PDA

View Full Version : Justified (Season 4)

Raiders
01-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Really liking this season. It's less focused (this last episode didn't even mention a parachute once) and without one common villain, at least so far. Raylan is really floundering and kind of directionless. His road trip adventures to catch up to the woman who stole money from him and her cockfighting-wannabe-ex-fist-fighting husband was a joy of laconic wit and the final showdown with beanbag bullets had great timing.

I do wish the church tale had gone on longer. Perhaps it will be resurrected (pun intended) later in the season.

slqrick
01-30-2013, 03:51 PM
I really enjoy the way this show just does what it wants essentially, with each new season, without having to strictly adhere to the usual method of a protagonist dealing with a Big Bad over the course of a year. The Drew Thompson mystery is interesting, and I have a feeling it'll have a great payoff later on, but I like the fact that it doesn't have to be a part of every episode, or shoehorned into the last minute to remind viewers its there. I don't really care for Lindsey as a character, but the characters in that story (the boxers, the dude who owns the house, etc) have all been entertaining. Also nice to see them incorporating Rachel into Raylan's storylines.

ledfloyd
01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah, that was a fantastic episode. I'm just bowled over by how great this season has been, and how even after four seasons I have no idea where it's going.

Irish
01-30-2013, 11:16 PM
I really enjoy the way this show just does what it wants essentially, with each new season, without having to strictly adhere to the usual method of a protagonist dealing with a Big Bad over the course of a year.

^ This.

I find it really interesting that show is moving away from Raylan as protagonist and toward being more of an ensemble, what with all the divergent storylines.

This past episode was excellent. I liked how they developed the bartender character, carrying her over from previous seasons.

Favorite line:

Any fool that didn't see that grifter Barbie coming a mile off deserves getting his ass fleeced.

The expression on Raylan's face and the way he segues past that line is priceless.

transmogrifier
02-02-2013, 02:11 PM
I do wish the church tale had gone on longer. Perhaps it will be resurrected (pun intended) later in the season.

I'm guessing the sister will definitely play more of a role, perhaps with Ellen May (a great example of a colourful supporting character given more depth over time - now if they can only do the same for Rachel and Tim).

The last episode was perhaps my least favourite of the season so far, if only because I was hoping that the bartender/boxer storyline had something more meaty behind it, especially as the boxer may have been a good foil for Raylan. And the very final scene at the gas station was unusually clumsy and poorly shot.

Still, very much enjoying the season so far. This and Breaking Bad remain the only two currently airing dramas that I find myself looking forward to. Homeland went to shit, and Treme is more of an old friend that you drop in on from time to time.

Thirdmango
02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
As I was watching the latest episode I was a little confused because I had somehow thought the waitress was pregnant with Raylan's child. I feel like they said something like that in the first two episodes... But now I don't think that is the case.

Henry Gale
02-06-2013, 01:35 AM
We're all aware of this, right?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-t6dQyf311Jc/T2KymcR2xII/AAAAAAAAAiA/EL6dj7WtCn4/s1600/joe-mazzello-jurassic-park1.png ---> http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130109082156/justified/images/e/e6/Billy_St._Cyr_infobox.png

ledfloyd
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Quite the parade of guest stars last night. It was fun seeing Gerald McRaney pop up, if ever there was an actor made for Justified.

Raiders
02-06-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm unsure of last night's episode. It was among the most purely enjoyable and witty episodes for sure (Boyd and Raylan together is always choice) but it threw an awful lot at the wall all at once and less than a day removed, some of it hasn't stuck.

ledfloyd
02-06-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm unsure of last night's episode. It was among the most purely enjoyable and witty episodes for sure (Boyd and Raylan together is always choice) but it threw an awful lot at the wall all at once and less than a day removed, some of it hasn't stuck.
I think it's an episode where the rest of the season will determine whether it was a good one or a bad one.

transmogrifier
02-06-2013, 11:56 PM

Nah, it was much better than the previous episode. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact they have lined up far too many threats to Boyd: Duffy/Johnny; Shelby/Ellen May; Cassie (maybe). You'd expect Boyd to keep on keeping on, so it will be a little repetitive to watch them all fail over the course of the season.

Irish
02-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Quite the parade of guest stars last night. It was fun seeing Gerald McRaney pop up, if ever there was an actor made for Justified.

Love him. Weird that he turned up in "House of Cards" in the same week.

Didn't like how the episode was structured though, because McRaney's character is initially presented as a one-off but given his presence, you know it won't be.

Biggest issue for me is that the entire trip to 'Hill People' country was more or less useless. They open up the door on this entirely weird subculture (of which Raylan is a part) but you're only allowed to peek through, and briefly.

