PDA

View Full Version : Because it doesn't get old...

Wryan
01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fsDL24o8uM

Discuss this garrulous, gratuitous wunderfuck of an ending!

Buffaluffasaurus
01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I almost walked out during this. One of the worst endings ever committed to celluloid.

origami_mustache
01-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I always forget that I actually saw this film.

Llopin
01-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Kickass.

MadMan
01-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I've never seen this film. Is it any good? Should I go track it down? I must have answers! Even if they're full of opinion and stuff of that nature :P

Sycophant
01-22-2008, 10:44 PM
I've watched this scene on its own so many times in the past couple months. It's breathtakingly good.

D_Davis
01-22-2008, 11:51 PM
One of my favorite endings. What a way to end a chambara flick, not with sword fight, but with all of the characters, both alive and dead, joining together to share a moment of happiness. Happiness is something not often shown in the genre, and here it is shown with skill. This reminds me of the reasons why I like Mindgame, Funky Forest and Taste of Tea so much. A pure celebration of life and love.

Sven
01-23-2008, 04:27 AM
I almost walked out during this. One of the worst endings ever committed to celluloid.

Are you serious? Boo! BOOOOO!

Buffaluffasaurus
01-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Are you serious? Boo! BOOOOO!
I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

Mysterious Dude
01-23-2008, 04:47 AM
Dumb scene.

Sven
01-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Seriously, guys? Seriously?

Rather than being outrageously confused, might I ask for a defense of your stances?

D_Davis
01-24-2008, 03:25 AM

Rather than being outrageously confused, might I ask for a defense of your stances?

They must hate creativity and emotion.

I shouldn't have to, but ;)

Buffaluffasaurus
01-24-2008, 03:44 AM

I'm surprised you really need to ask.

It had no place in the film. It's so tonally jarring and incessant, and it adds nothing to the movie for me but annoyance. What is the purpose of it? To end the film on a note of sheer uselessness and vapidity? I found it neither amusing nor entertaining in any loose application of the word, and it just went on and on and on.

And don't get me started on the Mighty Morphin' Geisha Rangers.

They must hate creativity and emotion.
How is it creative to randomly insert a scene that has nothing to do with the film stylistically, narratively or tonally?

And even if it did fit in with the rest of the film, I found it an incredibly boring number.

D_Davis
01-24-2008, 04:45 AM
How is it creative to randomly insert a scene that has nothing to do with the film stylistically, narratively or tonally?

And even if it did fit in with the rest of the film, I found it an incredibly boring number.

Usually the ;) emoticon means "just joshin'!"

However,

It is a celebration of love and humanity and contrasts a film set in a genre that is typified by violence and coldness. It's a creative way to bring a bit of happiness to the film, and Takeshi adds a welcomed moment of humanity in his homage to the films he grew up watching. And in a metatextual way, he is adding a bit of his old self to the routine. It is totally Takeshi, and it totally works as a contrast to the genre, one that often ends in bloodshed and loneliness.

Mysterious Dude
01-24-2008, 05:19 AM
It's a creative way to bring a bit of happiness to the film
I think it is possibly the most uncreative way to bring happiness to the film. He just sticks it at the end with no explanation or context. It's a total non sequitur.

lovejuice
01-24-2008, 05:34 AM

i'm disappointed in you. aren't you the one who comes up with the nobel prizing winning formula of any random musical number will immensely improve a random movie?

D_Davis
01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I think it is possibly the most uncreative way to bring happiness to the film. He just sticks it at the end with no explanation or context. It's a total non sequitur.

But you have to look at in context to the genre, not just the film. Takeshi has always been a commentator on genre. Chambara films often end in acts of violence which lead to moments of sadness and loneliness. Takeshi did the exact opposite. He broke decades worth of tradition and did something totally out of the ordinary, and injected a great deal of happiness and love into the end of his film. This ending often upsets people who are looking for the tried and true, but I appreciate it for its explosion of emotion and for its absurdity.

Skitch
01-24-2008, 03:35 PM
That scene was totally awesome...snoogins.

What you think it means?! I'm fuckin' kiddin'!