PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons

Gizmo
11-02-2007, 08:34 PM
because every tv forum should include this, if only for prosperity sake.

MadMan
11-02-2007, 08:37 PM
It has to be the only show I love that is still on the air yet I refuse to watch new episodes of it. I saw the 400th episode and while it was funny in some parts it showed that the show is a pale shadow of its former greatness. I do want to see the movie though.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2007, 08:38 PM
And yet the movie was consistently funny. It makes you wonder if they just don't care as much anymore.

Rowland
11-02-2007, 09:12 PM
And yet the movie was consistently funny. Too bad the movie still isn't as funny or genuinely charming as the top 100 episodes (by my scientific estimation).

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Too bad the movie still isn't as funny or genuinely charming as the top 100 episodes (by my scientific estimation).

That's probably true, but it was still very entertaining, something the last 8 years of Simpsons episodes couldn't even pull off.

Eleven
11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I haven't watched a whole episode in maybe a year or so, and last week I randomly decide to flip on one of the reruns. It was "Last Exit to Springfield." Damn if I didn't fall in love all over again.

Gizmo
11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I haven't even watched a new episode in a couple years... well one here and there, but nothing consistant. The movie was very good, though, so they've still got it, maybe they just need more than 20 minutes to work with. we need a shrugging smiley.

Mysterious Dude
11-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I used to watch reruns of this show constantly. When it became terrible, I had to force myself to stop watching it, it was such a habit.

number8
11-03-2007, 12:19 AM
And yet the movie was consistently funny. It makes you wonder if they just don't care as much anymore.

Well they brought back the show's best writers for the movie (save for Conan and that bitter dude who left). I suppose it's just a simple case of the current writers being unfunny.

Rowland
11-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Well they brought back the show's best writers for the movie (save for Conan and that bitter dude who left). I suppose it's just a simple case of the current writers being unfunny.Some of the show's best writers have written terrible episodes over the last decade. I'd say it's simply a matter of diminishing inspiration.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Some of the show's best writers have written terrible episodes over the last decade. I'd say it's simply a matter of diminishing inspiration.

I'm in total agreement. It seems they were inspired by the chance to finally make a movie, and in turn it was far above any of their recent output in terms of quality. With the show, it's like they know that kids will tune in no matter what they do, so all they do is brainstorm jokes for Homer and then build an episode around it.

MadMan
11-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm in total agreement. It seems they were inspired by the chance to finally make a movie, and in turn it was far above any of their recent output in terms of quality. With the show, it's like they know that kids will tune in no matter what they do, so all they do is brainstorm jokes for Homer and then build an episode around it.Another reason why comedy shows should not last longer thean 10 seasons. Hell I think most shows should last that long at the very most. I would have been actually happy if they had ended 24 after Season 4, I'm glad that they're ending Lost after Season 5 (I think), and I approve of The Sopranos ending after Season 6. There are some expections though of course.

kamran
11-06-2007, 07:58 PM
The latest "Treehouse of Horror" episode wasn't half-bad; it wasn't really horror-themed at all (a Mr. and Mrs. Smith parody?... now?) but had some decent moments.

number8
11-06-2007, 11:38 PM
I always find it amusing how shows like Family Guy and Simpsons try to do current events and the latest pop culture jabs, but because of the animation process they're about a year behind. South Park really ruined it for everybody.

But man, it wasn't funny at all except for the Marge opening. The ET parody was uber lame, and they totally fucked up the last segment. A Hell House parody with Flanders could be some truly inspiring stuff, but it had no bite whatsoever. It's like they don't even know what satire is anymore.

Henry Gale
11-20-2007, 05:52 AM
Last night's was a great example of what's wrong with the new episodes and how so many of them end up structurally. They usually start off fairly enjoyable with a pretty good story set up, they then have a few inspired but random gags and find a way of bringing in a few celebrity voices too. But then something seemingly insignificant happens and that ends up spinning the episode into a whole new (and worse) direction with only a couple more inspired moments after that. Then it later on ends abruptly with a call back joke or two to the first 5 minutes of the episode and then the credits roll.

I've seen this happen too many times in recent seasons. They should have just seen if Jack Black or Alan Moore wanted to write the episode themselves rather than just have them come in for an hour to do voice work. They probably know the better than the current writers what used to make the show great.

ledfloyd
11-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Another reason why comedy shows should not last longer thean 10 seasons. Hell I think most shows should last that long at the very most. I would have been actually happy if they had ended 24 after Season 4, I'm glad that they're ending Lost after Season 5 (I think), and I approve of The Sopranos ending after Season 6. There are some expections though of course.

good call, if simpsons had ended after season 10 it would've been the best show in the history of existence.

number8
11-23-2007, 08:20 PM
You know, what the fuck? They had a great set up with the comic book store guy losing his store to Jack Black's cooler store, and then they did absolutely nothing and abruptly switched storyline with a retarded Homer gets plastic surgery plot.

This show is so fucking stupid it doesn't even know when it has a good idea anymore.

Henry Gale
11-24-2007, 06:26 AM
You know, what the fuck? They had a great set up with the comic book store guy losing his store to Jack Black's cooler store, and then they did absolutely nothing and abruptly switched storyline with a retarded Homer gets plastic surgery plot.

This show is so fucking stupid it doesn't even know when it has a good idea anymore.

It's like they entirely wung it or something and at the end they went "Oh jeez, we had like a comic store thing at the beginning right? Well... let's put the graphic novel guys in there again. Awesome!"

Started off solid, then became a second rate rehash of an 8-year-old Family Guy episode. It's like the two shows' roles have reversed! :eek:

lovejuice
12-01-2007, 06:00 AM
i want a recommendation. which season is the definitive best ever?

Watashi
12-01-2007, 06:33 PM

lovejuice
12-20-2007, 03:23 PM

that is wonderful!
so, what's the second best?

transmogrifier
12-20-2007, 09:50 PM

Take two dice.
Roll them

If you get snake eyes, roll again.
If you get 9 or more, roll again.

Otherwise, you're golden.

Watashi
12-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Take two dice.
Roll them

If you get snake eyes, roll again.
If you get 9 or more, roll again.

Otherwise, you're golden.
Season 2 is one of the best seasons, you dolt.

Kurosawa Fan
12-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Season 2 is one of the best seasons, you dolt.

Nope. His method is sound.

Watashi
12-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Nope. His method is sound.

Any season that has the following:

Simpson and Delilah
Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
The Way We Was
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Brush with Greatness
Lisa's Substitute (which is Top 3 material)
Three Men and a Comic Book

Is not a season to be skipped on. The rest of the episodes are good to great also, but the ones above are 4 star episodes.

transmogrifier
12-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Any season that has the following:

Simpson and Delilah
Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
The Way We Was
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Brush with Greatness
Lisa's Substitute (which is Top 3 material)
Three Men and a Comic Book

Is not a season to be skipped on. The rest of the episodes are good to great also, but the ones above are 4 star episodes.

I'm not a big fan of many of those episodes. I find that the first two seasons are full of basically MOR sitcom episodes that happen to be animated. It wasn't until the third that the writers really began to establish The Simpsons as its own thing.

MadMan
12-21-2007, 05:11 AM
Well its clear that the movie was better than the past 10 years of the show. How depressing. But hey at least the film adaption was really funny and awesome.

jenniferofthejungle
01-01-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm enjoying this show. We started watching season 3 today (I have only seen a few of the first season and none of the second) but I loved the first two discs of season three.

megladon8
01-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Yep, watching season 3 with Jen was a lovely, nostalgic experience.

All those old episode that I watched over and over and over as a kid. I still know a lot of the lines.

And Matt Groening's little written blurb inside the packaging of each season is great.

