PDA

View Full Version : Mad Men (Season 6)

slqrick
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2013/01/23/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-shares-10-facts-about-season-6/_jcr_content/body/inlineimage.img.503.jpg/1358975328411.cached.jpg

I can't wait for all the symbolism.

Mara
04-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm excited.

A couple of months ago I really wasn't excited about anything on television. Now with The Americans, the return of Doctor Who, and this, I'm so happy.

slqrick
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
For some reason I've had a hard time getting back into Who.

A Game of Thrones/Mad Men double feature every Sunday for the foreseeable future, though, is pretty fantastic.

Dead & Messed Up
04-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Just finished Season Five yesterday. Soooo good. For all the talk about the characters never being able to get what they want, and how that's representative of human conditions and what have you, I got exactly what I wanted: Pete Campbell getting punched with frequency.

slqrick
04-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Watching the season five finale again, spoilers obviously, didn't like Don's hallucinations. Only thing that held it back for me. I feel like this season should be a lot more fun.

slqrick
04-08-2013, 02:21 AM
This is awesome so far.

Lucky
04-08-2013, 03:56 AM
...Don.

Kinda disappointed in AMC for their ad campaign this season. Wish they hadn't used the tag line "tune in for the affair of the season" and waited until the end of the 2 hours to drop that.

ThePlashyBubbler
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Missed this show so much. Great premiere. Lindsay Weir!

ledfloyd
04-09-2013, 01:42 AM
I will be inadequately reviewing this season, my first review is here: http://www.soundonsight.org/mad-men-ep-6-01-6-02-the-doorway-a-straight-line-to-you-know-where/

Neclord
04-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Whoa, that was Linda Cardellini? I didn't recognize her underneath that coiffure.

Anyway. Great. Fucking Don. Erm, not referring to Linda. Exasperatedly. Fucking Don.

Mara
04-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I don't have much to add other than to say I'm interested to see where the pieces get moved around this season, and to express that we feel a little overstuffed with characters. The show has never been loathe to write people out, so I'm surprised how many people we're keeping track of (including new suck-up Bob.)

I hope Ginsberg doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I found him so intriguing last year but we barely got to know him.

Also, Betty, for the love of all that is holy, never try dirty talk again. You are horrifying and I JUDGE YOU.

Dead & Messed Up
04-10-2013, 12:54 AM
I love the discordance between the old guard and all the stylin' hippies. And yeah, I hope for more Ginsberg.

Betty's dirty talk was utterly bizarre, but her trip to Bumtown USA was one of her most sympathetic storylines ever. I didn't even care when she lashed out and said they deserved everything they got. Poor Betty was trying to do the right thing, and then she got sidelined by helping them out.

I'm always rooting for Betty to escape the prissy-child rut she's been stuck in since the show's inception.

Ezee E
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Certainly not the Betty I've remembered. I introduced this show to my girlfriend with this season, discussed her briefly, and outside of a few lines in NYC (which weren't all that mean anyways), and a rather creepy "dirty talk," it was a much more sympathetic Bette. I guess she saw herself in the young violin player.

Hilarious use of Sterling throughout. His line of, "Why don't you just roll over here," during the funeral had me laughing out loud.

And agreed, needs more Ginsberg, but the younger advertisers as a whole were kind of lost in the shuffle this episode. I'm not too concerned about them disappearing.

What I did notice was how they discussed the previous year (in the news) being so violent, but that's nothing with what's about to come.

Winston*
04-13-2013, 11:10 PM
I laughed so hard when Don vomited at the wake. Mad Men is great with moments like that

Lucky
04-16-2013, 12:27 AM
My my, Trudy Campbell. Didn't think that was in you.

ledfloyd
04-16-2013, 12:43 AM
Amazing. "I gave you that apartment in the city!" in case anyone thought she didn't know what happened when he got punched last season.

Dead & Messed Up
04-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Seriously. That's one of those great moments that's utterly surprising and retrospectively obvious. Way to go, Trudy.

Don's subversion of the Jaguar pitch was also sharp. Loved how obvious the tactic was by the end ("used cars!"), and how Roger's bemused reaction got more and more bemusey.

slqrick
04-16-2013, 01:53 PM
The self immolation zinger was fantastic on multiple levels, especially given the time frame.

Mara
04-16-2013, 10:15 PM

She's always been smarter and savvier than Pete. I love how utterly in control she is of the situation.

Mara
04-17-2013, 12:17 AM
So I'm trying to piece together Don's past, because parts of it are confusing to me.

His father cheated on his stepmother with a prostitute, and when she died giving birth to him, he was taken in by dad and stepmom, who was unkind and kept referring to him as the whore's child.

