PDA

View Full Version : For Your Consideration: Cutties 2013

Mara
05-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Once again, we're gearing up for the most prestigious, relevant, and respected television awards in the world. Voting will be in early June and the awards ceremony will be in late June.

As a reminder, you do not need to have seen all the shows to participate. You just need to have an opinion and a certain amount of arrogance. You already have that. You're on Match Cut.

This is your three week warning to get caught up on relevant shows that you've been meaning to watch. In order to be considered, the season must have premiered between June 2012 and May 2013.

I am trying to cull the list to shows that might actually be nominated, so please add which shows you think you might want to vote for, and I will add them to the list.

COMEDY
30 Rock S7
Adventure Time - S5
American Dad - S9
Anger Management S1
Arrested Development S4
Ben & Kate S1
Childrens Hospital S4
Community S4
Cougar Town S4
Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 S2
Enlightenment S2
Family Tree S1
Girls S2
Go On S1
Happy Endings S3
How I Met Your Mother S8
How to Live with Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life S1
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia S8
Louie S3
Maron S1
Modern Family S4
New Girl - S2
NTSF:SD:SUV:: S2
Parks and Recreation S5
Peep Show S8
Suburbatory S2
The Big Bang Theory S6
The League - S4
The Mindy Project S1
The Office S9
The Thick of It S4
Up All Night S2
Veep S2
Whitney S2
Workaholics S3

DRAMA
American Horror Story S2
Arrow S1
Banshee S1
Bates Motel S1
Black Mirror S2
Blue Bloods S3
Boardwalk Empire S3
Breaking Bad S5 Part I
Broadchurch S1
Bunheads S1
Castle S5
Continuum S1
Dexter Season 7
Doctor Who S7
Downton Abbey S3
Elementary S1
Fringe S5
Game of Thrones S3
Glee S4
Hannibal S1
Hemlock Grove S1
Homeland S2
House of Cards S1
Justified S4
Last Resort S1
Legit S1
Longmire S1
Mad Men S6
Misfits - S4
Once Upon A Time - S2
Orphan Black S1
Parenthood - S4
Person of Interest S2
Psych S7
Rectify S1
Revenge S2
Smash S2
Sons of Anarchy S5
Spartacus - S3
Suits S2
The Americans S1
The Bletchley Circle S1
The Following S1
The Good Wife - S4
The Walking Dead S3
Top of the Lake
Treme S3
Utopia S1
Vegas S1
Vikings S1
Warehouse 13 S4
White Collar S4

ANIMATED
Archer S4
Bob's Burgers - S3
Family Guy - S11
Gravity Falls S1
South Park S16 Part II
Superjail! S3
Tron: Uprising S1

TALK SHOW
Brand X with Russell Brand
Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe
Conan
Craig Ferguson
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
Real Time With Bill Maher
The Jeselnik Offensive S1
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show
The Eric Andre Show S1
Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell

VARIETY/SKETCH SHOW
Bunk!
Comedy Bang! Bang! S1
Inside Amy Schumer S1
Key & Peele S2
Kroll Show S1
Portlandia S3
Saturday Night Live S38

Notes:

Don't forget there is a "cancelled too soon" category.

Don't forget that some categories don't reflect on the overall quality of the show. If you think "Smash" had the best costume design, put it in the pool.

*Breaking Bad Season 5 Part II will qualify separately next year.
*Arrested Development slipped in under the wire. Everyone will need to get caught up quickly.

Mara
05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
I am quite sure I missed some shows that are new this year. Please look over the list and let me know if there is anything I should add.

Ezee E
05-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I enjoyed Top Chef for Reality!

I'm always very behind on these things as I only watch 3-6 shows for an entire year. Off this list, 4.5 shows.

Dukefrukem
05-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Same here Ezee. TV is just not my bag until the series is wrapped up and I can watch things in sequence.
The five excptions are;

Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Family Guy
American Dad
Bob's Burgers

Gizmo
05-07-2013, 02:28 PM
anyone else watch mythbusters or brain games?

ledfloyd
05-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I am quite sure I missed some shows that are new this year. Please look over the list and let me know if there is anything I should add.
Treme S3

Henry Gale
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Not that I thought it was a particularly great season, but why doesn't Season 8 of It's Always Sunny qualify? It premiered in September and ended in December of last year.

Curb Your Enthusiasm S8 doesn't qualify, as it aired in 2011.

These come to mind to add to Scripted Series:

Gravity Falls S1
Legit S1
Maron S1
NTSF:SD:SUV:: S2
Sons of Anarchy S5
South Park S16 Part 2
Superjail! S3
Tron: Uprising S1

(A lot of those leave me wondering: Are we doing an Best Animated category again?)