Irish
02-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Also, floyd, your comment about an "actor made for Justified" made me think of Bill Paxton.

Now there's a guy I'd love to see on this show.

Raiders
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Ron Eldard has stepped it up big time. Great job by him in this episode. Also, as a Supernatural fan, more Jim Beaver is always a good thing.

Good, not great, episode. I could do without the crooked lawyer-turned-bumbling criminal and though I always have wished for more Tim in the show, this was not really the way I wanted to see it. Hoping that his running into Colton will pan out into something bigger.

Raylan's reaction to the attempt at torching him was hilarious.

Qrazy
02-27-2013, 06:28 AM
This show retcons so hard. So Arlo is completely sane and has a great memory now? Dafuq?

slqrick
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Damn, what an episode. Olyphant handled the whole Arlo situation incredibly.

amberlita
02-28-2013, 02:08 AM
Swear to god, at this point, I've completely forgotten why Drew Thompson is important.

Irish
02-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Swear to god, at this point, I've completely forgotten why Drew Thompson is important.

I like to think of this as the "Sean Regan" problem (from "The Big Sleep"). It gets increasingly confusing when principals continually refer to supporting characters by name when you don't ever see those people, or see them only intermittently.

I got a little lost in the weeds on "Justified." I can no longer really tell what the hell is going on, or why anybody cares. But I'm still digging the ambition they're going for, what with so many subplots.

Qrazy
02-28-2013, 02:30 AM
This show is terribly written. I watch for the scenery chewing alone.

ledfloyd
02-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Raylan cares because he thinks his dad is up to something, and it kills him to think the old man could get one over on him. Boyd cares because Theo Tonin wants him to care. Why Theo Tonin cares? Hard to say, but I imagine that will be touched upon in the future.

It's less confusing than what was going on last season anyway.

Irish
02-28-2013, 02:45 AM
This show is terribly written. I watch for the scenery chewing alone.

I'm watching for Boyd Crowder. I keep hoping the show slides toward making him the hero, of sorts. It's not really written that way at all, but that's the way I'm playing it in my head.

Raiders
02-28-2013, 02:51 AM
This show is terribly written.

No, it isn't. Not by a long shot. Also, seems pretty obvious that Arlo was back on his meds tha he stopped taking last year now that he is in a regulated prison.

transmogrifier
02-28-2013, 03:15 AM
The one thing I didn't like plot-wise of the last episode is Tonin jumping in bed with Boyd after Boyd has just blatantly lied to him and got one of his musclemen killed. That didn't make much sense to me.

Qrazy
02-28-2013, 03:28 AM
No, it isn't. Not by a long shot. Also, seems pretty obvious that Arlo was back on his meds tha he stopped taking last year now that he is in a regulated prison.

Nah, it's terrible. Full of retconning, arbitrary character motivations, major character reversals, completely implausible set-ups, etc. That kidney episode for instance was complete idiocy demonstrating that the writers possess seemingly no knowledge of basic medical science.

Arlo's symptoms last season are a) a huge stretch given his issues and his medication b) there was a reason he stopped taking his meds, do you remember what it was?

transmogrifier
02-28-2013, 03:32 AM
That kidney episode for instance was complete idiocy demonstrating that the writers possess seemingly no knowledge of basic medical science.

Huh? Dewey was duped. His kidneys weren't touched.

Qrazy
02-28-2013, 05:25 AM
Huh? Dewey was duped. His kidneys weren't touched.

Oh, I must have stopped watching the ep before that revelation.

Irish
02-28-2013, 05:34 AM
The only retconn the bugs me is around Boyd's cousin. The guy's gone from being wheelchair bound to walking around, occasionally, with a cane. Huh?

I'm surprised that they killed off Arlo. He was the best, and most consistent, source of antagonism that they had for Raylan.

Acapelli
02-28-2013, 06:14 AM
seems like qrazy is watching a different, worse show also called justified

[ETM]
02-28-2013, 06:37 AM
The only retconn the bugs me is around Boyd's cousin. The guy's gone from being wheelchair bound to walking around, occasionally, with a cane. Huh?

He was never wheelchair-bound, just really messed up from, you know, being shot in the gut with a shotgun. He mentioned a couple of episodes back that it causes him extreme pain to walk at all, but he does it to be taken more seriously or something.

transmogrifier
02-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Yeah, it's not unheard of for people to get in an accident and then, over time, recover bit by bit.

