PDA

View Full Version : Broken (Rufus Norris)

Grouchy
08-23-2013, 05:55 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D--gp8TCTs0/URLsvSLmKQI/AAAAAAAAV-0/Q0dwjIWHVfY/s1600/broken-poster-de-fr.jpg

Grouchy
08-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Wow, this movie doesn't work at all. It sports a terrific cast (Roth, Kinnear, Murphy) and the pretence of being a serious coming-of-age drama, but... it's really awful and corny. I guess I was just so used to British street drama being great (films by Shane Meadows, Tyrannosaur) that the lameness of this one stood out more.

Where to begin? This Rufus Norris guy will not balk at any lows to make his audience cry. Sappy pop songs, constant screaming matches, and "introspective" moments abound. Everytime a scene comes off as genuine and heartfelt, the director spoils it by adding some quirky detail that's supposed to work as a personal trademark, I suppose. About the only one of these purposefully odd things that I liked were the twin girls who keep throwing plastic bags filled with shit at their neighbours. Always a good laugh.

Also, one thing I didn't understand at all - why do Tim Roth and his sons live with another woman on their house? At first I thought they were brother and sister until they started a romance... Was this ever explained in the film? It was confusing as hell.