He says "Season 3 makes season 2 look like season 1" :)

Rowland
01-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Season 3 is the shit. Makes the movie look like garbage.

transmogrifier
01-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I saw an episode from the latest season, and there was one excellent, excellent scene that showed Homer growing up in a time lapse sequence. It was, dare I say it, quite emotional and well-played. The rest of the episode was kind of meh, though.

megladon8
01-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeh, I've always found The Simpsons could do a good job of making things emotional without being hoaky.

Same with Futurama - "Jurassic Bark" still makes me cry, and I've seen it like 4 times.

number8
01-02-2008, 05:15 AM
I saw an episode from the latest season, and there was one excellent, excellent scene that showed Homer growing up in a time lapse sequence. It was, dare I say it, quite emotional and well-played. The rest of the episode was kind of meh, though.

Was it the parody of this video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=6B26asyGKDo)?

transmogrifier
01-02-2008, 06:04 AM
Was it the parody of this video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=6B26asyGKDo)?

Yep. I think the spell is ruined in The Simpsons with the addition of the animated YouTube "Play this again" screenshot at the end, actually. Without it, it's kinda poignant.

number8
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.airdave.it/maniaco-dei-simpsons-la-casa-dei-simpsons-nel-mondo-realesimpsons-maniac-the-simpsons-house-in-the-real-world-516/lang/en/

Dead & Messed Up
01-11-2008, 11:57 PM
One day last week, work was slow, so we flipped on the TV in time to watch the second half of "Cape Feare." I pretty much laughed from beginning to end (the elephant march damn near made me cry).

I don't think it's necessarily a shift in the types of jokes that's made the new seasons so much worse, since a lot of the jokes in that episode alternate between broad physical humor and random moments (Homer barging in with a chainsaw and mask). It's just that they're done so much better. The episode really feels effortless.

lovejuice
03-09-2009, 01:43 AM
i caught this simpsons episode starring michael jackson (john jay smith). it was before the time i came to the states. and i wonder, how wonderful it might have been to live in that period (1991?). when everything looks so innocent, and celebrities are there to be loved and inspire us. and mj was well, relatively sane. :cry:

Mysterious Dude
03-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Recently, I read Bill Waterson's intro to the latest Calvin and Hobbes anthology, and he writes about why he decided to end it after ten years. Other comic strips have been around for decades and Waterson certainly could have continued doing Calvin and Hobbes, considering its popularity, but strips that last that long pretty much universally end up becoming stale, repetitive and unfunny. While we all miss Calvin and Hobbes, I think we can be grateful that it didn't have any bad years. Matt Groening should take a hint.

Thirdmango
03-09-2009, 04:00 AM
Though I agree that The Simpsons should have ended a long time ago, at this point however since it has gone on this long I think it's already passed the decent end. At this point I'd keep it on as long as possible and give it to people who can take it and try to make it funny. Having someone like Bill Odenkirk over it is a good move right now because then The Simpsons can become one of those stepping blocks for people trying to get into the industry and try different things.

number8
03-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Though I agree that The Simpsons should have ended a long time ago, at this point however since it has gone on this long I think it's already passed the decent end. At this point I'd keep it on as long as possible and give it to people who can take it and try to make it funny. Having someone like Bill Odenkirk over it is a good move right now because then The Simpsons can become one of those stepping blocks for people trying to get into the industry and try different things.

Yeah, Simpsons is the animated SNL. It's not gonna go away, it's just going to go through cycles and you're just going to see ups and downs. It'll be more interesting to stop looking at it as a continuous show and more like a generational thing.

Winston*
02-09-2010, 04:56 AM
What the fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnUKurl7Fog

Derek
02-09-2010, 04:59 AM
What the fuck.

"As Mr. Burns faces the loss of his fortune and worldly belongings, he learns to appreciate lifes simple pleasures like friends and family."

Seriously, what the fuck?

ledfloyd
02-09-2010, 09:00 AM
hahaha. yeah, that made me embarassed to be a simpsons fan. aside from burns selling smithers and millhouse saying 'sorry coke' it was awful.

number8
02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Matt Groening has become what he hated most.

MadMan
02-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Right now I'm trying to work though Season 4. My friend owns many of the seasons out on DVD-I think he has up to Season 8 or 10, I don't really remember. Its interesting to watch the older episodes and marvel at how fresh and original the writing and the jokes truly were back then.

Henry Gale
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Even though the show is almost always a waste to watch now, there was one I did see recently ("Million Dollar Maybe") that wasn't half bad. The story was pretty standard, and it didn't change up the sort of structure the show has settled into over the years, but it still almost had the feel of a classic episode. The laugh ratio was down a fair bit from that era, but Homer seems to actually have something of a brain again, there were a lot of memorable lines from side-characters, and the ending was very, very sweet.

It shows a lack of originality when this isn't even the first episode title in the last few years to play off of Million Dollar Baby, and if you see any of the alternate lines pitched at Chris Martin in his behind-the-scenes promo, all of the exchanged they didn't go with were shockingly funnier and may just show that something's wrong with the writing overall; but still, the episode held together better than anything I'd seen from them in years.

Edited: some of this didn't make no senses before.

Dukefrukem
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
What the fuck.

did no one watch this during the super bowl? I don't understand what the big deal is.

number8
02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Even though the show is almost always a waste to watch now, there was one I did see recently ("Million Dollar Maybe") that wasn't half bad. The story was pretty standard, and it didn't change up the sort of structure the show has settled into over the years, but it still almost felt like almost like a classic episode. The laugh ratio down a fair bit, but Homer seems to actually have something of a brain again, there were a lot of memorable lines from side-characters, and the ending was very, very sweet.

It shows a lack of originality when this isn't even the first episode in the last few years to play off of Million Dollar Baby, and if you see any of the alternate lines pitched at Chris Martin in his behind-the-scenes promo, all of the ones they didn't go with were shockingly funnier; but still, the episode held together better than anything I'd seen from them in years.

Hey, I liked that episode too. I completely agree. Not that funny, but a really classic Simpsons plot with a decent Homer/Marge "awww" ending.

megladon8
02-18-2010, 01:19 AM
I think season 8 may be my favorite season of any show ever.

Acapelli
02-18-2010, 01:27 AM
i'm going through season's 3-9

i'm halfway through season 3 and i'm surprised by how many of my favorite episodes i've seen already and this early

megladon8
02-18-2010, 01:37 AM
i'm going through season's 3-9

i'm halfway through season 3 and i'm surprised by how many of my favorite episodes i've seen already and this early

Pretty much all of seasons 3-10 are "my favorite episodes".

I don't know that there's one episode in the whole bunch that I dislike.

Spun Lepton
02-18-2010, 01:43 AM
The last Simpsons episode that I can say I loved was their trip to NYC, and that was despite the rest of the season, which I recall being the noticable beginning of the decline.

megladon8
02-18-2010, 01:54 AM
The last Simpsons episode that I can say I loved was their trip to NYC, and that was despite the rest of the season, which I recall being the noticable beginning of the decline.

That was the very last episode season 10.

I thought that season was still great. I am looking forward to picking up season 11 in a few weeks to see how that one is. I believe season 11 is when Maud Flanders dies.

Spun Lepton
02-18-2010, 02:03 AM

I thought that season was still great. I am looking forward to picking up season 11 in a few weeks to see how that one is. I believe season 11 is when Maud Flanders dies.

Somewhere during seasons 11 through 13, Apu had all those children -- and the show immediately dropped off my "must watch" list. That was their shark-jumping moment as far as I was concerned. Then there were a few seasons that were god-awful, then one season that was okay, then god-awful again, then the movie came out, then the show got *kinda* good again, but not good enough for me to start watching it regularly.

megladon8
02-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Season 10 features the awesome episode where Homer finds out what his middle initial "J" stands for - JAY!!

And he becomes a hippie!

Glass Co.
02-18-2010, 02:10 AM

I think that you are thinking of the trip to Japan.

The NYC one was the first episode of season 9.

/Comic Book Guy

Dead & Messed Up
02-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Seasons 3 through 6 may be the best run of episodes in any series, ever.