Then, I guess while she was pregnant with Adam, his father was kicked to death by a horse. So, his step-mother went home (?) to her sister (?) who is a prostitute in a house run by "Uncle Mac," who is not his step-father (as I assumed) but instead the man who runs the brothel, where his pious-seeming step-mother becomes a prostitute as well?

I'm... confused.

slqrick
04-17-2013, 12:47 AM
So I'm trying to piece together Don's past, because parts of it are confusing to me.

His father cheated on his stepmother with a prostitute, and when she died giving birth to him, he was taken in by dad and stepmom, who was unkind and kept referring to him as the whore's child.

Then, I guess while she was pregnant with Adam, his father was kicked to death by a horse. So, his step-mother went home (?) to her sister (?) who is a prostitute in a house run by "Uncle Mac," who is not his step-father (as I assumed) but instead the man who runs the brothel, where his pious-seeming step-mother becomes a prostitute as well?

I'm... confused.

Essentially, I guess. I took her sleeping with Uncle Mac as "payment" for taking them all in.

DavidSeven
04-21-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't have much to add. I'm always happy when this show is in my life.

Don't know how I feel about going back to Don's distant past. Feel like I could do without it at this point, but I'll reserve judgment.

slqrick
04-22-2013, 06:03 PM
I admire the fact that Wiener seems to be going at great lengths to have the audience actively despise Don this season (how could you not after this episode?), but I feel like a little "oomph" is missing so far regarding his story. Loved the workplace stuff, and Harry's power play was simultaneously hilarious and swarmy, true to his character.

Mara
04-22-2013, 10:08 PM
I've always sort of despised Don. He is such a jerk.

He just happens to be the jerk I'm rooting for most of the time.

Although, the "jerk I'm rooting for" award today goes to Roger, who was so happy to let Harry dig his own grave at the board meeting. Smug awesome bastard.

Loved that we focused on Joan and Dawn.

The show is ringing the "Don thinks all women are whores" bell pretty hard this season. I've seen... what?... six or seven references so far.

Lucky
04-24-2013, 03:07 AM
I enjoyed the Dawn/Joan dynamic at the end. And the swingers.

I don't like where the Don/Peggy relationship is headed. Reminds me of Buffy/Giles territory toward the final leg of the show.

Mara
04-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Want to know what I think?

I think that Chaough (?) has feelings for Peggy, based on their interactions. They've already mentioned stresses in his marriage. I think he'll make a play for her, possibly successfully, and when his wife finds out and leaves him he'll have to liquidate his assets and will sell his firm to SCDP, which will bring Peggy back under the umbrella but with much more authority and prestige.

Irish
04-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Biggest disappointment is that they are now screaming subtext in the dialogue:

- the scene with Pete and the brown-noser dude. Pete says, dejectedly, "It's all about what it appears to be, isn't it?". Good God.

- the ending, where Don slumps down in front of the door to his apartment .. And they start playing "Just a Gigaglo" on the soundtrack. Fucking really?

Mara
04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
This was solid. It could easily have been a retread of the famous JFK episode, but instead they used it as an opportunity to reflect on how much things have changed (or haven't changed) since then. The bizarre scene with the insurance guy was a standout. And as always, Pete is surprisingly sympathetic on social issues.

Mara
04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Oh, and needless to say, I was thrilled for Ginsberg to have a plot. MORE GINSBERG ALL THE TIME.

ledfloyd
04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
The way he awkwardly blurted out that he was a virgin made ME want to sleep with him.

ledfloyd
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Also, the scene with Ted and Peggy at the banquet pretty much confirmed your crush theory.

Mara
04-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Also, the scene with Ted and Peggy at the banquet pretty much confirmed your crush theory.

I knew he liked her. He's all eyes when he's around her-- the actor plays it very well.

slqrick
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM
I would have said that Ted is too sleazy, but Peggy's already proven her taste with Duck. They've also given Teddy a bit more personality this season and slightly less douche, so that helps too. Loved the Pete/Harry confrontation, really great moment for Pete and true to what's been known about the character and his family's liberal views.

Lucky
04-30-2013, 03:15 AM
It was one of the very few times I liked Pete. His phone call with Trudy almost made me feel sorry for him. Let me highlight "almost."

DavidSeven
04-30-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm usually more forgiving than others when the show veers into bluntness, but I thought Don's monologue about his kids/own childhood was too much. Those sly looks he kept giving Cardellini near the beginning also felt unnecessary.

Dug the Ginsberg stuff.

ledfloyd
05-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Episode 6, in which Mara is proved a prophetess.

Mara
05-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Episode 6, in which Mara is proved a prophetess.

Well, duh.

