PDA

View Full Version : This Is The End (Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen)

Henry Gale
06-12-2013, 04:26 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/)

http://www.traileraddict.com/content/columbia-pictures/this_is_the_end-2.jpg

Henry Gale
06-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Thinking about how this movie begins compared to how it ends...

Just incredibly, consistently, deeply funny stuff, but just as surprisingly thoughtful and thorough with its character dynamics and how it develops and escalates big, frightening stakes all along the way.

It's exactly as wonderfully, unapologetically bizarre and juvenile as I had hoped, but surprisingly economical with its strangest and silliest material. It all amounts to one of the very best comedies of this, or maybe even the last few years for me.

Superman, you oddly have a lot to compete with this weekend!

Mal
06-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Funny, odd... I did not expect to like this film much, if at all, because of the cast - but they played off each other very well and their personas here are all fully developed. I enjoyed nearly every moment, hardly any of the jokes fell flat to me.

The Clash of the Titans-esque animation that seemed so wrong and yet so right... Emma Watson and the Rosemary's Baby homage had me howling, erect demon penis and all, though Craig Robinson really stole the show for me drawing the burnt match. And fucking Michael Cera on cocaine. LOL.

James Franco's best performance of the year (so far).

plain
06-12-2013, 06:25 AM
i'm a fan as well, further thoughts here: http://serenecinema.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/this-is-the-end/

wigwam
06-12-2013, 03:44 PM
:|

Fezzik
06-13-2013, 01:47 AM
I liked it as well. I expected the laughs and the moments of idiocy, but what surprised me the most was that I actually gave a damn about these guys.

Michael Cera was great, as was McBride. Franco had my favorite line:

"Call me The Prince of Persia."

The cameos were all great, and the one at the very end made me laugh so hard, i almost lost my breath.

Ezee E
06-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Mostly good, even if it falter a little when it does try to advance plot, it's better that it doesn't have the Apatow-curse of just people hanging around, although I find the movie best in the pieces where they are hanging around. I can't pick out what my favorite bit is, and that's probably a good thing. Also, it's a comedy that's actually funny from beginning to end, although I think the Channing Tatum part goes a little too far.

Wait, may have laughed the hardest at Seth Rogen thinking he was shot by McBride.

Hmm... I almost think the villainous turn at the end would've been better if it was played by Emma Watson.

The use of special effects was pretty great... Yeah, enjoyable stuff here.

Watashi
06-14-2013, 01:42 AM
The first movie that made me root for Jay Baruchel. That's a triumph in its own.

number8
06-15-2013, 05:21 AM
This was incredible.

number8
06-15-2013, 12:30 PM
"We should make more sequels of our movies."
"Let's not make Your Highness 2 though."

Ezee E
06-15-2013, 12:53 PM
The only additional thing they needed was for Michel Gondry to be in that house for more "sequels."

Pop Trash
06-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Anyone wanna spoil the ending for me? I had to catch the last train with five minutes to spare. Goddamn summer movie trailers.

Henry Gale
06-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Anyone wanna spoil the ending for me? I had to catch the last train with five minutes to spare. Goddamn summer movie trailers.

Well, there's a very specific trajectory towards the end, so not sure exactly where you left off, and I'd say you're much better off just catching up with it, watching the insanity unfold, but: After Franco ruins his chance to ascend by flipping off McBride, Jay and Seth run away from McBride's gang and are eventually cornered by enormous, towering Satan, giant dick swinging and everything. Certain they're going to die, Jay makes amends with Seth, and that leads to the blue beam shining down to lift him up, but not Seth. Seth grabs his hand, but as they go higher they come to the realization that Jay won't go any higher with Seth weighing him down. The beam also acts as a sort of force-field that Satan is burned by and can't penetrate while Seth tells Jay that he doesn't deserve to go with him, accepts his fate and lets go, sacrificing himself (all while Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" plays). We then see Jay continue to ascend as Seth falls from the sky, while Satan opens his mouth swallow him.

