PDA

View Full Version : Broadchurch (Season 1)

number8
03-15-2013, 02:57 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dXqzSa8bifs/UTXt78gbx8I/AAAAAAAADWs/VIV8h2dxhPM/s1600/E2-01.jpg

Gotta admit, the synopsis for this didn't sound appealing at all, but it stars David Tennant, Olivia Colman and Arthur Darvill, and it's created by Torchwood's Chris Chibnall, so I found it incredibly hard to resist giving it a try.

Watched the first two episodes. The tone and format are nearly identical to The Killing, so that's going to be a really hard comparison to shake off. Tennant's character, though, is more like Luther 2.0. Then there's the big-city-cop-comes-to-small-town-where-everyone-knows-each-other-and-inexplicably-there's-a-murder-that-shocks-the-community plot, which is basically every Agatha Christie novel and daytime British murder mystery shows that was already thoroughly lampooned by Hot Fuzz.

So, yeah, it's an incredibly derivative show, and not that great. But it has terrific acting, and I'm loving the cinematography and editing, so I guess I'll sit it out to the end.

Thirdmango
03-15-2013, 02:03 PM
thoroughly lampooned by Hot Fuzz.

Nice pun, since two of the main actors are from that movie. I watched the first episode and liked it a lot, I haven't watched the second but will be soon enough.

number8
03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Nice pun, since two of the main actors are from that movie. I watched the first episode and liked it a lot, I haven't watched the second but will be soon enough.

Who is the other besides Colman?

There's a lot more Darvill's priest character in the second ep. He's currently the most interesting character to me.

Thirdmango
03-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Who is the other besides Colman?

David Bradley

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0103195/

number8
03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Oh shit! That's right. I was busy hating him because he killed Tricey.

Lazlo
09-10-2013, 03:18 AM
Just finished this. Got the torrent because I got impatient watching week to week. Loved it. It's powerful and emotional in ways other murder mysteries haven't been for me. It's not so much a whodunit or even a whydunit. It's really a to-whomdunit and I really felt for those affected. Top marks for Coleman and Tennant.

number8
09-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Oh shit! That's right. I was busy hating him because he killed Tricey.

This post is hilariously paltry after this year's Game of Thrones.

slqrick
09-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Watched the first two episodes. The tone and format are nearly identical to The Killing, so that's going to be a really hard comparison to shake off. Tennant's character, though, is more like Luther 2.0. Then there's the big-city-cop-comes-to-small-town-where-everyone-knows-each-other-and-inexplicably-there's-a-murder-that-shocks-the-community plot, which is basically every Agatha Christie novel and daytime British murder mystery shows that was already thoroughly lampooned by Hot Fuzz.

So, yeah, it's an incredibly derivative show, and not that great. But it has terrific acting, and I'm loving the cinematography and editing, so I guess I'll sit it out to the end.

After watching the first two episodes, I get more of a Top of the Lake vibe than The Killing, especially in terms of the lush cinematography. But you're right, the set up is pretty derivative of most small town murder stories. I'm enjoying it so far though, some really strong performances.

MadMan
09-17-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm really pissed that I wasn't able to finish this. I think I was midway through, and what I saw was really very good, maybe even great. The last episode I left off of on was the one where David Tennant's character had just had supper at his partner's house. Nice mix of humor and surprises in that one.

I haven't seen The Killing or Top of the Lake, although I have Top of the Lake on my Netflix Instant queue.

Kurosawa Fan
09-18-2013, 02:36 AM
Watched the first episode today. It was hit and miss, with much more hits than misses. Acting was superb, story is intriguing, slo-mo was a poor crutch, symbolism was really blunt and clumsy, and the characters are all a bit archetypal. Still, the performances, actors, and story are all more than enough motivation to continue.

Winston*
09-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Finished it up. Was kind of ready to come down negative on the show because even at 8 episodes it was feeling pretty dragged out, but the finale was very well done. Olivia Coleman is such a fantastic actress.

Not sure what they're going to do for the second series. Ending seemed pretty conclusive.

number8
10-03-2013, 07:00 PM
What the fuck?

FOX is remaking this, and David Tennant will star as an American version of his character.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/02/broadchurch-david-tennant-fox-remake/

Winston*
11-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Anna Gunn is playing Colman's part. She's great but, still, a step down.

Jacki Weaver's playing the camper van woman. Also it's called 'Gracepoint', which amuses me.

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/anna-gunn-jacki-weaver-join-foxs-remake-of-broadchurch-1200850551/