PDA

View Full Version : White House Down (Roland Emmerich)

TGM
06-29-2013, 05:54 AM
WHITE HOUSE DOWN

Director: Roland Emmerich

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2334879/?ref_=sr_1)

http://definitelyentertaining.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2013-White-House-Down-poster-1.jpg

Watashi
06-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Absolutely nonsensical, politically insane, and immoral.

And it's probably Roland Emmerich's best film.

TGM
06-29-2013, 08:02 AM
This movie was MY SHIT! Emmerich's best since Independence Day, and probably the most fun I've had at the theaters all year long. I honestly didn't expect much more than just some fun, dumb faction, but this one was an absolute blast. Loved it! LOVED IT! HELL YEAH!

Here's a full review (http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2013/06/white-house-down.html).

wigwam
06-29-2013, 08:48 AM
:|

Dukefrukem
06-30-2013, 02:40 PM
So this bombed pretty hard.

amberlita
06-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Man, some of you guys will see anything.

Rowland
06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
So this bombed pretty hard.My girlfriend and I were the youngest audience members in a sparsely populated Thursday night showing, so I'm not surprised.

As for the movie, it drags quite a bit during the messy final stretch, but I found it on the whole to be more agreeable than most of the Hollywood output I've seen this summer. I didn't spot so much as a single instance of shaky cam or trendy zoom, so yay for Emmerich's formal classicism (!), though the action editing still sucks.

Dukefrukem
06-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I thought it was pretty bad. Especially the ending. the worst Emmerich film he's made to date.

"This tour is over" *cocks gun*

Skitch
06-30-2013, 10:48 PM

I see this as harmless. The Heat made $40 million. I find that abhorrent.

number8
07-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Paul Feig being successful is never abhorrent.

Skitch
07-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Well then yay for buddy cop comedies I guess.

Winston*
07-01-2013, 02:28 AM
Paul Feig being successful is never abhorrent.

Yeah, I would easily pick seeing The Heat over this.

number8
07-01-2013, 02:46 AM
I mean, a Paul Feig movie beat a Roland Emmerich movie on opening weekend, y'all. That is a momentous occasion. Who would have believed that shit.

wigwam
07-01-2013, 04:48 AM
it'd be a surprise if Bridesmaids hadnt happened last year and Olympus Has Fallen hadnt happened last month or whenever

but Heat was really terrible and this was surprisingly better than it needed to be

another part of White House Down i liked was the Nicorette gum and the first lady cameo as an easter egg for Jamie Foxx tv fans

EyesWideOpen
07-01-2013, 04:49 AM
Their is no director I have less interest in ever seeing a film by again then Roland Emmerich.

wigwam
07-01-2013, 04:52 AM

I just try to see everything :shrug:

wigwam
07-01-2013, 04:55 AM
There is no director I have less interest in ever seeing a film by again then Roland Emmerich.

I can understand this opinion in the 90s but he's so over-the-top ridiculous now that it's much more entertaining than Bay or any of his other peers. Anyone dismissing this movie and liking any superhero movie of the last 10 years has their priorities outta whack.

Morris Schæffer
07-01-2013, 05:19 AM
I mean, a Paul Feig movie beat a Roland Emmerich movie on opening weekend, y'all. That is a momentous occasion. Who would have believed that shit.

The question of whether or not a Paul Feig movie can beat an Emmerich one at the BO has been answered I guess.

Dead & Messed Up
07-01-2013, 06:18 AM

If we're talking about the director names and absolutely no other elements, then yeah, I guess it'd be surprising. But one is a counter-programmed vehicle for Melissa McCarthy, and the other is the second imperiled-White-House movie this year. Honestly, I don't think it's a shock at all.

Dukefrukem
07-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Good point D&MU. Did anyone on MC see Olympus has Fallen?

Skitch
07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I did. It was more fun than I expected. It was core 'action movie' stuff, it didn't rewrite the book or anything.

I'm not chomping at the bit to see WHD (heck I only saw OHF because I had to kill a few hours and it cost a buck), I'm just surprised The Heat did that much business. I think that trailer looks beyond horrible.

Skitch
07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah I agree with DAMU. I think WHD banked about what I expected it to from its trailer.

Skitch
07-01-2013, 08:05 PM
My friend's review via text message: "FUCK this movie. Fuck it so hard. I hated Die Hard 5 less than this piece of shit." :lol:

TGM
07-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Did anyone on MC see Olympus has Fallen?

A few of us did. ;)
http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showthread.php?4631-Olympus-Has-Fallen-%28Antoine-Fuqua%29

eternity
07-16-2013, 07:56 PM
This is everything it needs to be and nothing more, and that pleasantly surprised me.

