight rocks so much, I certainly hope that the game will mirror Nolan's flick rather than going all out with huge bosses and grotesque situations. Looks fairly encouraging then.

EDIT: Replay value? Braid? That I do not understand at all.

number8
08-15-2008, 09:43 PM
My, that looks pretty.

D_Davis
08-15-2008, 09:48 PM
How's Wiifit coming 8?

Saya
08-15-2008, 10:23 PM
New Tomb Raider: Underworld trailer (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/tombraider8/video/6196040/tomb-raider-underworld-uk-official-trailer-3)

And new screens (not really spoilerish but kinda big):

http://i35.tinypic.com/2mrtj7l.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/67uxz6.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ps2hds.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/2a7cye0.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/10540zk.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/psydf.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9182/1536_0011.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9182/1536_0013.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9182/1536_0008.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9182/1536_0010.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9182/1536_0009.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/9182/1536_0007.jpg

megladon8
08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
While "Tomb Raider" is a series that desperately needs to die, that tiger is mighty pretty.

D_Davis
08-15-2008, 10:28 PM
While "Tomb Raider" is a series that desperately needs to die, that tiger is mighty pretty.

Legends and Anniversary are fantastic.

Anniversary made my favorite game of all time even better.

This new one looks like it is shaping up quite well.

megladon8
08-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Legends and Anniversary are fantastic.

Anniversary made my favorite game of all time even better.

This new one looks like it is shaping up quite well.

To be fair, I kind of hate "Tomb Raider" because my dad bought it for me like 9 years ago, and the entire time I played it I had a gastro-intestinal infection, and was running off to the bathroom to puke every 15 minutes.

So every time I see/think of "Tomb Raider", it reminds me of being sick.

D_Davis
08-15-2008, 10:34 PM
To be fair, I kind of hate "Tomb Raider" because my dad bought it for me like 9 years ago, and the entire time I played it I had a gastro-intestinal infection, and was running off to the bathroom to puke every 15 minutes.

So every time I see/think of "Tomb Raider", it reminds me of being sick.

TMI, dude, TMI.

Morris Schæffer
08-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Those TR screens look fantastic! I might have to get back into this franchise.

megladon8
08-15-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm still really enjoying "Geometry Wars", though I really suck at it.

Especially Pacifism - I can barely get to 1 million points.

Anyone have any tips for better success in this game (Pacifism or otherwise)?

D_Davis
08-16-2008, 02:10 AM
I am officially retiring from competitive Geometry Wars 2 playing. I played all freaking day on Tuesday and I could not top my scores. I started getting super pissed, and I realized it was stupid for me to get so mad at a dumb game.

I'm done.

Saya
08-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Some more Arkham Asylum screens:

http://i35.tinypic.com/28gukbl_th.jpg (http://i35.tinypic.com/28gukbl.jpg) http://i34.tinypic.com/id7xb4_th.jpg (http://i34.tinypic.com/id7xb4.jpg) http://i34.tinypic.com/148iuxd_th.jpg (http://i34.tinypic.com/148iuxd.jpg) http://i38.tinypic.com/2j5yssx_th.jpg (http://i38.tinypic.com/2j5yssx.jpg)

http://i36.tinypic.com/5dv5sw_th.jpg (http://i36.tinypic.com/5dv5sw.jpg) http://i35.tinypic.com/sljonn_th.jpg (http://i35.tinypic.com/sljonn.jpg) http://i38.tinypic.com/crp77_th.jpg (http://i38.tinypic.com/crp77.jpg) http://i38.tinypic.com/rl9umq_th.jpg (http://i38.tinypic.com/rl9umq.jpg)

http://i33.tinypic.com/2wdx1e9_th.jpg (http://i33.tinypic.com/2wdx1e9.jpg) http://i37.tinypic.com/54r6d_th.jpg (http://i37.tinypic.com/54r6d.jpg) http://i38.tinypic.com/9u9c07_th.jpg (http://i38.tinypic.com/9u9c07.jpg) http://i38.tinypic.com/rk37lz_th.jpg (http://i38.tinypic.com/rk37lz.jpg)

