PDA

View Full Version : What Podcasts Do You Subscribe To?

Kurosawa Fan
01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I was going to put this in the music forum, but none of the podcasts I subscribe to have anything to do with music, so I figured this would be the better spot.

Anyway, I posted this to see what you guys listen to, and get some suggestions about good podcasts. I also want to pimp the only 4 I listen to regularly, which are as follows (ranked in order of preference):

This American Life
The B.S. Report
Baseball Prospectus
NPR Movies

So.. yeah. Answer the question. What podcasts do you subscribe/listen to regularly?

Sycophant
01-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I listen to This American Life more on the radio, but I occasionally listen to the podcast incarnation. Otherwise, I have the Ricky Gervais Show on my MP3 player but haven't really given it a listen beyond the first two episodes. Podcasts... just aren't my bag.

D_Davis
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
The Hollywood Saloon
Mondo Movie
Cinemaslave
IGN Game podcasts
1UP Radio (GFW podcast being my favorite)
Game Theory
StarShipSofa
Electronic Periodical
Genrebusters
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
Real Time with Bill Maher

Velocipedist
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Wfmu sometimes.

Saya
01-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Filmspotting
The Legendary Thread
GFW Radio aka The Brodeo
1up Yours (if there are interesting topics/guests)

D_Davis
01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
GFW Radio aka The Brodeo

I love The Brodeo! Man, Sean's Second Life stories as of late have been amazing.

shaun
01-29-2008, 06:59 PM
A ton, but I don't have my iPod on me so I'm just going by shitty memory.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
IndieInterviews.com
Baseball Prospectus
Once More, with Feeling (Jenny Owen Youngs and Bess Rogers talking about random crap for an hour)
Film Forum Podcasts
WNYC Soundcheck
Sundance Film Festival Video Podcast
Suicide Girls Video Podcast (you know, for kids)

D_Davis
01-29-2008, 07:03 PM

This is a good one, too.

Saya
01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
I love The Brodeo! Man, Sean's Second Life stories as of late have been amazing.

Yep! His stories had me in tears! "A Cthulhu of phalluses" and the "raining" part...crazy :lol:

Acapelli
12-05-2011, 08:01 PM
everyone needs to listen to brett gelman's "gelmania" podcast

Thirdmango
12-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Weekly Basis

Meet The Press
NPR's On The Media
This American Life (If the topic seems interesting)
The Diane Rehm Show
NPR: It's all Politics

Semi-weekly or when I get around to it

Frontline
The Geekshow Podcast (Utah Based)
The Mediocre Show (Philadelphia Based)

Then finally iTunes has the show with ze frank republishing all of the old episodes so I've been downloading each one.

Sycophant
12-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Old thread is old!

The only podcast I listen to with any regularity is Marc Maron's WTF.

Thirdmango
12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Old thread is old!

The only podcast I listen to with any regularity is Marc Maron's WTF.

Ha, I totally didn't notice until you said so.

Lazlo
12-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Doug Loves Movies
The AV Club's Reasonable Discussions

Starting to get into Comedy Bang Bang but the episodes are a bit long. I don't spend a whole lot of time in the car which is really the only place I can find time to focus on a podcast.

Acapelli
12-05-2011, 08:38 PM
cbb is the best

number8
12-05-2011, 08:55 PM
The Q&A, Pop Culture Happy Hour and Savage Lovecast are the three I keep coming back to.

Watashi
12-05-2011, 08:57 PM
The Match-Cut podcast.

Oh wait...

Acapelli
12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Comedy Bang Bang
Doug Loves Movies
Analyze Phish
Gelmania
How Did This Get Made
improv4humans
The Todd Glass Show
You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes
Superego
The Pod F. Thompkast

pretty much just comedy podcasts

D_Davis
12-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I recently joined a gym, and I've been meaning to check out some new podcasts to listen to whilst on the machines.

What exactly did I listen to before podcasts came along?

Anyhow, now I pretty much listen to:

Weekend Confirmed (video games)
The Giant Bombcast (video games - my personal favorite)
Gamers With Jobs (video games)
The Dice Tower (board games)
The Spiel (board games)
Freakonomics Radio
Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me
Car Talk

Ezee E
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
How do you work out and concentrate on a podcast?

number8
12-05-2011, 10:22 PM

I don't understand this question. Why would it be hard to do? You're just listening.

D_Davis
12-05-2011, 10:27 PM

I usually skip the quizes at the end.

The gym has TVs to watch, but I'd rather listen to podcasts. Especially while doing my 30 minute cardio on the elliptical.

Philosophe_rouge
12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
I listen to my podcast at Sound on Sight (http://www.soundonsight.org/category/radio/podcasts-episodes-151-200/)/shameless plug

I also listen to Filmspotting, though sporadically

Ezee E
12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't understand this question. Why would it be hard to do? You're just listening.
I don't feel like you can actively concentrate on the podcast if you're trying to actively concentrate on lifting weights properly. Music works because it's simply atmosphere more then anything.

Watashi
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
I listen to my podcast at Sound on Sight (http://www.soundonsight.org/category/radio/podcasts-episodes-151-200/)/shameless plug

I also listen to Filmspotting, though sporadically
Filmspotting is awesome.

It's the only movie podcast I listen to.

EyesWideOpen
12-05-2011, 11:14 PM
I only listen to two and I love both. Giant Bombcast & WTF with Marc Maron.