Wheels are turning. Lots happened this episode without much build-up, so I'm reserving judgment until I see how it plays out.

The actor who was the guy with cancer was awful. It took me completely out of the scene.

slqrick
05-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Well, duh.

Wheels are turning. Lots happened this episode without much build-up, so I'm reserving judgment until I see how it plays out.

The actor who was the guy with cancer was awful. It took me completely out of the scene.

There's always an episode, in the later seasons especially, when shit starts hitting the fan out of nowhere, and I greatly enjoyed this one. I like the contemplative stuff (when it's not overtly hammy), but I really love when a bunch of the characters have their backs against the wall and have to figure out what to do from there.

I'm glad they fleshed out Teddy's character since his first couple of appearances where he was just a swarmy douche, because the episode wouldn't have worked otherwise. Should be interesting to see what happens from here, now that it seems like some previous status quo might be imminent. I was also really happy to see Roger get a big office win for once.

I laughed my ass off:

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2013/05/05/PeteFall.o.jpg/a_560x375.jpg

Lucky
05-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Holy pacing. How the heck did Don make this deal--not just personally, but legally--without consulting the partners?

Also, I wish they hadn't given Joan a ridiculous bracelet to wear during her outburst. The jangling kind of undercut her bite.

ledfloyd
05-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Holy pacing. How the heck did Don make this deal--not just personally, but legally--without consulting the partners?
I think part of it was that they didn't consult him about the IPO.

Mara
05-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Dear Don,

You are a disaster.

Sincerely,

The Universe

Mara
05-13-2013, 05:29 PM
By the way, it's worth following 80's Don Draper on Twitter.

Or else, just read this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone/the-best-of-80s-don-draper

DavidSeven
05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Loved Don asserting alpha male status over Ted through booze and then Ted flipping it on him through the plane ride. Also, Peggy's protectiveness over Ted is pretty endearing.

Mara
05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
I kind of love Ted. With his ridiculous turtlenecks.

Irish
05-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Loved Don asserting alpha male status over Ted through booze and then Ted flipping it on him through the plane ride.

I liked this too but it reminded me a little too much of the early altercation between Don and Roger (ie, we've already seen Don use booze as a weapon under the guise of friendship, and memorably too).

Plus, the final line in that scene ("What does it matter? You're still going to be the guy who flew up here in his own plane") pretty much shouts the payoff at the audience, just in case that they somehow, unfathomably, missed it. That's the kind of awkward, insecure writing that's creeping into the show now where it didn't exist before.

Irish
05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Favorite thing: the parallel storylines where both Don and Pete try and fail to control the women in their lives. And both sets of scenes play out in small, claustrophobic spaces that are purposefully and decidedly away from any concept of "home."

Also: Does anyone else think Joan might be pregnant? I have nothing much to base that on, except after years of TV watching it seems that any time any woman has any kind of medical issue, that's the reason.

And: Did anyone catch the title of the book Don swiped from his mistress?

Mara
05-13-2013, 06:09 PM
I liked this too but it reminded me a little too much of the early altercation between Don and Roger (ie, we've already seen Don use booze as a weapon under the guise of friendship, and memorably too).

This review:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/05/mad-men-man-with-a-plan.html

hypothesizes that pretty much everything in this episode has happened before. It's worth a look.

DavidSeven
05-13-2013, 06:15 PM

Yeah, it was an obvious call-back to that early episode. That actually made me appreciate it more.

DavidSeven
05-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Also: Does anyone else think Joan might be pregnant? I have nothing much to base that on, except after years of TV watching it seems that any time any woman has any kind of medical issue, that's the reason.

And: Did anyone catch the title of the book Don swiped from his mistress?

Joan said it was a cyst on her ovary.

The book was The Last Picture Show.

Mara
05-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Two thoughts:

*Is Cooper just... gone? I get that he retired with the merger, but I hope we would get a bigger exit for such a major long-term character.

*What was with Dawn's conspicuous absence? They kept lingering on the fact that she wasn't there, but we know she spoke to Peggy off-scream at some point.

Irish
05-13-2013, 06:29 PM
This review:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/05/mad-men-man-with-a-plan.html

hypothesizes that pretty much everything in this episode has happened before. It's worth a look.

Thanks for the link. That's a great article.

I think the difference for me between the Peggy/Joan callback (which I didn't pick up on) and the Don/Ted callback, is that the former notes the progression of these characters, how they and their relationship has changed. The latter just repeats a behavior and a kind of dynamic that we've seen before.

Irish
05-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Joan said it was a cyst on her ovary.

Yeah, she told her mother that. Not sure if its true.

The book was The Last Picture Show.

