PDA

View Full Version : Now You See Me (Louis Leterrier)

wigwam
05-31-2013, 08:22 AM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/deliciouschi/Now-You-See-Me-Teaser-Poster_zps2d2d5579.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1670345/

wigwam
05-31-2013, 08:23 AM
:|

Rowland
06-01-2013, 08:40 AM
The greatest trick this movie pulled was corralling enough superior acting talent to convince me it may be worthwhile. And like that, poof. My dignity is gone.

I hadn't seen anything by Leterrier since his one-two punch of Unleashed and Transporter 2 back in 2005, so I couldn't help wondering while I endured this profoundly inept product just what the hell Hollywood has done in the intervening years to the promising Besson protégé who directed those genuinely enjoyable movies.

Mr. McGibblets
06-05-2013, 01:38 AM
What a horrible ending.

It invalidates everything with Ruffalo that comes before it. And it's not even a good surprise, it's what one would guess if trying to come up with the worst possible twist.

Fezzik
06-06-2013, 04:44 PM
I...don't know what I think about this.

It's slick. It's got style. The principles are decent to good, but everything became so preposterous so quickly that my eyes started to glaze over.

About a half an hour in, I leaned over to my friend and said

with the way this is going, Ruffalo's probably gonna be the other guy.

*sigh*

In the end, I have to give it a nay. It vanished like vapor once I walked out of the theater.

Ezee E
06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
My friend absolutely loves magic and heist stories. So this was catered for him, and he brought me to it. I didn't really know anything about this movie, so I had no expectations.

Eek... This is not good. All the actors seem like they are collecting a paycheck here, with Melanie Laurent and Jesse Eisenberg showing that they may have the best talent currently. Anyway, the movie actually has good energy when it's following the magicians around. Some of their setpieces are fun, even if there's not any "real magic" on display like there was in The Illusionist and The Prestige. But once things get rolling, it focuses entirely on the cops and a strange Michael Caine/Morgan Freeman conflict. With it being a "heist" movie, the twists start happening, and goes eye-roll worthy. Then at the end. The biggest eye roll from me in quite some time. Yeesh.

Thirdmango
07-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I liked this one. I love me some Dave Franco and he did not disappoint. I feel like with this movie especially if at any point your suspension of disbelief doesn't work then the movie is over for you.

Also as to the ending: I don't think having Ruffalo be the guy invalidates the choices he made before that. As a magician you are supposed to pull the wool over everyone'e eyes and that was his intention, he needed everyone to believe he was a dumb cop that didn't believe in magic, so that's how he formulated his choices.

Ezee E
07-15-2013, 07:57 PM
I liked this one. I love me some Dave Franco and he did not disappoint. I feel like with this movie especially if at any point your suspension of disbelief doesn't work then the movie is over for you.

Also as to the ending: I don't think having Ruffalo be the guy invalidates the choices he made before that. As a magician you are supposed to pull the wool over everyone'e eyes and that was his intention, he needed everyone to believe he was a dumb cop that didn't believe in magic, so that's how he formulated his choices.

Even when nobody is around him?

Thirdmango
07-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Even when nobody is around him?

I don't remember a moment in that movie that he was alone.

Thirdmango
07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Yeah, thinking about it you actually helped my concept. He was never alone in the movie. There were moments where he seemed alone, like when he was drinking in the full bar and the girl walked up on him, but there were no scenes of him by himself.

Thirdmango
07-15-2013, 08:07 PM
The entire concept of magic is such that there is a magician and an audience. You can't really do magic when there isn't someone there to be tricked.

Ezee E
07-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Yeah, thinking about it you actually helped my concept. He was never alone in the movie. There were moments where he seemed alone, like when he was drinking in the full bar and the girl walked up on him, but there were no scenes of him by himself.

I don't remember now to be honest. At the time, was pretty sure about it. Dunno, not particularly interested in looking at it again.

Dukefrukem
09-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Good popcorn flick. It was about 20 minutes too long and I haven't yet decided whether I like the ending or not .

Gamblor
09-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Found this insufferable for pretty much the entire running time.

eternity
10-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I had things to say about it last night but that this movie doesn't deserve my words.

Skitch
03-11-2014, 02:00 AM
Completely predictable in every way.

Irish
05-28-2014, 11:45 PM
Preposterous and stupid. The best thing about this movie is the song that plays over the end credits.

Gotta echo earlier sentiments: How did they trick this cast into making this movie? So much talent and all of them phone it in.

I'm also mystified that they invested so much time in introducing the "Four Horseman," and then completely ditched those characters after the first act. Why? They were the only entertaining part of it. Instead, we're stuck following Mark Ruffalo's gray faced FBI agent.

My biggest complaint: For a movie that talks a lot of nonsense about magic and magicians, there aren't many tricks. Like three? four? in the whole damn movie. The first "trick" is staggeringly obvious. The second isn't a trick at all, but run of the mill wire fraud (which the movie doesn't even bother to explain). The final "tricks" involve an incredible amount of variables outside the trickster's control.

I like good magic and a good heist, but these kind of movies need to play fair with the audience. This one doesn't, and what's most insulting is that it doesn't even bother to try. It actually tries to pass off showmanship as intelligence.

Spinal
07-08-2015, 03:45 PM
This was the DUMBEST movie I have seen in a long time. Such a terrible ending.

Spinal
07-08-2015, 03:55 PM
The final "tricks" involve an incredible amount of variables outside the trickster's control.

Like a dangerous magic trick involving multiple vehicles performed in the middle of heavy traffic. Come fucking on.

DavidSeven
07-24-2016, 08:39 AM
I feel dumber for having seen this movie. Haven't tossed out a ZERO in some years, but this "earned" it. Just insulting from basically first frame to end.

Given the talent and a greenlit (now produced) sequel, I figured it might be good for a lark. But no, this is the kind of movie that actually makes you question how you're using your time.

I respect everyone involved in this a little less than I did before.