Seth falls deeper and deeper into Satan's mouth, down his throat, when SUDDENLY a beam suspends Seth, ripping Satan in half, dick included, and it lifts him towards Jay, who giddily link arms and await whatever's next.

After the blue portal slowly becomes white, cloudy and quieter. They realize they're at the gates of Heaven, where Craig greets them (Mr. Robinson towel intact), bestows gold halos on them that Seth exclaims he always wanted. Craig then walks them through the giant doors to heaven, where they're greeted to a ridiculous, Diddy-White Party Disneyland of music, dancing, giant roller coasters, flying objects and weed. Seth is seemingly astonished only at the weed, which Craig goes onto explain how you can have anything you wish for in Heaven. Jay ponders, "Anything?"...

He thinks, then, out from the crowd, we slowly see the people parting, mouths agape, as five, decked out men emerge. Music revs up, we see AJ, Brian, Nick, Howie and even Kevin.

Everybody. Rock your body. Backstreet's Back.

The endless crowd of people go nuts and dance even harder than they likely ever did on Earth. Jay and Seth once again bond over the song they jammed to at the beginning for some reason. Heaven is everything they could've ever dreamed of.

I kinda hope someone with no interest in ever seeing this stumbles upon my description of that and immediately reverses their apathy towards checking it out. Even if it did spoil the whole ending..

Pop Trash
06-16-2013, 04:46 PM
I don't know why, since it seems like it wouldn't be that funny, but the possessed Jonah Hill bit made me laugh so hard tears came down.

Rowland
06-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Sometimes hilarious, and at least as often painfully unfunny, this works best when considered through the prism of Buñuelian satire. Still, compare the lazy tripping-on-drugs sequence here with the far-superior one featured in 21 Jump Street. And while I admire how far Rogen and Goldberg go with the ending, the best comedic capper they could imagine within that inspired context was [spoiler cameo]? C'mon guys, that's just lame. Or is that part of the joke? Whatever the case, Superbad and Pineapple Express remain their most successful collaborations by a comfortable margin.

Milky Joe
06-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Often hilarious, and about as often painfully unfunny, this works best when considered through the prism of Buñuelian satire.

Ah, yes. I do recall a moment from Buñuel where the two leads had an extended argument about exactly where and how hard they would ejaculate on one another. A spot on critique if I may say so. :p

Sven
06-16-2013, 11:36 PM
... with the far-superior one featured in 21 Jump Street.

That was superior to something? Goodness. [/hater]

Rowland
06-17-2013, 01:20 AM
A spot on critique if I may say so. :pCritic Eric Henderson says it best (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/06/14/movie-blog-man-of-steel-the-end-arrested-development/):

"This is the End shows a group of stoned, over-privileged, under-achieving posers trying to fake their way into heaven by doing the barest minimum of worthy work … and earning eternal rewards. That's Hollywood!"

Bosco B Thug
06-17-2013, 02:14 AM
That was superior to something? Goodness. [/hater] I know we're duking it out in the Superman thread, but yes, this, so much. Please let me join you in the 21 Jump Street hater club.

Pop Trash
06-17-2013, 02:30 AM
I know we're duking it out in the Superman thread, but yes, this, so much. Please let me join you in the 21 Jump Street hater club.

Are you a hipster? Those jeans are pretty tight. I bet you hate movies everyone else likes. Like 21 Jump Street.

Bosco B Thug
06-17-2013, 03:58 AM
Are you a hipster? Those jeans are pretty tight. I bet you hate movies everyone else likes. Like 21 Jump Street. Yeah, they're totally cutting off circulation and my ability to enjoy 21 Jump Street. (I actually like the film, but I hated that trip sequence).

eternity
06-17-2013, 04:10 AM
There are enough humorous moments for this to not be a bust, but it definitely wears out its welcome by the time things get truly apocalyptic.

TGM
06-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Is it just me, or does this movie pick up where Cabin in the Woods left us off?