Ah, excellent. Thanks!

slqrick
05-16-2013, 12:03 AM
The latter just repeats a behavior and a kind of dynamic that we've seen before.

This is seems to be what the whole season up to this point has been alluding to in terms of Don's character. It's definitely felt clunky and awkward, but I think it'll payoff well at some point. I definitely haven't enjoyed things being spelled out more the past couple of seasons, but when they do callbacks to previous episodes, Wiener's done a pretty good job for the most part.

Don is going to have his world shattered at some point this season, the way things are going.

Ezee E
05-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Kind of just stopped paying attention to this, missing two weeks in a row.

ledfloyd
05-20-2013, 03:07 AM
*Passes out*

Mara
05-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Not finished yet, but must point out that Peggy's world-weary "Thank you, that was very inspiring" after Don's inspirational speech was perfect delivery by Moss.

Irish
05-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Not finished yet, but must point out that Peggy's world-weary "Thank you, that was very inspiring" after Don's inspirational speech was perfect delivery by Moss.

I'm really hoping you're going to link to another article that will explain this episode. :D

It was great stuff. I particularly liked the time jumps/ lost time stuff. But my reaction on the whole was "WTF?" and wondering what was real and what was, maybe, imagined.

slqrick
05-20-2013, 06:13 PM
I thought that was an incredible episode. Having Don have the worst trip of his life right as things are falling apart around him was a terrific idea. There was something legitimately disturbing about the Grandma Ida scene, and I honestly wasn't sure where they were going to take it.

Also, this season is providing some of the best TV gifs ever.

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2013/05/20/itsmyjob.o.jpg/a_560x375.jpg

Mara
05-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm really hoping you're going to link to another article that will explain this episode. :D

Both tomandlorenzo and The AV Club did good write-ups.

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/05/mad-men-the-crash.html

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-crash,97442/

By the way, since tomandlorenzo is primarily a fashion blog that dabbles in television criticism, they also have posts every Wednesday where they do nothing but analyze the clothes on Mad Men. It's CRAZY and it totally changes the way you watch the show. "Oop, Peggy's in her power color." "Joan's in purple, she must be heart broken." "Blue and green together-- someone's committing adultery!"

Here's the one from last week, for example:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/05/mad-style-man-with-a-plan.html

Benny Profane
05-21-2013, 01:29 PM
You've got a great ass.

Thank you.

DavidSeven
05-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm not imagining that Betty had suddenly slimmed back down to first marriage weight, right?

[ETM]
05-21-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm still on S5, but I just wanted to say that Peyton List is just so, so beautiful, and a decent actress. She really should be getting more work.

Mara
05-21-2013, 09:14 PM
;479531']I'm still on S5, but I just wanted to say that Peyton List is just so, so beautiful, and a decent actress. She really should be getting more work..

I thought I saw her for a trailer for a new show this fall.

Yes, I did. "The Tomorrow People."

Lucky
05-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Watch it, Peggy. Hah.

I liked that Don and Megan had sirens in the background during both of their scenes this episode. Also liked the pillow talk scene between two characters I won't name.

slqrick
05-27-2013, 04:15 PM
There have been a lot of shocking moments so far this season, and Peggy holding a homemade spear might be near the top of the list.

Mara
05-27-2013, 04:31 PM
This episode had a pretty epic break-up, start to finish.

Mara
05-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Also, I found Bob's beach shorts hysterical.

Bob is a total mystery. His "nice guy" tallies and "weasel" tallies are about even.

He is, however, attractive.

Lucky
05-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Also, I found Bob's beach shorts hysterical.

Bob is a total mystery. His "nice guy" tallies and "weasel" tallies are about even.

He is, however, attractive.

He's going to be a regular on SMG/Robin Williams' new CBS comedy that got picked up to series. I'm wondering if they're going to write him out of Mad Men soon. He's one of the best parts of the trailer. He's got a John Krasinski style humor to him, but he's more suave.

Mara
05-27-2013, 05:21 PM
No lie: I thought that trailer was unbelievably bad. I was flinching away the entire time.

Lucky
05-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Well, it is CBS afterall. I'm just glad there's not a laugh track so I can at least stomach it.

DavidSeven
05-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Wow. Great ep.

"I, uh... Abe got stabbed."

slqrick
05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Watching that episode again, I feel like Megan is gonna get shot. Or something along those lines. The constant sirens in every scene between her and Don, and her overall unimportance in both Don's life and the narrative as a whole just seems to be pointing to something like that happening.

Mara
05-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Watching that episode again, I feel like Megan is gonna get shot. Or something along those lines. The constant sirens in every scene between her and Don, and her overall unimportance in both Don's life and the narrative as a whole just seems to be pointing to something like that happening.

