PDA

View Full Version : In a World... (Lake Bell)

number8
08-28-2013, 11:40 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/In_a_World_poster.jpg

IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294677/)

Raiders
08-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Strange, but I had no idea this existed. I will watch it so I can ogle Lake Bell.

Also, awesome cast.

number8
08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Awesome cast indeed, and they all get really funny moments. Making Tig Notaro and Nick Offerman a comedy duo is just inspired and amazing. Also for Childrens Hospital fans, it's very nice to see Bell, Marino, and Corddry interact with one another in a more sincere and non-absurdist manner, but still funny as hell.

That said, given that it's about the world of "face for radio" actors, I was hoping to see it populated with more voice actors. I can't believe Jim Cummings isn't in this.

It's a pretty light and admittedly low stakes blend of the sports movie and the dysfunctional family comedy. A giant tribute to Don LaFontaine, which can't be a bad thing. I'm impressed that Bell found a way to deliver an ending that manages to be optimistically triumphant and still maintains showbiz cynicism. It feels realist: finding empowerment in a fundamentally scummy system.

D_Davis
08-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Man, 8. You name dropped like 10 things and people that I am completely clueless about. I know I've become completely detached from pop culture in the last 5 or so years, but your post nailed that point home completely! :)

I saw this movie on the the marque of a theater this morning, and I thought it was going to be a documentary about the movie announcer guy. I thought that would be cool.

EyesWideOpen
08-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Strange, but I had no idea this existed. I will watch it so I can ogle Lake Bell.

Also, awesome cast.

Same. Huge crush on Lake Bell.

wigwam
08-29-2013, 04:24 PM
:|

eternity
08-31-2013, 08:40 PM
How droll.

Mal
01-19-2014, 05:50 AM
A solid film, very charming and with hardly any false notes.

Izzy Black
01-19-2014, 06:30 AM
liked this one

Pop Trash
01-30-2014, 06:39 PM
This is mediocre but I got the feeling it's merely a showcase for Lake Bell's immense charm.

Qrazy
02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
The narrative arc is extremely generic but I enjoy everyone involved so much that the film still works for me. I wish Ken Marino had been given a little more to work with though because he's typically as hilarious as they come.

Alex Weitzman
07-26-2014, 07:34 AM
Jumping back in time to vote on this film.

It's important to remember that this is a VO world that is an even smaller subset of what is already a small subset of the entertainment industry. Folks like Jim Cummings (as Ary name-dropped earlier) aren't really part of this world, at least on a regular basis. The major cameos are guys like Joe Cipriano and Marc Graue, as well as the constant referencing of LaFontaine.

Anyway, I loved it. Somewhat obviously, but yeah. The gentility towards the plot machinations and romance was nice, if only because it meant less to me. What stood out to me was Carol's obsession with her field. That connects so hard to me. To not just aspire to it, but to be endlessly fascinated by it. That is a snapshot of my brain.