PDA

View Full Version : The To Do List (Maggie Carey)

eternity
05-08-2013, 06:59 AM
imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1758795/)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G-zhjhVeaws/UX1-8g_s-QI/AAAAAAAAA7Y/wlGZzq5iMzY/s1600/The-To-Do-List-movie-poster.jpg

eternity
05-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Essentially a female-centric American Pie fused with the bleakness of last year's Bachelorette. But unlike that film, we're expected to relate to and even like the characters, each of whom are clawing to be the most repugnant of the bunch. The audience I was with seemed to really enjoy it, but it was pretty dreadful. I'm going to have to re-learn how to like Aubrey Plaza, even though she's fearless in this.

Henry Gale
05-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Maaaan. I'm not sure I can convince myself to stay away from watching something that has Aubrey Plaza, Bill Hader (the writer/director is his wife, right?), Andy Samberg, Adam Pally, Connie Britton and Scott Porter (Tammy and Street!), Clark Gregg, D.C. Pierson, Donald Glover, Johnny Simmons, Alia Shawkat, Nolan Gould and probably a few more people I tend to really enjoy onscreen, even if I'd imagine they appear in inconsistent capacities.

eternity
05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
DC Pierson (and Dominic Dierkes, for that matter) is in it for literally ten seconds. That said, I was eager to see this for the same reason you are, and I'm afraid to say that it's almost the worst thing ask these people could have been part of together.

EyesWideOpen
08-03-2013, 04:31 AM
Bumping this since the duplicate thread was deleted. Revote if you voted in the other thread.

Mal
08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Someone should remake this movie or at least copy it and hire a better production crew. The last 15 minutes of the film were probably the best and it really nailed how horrible it is to be an awkward teenage girl. But alllllll of the raunchy material is been-there-done-that, so it just ends up feeling a little cheap. A good rental.

wigwam
08-09-2013, 01:37 AM
:|

Thirdmango
11-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Maggie Carey is a decent writer but not a very good director. The Comedy Bang Bang with Bill Hader made me want to see this a bit more and probably let me enjoy the movie more then I should have. I gave it a lot of leeway for my overall enjoyment and so I ended up liking it overall though I doubt I'd recommend it to anyone. Clark Gregg and Connie Britton are fantastic every time they're on screen.

eternity
11-20-2013, 11:13 PM
I really hate this movie. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate this movie.

Pop Trash
12-09-2013, 07:24 AM
I thought this was fun and engaging, however, it does feel like the poor man's Adventureland with more raunch and less filmmaking chops.

I agree with wigwam re: a lot of those sex terms not existing. I first heard most of them in the early 2000s. Most of the other 90s observations were pretty spot on: the dad reading Rush Limbaugh, Andy Samberg's hilarious wannabe Eddie Vedder impression, handjobs at The Firm, and my favorite: getting attacked by the automatic seatbelt. My dad's late 80s Toyota had those and that happened constantly.

A pet peeve of mine: actresses keeping their bra on during sex. So unrealistic. Every time that happens all I can think of is how they must have a "no nudity" clause in their contract and how if this were made in France or even the UK that wouldn't even be an issue.