I've read two articles/reviews that compare her to Sharon Tate. (I guess that star shirt she's wearing was famously worn by Tate.)

NSFW picture: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ggaddZ801qigaa4o1_500 .jpg

Mara
05-29-2013, 08:46 PM
One of those articles pointed out that Megan's clothes are the same as what Abe was wearing when he was stabbed: white shirt and white underwear, with the bright red star where Abe was stabbed.

I'd say there is some serious violent imagery going on with Megan.

slqrick
06-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Got a little lost in the shuffle this week with GOT, but I thought it was a solid episode, and I always love their California asides. The Peggy-Joan scenes paid off stuff from the very first scenes of the series, and they were incredibly rewarding for long time fans. Should be an interesting to see what they do here with the rest of the season.

Lucky
06-04-2013, 05:16 PM
I agree that the Joan/Peggy story successfully harvested notes that spent years growing. It was my favorite aspect of the episode. The drug experiences are waning on me. Especially since we just did this two weeks ago.

On a side note, did anyone else find the speaker box in Joan's office a touch deus ex machiney? I mean, I know she's a partner now but I find its existence in the first place a bit questionable.

slqrick
06-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I agree that the Joan/Peggy story successfully harvested notes that spent years growing. It was my favorite aspect of the episode. The drug experiences are waning on me. Especially since we just did this two weeks ago.

On a side note, did anyone else find the speaker box in Joan's office a touch deus ex machiney? I mean, I know she's a partner now but I find its existence in the first place a bit questionable.

They've always had that speak box in that room I thought. It just happens to be where she works now.

Mara
06-04-2013, 05:18 PM

We've seen them use it before, at least. They use it for focus groups.

Lucky
06-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Right, right. I remember this now. Especially when you said focus groups.

Mara
06-05-2013, 03:40 PM
We have had very little Sally this year.

Also, I think Ginsberg may be genuinely schizophrenic. I love him as a character.

ledfloyd
06-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Also, I think Ginsberg may be genuinely schizophrenic. I love him as a character.
It would explain a lot.

DavidSeven
06-10-2013, 06:25 AM
We have had very little Sally this year.

What a way to bring her back.

Lucky
06-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Oy. This season is not gonna end well for somebody.

And who the hell is Bon Benson (http://www.buzzsugar.com/Bob-Benson-Mad-Men-30649888)?

ledfloyd
06-11-2013, 01:31 AM
MZS posed an interesting theory in his review of last night's episode. The idea that Bob Benson exists as the opposite of Don. Don is a sociopath that hurts those around him while Bob is a "good" sociopath.

slqrick
06-11-2013, 02:11 PM
The scene between Peggy, Pete, and Ted was amazing. They're really killing it with moments between characters that have mountains of history.

Mara
06-11-2013, 02:16 PM
The scene between Peggy, Pete, and Ted was amazing. They're really killing it with moments between characters that have mountains of history.

Ted's "I missed something" face is perfect. Because they're not going to explain, and they probably couldn't if they wanted to.

Also, it's sad to me that Pete's "You know me" moment was so similar to the moment Peggy & Don had back in "The Suitcase," but that relationship is in tatters. Peggy's closer to Pete right now. PETE.

Mara
06-12-2013, 05:53 PM
I feel like I link to these "Mad Style" posts all the time, but this one is REALLY GOOD. It gets into Bob Benson and the gay scene in NYC at that time.

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06/mad-style-favors.html

slqrick
06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
These are really incredible, Mara. I wish I'd read them before and I'm glad you post them. I even noticed Peggy wearing her power color (yellow) during that meeting with the Avon dude last week.

Lucky
06-13-2013, 12:50 AM
That article makes me feel very unobservant. Count me as one of the people who thought it was a scam to further Bob's secret agenda, but they sure tarnish that theory.

slqrick
06-18-2013, 01:39 AM
I feel like this show is really getting overlooked this year. Another tremendous episodes, with some amazingly unpredictable scenes. I was on the edge of my seat during the ad meeting to see what Don would do, and loved the way Pete handled things with Bob. Somehow Glen visiting Sally at boarding school did not end in a serial killing, but rather, he seems ok. Loved the Betty/Sally scene in the car later on. Just some really great stuff. As depressing as this season is, watching this show makes me really happy.

ThePlashyBubbler
06-18-2013, 01:51 AM
Bob Benson has become my favorite character on the show. Would watch a spin-off with just him and Pete.

DavidSeven
06-18-2013, 03:24 AM
Conference room scene with Don, Ted, Peggy, etc. was so good. Best part was sort of just following the looks on people's faces as it unfolded. That was such an ultimate Don Draper moment.