ContinentalOp
12-05-2011, 11:29 PM
I like the WTF podcast, Spill.com's many podcasts and the We're Alive podcasts. I need some new ones to listen to. Will check out a few of the recs.

Mr. Pink
12-06-2011, 06:44 AM
No Joe Rogan podcast fans here? That's the one I listen to the most.

Mark Maron if he has a guest I like. Otherwise I can't stand the guy.
Star Talk Radio (Neil Degrasse Tyson's podcast).
Adam Carolla, also only if he has a guest I like.
Nerdist podcast occasionally.

I tried looking for other good ones, but the Joe Rogan podcast is consistently entertaining, so I mostly just stick to that.

Mr. Pink
12-06-2011, 06:54 AM
By the way, I think Rogan's stand up is mediocre at best, but his podcasts are awesome. The last one had one of his friends explaining in detail how he sold coke to Whitney Huston for three months straight.

EyesWideOpen
12-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I've only been listening to WTF for about six months and I've already listened to over 100 of them. At first I only listened to the one's from people I liked but then I started going from oldest to most recent (of the one's available on itunes) and I've found that I enjoy the one's by people I've never heard of (or don't really care for) just as much. So far out of 100+ episodes I've only disliked one. I've now only got about 20 or so till I'm caught up to the most recent and then I'm gonna listen to the premium episodes.

Thirdmango
12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
good recs guys I'm gonna check some out. Also the working out comment I will often have a tv show on my phone to watch while working out and podcasts work just as well. News programs are very good to work out to. Like Davis was saying it's mostly when I'm doing my cardio, but the trouble is if I focus like you suggest E then I'll actually do worse because I'll constantly be thinking about what I'm doing and when I'm actively thinking about working out while working out I tend to do less cause I think "Oh this is hurting, I shouldn't work out, I should be at home."

Acapelli
12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Doug Loves Movies
The AV Club's Reasonable Discussions

Starting to get into Comedy Bang Bang but the episodes are a bit long. I don't spend a whole lot of time in the car which is really the only place I can find time to focus on a podcast.
i'd recommend superego. episodes of it are only 30 minutes long and it's just concentrated excellence

vTEJLCgamos

Thirdmango
03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
This week's comedy bang bang may have been my favorite. Andy Daly is fantastic.

Winston*
03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
This week's comedy bang bang may have been my favorite. Andy Daly is fantastic.

The ending is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

kopello
03-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Never Not Funny, Comedy Bang Bang, and Freedomain Radio are my most listened to. I also enjoy Stuff You Missed In History Class/Stuff You Should Know, Todd Glass Show, Cato Institute's Event Podcast, Hardcore History, Talk of the Nation, Car Talk, Michael Feldman's Whad'Ya Know?, Thinking Atheist, Filmspotting, Battleship Pretension, and maybe a few others I can't think of. I spend a lot of my work day driving so I get a chance to listen to quite a few. If anybody has any recs for good music podcasts I would love to hear them.

ThePlashyBubbler
03-25-2013, 05:58 PM
By the Way, in Conversation with Jeff Garlin.

Garlin can get a bit annoying/obtrusive, but great guests so far.

ledfloyd
03-25-2013, 06:53 PM
So weird, I was just going to bump this.

By the Way is my new favorite podcast. I love Garlin. Even the JJ Abrams episode managed to hold my attention despite me having little to no interest in him. The most recent episode with Will Ferrell was the most candid and down to earth I've heard Ferrell. He's always seemed to have some schtick going on in other interviews I've seen with him.

I also really love The Pod F. Tompkast and Watkins Family Hour, but neither come out as often or regularly as I would like.

Comedy Bang Bang and WTF are difficult for me to keep up with and frequently have guests I don't care too much about.

Superego looks like a good lead, I'm going to have to check that out.

Winston*
03-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Comedy Bang Bang and WTF are difficult for me to keep up with and frequently have guests I don't care too much about.

Weird reason to skip Comedy Bang Bang episodes. It's not like you're going to learn anything about the guests anyway.

EyesWideOpen
03-25-2013, 10:17 PM
The Giant Bombcast and WTF are the two I listen to religiously. I enjoy the WTF's where I don't know the person or dislike them usually more then the interviews of people I love.

D_Davis
03-25-2013, 10:21 PM
I've recently added to the mix:

NYC's Radiolab - probably the best produced radio show I've ever heard.
SonicTalk - podcast about music technology from the blokes over at Sonic State. It's a live internet video show that they make a podcast out of. I wish it was better produced, but a lot of the guys live all over the world so you have to deal with Skype in stuff.
Idle Thumbs - the most intelligent and humorous video game talk, back on the net.

shaun
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
A ton, but I don't have my iPod on me so I'm just going by shitty memory.

IndieInterviews.com
Baseball Prospectus
Once More, with Feeling (Jenny Owen Youngs and Bess Rogers talking about random crap for an hour)
Film Forum Podcasts
WNYC Soundcheck
Sundance Film Festival Video Podcast
Suicide Girls Video Podcast (you know, for kids)This is interesting. 5 years later my subscribed podcasts are

ESPN First Draft
ESPN Inside Slant
NFL Draft Tracker
B.S. Report w/Bill Simmons
PaulDotCom Security Weekly
Exotic Liability (InfoSec)
TwoPlusTwo Pokercast - I only really listen to this around WSOP time otherwise they're super tedious.

ledfloyd
03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Weird reason to skip Comedy Bang Bang episodes. It's not like you're going to learn anything about the guests anyway.

