PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Development (Season 4)

number8
02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Don't get your hopes up for Season 5, because there won't be one.

"We’re done shooting it and it was great. Also, it will be extremely complicated for the viewers. 14 episodes, all separate, with each character getting their own episode, but all the action happens simultaneously. So you can stop my episode at the very moment that, say, Gob rides by on his Segway and then click into his episode and follow him."

"I don’t know how Mitchell Hurwitz wrote it, shot it or scheduled it, I don’t know how he’s editing it but it’ll be amazing. I think. And it’s only the first third of a three part story; the second two parts will be in the movie. So this is the first act, and the movie is act two and three. They’re all just asking questions that the movie itself will answer."

If the movie doesn't happen... Christ.

number8
02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings described the upcoming fourth season of Arrested Development as a "fantastic one-off" made possible under "non-repeatable" circumstances. "We don't anticipate being able to do seasons five, six, seven. We have less of a stake in it," he said. "Arrested Development is a wildly successful tactic as opposed to fundamental to the strategy."

He's basically saying they commissioned S4 as a publicity move because they knew it's a series that would get a lot of press for Netflix.

Ezee E
02-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Can't wait.

D_Davis
02-25-2013, 10:52 PM
That sounds awesome.

Gizmo
02-25-2013, 11:06 PM
*glee*

number8
02-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Friday, baby.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Holy crap this Friday? Damn!

ledfloyd
02-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Everything I can find says May.

number8
02-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Everything I can find says May.

Ah! Son of a bitch! I thought it was March 1, I thought Netflix was supposed to be debuting a new show each month. Eli Roth's horror show is coming on in April.

Damn.

EDIT: Maybe March is gonna be Derek instead.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
You jerk!

EyesWideOpen
02-26-2013, 12:18 AM
I could have sworn Gervais said April for Derek.

transmogrifier
02-26-2013, 01:04 AM
The idea that each episode focuses on one character is not exactly something that appeals to me. The show works best by bouncing the family members and their stories off each other.

Lucky
02-26-2013, 01:07 AM
The idea that each episode focuses on one character is not exactly something that appeals to me. The show works best by bouncing the family members and their stories off each other.

Yeah, I'm a little wary about this as well, but I imagine they will do some bumping into each other. And the whole concept sounds intriguing and rewarding on rewatch. It could take a cue from Coupling and have some of those multi-viewpoint episodes. It makes for some stellar comedy, and I haven't seen it done successfully since that show.

number8
02-26-2013, 02:04 AM
From what I hear, getting the entire cast together was impossible because they are all so busy nowadays, so this was a way to do it without leaving anyone behind. It does sound like some characters will not be interacting with each other at all this season.

MadMan
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
I'll finish up the rest of the show (I'm midway through Season 2) and then watch the latest season. All I know is that I'm excited.

number8
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Have you guys noticed that all the fake movies and TV shows are up on Netflix? :lol:

number8
03-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Here's more info on how this season is making use of the Netflix "release all at once" model.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/03/netflix/?cid=6579584

Each episode will cover events from a different character’s point of view, like a comedic Rashomon. There will be moments and Easter eggs that will make sense only in retrospect. There will be a suggested viewing sequence, but it will be possible—even rewarding—to watch out of sequence.

Because Netflix doesn’t have to worry about commercial breaks or time slots, he can make episodes of variable lengths that can run in any order. (He even briefly considered designing the new season as a choose-your-own-adventure story.) He can make television built to be binged. “In its purest form,” he says, “a new medium requires a new format.”

Back on the set of Arrested Development, actress Portia de Rossi, who plays Lindsay Bluth Fünke, says that at one point she had seven scripts splayed across her dressing room floor because it was the only way she could grasp all of the plot’s intricacies. “I did a scene with Jessica [Walter, who plays Lindsay’s mother], where she seemed to be saying the nastiest things, in my mind, because it was so sarcastic,” she says. “But in her episode, you realize that she was being sincere. If you see my episode first, you’re like, ‘That fucking bitch.’ But if you see hers first, I look completely heartless.”

The new Arrested Development is not just a seven-hour movie. It’s something new—a collection of episodes released altogether that can be remixed and recombined and that gain something from each juxtaposition. Right now that’s a framework only Netflix can offer.

Lucky
03-23-2013, 12:50 AM
This sounds completely up my alley. The fact that it's this show on top of it is making my anticipation meter rake in at levels unseen since I was a child around Christmastime.

ledfloyd
04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
May 26 is the official date. This is the best birthday present ever.

number8
04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/388580_241134189366427_8142922 51_n.jpg

number8
05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Netflix is bringing Bluth's banana stand to NY and LA. I am gonna be all over that shit.

Ezee E
05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Netflix is bringing Bluth's banana stand to NY and LA. I am gonna be all over that shit.

London right now. PLEASE, bring to Denver.

Not counting on it. But would be awesome.

Shoot... We didn't even get a Jim Gaffigan visit, and he went to nearly every state.

Acapelli
05-13-2013, 05:01 AM
http://youtu.be/C5ddjzGft0k

:)

Dead & Messed Up
05-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Huzzah!

