PDA

View Full Version : Maniac (Franck Khalfoun)

number8
06-20-2013, 02:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nuJCx0A.jpg

IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103217/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

number8
06-20-2013, 02:41 PM
This was a hell of a lot better than I ever expected it to be. Now I get why it got into Cannes and is playing at these non-horror festivals. I don't know how many of you are fans of the original, but I think this surpasses it in almost every way. Even the damn soundtrack.

Here's my write-up. (http://www.artboiled.com/2013/becoming-a-maniac-like-elijah-wood/)

Kurosawa Fan
06-20-2013, 02:59 PM
This is a remake of the Joe Spinell film?

number8
06-20-2013, 02:59 PM
This is a remake of the Joe Spinell film?

Yeah.

Kurosawa Fan
06-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah.

Interesting. I haven't seen it since high school. Frankly, the only thing I remember about it was the Tom Savini head explosion scene, which was incredible.

number8
06-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah, that's a given. Thankfully, there's no attempt to recreate that scene.

Raiders
06-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Hm, decent fan of the original (for Lustig, prefer Uncle Sam - need to see Maniac Cop) mainly for Savini and Spinell and the dedication by its creators. It's kinda dull though. Interesting to hear the good buzz for this one. I didn't even know it existed (or had forgot). Interesting to see Wood taking on the lead role (though he isn't ever seen except in reflections, right?). The gimmick of first-person POV has never been effective for me in the films I have seen it used, so I have much trepidation.

number8
06-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Maniac Cop 2 is better than Maniac Cop. Even Lustig agrees.

The gimmick of first-person POV has never been effective for me in the films I have seen it used, so I have much trepidation.

I think it's used really well, and it's the most interesting thing about the remake. Pretty much why I wrote my entire review talking about it.

Raiders
06-20-2013, 04:05 PM
I think it's used really well, and it's the most interesting thing about the remake. Pretty much why I wrote my entire review talking about it.

I can't read the review from work, sorry. They allow forums, but have some weird algorithm that exlcudes most any entertainment site not a forum.

Rowland
07-07-2013, 10:06 PM
This is pretty okay. I revisited the original afterward, which subsequently depreciated a bit in my estimation, but I still prefer it to this, warts and all.

Winston*
08-01-2013, 08:33 PM
This was banned in New Zealand, outside of festival screenings. Had no desire to see it before, but tempted to see it now.

Kurosawa Fan
08-01-2013, 08:57 PM
This was banned in New Zealand, outside of festival screenings. Had no desire to see it before, but tempted to see it now.

Mission accomplished, New Zealand!!

Winston*
08-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Mission accomplished, New Zealand!!

http://torrentfreak.com/movie-banned-by-censors-becomes-a-piracy-hit-with-kiwis-130725/

Censorship works!

Bosco B Thug
11-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Not that this will have any value outside of the gore crowd, but this was mostly pleasant, artistically, except when it's not. Effectively throwbacky, more so to Italian giallo than the 80s sleaze of its predecessor. Clearly thinks more of its first-person-POV than as a gimmick, but an actual inquiry on identification and inhabiting the maniac.

Rowland
12-06-2013, 08:29 PM
The scene between Wood and the heartbreakingly sexy Megan Duffy, as well as the final series of shots, all scored to Rob's haunting soundtrack, routinely pop up in my mind and continue to resonate. Maybe I underrated this... I'm surprised only a handful of MCers have seen it, given its wide availability.

Dead & Messed Up
12-06-2013, 10:19 PM
The scene between Wood and the heartbreakingly sexy Megan Duffy, as well as the final series of shots, all scored to Rob's haunting soundtrack, routinely pop up in my mind and continue to resonate. Maybe I underrated this... I'm surprised only a handful of MCers have seen it, given its wide availability.

Hey, I'll take this rec. I'm trying to cram down this year's horror anyway.

On that note, Grabbers was mild Tremors-style fun, and Fin was a Spanish-language Pulse-lite, with some of the same conceptual intrigue but much less style in its execution.

Rowland
12-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Hey, I'll take this rec. I'm trying to cram down this year's horror anyway.

On that note, Grabbers was mild Tremors-style fun, and Fin was a Spanish-language Pulse-lite, with some of the same conceptual intrigue but much less style in its execution.Ahh yeah, I didn't like Grabbers, but I know I'm in the minority there. Maybe I'm just too easily annoyed by people acting drunk.

Skitch
12-07-2013, 11:50 AM
I liked Grabbers, but I'm a drunk.

Dead & Messed Up
12-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Pretty good. The gore bothered me at times, but I suppose that means it was working. Elijah Wood's a great choice for the manic mama's boy, the soundtrack continues the 80's-synth push from Drive and Beyond the Black Rainbow, and the identification with the slasher mercifully doesn't go too far. The "out of body" moments are a neat trick.