I thought the shark-jumping moment was the Frank Grimes episode. Not that I disliked it. I thought it was brilliant. But it really broke the fourth wall by emphasizing how cartoonish its world was in the face of someone from our world. Before that, the show could still sell its emotion. After...it became more and more about the absurdity of its premises.

number8
02-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Frank Grimes! That shit was impeccable, son.

But yeah, should've closed it off there. Would've been perfect.

Winston*
02-18-2010, 07:33 AM
The Principal and the Pauper is the jump shark moment in season 9.

Watashi
02-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Which I actually like.

I loathe the Frank Grimes episode. For completely different reasons why I hate current episodes.

Ezee E
02-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Which I actually like.

I loathe the Frank Grimes episode. For completely different reasons why I hate current episodes.
Do tell.

I remember you saying it's probably the most loved/hated episode of the series. I love it.

megladon8
02-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I think that you are thinking of the trip to Japan.

The NYC one was the first episode of season 9.

/Comic Book Guy

Yes, you are very right.

Watashi
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Do tell.

I remember you saying it's probably the most loved/hated episode of the series. I love it.
It's a clever plot, but ultimately I can't laugh at the cruelty onscreen because the Homer in this episode in a completely different character from the Homer before. I wouldn't mind the episode so much if Frank just went insane and ran away, but to kill him off without any weight outside of the show's cartoonish reality upsetted me. It's stupidity for the sake of cruelty.

megladon8
02-19-2010, 01:35 AM
I didn't think Homer was cruel. He was his typical oblivious, idiotic self. He wanted to be friends with Frank Grimes, but everything kept getting more and more f'ed up for Grimes. It was Homer's fault, yes, but so is just about everything that goes wrong in the show. And again, he didn't screw things up intentionally.

number8
02-19-2010, 01:43 AM
I didn't think Homer was cruel. He was his typical oblivious, idiotic self. He wanted to be friends with Frank Grimes, but everything kept getting more and more f'ed up for Grimes. It was Homer's fault, yes, but so is just about everything that goes wrong in the show. And again, he didn't screw things up intentionally.

I think Wats is saying that the episode is cruel, not Homer.

megladon8
02-19-2010, 01:56 AM
I think Wats is saying that the episode is cruel, not Homer.

I thought this sentence...

...ultimately I can't laugh at the cruelty onscreen because the Homer in this episode in a completely different character from the Homer before.

...was indicating he thought Homer was being cruel.

And yes, the episode is cruel. But it's also quite apt - there are tons of people out there with more money than we'll ever see in our lifetime and they don't deserve it at all. And there are just as many people who work hard every day and never get anything.

Hell, I feel like this sometimes. The two guys I work for have their own places, wives/girlfriends, and are doin' just dandy financially even though they work like 4 hours a day, while I'm barely making minimum wage and I do all the work.

Dead & Messed Up
02-19-2010, 07:48 AM
It's a clever plot, but ultimately I can't laugh at the cruelty onscreen because the Homer in this episode in a completely different character from the Homer before. I wouldn't mind the episode so much if Frank just went insane and ran away, but to kill him off without any weight outside of the show's cartoonish reality upsetted me. It's stupidity for the sake of cruelty.

I actually think the writers are looking objectively at Homer's situation as much as Grimes is. So when Homer responds to Grimes' stunned discovery that he was an astronaut with, "Yeah...you never been?" we're actually on Grimes's side, not Homer's. The story becomes progressively about how impossible Homer's life is, how dangerous it is, how little he truly understands. As I said, it's enormous fourth-wall-breakery: for the first time, we're completely on the outside, looking in, with a real-world character as our surrogate.

I adore it because I'm a sucker for such a conceptually bold idea. I just think it shoulda stopped there. Because how do you regain a show's reality after you've spent twenty-three minutes exposing, brick by brick, its complete surreality? I mean, you can't. Certainly not for the people who watched it for the characters as much as the whimsy and humor.

And "The Principal and the Pauper" is awful, awful, awful. I remember being stunned by how bad it was. Just taken aback.

megladon8
02-20-2010, 03:39 AM
"The Principal and the Pauper" is certainly not a shining moment for the show, but I can't say I hate it nearly as much as others seem to.

"Lisa the Skeptic" was just a few episodes later, and that one was fantastic and hilariously twisted.

megladon8
07-13-2010, 07:24 PM
My mom bought me season 11 when she saw it on sale yesterday. I was so excited because I haven't been able to find it at a decent price, and there were several episodes I remember liking when they first aired (and I was 12).

But man...this season is...kind of...terrible...

What a letdown.

The "Treehouse of Horror" episode alone is painful to watch. What a mess.

MadMan
07-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Last night I continued my way through Season 4, which is simply fantastic. Hell even the Lisa episodes are great, and I find her to be the weakest character of the bunch. The last one I viewed was "Lisa's First Word"-I can't wait to get to "Marge v. the Monarail." Oh and "Mr. Plow" is hands down one of the greatest episodes in the show's history.

MadMan
07-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Season 4 was utterly amazing. Season 5 was also great, although it had one merely good episode (the one where Bart becomes the "I didn't do it" kid). Regardless, a truly stunning two year run of brilliance. Too many great episodes to count, and many favorites.

Dukefrukem
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Season 4 was utterly amazing. Season 5 was also great, although it had one merely good episode (the one where Bart becomes the "I didn't do it" kid). Regardless, a truly stunning two year run of brilliance. Too many great episodes to count, and many favorites.

That was the season that Conan OBrien was part of the writing team. Some of my favorite episodes ever were written by him.

"Marge vs. the Monorail" one of my faves along with "Wacking Day"

Treehouse of Horror IV is also amazingly good and one of the best.

Watashi
10-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Bansky storyboarded the couch gag for yesterday's Simpsons.

It's probably the most noteworthy thing The Simpsons has done in 15 years.

DX1iplQQJTo&sns=em

number8
10-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Apparently some things from his original storyboard were cut by Standards and Practices. The producers said they agreed to cut them because they're kind of tasteless and even sadder.

Ezee E
10-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Apparently some things from his original storyboard were cut by Standards and Practices. The producers said they agreed to cut them because they're kind of tasteless and even sadder.
Had to have been in the supermarket since that part is gone.

Winston*
10-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Wonder how the South Koreans felt animating that.

number8
10-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Wonder how the South Koreans felt animating that.

Especially since this is the second time. They already did this joke before in one of the early seasons.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lxap4y0S1as/S6Cy_t2nIrI/AAAAAAAAFyY/54TMXEG1lVI/s1600/bi97ab.jpg

In the DVD commentary, they talked about how it really offended the Korean animators and they almost refused to do it.

But, you know, that's like 15 years ago or something.

Acapelli
10-11-2010, 08:17 PM
long couch gags are really the worst part of recent simpsons

Watashi
10-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Really? The worst part?

Acapelli
10-12-2010, 01:04 AM
can't think of a single one i liked

Henry Gale
10-12-2010, 02:33 AM
"Holy shit." was about all I could say after seeing it.

Did Banksy step in just to do this, or is there more to it that I don't know about? I assume the people at the show would have be big fans of his to bring him in in the first place, but it just seems like he got to do whatever, no questions asked. It's just such a bizarre thing to have as anything officially put out by the show (especially these days), nevermind having it as the opening credits.

number8
10-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Basically, Al Jean saw Exit Through the Gift Shop and contacted the producers of the film to ask if Banksy would like to direct a couch gag for them. Some time later, the producers sent them a bunch of storyboards supposedly from Banksy. Jean liked it but was a little apprehensive at first, so he showed them to Matt Groening, who basically said let's do it exactly as he wants it. They submitted it to standards, who objected to a couple of things, and Groening agreed to cut those things out, but Jean said they ended up animating about 95% of what Banksy storyboarded. The people at FOX didn't really care (which is not surprising, they usually let the Simpsons guys do whatever they want and mock the network however they want).

