PDA

View Full Version : Downton Abbey (Season 3)

dreamdead
01-28-2013, 04:09 PM
So, this is the season where Lord Grantham reveals himself to be a bullish oaf, eh? Sad, sad stuff with Sybil, but I was left wondering about so many of the character dynamics there. Mary and Edith still have "issues"? Really, because Fellowes hasn't shown any of it really at any point since season 1. There's so little growth in the characters to me--part of that's the growing familiarity with the characters, but Fellowes doesn't seem to have as much inspiration here.

At least Mary and Lord Grantham's headstrong nature is returning, even if it's to the detriment of their happiness.

Meantime, I just read a spoiler about the Christmas episode (link here (http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/downton-abbey-season-3-deaths-15029425)). That's... an interesting development. It'll be curious to see what Season 4 does with it. As it stands, I want to know that Fellowes has a clear endpoint in mind.

Hugh_Grant
01-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Last night's episode broke my heart, even though I had already been spoiled. *sniff*

Mara
01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Last night's episode broke my heart, even though I had already been spoiled. *sniff*

I hadn't been, and I was deeply shocked when I saw it.

Lucky
01-28-2013, 11:24 PM
That was quite a traumatic scene. And boy, did that end with a venomous bite.

Mara
01-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Did my first moderatery-thing and moved the last few posts to this thread, as I think the thread in the main television discussion will be for people catching up on the show, etc. (As I understand the new set-up.)

Lucky
02-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Is there an inside joke I'm not getting or is that an error under the description for the subforum? It glares at me every time I click it.

EyesWideOpen
02-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Just finished season 3.

It's too bad about Matthew he was my favorite male character especially since he was only killed because the actor didn't want to do the show anymore and not because the creators had it in mind for the story. But besides that I loved this season. My favorite of the three.

dreamdead
02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Is there an inside joke I'm not getting or is that an error under the description for the subforum? It glares at me every time I click it.

I think it's just that Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey receive ample attention, and that that's likely what the subforum will verify.

This past episode (number 5) serves as a reminder about how little I care about the Anna/Bates jail sequences. Had they been wrapped up in Season 2 it would have been manageable, but even though the spread-out over more than a season helps legitimate the duration, it also reveals how monotonous this storyline has been for the show and these characters in particular.

In the meantime, I find the Dowager's essential asking the doctor to lie about Sybil's chances of survival fascinating. Unfortunately, I worry that Fellowes is going to abandon the ramifications of such coverage--that the plot of the Crawleys' bickering will be shorn of any lasting edge. I don't even know how I feel the Dowager's plea in an environment today, which suggests kudos are in store for Fellowes to add dimensionality and shading to her character. I fear, though, that this resolution will be just that, a resolution. And I want follow-ups with Dr. Clarkson this season and next.

Exciting to see the progression of sympathy toward Ethel from the women. I'm hoping the series keeps highlighting these cultural distinctions...

Lucky
02-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I think it's just that Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey receive ample attention, and that that's likely what the subforum will verify.

Was referring to the "Downtown."