PDA

View Full Version : Warm Bodies (Jonathan Levine)

TGM
02-05-2013, 09:14 PM
WARM BODIES

Director: Jonathan Levine

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588173/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

http://cdn.screenpicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/warm-bodies-trailer-header.jpg

number8
02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Should I go see this? I'm 50/50 on it.

TGM
02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
I thought it was a nice, charming, and heart warming film. Currently working on my review for it, but yeah, I'd recommend it.

Edit: And here's my full review (http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2013/02/warm-bodies.html).

Thirdmango
02-17-2013, 01:45 PM
This movie does something I've long been waiting any zombie story to do. Finally a movie that provides a cure.

Rob Corddry was great. The middle was sorta muddled but it was a decently fun movie.

Irish
05-26-2013, 05:37 AM
A sweet natured film that's heavy on premise and light on story. The movie's wildly inventive in working that premise, though. It's also laugh out loud funny with a few well placed sight gags.

A little saccharine toward the end, but I liked its tone and its overall optimism.

Wryan
06-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Yeah this was a nice little thing. Cute, even. Rob Corddry is really good, and I loved the brief moment in the plane when R mimes that he's not going to eat Julie.

Henry Gale
06-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Yeah, my thoughts are pretty much exactly what Irish and Wryan just said.

It's a bit clunky towards the end, but the brunt of its first half or so is just so affably assured, with performances worth clinging onto from very early on, that it made me fairly forgiving in whatever missteps it makes later. It definitely gets a bit corny and moves significantly faster as it goes to seemingly want to breeze past its spottier bits, but I did still at least care about what was going on, even if relatively the same resolution could've been done a little more wryly and leisurely.

But there's also a lot of inventiveness in the main foundations of its zombie science, and its little spins on genre conventions beyond a zombie being the conscious narrator of a story. Aspects like the "corpses" taking on the memories of the people's brains they're eating (especially when they can't remember their own lives), are played so confidently that they work in a very specific, surprising ways. There's a dream sequence a long the way that resonated way more than it should have because of how it works its way into the overall story.

Also, finally a movie that makes Teresa Palmer as lovely and likable on-screen as she always come off in real-life interviews and such.

megladon8
06-09-2013, 05:08 AM
So did this just have a really awful, deceiving ad campaign?

Because the trailers make it look, like,...Twilight awful.

Kurosawa Fan
07-02-2013, 03:47 AM
Logically inconsistent, flounders through the second act, but still has a lot of charm. The love story totally sells it, and really, that's all the film has to offer. If you can't get on board with that, this movie will be an interminable bore. Also, I wish they had ditched the VO. And this film gets one point off for completely wasting Malkovich. Why cast him at all if he's just going to exist in a role anyone could play?

Derek
07-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Logically inconsistent, flounders through the second act, but still has a lot of charm. The love story totally sells it, and really, that's all the film has to offer. If you can't get on board with that, this movie will be an interminable bore. Also, I wish they had ditched the VO. And this film gets one point off for completely wasting Malkovich. Why cast him at all if he's just going to exist in a role anyone could play?

As much as I hated this film, Teresa Palmer was charming as fuck-all. Her adorableness was so potent, it occasionally distracted me from how painfully emo-lame the whole thing was. I hope she starts showing up in more, hopefully better, projects.

Grouchy
07-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Eh, this was bad. The good reception everywhere confuses me.

It's not like I hated it, but I've rarely seen a movie with more transparent plot points. Point, point, point until the end. You can always predict with 100% assurance what's going to happen next. I was bored.

I did laugh near the end when the V.O. says "we could have cured the Bonies with love, but eh, we just killed them". About the only chuckle the movie gave me.

Dukefrukem
08-16-2013, 07:12 PM
A boring and silly premise disguised by convenient editing and emotional music. Worth a viewing? Maybe.

eternity
08-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Silly, but it's very watchable. Nicholas Hoult nails it.