Henry Gale
10-12-2010, 03:27 AM
Basically, Al Jean saw Exit Through the Gift Shop and contacted the producers of the film to ask if Banksy would like to direct a couch gag for them. Some time later, the producers sent them a bunch of storyboards supposedly from Banksy. Jean liked it but was a little apprehensive at first, so he showed them to Matt Groening, who basically said let's do it exactly as he wants it. They submitted it to standards, who objected to a couple of things, and Groening agreed to cut those things out, but Jean said they ended up animating about 95% of what Banksy storyboarded. The people at FOX didn't really care (which is not surprising, they usually let the Simpsons guys do whatever they want and mock the network however they want).

I see. I mean, it's more or less what I figured the events would have been, but still interesting to hear. But even considering Fox's good humour in the past all the way up until now, you'd think they (or any company for that matter) would be against broadcasting an image of themselves, logo included, as a giant sweatshop prison with all sorts of cruelty and exploitation strung together for the product you're watching concurrently. Especially with it being something that's not really meant to incite a big laugh with any sort of comedic payoff. Of course, it being Banksy, I wouldn't have really expected that kind of tone either.

I didn't see the episode itself, but it also seems like the kind of thing that would kill the mood for any of the material after it for at least a good chunk of its opening. Almost like how some studios believe you can't get a laugh for five minutes after talking about cancer in a comedy.

It's just amazing that it exists at all.

number8
10-12-2010, 03:37 AM
They'd probably take more issue with it if it was closer to the truth (like say if it showed happy Koreans getting relatively small pay while American animators are unemployed), but seeing how the show is done on computers by a professional animation studio, they probably banked on people knowing it's not even an exaggeration, but complete fabrication.

Spinal
10-12-2010, 04:46 AM
They'd probably take more issue with it if it was closer to the truth (like say if it showed happy Koreans getting relatively small pay while American animators are unemployed), but seeing how the show is done on computers by a professional animation studio, they probably banked on people knowing it's not even an exaggeration, but complete fabrication.

You mean there's no DVD-hole punching unicorn? :sad:

Dukefrukem
10-12-2010, 12:03 PM

As a long time fan, I couldn't disagree more.

number8
10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
You mean there's no DVD-hole punching unicorn? :sad:

Actually, the inclusion of tortured pandas and murdered dolphins led me to believe that Banksy is actually mocking the ignorant activism of the West. Which means he's probably amused and delighted by the reaction to the gag playing right into his hands.

Acapelli
10-12-2010, 03:08 PM
As a long time fan, I couldn't disagree more.
couch gags really shouldn't be longer than a few seconds, then they just become tedious

Spinal
10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I have no idea how one could describe that Banksy sequence as tedious.

Acapelli
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I have no idea how one could describe that Banksy sequence as tedious.
i'm mainly referring to pretty much every other extended couch gag of the last 10 or so years

banksy one was pretty funny and had some decent sight gags. i'm not in love with it, but it's one of the better ones i've seen in years

Dead & Messed Up
10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Actually, the inclusion of tortured pandas and murdered dolphins led me to believe that Banksy is actually mocking the ignorant activism of the West. Which means he's probably amused and delighted by the reaction to the gag playing right into his hands.

Double-satire? I have enough trouble keeping up with one level.

Spinal
10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
i'm mainly referring to pretty much every other extended couch gag of the last 10 or so years

banksy one was pretty funny and had some decent sight gags. i'm not in love with it, but it's one of the better ones i've seen in years

It's probably more successful as a Banksy piece than it is as an element of the Simpsons. Banksy definitely has a sense of humor, but it's not really the kind of humor that makes you laugh out loud. It's more about co-opting other people's territory to his own ends. It's about finding the cracks in what we perceive as reality and opening up new possibilities. On that level, I think it succeeds.

Winston*
10-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Banksy definitely has a sense of humor, but it's not really the kind of humor that makes you laugh out loud.

Exit Through the Gift Shop was pretty laugh out loud.

Spinal
10-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Exit Through the Gift Shop was pretty laugh out loud.

Oh, totally. But not because of the artwork.

Acapelli
10-13-2010, 06:07 PM
i always thought banksy's work was funny. seems like he's usually just taking the piss with his work

megladon8
11-08-2010, 12:32 AM
That Halloween episode was a fucking travesty.

2/3 of them weren't even spoofs of horror movies. What the fuck?

MadMan
11-08-2010, 07:13 AM
I just finished the first disc of Season 7 as I continue my exploration of the show's earlier years. Seasons 1 and 2 get A-'s, where as Season 3 is when the show becomes truly great. Season's 4-6 are comedy gold, with Season 4 being the best of the bunch. So far Season 7 is also pure awesome-I can't even decide which one on Disc 1 is the best episode out of the ones I've already seen. I wonder what will be the first season I view that I will actively dislike. Probably won't be happening for a long time. I have no idea how much further I plan to go, though as 22 years=shit ton of episodes.

Dukefrukem
11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeh was pretty bad last night. Family Guy and American Dad on the other hand were hilarious.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2010, 11:40 AM
That was a great episode last night. Loved Martha Stewart's appearance and ability to poke fun at herself.

Kurosawa Fan
12-06-2010, 02:31 PM
My wife and I watched it on a whim, and it was pretty decent. The middle bit with Lisa was kind of lame, but the first and last dreams had some solid laughs.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2010, 02:39 PM
My wife and I watched it on a whim, and it was pretty decent. The middle bit with Lisa was kind of lame, but the first and last dreams had some solid laughs.

Most lisa episodes are bad. But I liked the "treehouse of horror" style to this. It's not often they do a holiday episode without just repeating one of the previous ones.

Kurosawa Fan
12-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Most lisa episodes are bad. But I liked the "treehouse of horror" style to this. It's not often they do a holiday episode without just repeating one of the previous ones.

Agreed. I never would have watched it at all, but I left the TV on after the Colts/Cowboys game and it was just starting when I sat back down.

I need to make an addendum to my initial post though. The first and third skits were good. The Lisa was was dull as ever, and the Maggie one with the Muppets was fairly stiff, something I don't associate with the Muppets.

number8
12-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Most lisa episodes are bad.

Fixed that for you.

Thirdmango
12-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I watched two from this season today and they were both quite good. Surprising.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Fixed that for you.

People don't give the Simpsons credit lately; the episodes HAVE improved. Yes I agree episodes started to diminish around the 10th season and seemed to bottom out around season 15. But lately the episodes have been really good.

Thirdmango
12-06-2010, 09:20 PM
It really is the betrayal factor that has stopped people from watching it all out. I'll suggest an episode from season 21 and everyone I suggest it to will say, "It's not good cause it's not season 5, that's when I learned to love."

megladon8
12-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I must be watching the wrong episodes from this season, then.

The "Treehouse of Horror" this year was a fucking abomination. Quite possibly the worst one yet, and that's saying something. Why is it that they're not even spoofing horror movies anymore?

I've seen two episodes from this season ("Treehouse" included) and both were awful.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't think anyone was contesting that the Treehouse this year was stellar. Just talking about last night's episode.

megladon8
12-07-2010, 02:03 AM
I don't think anyone was contesting that the Treehouse this year was stellar. Just talking about last night's episode.

I know they weren't. It's just that I've been hearing a significant amount of praise for this season. A lot of people are saying it's a return to form for the show, almost nearing the quality of the classic seasons of the early '90s.

But I've seen two episodes and both of them were so horribly unfunny that they made "Family Guy" look good.

I'm hoping it's just that I happened to watch the two bad ones.

Thirdmango
12-07-2010, 03:34 AM
I watched the flight of the conchords episode which was okay and the other one I watched was episode five, it was pretty awesome.

Dukefrukem
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
1. This season has been good.