D_Davis
05-13-2013, 03:04 PM
The juice-box bit at the end...classic.

number8
05-16-2013, 04:34 PM
It was actually delicious.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d4f43bde9231ee41ccdd1908e4fa26 52/tumblr_mmwgitHrEk1rg365do1_400 .jpg

Ezee E
05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Jealous.

MadMan
05-23-2013, 08:42 AM
number8 you luck SOB...

And I finished Season 3, and it was awesome. I just now watched the trailer, and it has me so damn excited. My friend and I are huge fans of the show and we can't wait.

Sycophant
05-23-2013, 09:58 AM
I just rewatched the entire series this last month. I hadn't watched them at all since the last episode aired seven years ago, I think (before that, I'd watched season two probably thrice over and season one close to ten times). The first season is a sort of miracle of television. Almost everything it does works, and it possesses a stronger core sitcom sensibility that gets lost in the web of in-jokes and recursion (delightful as they are) in the second and third seasons. Many characters by the end of season three barely resemble the characters we spent most of season one with, with Tobias and Lindsay suffering the most. Lindsay in particular--whose season one relationship with Michael was one of that season's best features--is little more than her "SLUT" tee-shirt by season's end (and, of course, Tobias just wants to fuck dudes). I'm hoping that by having this opportunity to newly situate these characters in the present, with a few years of unseen experience and changes, they can reshape some of their flatter aspects to make them more coherent and dimensional characters in this new season.

I can't help but be excited for the fourth season though.

Dukefrukem
05-23-2013, 11:31 AM
God it's been seven years? :(

Sycophant
05-23-2013, 12:16 PM
We old, homie.

Gizmo
05-23-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm going to have to stay out of this thread here soon. Not gonna start watching until next weekend after my surgery when I'll be bedridden anyway. No point in marathoning it while I can still move about and do other things.

MadMan
05-24-2013, 01:30 AM
I can't really comment on Lindsey (and maybe I agree she kind of got shoved aside too) but Tobias was the best thing about Season 3. He was consistently funny in every episode, which is kind of remarkable considering the show's level of talent. If anything he made me care about the last couple of episodes because Season 3 despite having a good solid finale trailed off a bit near the end. I kind of missed Rita, because she was a good addition to the show and was funny in a really awful way due to her disability.

Mara
05-25-2013, 10:04 PM
So, does this go down at midnight? EST?

ThePlashyBubbler
05-25-2013, 10:13 PM
So, does this go down at midnight? EST?

Midnight pacific, so 3 a.m. eastern.

Mara
05-26-2013, 12:20 AM

NETFLIX WHY. I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS.

Lazlo
05-26-2013, 12:21 AM

Wow, that's really disappointing.

number8
05-26-2013, 04:11 AM
The final countdown.

D_Davis
05-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Pacific Time aka The Best Time

Henry Gale
05-26-2013, 07:57 AM
It exists!

*Doesn't return until they've all been watched*

Thirdmango
05-26-2013, 09:28 AM
I hadn't really planned on watching this when it came out, and yet here I am three episode in.

EvilShoe
05-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Have to wait till someone uploads these as torrents... how's the initial response? Good?

Mara
05-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Two initial thoughts (won't be able to get through all of them today):

*Kristen Wiig has Jessica Walter's eye acting down cold.

*Is there a way for John Slattery to not look attractive? I think it might not be possible.

ledfloyd
05-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Does the pacing feel off to anyone else? Also, SO much exposition. This issues may not be unrelated.

I'm not sure opening with a lengthy explanation of a not particularly amusing holiday that doesn't have much to do with anything else was the way to go either.

But John Slattery! Kristen Wiig! I'm not going to stop watching, that's for sure.

Edit: Just started episode 3. Portia de Rossi has obviously had some work done.

Mr. McGibblets
05-26-2013, 12:49 PM
I really liked the Michael episode, but the George Sr. episode is subpar. Especially the Asian woman who yells everything in a "funny" voice.

ledfloyd
05-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Episode 4 is fantastic.

Mr. McGibblets
05-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Carl Weathers!

Ezee E
05-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Episode 1 was a bit rough out of the gate, but kind of expected.

Henry Gale
05-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Yeah, these are weird. Watched the first three late last night. Not bad, just off in some way, even though I knew it would technically play out like this, episode to episode.

Not sure if it's the drastic one-character-centric structural shift, how much they've forced change on some of the character's behaviour (mostly Michael, right off the bat), or the constant jumping around in time, but at this point I just hope the drier, less immediately fruitful patches at least reciprocate in an unexpectedly brilliant ways, since I can already tell certain things won't pay off for hours of series time. Also knowing they went back and retroactively wrote and shot more scenes for episodes they were otherwise done with might explain some of the awkwardness.

BUT, it is still extremely funny in spots, and of course I still love these characters and should realize the universe of this show is rich enough that people like me that have begged for more for a reason, and I should be more grateful that it's come into fruition at all. But as much as it's good to have it back around, it still feels like the movie might still be where their heads and their hearts are.

