PDA

View Full Version : Hitchcock (Sacha Gervasi)

Kiusagi
12-21-2012, 07:40 AM
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/hitchcock-poster-anthony-hopkins.jpg

IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0975645/)

Kiusagi
12-21-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm giving this a yay, but my reaction is more like a "meh". Some fun is to be had, but it's pretty forgettable. Reminded me a lot of Ed Wood, but not nearly as good. Hopkins and Mirren do well, but the rest of the cast don't leave much of an impression. I guess it's worth checking out if you're a big fan of Hitchcock and/or Psycho, but that doesn't mean you'll like it, especially since most of this story is fictional, from what I hear.

Mal
01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
I enjoyed Helen Mirren and Scarlett Johansson, who seemed ripe for the material and this take on Hollywood, even if this take on Hollywood is as simplistic and boring as bosses and on-set bickering merely because they can do so... probably only worth watching on cable and if you're not a Hitchcock fan (because frankly, I am and this movie doesn't seem interested in actually telling us a thing about him other than he has money troubles).

Lucky
04-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Yeesh, this doesn't deserve its horrendous MC rating. It's a competent biopic led by a pair of quality lead performances. Is it anything more than that? Not really, but I actually had an invested interest in the subject matter before I sat down to watch it. The supporting cast doesn't bring much to the table even though Scarlett fits like a glove here, but it is well-paced and gets the job done. Much better than the HBO effort.

Winston*
04-15-2013, 02:32 AM
There was a sketch on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast making fun of biopics, Nowhere Boy specifically, with the line angrily yelled 'Why don't just call yourself The Beatles then?!"

Every line in the trailer for this seemed like that.

Grouchy
05-23-2013, 05:50 AM
There was a sketch on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast making fun of biopics, Nowhere Boy specifically, with the line angrily yelled 'Why don't just call yourself The Beatles then?!"

Every line in the trailer for this seemed like that.
This kind of writing pisses me off also. It's like dictating exposition to the audience (usually a writing no-no) is suddenly OK if it's a biopic of a very well known person.

Anyway, this movie was awful. Mirren and Hopkins were good, but as a Hitchcock fan, it gave me nothing even remotely insightful or sharp.