PDA

View Full Version : Hannibal (Season One)

Winston*
04-05-2013, 08:20 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIUQ_fuKj9G aVKBhkFtHoDCnQf404d7NPWzzPuiVT nK07oUs5X

I thought the pilot was odd. A strange mix of the more artful show that I would think Brian Fuller wants to make, and the hoary requirements of its network procedural format. So you stuff like have a long sequence where Will Graham rescues and cleans up a stray dog, coupled with an unsatisfying rush through its killer of the week plot with ridiculous leaps in psychological profiling.

Much prefered the pilot of his Munsters show, but I am intrigued enough to keep at this for an episode or two.

Winston*
04-05-2013, 08:23 PM
The FBI station in this for some reason has the same red bathroom as The Overlook Hotel.

Neclord
04-12-2013, 07:32 AM
A strange mix of the more artful show that I would think Brian Fuller wants to make, and the hoary requirements of its network procedural format.

Reprised in the second episode, which has Graham's unsettling dreams of a moose walking through a hospital, well staged and interesting exchanges between Graham and Lector, and a serial killer who's discovered and then apprehended by the end of the episode. But still, I am interested in looking and being inside of Graham's head and am definitely in to see where this goes.

chrisnu
05-08-2013, 11:22 PM
How similar is this show to Dexter? The teaser I watched made it seem like the shows are nearly identical, with Hannibal Lecter in Dexter's role.

Winston*
05-08-2013, 11:23 PM
How similar is this show to Dexter?

Not particularly. It's also shaping up to be a significantly more interesting show.

Acapelli
05-09-2013, 06:39 AM
yeah definitely don't see any dexter in hannibal. i'll echo winston's sentiments

Henry Gale
06-04-2013, 12:41 AM
By the way, this was renewed. So I'll now go from tepidly, slowly going through the first few episodes and enjoying them in fear of cancellation to hopefully catching up soon.

EvilShoe
06-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Only saw the pilot so far, but I quite liked it. It's nice to see a show that doesn't completely sensationalize violence, and instead focuses more on the impact it has on those to witness the aftermath. Hope it can keep this up.

It's like opposite The Following. Seriously, fuck The Following.

Kurosawa Fan
06-04-2013, 01:18 PM
It's like opposite The Following. Seriously, fuck The Following.

Getting pumped for season two, huh?

EvilShoe
06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Getting pumped for season two, huh?Stop gloating because I didn't watch Revenge instead. I took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Kurosawa Fan
06-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Stop gloating because I didn't watch Revenge instead. I took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

It's not too late, Shoe.

Winston*
06-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Only saw the pilot so far, but I quite liked it. It's nice to see a show that doesn't completely sensationalize violence, and instead focuses more on the impact it has on those to witness the aftermath. Hope it can keep this up.

It gets better.

I'm catching up. Watched episode 7 last night. All that 'food' preparation :eek:

Mara
06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
There are only 13 eps? Hmm, maybe I can catch up before the Cutties.

Winston*
06-04-2013, 10:22 PM
There are only 13 eps? Hmm, maybe I can catch up before the Cutties.

Fuller has it in his contract that every season will be that long, which is great.

Winston*
06-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Gillian Anderson has a recurring role in the show if that interests anyone. Also, Kids in the Hall's Scott Thompson is in it.

Mara
06-05-2013, 01:39 AM
Gretchen Speck-Horowitz, same actress and character from episode 2 of Wonderfalls, just picked up the wrong insulin at the pharmacy. She even quotes her line from that episode, "I lost the hyphen, kept the ring." Which means that Wonderfalls and Hannibal take place in the same universe, which means that it's entirely possible Graham will start having conversations with wax lions.

Also, I'm going to be sad if Gretchen Speck-Horowitz is killed and made into mushrooms when Jaye went to all the trouble of fixing her life by breaking up her marriage.

Mara
06-05-2013, 01:46 AM
She survived! Poor Gretchen has had it rough since peaking in high school.

By the way, I'm annoyed at this show for having lots of scenes in Baltimore without ever filming in Baltimore. It's filming in Toronto, CITY OF LIES.

Winston*
06-05-2013, 01:48 AM
The mushroom villain was so silly. Worked for some great grotesque images though.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fmrBZd43ehU/UWmBOSBvAwI/AAAAAAAAAHg/SsnRyJddqyc/s1600/vlcsnap-2013-04-13-11h18m35s165.jpg

I love the art design on this show. Hannibal's office is the best.

Mara
06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
By the way, I'm annoyed at this show for having lots of scenes in Baltimore without ever filming in Baltimore. It's filming in Toronto, CITY OF LIES.

The establishing shots are of Baltimore, though. Mostly of the Inner Harbor, where people don't live. And since Dr. Lecter has a free-standing house with wide inner rooms, I'm going to pretend he lives in one of those outlying neighborhoods on the top part of the city, like Roland Park.

Mara
06-07-2013, 10:30 PM
This show takes place in, like, an alternative reality where hundreds of people go missing every day, and most of them are found in the most absurd possible ways. And everyone's pretty jaded about it.

"Hey, where's Aunt Cathy?"

"You know, I haven't seen her in a few weeks. She's probably been flayed, dipped in resin and posed into dining room furniture somewhere. I guess we'll see."

It's a good show, but the gore is sort of silly and over-the-top.

Winston*
06-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Well, the show isn't going for realism. The self-conscious Grand Guignol quality is one of the aspects that makes the show compelling to me and separates it from other procedurals.