I thought this episode was kind of perfect. Was really into every story and loved the little details. For example, I thought Don's "so did you" in response to Betty saying Jackie O. did well twice was a really affecting moment. It's hard to place your finger on why, but I feel like this is the only show that can pull little things like that off.

Derek
06-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Bob Benson has become my favorite character on the show. Would watch a spin-off with just him and Pete.

They're so great together. I burst out laughing at this shot:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j94/DSmith724/vlcsnap-2013-06-16-23h05m28s16_zps7a6dae22.png

Conference room scene with Don, Ted, Peggy, etc. was so good. Best part was sort of just following the looks on people's faces as it unfolded. That was such an ultimate Don Draper moment.

I thought this episode was kind of perfect. Was really into every story and loved the little details. For example, I thought Don's "so did you" in response to Betty saying Jackie O. did well twice was a really affecting moment. It's hard to place your finger on why, but I feel like this is the only show that can pull little things like that off.

It was great to see a single episode remind us of the complexities of Don Draper just when he was becoming one of the least interesting characters on the show. Really an amazing episode, the season's highlight for sure. Can't wait to see what they do in the finale.

amberlita
06-18-2013, 06:03 AM
I'm ready to champion Pete as the most brilliant man at SC&P after this episode. While Don is busy making a selfish but ultimately self-destructive maneuver against Peggy and Ted, Pete is the one positioning himself on higher ground by "surrendering" to Bob, as he put it. I'm utterly blown away at the difference between the Pete that practically threw a temper tantrum while tattling to Bert Cooper about Don's dual identity in Season 1 or 2 (can't remember), to the Pete of last night. Six seasons ago, Pete thought that information gave him power over Don. Here, he already IS in a position of power over Bob. But he's so discerning now that he saw the real power play was to essentially acquiesce. I'd like to go back and watch this entire season again just to soak in Pete's character a bit more. It's hard to see the fact that Pete is almost always on the right side of the argument because he's always trumpeting his correctness via an insufferable exterior.

This line is going in my arsenal. I'll find a way to use it somehow: "You're going to get the benefit of the fact that I've been here before."

Screw the conference room scene (Don's being a cunning bastard and taking a shit on someone in spectacularly dickish fashion? Is this Season 1 or Season 6 becauseI can't tell). Pete's confrontation with Bob was the highlight of the season for me thus far. Brilliant stuff.

Mara
06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
I am starting to think that the only real differences between Pete and Don are that Pete is not charming, and not lucky.

ledfloyd
06-19-2013, 03:55 AM
I am starting to think that the only real differences between Pete and Don are that Pete is not charming, and not lucky.
I could get behind this theory. The first season pitted them against one another as opposites, but it's been less and less true as the show goes on.

Mara
06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
I could get behind this theory. The first season pitted them against one another as opposites, but it's been less and less true as the show goes on.

Yeah, Pete is the blue-blooded gentleman fallen on hard times coasting through life on smarm and ambition, socially inappropriate and childish.

Meanwhile, Don is the backwater hick who has made his own fortune, talented and envied, gentlemanly and interesting.

But the more we've known them, the more that all kind of falls apart. They're two sides of the same weasel.

slqrick
06-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I must be the only one who has found Don's story to be compelling this season, especially in the way Weiner is almost sticking it to the portion of the audience that was giddy that we'd get "old Don" back after that chick walked up to him at the bar at the end of last season. The scene in the boardroom was tremendous because of how venomous a move that was, essentially destroying his only adult female relationship (Pegster) that wasn't based on sex. I think Peggy hasn't gotten as much to do this season, but seeing her utter disgust was a brutal moment. I can't believe that I'm on Betty's side now.

Lucky
06-24-2013, 05:09 AM
This Mad Men or A Christmas Carol? Heh, I jest. Out of all Don's actions this episode, I don't understand the motivation behind his decision with Ted. Speaking of Ted, how sharp was Peggy's last zinger? Surprised we didn't see Sylvia in the finale. Wonder if that storyline will continue next year. Perhaps when Sally feels like spilling, which suggests Megan might decide to stick around. This is the first year of the series in my eyes that didnt rise above the year before. Still some top notch episodes and moments, but the grand arc was not as pronounced as in previous years. The influx of new blood sapped precious time from our key favorites. Can't believe we only have one more of these to look forward to.

amberlita
06-24-2013, 06:04 AM
I thought Don's decision to send Ted to Cali instead was the clearest motivation of all. Peggy has been barking at Don every other episode about what a "good man" Ted is and Don keeps trying to convince her otherwise. When the two of them were lying in bed, I thought Don had been proven right: Ted's just as self-serving and manipulative as Don.