Hugh_Grant
05-26-2013, 03:47 PM
My husband was crying at episode 5. I had to come downstairs to see what was so funny.

Henry Gale
05-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Okay, I take back a lot of what I just said after seeing episode 4.

Fantastic.

Qrazy
05-26-2013, 05:19 PM
I am so happy to have this show back and have it still be funny. The first time I ever saw AD was on a flight back from NYC during a very dark period in my life. It was the very first episode of the very first season and I'm pretty sure it aired on that flight even before it was on Fox. I had heard nothing about it, checked it out on a whim and was blown away. I laughed heartily during a time in which for me it was difficult to even smile. As a result all those flight references in the first episode of this new season resonated all the more strongly with me. Now it's time to marathon for the rest of the day and then experience a brutal withdrawal period tomorrow. I've finally had my seven year itch scratched.

Mara
05-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Wow. Episode 7 has some CRAZY levels of cringe! I mean, it's hilarious, but it's so cringy.

slqrick
05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Had to endure quite a bit of turbulence watching the first two. Hadn't really followed the hype leading up to this in recent months, and tonally it just all felt a bit weird. I think the show starts to pick up a groove by episode 3. I'm glad there are 15 eps of this though, that's for sure.

Thirdmango
05-26-2013, 10:28 PM
episode 7 has been my favorite so far. I couldn't contain my laughter.

Mara
05-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Jessica Walter: holy pins. Was she a dancer?

Dead & Messed Up
05-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Re-activated Netflix for this.

So glad I did.

I'm trying to do that thing Hurwitz mentioned, where you see something happen in one episode and jump into another to get the context for it. Most of it's been relegated to the opening five minutes of the shows (the re-caps), but after watching the first two episodes in sequence, I stopped Lindsay's episode when Gob shouts "I got a yes!" and skipped over to Gob's episode. Then I jumped back, rewound Lindsay's episode a few seconds, and heard background dialogue from Gob's episode quietly looped in.

I don't know how often I'll be doing that, but I loved that the option was there, and that it was seamless.

Da Michael :sad:

Mara
05-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Finished ep 10. I'm enjoying it overall, but we're spending way too much time with some characters (Oscar, Michael, and Tobias) and not nearly enough with others (Maeby, George Michael.) Really, really loving the twisty interconnecting writing.

Mara
05-27-2013, 12:41 AM
George Michael doesn't know who Lucille 2 is.

That is the greatest reveal ever.

Qrazy
05-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Finished ep 10. I'm enjoying it overall, but we're spending way too much time with some characters (Oscar, Michael, and Tobias) and not nearly enough with others (Maeby, George Michael.) Really, really loving the twisty interconnecting writing.

I want more GOB time.

Mara
05-27-2013, 12:52 AM
I'm burned out. But can someone explain to me the thing about Sally Sitwell and the moth and the caterpillar? Did I not get it, or is it a set-up to a joke later on?

Dead & Messed Up
05-27-2013, 01:21 AM
I think I'm gonna stop at four for today. I should mete this out a little more.

Ezee E
05-27-2013, 02:12 AM
Episode 2, and I have yet to see a scene with Maebe. I'm not worried that it isn't coming, but still.

I wonder when someone will edit all of this together in a "beginning to end" type of thing.

EyesWideOpen
05-27-2013, 02:25 AM
Episode 2, and I have yet to see a scene with Maebe. I'm not worried that it isn't coming, but still.

I wonder when someone will edit all of this together in a "beginning to end" type of thing.

She was in multiple scenes in episode 2.

Qrazy
05-27-2013, 03:04 AM
I'm burned out. But can someone explain to me the thing about Sally Sitwell and the moth and the caterpillar? Did I not get it, or is it a set-up to a joke later on?

She is hairless like her father. Hence, has never had to shave her legs.

ledfloyd
05-27-2013, 03:09 AM
Okay, I take back a lot of what I just said after seeing episode 4.

Fantastic.
Indeed. Unfortunately, it's kind of flagged again after that for me. I'm not getting the hype surrounding episode 7, despite the terrific "and Jeremy Piven" gag.

Re-activated Netflix for this.

So glad I did.

I'm trying to do that thing Hurwitz mentioned, where you see something happen in one episode and jump into another to get the context for it. Most of it's been relegated to the opening five minutes of the shows (the re-caps), but after watching the first two episodes in sequence, I stopped Lindsay's episode when Gob shouts "I got a yes!" and skipped over to Gob's episode. Then I jumped back, rewound Lindsay's episode a few seconds, and heard background dialogue from Gob's episode quietly looped in.

I don't know how often I'll be doing that, but I loved that the option was there, and that it was seamless.

Da Michael :sad:
Is that actually an option? I haven't seen it pop up. Also, Hurwitz has been trying to get out there that he failed at making episodes that could be watched in any order, and he thinks watching from beginning to end is pretty imperative now.

Dead & Messed Up
05-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Indeed. Unfortunately, it's kind of flagged again after that for me. I'm not getting the hype surrounding episode 7, despite the terrific "and Jeremy Piven" gag.

