PDA

View Full Version : I'm So Excited! (Pedro Almodóvar)

Stay Puft
07-29-2013, 06:53 PM
I'M SO EXCITED!
Director: Pedro Almodóvar

http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHCaCbRqUQwuGG_1_m.jpg

IMDb page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2243389/)

Stay Puft
07-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Anybody see this?

I didn't even hear anything about it, and then suddenly oh look it's a new Almodóvar joint, and in a commercial release no less. I just saw that it's playing in Toronto. Did it skip film festivals?

I don't know if I'm going to prioritize seeing it though, to be honest. The reviews aren't so hot from what I'm reading, and my schedule has been pre-occupied with other things lately, so there's plenty of movies playing right now that I haven't seen and would probably choose over it (not to mention the ongoing Century of Chinese Cinema program at TIFF, which I'm going to again this weekend).

Rowland
07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't know if I'm going to prioritize seeing it though, to be honest. The reviews aren't so hot from what I'm readingI've seen lots of positive feedback from people I follow on Letterboxd, and if nothing else, I'm excited to see something light by Almodóvar again, especially after The Skin I Live In left me cold.

wigwam
07-29-2013, 08:46 PM
:|

Ezee E
07-30-2013, 01:01 AM
This had a one-week run in Orange County, and it was right when I got here, so I missed it. The lack of info and talk about it is surprising. Almodovar usually even makes it to several theaters in Colorado, beyond the indie one. Not a peep about this.

NickGlass
07-30-2013, 04:43 PM
I was rather on the fence with it (http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/im-so-excited), but its onslaught of hedonism and inspired inanity worked fairly well for me. I can't imagine how brutal it would be if you don't catch onto its wavelength by the halfway mark.

Grouchy
07-30-2013, 05:41 PM
What the fuck is up with the English title for this one? It's terrible. "The Flying Lovers" is not bad or un-commercial.

Pop Trash
07-31-2013, 02:30 AM
Apparently there is a female on male rape of a passed out passenger in this that got Mike D'Angelo all irate. Oddly, it made me even more curious to see what the fuss is about.

number8
08-08-2013, 04:38 AM
Apparently there is a female on male rape of a passed out passenger in this that got Mike D'Angelo all irate. Oddly, it made me even more curious to see what the fuss is about.

It's a questionable act, but it's really not that interesting to try to dissect or talk about. It isn't played for big laughs or meant to be provocative or anything. It just happens.

number8
08-08-2013, 04:41 AM
Anyway, it's nice to see an outlandish airplane comedy again. I've been missing those. Wouldn't have guessed that it would come from Almodovar.

It's trashy and utterly disposable, but the judgment-free rampant celebration of all things naughty is appreciated by me. Sue me.

ledfloyd
12-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Yeah, this was a ton of fun. I don't really get the critical response towards this one, unless people were expecting another Talk to Her or The Skin I Live In. It's lightweight, sure, but it's plenty of fun.

Grouchy
12-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Eh... I appreciated what Almodóvar was trying to do up to a point, but it got entirely too stupid to hold my attention. I started searching the refrigerator for food and made a phone call, and usually I watch all movies for the first time glued to the screen.