I think everything just smacked Don right in the face during that pitch. Betty's line to Don about Sally being fucked up because she is from a broken home, Don's phony story of the ideal father-son relationship, and the look of anguish on Ted's face as he was no doubt lamenting the loss of what he saw as his only chance to save his family. Don not only saw what Peggy had been seeing, saw a man better than himself, but also saw his own failed childhood and an opportunity to give Ted's kids the chance he never had. The chance at a "normal childhood" with a father who actually wants to be there. Probably realizes if he could have made the choice Ted was trying to make, maybe he wouldn't be destroying his relationship with his daughter.

Interesting that Peggy and Don essentially wound up with the opposite views on Ted than that which they had maybe 6 episodes ago.

Anyway, good season. Nice finale.

Lucky
06-24-2013, 12:59 PM
I guess I'm just surprised that he made that decision at the expense of Megan.

slqrick
06-24-2013, 01:20 PM
I guess I'm just surprised that he made that decision at the expense of Megan.

Megan has been dead weight for a while, both on the show and in Don's life. I wouldn't be too sad if we never saw her again. I'm wondering if Weiner would try and go for a Don-Betty reconciliation down the road, but for now I really like where the story has put him. I loved the look Sally gave him when she saw the piece of shit he grew up in...maybe there is redemption for the Draper name just yet.

Pete's sendoff with Trudy was pretty sad. I was originally going to say we probably wouldn't see much of Ted, but with Pete there too now (and possibly Harry?) it should be interesting. Harry will definitely be made partner at some point in the near future, maybe even by the time we check in again depending on the time jump for season seven.

Overall, I thought this was just a tremendous season. They were really able to pull off the "history repeats itself" stuff, but were able to mine long developed relationships in some of the most gratifying scenes in the series. They had to cover a lot of the harsh political stuff too, and even though some of it was clunky and just exposition, I'm glad they didn't turn it into a CBS movie of the week. I think next season will be a lot more fun, both in tone and with the characters.

slqrick
06-24-2013, 02:13 PM
http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2013/06/23/mad-men-gifs/nogreat.o.jpg/a_560x0.jpg

Mara
06-25-2013, 09:35 PM
I would watch a Mad Men spin-off that is about Sally going to college in the 70's.

Derek
06-26-2013, 01:45 AM
For future reference/lulz, I'd like to post a pic of Bob Benson carving a turkey.

http://junkee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/mm_bob-turkey.jpg

You're welcome.

EvilShoe
06-26-2013, 03:16 AM
The last thing I expected on Mad Men was hope for Don Draper, so this was an interesting season finale.

Can we have Benson go through a similar arc in a 7 season long 80s set series? *fingers crossed*

slqrick
06-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Watching it again, and it really does feel like the most "feel good" episode of Mad Men since probably the season three finale. Probably because the last couple of seasons have been a bit claustrophobic and dour, and they've been incorporating more of the late 60's stuff. It somehow made sense that Don helping out Ted, even though Ted was the total douche about it all, was the turning point for Don's karma. I also loved all the subtle moments Joan moments.

DavidSeven
06-26-2013, 06:36 AM
I could watch this show forever. Sucks that an end is in sight. I'd watch a series based on Harry and Ted's adventures in California or Stan and Ginsberg striking out on their own at this point.

Benny Profane
06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I would watch a Mad Men spin-off that is about Sally going to college in the 70's.

I see a lot of drugs and anonymous sex in her future.

I'm surprised they took the subplot with Pete's mother as far as they did. I didn't really latch on to that, though it provided some excellent scenes with Bob Benson.

This last season reminds me of Updike's Rabbit books in how it tells the story of America's transformation in the 60s through the narrative of one guy. Also wild how those books take place in a smallish town in eastern PA.

Qrazy
07-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Just wanted to stop by briefly to say that I'm about halfway through Season 3 and I still loathe this show. No matter how many friends want me to go on with it I just can't anymore.

Derek
07-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Just wanted to stop by briefly to say that I'm about halfway through Season 3 and I still loathe this show. No matter how many friends want me to go on with it I just can't anymore.

Might I suggest 80s Don Draper (https://twitter.com/80sDonDraper) for all your future MadMen needs?

Lucky
07-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Who urges you to continue after you dislike the first two seasons? Sure, the show grows and reaches new heights each year (with the exception of the most recent), but you're not going to suddenly do a 180.

Irish
07-15-2013, 01:33 AM

Gonna remember this post come August 11th, Q.

;)

Qrazy
07-15-2013, 01:48 AM
Who urges you to continue after you dislike the first two seasons? Sure, the show grows and reaches new heights each year (with the exception of the most recent), but you're not going to suddenly do a 180.

