PDA

View Full Version : Blancanieves (Pablo Berger)

EyesWideOpen
05-11-2013, 04:01 PM
imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1854513/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1a)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/gothamcentral79/blancanieves-2012-1b_zpsa92bf8fe.jpg (http://s213.photobucket.com/user/gothamcentral79/media/blancanieves-2012-1b_zpsa92bf8fe.jpg.html)

EyesWideOpen
05-11-2013, 04:01 PM
New thread. Please revote.

Grouchy
08-23-2013, 05:28 AM
Color me surprised that this has negative votes at all. Seems like a movie the Matchcut crowd should love.

Also:

Nobody knew about The Artist until it appeared in Cannes. It was completely out of the blue. I was in my office in Madrid, doing the storyboards for my film, when a producer friend sent me a text message from the festival saying, 'I've just seen The Artist, it's black and white and silent and it's going to be huge.' I almost threw my phone against the wall. The high concept (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_concept) was gone.

Shit happens when you party naked. This is a better film than The Artist.

baby doll
08-23-2013, 05:19 PM
So apparently this dude's never seen a Guy Maddin movie. That he was banking on a black-and-white silent movie being a novelty helps to explain why the film is such a miserable failure. It's hard for me to say whether or not it's better than The Artist because I thought both were lousy.

Grouchy
08-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I thought about that. Maddin did it first, no question, as early as 2002.

I disagree that this is a "miserable failure" and recommend it heartily.

baby doll
08-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I thought about that. Maddin did it first, no question, as early as 2002.

I disagree that this is a "miserable failure" and recommend it heartily.The question for me isn't who did it first (Thomas Edison was making silent movies back in 1895) but how well it's done, and neither The Artist nor Blancanieves has much of a story. (Berger's contempt for the viewer is pretty blatant when he has the villainness pull a poisoned apple out of thin air because the plot requires it.) Nor are they very interesting stylistically. Berger's idea of montage seems to be short bursts of fast cutting every few minutes to keep the viewer from nodding off, and neither director has much flair for staging. In short, both are silent movies for people who haven't seen a lot of silent movies and are amused by the novelty.

Gamblor
08-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Wasn't overly taken with this. Never outright bad but rarely very involving. Often inert despite all the efforts put into its aesthetic, and quite poorly paced. It's just there.

Grouchy
08-24-2013, 03:02 PM
The question for me isn't who did it first (Thomas Edison was making silent movies back in 1895) but how well it's done, and neither The Artist nor Blancanieves has much of a story. (Berger's contempt for the viewer is pretty blatant when he has the villainness pull a poisoned apple out of thin air because the plot requires it.) Nor are they very interesting stylistically. Berger's idea of montage seems to be short bursts of fast cutting every few minutes to keep the viewer from nodding off, and neither director has much flair for staging. In short, both are silent movies for people who haven't seen a lot of silent movies and are amused by the novelty.
I don't know if I should answer you... I always get the feeling that discussing stuff with you isn't very worthwhile.

But anyway, "a poisoned apple out of thin air"? You do know that's from the short story, right?

baby doll
08-24-2013, 03:34 PM
But anyway, "a poisoned apple out of thin air"? You do know that's from the short story, right?Nevertheless, the movie transposes the story to a modern, non-magical milieu. Yet Berger seems to think that simply making a silent movie excuses this sort of lazy storytelling. (Even worse, in The Artist when the dog comes to the rescue at the climax, the deliberate corniness of the scene implicitly flatters modern viewers for being more sophisticated than viewers in the silent era.)

Grouchy
08-24-2013, 03:47 PM
I actually agree with your point of view on The Artist, but I didn't have any problems with this film. I took it as a fantasy from the start, so I was kind of expecting poisoned apples and dwarves to make their way into the plot.