PDA

View Full Version : Flight (Robert Zemeckis)

Watashi
11-06-2012, 03:12 PM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1907668/)

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2012/10/19/previews/Flight-0024-20121019-54.jpg

number8
11-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I was reading an interview with Denzel in EW about this, and he laughed at how misleading the trailers are. "Yeah, they really fool you."

Apparently the whole spectacular landing-then-trial plot from the trailers are really minor things in the movie, and most of it is actually just a drama about one guy overcoming alcoholism.

Heh.

Pop Trash
11-06-2012, 05:54 PM
One star?! Do tell Wats.

Watashi
11-06-2012, 06:58 PM
It's terrible.

It has one the greatest and surprising first scenes of the year (and maybe all cinema), but after that, it just (and pardon the pun, how can you not use it) nosedives and crashes into the ground and becomes meandering dull PSA about alcoholism. Even the plane crash isn't that intense because I know Denzel is going to make everything okay.

It's just so bare bones that it becomes comical that it repeats different scenes over and over. We never see anything from another perspective. We don't care about the investigation because there is no stakes in it. John Goodman plays the strangest character I've seen him play. It feels like a 90's Taylor Hackford movie.

transmogrifier
11-06-2012, 09:57 PM
It feels like a 90's Taylor Hackford movie.

If it's as enjoyably trashy as The Devil's Advocate, sign me up.

Pop Trash
11-07-2012, 03:40 PM
If it's as enjoyably trashy as The Devil's Advocate, sign me up.

My thoughts exactly. Also, as DAMU will tell you, Dolores Claiborne isn't too shabby either.

number8
11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Budweiser is upset that Denzel's character drinks Budweiser in the film, asks for their logos to be blurred out.

http://www.macon.com/2012/11/05/2238750/apnewsbreak-budweiser-seeks-removal.html

Heh.

Fezzik
11-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Budweiser is upset that Denzel's character drinks Budweiser in the film, asks for their logos to be blurred out.

http://www.macon.com/2012/11/05/2238750/apnewsbreak-budweiser-seeks-removal.html

Heh.

God forbid we show people that drinking beer gets people drunk. This is completely asinine.

Boner M
11-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Flight's soundtrack cuts are absolutely brutal - the musical equivalent of descriptive video.

"Alcohol" by Barenaked Ladies in a scene w/alcohol and a bare naked lady. Truly amazing stuff.

also "I get high with a little help from my friends" after he gets high with a little help from his friends. brilliant.

don't forget gimme shelter when he seeks shelter
:lol:

Pop Trash
11-08-2012, 02:46 AM
:lol:

I read about the music choices somewhere else which made me wonder about all the positive reviews (before Wats' MASSIVELY INFLUENTIAL one star stinkbomb). I love the song, but can we put "Gimme Shelter" in the cinematic retirement bin next to Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" (and, what the hell, the Leonard Cohen version as well).

EyesWideOpen
12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
I enjoyed this. Denzel can do roles like this in his sleep.

Rowland
12-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that so few of us have seen this yet. Mind you, I wouldn't classify it as must-see cinema, but it's certainly worthwhile. I might give Denzel a Best Actor nod at the very least, it's his best performance in ages, and he makes it look so damn easy.

plain
12-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Sadly, there's not much else other than Denzel that works in this film.

eternity
12-24-2012, 10:48 PM
It's weird how similar this movie is to another 2012 release, Arbitrage. They deal with the exact same themes and conflicts, but everything has the exact opposite outcomes.

NickGlass
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
"I'M DRUNK RIGHT NOW."

NickGlass
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
I almost want to admire its bold, if often reprehensible, choices; unfortunately, the most risible parts of this film are the most memorable.

"PRAISE JESUS."

Melissa Leo does some great acting with eyeglasses in this, though.

Skitch
01-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Flight (a.k.a Leaving Las Vegas 2: High In The Sky, a.k.a. When Drunky Met Junky: Noticeable Overbite Edition). This was a solid film all around, but Oscar worthy? Not quite. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you can tolerate watching self-destructing characters work very hard to destroy their lives.

Denzel Washington is terrific as always, and John Goodman should always have some role with him. They play so well together. Flight does struggle with finding a genre, as it bounces from character study to tragedy thriller to drug movie to comedy to lawyer film and all around the horn again. As it is it plays like a drama full of assholes with too little too late redemption to merit watching again. It brings up a pretty controversial argument at its core, but its impossible to get closure on an unanswerable question.