2. Family Guy is good.

megladon8
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Yuck..."Family Guy" is one of the worst things on TV. I don't know how it's survived for so long. It's just not funny.

Ezee E
12-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Yuck..."Family Guy" is one of the worst things on TV. I don't know how it's survived for so long. It's just not funny.
I love it and hate it. There's bits that I find hilarious, but I can't tell you one episode from the next.

Henry Gale
12-08-2010, 02:21 AM
I love it and hate it. There's bits that I find hilarious, but I can't tell you one episode from the next.

This is pretty much how I feel. There were probably seasons where I didn't like very much overall, and yet, it's just the little hysterical things that seem to keep me never really considering to give up on it.

Still, this season so far (aside from maybe the Halloween one) has been a chunk of episodes I've found to be a lot more consistent than most stretches it's had since its revival. My favourite in quite a while being hour-long Agatha Christie / Clue one.

Simpsons though, I've seen far less of this season. The Flight of the Conchords one was okay at best, which kind of sucked because of how much I'm used to loving Jemaine and Bret. I wish they'd had written the songs themselves, maybe not been just made to be their characters on the HBO show written by a different staff, and just generally had a better script all around. I did like that they were put to more use than the Glee cast, though.

Thirdmango
12-14-2010, 01:17 AM
So about a year ago I decided to watch every episode of The Simpsons and write a mini review of every episode. I obtained copies of all the episodes from a friend and got really quite far. I think I was all the way into the seventh season when my laptop was stolen and I lost the file I was writing the reviews in. Well I had deleted episodes I didn't really like so to do it again would mean starting over and finding all the episodes again. So I tend to have a show of which I can just mindlessly watch in marathon fashion while playing video games or going to bed and I just finished my third run through of news radio and thought, why not start where I left off on the simpsons thing.

So with all that said I finished season 9 today. There were some funny moments but this season definitely shows the start of the decline of the show. Also there was musical clip episode which I had to stop quickly cause clip shows are awful. This season I had watched most of so it was still in my memory but the decline is happening, I can feel it.

Thirdmango
01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Season 9 was more bad then good. But what was surprising was season 10 had a lot of really good episodes. I thought maybe that was the season everyone hated. But now I'm halfway through season 11 and it is the worst pile of drivel ever. Episode after episode of convoluted nonsense. I'm watching some horse episode now where the jockeys turn into elves and do a song number about really being elves. This season also had apu having 8 kids which was just awful. I think this is really the season that led to everyone hating the show. I know this is when I stopped watching it.

Kurosawa Fan
01-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I remember both of those episodes, so I must have still been watching. I don't remember much about either episode though.

The last season I own is season 8. Can't bring myself to buy any others.

Thirdmango
01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
That is also the last season I own, and I wouldn't recommend buying past it. I do recommend to people to buy up to that season because season 8 does have my second favorite episode ever with the Scorpio episode.

megladon8
01-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah, for me the golden years are seasons 2-7, but seasons 8-10 do still contain some gold.

Season 11 was a total nosedive in quality, and the saddest part is when season 12 and 13 roll around and you see that they actually managed to go down in quality from 11.

Winston*
01-13-2011, 01:41 AM
So this exists:

ZiYjr5MQl4s

Watashi
01-13-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm surprised it's taken this long.

number8
01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Despite porn titles being puns of movie titles being a longstanding staple of porn jokes, the direct parody genre is actually relatively new in porn, as they are quite expensive to make comparably. It's only bloomed in the last 5 years or so.

megladon8
01-14-2011, 02:40 AM
The only thing really new about that is that it's live action.

Simpsons porn has existed almost as long as "The Simpsons" has.

Rule 34, people.

Adam
01-14-2011, 07:27 PM
This middle school teacher (http://www.katu.com/news/weird/104900009.html) lost his job and is now facing up to 10 years in the clink for downloading pictures of Bart and Lisa fucking around

megladon8
01-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Lost his job and is going to jail for cartoon porn?

On his home computer?

That's fucked up.

megladon8
01-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Can anyone tell me exactly what episode had Homer and Marge slow-dancing to "Close to You" by The Carpenters?

It's like, THEIR song. It always has been. I know it was in one of the earlier seasons, but I just cannot pinpoint which episode.

Wasn't it the song they danced to at their wedding? Or was it the song they danced to at the prom? Or both?

I've Googled it, and all I can find is that, yes, it is "their love song", but I cannot find any reference to a specific episode.

Adam
01-21-2011, 02:58 AM
I don't remember them dancing to it, but wikipedia tells me the song was used in the second season show "The Way We Was," which I do remember as being one of my favorite episodes

megladon8
01-21-2011, 03:00 AM
I don't remember them dancing to it, but wikipedia tells me the song was used in the second season show "The Way We Was," which I do remember as being one of my favorite episodes

OK - was that the episode that began with the spoof of "The Wonder Years"?

I even Wikipedia'd the song, and it simply said "was Homer and Marge's love song on 'The Simpsons'".

Great detective work. Thank you!

number8
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BIFCQ.jpg

Adam
01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Albert Brooks is soooo much sexier than Vincent Cassel

MadMan
01-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Currently on Season 7, as I just finished the awesome "Two Bad Neighbors" episode where GHW Bush and Homer go at it. Love that Homer and Gerald Ford become best friends at the end.

As I continue to view old seasons, I wonder when I'll finally hit the one that makes me go "Damn this sucks." Probably will happen somewhere in the double digits.

Qrazy
01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Currently on Season 7, as I just finished the awesome "Two Bad Neighbors" episode where GHW Bush and Homer go at it. Love that Homer and Gerald Ford become best friends at the end.

As I continue to view old seasons, I wonder when I'll finally hit the one that makes me go "Damn this sucks." Probably will happen somewhere in the double digits.

The beginning of season 9 it starts going downhill. I'm not sure where it hits rock bottom, nor do I care to find out.

megladon8
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
The beginning of season 9 it starts going downhill. I'm not sure where it hits rock bottom, nor do I care to find out.

Season 9 is still good stuff, though, compared to just how terrible the series became later on.

For me, the real nosedive was season 11.

MadMan
01-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Well when I hit Season 9 I'll let you folks know what I think. I checked and I've already viewed most of (I think only two episodes have been left unseen) Season 8, and I find it to be brilliant and one of the best seasons in the show's history.

Thirdmango
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm currently doing exactly what you're doing Madman. Season 9 has some real stinkers. Season 10 has a slight raise in quality and then Season 11 has episode after episode of complete and total shit. I have four episodes left in season 11 and then I'm on to season 12.

Spun Lepton
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Which season is the one where Apu has all those children? That was the shark-jumping moment as far as I'm concerned.

megladon8
02-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Season 8 is golden.

Adam
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Almost didn't submit this post on account of nerd shame, but who am I trying to impress

Season 6, A
Season 2, A
Season 8, A (you're right, meg - Scorpio, Beer Baron, Frank Grimes, etc)
Season 7, A
Season 3, A
Season 5, A-
Season 4, B+
Season 9, B
Season 10, B
Season 12, B-
Season 1, B-
Season 11, C

Aaaannd I dropped off after that

megladon8
02-02-2011, 01:28 AM
In my very humble opinion, your rating for season 4 is too low ;)

But other than that, very good an accurate list.

Pretty much anything from season 2-8 is a guaranteed good time, with seasons 9 and 10 still being good but starting to drop, then a nosedive in season 11.

Thirdmango
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Which season is the one where Apu has all those children? That was the shark-jumping moment as far as I'm concerned.

Season 11. There are four or five episodes within that block which include the apu having babies episode that are just totally awful.

Glass Co.
02-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Season 8, A (you're right, meg - Scorpio, Beer Baron, Frank Grimes, etc)

No coincidence that those are all scripts by John Swartzwelder, I don't think.

Watashi
02-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Season 4 is the best season of the Simpsons.

megladon8
02-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Season 4 is the best season of the Simpsons.

