PDA

View Full Version : Barty's Top 10 Scores of 2007

Barty
01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Clicky (http://youtube.com/watch?v=yOGLWf2xoyU)

Ivan Drago
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who really likes the 300 score.

[ETM]
01-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Zimmer Inc.? Really?

EvilShoe
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
:|
My two favorites don't even get a mention: Nick Cave & Warren Ellis for the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and John Murphy for Sunshine.

Barty
01-22-2008, 03:13 PM
;27648']Zimmer Inc.? Really?

I watched my video again. Nope, I didn't accidentally edited in scores that weren't supposed to be on it.

Barty
01-22-2008, 03:13 PM
My two favorites don't even get a mention: Nick Cave & Warren Ellis for the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and John Murphy for Sunshine.

It happens.

EvilShoe
01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
It happens.
Defeated by 300, of all things.

Lucky
01-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't know if it was just the clip you chose as I haven't seen the movie, but Beowulf's score didn't impress me. What did impress me was National Treasure. There's a score I never would have thought to listen to even if it is slightly derivative.

From the movies I've seen of 2007 I'll echo the lack of the Sunshine score and add Moby's unique and haunting score for Southland Tales.

Barty
01-24-2008, 07:41 AM
I don't know if it was just the clip you chose as I haven't seen the movie, but Beowulf's score didn't impress me.

I thought it had some good themes, and Silvestri finally managed to write a score that didn't bore me after his last few.

What did impress me was National Treasure. There's a score I never would have thought to listen to even if it is slightly derivative.

I was going in to clean a auditorium at my work, and the end credits came on and I was shocked at how good the music was. :lol:

[ETM]
01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
I was going in to clean a auditorium at my work, and the end credits came on and I was shocked at how good the music was. :lol:

I have only seen the first film, but from your video the sequel uses the same thematic material - I really liked the sound. It's funny how often trashy films have decent music. I still listen to J.N.Howard's The Postman (though I stop at the folk songs and the one where Costner sings). :frustrated:

Barty
01-24-2008, 07:06 PM
;28629']I have only seen the first film, but from your video the sequel uses the same thematic material - I really liked the sound. It's funny how often trashy films have decent music. I still listen to J.N.Howard's The Postman (though I stop at the folk songs and the one where Costner sings). :frustrated:

It definitely uses the same thematic material, but it's a lot less rough. Aka: Less pulsing electronics, more orchestra.

And a lot of bad movies do have great scores. I'll throw in Waterworld for Newton-Howard.

origami_mustache
01-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Yeah, the Sunshine score is pretty great.

[ETM]
01-24-2008, 08:09 PM
It definitely uses the same thematic material, but it's a lot less rough. Aka: Less pulsing electronics, more orchestra.

Indeed. Trevor Rabin always could produce memorable tunes and action pieces, but often lacks finesse. I mean - most of his work is for Bruckheimer, so it's to be expected.