It's more that their senses of humor don't appeal to me.

Kurosawa Fan
03-26-2013, 08:36 PM
By the Way is my new favorite podcast. I love Garlin. Even the JJ Abrams episode managed to hold my attention despite me having little to no interest in him. The most recent episode with Will Ferrell was the most candid and down to earth I've heard Ferrell. He's always seemed to have some schtick going on in other interviews I've seen with him.

Listened to the Will Ferrell episode today. Really enjoyed the show, but Garlin's laugh went from slightly endearing to downright annoying pretty quickly. I can see that being a problem for me going forward. It sounds so bombastic, even though I'm pretty sure it's genuine.

ledfloyd
03-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Listened to the Will Ferrell episode today. Really enjoyed the show, but Garlin's laugh went from slightly endearing to downright annoying pretty quickly. I can see that being a problem for me going forward. It sounds so bombastic, even though I'm pretty sure it's genuine.
I linked that episode to a friend of mine who is a huge Ferrell fan, and he had the same complaint. He seems to be a divisive figure, but his laugh just makes me laugh even harder.

Skitch
03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Fatman on Batman: Kevin Smith can be annoying sometimes, but I could listen to Paul Dini and Bruce Timm talk about Batman for hours and hours...

Thirdmango
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
I really like Nerd Poker. You have to start from the beginning, and it's basically just a bunch of people playing D&D, but I love it.

Thirdmango
03-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Also, I don't remember if I mentioned this but I went to Comedy Bang Bang when it was live at Sundance. It was really funny live and definitely something I would recommend if you ever have a chance to see it live.

Also it doesn't update often but The Dead Authors Podcast is really good. The one with Nietzsche and Lovecraft is the best and then the one with The Four Gospels is my second favorite.

ledfloyd
03-27-2013, 05:10 PM
I need to get into The Dead Authors Podcast, if for no other reason than my newfound love of all things Paul F. Tompkins.

Irish
03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
A lot of daily news during the week:

BBC Newshour
BBC Global News
BBC Africa Today
BBC World Business Report
APM Marketplace
PBS Newshour
NPR Hourly News Summary
NPR World Story of the Day
The Economist "All Audio"
BBC Witness
Mule Radio's Evening Edition

Weekend listens:

This American Life
Scriptnotes (John August)
KCRW's The Treatment (Elvis Mitchell)
Writing Excuses (Brandon Sanderson et al)
On the Media (WNYC)
Press Publish (Nieman Journalism Lab)

I've got a script set up, so every morning I can just trigger it from Apple's menu bar & iTunes will open & all the podcasts will update themselves.

Derek
03-28-2013, 03:45 AM
I need to get into The Dead Authors Podcast, if for no other reason than my newfound love of all things Paul F. Tompkins.

It's about as Paul F. Tompkins-y as it gets. It's somewhat hit-or-miss, though even the lesser episodes (like the Emily Dickinson one) have their moments.

ledfloyd
05-03-2013, 05:04 PM
http://www.nerdist.com/2013/04/the-k-ohle-1-the-boat-show-with-paul-f-tompkins/

This podcast is promising.

Derek
05-03-2013, 05:14 PM
WNorm MacDonald's new podcast is glorious. Highly recommend the Super Dave and Larry King eps.

ContinentalOp
05-03-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm also having a lot of fun with Norm's podcasts. Also liked the Billy Bob Thornton and Tom Green episodes. He picks interesting guests and uses his disarmingly detached charm to bring out interesting conversations. Like Norm's playful abuse of his perfectly lame sidekick throughout.

Kurosawa Fan
05-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Holy hell, the Mitch Hurwitz episode of By the Way was insufferable. If you didn't want to participate, you could have just said no, Mitch. Would have been better than acting as though the conversation was a waste of your time. I couldn't even finish it.

ledfloyd
05-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Holy hell, the Mitch Hurwitz episode of By the Way was insufferable. If you didn't want to participate, you could have just said no, Mitch. Would have been better than acting as though the conversation was a waste of your time. I couldn't even finish it.
I got enough out of it that I made it through, but yeah, it was weird how he kept wanting the show to be a more typical talk show, like The Tonight Show or something.

Neclord
05-03-2013, 07:38 PM
God, so many. I listened to a ton I had backlogged and I still have nearly a day's worth of podcasts on itunes.

Comedy Bang! Bang!
improv4humans
The Pod F. Tompkast
Stop Podcasting Yourself
Judge John Hodgman
The Dana Gould Hour
Call Chelsea Peretti
Mike and Tom Eat Snacks
Nerd Poker

among others.

Winston*
05-05-2013, 10:53 PM
WNorm MacDonald's new podcast is glorious. Highly recommend the Super Dave and Larry King eps.

Don't think anyone else could make reading Albert Fish's biography so funny.

Derek
05-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Don't think anyone else could make reading Albert Fish's biography so funny.

Oh god, how could I forget the Fred Stoller podcast. That was amazing.

Have you watched any of them on YouTube? I've only been listening, but I imagine some of the humor is lost without the video.

Winston*
05-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Oh god, how could I forget the Fred Stoller podcast. That was amazing.

Have you watched any of them on YouTube? I've only been listening, but I imagine some of the humor is lost without the video.

Yeah, that's how I've been watching it. I wouldn't want to experience it without Norms mock offended looks.

Derek
05-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Yeah, that's how I've been watching it. I wouldn't want to experience it without Norms mock offended looks.