Kurosawa Fan
06-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Ultimately, a nay from me. It would be dishonest to say the film didn't have hilarious moments. There were a few that had me laughing pretty hard. That said, it was obvious they didn't have much to offer beyond the concept of those five guys trying to survive the apocalypse. The film took way too long getting to where we all knew it was going, and lost its charm well before that. They put their one shallow theme on repeat for 90 minutes and threw in a terrible amount of dick and gay sex jokes to fill the down time, a topic they find much funnier than I do.

D_Davis
06-20-2013, 07:12 PM
I didn't want to see this movie, but then last night my friend told me that there is a lot of demon cock in it.

Boner M
06-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I don't know why, since it seems like it wouldn't be that funny, but the possessed Jonah Hill bit made me laugh so hard tears came down.
Hill kinda stole this film, for me. The fooling with the gun, the prayer, the overly-sycophantic-bro act at the party... classic. Then again I've always liked him the most of the Apatow pack, so I dunno.

Otherwise I kinda agree with Rowland (apart from the Buñuel part), though it's always too early to say with these kinda comedies (21 Jump St improved exponentially on repeat viewings after my initial indifference).

Boner M
06-20-2013, 09:13 PM
I know we're duking it out in the Superman thread, but yes, this, so much. Please let me join you in the 21 Jump Street hater club.

Yeah, they're totally cutting off circulation and my ability to enjoy 21 Jump Street. (I actually like the film, but I hated that trip sequence).
So which one's it gonna be.

number8
06-20-2013, 09:14 PM
By the way, this movie has a well-executed rape joke in it, in that it makes the hypothetical rapists the butt of the jokes. It reminds me of the way 21 Jump St constructed its gay jokes to make the bully the punchline of the jokes.

Watashi
06-20-2013, 09:24 PM
"Does it compel me? Does it?"

EyesWideOpen
06-22-2013, 01:04 AM
I can't imagine anyone disliking this that was already a fan of these actors.

Yxklyx
06-22-2013, 05:11 AM
I found this to be a riot - though it does lose its way a little with the demon action.

Mr. Pink
06-26-2013, 07:05 AM
This was a blast. Wild, unorthodox, and inventive.

Even though Hill's reaction after getting demon raped was hilarious, I still kinda wanted to see it actually happen. Or some of it, at least.

Henry Gale
06-28-2013, 04:59 AM
If I had seen this poster earlier, I might've used it for the starting post in this thread, even if it is a tad spoiler-y:

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles17/2343273/projects/9275547/67507b4c40ca13e23824b5cbec41be ad.jpg

ciaoelor
06-30-2013, 05:36 AM
If I had seen this poster earlier, I might've used it for the starting post in this thread, even if it is a tad spoiler-y:

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles17/2343273/projects/9275547/67507b4c40ca13e23824b5cbec41be ad.jpg

well there's no dick in the poster so it's not that spoiler-y

slqrick
07-08-2013, 12:31 AM
I enjoyed the meta humor and wish there was more of it because the movie started to lose me as it became clear they were going to treat it as the actual Apocalypse.

Spinal
07-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Absolutely terrible. It was so disappointing to see the most interesting supporting cast members killed off so early. This film has way too much dicking around and not nearly enough on-target humor. Perhaps most disappointing of all was the way the film embraces the most infantile version of Christian mythology. It's 2013. Even in a comedy, I expect something a little more thoughtful than halos and horned demons.

Pop Trash
07-26-2013, 02:21 AM
Absolutely terrible. It was so disappointing to see the most interesting supporting cast members killed off so early. This film has way too much dicking around and not nearly enough on-target humor. Perhaps most disappointing of all was the way the film embraces the most infantile version of Christian mythology. It's 2013. Even in a comedy, I expect something a little more thoughtful than halos and horned demons.

Horned demon...

...COCK.

Spinal
07-26-2013, 03:50 AM
James Franco's best performance of the year (so far).

Better than Spring Breakers? Madness.

The cameos were all great, and the one at the very end made me laugh so hard, i almost lost my breath.

Really? Haven't we seen variations on that same joke numerous times before? And unlike Bridesmaids, this one was a complete non sequitur.

They put their one shallow theme on repeat for 90 minutes and threw in a terrible amount of dick and gay sex jokes to fill the down time, a topic they find much funnier than I do.