http://i38.tinypic.com/mwrswo_th.jpg (http://i38.tinypic.com/mwrswo.jpg) http://i36.tinypic.com/2i0zvol_th.jpg (http://i36.tinypic.com/2i0zvol.jpg) http://i35.tinypic.com/27zx281_th.jpg (http://i35.tinypic.com/27zx281.jpg) http://i35.tinypic.com/16qgr4_th.jpg (http://i35.tinypic.com/16qgr4.jpg)

Dukefrukem
08-16-2008, 06:02 PM
:o

megladon8
08-17-2008, 04:18 PM
My friends had multiple orgasms playing "Braid" last night.

Though I think it's kind of lame that you can't have more than one game going at a time.

I was at World 6, and they really weren't understanding the game, so we started a new one so they could see it from the start, and it erased all my progress so far.

That seems like an unnecessary inconvenience.

megladon8
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm glad GameSpot had the balls to not give a perfect review of "Bionic Commando: Re-Armed". I don't get all this "BEST GAME ON XBLA EVAAAHHHH" stuff that IGN and other sites are heaping on it.

Like GameSpot says, it looks great, is fun and addictive, but the top-down levels get pretty annoying, the mission-selection is needlessly weird, and yes, the controls are damn clunky.

Milky Joe
08-18-2008, 01:45 AM
Unfinished games from Cactus. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXyTScLe7g)

This guy is an artist. He and people like him are what gives me hope for the future of this medium.

bac0n
08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Has anybody played that new Civilization game for the XBox (and maybe other platforms as well but who cares about them haha pwned) ??

I have fond memories of playing Civ1 back in, like 1991 on my slow-ass 8086, where towards the end of a game it would take in excess of 45 minutes to go through a single round of play.

It's probably gotten a bit more sophisticated since then, tho, and I'd love to hear if anyone can recommend it or recommend I stay away from it.

D_Davis
08-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I have not played CivRev, but I've heard a ton of good things about it and I plan on picking it up when the price goes down. I definitely want to play it.

Scar
08-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Has anybody played that new Civilization game for the XBox (and maybe other platforms as well but who cares about them haha pwned) ??

I have fond memories of playing Civ1 back in, like 1991 on my slow-ass 8086, where towards the end of a game it would take in excess of 45 minutes to go through a single round of play.

It's probably gotten a bit more sophisticated since then, tho, and I'd love to hear if anyone can recommend it or recommend I stay away from it.

I hear they've trimmed a bit out of it. I think its Civ3 I have at home that I can piss away a weekend on. There are reviews for CivRev over at ign.

monolith94
08-18-2008, 03:22 PM
civ 4 is so great – back several pages or so I posted screens from a game I had where I illustrated what it was like to play. And using matchcut names for cities, of course.

edit: here it is:
http://www.match-cut.org/showthread.php?p=7523#post7523

Dukefrukem
08-18-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm replaying max payne for the movie..

Sycophant
08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Bought five games this weekend:
Contra 4 (DS) - Never played Contra before. The couple minutes I played of this were fun.
Mega Man X Collection (Gamecube) - I've never played this series beyond the first one, so this should be fun.
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (Gamecube) - Because I haven't played a PoP game after the days of CGA graphics.
Metroid Prime (Gamecube) - 'Cause it's about friggin' time.
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii) - I was curious; it was cheap. It's also the only one I've spent a lot of time with now (a couple hours last night). I'm still getting used to the gameplay mechanics, but overall, I rather like how it's put together. We'll see if it keeps my interest. But it just might. I actually elected to not save my progress after completing a mission last night because I'd killed too many bystanders and mobsters.