Yep.

Best Treehouse of Horror episode, too.

Thirdmango
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I honestly didn't believe season 12 of The Simpsons could get any worse then season 11. I was wrong. Episode 8 "Skinner's sense of snow" is so far the worst episode of the series.

MadMan
02-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Season 8 does have my all time favorite episode: You Only Move Twice. Which was on earlier today, and made me smile. My favorite part is when Hank laughs in an evil manner as he's flame-throwering soldiers, with Homer walking sadly past him out through the secret door. And it makes fun of the Denver Broncos, too! ;)

Thirdmango
02-08-2011, 06:10 PM
The Simpsons are going to Africa! LOL.

Season 12 hasn't been as horrifyingly bad as season 11, however they have had episodes where you just scratch your head afterwards cause it's like they just plopped too much sour cream on your taco and didn't give you any meat. It's just confusing.

Dukefrukem
06-10-2011, 05:59 PM
xIpLd0WQKCY

MadMan
06-10-2011, 06:37 PM
My friend who owned all of the currently released seasons on DVD was robbed a while back, so I recently watched them at another friend's place since he also owns some of the DVDs. Right now I'm still on Season 7, and I just finished Homer The Smithers, which was pretty funny although not as great as the two episodes before it. So I believe I have 8 episodes left to go before I can move on to Season 8.

My ratings for the following seasons viewed all the way through (Season 8 is thrown in there even though I haven't seen a couple of episodes):

Season 1-A-
Season 2-A-
Season 3-A
Season 4-A+
Season 5-A
Season 6-A
Season 7 (so far)-A
Season 8-A+

number8
09-23-2011, 05:00 PM
http://dawolfey.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/dont-cry-for-me-im-already-dead-by-rebecca-sugar/

Acapelli
09-23-2011, 05:09 PM
is that the same rebecca sugar from adventure time?

number8
09-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Correct.

Dukefrukem
09-23-2011, 05:55 PM
My friend who owned all of the currently released seasons on DVD was robbed a while back, so I recently watched them at another friend's place since he also owns some of the DVDs. Right now I'm still on Season 7, and I just finished Homer The Smithers, which was pretty funny although not as great as the two episodes before it. So I believe I have 8 episodes left to go before I can move on to Season 8.

My ratings for the following seasons viewed all the way through (Season 8 is thrown in there even though I haven't seen a couple of episodes):

Season 1-A-
Season 2-A-
Season 3-A
Season 4-A+
Season 5-A
Season 6-A
Season 7 (so far)-A
Season 8-A+

The seasons are a blur to me. I only remember them by Treehouse of Horror episodes. My grades are:

Season I - D
Treehouse of Horror I - B+
Treehouse of Horror II - A-
Treehouse of Horror III - A+
Treehouse of Horror IV - A-
Treehouse of Horror V - A+++++++ "Wow! I'm the first NON-Brazilian to travel through time!"
Treehouse of Horror VI - A+ *Fires gun* "Those monsters aren't so tough" "Ah Chief that wasn't a monster that was the captain of the HS basketball team" "Yeh- Well- He was turning into a monster though"
Treehouse of Horror VII - A
Treehouse of Horror VIII - A- "You killed the zombie Flanders! He was a zombie?"
Treehouse of Horror IX - B+
Treehouse of Horror X - A-

megladon8
09-23-2011, 05:57 PM
"You killed the zombie Flanders!" is from Season 4, which would be the third Treehouse of Horror.

Dukefrukem
09-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeh you're right. How did I F@@k that up?

Edit: ohhhh "The HΩmega Man" is in VIII- Homer Surviving the Nuclear bomb.

Thirdmango
09-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I finished season 14 recently. Suddenly about halfway through season 14 the writers became incredibly politically liberal. The seasons are actually getting better as they go along. It's like they're slowly climbing their way out of the worst season ever. They're not going very fast but it's happening little by little.

megladon8
11-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Why don't they spoof horror movies anymore in the Halloween episodes?

It's not like there are no more to spoof.

Winston*
11-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I read they parodied The Diving Bell and the Butterfly in this latest one. That's so weird.

megladon8
11-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I read they parodied The Diving Bell and the Butterfly in this latest one. That's so weird.

Yeah, Homer gets bitten by a spider and wakes up paralyzed.

He can now only communicate through farting.

Then he becomes Spider-Man.

I wish I was joking.

Spinal
04-10-2012, 11:19 PM
'Simpsons' Springfield Location Revealed (http://tv.yahoo.com/news/-simpsons--springfield-location-revealed.html)

I always thought this was obvious since many of the character names come from streets in Portland. But apparently this is news.

MadMan
04-11-2012, 06:10 AM
'Simpsons' Springfield Location Revealed (http://tv.yahoo.com/news/-simpsons--springfield-location-revealed.html)

I always thought this was obvious since many of the character names come from streets in Portland. But apparently this is news.I'm not really surprised (isn't there a nuclear power plant near Portland?) yet its still cool to finally get a concrete answer.

Gizmo
04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
I liked that they never spelled it out and it seemed to vary location as needed by the story.

Dukefrukem
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I liked that they never spelled it out and it seemed to vary location as needed by the story.

I especially like the bit in the movie where they went to the part of Springfield that impossibly borders four states of Ohio, Nevada, Maine, and Kentucky.

number8
04-11-2012, 02:39 PM
But apparently this is news.

This is the only way The Simpsons can still make the news.

Robby P
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I would've preferred not knowing. It's bad enough this show has been a black hole of suck for the last fifteen years, now it has to ruin my childhood memories just to get some publicity?

MadMan
04-12-2012, 04:04 AM
Your childhood memories were already ruined, though :P

Thirdmango
06-06-2012, 04:05 PM

I always thought this was obvious since many of the character names come from streets in Portland. But apparently this is news.

So I just watched season 17 episode 11. This watch every episode thing is obviously taking a long while. But, in this episode Homer and Bart go to the airport to send Bart to Portland because he's going to go to some rehabilitation camp. Bart's on the no fly list so now he must be driven there and Homer says, "I can't believe you're making me drive to Oregon." The entire episode makes you believe they don't live in Oregon. Oh no!

megladon8
07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Last night I happened to turn on the TV when a new episode was on.

The plot involved the Simpsons and a few other characters trying to come up with an idea for the next huge tween book series.

They enlist the help of Neil Gaiman, who ends up contributing absolutely nothing but attempting to take credit.

When they first encounter him, Moe says something to the effect of, "I don't care if you're Neil Gaiman, author of 'Sandman Volume 1: Preludes and Nocturnes'!" And that...was the joke.

What the hell happened to this show?

Spinal
07-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I dunno. That's a pretty decent joke. He says he doesn't care, but he knows Gaiman's work to very specific detail. Would have to see it in context though.

Spinal
07-11-2012, 09:02 PM
So I just watched season 17 episode 11. This watch every episode thing is obviously taking a long while. But, in this episode Homer and Bart go to the airport to send Bart to Portland because he's going to go to some rehabilitation camp. Bart's on the no fly list so now he must be driven there and Homer says, "I can't believe you're making me drive to Oregon." The entire episode makes you believe they don't live in Oregon. Oh no!

Obviously, Homer is so dumb he doesn't realize that he's been living in Oregon all along.;)

Dukefrukem
09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Will be watching the 24th season;

ArC7XarwnWI

Dukefrukem
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
gAQ6jRMhw1M

MadMan
10-10-2012, 11:42 PM
That live action version of the opening credits ruled.

Dukefrukem
12-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Great hipster episode tonight.

Dukefrukem
06-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Want to go there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dxPN-XB2IjY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CM8Dj-kQhEA

Winston*
07-19-2013, 02:40 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/18/simpsons-family-guy-crossover-episode/

:sad:

Henry Gale
07-19-2013, 03:26 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/18/simpsons-family-guy-crossover-episode/

:sad:

This gag from last season seems like a precursor to this, especially since Dan Castellaneta supplied the voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx7C-k4U4Dk

But I guess they're all cool (or blissfully unaware) of the time Quagmire tried to rape Marge and then subsequently murdered the whole Simpsons family in their home?