Is that actually an option? I haven't seen it pop up. Also, Hurwitz has been trying to get out there that he failed at making episodes that could be watched in any order, and he thinks watching from beginning to end is pretty imperative now.

Yeah, after watching 4 and 5, I realized it'd be best to keep the episode hopping to a minimum. But it wasn't any sort of special thing. I just clicked back.

Also, Netflix has crashed. This is bad news for me, but it is great news for Hurwitz.

DavidSeven
05-27-2013, 03:24 AM

She was in multiple scenes in episode 2.

She was in the very first episode.

number8
05-27-2013, 03:28 AM
I finished it.

That was not only hilarious, but an absolutely brilliant structure. AND that crazy ending sets up a movie. Awesome awesome awesome. Hype met.

number8
05-27-2013, 03:30 AM
This would have been a nightmare trying to follow on a weekly basis. They definitely wrote it like this just because they know people could binge it.

Kurosawa Fan
05-27-2013, 03:42 AM
Through episode five. Two and three were pretty weak, but the other three had me laughing hysterically multiple times. That Tobias episode was some of their best work. So great to have this show back in my life. Can't wait to see how it finishes.

number8
05-27-2013, 03:52 AM
Wow a lot of people fell for the "Showstealer Pro" gag apparently.

Kurosawa Fan
05-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Wow a lot of people fell for the "Showstealer Pro" gag apparently.

Sort of got me at first (I just thought it was an error on the part of Netflix). That's one of those gags that was funny the first time, but doing it every episode (thus far) is too much.

ledfloyd
05-27-2013, 03:59 AM
OK, episode 9 was nearly as good as (if not better than) episode 4.

number8
05-27-2013, 04:13 AM
Sort of got me at first (I just thought it was an error on the part of Netflix). That's one of those gags that was funny the first time, but doing it every episode (thus far) is too much.

Eh, I like the consistency of it appearing on all old footage. It's also a pretty good reminder of which shots in the flashback scenes were newly inserted.

Qrazy
05-27-2013, 04:46 AM
Done.

Boomerang. Looks like Lucy Schwartz has a new hit single on her hands.

Henry Gale
05-27-2013, 06:07 AM
The Showstealer Trial Version watermark threw me right off the bat, but then I realized what it actually said and thought it was a pretty funny if oddly niche kind of joke to throw in there (which is saying something for a show that's always specialized in that sort of thing).

But has anyone else noticed random Facebook-message notification sounds pop up a couple of times pretty prominently in the mix in ways that don't make sense to anything happening on-screen? I've watched the first 8 episodes over two different Netflix apps (Xbox and Blu-ray) and both times I've heard it in an episode.

Lucky
05-27-2013, 06:33 AM
They're still bleeping the show on Netflix? Curious.

number8
05-27-2013, 07:13 AM
They're still bleeping the show on Netflix? Curious.

It's an intentional choice. Hurwitz thinks it's funnier that way.

His thinking is that Ron Howard is a wholesome guy, and he's not just a narrator, he also interacts with the show and edits the presentation, and Opie decided that he doesn't like to see certain things or hear certain words.

Mara
05-27-2013, 11:43 AM
She is hairless like her father. Hence, has never had to shave her legs.

AHA!

Mara
05-27-2013, 12:21 PM
I'd kind of forgotten how strong a comic actor Michael Cera is. The passive-aggressive voice mail fight between him and Bateman in episode 13 is golden.

Kurosawa Fan
05-27-2013, 01:58 PM

Hurwitz is correct.

EvilShoe
05-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Downloaded the eps to watch the season with some work friends later this week. Wanted to check the first minute to see what the quality's like, ended up watching the entire episode. Must.honor.agreement.

Ezee E
05-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Guess the showstealer is over my head.

Eps 3-5 have all been back on par. I wasn't worried about it getting there, but just wanted to know how long. Tobias seems to be the star here, every scene of his is hilarious.

slqrick
05-27-2013, 04:32 PM
The whole thing feels less jarring as it goes on, and after 5 eps, setting up the season arc in this kind of convoluted manner was a great idea by Hurwitz. A lof rewatches will be going down in the next month or so, and rightfully so. After the initial awkwardness, the humor has really come back.

Thirdmango
05-27-2013, 05:40 PM
I think the reason the showstealer gag is in so many episodes is because they at that time thought they were still going to do it where you could watch them in any order. So if you started with someone else's then you saw the gag there.

Thirdmango
05-27-2013, 05:45 PM
I was planning on watching the rest last night but with two episodes left got super tired. So I went to bed and had Arrested Development fever dreams of what my dreams thought the last two episodes were. It was both hilarious and insane.

Dead & Messed Up
05-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Just watched this gag.

I don't know for sure, but I'm 90% thinking

she's hairless like her father. She mentioned never shaving her legs, she rubs her eyebrow the same the time she freaks out about a "caterpillar," and the moth probably refers to her...uh...

personal area.

number8
05-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Speaking of subtle jokes, I found out that George Maharis was an actual TV actor in the 60s who was caught having gay sex in a public bathroom.