Lazlo
07-16-2013, 08:07 PM
This is everything it needs to be and nothing more, and that pleasantly surprised me.

Yeah, it's really pretty great. At least until the momentum-squandring, totally lame inconvenient-phone-call-reaveals-villainous-mastermind ending. It's pretty clear for the last half-hour that Richard Jenkins was behind the whole thing, and the movie deserved a more kinetic way to wrap everything up.

Skitch
10-26-2013, 02:35 PM
I sure hope the $1.50 I paid to see this goes to get Emmerich an editor. There was an easy 40 minutes of very cutable material here. There was some fun to be had, but it was constantly bogged down in unnecessary stuff.

The trophy for best 'Die Hard In The White House Movie of 2013' goes to Olympus Has Fallen.

Irish
10-27-2013, 04:26 AM
There was some fun to be had, but it was constantly bogged down in unnecessary stuff.

Oh God, thiiiiiis. I really wanted to like this movie & I enjoyed most of it ... but Jesus the ending gets really tedious, overdone, and stretched my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. The last five minutes are deeply stupid and felt like the kind of thing broad comedies & sitcoms parody on a regular basis ... except Emmerich is actually trying to play the material straight.

Morris Schæffer
10-27-2013, 06:49 AM
I gotta give it credit for subverting the mole twist, which I knew well in advance it was going to sport one, by giving us another one. I thought it was just gonna be Woods. These movies always have moles. Air Force One had Xander Berkeley as the mole.

funny too how the computer wiz was a clone of Die Hard's theo, the one who wasn't brought along for his charming personality. There was even classical music during the big hacking scene.

Skitch
10-27-2013, 01:42 PM
... but Jesus the ending gets really tedious, overdone, and stretched my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. The last five minutes are deeply stupid and felt like the kind of thing broad comedies & sitcoms parody on a regular basis ... except Emmerich is actually trying to play the material straight.

BING muthafuckin O!

Also, the entire subplot of the tour guide character could've be placed on the cutting floor and the film would've lost nothing. Its doubly frustrating because there is a fun 90 minute romp of an action movie in that extremely overbloated run time.

Skitch
10-27-2013, 01:44 PM
funny too how the computer wiz was a clone of Die Hard's theo, the one who wasn't brought along for his charming personality. There was even classical music during the big hacking scene.

That was such blatant borrowing, but even that didn't irritate me as much as a multitude of other things.

EvilShoe
10-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Would've liked this better had it been R-rated. As is, I prefer Olympus has Fallen.

Morris Schæffer
10-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Would've liked this better had it been R-rated. As is, I prefer Olympus has Fallen.

Btw, really bummed out that The World's End is not getting a release in Belgium and Holland. Someone, somewhere, somehow should pay for that.

EvilShoe
10-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Btw, really bummed out that The World's End is not getting a release in Belgium and Holland. Someone, somewhere, somehow should pay for that.Still living in Shanghai, so I'm more bummed out the only movies I get here are 3D blockbuster extravaganza's. And Now You See Me, for some reason. :|

Morris Schæffer
10-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Still living in Shanghai, so I'm more bummed out the only movies I get here are 3D blockbuster extravaganza's. And Now You See Me, for some reason. :|

How did you end up there man? Edit: which sounds wrong, but didn't mean that. I'm sure it's great.

EvilShoe
10-29-2013, 12:34 PM
How did you end up there man? Edit: which sounds wrong, but didn't mean that. I'm sure it's great.
Looooong story, but the short version is this: after backpacking through Australia, I had a hard time finding a good job in Belgium. So I decided to look for paid internships in digital marketing, found one in Shanghai, got full-time, and here I still am. There are definitely enjoyable factors, but also lots of things that annoy me. Call it a love/hate relationship...

(I'm dying for Belgian fries and stoofvlees. The "Belgian" bars just can't get it right)

number8
11-06-2013, 04:16 AM
Typical Emmerich problems. Too many characters/subplots, tediously overlong, and every plot point laboriously set up to the point of making everything predictable (the pocket watch, the flag waving practice, the tour tickets, the kitchen knives, the pager, etc etc.). But the first hour of this was the best Die Hard movie since the first one. Loses its momentum after the car chase, which is a shame.

Giving it a yay for the "fuck you" line alone.

Peng
08-20-2023, 03:57 PM
Way too long, but as an over-the-top action film that is kinda in on the joke the boisterous energy carries the film a long way. Typical Hollywoo that this stopped at one film while Olympus Has Fallen has two sequels already with another one upcoming. 6/10