Morris Schæffer
08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm glad GameSpot had the balls to not give a perfect review of "Bionic Commando: Re-Armed". I don't get all this "BEST GAME ON XBLA EVAAAHHHH" stuff that IGN and other sites are heaping on it.

I don't think IGN gave the game a perfect review either.

While I love the swinging elements in BCR, I can't ignore one issue. The D-Pad, particularly on Xbox 360, is not always the friendliest thing. Radd's bionic arm can shoot straight forward, allowing you to grab at items or even make a horizontal zip to another platform. But this move is not always reliable. I've had more than a few occasions where the straight arm shot went diagonal or didn't go at all. This happens from time to time. I had more issue with this than other people, but when I watched them play for a bit, I saw that -- here and there -- the arm did not shoot out when they were trying to fire straight.

More of an issue comes from the world map. On the map, you must choose a direction to move your helicopter -- be it to a friendly zone or enemy territory. There are enemy trucks patrolling the map as well. Quite often, I would try and go diagonally on the map, only to go in the wrong direction. And that kind of mistake can run you into an enemy, which forces you to land and experience the top-down enemy encounter portion of BCR. While it's fun to run around Contra-style for a few minutes, it gets a little old. Especially when you're forced into an encounter because you're going in a direction you didn't mean to select.

and:

The four-player offline competitive multiplayer isn't nearly as exciting. It's a bit of a riff on Smash Bros. Though saying that might make people inclined to think it's comparable to Smash Bros. It's not. The three modes (Deathmatch, Last Man Standing, and Don't Touch the Floor) are enjoyable, but won't hold your attention for long. Don't Touch the Floor is the best and has competitors trying to knock one another off the map Smash Bros.-style. Though a fun distraction, it is just a distraction.

Their high scores for the audio-visual package are entirely understandable. It does look like one of the best updates of a classic in a really long time. Indeed, as an offering for XBLA, it does look like an extremely polished and beefy package. Doesn't mean that Geometry Wars 2 can't be more addictive or that Braid isn't more original, but I can see how someone might justifiably feel that BCR is the best XBLA offering thus far.

megladon8
08-18-2008, 05:30 PM
But I didn't say IGN gave it a perfect review. They said it's the best game on XBLA, and I must heartily disagree.

They gave it a 9.4 rating, which is pretty damn high. And Giant Bomb gave it 5/5.

I'm just not too impressed with it so far. I was really sucked in by the shiny presentation at first, but the gameplay just isn't all that fun. It's cheap in its difficulty - I like a challenge, and I like that feeling of being really frustrated but finally figuring out what I have to do. However, so far I've encountered several situations where getting damage is pretty much impossible to avoid, and I don't think that makes for a very balanced, fun gaming experience.

D_Davis
08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
So far, I've been pretty impressed with BCR. I love the little moments where they poke fun at the old game. It definitely brings back a ton of memories of my friend Darius and me sitting in his garage/bedroom playing the original.

The music is especially awesome.

I'm not very far into it, but I think it's pretty dang cool.

I still think N+ is the best XBLA game.

By the way meg, with N+, you have to exit all the way back to the game's main menu for it to save your progress.

megladon8
08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
By the way meg, with N+, you have to exit all the way back to the game's main menu for it to save your progress.

Thank you!! You're the best :)

D_Davis
08-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Thank you!! You're the best :)

No prob - it happened to me the other night, and I totally forgot about this little quirk.

Qrazy
08-18-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm almost done Fallout 2. I was addicted for about 2 days and then for some reason I just wanted it to be done (although I was enjoying it) so I've kind of stopped. I have 2 towns left to go to.

D_Davis
08-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Yes!

Bioware's new one, Dragon Age, has also been announced for PS3 and 360.

Rock.

It's awesome to see them return to their D&D roots.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/08/18/dragon-age-origins-flying-onto-consoles

megladon8
08-18-2008, 07:48 PM
"Castle Crashers" looks great.

