PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Pop - Film Swap Review

Yxklyx
01-25-2008, 09:59 PM
A belated review... recommended by Eleven

Monterey Pop (1968, D.A. Pennebaker) [Disc 1 from the newly released set]

It's a mixed bag of different shapes and sizes. There's very little shown other than the performances and some audience shots which was fine. Towards the beginning there are some rather mediocre acts (from bands I've never heard of) and some very good ones. Also, some of the musical selections left a bit to be desired. I like Simon and Garfunkel but Feeling Groovy is not something I'd go to a concert to listen to - blech. The Mamas and the Papas song felt a bit flat - I mean where's the flute solo - that's that makes that song (California Dreamin'). The best of the early performances is Janis Joplin singing Ball and Chain. Spectacular! Canned Heat has a very good set too - I don't think I've ever listened to them before. Jefferson Airplane and the guy from The Byrds (?) had rather dull sets. As for Hendrix and The Who, they both felt out of place. They were more about the act than the music. I didn't realize that Daltry's stutter in My Generation was just a gimmick to make their performance stand out and during Hendrix' sex with the guitar the camera kept lingering on a girl who looked totally bored with the whole thing. I'm probably forgetting a few other good performances BUT the definite highlight of the film is the last set where Ravi Shankar goes wild for about 15 minutes. That amazing finale is all that was needed. 6/10

Kurious Jorge v3.1
01-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I found the Ravi Shakar performance to be utterly boring.

The best performance for me was on the outtakes disc (disc 3?) and that was Big Brother and the Holding Company's "Combition of the Two". What an amazing performance of that song!

origami_mustache
01-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Otis Redding's is my favorite performance.

Wryan
01-26-2008, 01:45 AM

/collapses

Wryan
01-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Otis Redding's is my favorite performance.

I haven't seen the dvd but seen many of the clips on YouTube. The only Redding clip I saw was Satisfaction which was great BUT he does it even better on Ready, Steady, Go. Also found on youtube. :D

Yxklyx
01-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Otis Redding does Shake in this movie - and yes, it's very good though the camera goes a bit overboard with the white light thing.

Yxklyx
01-26-2008, 01:52 AM

origami_mustache
01-26-2008, 01:59 AM
I haven't seen the dvd but seen many of the clips on YouTube. The only Redding clip I saw was Satisfaction which was great BUT he does it even better on Ready, Steady, Go. Also found on youtube. :D

My favorite is "I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)"
but yeah the filmmakers do some distracting things like the giant Shake text across his face. haha