I watched the first season 3 or 4 years ago and since then I've had about 5-7 people encouraging me to continue. 'It gets better and all of your criticisms are less of an issue in later seasons', they said. Well I find the problems are all still there. It's had a moment or two but overall, gah. Remember the scene where Duck is about to take a drink but then looks at his dog but then back at his drink and then abandons his dog by unclipping it's collar just outside the building? That scene encapsulates the unbearable quality this show possesses for me.

Qrazy
07-15-2013, 01:48 AM
Gonna remember this post come August 11th, Q.

;)

Don't understand.

Derek
07-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Don't understand.

Breaking Bad is coming back.

Qrazy
07-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Breaking Bad is coming back.

Ah. Good.

Hugh_Grant
07-21-2013, 10:55 PM
I watched the first season 3 or 4 years ago and since then I've had about 5-7 people encouraging me to continue. 'It gets better and all of your criticisms are less of an issue in later seasons', they said. Well I find the problems are all still there. It's had a moment or two but overall, gah. Remember the scene where Duck is about to take a drink but then looks at his dog but then back at his drink and then abandons his dog by unclipping it's collar just outside the building? That scene encapsulates the unbearable quality this show possesses for me.

Yeah, I'm with you. :)

Kurosawa Fan
07-23-2013, 01:02 PM

With you 100%.

Qrazy
07-30-2013, 06:00 AM
Okay so you guys know me by now and my utter inability to stop myself from completing things. So yeah, this finally became tolerable in Season 4. It only took 28 ish hours to get there. There's still a lot that annoys me about it (the soap opera-esque everyone sleeping with everyone angle especially) but a lot of characters have fallen into a groove and their stories have become much more interesting. Minimizing Betty was a good idea. Roger is great fun to watch also. On the flip side there's a few characters who were cut who should have been given a proper arc (Sal) whereas certain new characters really don't need to exist (Bob).

The show also seems to have embraced it's more ridiculous qualities fully, in a Sopranos-esque fashion. It pushes itself to extremes which both does and does not work. For example there has been a drastic increase in bizarre violent episodes and drug taking plot lines which simultaneously feel out of place and also make the show more immediately engaging to watch. It's also traded in it's whole 'this was the crazy 60's angle!' (in regards to no seatbelt use, kids with plastic bags on their heads, child brutality, etc) to a 'this was the crazy 60's angle!' (in regards to fixating on all the celebs who were shot, vietnam, etc). It's ultimately a good shift but it's still trading one belaboured sentiment for another. At least with this sentiment it feels a bit more valid.

On a different note, characters always speaking via double meanings (elevator going down, are you ready to order, etc) gets really old. You're so very clever Weiner, we get it.

Qrazy
07-30-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm ready to champion Pete as the most brilliant man at SC&P after this episode. While Don is busy making a selfish but ultimately self-destructive maneuver against Peggy and Ted, Pete is the one positioning himself on higher ground by "surrendering" to Bob, as he put it. I'm utterly blown away at the difference between the Pete that practically threw a temper tantrum while tattling to Bert Cooper about Don's dual identity in Season 1 or 2 (can't remember), to the Pete of last night. Six seasons ago, Pete thought that information gave him power over Don. Here, he already IS in a position of power over Bob. But he's so discerning now that he saw the real power play was to essentially acquiesce. I'd like to go back and watch this entire season again just to soak in Pete's character a bit more. It's hard to see the fact that Pete is almost always on the right side of the argument because he's always trumpeting his correctness via an insufferable exterior.

This line is going in my arsenal. I'll find a way to use it somehow: "You're going to get the benefit of the fact that I've been here before."

Screw the conference room scene (Don's being a cunning bastard and taking a shit on someone in spectacularly dickish fashion? Is this Season 1 or Season 6 becauseI can't tell). Pete's confrontation with Bob was the highlight of the season for me thus far. Brilliant stuff.

Except that back fired in his face shortly thereafter. In the first circumstance with Don Bert ignored the issue because Don is/was the backbone of creative. No one really needs or cares that much about Bob. So really either Pete is a complete moron or the writing is stupid and it's totally absurd that Pete wouldn't get Bob fired at that point.

slqrick
08-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Except that back fired in his face shortly thereafter. In the first circumstance with Don Bert ignored the issue because Don is/was the backbone of creative. No one really needs or cares that much about Bob. So really either Pete is a complete moron or the writing is stupid and it's totally absurd that Pete wouldn't get Bob fired at that point.

The partners already made sure Bob would stay on the Chevy account because those dudes love him, and it was clear that if Pete couldn't work with him, they'd find someone who could. Considering it's their big fish, and Bob is integral to the account, I'd say Pete already knows where this is heading. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Bob in a much higher position of authority going into the next season.