Oh, but don't forget, they also made time for rape jokes! Who says they aren't versatile?

Jesus, this film was way too insular. It's a film utterly lacking in ambition, curiosity or risk. For some strange reason, I thought it might have a chance of being somewhat subversive and insightful in regards to celebrity culture. But no, it's really just a navel-gazing wankfest. I was hoping the premise would be played a little more straight, a la Cloverfield or something, except funny.

Boner M
07-26-2013, 06:30 AM
Because non-sequiturs have never made for good comedy.

Spinal
07-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Because non-sequiturs have never made for good comedy.

Not sure what you're saying here. Yes. Non-sequiturs are, in general, not good comedy.

Comedy is funny because it arises from the logical consequences of a moment. Buster Keaton movies are funny because his character thinks he is taking the next logical step in each moment, even though we know that it is just going to get him into more trouble down the line. Even something like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in Ghostbusters arises from the idea that no matter how hard we try, it's hard to think of nothing and the most unusual things will pop into our head. In Monty Python, non-sequitur is established as the rule, and thus takes on a kind of logic of its own.

This film drops in a celebrity cameo for the sheer purpose of saying 'Hey, remember that song that was popular when we were younger that was catchy and annoying? It's kind of awesome because it has nostalgia attached to it now!'

This is lazy, lazy comedy. Non sequitur, pop culture reference, Family Guy style comedy must die.

D_Davis
07-26-2013, 04:20 PM

I always give props to Dogma for actually having some intelligent things to say about theology mixed in with all the dick and fart jokes.

Milky Joe
07-26-2013, 09:45 PM
I really liked this movie but even I felt the ending 'cameo' was really flat. I kept waiting for Woody Harrelson to show up.

Spinal
07-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I really liked this movie but even I felt the ending 'cameo' was really flat. I kept waiting for Woody Harrelson to show up.

Yes! When they rediscovered Danny McBride, that's who I thought it was going to be.

MadMan
08-08-2013, 01:34 AM
The first movie that made me root for Jay Baruchel. That's a triumph in its own.Second for me after How To Train Your Dragon. In fact I'm a little disturbed how I related mostly to him throughout this movie.

Really hilarious film that had me laughing throughout. I agree that the last act didn't really know when to stop and that the movie didn't exactly have an ending, but I still loved it anyways. The Rosemary's Baby joke was great btw. and I was surprised at how parts of the film were actually creepy. I was expecting sci-fi and comedy but not horror elements here.

Its weird because the only one of the bunch I love is Craig Robinson, although I do like Jonah Hill I guess. Franco, Rogen, and even McBride have begun to wear out their welcome here, and I've never liked Baruchel at all, and yet I loved this movie. Why are we comparing this to 21 Jump Street again? Just because both have Hill? Plus Tantum? Meh.

Gizmo
09-11-2013, 07:11 AM
This film started off pretty funny and strong, but it drug in the 2nd half so much that I lost interest.

Dukefrukem
10-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Not as good as Pineapple, but pretty close. I was laughing pretty hard at the argument between Franco and McBride about jerking off everywhere and the finale dance sequence. Exactly what I expected it to be.

Dukefrukem
10-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Yes! When they rediscovered Danny McBride, that's who I thought it was going to be.

I thought it was going to be Will Ferrell.

Dukefrukem
10-03-2013, 12:30 AM
This was a blast. Wild, unorthodox, and inventive.

Even though Hill's reaction after getting demon raped was hilarious, I still kinda wanted to see it actually happen. Or some of it, at least.

Seth talked about this on Howard Stern and said they actually filmed a scene where it takes place but the studio made them take it out.

Spun Lepton
10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
I really enjoyed this. Much more than Pineapple Express. Of course, I'm a sucker for comedies with big supernatural elements.

Spun Lepton
10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Critic Eric Henderson says it best (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/06/14/movie-blog-man-of-steel-the-end-arrested-development/):

"This is the End shows a group of stoned, over-privileged, under-achieving posers trying to fake their way into heaven by doing the barest minimum of worthy work … and earning eternal rewards. That's Hollywood!"