Mara
06-08-2013, 12:00 AM
My favorite parts so far are the inter-character relationships, especially with a focus on friendship. It's rare for a television show to acknowledge that the desire for friendship and the expressions of friendship can be just as intense, twisted, and weird as the romantic and sexual relationships.

Mara
06-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Gillian Anderson is so ridiculously beautiful that it is honestly distracting.

Mara
06-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Ooh hoo! Just caught the finale. Awesome stuff-- way to mess with the status quo. This has been a really intriguing first season.

Between Mikkleson's accent and Dancy's assumed accent / mumbling, I have to crank the volume really loud. I wish NBC streaming had captions.

Neclord
06-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah, great finale. Somehow, in an episode featuring a terrifying charcoal black elk man, what disturbed me more was the dinner scene between Lector and Dr Du Maurier, where they're eating "veal" and Lector's talking about calfs and it's probably Abigail and Dr Du Maurier might know that and ugh ugh just turned my stomach inside out.

slqrick
06-24-2013, 08:58 PM
I would have checked it out much sooner if I hadn't been so turned off by The Following. This is really great, and I much prefer this Hannibal to the hammy Hopkins stuff, even though he scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Qrazy
06-28-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm 4 episodes in and finding this to be total garbage. People have been praising the writing on this. Really?

Qrazy
07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm 4 episodes in and finding this to be total garbage. People have been praising the writing on this. Really?

Yeah this just gets worse and worse. Horrible show.

Winston*
07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Stop watching it then.

Qrazy
07-02-2013, 03:50 AM
Stop watching it then.

No, I'm a completionist, don't tell me what to do. Better still don't recommend this kind of garbage in the first place so I don't have to go down this hellish road.

Winston*
07-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Okay. Will try to stop recommending things I enjoy. Not sure why I continue to post on this site these days.

Qrazy
07-02-2013, 04:44 AM
Okay. Will try to stop recommending things I enjoy. Not sure why I continue to post on this site these days.

It's clear that beneath the thin veneer of your comic persona beats the heart of a sensitive soul. :)

Mara
07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/snickers.jpg

Henry Gale
01-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Finally watched through the season within a few days, and I'm simultaneously upset I waited this long to do so, and completely relieved I did because it means I only have to wait a few weeks for Season 2 to start up.

Visually, thematically, atmospherically, textually, and just generally performed and executed at a level more accomplished than most shows out there. Not to mention a significant amount of it is clearly filmed extremely close to where I live, adding another uncomfortable layer to its often unresolved foreboding mood.

Best show on network TV? (And not just because it feels insane that NBC even gets away with airing a lot of its content.)

Mara
02-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Wow-- did not realize until I decided on a rewatch that I never saw episode 4, "Œuf." That was the one that was pulled after the Boston bombing, and they only showed a few short clips to clarify the metastory. I'm watching it on Amazon Prime now.

Henry Gale
02-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I only remembered that one was never aired because people had referred to it as "the Molly Shannon one" more often than not. But considering how late she and the other "controversial" elements of the episode come to light, I was surprised how much other fairly essential character stuff, particularly with Abigail Hobbs' relationship with Hannibal, that could've definitely been lost if no one check out NBC's reduced webisode version of the episode.

One of the things the show does best is making its Case of the Week stuff (which can be the most boring and fleeting elements of any series) actually reverberate through the rest of the series and have certain victims and killers recur.

Mara
02-16-2014, 11:25 PM
The Hannibal & Abigail stuff was far more effective shown in relief to the case of the week in that episode. It had a completely different level to it. I strongly recommend people seek it out.

Morris Schæffer
05-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Gonna watch episode 9 of this soon. Not bad so far, not bad at all, but utterly preposterous in how there's a hugely elaborate murder scene every single episode. Perhaps it's part of a masterplan yet to be revealed, but this bothers me a bit at the moment. And I also still haven't quite tuned in to Graham's nearly psychic abilities complete with the silly yellow laser-like line sweeping across the screen accompanied by a swoosh swoosh sound.

The scenes I find nearly the strongest are whenever we see Hannibal cooking and serving food to his guests and explaining what he's whipped up. I honestly can't get enough of those scenes.

amberlita
08-20-2015, 05:46 AM
I just finished Season 1 and my verdict is that this show is totally fucked up. I don't know how it lasted this long on broadcast TV. I also don't know how Mara has been able to stomach it.

Peng
08-21-2015, 02:23 AM
If you thought Season 1 was already fucked up... wait for Season 2, which is glorious and still my favorite season.

Mara
08-21-2015, 02:46 AM
I just finished Season 1 and my verdict is that this show is totally fucked up. I don't know how it lasted this long on broadcast TV. I also don't know how Mara has been able to stomach it.

A combination of three factors:

1. It's heavily stylized.
2. It's sooooooo good.
3. Sometimes I hide behind my fingers.

Also, season 2 is great, but season 3 is next-level amazing.

Yxklyx
07-28-2020, 01:24 AM
Finished this season the other day and am loving it! Started season two tonight. I agree that there's a bit too much serial killing going on for this to be a realistic story in any way shape or form. I'm also a bit disoriented, except for the first killing is everything else going on in Virginia/Maryland? Where exactly are scores (have we hit 100 yet?) of people being killed? They need to add location text to the opening scenes - or maybe the lack of that accentuates the unreality of it all. Also I'm pretty sure that there is no place that looks anything like the Grafton West Virginia beach scene in West Virginia - that was filmed next to an ocean or Great Lake. That just added to all the disorientation. I also love the style!