That. Is. An. Amazing. Joke.

Lucky
05-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Maria Bamford is a great fit for this show. Just finished Ep 5, best so far.

Lucky
05-27-2013, 06:34 PM

His thinking is that Ron Howard is a wholesome guy, and he's not just a narrator, he also interacts with the show and edits the presentation, and Opie decided that he doesn't like to see certain things or hear certain words.

Assumed it was intentional, but interesting reason. Agreed it can sometimes be funnier. Best example I can think of is Buster's rant on Lucille in the 1st season's "Bringing up Buster."

Qrazy
05-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Assumed it was intentional, but interesting reason. Agreed it can sometimes be funnier. Best example I can think of is Buster's rant on Lucille in the 1st season's "Bringing up Buster."

Also used twice to wonderful effect this season by Michael when he's singing about Rebel.

ledfloyd
05-27-2013, 07:13 PM
I got through 11 last night. 9-11 were hysterical.

Qrazy
05-27-2013, 09:47 PM
So does anyone else want to start speculating on the loose ends with me?

In terms of Gob's magic trick I"m guessing... Ann's father ruined the trick. It could have also been Ann but that seems less likely since we see the pastor peak inside and then he's forced to lie about the trick.

Qrazy
05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
There's so much wrong in this article (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/27/arrested-development-why-netflix-s-revival-failed.html).

Too many callbacks and in jokes? The show is called Arrested Development FFS. The genius of the show is in repeating the exact same material again and again and again but spinning it slightly different each time. These characters (like all sitcom characters) don't change, except that this show (unlike other sitcoms) realizes that not changing over an extended period of time is actually it's own form of change. While beliefs and behaviours don't shift, time inevitably marches on (Steve Holt!). By not being able to escape their own narcissistic little worlds their family unit has begun to fracture more than ever. This is most evident in the Michael and George Michael relationship. Michael believes himself superior to his family, but even as early as season one he never truly listened to his son. Now finally he as well as all the other family members, have to come face to face with their growing alienation (hello darkness my old friend) in this techno-centric capitalist minded modern world.

Qrazy
05-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Ooh I just noticed some quality foreshadowing. Full series spoilers.

After the ball pen fight... a kid says thanks for ruining my birthday party and hits Michael in the face with a red crayon. And as we later learn Michael ruined George Michael's birthday as well and down the road of course George Michael punches him in the face. Oh and the color of the crayon matches George Michael's shirt (overall red with black stripes). Actually upon further reflection the kid who hits Michael might be Rebel's son Lem because he's red-headed.

ledfloyd
05-28-2013, 12:11 AM
There's so much wrong in this article (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/27/arrested-development-why-netflix-s-revival-failed.html).

Too many callbacks and in jokes? The show is called Arrested Development FFS.
I haven't read the article because I want to finish the series first, but I felt some of the callbacks were a bit overwrought, like the loose seal gag. A lot of them feel completely natural, but the ones that don't stick out.

DavidSeven
05-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Took me a while to vibe with the format change, but I thought the season was brilliant on the whole. Exceeded my expectations. Hope there's more coming.

Thirdmango
05-28-2013, 03:35 AM
as far as in jokes go, luckily some of the worst jokes weren't repeated such as the different siblings doing their own chicken dance.

Qrazy
05-28-2013, 04:07 AM
as far as in jokes go, luckily some of the worst jokes weren't repeated such as the different siblings doing their own chicken dance.

The chicken dances rule.

DavidSeven
05-28-2013, 04:12 AM
I had one of the hardest laughs I've ever had when Gob and Lindsay first did their chicken dances in unison, and I feel no shame about that.

Qrazy
05-28-2013, 06:59 AM
I had one of the hardest laughs I've ever had when Gob and Lindsay first did their chicken dances in unison, and I feel no shame about that.

I'm a big fan of Tobias falling through the coffee table. Physical comedy ftw.

Mara
05-28-2013, 11:54 AM

I laughed pretty hard when George Michael almost did a chicken dance, only to be interrupted.

Ezee E
05-28-2013, 12:33 PM
What the hell?

Chicken dance is one of my favorite things about the show.

Mara
05-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm surprised by all the negativity by critics I'm seeing. I mean, it may not have been perfect, but not-perfect Arrested Development is better than 90% of other comedies out there.

ledfloyd
05-28-2013, 02:22 PM
I think it has some pretty serious structural problems. It's good, but far from great. Still, looking forward to reassessing it in the near future, and can't wait for the movie.

D_Davis
05-28-2013, 03:34 PM
I'll be waiting a few weeks/months to watch.

Going to let the hype die down, so then it'll just be another thing, instead of THE THING!

Ezee E
05-28-2013, 04:39 PM
At Episode 8. It just continues to get better.

number8
05-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Wow, seriously? Netflix stock dropped 6% yesterday (biggest drop in 6 months) following the bad reviews of the new season. That seems pretty hasty, given that Netflix has yet to release any data on how many new subscribers they've gained or how many subscribers even watched the season.

