PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Sxottlan
03-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Directed by Jon Chu

IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1583421/?ref_=hm_inth_t1).

http://www.coronacomingattractions.co m/sites/default/files/gi_joe_2_character_poster_road block.jpg

Sxottlan
03-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Mild yay. Surprising amount of one-liners that work. Jonathan Pryce really has fun as Zartan.

"They talk about politics as a thankless job, but yesterday I got to hang out with Bono!"

TGM
03-31-2013, 12:24 AM
All I wanted from G.I. Joe: Retaliation was some dumb fun. Sadly, this one only got so far as the dumb part. I'll agree that Jonathan Pryce was great, though. Pretty much the only one not completely going through the motions in this thing.

My full review. (http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2013/03/gi-joe-retaliation.html)

Watashi
03-31-2013, 06:53 AM
As someone who didn't hate the first one (yet didn't like it), I had quite some fun with this one. It's a massive improvement over the first film. I would easily take this film over a majority of the summer movies I saw last year.

I also love how all of London is destroyed and it's not brought up at all for the rest of the movie, cause this movie is about America dammit!

Fezzik
03-31-2013, 05:36 PM
I thought this was preposterous fun. And considering that's what I went to the theater for, I was not disappointed. Sxottlan is right about Pryce. He seemed absolutely giddy in his role.

And based on the first 20-25 minutes, I'd be all for a Rock/Tatum buddy movie somewhere down the line.

EyesWideOpen
04-02-2013, 01:05 AM
This was 10 times better then the first movie in every single category.

Sxottlan
04-02-2013, 09:44 AM
This was 10 times better then the first movie in every single category.

Oh, I dunno. The Joe base in the first film was pretty cool. The fact that one level had a training pool with hundreds of thousands of gallons of water in it and that level was above another cavernous level?

Poorly planned. And awesome!

Lazlo
04-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Walton Goggins for MVP.

Neclord
04-16-2013, 04:13 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this dumb movie. It was great fun of at a drive-in, where you can make fun without bugging your neighboring moviegoers(provided your windows are rolled up). The nuclear conference was joyously insane.

eternity
04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Jonathan Pryce and some entertaining one-liners can't change that this movie borders on being unwatchable. Ugh.

Skitch
05-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Every bit as sloppy as the first film, and like the first film, a blast to boot. What a lot of fun. I chose to see it 3D because I wanted to see what another year did for it. It was acceptable most of the time, with scenes of impressive-ness. I've never had a ninja thrown at my face before. :D

Dukefrukem
08-12-2013, 02:00 AM
Very generic. Very forgettable. Nothing like the first movie. Sommers is badly missed.

EyesWideOpen
08-13-2013, 04:22 AM
Sommers is badly missed.

Said no one ever.

Thirdmango
08-27-2013, 07:29 AM
I loved one action scene in the first movie. I loved one action scene, one moment, and Walton Goggins. This makes this movie better then the first. The zipline stuff was much cooler then the trailer led me to believe, an improvement over the cool train stuff in the first one.

London had me open mouthed, that was super cool.

Other then that... meh. But those moments, great.

Scar
08-27-2013, 05:29 PM
It was alright. Easily better than the first.

Stay Puft
04-15-2014, 06:18 PM
I don't know why I watched this but... okay! I had fun.

It starts out pretty bad. Awful dialogue, exposition, acting. Bad editing, too. Pretty sloppy in its scene construction. And then Tatum dies. I was going to turn off the movie at that point, but I was too lazy to get up so I just sat there. And then I didn't mind it so much!

Chu really gets the tone of the thing. The mountain scene with Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes and Jinx is the first indication of this (a nice mix of outlandish badassery and cartoon antics) and the film is much more assured from there on out. (I wonder if reshoots kinda ruined the first part?) The nuclear conference is hilarious. I wish Cobra Commander had a different voice, though. A little too self-serious in its villainy (same problem with the Transformers films and the Decepticon voices).