PDA

View Full Version : Vikings (season 1)

Li Lili
04-17-2013, 12:17 PM
I usually don't watch TV series (apart every now and then Doctor Who), it's even probably the first time that I watched the all the episodes so far, and just watched episode 7 last night.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQplOcKYK2zJ oBziWMgRsJAZ5mRRNaMz5dkMjWjxiY pRlE01yIHLFuJOKPAfg

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

The HISTORY® original series Vikings transports us to the brutal and mysterious world of Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel), a Viking warrior and farmer who yearns to explore—and raid—the distant shores across the ocean. His ambition puts him at odds with local chieftain Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne), who insists on sending his raiders to the impoverished east rather than the uncharted west. When Ragnar teams up with his boat builder friend Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard) to craft a new generation of intrepid ships capable of conquering the rough northern seas, the stage is set for conflict.

But for all its warfare and bloodshed, Vikings is also a story of family and brotherhood, capturing the love and affection between Ragnar and his wife, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick), a respected warrior in her own right. It is the tale of Ragnar’s brother Rollo (Clive Standen), a fierce fighter who simmers with jealously; of Earl Haraldson’s wife Siggy (Jessalyn Gilsig), a dutiful beauty who may be less than loyal; and of the monk Athelstan (George Blagden), whose Christian morals clash with the Vikings’ pagan society. As ambition and innovation rattle a civilization, these characters will be put to the test—and their way of life will never be the same again.

Vikings was created and written by Michael Hirst (Elizabeth, The Tudors).

Anyway, it's alright, enternaining enough and quite well done, pretty sure some of you like it.

Qrazy
04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Feels like Sons of Anarchy in Viking times. I'm getting tired of this particular brand of formulaic, sex and violence filled, boring storytelling.

Li Lili
05-07-2013, 04:20 PM
ah ok.
well vikings weren't actually people like in Little House on the Prairie...

Thirdmango
05-07-2013, 07:11 PM
I've been meaning to pick this up. Still perplexed at it being a History channel original series, but that does add to my wanting to watch it in a way.

Qrazy
05-08-2013, 04:32 AM
ah ok.
well vikings weren't actually people like in Little House on the Prairie...

No, for sure there will be sex and violence but that's not what I mean. Someone posted an article about these types of shows in the past. Shows like The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, etc. Shows that just rub your face in ugliness. At least The Shield has a strong narrative core, personally I didn't get much out of Vikings. I also think the acting is uniformly quite terrible.