PDA

View Full Version : This is England

Benny Profane
01-31-2008, 02:44 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/07/27/arts/27england-600.jpg

Reminded me a lot of Ken Loach's Sweet Sixteen but with a little more stylistic flare (key word: little) and an ending that was lot more rushed and pat. But falling short of an ending as great as Sweet Sixteen is something that can be said for pretty much every film, so it's not a major issue.

For those who don't know, This is England is about a young impressionable boy named Shaun who gets tangled up in the wrong crowd. In this case, it's hard-core nationalist skin-heads who are bitter about Pakistani immigrants "taking" jobs away from the locals, in a time of high unemployment and an unpopular war in the Falklands. In fact, Shaun's father has been killed in the war, and he gets teased at school about it. The skinheads offer him protection from bullies and provide a father figure in what appears to be a masculine society. His mother is an important presence in his life, but he is looking for a strong male influence.

Caveat: Some of these skinheads are not neo-nazis, and some are. Woody is the skinhead who adopts Shaun into the gang, and while he is mischievous, he's very charismatic and cool with all people. There is even a black kid named Milky who is part of Woody's crew. It's an older ex-con named Combo that convinces Shaun that his father died for nothing in the Falklands if the Pakistanis are allowed to thrive in England. Combo is not portrayed as a psychotic monster. He can also be warm and charismatic, but with a vicious mean streak and pent up rage. He can snap at any second. Already feeling bad enough that his father is dead and other kids pick on him about it, Shaun attaches himself to Combo's crew and it's here that his downward spiral begins, as Woody and his friends do not share Combo's nationalistic passion and have left Shaun to his care.

It's the well-roundedness of the characters and the realistic plot/setting that draws me to these types of films. I thought it was an excellent portrayal of a turbulent time and a great coming-of-age film at the same time. Looking for recommendations for films in the same vein as this and Sweet Sixteen.

Bosco B Thug
01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
This one snuck up on me when I watched it. I loved how it was about nationalism but not about nationalism really. Which is the case a lot of the time. You know? Haha, it's been a while since I saw it, and I actually only have a vague memory of the ending, so you may be right about that. Don't know what to recommend, but I'll seek out some Ken Loach now, haven't seen any from him.

origami_mustache
02-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Once Upon a Time in The Midlands was made from the same director I believe...it has been a while since I've seen it, but I remember enjoying it. I too need to seek out more Ken Loach films. All I've seen from him is Sweet Sixteen and The Wind That Shakes the Barley.

Qrazy
02-01-2008, 09:15 AM
I rather preferred this to Sweet Sixteen actually but neither do all that much for me. I don't have major complaints I'm just not overly impressed.

If you want some older coming of age films outside of the obvious high school related ones, check out...

400 Blows
Amarcord
The Last Picture Show
Billy Liar
Black Peter
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Loves of a Blonde

dreamdead
04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah, this one snuck up on me, too. Meadows' artistry in orchestrating popular music to scenes is impeccable, and the first slow motion walk of all the guys walking toward the camera was an enthralling choice, especially since the music is so low-key and funereal at that point. Incredible performances and aesthetics all around, and Shaun's mother's lack of concern over his affiliation with Combo is interesting.

Like Benny, I too think it feels just a bit too pat at the end, and I think I would have preferred the film more if it had cut to black after the news montage at the end, though it would have denied the admittedly powerful Truffautian shot at the end. Still, I think the ambiguity would have served it better in the last ten minutes.

I think I'll queue up something of Loach's soon. Benny's suggestion of Sweet Sixteen seems apt. Does Meadows have other quality work?

Silencio
04-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I think I'll queue up something of Loach's soon. Benny's suggestion of Sweet Sixteen seems apt. Does Meadows have other quality work?Dead Man's Shoes

Raiders
04-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Does Meadows have other quality work?

I'll echo the Dead Man's Shoes remark. Stellar filmmaking and Considine is dynamite. I have heard very good things about A Room for Romeo Brass, Twenty Four Seven and his debut Small Time. I have seen part of Once Upon a Time in the Midlands and was rather unimpressed.

number8
04-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Word up, DMS is what we call pure awesome.

MadMan
04-24-2008, 06:48 PM
This thread reminds me that I still need to track that film down. I've wanted to see it since it was mentioned on Match-Cut and since I read a very strong review of it in Newsweek.

shaun
04-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I have tickets to Shane Meadow's follow up, Somers Town, at the Tribeca Festival later this week.

I should probably look this one up before I go.

trotchky
04-29-2008, 05:13 AM
I have tickets to Shane Meadow's follow up, Somers Town, at the Tribeca Festival later this week.

Same.

What day are you going?

shaun
04-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Same.

What day are you going?Thursday. And later on that night, Julian Schnabel's Lou Reed documentary.

Benny Profane
04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Thursday. And later on that night, Julian Schnabel's Lou Reed documentary.

WHOA!

I hadn't heard about this puppy. Don't want to derail my own thread, so excuse me while I do some research.