PDA

View Full Version : Cabaret -- A Film Swap Review

Ezee E
01-25-2008, 09:14 PM
-Recommended by Briare Rabbit

Get ready to throw some stones, because here's another classic that I find to be completely, "Meh."

I'm not a big fan of musicals to begin with, so that has some of the explanation of why it took me so long to see this. It's been on my shelf, taking a netflix position for nearly two months, and despite the raves I've heard about it, I wanted to see All That Jazz a little more. I'll still have to see that one.

Anyways, there are musical numbers that are actually pretty fascinating to watch. I almost wish it stayed on the stage, mixing in the climate of Germany with the stage. However, it must leave the stage, and we see it feature Michael York, who I found to be a very uninteresting character. Luckily, he's saved by the very interesting Sarah Bowles. The result is what I found to be a mediocre story bookended by entertaining dancing. Sure, there's the rise of Nazi Germany sprinkled throughout, and a few subplots, but it feels more York to me in the end then Bowles.

Sorry Briare, this one just wasn't for me.

** on the Rosenbaum scale.

Velocipedist
01-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I find Cabaret and Lenny decent enough, but I absolutely hate All That Jazz. What a stinking pile of pre-80s silly, glammy and just uselessly perverted rubbish.

Watashi
01-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I find Cabaret and Lenny decent enough, but I absolutely hate All That Jazz. What a stinking pile of pre-80s silly, glammy and just uselessly perverted rubbish.
This post is full of wrong.

Please fix it, mods.

Spinal
01-25-2008, 11:07 PM
This post is full of wrong.

Please fix it, mods.

Would that I could.

Spinal
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM

You would prefer 'useful' perversion?

Raiders
01-25-2008, 11:12 PM

I... uh... what???

Yxklyx
01-25-2008, 11:20 PM

We need an Invert function in this editor.

Velocipedist
01-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Haha, I was fearing that would stir up some hate. I have yet to encounter another person who dislikes All That Jazz.