Just watched the joke segment w/Super Dave and it was even more amazing. I'll start saving this one for watching at home. Norm's pudginess makes it even better. I hope he doesn't lose the weight anytime soon.

Winston*
05-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Along the same lines, does anyone watch The Chris Gethard Show? Easily my favourite American late night talk show.

Gittes
06-27-2014, 02:19 PM
I listen to Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews every week (I'm kind of surprised this one wasn't mentioned already). That's my favourite, but I also listen to the following with less regularity:

- Nerdist: I listen to this podcast for the guests. I can't stand Chris Hardwick's voice, especially when he adopts a very specific cadence, and affects this dumb, stilted, and vaguely mocking voice. He does this with such incredible frequency, and sometimes I'm not even sure why he's doing it or there are times where that particular inflection doesn't seem warranted. I also find @Midnight annoying and I do not enjoy hearing Hardwick repeatedly exclaim, "Point!"

- The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith: I learned about this one from this thread, and I'm grateful for that.

- NPR: Pop Culture Happy Hour: I've only listened to one episode so far, but it was quite good.

- Idle Thumbs: I was listening to the Giant Bombcast for a short while, but I recently switched to Idle Thumbs after I noticed it was mentioned in this thread. The Giant Bombcast gets a lot of praise, but it's kind of annoying that the hosts take so long to actually begin addressing games (from what I've read, this is not an unusual complaint). Based on the few episodes I listened to, their digressive maundering isn't terribly interesting, so it doesn't really compensate for the initial lack of video game discussion.

Also, one member of the team (I believe his name is Brad) has a slightly grating voice. He sounds so terribly blasé about everything. His vaguely disinterested, monotone remarks can come across as that of a seasoned journalist for whom the industry seems to be providing little excitement. The other members convey some enthusiasm but Brad, inadvertently or otherwise, tends to sound really unimpressed. While I've only listened to two episodes of the Idle Thumbs podcast, there is a colossal difference in terms of the amount of enthusiasm and passion that is conveyed. Also, they seem to spend most of their time actually (and thoughtfully) discussing video games.

- By the Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin: The guests are very good (Vince Gilligan, Matt Weiner, Larry David, etc.), but Garlin's paroxysms of laughter are quite bizarre. It's sometimes unclear if it's actually laughter. Typically, the guest will say something that delights Garlin, prompting a violent exclamation from him (i.e., a sudden, loud, and high-pitched recitation of whatever the guest just said). Occasionally, Garlin seems determined to build a laugh from the momentum of his exclamation. At this point, it sometimes seems like he's trying to will himself into a laughing fit, with varying degrees of success. The listener is then left with delirious, idiosyncratic reactions that seem to straddle sincerity and insincerity.

He can also come across as a tad oblivious and insensitive, and can take an interview in directions that do not complement his guests' temperament, disposition, train of thought, etc. The Matt Weiner interview was kind of a painful listen at times, as Garlin occasionally seemed desperate to interrupt Weiner's response in order to blurt out his own contribution. Despite all of this, Garlin comes across as a nice person and, overall, the interviews are enjoyable.

- Inside Breaking Bad: These podcasts were a very memorable and satisfying part of my viewing experience of Breaking Bad, particularly season 5B. I really enjoy listening to Vince Gilligan, as I find him to be very affable and eloquent. The guests (i.e., people from the cast and crew) were often great, as well.

ledfloyd
06-27-2014, 05:26 PM
My current haul:

This American Life
Radiolab
Planet Money
Freakonomics Radio
On the Media
Savage Lovecast
StarTalk Radio
99% Invisible
The Cinephiliacs
WTF, Comedy Bang! Bang!, and Doug Loves Movies depending on the guests
U Talkin' U2 to Me - which is hilarious, and which you should listen to if you haven't.

Acapelli
06-28-2014, 05:11 PM
u talkin u2 to me is the greatest podcast of all time

Winston*
06-28-2014, 07:43 PM
u talkin u2 to me is the greatest podcast of all time

I more partial to I Love Films.

Neclord
06-28-2014, 09:11 PM
I more partial to I Love Films.

I love I Love I Love I Love Films, not a fan of I Love I Love Films though.

Winston*
06-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Nothing has brought me more joy this year than stupid podcast. Also after over 20 hours of listening, I can finally say I've heard of the band U2.

Sycophant
06-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm so happy you all have been as lifted by U Talkin' U2 To Me? as I have. It's roughly my favorite thing. Hope they really do come back later this year. Could listen to Adam Scott Aukerman just bullshit all day, every day.

Skitch
06-28-2014, 10:16 PM
What is it about? I havent heard of it.

Sycophant
06-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Scott Aukerman and Adam Scott go through U2's discography (unlike Analyze Phish, they're both longtime fans), and talk about it, occasionally with a guest, and occasionally with not even mentioning U2 until an hour into the show. They riff so hard, so good.

For fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QWYfZLdkAE

Neclord
06-29-2014, 12:38 AM
But most importantly, they teach you the names of the members of the band.

ledfloyd
06-29-2014, 02:07 AM
Like Larry Clayton Jr.

EyesWideOpen
07-01-2014, 03:07 AM
- Idle Thumbs: I was listening to the Giant Bombcast for a short while, but I recently switched to Idle Thumbs after I noticed it was mentioned in this thread. The Giant Bombcast gets a lot of praise, but it's kind of annoying that the hosts take so long to actually begin addressing games (from what I've read, this is not an unusual complaint). Based on the few episodes I listened to, their digressive maundering isn't terribly interesting, so it doesn't really compensate for the initial lack of video game discussion.

