PDA

View Full Version : First Comes Love (Nina Davenport)

Dukefrukem
08-10-2013, 10:29 PM
I'd write my thoughts, but when I was looking up the last name of the director, this review popped up and mimicks my exact reaction.

I was too stubborn to stop watching. It's running on HBO right now.

There is almost nothing redeemable about this documentary. It's about a 41-yr old woman who wants a baby out-of-wedlock, her struggles, her attitudes, her family, her path. I don't mean to demean the personal experience of Nina Davenport, but why the @*&! does she think that anyone would be interested in her? In a word, it adds nothing to the viewer's understanding of the issues. What issues? Love and commitment eluded Nina, so she sought a sperm donor, got pregnant, and along the way, we hear every thought, concern, idea, and notion that enters (and exits) her mind. Ideas like "family is difficult". Ideas like "I love my mother and my father is insensitive." Ideas like "labor is painful". Ideas like "I love my child". Ideas like "dating is difficult". I'm mesmerized. How HBO could have funded this two-hour exercise in time-wasting is beyond me. Why not have a documentary about me at the Farmers' Market or going to the dentist, while I'm worried about getting a cavity filled. Again, I appreciate that having a child is a bigger issue, but Ms. Davenport tackles this subject in the most clichéd manner one could imagine