Oh, you think I'm kidding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA_OqFm5mWo

Dukefrukem
08-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Here's every single movie reference in the Simpons. They are so good.

http://kotaku.com/every-single-movie-reference-in-the-first-ten-seasons-o-979183991

number8
10-03-2013, 10:02 PM
This Guillermo Del Toro directed opening is epic. Spot all the references.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtgYY7dhTyE

Dead & Messed Up
10-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Welp, I need a change of shorts.

Dukefrukem
10-03-2013, 10:33 PM
So good. Can you guys name everyone from 1:42?

Dead & Messed Up
10-03-2013, 10:44 PM
So good. Can you guys name everyone from 1:42?

Lovecraft, Poe, Bradbury, Matheson.

Dukefrukem
10-03-2013, 11:17 PM
And the one after that?

Romero?

Dead & Messed Up
10-03-2013, 11:26 PM
And the one after that?

Romero?

There isn't one after that. Each author is standing next to one of their creations.

Lovecraft next to Cthulhu, Poe and the Raven, Bradbury is painting the Illustrated Man, and Matheson (beret) stands beside one of the mutants from Omega Man (more of a stretch). After that, people run by, and it's the Universal parade.

number8
10-04-2013, 10:21 PM
My favorites. (http://www.artboiled.com/2013/the-best-references-in-guillermo-del-toros-simpsons-opening/)

Ezee E
10-05-2013, 12:14 AM
They have a heck of an update in the Tapped Out game if anybody plays it.

Dead & Messed Up
10-05-2013, 03:29 AM
My favorites. (http://www.artboiled.com/2013/the-best-references-in-guillermo-del-toros-simpsons-opening/)

Excellent thoughts, named a few I didn't recognize.

Also, someone online pointed out that the robot is pushing Serling away because Lost in Space took over Twilight Zone's time slot. It's amazing how layered some of the gags are.

Dukefrukem
10-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Anyone watch it tonight? was it any good?

EyesWideOpen
10-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Like Star Wars I had hoped that we as a society had moved past The Simpsons.

number8
10-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Anyone watch it tonight? was it any good?

It sucked ass. As expected, the intro was the best part.

One was a Cat in the Hat parody that went nowhere only to deliver the astoundingly topical punchline: "Don't let me be played by Mike Myers."

Their Freaks parody somehow managed to be less tolerant than the original film.

Henry Gale
10-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Yikes. Watched the whole episode too, for whatever reason. It was the third or fourth time I'd seen Del Toro's opening, but it was still the highlight by a long shot.

I need to rewatch the first seven or eight Treehouses to get the taste of this one out of my mouth. I really do want to like these new episodes when I sit down to give them a chance, and I was even mildly engaged by the Seuss parody for the first bit, but like everything in this show now seems to, it just crumbled into rapid-fire nothingness by the time it's done.

The series has just developed a maddeningly fast pace to fit in as many weak gags as possible without taking a single breath to let anything in the story and characters function on their own strength (if they're even there anymore). I don't even bother complaining about the animation being too clean, a lot of the characters not sounding like their old selves and the "episode's plot starts out one way and makes a number of radical shifts before the end without really resolving what happened before"-issue that's been around for the latter majority of the show.

My only glimmer of hope for the show's legacy is that they just end it as a full 22-a-year series, take some time off to focus on future movies, with TV specials or shorter runs of it that show up as they please with condensed ideas and inspiration. At this rate, it'll never end and it'll never improve.

Ezee E
11-17-2013, 04:55 PM
A NINE-figure deal has been made so that we can start streaming any episode around August next year.

Whatever FXX is.

Derek
11-18-2013, 12:58 AM
A NINE-figure deal has been made so that we can start streaming any episode around August next year.

Whatever FXX is.

It's a spin-off of FX, though they took at least a couple of successful comedies with them (It's Always Sunny... and The League are now on there). Horrible name, but it does leave the door open for the adult's only OnDemand Channel, FXXX.

Watashi
03-06-2014, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOi5OF7gAiM#t=65

John Kricfalusi
Banksy
Guillermo Del Toro
Bill Plympton

and now Sylvain Chomet

Seriously, how the hell are The Simpsons still relevant to get these pedigree of artists to work on this show?

Dukefrukem
04-07-2014, 11:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XheEGpNegbQ

Henry Gale
04-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Do you think anyone would notice (or care) if they just focused on new couch gags and ran reruns for the rest of the half hour? Because it seems like it would be much less work for everyone involved at this point with the same amount of buzz and relevance.

Dukefrukem
04-08-2014, 11:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldhf30YtWkI#t=15

MadMan
04-12-2014, 06:43 AM
Do you think anyone would notice (or care) if they just focused on new couch gags and ran reruns for the rest of the half hour? Because it seems like it would be much less work for everyone involved at this point with the same amount of buzz and relevance.Sadly I agree with this, and yet I still smiled and laughed at last Sunday's episode anyways.

Dukefrukem
05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGSpOfIr9Y

Dukefrukem
05-10-2014, 12:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxXrGPJw-c

Dukefrukem
07-29-2014, 01:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7YzXMzZ1bU#t=12

Dead & Messed Up
07-29-2014, 05:19 PM
"Your sister's being raped."

Oh, Family Guy, never change. Just stop altogether.

Kurosawa Fan
07-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that's just awful.

Henry Gale
09-29-2014, 12:52 AM
John Kricfalusi
Banksy
Guillermo Del Toro
Bill Plympton

and now Sylvain Chomet

And now Don Hertzfeldt. It was a pretty insane and incredible two minutes of national television. (I'll edit this with the link when they post it.)

10 minutes 'til the Family Guy crossover episode. Kind of funny how the last two posts in this DaMU and KF are about the rape joke that only this week caught fire with mainstream press. For what it's worth, I feel like the joke is deliberately supposed to be about how Family Guy characters are tone deaf and vile, and the scene is about making that particularly obvious when Stewie is put side by side with the innocent juvenility of a young Simpson. Going from an "I.P. Freely" punchline to a rape one is just the obvious extreme opposite.

But ok, here comes the episode! Can't wait (to end this trepidation over it)!

Philip J. Fry
09-29-2014, 04:09 AM
Yeah, the episode was horrible.

Henry Gale
09-29-2014, 04:44 AM
Yeah, the episode was horrible.

Took the post right outta my mouth!

At best it was a failed exercise in trying to see whether or not you can sustain an entire hour-long episode almost entirely with shallow meta jokes. I honestly got most of the laughs out of the early, pre-Simpsons scenes, and then small things like the two James Woods coming together were amusing enough. Otherwise? Oof.

The Simpsons' willingness to provide a forum for Family Guy to use the general public's feelings on "the last 13 years" felt more sad than self-effacing, commendable, or of course, at all funny. It just felt more like MacFarlane and/or the FG writers room general venting over their generational take on the show's decline, with their own show-affiliation bias finding its way into the dialogue and Duff vs. Pawtucket allegory. Just a weird device to become the key plot of the crossover. Though I did like the touch of Fred Flinstone presiding as the judge over their court case.

Henry Gale
09-29-2014, 09:10 PM
But OK, here's the haunting highlight of last night's Fox block:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y

You are a treasure, Hertzfeldt.

megladon8
09-29-2014, 09:28 PM
So, who died?

Henry Gale
09-29-2014, 09:41 PM
So, who died?

Krusty's dad. Let us have a moment of-- *sneezes and gets distracted*

What were we talking about?

Ezee E
09-29-2014, 09:57 PM
That opening is terrifying.

Watashi
09-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Best thing on The Simpsons in 20 years?

Spinal
09-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Best thing on The Simpsons in 20 years?

