PDA

View Full Version : Despicable Me 2 (Pierre Coffin & Chris Renaud)

Henry Gale
07-25-2013, 04:47 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1690953/?ref_=hm_cht_t2)

http://walleh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Despicable-Me-2-Evil-Minion-President-Wallpaper.jpeg

Henry Gale
07-25-2013, 07:57 AM
It's okaaayyy.

Mildly thrilling in spots, mildly funny in others, distinctly visually imaginative seemingly whenever there's nothing else particularly interesting happening story-wise, and the bits that blend all three of those aspects together for noticable stretches are the highlights, even if they feel especially brief, just like the film's overall length and lasting impression.

For the amount of times it's destined to be replayed by and for kids in homes for years and years, it's not particularly strong enough in any real regard for parents to grow irratated by it (unless they're especially annoyed by the Minions, in which case I have some bad news about a certain movie coming out next Holiday season). More than a lot of big animated or other generally young-skewing films, it feels so absolutely and solely made for kids. It's just conceived and delivered at such a simplistic level that there's no real danger either of losing its target audience or of its characters being in any. And that's fine I guess, but the lack of any real thematic or dramatic nuance or tension really doesn't leave much to cling onto in a big setpieces for someone like me (over 6 but not a parent).

There are hardly any stakes or too many major developments along the way to discern this from being anything other than a less original sequel to a pretty solid and successful film. The plot basically amounts to (and I guess I will spoiler this): Gru gets recruited to an Anti-Villain agency by a lively young woman (Wiig's character). They team up to investigate a number of suspects. Gru says he knows who it is. Everyone doubts him. Things get out of hand while he is pushed out of the picture. It turns out Gru was right about who's behind it. Once he realizes this, he swoops in and saves the day. Fast-forward a little while and he marries Wiig's character. The End. Bonus credit-babysitting of the Minions plugging their own upcoming movie in the credits.

It is what it is. (Except somehow it's also become an absolute juggernaut at the box office, now #2 for all of 2013.)

**1/2 / C+

Dukefrukem
07-25-2016, 01:28 AM
Not as good (or cute) or sentimental and heartwarming as the first. Mildly entertaining.