It reminded me of The Men Who Stare At Goats. Quite amusing for a first watch, but no desire to revisit. So like me, you guys should check it out, then shrug, and go on about your lives. A moderate thumbs up. 6/10

Grouchy
02-13-2013, 05:17 AM
This started very interesting and I think everyone has to agree that the plane crash sequence is a suspense and action-filled stand-out. I personally have no fear of planes (although maybe I should) but the scene kept me on the edge of my seat.

Then it becomes boring trite with a really asinine and preachy ending. Same as everyone else, I found the musical choices laughable. I actually think the movie would be a lot better if the guy got away with it and it remained open-ended as to what he will do with his alcohol problem.

I enjoyed the John Goodman.

NickGlass
02-13-2013, 02:33 PM
My favorite moment is the look that Denzel gives when the plane's wing takes off a church's steeple. It's a perfect mix of a shrug and a stern "Ha."

Fezzik
02-21-2013, 11:50 AM
I wish I liked this more. Washington was reliably great and his nomination was deserved, but how in the hell did the screenplay warrant a nod?

It was nothing but one contrivance after another. Near the end, when...

Whip finds the door to the adjoining room unlocked, allowing him access to alcohol

I almost turned it off.

The entire subplot with the heroin addict seemed tacked on. Not because it didn't serve a purpose, but because of how it developed. They meet in a stairwell and suddenly, he's visiting her. Um, ok. I just found that creepy.

In the end, it needs more John Goodman.

The plane crash was spectacular, though. One of the best cinematic sequences I've seen in some time. Probably not the best movie for my girlfriend to choose, though, considering she's getting on a plane to Switzerland in two weeks. She's freaking out now :/

I was really surprised that the accident was based on an actual disaster (Alaska Air Flight 261), including the decision to invert the plane. Crazy.

Dukefrukem
02-21-2013, 12:06 PM
I heard there is a really good sex scene in this movie.

EyesWideOpen
02-21-2013, 12:07 PM
The John Goodman character for me was easily the low point of the movie. That character seemed forced and just written in to bring the lulz.

Ezee E
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
The John Goodman character for me was easily the low point of the movie. That character seemed forced and just written in to bring the lulz.

Agreed. He'd be great in a Coen world though.

Fezzik
02-21-2013, 01:08 PM

That's kinda my point, I guess. As written, his character is pointless. If he'd been in the movie more, maybe it wouldn't have felt so gimmicky. Plus, I love me some John Goodman.

Fezzik
02-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I almost want to admire its bold, if often reprehensible, choices; unfortunately, the most risible parts of this film are the most memorable.

"PRAISE JESUS."

This bothered me so much. The wife was a dead-eyed, droning cultist. Why are Christians almost always portrayed this way? My girlfriend and I are both Christian and this really disturbed us...it was borderline offensive/satirical and it kind of pulled us out of the movie.

Skitch
02-21-2013, 08:56 PM
I heard there is a really good sex scene in this movie.

You know Ruxson's wife from The League? Bonkers nude in first ten minutes. Thats about it.

Scar
02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Denzel and Goodman are great. Started off good, but in the end, three stars is the absolute best I can give it.

And, I hate to say it, I know some of those doe eyed Christians. I think Fez might be reaching when he says that Christians are almost always portrayed this way.

Fezzik
02-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Denzel and Goodman are great. Started off good, but in the end, three stars is the absolute best I can give it.

And, I hate to say it, I know some of those doe eyed Christians. I think Fez might be reaching when he says that Christians are almost always portrayed this way.

Not portrayed in that specific way, but in a very negative light.

Scar
02-22-2013, 02:27 AM
Not portrayed in that specific way, but in a very negative light.

I'm game for some specific examples, as well as examples of other religions being portrayed in a negative light and what you thought of those as well.

Mal
12-01-2013, 06:01 AM
This really movie sucks a finding a correct tone, I couldn't stand the use of music here - Heroin Girl and Cancer Guy were more interesting suffering types than Denzel here.

Gizmo
01-06-2014, 06:30 PM
I found this one to be decent, not great. Drug in parts, and was intense/engaging in others. Denzel performed well most other parts were hit and miss.