Llopin
02-28-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm enjoying this new season. It started a little off, chaotic, but it's become the most complex batch of episodes so far in the show, with multiple subplots, diverse character relationships and a confusing main storyline. Which, if plainly explained, is basically a sharp steeplechase between the "good guys" and the "bad guys", with Boyd and Raylan as standard-bearers (one as an ambitious mercenary, the other as a pride-guided man of law). The expectations they are building up for "Drew Thompson" are getting out of hand, though, we'll see how they resolve that.

And screenplay-wise I think they are getting more and more consistent, specially the latter part of the season.

Irish
02-28-2013, 09:22 AM
;468641']He was never wheelchair-bound, just really messed up from, you know, being shot in the gut with a shotgun. He mentioned a couple of episodes back that it causes him extreme pain to walk at all, but he does it to be taken more seriously or something.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Not sure what the show's timeline is, but in realtime he was in that chair for over 2 years. That makes it feel a little off if he suddenly gets up & starts walking around.

Sure, they explained it. But that explanation felt false to me, like they really just wanted to retcon the character a bit and make him more mobile. (I guess somebody realized the chair wouldn't fit into Winn Duffy's trailer).

Raiders
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Arlo's symptoms last season are a) a huge stretch given his issues and his medication b) there was a reason he stopped taking his meds, do you remember what it was?

Enlighten me.

Qrazy
02-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Enlighten me.

I don't remember, that's why I'm asking. I figured there was no explanation given as per the show's bad writing.

Qrazy
02-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Not sure what the show's timeline is, but in realtime he was in that chair for over 2 years. That makes it feel a little off if he suddenly gets up & starts walking around.

Sure, they explained it. But that explanation felt false to me, like they really just wanted to retcon the character a bit and make him more mobile. (I guess somebody realized the chair wouldn't fit into Winn Duffy's trailer).

Yeah exactly I mean that's the definition of retcon isn't it? There's some throw away line to justify something that doesn't really make sense? That's what I"m talking about about this show, there's a lot of that. Not saying they don't justify their absurd story shifts at all (after all the show is called Justified), just that the justifications are weak.

[ETM]
02-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Justifications are almost irrelevant. Nothing is as ridiculous than Boyd's journey in the show so far, and people are loving him.

Raiders
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't remember, that's why I'm asking. I figured there was no explanation given as per the show's bad writing.

He was challenged on it multiple times. He was defiant that he didn't need it, which goes with his stubbornness unbound from Helen's more pragmatic mind. There was even a scene where Boyd made him take it before a meeting or job (can't remember which).

I thought your post was insinuating there was more to it. I honestly don't see the bad writing, or at the very least any "retcon" job.

Qrazy
02-28-2013, 05:07 PM
;468707']Justifications are almost irrelevant. Nothing is as ridiculous than Boyd's journey in the show so far, and people are loving him.

It is completely ridiculous the only thing which makes it tolerable is Goggins has great presence.

Qrazy
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Does number8 watch this show? I'd like to hear his thoughts on the evil people sex party featured in this season.

Thirdmango
02-28-2013, 08:48 PM
The one thing I didn't like plot-wise of the last episode is Tonin jumping in bed with Boyd after Boyd has just blatantly lied to him and got one of his musclemen killed. That didn't make much sense to me.

It wasn't Tonin's muscle, it was Wynn Duffy's muscle. Boyd was showing Tonin how he duped Duffy and should be the main squeeze.

Thirdmango
02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
I am absolutely adoring this season, even if there is some retconed what not I don't really care because I love it too much.

transmogrifier
02-28-2013, 11:12 PM
It wasn't Tonin's muscle, it was Wynn Duffy's muscle. Boyd was showing Tonin how he duped Duffy and should be the main squeeze.

The killer came from Tonin; Duffy told Boyd an assassin was coming down, and the photo thing only makes sense if he is sending them to Tonin, because Tonin knows what Drew Thompson looks like and Duffy doesn't.

slqrick
03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
What did you guys think of last night's ep?

I had a feeling it would end up being Drew once it was established that it was someone in Harlan, but I'm not sure how I feel yet because it seems a bit shoehorned in.

I guess it doesn't bother me too much in the long run because I'm not as invested in the Drew Thompson stuff as everything else, but it feels kind of strange.

slqrick
03-20-2013, 03:19 PM
What an incredible episode. The "chasing the wagon" scene might be my favorite of the season yet.

transmogrifier
03-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Season has been great; the best thing is there is still two episodes left, and they could go anywhere.

Irish
03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Liked last week better than this week. This episode felt repetitive -- two opposing groups searching for a MacGuffinish character I didn't care about at all. Yawn.

The teaser bit at the end was just ... not so interesting.

transmogrifier
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Ellen May was the heart of the season. I assume she wasn't genre enough for you?