Ezee E
05-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Was it generally bad reviews? They kind of seemed all over the place. Nonetheless, everyone was using Netflix this weekend.

DavidSeven
05-29-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm guessing the drop really isn't about the critical reactions. It's just an easy headline that grabs attention. Poor journalism that's trying to sell correlation as causation.

I'm more annoyed by the mixed reviews than I think I normally would be. Part of that is the sense that the show already had to put up with absurd levels of misunderstanding during its first run on FOX. Another part is that I think there's some legitimately brilliant stuff here, and I love that they managed to use scheduling limitations to their advantage by doing something truly creative and different. I think people are overreacting to the first few episodes, which admittedly aren't the best and take some getting used to. I really can't see how you could watch the entire thing and say this isn't one of the very best things available on "television." Mostly, I just hope the lukewarm reception isn't discouraging the people involved from doing more.

number8
05-29-2013, 07:20 PM
It could be the word of mouth reaction, too, which is annoyingly not so great right now.

DavidSeven
05-29-2013, 07:28 PM
I could see that being a factor. That might be the downfall of Netflix's "all at once" approach. It seems everything hinges on how the first few episodes are received and then you never get another shot at positive press/buzz. For example, I think AD had a much better overall season than House of Cards, but the latter was stellar initially, got great W.O.M. out of the gate and will probably be remembered as a bigger success for that alone.

number8
05-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Pretty much, because when you release everything in a day, it's extremely hard to differentiate between the reaction for the first episode or the reaction for the overall season. There's not really a way to gauge a change in the WOM.

slqrick
05-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Wow, seriously? Netflix stock dropped 6% yesterday (biggest drop in 6 months) following the bad reviews of the new season. That seems pretty hasty, given that Netflix has yet to release any data on how many new subscribers they've gained or how many subscribers even watched the season.

I wonder if it's somehow related to this article. (http://www.avclub.com/articles/netflix-to-avoid-panic-over-expiring-titles-by-jus,98266/)

NickGlass
05-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Did anyone else find this season, shall we say, darker?

Mr. McGibblets
05-30-2013, 01:10 AM
I don't want to sound complain-ey because I loved the season, but the on a second watch, the timeline doesn't work very well. Spoilers for the whole season:

It's supposed to be 6 years between the end of Season 3 and the "Cinco" that the show focuses on (Ann has a 5 year old; Michael is now 43 when he was 37 before), but some of the characters only have a year or two worth of stuff that they do. Michael, for example, borrows the money clearly in May 2008, but then does nothing until he moves in with his son in the fall of 2011 or so.

Watching more, I think it was probably written originally as a 3-4 year stretch and the specific mentions were stretched even though the plot wasn't.

Qrazy
05-30-2013, 01:41 AM
I don't want to sound complain-ey because I loved the season, but the on a second watch, the timeline doesn't work very well. Spoilers for the whole season:

It's supposed to be 6 years between the end of Season 3 and the "Cinco" that the show focuses on (Ann has a 5 year old; Michael is now 43 when he was 37 before), but some of the characters only have a year or two worth of stuff that they do. Michael, for example, borrows the money clearly in May 2008, but then does nothing until he moves in with his son in the fall of 2011 or so.

Watching more, I think it was probably written originally as a 3-4 year stretch and the specific mentions were stretched even though the plot wasn't.

Um... he's building and living in the failing Sudden Valley during all that time.

Mr. McGibblets
05-30-2013, 01:49 AM
Um... he's building and living in the failing Sudden Valley during all that time.

May 2008 is the second time he goes to her for money; after the montage where everything was built. The first time was either February 2006 or February 2007.

Watching more, everyone's timeline is jumping from early 2008 (Lucille's trial, which is before May 1, 2008 according to a printed date) to some time in 2011.

number8
05-30-2013, 04:52 AM
May 2008 is the second time he goes to her for money; after the montage where everything was built. The first time was either February 2006 or February 2007.

Yes, he went to her for money before he started living in Sudden Valley, taking online classes from University of Phoenix, with Pete the Mailman as his only link to the outside world for 4 years.

EyesWideOpen
05-30-2013, 05:12 AM
I'm on episode ten and while it's still a good show it's nowhere near the levels of season 1 & 2. I've been watching the final episodes of Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23 recently also and those are eliciting more enjoyment from me and more laughter.

number8
05-30-2013, 05:56 AM
If anyone's wondering, I've watched the season twice now. Definitely funnier the second time.

Milky Joe
05-30-2013, 06:00 AM
I am about halfway through. Where are the laughs? I think the first episode was the funniest one so far. Sad, but I am still enjoying it and always look forward to watching.

Qrazy
05-30-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm on episode ten and while it's still a good show it's nowhere near the levels of season 1 & 2. I've been watching the final episodes of Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23 recently also and those are eliciting more enjoyment from me and more laughter.

Your sense of humor has jumped the shark. Kidding, but man I found this season of AD a million times better than Don't Trust the B. It's so much more layered and hilarious.

I do agree that Seasons 1 and 2 were the best of course.

EvilShoe
05-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Question regarding Gob's magic trick:
Was it revealed who sabotaged him?