Sounds like Eric Henderson was taking the premise much more seriously than the filmmakers.

Wryan
10-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Thought this was hilarious. "House bitch." The jacking off argument was one of the finest-executed comedy bits of 2013 so far.

Dukefrukem
10-07-2013, 12:55 AM
The jacking off argument was one of the finest-executed comedy bits of 2013 so far.

Yeh I was dying during that. I also felt like 99% was improved.

Sycophant
10-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Critic Eric Henderson says it best (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/06/14/movie-blog-man-of-steel-the-end-arrested-development/):

This might be more stinging if the film didn't explicitly bring up this basic perspective. The keenest insight in Henderson's review may be his first statement, "I didn’t want to like This is the End."

Sycophant
10-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Anyway. Not every joke landed for me, but that's comedy, y'all! A lot of it worked, and I thought it was pretty smart about how thoroughly the film used its core interpersonal conflicts.

There's something about the selection of the final surprise musical guest that seems almost sublimely perfect to me, and it's hard for me to articulate why.

Rowland
10-12-2013, 07:31 AM
This might be more stinging if the film didn't explicitly bring up this basic perspective. The keenest insight in Henderson's review may be his first statement, "I didn’t want to like This is the End."He didn't necessarily mean for it to be stinging, given that the comment was prefaced with: "But the very ingredient that could’ve made it totally insufferable — the roman a clef aspect — is what actually elevates it." This autocriticism, whether or not as fully intentional as I read it, was what I was suggesting worked best, since so much of the surface humor fell flat for me.

Rowland
10-12-2013, 07:37 AM
There's something about the selection of the final surprise musical guest that seems almost sublimely perfect to me, and it's hard for me to articulate why.It only works for me if as autocriticism. Of course that would be their vision of paradise, as well is it an indictment of an audience that would laugh and cheer along to such pandering nostalgia bait.

Sycophant
10-12-2013, 04:57 PM
He didn't necessarily mean for it to be stinging, given that the comment was prefaced with: "But the very ingredient that could’ve made it totally insufferable — the roman a clef aspect — is what actually elevates it." This autocriticism, whether or not as fully intentional as I read it, was what I was suggesting worked best, since so much of the surface humor fell flat for me.

Ah. My misreading of his sentence in context and your point.

Sycophant
10-12-2013, 04:59 PM
It only works for me if as autocriticism. Of course that would be their vision of paradise, as well is it an indictment of an audience that would laugh and cheer along to such pandering nostalgia bait.

I'm not necessarily into the idea that it only works if it's saying something bad about me and the rest of the audience for enjoying it. There's some play going on between the ages of the characters and their generation, the conflict between Jay and Seth, and the indulgence in nostalgic pop that works for me.

Dead & Messed Up
12-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Spoilers.

I laughed enough at this that I enjoyed it. Some very funny bits, and the emotional story between Seth and Jay is just serious enough to anchor the movie's self-aware dumbness. There's a lot of cleverness, like the idea that not a single person at Franco's party was worthy of salvation, and the line "It's not that compelling" will make it very hard to go back and rewatch The Exorcist. The dog-demon chasing Jay and Craig reminded me, in a good way, of the stop-motion terror dog from Ghostbusters.

Smaller note. I'm a little weary of this team's over-emphasis on gay jokes. This is an apocalypse centered almost entirely on fear of gay sex. Dick tent. Long drawn-out conversations about appropriate places to ejaculate. Nervousness when guys climb into bed together. This crew's big contribution to the popular myths of Revelations is to give the demons really big dicks. What does it mean when the seven-headed dragon of the apocalypse is upstaged by his own penis? Sub-question: do any of Rogen/Goldberg's films depict an actual homosexual?

I think there's a bolder, better film in here somewhere, one that's less forgiving of its heroes. On that note, my favorite bit was probably the confrontation between Franco and McBride at the end. Ingenious reversal.