Also, one member of the team (I believe his name is Brad) has a slightly grating voice. He sounds so terribly blasé about everything. His vaguely disinterested, monotone remarks can come across as that of a seasoned journalist for whom the industry seems to be providing little excitement. The other members convey some enthusiasm but Brad, inadvertently or otherwise, tends to sound really unimpressed. While I've only listened to two episodes of the Idle Thumbs podcast, there is a colossal difference in terms of the amount of enthusiasm and passion that is conveyed. Also, they seem to spend most of their time actually (and thoughtfully) discussing video games.

I can see where you're coming from on the Bombcast stuff. I've been listening since pretty much the beginning and Ryan Davis was the backbone of that show so losing him was tough. Patrick stopped doing the podcast around that time also and I really liked him also. I like Brad and Jeff but yeah they need to talk about videogames more and stop with the hour long email section they've had for the last month or so filled with nonsense poop questions, or countries beefing with each other. I also really don't care for Drew who replaced Ryan. He plays the most boring videogames imaginable and spends 90% of his time talking about F1 racing, paintball or military weaponry.

Looks like they hired two new people who make appearances on this most recent episode so hopefully that dynamic changes it up a bit.

D_Davis
05-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Anyone listen to Welcome to Night Vale?

It's a fiction podcast about the town of Night Vale, told through news reports and PSAs via a small town radio station.

Night Vale exists somewhere in between Twin Peaks, Area 51 and Cthulhuville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Night_Vale

number8
05-05-2015, 07:57 PM
I... tried.

D_Davis
05-05-2015, 09:08 PM
I... tried.

I might be in the same boat.

Love the premise, but the execution is a bit too on the nose.

Anyhow, I've only listened to 3 of like 90 episodes, so I'm going to give it more of a chance to see if it improves.

Scar
05-06-2015, 02:49 AM
Sword and Scale

ledfloyd
05-06-2015, 04:53 PM
My current haul:

This American Life
Radiolab
Planet Money
Freakonomics Radio
On the Media
Savage Lovecast
StarTalk Radio
99% Invisible
The Cinephiliacs
WTF, Comedy Bang! Bang!, and Doug Loves Movies depending on the guests
U Talkin' U2 to Me - which is hilarious, and which you should listen to if you haven't.

I've since added:

Invisibilia
Death, Sex, and Money
Serial
StartUp
Reply All
Love and Radio
You Must Remember This
Spontaneanation
Studio 360

It's possible I listen to too many podcasts...

D_Davis
05-06-2015, 05:16 PM
My current list:

Welcome to Night Vale
Common Sense with Dan Carlin
Invisibilia
On Being
Videogamer UK
Polygon's Quality Control
Idle Thumbs
Twin Peaks Rewatch
DLC
Gamers with Jons
Podcast Beyond
Sound of Play
Cane and Rinse (best video game podcast being made)
BBC Best of Natural History Radio
BBC A History of the World in 100 Objects
A History of Electronic Music
Player One
FUN With Kevin Gifford
The Adam Savage Project
Daft Souls
Sonic Talk
99% Invisible
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
Norm McDonald Live
8-4 Play
Giant Bombcast
Freakonomics
Radiolab

Sycophant
05-06-2015, 07:29 PM
For people who like movies, Matt Gourley's "I Was There Too" is great.

Also listen to "The Canon" pretty often, though both hosts occasionally drive me crazy.

EyesWideOpen
05-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Bombcast and the NBA related Grantland stuff (The BS Report, The Lowe Post, Bill Don't Lie)

Lazlo
05-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Also listen to "The Canon" pretty often, though both hosts occasionally drive me crazy.

"I Was There Too" sounds fun. I listened to the Goodfellas episode of "The Canon" and wanted to strangle Faraci. Maybe the most pompous, arrogant, over-the-top personality I've ever heard.

number8
05-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Woof. I can't listen to anywhere near that many. I do only Pop Culture Happy Hour regularly, with the occasional Citizen Radio.

D_Davis
05-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Podcasts are my main form of media/entertainment.

Rarely watch TV or movies. I like podcasts more.

Sycophant
05-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Podcasts are perfect for walking to school/while running errands, doing household chores like laundry-folding, and for listening to while playing most videogames. I don't listen to all my shows every week, but I do run into weeks sometimes where I get through them all and relisten to old favorites or dig around for new stuff. I'm in the middle of my fourth relisten of U Talkin' U2 To Me?

Winston*
05-06-2015, 10:05 PM

I really like it. Matt Gourley is a great host, so affable and enthusiastic.

number8
06-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Hahaha, wow, Barack Obama will go to Marc Maron's garage to record an episode of WTF.

Ivan Drago
06-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Film Junk
How Did This Get Made?
Movie Freaks

Neclord
08-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Hey dudes, I got acclaimed internet poster Dead and Messed Up to appear on mine and Q & T's podcast (https://onyourmarkgetsetreview.wordpre ss.com/2015/08/01/episode-37-quadrophenia/) to talk about Quadrophenia. You should invite him onto your podcast too.

Dead & Messed Up
08-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Hey dudes, I got acclaimed internet poster Dead and Messed Up to appear on mine and Q & T's podcast (https://onyourmarkgetsetreview.wordpre ss.com/2015/08/01/episode-37-quadrophenia/) to talk about Quadrophenia. You should invite him onto your podcast too.