I've been jonesin' for a good beat-'em-up.

megladon8
08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Finally got back to where I was in "Braid".

Every time I turn it on and experience the visuals and the music accompanied by the writing in the books in each world, I just can't believe how beautiful this game is.

World 6 is hella hard, though.

megladon8
08-19-2008, 02:33 AM
To anyone who has finished "Braid"...

What did it all mean to you?
About the candy store, and building a castle?
And why in the Epilogue, for every book I could read, there were two I couldn't? I feel like there are big parts of the story that I am missing.

Despite not fully understanding what happened at the end, I have to admit it was very affecting, emotionally. I actually felt a tear well up. Never had that happen with a game before.

Acapelli
08-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Unfinished games from Cactus. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXyTScLe7g)

This guy is an artist. He and people like him are what gives me hope for the future of this medium.
you calling this guy an artist reminds me of another game creator who i feel has a pretty firm grasp on turning videogames into art

http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/jason-rohrer/

passage and gravitation are beautiful

D_Davis
08-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Passage is very cool.

bac0n
08-19-2008, 04:00 AM
I beat Bioshock!

I was rather surprised by the ending...

It was quite touching, actually. I was choking up.

trotchky
08-19-2008, 06:47 AM
So I finished Braid last night, and I think it's the best game ever made.

megladon8
08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
So I finished Braid last night, and I think it's the best game ever made.

Yeah, pretty much.

How did you interpret the books at the end?

I've read several crazy interpretations already.

One of them claimed that the entire game was a metaphor for Tim being one of the main scientists in the Manhattan Project, and that he was trying to create the atomic bomb.

Morris Schæffer
08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I could never make such a blanket statement about one game. God, I've played so many brilliant ones over the past fifteen years.

Skitch
08-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Concerning Madden 09...what do you guys think of the new Madden testing/difficulty setting thing?

megladon8
08-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Yikes, "Too Human" is getting pretty lukewarm reviews.

GameSpot gave it 5.5, IGN gave it 7.8 but stated several times that it's strictly for fans of loot-collecting, and Giant Bomb gave it 3/5 saying it's pretty lackluster story-wise and the gameplay gets stale.

All of the reviews stated how bad the camera is, which I definitely agree with after playing the demo.

I was really hoping this one would end up great, and better than the demo. Looks like no, another letdown.

Seems XBLA is the way to go this summer.

Ezee E
08-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Concerning Madden 09...what do you guys think of the new Madden testing/difficulty setting thing?
Makes playing the computer not so boring.

bac0n
08-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Speaking of XBLA, the next game on the list: Rez HD. I downloaded it and started to play. Just as awesome as I remember it, tho, unfortunately, I'm just as bad at it as I remember being.

D_Davis
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Yikes, "Too Human" is getting pretty lukewarm reviews.

GameSpot gave it 5.5, IGN gave it 7.8 but stated several times that it's strictly for fans of loot-collecting, and Giant Bomb gave it 3/5 saying it's pretty lackluster story-wise and the gameplay gets stale.

All of the reviews stated how bad the camera is, which I definitely agree with after playing the demo.

I was really hoping this one would end up great, and better than the demo. Looks like no, another letdown.

Seems XBLA is the way to go this summer.

I was expecting the reviews to range between 6 and 7 for this one, and so I am still going to pick it up. Paid it off months ago, so it's not like I'll be missing the money, and I really liked the demo.

Guess it's just my thing.

Skitch
08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I beat Bioshock!

I was rather surprised by the ending...

It was quite touching, actually. I was choking up.

I assume you saved as opposed to harvested?

I haven't seen the harvest ending yet.

Skitch
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Makes playing the computer not so boring.

I took the test (which I found way too easy), scored okay (far better than I am), and was completely destroyed my first game, 58 to 0. I had five total yards for the game.

:evil:

I like playing Madden, I'm just not good at it. Especially defense. They stomped every offensive play I attempted.