Rowland
12-04-2013, 09:57 PM
the line "It's not that compelling" will make it very hard to go back and rewatch The Exorcist. This attitude was one of the parts I disliked most about this movie. It thinks its modern sensibilities are above The Exorcist, which reinforces the sorts of attitudes that result in hipper-than-thou millennials laughing derisively at or dismissing older movies.

Dead & Messed Up
12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
This attitude was one of the parts I disliked most about this movie. It thinks its modern sensibilities are above The Exorcist, which reinforces the sorts of attitudes that result in hipper-than-thou millennials laughing derisively at or dismissing older movies.

I didn't think that was meant to be derisive. And if it contributes to some sort of derision for classics, I'd level that at millennials instead of the filmmakers. That felt like a parody that came out of ardent (if possibly shallow) love for genre flicks, similar to how Danny McBride essentially becomes Wez from The Road Warrior.

MadMan
12-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Just because this movie made fun of The Exorcist doesn't mean that I still don't think The Exorcist is not a great film, because it is. And I don't really care if millennials laugh at or dismiss old movies. If they are dumb enough to not recognize a certain film is great just because it came out before they were born then they are really aren't worth my time or yours.

Irish
12-05-2013, 12:31 AM
This was fucking terrible.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was so unabashedly narcissistic and self involved, so puerile, and so intently a boys club it doesn't even bother to have a single female character in it (and no, Watson doesn't count).

And Jesus, you guys really thought the never ending stream of cock jokes was funny? Maybe I'm out of touch, but this played like a movie that was written by fourteen year olds for fourteen year olds.

At its best moments it plays like one of those mildly amusing SNL skits, where a clever premise is beaten into the ground by a too-long running time.

At its worst, it doesn't even rise to the level of grade school playground humor. I couldn't believe that these actors, almost of of whom I've liked in different projects, thought any of this was a good idea.

D_Davis
12-05-2013, 01:53 AM
And Jesus, you guys really thought the never ending stream of cock jokes was funny? Maybe I'm out of touch, but this played like a movie that was written by fourteen year olds for fourteen year olds.

Isn't that this crew's whole schtick?

Watashi
12-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Danny McBride's intro might be one of the best character introductions ever.

number8
12-05-2013, 11:54 AM
I will like dick jokes until I am fucking 85, yo.

Spun Lepton
12-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was so unabashedly narcissistic and self involved, so puerile, and so intently a boys club it doesn't even bother to have a single female character in it (and no, Watson doesn't count).

Pretty sure that was the point.

Irish
12-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Pretty sure that was the point.

And the you get into the problem that none it was original or interesting. It's a half hearted, weak sauce grasp at self satire. Why deliver the most obvious ideas that anyone could have come up with after watching their movies?

Skitch
12-05-2013, 03:37 PM
We need a 'Meh' option between the Yay and Nay.

Ezee E
12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
We need a 'Meh' option between the Yay and Nay.

That's what the star rating is for.

Spun Lepton
12-05-2013, 04:18 PM
And the you get into the problem that none it was original or interesting. It's a half hearted, weak sauce grasp at self satire. Why deliver the most obvious ideas that anyone could have come up with after watching their movies?

I would argue nothing's original any more, and I disagree that it wasn't interesting. It lags in parts, but it's an ensemble comedy that relies on improv, so that's usually the case. There were a lot of moments that made me laugh. "Is it? Is it compelling?" The whole masturbation argument. "I'm a cannibal now!" Michael Cera playing way against character. The comedians all play off each other really well. I dunno. I didn't go into it expecting it to carry any weight.

Ezee E
12-05-2013, 04:41 PM
I also question what you're expecting when it lays it all out in the trailer of what to expect.

Winston*
12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I will like dick jokes until I am fucking 85, yo.

Seriously.

Skitch
12-05-2013, 11:06 PM
That's what the star rating is for.

But I don't want to give it a thumbs up or down! Feeeeeeel the conflict within me!

Ezee E
12-06-2013, 12:11 AM
But I don't want to give it a thumbs up or down! Feeeeeeel the conflict within me!

NAY.