Whoo, it's live!

Was a fun time, even with Q&T.

Skitch
08-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Subscribed. ;)

Ivan Drago
01-18-2017, 05:45 AM
What's the MC consensus on Bret Easton Ellis's podcast? I've heard a few episodes and personally like it a lot.

Skitch
01-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Didn't know he had one. I'll check it out.

Skitch
04-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Anyone else listening to S-Town? If so, here are the coordinates for John B's hedge maze. 33.202470, -87.131125

Compelling show. Curious to see how it ends up.

Dead & Messed Up
04-02-2017, 01:44 AM
No, but I'll give that a listen.

Slowly working my way through My Brother My Brother and Me, been hooked since last summer, 80 episodes into a 300+ episode podcast.

Skitch
04-02-2017, 01:51 AM
Sweet, thats commitment! S-Town is only 7 eps.

Winston*
04-02-2017, 02:01 AM
My fave

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/doughboys/

ledfloyd
04-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Anyone else listening to S-Town? If so, here are the coordinates for John B's hedge maze. 33.202470, -87.131125

Compelling show. Curious to see how it ends up.
I've been depressed since I finished it Saturday.

Dead & Messed Up
07-26-2017, 12:24 AM
Taking a break from My Brother My Brother and Me to dive into their side-project The Adventure Zone, where they play DND with their father and have names like Magnus and Taako Tacco (pronounced Taco Taco).

I don't know how long it'll be up, but the three brothers were on @Midnight last night, and it was funny as hell (http://www.cc.com/episodes/238h15/-midnight-with-chris-hardwick-july-24--2017----addfamilyruinasong-season-4-ep-4133).

D_Davis
07-26-2017, 12:36 AM
Adventure Zone is so good!

Dead & Messed Up
07-26-2017, 12:44 AM

I'm excited! I've heard the series gets better and better and even affecting as it goes, and the McElroys have honestly become an addiction for me since last year. I love how you can just feel their joy in sharing each other's company. It's such a nice alternative to insult comedy and cynicism.

D_Davis
07-26-2017, 12:47 AM
Totally agree. Their dad is my favorite part of AZ.

Skitch
07-26-2017, 12:54 AM
That sounds awesome!

Dead & Messed Up
08-08-2017, 04:36 PM

Don't know if you saw already, but some younger people did a fan film of The Adventure Zone, and... it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWot_8E4g2c

Henry Gale
08-08-2017, 05:34 PM
I just looked through the whole thread and I somehow never commented in it, despite over the years having been deeply into Comedy Bang Bang, How Did This Get Made?, Doug Loves Movies, Marc Maron, Kermode & Mayo's Film Review, U Talkin' U2 To Me? and a bunch of other Earwolf and adjacent comedy podcasts Acapelli listed in in this post from 2011 (http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showthread.php?474-What-Podcasts-Do-You-Subscribe-To&p=388410&viewfull=1#post388410) and then some.

And I still semi-frequent those, but the one constant and my #1 go-to, must listen from when it started to this day has always been and still is Who Charted with Howard Kremer and Kulap Vilaysack. At this point its mythology might be too dense and sprawling to jump into blindly, but their now conscious of that to re-explain and reiterate the insane amount of personal anecdotes, wild stories, and running jokes that have become embedded in the show over the years, all of which has made for a podcast that brings more consistent joy into my life than any possibly any series of any medium of the last several years.

Howard's long career in the comedy work and Kulap being married to Scott Aukerman means a lot of Bang Bang crossover of guests and references, who are mostly just their friends. Recent guests and frequent guests (who are truly guests in the sense that they're just thrust and absorbed into the manic energy and goofy philosophies of the show) include Paul F. Tompkins, Natasha Leggero (who Howard often sees bad movies with and reports back), Moshe Kasher, Lauren Lapkus, Eugene Cordero, Mike Mitchell & Nick Wiger, Lance Bangs, Jon Gabrus, Sean Clements, Seth Morris, Matt Besser, Nick Thune, Jackie Kashian, Mike Hanford, The Sklars, Milana Vayntrub, an amazingly candid Dino Stamatopoulos, Brandon Wardell, and just about every other Earwolf host and regular there is. Plus it was once one of the most frequent and purest sources of Harris Wittels just being himself and telling stories and commenting on pop culture, and we'll always have those now if not him himself.

So I dunno, I just can't recommend it enough, and I feel like it's often slept on in the conversation of the biggest and best comedy podcasts.

D_Davis
08-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Don't know if you saw already, but some younger people did a fan film of The Adventure Zone, and... it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWot_8E4g2c

Ha! That's pretty good.

Lazlo
08-08-2017, 06:23 PM
I've pimped it elsewhere on MC but apparently not in the podcasts thread. I've got a podcast that's just started:

I Was a Teenage Movie Critic (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/i-was-a-teenage-movie-critic/id1252200925?mt=2) "I Was a Teenage Movie Critic" is a podcast starring Joanne Spataro and Griffin Van Malssen. The pair wrote for The Charlotte Observer’s KidFlix/Teen Screens column between October 1997 and May 2002 when they were in middle and high school. The columns were reviews of kid and teen-focused recent movie releases and rose from a desire to see teenagers review the movies meant for teenagers rather than the stuffy adult critics who JUST DIDN’T GET IT, GOSH!