I think the teaser sets up an interesting potential change in the dynamic of the show; Raylan has been cruising along in his dickish good guy routine for all four seasons now, single-mindedly doing his thing and never really having a lot of shit stick to him. I hope that whatever they plan for the final episode, it sets up a following season where Raylan sweats a bit.

Raiders
03-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Renewed for Season 5 (http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/fxs-justified-renewed-for-season-5)

slqrick
03-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Liked last week better than this week. This episode felt repetitive -- two opposing groups searching for a MacGuffinish character I didn't care about at all. Yawn.

The teaser bit at the end was just ... not so interesting.

I didn't like it as much, but I thought it hit the right beats, and I always appreciate different story arcs coming together. Ellen May herself isn't that interesting to me, but she means a lot to a bunch of characters, and that added to the excitement. The pace was slower than last weeks, but I really loved some of the individual scenes, especially the Colt/Tim standoff.

The ending left me filled with dread, but unless I'm missing something is there something significant about what they delivered (I kept expecting a bomb to go off)? Other than the mob knows where Raylan lives, etc.

ledfloyd
03-28-2013, 07:20 PM
I really like the way they dealt with Drew Thompson. With the big bads of the last few seasons being taken out in elaborate gunfights, a low key, and happy considering the circumstances, ending to his story was pretty satisfying.

Raiders
03-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I really like the way they dealt with Drew Thompson. With the big bads of the last few seasons being taken out in elaborate gunfights, a low key, and happy considering the circumstances, ending to his story was pretty satisfying.

All they've really done is turn the "big bad" on its head this season, especially since Drew has turned out to be nothing more than a former bad guy and now a not-so-bad guy. If anything, it's now Mike O'Malley, but really, this season has been much different in structure. Much more about personal stories, with Arlo and Raylan, Raylan's scattered and empty personal life, Ellen May as the unlikely "heart" of the season (to steal from trans). The last one in particular is one that is hard to define, and I can see why Irish would cast her off as a useless MacGuffin, but I think there is a lot of intangible grace the show utilized in keeping her on the fringe but inspiring so much of the drama, all the while she is spurned from one place to the next as an unwitting chess piece who winds up with a spiritual peace that is something so much more than all these other aimless, petty, and godless characters that the show has fun pitting against each other can ever manage.

Qrazy
03-30-2013, 08:46 PM
I love how this entire season is predicated on... 'Couldn't throw out my ID, someone would have found it.' Ever hear of a pair of scissors dumbass?

Derek
03-31-2013, 02:24 AM
I love how this entire season is predicated on... 'Couldn't throw out my ID, someone would have found it.' Ever hear of a pair of scissors dumbass?

You just got RETCONNED!

Winston*
04-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Some great scenes in the season finale. Glad they've contrived another reason to bring Wynn Duffy back for the finale.

What ever happened to the Sex and the City guy that hated Kentucky? I loved that guy.

slqrick
04-03-2013, 10:07 PM
I think the finale cemented this as my favorite season. Mags and the intimacy of the season two arc was tremendous and hard to top, but I think the way this season was able to deliver on nearly all of its ambitious goals puts it over the top. Loved the way Drew Thompson's mystery tied into the Givens/Crowder origin story, and even how things with Cassie came back around. Just an incredible season all around. The opening 3 minutes and Raylan's scene with Augustine were just masterfully executed.

Thirdmango
04-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Wow, superb finale. Couldn't watch it until now because end of semester insanity, but it was well worth the wait. Amazing stuff.

Morris Schæffer
09-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Oh Raylan, being shaken up when you find out your old man has been stabbed in prison.

I knew that was coming, his reaction I mean. Anyhow, only three episodes to go. 8-10 were really quite something. Art nearly destroying the office was gold! Not sure about the return of Limehouse, felt shoehorned in, fan service of some kind. The show also makes the cardinal sin of having peripheral characters blabbing on about stuff that seems irrelevant mumbo jumbo, only to be interrupted by a curt "hold on a minute. What did you just say?" from Raylan, minutes later from Boyd in a different scene.

That said, kiss...my...ass!

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Officer Bob is one of the greatest of all cops. Another great season. Tense, moving, cool, funny and it's all effortless, seamless (mostly). Not quite sure how Raylan managed to get Sammy Tonin on his side so quickly, especially since both are likely to square off next season. I suppose Sammy felt Raylan needed a reprieve since he tipped him off about the fact that Augustine wanted to kill Sammy. But since Augustine told Raylan this in the limo on the tarmac for the 1st time, it sure feels a tad too neatly resolved.

Raylan: "What are you gonna do with her?"
Augustine: "We're gonna take her to Six Flaggs."

:D