The season itself is not perfect, but it's insanely bold which makes me appreciate it more than had it just been a normal continuation of the Fox incarnation.

number8
05-30-2013, 03:17 PM
The season itself is not perfect, but it's insanely bold which makes me appreciate it more than had it just been a normal continuation of the Fox incarnation.

Looking at Family Guy and Futurama, giving fans more of the same doesn't necessarily make them happy anyway. Might as well try something new.

ledfloyd
05-30-2013, 03:46 PM
If anyone's wondering, I've watched the season twice now. Definitely funnier the second time.
I don't know. I went to start it a second time. And the absurdly heavy exposition (the explanation of Cinco de Cuatro that goes on and on), drawn out jokes (the Grinch thing, Michael trying to kiss Lucille II), and unnecessary voiceover ("unfortunately it was his son's dorm room") grated enough that I felt the need to give it some space before returning to it.

I really did enjoy the last two-thirds of the season, but I don't think it's without some significant problems.

Lucky
05-31-2013, 03:21 AM
George Michael and the kissing experiment.

1....1....1.1..1! :lol:

Milky Joe
05-31-2013, 04:21 AM
Episode 7 brought the laughs. That was the first time it felt like Arrested Development. Tony Wonder does not disappoint.

Lucky
05-31-2013, 04:25 AM
Ok, the Buster episode is my favorite. I should have guessed this. Why does he only get one episode? His solitary time at the apartment without Lucille was hilarious, but George Michael's reaction to his new hand at the end takes the cake.

Qrazy
05-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Ok, the Buster episode is my favorite. I should have guessed this. Why does he only get one episode? His solitary time at the apartment without Lucille was hilarious, but George Michael's reaction to his new hand at the end takes the cake.

Agreed, Buster and GOB are my favorites, Buster should have had a second ep over many of the others.

ThePlashyBubbler
05-31-2013, 05:44 PM
I've finally had my seven year itch scratched.

Same!

number8
05-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Finally bothered to write about it. (http://www.artboiled.com/2013/netflixs-most-original-programming-is-a-semi-original-show/) Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Derek
05-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Anyone catch themselves randomly singing "Get away Getaway" throughout the week?

transmogrifier
05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
The first three episodes are kind of.....bad. Super flabby and not all that funny.

Derek
05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
The first three episodes are kind of.....bad. Super flabby and not all that funny.

It starts getting better, almost immediately with episodes 4 and 5, then dips a bit til 9 or 10 when it's just awesome. It is a little flabby at the beginning, but when you start seeing how carefully the whole thing is constructed, it's pretty damn impressive. Not as funny as Season 1 or 2, but in some ways, I appreciate it even more.

DavidSeven
05-31-2013, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I look at Season 4 as more an impressive overall accomplishment than something that was filled with X number of fantastic episodes. 8 alludes to this a bit in his review. It's hard to fairly grade the early episodes because you eventually realize the greatness those episodes are setting up later on. This is definitely more ambitious than anything they attempted in Seasons 1-3, and I already thought the show was sneakily ambitious in those seasons.

Where it kind of falls short of Season 1-2 is probably in the pathos department. I recently rewatched a few Season 1 episodes, and there was definitely more attention paid to this element of the show early on. Michael's transition from relatable straight man to, well, just another Bluth also hinders this a bit. But ultimately, I liked that they went there this season, because I feel like they've been laying the foundation for that all along and it's interesting place to take the character.

number8
06-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Yeah, definitely. Some of the things in the early episodes that I dismissed as plot points or expositions turn out to be punch lines when you've figured out the context. They definitely devised the season with multiple viewings in mind, which is pretty much delivering what people loved about the first 3 seasons. It's a bit ironic to see a lot of fans online saying that the show lost "it," when it fact they've injected "it" with steroids.

EyesWideOpen
06-01-2013, 04:07 AM

I just finished the season and my opinion didn't change.

EvilShoe
06-01-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm quite surprised at how much of the negative criticism is aimed at Michael's arc in this season. It seemed completely in character to me, and it set up the final shot, which must be one of my fav AD moments.

Qrazy
06-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I may be drunk right now but seriously damn all of you who don't love this season because you are killing the chances of the show continuing.

EyesWideOpen
06-01-2013, 02:46 PM
I may be drunk right now but seriously fuck all of you who don't love this season because you are killing the chances of the show continuing.

Not really sure how that's the case. I enjoyed the season I just didn't love it. I'd watch another season or movie.

Qrazy
06-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Not really sure how that's the case. I enjoyed the season I just didn't love it. I'd watch another season or movie.

Bad word of mouth = bad business = less money being made = Netflix stock falling = No more Arrested Development

number8
06-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Don't worry about it. (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/netflix-arrested-development-season-5/)

ledfloyd
06-01-2013, 03:49 PM
So I should pretend to like it more than I do?

And great review 8. Despite not liking it quite as much as you did, I think everything you wrote is spot on.

Qrazy
06-01-2013, 05:13 PM
So I should pretend to like it more than I do?