Late Night Talk or Variety Show

Jimmy Kimmel Live
The Jeselnik Offensive
Key & Peele S2
Kroll Show S1
Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell
Brand X with Russell Brand
Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe

and these could really go in either Scripted or Variety:

The Eric Andre Show S1
Comedy Bang! Bang! S1

Thirdmango
05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Alrighty, I compiled a list about a month ago of all the shows I'm currently watching. It's a lot, as usual. But some shows to add to the list:

Bunk
Continuum
Elementary
Go On
How to Live With Your Parents
Last Resort
Legit
Lifes Too Short
Longmire
Orphan Black
Vegas
Anger Management
The Big Bang Theory
Blue Bloods
Castle
The Office
Psych
So You Think You Can Dance
Suits
The Ultimate Fighter
Warehouse 13
White Collar
Whitney
Young Justice

Acapelli
05-07-2013, 06:31 PM
stuff not in the original post that could be added (should be in bold):

Banshee S1
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia S8
The Following S1
Up All Night S2
Suburgatory S2
Utopia S1
Peep Show S8
The Thick Of It S4
Vegas S1
The Office S9

Acapelli
05-07-2013, 06:34 PM
other stuff

Eric Andre Show S1
Jeselnik Offensive S1
Comedy Bang Bang S1
Inside Amy Schumer S1
Nathan For You S1
Kroll Show S1
Workaholics S3

Lucky
05-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Was there a 2nd season of Avatar Korra that I missed?

Lazlo
05-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Reality/Documentary:
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown
Witness (HBO)
VICE (HBO)

Late Night Talk or Variety:
Real Time With Bill Maher

EyesWideOpen
05-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Life's Too Short Season 1 doesn't count. They aired a special this year but the series ended way before our timeframe.

Mara
05-08-2013, 02:32 AM
Alrighty, I compiled a list about a month ago of all the shows I'm currently watching. It's a lot, as usual. But some shows to add to the list:

I'll be updating tomorrow, but are these all shows you would nominate for categories? And some of them didn't have qualifying seasons; I'll have to check.

It's Always Sunny was me reading Wikipedia wrong, I think. Thanks for the crowdsourcing, guys, I'll update tomorrow.

Mara
05-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Okay, I think I have everything on. A few recommendations did not meet criteria.

Some of these shows I know only from a quick Wikipedia search, so if I have them in the wrong categories, let me know.

A couple thoughts:

1. We can split animation off into its own category if you want. There are more nominees than I expected. Thoughts?

2. At this point, we could also split talk shows and sketch shows, since there are quite a few. Thoughts?

3. Would it be easier for you guys if I broke the huge scripted series down by comedy and drama? It would take some time but might make a more manageable list.

Mara
05-08-2013, 03:23 PM
I have saved the alternative version of the list, but let me know what you think of this one.

Lazlo
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I have saved the alternative version of the list, but let me know what you think of this one.

I like it.

Let the arguments over whether Girls is a comedy or drama begin!

ledfloyd
05-08-2013, 04:01 PM
I just noticed Enlightened S2 is also on the list. I'm not sure whether it qualifies as a comedy or a drama (probably comedy), but it's fantastic and was definitely cancelled too soon.

ledfloyd
05-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Also, more for my own reference than anything else, but shows I intend to attempt to prioritize:
Bob's Burgers S3
Bunheads S1
Children's Hospital S4
Rectify S1
The Thick of It S4

Henry Gale
05-08-2013, 05:16 PM
1. We can split animation off into its own category if you want. There are more nominees than I expected. Thoughts?

2. At this point, we could also split talk shows and sketch shows, since there are quite a few. Thoughts?

I'm in favour of both of these, except the only issue for sketch vs. talk is something like Comedy Bang Bang where it's technically a talk show, but entirely scripted and heavily sketch-based. It might be the only confusing case though.

Animation might actually be a tight enough race that just whittling down to five nominees could be tough for me.

3. Would it be easier for you guys if I broke the huge scripted series down by comedy and drama? It would take some time but might make a more manageable list.

With situations like Girls, Louie and Legit, it might just be easier to categorize them as Comedies for simply being half-hours, and subsequently all hour-longs as Dramas. By all other accounts, those shows are thought of as comedies because they run between 20 and 30 minutes, and get positioned for nominations in other awards as such, even though the material and tone of them don't exactly fit that bill. Plus, it's not like Glee or Smash (sorry, 8!) are well enough thought-of that we might run into the "Musical goes hand in hand with Comedy" argument.

Winston*
05-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell is a Daily Show-esque talk show, and I think Comedy Bang! Bang! is better categorized as a variety/sketch show.

Acapelli
05-08-2013, 11:08 PM
i'm having trouble thinking where eric andre should go. it is structured like a talk show, and it seems to me like the interview segments are unscripted

Mara
05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
...updated.

Where do I put Girls? The half-hour says comedy, but most comedy-dramas are being shuffled into drama. Let me know what you think.

ledfloyd
05-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I feel like "If it's on the fence, half hour = comedy and hour = drama" is a good rule of thumb.