It's pretty awesome. But I think Banksy is still tops in my book.

Kurosawa Fan
09-29-2014, 11:43 PM
It's pretty awesome. But I think Banksy is still tops in my book.

Please watch It's Such a Beautiful Day. I think you'd love it.

Ivan Drago
10-01-2014, 03:14 AM
And now Don Hertzfeldt. It was a pretty insane and incredible two minutes of national television. (I'll edit this with the link when they post it.)

That couch gag was the best thing to happen on The Simpsons since Mr. Sparkle.

Dead & Messed Up
10-01-2014, 08:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y

Homer and Marge lasting to the heat death of the universe is pretty poignant.

I think this is better than the Banksy one, and the Banksy one is better than the del Toro one, but all three are fantastic.

Spun Lepton
10-02-2014, 04:26 PM
DON'T. DON'T HAVE COW. MAN. DON'T! DON'T HAVE COW. MAN! DON'T!!! DON'T HAVE COW MAN!! DON'T!!! HAVE COW MAN!! DON'T!!

Oh, Hertzfeldt, you mad genius.

Dukefrukem
10-21-2014, 12:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNGVaN8FPYw

number8
05-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Wow. The show has been renewed but Harry Shearer just quit. How the hell is that gonna work?!

Dukefrukem
05-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Yeh I heard this morning. Either they need to recast, or start killing off some characters. I'd imagine there's some good impressionists out there that could fill in.

Its only there characters you need to worry about. Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders and Principal Skinner.

The rest are expendable.

Ned Flanders
Charles Montgomery Burns
Waylon Smithers
Seymour Skinner
Dr. Hibbert
Lenny Leonard
Kent Brockman
Scratchy
Kang
Eddie
Otto Mann
Rev. Lovejoy
Rainier Wolfcastle
Jasper
Dewey Largo
Sanjay
Dr. Marvin Monroe
Jebediah Springfield
Marty
Herman
Judge Roy Snyder
Bill Clinton
Clancy Bouvier
Dr. J. Loren Pyror
George H. W. Bush
Nigel
Maggie Simpson (using his Kang voice)
President Arnold Schwarzenegger
Freak Show Manager
Guy who Doesn't Know if He's Sarcastic
London Symphony Orchestra
Pig Guy
Al Gore
John Travolta
Bort (Man)
Skull
Kissing Cop
Toll Booth Man
Guard
Zookeper
Comedian
Cameraman
Phil the Alien
Bank Owner
Sailor
Man on Video
Regular Teacher
Telegram Man
Fat Prisoner
Texan 1
Texan 2
Plastic Surgeon
Man at Graduation
Admiral Mann
Man 1 in Future
Man 3 at Gas Station
Shelbyville Homer
Hugh Jass
Sam (barfly)

Spun Lepton
05-14-2015, 02:12 PM
This sounds like a death rattle for The Simpsons. I know I won't be interested in hearing recast voices for all of Shearer's roles.

number8
05-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Al Jean confirmed that they're not getting rid of anyone. They're gonna find replacements for those characters.

number8
07-07-2015, 06:02 PM
lol

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/15/harry-shearer-simpsons-returns

Spinal
07-07-2015, 06:29 PM
$300,000 per episode?!

... sigh ...

D_Davis
07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
But I thought piracy was killing old media?

Spun Lepton
07-07-2015, 10:59 PM

Well, let's keep in mind that this show has been Fox's juggernaut for more than 20 years. I'm not surprised they'd pay through the nose to keep it running.

D_Davis
07-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Is The Simpsons on any of the streaming services?

Spun Lepton
07-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Is The Simpsons on any of the streaming services?

Limited streaming through the Fox.com website, at the very least.

number8
07-08-2015, 01:24 AM
Every single episode on https://www.simpsonsworld.com.

Spun Lepton
07-08-2015, 02:41 AM
Honestly, I don't know why I was even arguing.

EyesWideOpen
07-08-2015, 03:06 AM
It is that's why they are no longer releasing seasons on DVD or bluray.

Philip J. Fry
10-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Cannot believe what I'm saying, but... the latest Simpsons episode was pretty good.

Dukefrukem
10-23-2015, 04:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB03kM8kbHs

Dukefrukem
01-11-2016, 12:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu5iDTtNg0

number8
09-16-2016, 11:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D420SOmL6U

Gittes
10-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Did anyone see last season's non-"Treehouse of Horror" Halloween episode? It's called "Halloween of Horror"; it's about Lisa getting scared at Krustyland. Before seeing it, I was of course aware that many think the show has gone downhill and I hadn't watched a new episode in years. I remember that one being fantastic in many respects, however — the animation included.

I love all of the early Treehouse of Horror episodes, but I'm not sure if there are any newer ones that are worth a look? I'll probably check out the upcoming one. Homer angrily interpreting the dry turkey in his sandwich as a sign of the monkey's paw screwing him over again is one of my fondest memories of this show. Another one is when the entire family gets abducted by Krang and Kodos in the very first "Treehouse" episode, and Homer ambles over while munching away on a hamburger, and just dopily takes in the situation without any sign of alarm. The "How to Cook For Forty Humans" gag, from that same episode, is another bit of hilarity that's been seared into my memory.

number8
10-12-2016, 02:36 PM
I believe the opinion has somewhat turned around? At least that's what I heard from critics and fans that are still watching regularly. I think once a long running show hit a low point, there's no going back from the public opinion that it sucks, because people naturally jump ship and don't keep up and don't realize when a show eventually bounces back, especially when it takes years for it to do so (a lot like SNL in that regard). But as far as I know, while of course it's no longer as good as its peak, apparently people don't think it's awful like it was a decade ago.

Henry Gale
10-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I still watch from time to time (usually based on guest stars or a novel premise) and it's definitely a step up from the years of "Homer gets raped by a panda in a Christmas episode" or the 500th episode --which is mainly just a five-year-later retread of the movie -- where the family is banished from Springfield to a place called The Outlands (where they meet guest star Julian Assange!) and instead of letting them back in at the end of the episode, everyone leaves and constructs an exact replica of Springfield in the Outlands, meaning the series now exists in an alternate Springfield entirely.

And those are just the first two that came to mind instead of the outright dull duds that have just left my memory.

In the end, I mainly just keep my ear to what critics or online chatter seems to perk up about as being especially good ones of late and checking those out. "Halloween of Horror" IS a very good one. Another one called "Million Dollar Maybe" is a standout I remember, but the internet tells me that was (eek!) six years ago.

Otherwise, I think I've said before (even here) that I think their entire relevance is now through its couch gags, and Fox could easily keep the show going for decades on Sunday nights just by showing classic episodes after new opening credits. It's a show that just can't get a pass for being not-bad most of the time when it used to be the best.

Ezee E
10-12-2016, 10:59 PM
I don't know a single person that can recap a scene in a recent Simpsons episode for the last decade. Who are these people?

Dukefrukem
10-12-2016, 11:20 PM
I don't know a single person that can recap a scene in a recent Simpsons episode for the last decade. Who are these people?

Well they just visited Boston last weekend. It was really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItjO6Fsmn2A

Dukefrukem
06-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-TS-92KVDA

Dead & Messed Up
06-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Thought that video had an interesting proposition (the episode is a bad one and an ill omen), but was sorta bummed that the video-maker didn't really explain how this signaled the beginning of the end or a shift, or how episodes before and after really separated, etc.

Seems more like a good video about a bad episode.

number8
08-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Wow, I wonder what they're trying to do here.

Two-time Emmy winner Alf Clausen has been fired from “The Simpsons” after 27 years of providing music for Bart, Lisa, and company.

Clausen told Variety that he received a call from “Simpsons” producer Richard Sakai that the company was seeking “a different kind of music” and that he would no longer be scoring the longtime Fox hit.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/simpsons-composer-alf-clausen-fired-1202543183/