Now Joanne and Griffin are all grown up (sort-of) and are diving back into those old reviews and movies to see how opinions have changed and reminisce about their misspent movie-going adolescence.

Give it a chance if you get the time. We've done two episodes so far on RocketMan and Stepmom. The goal is to get into an every-other-week swing. Later this week we'll review FairyTale: A True Story. Eventually we'll get to some movies people care about, haha.

Skitch
08-09-2017, 12:26 AM
Enjoyed the first ep Lazlo, haven't gotten to second one yet. I subscribe to so many that I savor the ones the are more infrequent. Will get to it!

Has anyone (me included) mentioned Homecoming yet? Its a fictional narrative voiced by legit stars (Oscar Issac, Catherine Keneer, David Schwimmer) and its pretty damn good. Schwimmer has done an OUTSTANDING job creating a character so weasly and deplorable and awful that you dream about him getting whats surely coming to him. Good writing, good acting, I want more podcasts like this. Its like an audiobook in chapters released weekly.

Dukefrukem
08-09-2017, 12:26 PM
I've pimped it elsewhere on MC but apparently not in the podcasts thread. I've got a podcast that's just started:

I Was a Teenage Movie Critic (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/i-was-a-teenage-movie-critic/id1252200925?mt=2) "I Was a Teenage Movie Critic" is a podcast starring Joanne Spataro and Griffin Van Malssen. The pair wrote for The Charlotte Observer’s KidFlix/Teen Screens column between October 1997 and May 2002 when they were in middle and high school. The columns were reviews of kid and teen-focused recent movie releases and rose from a desire to see teenagers review the movies meant for teenagers rather than the stuffy adult critics who JUST DIDN’T GET IT, GOSH!

Now Joanne and Griffin are all grown up (sort-of) and are diving back into those old reviews and movies to see how opinions have changed and reminisce about their misspent movie-going adolescence.

Give it a chance if you get the time. We've done two episodes so far on RocketMan and Stepmom. The goal is to get into an every-other-week swing. Later this week we'll review FairyTale: A True Story. Eventually we'll get to some movies people care about, haha.

Subscribed on Google Play

BTW, google play is the perfect platform for podcasts.

Sycophant
08-10-2017, 02:30 AM
And I still semi-frequent those, but the one constant and my #1 go-to, must listen from when it started to this day has always been and still is Who Charted with Howard Kremer and Kulap Vilaysack. At this point its mythology might be too dense and sprawling to jump into blindly, but their now conscious of that to re-explain and reiterate the insane amount of personal anecdotes, wild stories, and running jokes that have become embedded in the show over the years, all of which has made for a podcast that brings more consistent joy into my life than any possibly any series of any medium of the last several years.

Oh man, I used to love Who Charted. It and CBB were what got me into podcasts at all. I wish I still loved Whooch, but I just can't get into it anymore. I think it was with the end of Two Charted that I never quite connected to the show the same way. Probably the biggest personality friction for me was that eventually the badness of Howard's opinions was sticking to me more often than the weirdness of his opinions. His opinions are... so bad.

Sorry to say such mean things about a podcast you love! I should listen again and see if I connect to it any better. Maybe I just needed some cooldown time. It's been a few months since I tried an episode. I should see if there's been any guests I particularly like lately.

Henry Gale
08-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Oh man, I used to love Who Charted. It and CBB were what got me into podcasts at all. I wish I still loved Whooch, but I just can't get into it anymore. I think it was with the end of Two Charted that I never quite connected to the show the same way. Probably the biggest personality friction for me was that eventually the badness of Howard's opinions was sticking to me more often than the weirdness of his opinions. His opinions are... so bad.

Sorry to say such mean things about a podcast you love! I should listen again and see if I connect to it any better. Maybe I just needed some cooldown time. It's been a few months since I tried an episode. I should see if there's been any guests I particularly like lately.

Ahaha, nah I hear you, but to me that's one of the greatest charms of him and of the show at large to the show to me, just a vivid window into the mind of someone so singularly passionate and specifically insane with a lot of his very particular (and mostly innocent) worldviews.

To me, for all his affections of millennial culture, he is a just beautiful curmudgeon, but more importantly, simply one of the funniest people around and an absolute treasure. Plus it's currently Summah, where he is in his element, and the episodes are always better for it.

Winston*
08-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Haven't listened to Who Charted in ages either, though CBB is still a must listen - literally been listening since before it was a podcast. This last week's was great.

Do you listen to Doughboys, Henry Gale?

Dukefrukem
08-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Anyone sports fans listen to the recent BS podcast? :)

Lazlo
08-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Anyone sports fans listen to the recent BS podcast? :)

Purposefully skipped that one. :cool:

And thanks y'all for downloading!

Posted the iTunes link because that seems to be the dominant way people get podcasts. Apple user bias for sure.

Skitch
08-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Its pretty easy to get your feed on podbean and stitcher. I try to put everywhere they let me, especially if its easy. ITunes is the biggest...and most difficult.

Dukefrukem
08-11-2017, 01:03 AM
iTunes is the worst.

Google Play is the best.

Skitch
11-03-2017, 10:12 PM
I'm 4 episodes into The Adventure Zone, and its so good it almost makes me angry I didn't hear about it sooner. Has anyone listened to their other show My Brother, My Brother, And Me? Any good?

D_Davis
11-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Yes. It's good. It gets better the more you listen to it, as you learn more about the brothers and their lives.