Skitch
12-06-2013, 11:18 AM
NAY.
:D

Grouchy
12-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Worked for me. A little too long, though. But there was always something funny at the right moment on screen. Franco and McBride are great. Coked up Michael Cera is a riot.

Spun Lepton
12-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Coked up Michael Cera is a riot.

You're mad. Cera's reaction when Jay interrupts him and his lady-friends in the bathroom is one of the best moments. That dead stare of, "GET OUT NOW."

number8
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Er.

Dead & Messed Up
12-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I took that stare as a "Deal with it," or maybe the blank stare of a soulless hedonist for whom earnest emotion simply no longer exists. Either way, it was amazing.

Spun Lepton
12-13-2013, 06:32 PM
D'OH, I misread it. Sorry, Grouchy. Sorry, all. Sorry. Sorry. :cry:

Grouchy
12-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I was saying Cera is the shit.

dreamdead
02-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Ultimately weak. The Franco/McBride jerkoff dialogue is likely the nadir of film for me this year. And a lot of the camaraderie that Rogan and Goldberg try to integrate into this is undercut by how noxious these characters are, so that the final five have no real interest (when Cloverfield's leads look good in comparison, there's a problem). I second Spinal in wishing that the whole film had been comprised of people like Mindy, Aziz, and Segal. That would have been interesting--this group on screen instead is so insular that it's odious and frustrating to watch.

When the film moves beyond the group humor--mainly when it focuses on Craig Robinson--it's actually interesting. And some of the religious angles are actually informative, though I'm frustrated by how facile that element ultimately is. Most interesting were a few of the terrorist threat angles that the film explored early on...

MadMan
02-08-2014, 05:33 AM
Reposted from the Corrie. I wrote this when I was drunk too, so its awful but I like it anyways because damnit I wrote it.

This Is The End (2013, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg)

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/ew/i/2013/06/04/This-Is-The-End-Review.jpg

After the first ten minutes, I wasn't sure if I would find This Is End as funny as everyone else was telling me. Yet some of the decent jokes in the first ten minutes convinced me that I would at least be amused by this film. Midway through I was laughing harder than I have at probably any other comedy film I can think of in the past year or so. I loved this film's jokes (the best two being the Rosemary's Baby homage and the hardcore spoofing of The Exorcist). Clearly I'm a hypocrite for laughing at the gay jokes while supporting gay marriage, yet I'm not racist or sexist and I've laughed at such jokes as well. The ending was the only part I was not a huge fan of; still the rest of the movie is so well crafted I didn't really mind. Craig Robinson is the best thing about this film, ranging from his piano song early on to the fact that he steals most of the film's scenes. I was a little disturbed at how much I identified with Jay Baruchel's arrogance, Danny McBride's asshole qualities, Jonah Hill's ability to fake niceness to people he didn't like, and the fact that Seth Rogen seems to be liked by people. Okay so people keep telling me I'm likable but I'm not sure about that either. James Franco has this odd mixture of douchebag and pretentiousness that I've seen plenty of, and I can almost identify with that too.

http://alfa.gifs-planet.com/new3/1135.gif

Which is another reason why this film works so well: it takes each of the actors and has them, save for Robinson-who is likable no matter what-okay even him-playing up their obnoxious personalities. The cameos were also a nice bit, especially Michael Cera acting the complete opposite of what his public personality suggests he is like. I do wish there was more Emma Watson, however she was really funny and a great addition to the movie in her limited screen time. It doesn't hurt that much like other great or good comedies This is the End has multiple hilarious one liners and the talent of its wonderful cast. Oh and for some reason I didn't expect that a comedy about the end of days would have freaky monsters and horror movie moments. I keep hearing rumors about a sequel yet I would prefer if there was only one film. Especially since I'm not sure there will be a movie quite like this one any time soon.

PS: The drug scene had me crying because I was laughing so hard. So I guess that's three. We could use more super team comedies and less super team action movies these days.

Dukefrukem
06-12-2014, 11:55 AM
I had a dream last night that we were filming a sequel, in which I was co-staring! And we did a rehash of the jerking off argument but I couldn't keep a straight face and Seth and Danny were getting mad which made me laugh more.