Yes.

Qrazy
06-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Don't worry about it. (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/netflix-arrested-development-season-5/)

Good.

MadMan
06-04-2013, 06:39 AM
I may be drunk right now but seriously damn all of you who don't love this season because you are killing the chances of the show continuing.I love the current season and I am watching it currently. I just finished the 8th episode-a Lindsey one. It was good, but I loved Gorb's, titled "Colony Collapse." So damn awesome.

Fezzik
06-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Just finished S4 of Community last night. Tonight, I am starting AD - never seen a full episode before.

Qrazy
06-06-2013, 11:07 PM
I love the current season and I am watching it currently. I just finished the 8th episode-a Lindsey one. It was good, but I loved Gorb's, titled "Colony Collapse." So damn awesome.

They could have also titled it Colon Collapse and it still would have worked. ^_^

Dead & Messed Up
06-06-2013, 11:27 PM
I started rewatching the first episode the other night, and it plays much better once you know what's going on. A lot of subtle changes, especially in terms of dialogue. This season of TV is going to be totemic in the coming years.

NickGlass
06-07-2013, 01:05 AM
I reviewed season four for Slant (http://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/review/arrested-development-season-four) last week and, after watching it a second time, I still have the same reservations/praises but almost want to write more thoughts on the season's construction and callbacks.

(Pretty similar to Arya's thoughts I just read, actually, but I was very fascinated with the darker tone and theme of transformation in this season.)

Acapelli
06-09-2013, 04:05 AM
did anyone else feel a little racist when they assumed that the protesters rioting at cinco de quatro were mexicans and not mongols?

just finished my first go round. loved it

ledfloyd
06-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm through 12 episodes in my rewatch. It definitely plays better on a second viewing. My major problem is that with all the character's that have two part episodes, the first part just doesn't work for me. They are, for the most part, 30 minutes of confused exposition continually jumping back and forth in time. All the part twos are killer though. Along with the Lucille, Maeby, and Buster episodes.

number8
06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
did anyone else feel a little racist when they assumed that the protesters rioting at cinco de quatro were mexicans and not mongols?

just finished my first go round. loved it

Actually, I remember thinking it weird how the protesters looked Chinese, but I didn't think it was intentional. When the twist came, I slapped my forehead.

Gizmo
06-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Finished watching this, and though I took my time, I still feel like I watched it too fast. Now I guess it's time for the rewatch so I can refresh some events, and catch new jokes. There better be another season or movie or something, because the closure that used to exist (for the most part) is now wide open.

Sven
07-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I finished this last night and am not compelled to watch anymore, should more be produced. I'm exhausted by the constant fluctuating alliances and thoroughly hacky sitcom setups relying on assumption and miscommunication. I'm sad that Michael was decentralized and made into a douchebag, as I realize watching S4 that one of the strongest aspects of the first three is the heart that Michael attempts to manifest amidst a sea of lies, idiocy, and narcissism. Frustrated by the lack of any kind of resolve, and the deluge of recycled material and obvious jokes. The more painful emotional moments are soggy - the characters and circumstances are just too phony.

The structure is brilliant, though. I love the event decompression. Maeby and Lindsay have some terrific moments. The GOB and Buster ("Blind Side monster") episodes are the only ones I'd call particularly brilliant. Ron Howard talking about the moon landing was a highlight.

Dukefrukem
04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Another 17 Episodes’ Of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT On The Way- but unclear if Netflix will carry it.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/17-more-episodes-of-arrested-development-planned-brain-grazer-1201406244/

transmogrifier
04-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Hopefully the main cast actually gets to shoot most of it together this time. The individual character-centric structure of S4 didn't do a lot for me at all.

Henry Gale
04-08-2015, 10:42 PM
You guys know about the Season 4 Redux coming soon, right? They're re-editing all of the Netflix revival episodes from their character-centric structure into chronological, previous standard episode format. Ron Howard has been re-recording a lot of his narration and there's apparently going to be new footage as a result of the changes.

I liked Season 4 just fine, particularly for its experimentation (and especially with how well the fragmented structure lent itself to re-watching episodes with added information about certain setpieces and character beats and unknown connections), but these alternate cuts might smooth things over even more nicely for these potential new episodes.

Ezee E
04-08-2015, 11:01 PM
You guys know about the Season 4 Redux coming soon, right? They're re-editing all of the Netflix revival episodes from their character-centric structure into chronological, previous standard episode format. Ron Howard has been re-recording a lot of his narration and there's apparently going to be new footage as a result of the changes.

I liked Season 4 just fine, particularly for its experimentation (and especially with how well the fragmented structure lent itself to re-watching episodes with added information about certain setpieces and character beats and unknown connections), but these alternate cuts might smooth things over even more nicely for these potential new episodes.

Sounds great to me.

number8
04-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Sounds like it would not be what I loved about Season 4, but of course I'll watch it.

Dukefrukem
05-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Don't get your hopes up for Season 5, because there won't be one.

Boom. Roasted.

http://pitchfork.com/news/70878-arrested-development-season-5-on-netflix-announced/