Dead & Messed Up
11-03-2017, 10:24 PM
I'm 4 episodes into The Adventure Zone, and its so good it almost makes me angry I didn't hear about it sooner. Has anyone listened to their other show My Brother, My Brother, And Me? Any good?

YES.

I'm on episode 131 of well over 300 episodes. It was consistently funny for a long time, but somewhere around 100 they kicked the volume up. Their riffs on Garfield, ghosts, EDM, and the dark days of McDonaldland have been amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkH48O5vZ7A

Skitch
11-04-2017, 12:05 AM
Added.

Watashi
11-04-2017, 02:27 AM
I hate when I stumble upon a new podcast that has 300+ episodes. It's like where do I start?

My current favorite podcast is Blank Check w/ Griffin & David. One of the funniest movie podcasts I've ever listened to.

D_Davis
11-09-2017, 07:53 PM
One of the first podcasts I ever got into was Mondo Movie. Two guys, Ben and Dan, from the UK who reviewed all sorts of genre films and underground cinema. Their stuff was great. But sadly MM ended. Their forum was also one of the first film forums I ever participated in.

However, just about a year ago they started up a new podcast - Streampunk. They're basically doing the same thing, again, but this time they're focusing on films that are readily available on all the various streaming services.

Ben and Dan are super cool guys - smart, funny, and well spoken. They often have some insightful and entertaining things to say about the movies they review.

Highly recommended.

Skitch
11-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Scene, The Adventure Zone...Taaco stumbles upon a dead skeleton with a robe...

Taaco: "Can I check if the robe is magical?"
Griffin: "Sure, roll for arcane."
Taaco: *rolls* "I rolled a one. I try to eat the robe."

Guys I almost wrecked my fucking truck today after that. Coughing fit, tears streaming down my face, I was a total disaster. :D

D_Davis
11-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Magically delicious?

bac0n
02-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Does anybody here listen to The Hilarious World of Depression podcast (https://www.apmpodcasts.org/thwod/)? It's incredible, beautiful, and at times heartbreaking.

I just listened to a deeply affecting interview with Gary Gullman, who was in a particularly difficult part of his illness back in 2016, right when his State Abbreviation routine was lighting the internet on fire. Incredibly moving.

number8
02-09-2018, 06:47 PM
I guess I haven't posted in this thread in a long time. I'll just post the list that's currently on my podcast app in alphabetical order (Warning: a lot of NPR ahead).

- Ask Me Another
- Atlanta Monster
- Code Switch
- Embedded
- Hello From the Magic Tavern
- How Did This Get Made?
- It's Been a Minute with Sam Sanders
- Misandry with Marcia and Rae
- My Favorite Murder
- Nancy
- Politically Re-Active
- Pop Culture Happy Hour
- Popcast
- Sex Out Loud with Tristan Taormino
- Slow Burn: A Podcast About Watergate
- Song Exploder
- Switched on Pop
- Whiting Wongs with Dan Harmon and Jessica Gao
- You Must Remember This

D_Davis
02-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Your list has a lot of overlap with my wife's list. Some good stuff.

For me, right now I'm listening to:

Waking Up with Sam Harris
Giant Bombcast
Giant Beastcast
GeekNights with Rym and Scott
The Polyhedron Collider
Streampunk
Ding & Dent
Watch Out for Fireballs
Freakonomics
Shut Up & Sit Down
The Dice Tower
Sonic Talk

ledfloyd
02-12-2018, 01:30 AM
Current subscription list:

This American Life
Radiolab
Serial
More Perfect
Invisibilia
Revisionist History
Embedded
Code Switch
Freakonomics
Planet Money
The Uncertain Hour
On the Media
Reply All
Uncivil
Ear Hustle
99% Invisible
Heavyweight
The Ezra Klein Show
Every Little Thing
The Weeds
Film Comment
The Cinephiliacs
Song Exploder

Ivan Drago
02-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Poor Man's Movie Review
Movie Freaks
Spinoff
Bret Easton Ellis Podcast
WTF with Marc Maron
Film Junk Podcast
Mortified
How Did This Get Made?
Predetermined: A Wrestling Podcast
WrestleRamble by Wrestletalk

Thirdmango
02-13-2018, 05:56 AM
Current List:

The Adventure Zone
At Wit's End (Comedy podcast I'm on some weeks)
Comedy Bang Bang
Doug Loves Movies
My Brother, My Brother and Me
NBC Meet The Press (audio of the tv show)
On The Media
PodQuiz
Real Time with Bill Maher (audio of the tv show)
Reply All
Sam Roberts' Wrestling Podcast
Something to Wrestle With Bruce Prichard
The Steve Austin Show (Wrestling)
Talk is Jericho (Wrestling)
Team Tiger Awesome
Trivial Warfare
What Happened When (Wrestling Podcast)

TGM
02-19-2018, 04:27 AM
So I shared this in the creative thread in parts, a podcast interview where we discussed my films and books and the creative processes behind them and such. But now that the full interview's been uploaded, I went ahead and posted it to my blog. So for anyone who hasn't listened to it yet but might be interested, check it out. ;) https://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-anti-plastic-cascade-podcast.html

Winston*
02-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Love that Scott and Scott are back. Actually a band Id want to listen along with this time too.

Skitch
03-01-2021, 07:48 PM
Chazz Palminteri has started a podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9-sgcuDI-X9lbYt9PC3Bag

megladon8
03-03-2021, 09:26 PM
Did anyone else listen to the Bruce Springsteen/ Barack Obama podcast on Spotify?