PDA

View Full Version : Y: The Last Man

EvilShoe
01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
In an interview with the USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2008-01-28-last-man-comic_N.htm) about the last issue of Pia Guerra and Brian K. Vaughan's "Y: The Last Man," the director of the comic's upcoming adaptation, D.J. Caruso (Disturbia, upcoming Eagle Eye), says it might become a trilogy of films:

Caruso says he has had "preliminary discussions" with Shia LaBeouf to play Yorick.

"For me, thematically, the most important thing and the reason I want to do this is … I don't want to say it's the end of the innocence, but it's actually a man-child who has to become a real man now," Caruso says. "I think it's a really simple, beautiful theme, but at the same time, the movie's really pop-culture entertainment."

While the original plan was to squeeze the entire series into one movie, Caruso says the film will cover the first 14 issues of the comics. He adds that this opens the door for a trilogy.
LaBeouf doesn't feel right to me, and Caruso is plain wrong, but at least we can rejoice knowing they won't try to fit the entire story in one movie.

number8
01-30-2008, 06:14 PM
LaBeouf doesn't feel right to me, and Caruso is plain wrong, but at least we can rejoice knowing they won't try to fit the entire story in one movie.

What's he wrong about? Man-child becoming a man? That's exactly what Yorick is.

EvilShoe
01-30-2008, 06:19 PM
What's he wrong about? Man-child becoming a man? That's exactly what Yorick is.
No, I mean as Yorick.

He's not a bad choice, but somehow it doesn't feel right.

Henry Gale
01-30-2008, 08:03 PM
So it's official now? I remember since Disturbia came out Caruso was attached or at least wanting to make it and that separately LaBeouf was saying he wanted to play the character. So seeing as they've (now) made two movies together already it only seemed like a short while before it actually happened.

Also it'll be interesting with Vaughan actualy writing the script and him saying it won't be as hard for him to do as people think because it'll allow him to do away with things he felt was filler in the comics.

ledfloyd
01-31-2008, 03:04 AM
Also it'll be interesting with Vaughan actualy writing the script and him saying it won't be as hard for him to do as people think because it'll allow him to do away with things he felt was filler in the comics.
i don't think he ever said anything like that. based on his attitude in the interviews i've read, i doubt he considers anything in the comics filler.

the thing is though, vaughan has already completed a draft. it was reported awhile back caruso wanted carl ellsworth to do a draft. now with the trilogy thing, vaughan's draft was one movie. it seems like they aren't going to use his screenplay. which makes me slightly less interested.

i think shia is pretty good for the part though. even if i'd rather see joseph gordon-levitt.

Henry Gale
01-31-2008, 03:22 AM
i don't think he ever said anything like that. based on his attitude in the interviews i've read, i doubt he considers anything in the comics filler.

Maybe he didn't feel exactly like that, but this is the article I remembered:

Vaughan mentioned that adapting the series wasn't as difficult as some might expect. Being the creator of the series, Vaughan has always known where the book would go and is able to see the 60-issue run in a very simply three act structure. He noted that while many insist that a serial HBO series is the only way to do the franchise justice, he disagrees. He said one bonus of working on the screenplay is that it let him adjust all of the early material that he didn't like. He cautioned that he never wanted the book to be a glorified screenplay and that each project was its own entity.

megladon8
01-31-2008, 03:41 AM
I'm not too keen on Shia as Yorick.