PDA

View Full Version : Admission (Paul Weitz)

EyesWideOpen
03-27-2013, 03:25 AM
imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1814621/?ref_=hm_cht_t5)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/gothamcentral79/admission_zps40d3f419.jpg

Thirdmango
07-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Watched this with my mom today. She said often when doing judging panels the same things will often happen where either her or someone else is totally for one person and everyone else is like, "Are you insane?" I liked a lot of things about this movie, but it still is just an average type movie. Nothing too special.

dreamdead
08-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Quite average. I'm still hoping that Tina Fey can find the right feature film vehicle for her humor, but this character isn't quite right. The students who mock Fey's Princeton sales pitch are just too contrived, even if the sentiment is good. And the actual dichotomy between Fey and Paul Rudd is a little too overt to allow for true pathos--they're so polar opposite that it's hard to buy them together, even though the actors try to find the right rapport. And Lily Tomlin's character is an abomination of contrivances and ideologies--I'd like to see the feminist portrayal not shamelessly mocked by a film.

Some good sentiment, but not enough to make it anything exciting.

eternity
08-19-2013, 06:19 AM
It's just as critical of the admissions process as it needs to be, and for that, I was really digging it for most of the runtime. However, the crux of the entire plot is absolutely batshit. When the "twist" occurs, I lost the ability to take any of it seriously.

So...I don't know.

Fezzik
08-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Thoroughly average with a few moments of "oh God no" sprinkled throughout. I tell ya, the comedies this year, for the most part, have been incredibly disappointing.

Henry Gale
08-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I tell ya, the comedies this year, for the most part, have been incredibly disappointing.

I dunno, I'd say The World's End and This is the End are two comedies better than what almost any other recent year has offered as a one-two punch. (The possible exception being when Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder came out the same week in 2008.)

But I also didn't bother seeing this, Burt Wonderstone, We're The Millers, The Internship, Identity Thief, Hangover Part III, or The Heat (very likely the strongest of this bunch), so maybe the Wright/Pegg and Rogen/Goldberg apocalypses were the only worthwhile ones after all.